The scoop on 'Spring River Nurseries Inc'

Spring River Nurseries Inc

Hartford, Michigan 49057 (United States)

This company is affiliated with Gardener's Choice

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative jackknowitall
New ringgold
United States
May 10, 2013
SPRING RIVER NURSERIES: We placed an order on 03/27/13 and called two weeks later to check on the order. A response from a customer service said it would be shipped shortly, just check when your credit card is charged you will get the order 5-7 days later. Card was charged on 05/01/13 got an E-Mail saying the order was shipped on 05/03/13. Called on 05/09/13 nasty customer service rep. told us E-mail sent was wrong and plants did not even leave shipping yet, Sent them E-Mail about being dissatisfied and got a nasty response saying plants would not be shipped for another 7-14 days and they could take up to 30 days if they wanted. Very nasty people to deal with, have ordered plants over the years from other company's and never had issues with any orders always fast service and good quality plants. DO NOT DO BUSSINESS WITH A COMPANY WHO TREATS CUSTOMERS WITH AN "WE DON"T CARE ATTITUDE"
Positive garagehero1
South Pasadena, CA
April 24, 2013
I have had underwhelming experiences with many mail order nurseries in the past, but I was not disappointed with Spring River. I ordered San Marzano tomatoes, and received three plants. They were not the strong plants you can buy at the local nursery, and though they looked a bit scrawny, they were entirely viable and packed so moisture was retained in the roots. I planted them right away and they worked out fine. Within a week they were as big and strong as local-bought. The trick with internet nurseries is to plant them as soon as you receive them, in the best possible soil( aerated, tilled, amended) and in most cases, don't expect the plants to be as strong or vibrant as those you can buy locally. But the pricing is very good and as is their selection of unusual or rare plants. Spring River, I shall buy again.
Positive billfrog
Sulphur Springs, TX
April 18, 2013
I read the reviews here and almost didn't order from Spring River Nurseries. My wife talked me into it because of the price and some of the good reports other customers left on this and other sites. I am very glad she did!!!! I ordered 48 lavender plants and 8 lemon grass plants. They were the most beautiful and healthy plants I could have ever expected. I really hope other people give them a chance.
Positive baroque70
Livonia, MI
June 7, 2012
I have ordered from other mail order nurseries, and been very disappointed. Plants have arrived dead, or have died immediately after planting. And typically, there were no instructions with the plants. Because of my prior experience, my expectations were pretty low. I was very pleasantly surprised when my plants arrived from Spring River Nurseries! They were healthy, well-packaged, the roots were moist, and there was a helpful booklet with full information about caring for the plants I had ordered. I will be ordering from Spring River again. Bravo!
Negative floridawendy
April 11, 2012
I never order live plants through the mail, but my husband was so excited by the catalog that I gave in. Big mistake. I ordered a banana tree, tomatoes, and cucumbers. As stated by many others, I never received a confirmation email, only an automated response that my payment had been processed. I placed the order in early March, the plants arrived 4/6/12. All were shriveled, dry, and brown with very little soil. The roots crumbled off when I attempted to plant them. Emailed to request a refund and after 5 days received an email stating "Please return your invoice for a refund as we are no longer shipping to your area this season." Interesting why 5 days would make a difference, but hey, it's Florida. We'll see how the refund process goes.

In short, don't bother ordering plants through the mail. Find a good local nursery and save yourself the headache (and the shipping charges).
Neutral Suzie_que
Avondale, PA
April 6, 2012
I just ordered $109.75 worth of plants from this company. I received 1 email regarding my order, no conformation nothing other than my payment went through. I am concerned regarding the negative comments regarding the shipping of and how the plants arrived. I cannot get in touch with this company via e-mail. I should have received an e-mail by now stating that my order has shipped. I ordered from 2 other companys and have received an order conformation and an e-mail stating my order has shipped. I have received both orders from the other companys in which I ordered on the same day as I ordered from Spring River which was 3/31/12. I hope I am not going to have a problem with my large order and I would like feed back on if I am going to receive my plants very soon and receive them alive. I guess I will have to do more research regarding my order.
Company representative comment on April 11, 2012:
On Apr 11, 2012 11:35 AM, Spring River Nurseries Inc responded with:

Avondale , Pa is a zone 5 and we qill not begin shipping to your area until May 1st. Your Order is in our system and will ship after May 1st. Your order is #5386449 .
Please email this information to us or you may call and talk with any Customer Service Reps in our Offices. Thanks

Negative Richard8952
LORIDA, FL
March 12, 2012
Company doesn't ship items in timely manner for Florida residence. Order are shipped in April which means that the ripening period runs into July when the heat burns up plants. Most plants in Florida Tomato,pepper and Strawberries need to be planted in early march.

Their Customer Service Agents out right lie. When asking why they couldn't ship in Mid March as stated in their catelog the agent said because it was snowing and the plants would ide due to cold weather. I looked up weather for their area and it was in the 60 and 70's.

Order from them at the risk that they will not deliver plants for prime time planting
Company representative comment on March 15, 2012:
On Mar 15, 2012 10:37 AM, Spring River Nurseries Inc responded with:

We are having unseasonably warm temperatures here in Michigan but, we still have to ship when our products are ready.
We originally thought we would be able to ship this week, but, shipping has been delayed by about 10 days.
We offer a 90 day money back guarantee on all products. Please feel free to contact us if you have any problems with your order once the order is received.
We will gladly reship or refund whichever you choose. Thank you - Spring River Customer Service

Neutral TLynnK
(Zone 7b)
March 1, 2012
Just received their catalog - another no-name garden company promising "amazing results!" I have not ordered from this company but I have from similar nurseries & plant distributors. The plants arrived dead or near death every time, and never grew. One thing most of these these bad companies have in common - cheap, cheesy mail order catalogs full of overexagerated, hand-drawn pictures. They show up every spring. I toss them in the compost bin where they can actually do some good for my garden. Stick with well-known or familiar companies for better results. Or, get friendly with your local family nursery for the best deals and easy returns, and to see what you're getting up front.
Company representative comment on March 15, 2012:
On Mar 15, 2012 10:47 AM, Spring River Nurseries Inc responded with:

Spring River Nurseries is not just another hand drawn catalog. Our catalog is all actual photos, with all items grown here at our nursery.
We have been in business since 1978, and we are a Second - Generation Family Owned and Operated Business. We take pride in all we do here at Spring River.
I would like to suggest to anyone that you try our products before you believe what you read online.
Spring River is more than happy to take care of any problem you have within 90 days.

Negative director2
San Marcos, TX
May 14, 2011
I ordered 6 Lavender plants from Spring River Nurseries on April 2. Received them April 27. They were limp, brown, and so small you could not tell dirt from root. I planted them anyway and nutured for 2 weeks - nothing turned green - they showed no sign of life. I have just written asking for a full refund. I guess we all share a common problem. Just cannot understand why the Michigan BBB gives them an A+ rating. That needs to be adjusted for sure.

Neutral Survivor876
Holliston, MA
March 16, 2011
Was going to buy lavender from them, but wanted to look them up. Found this site and it really turned me off of them. Then I looked them up in the BBB for MI. Found they have an A+ rating. Confused now. Would like to know if anyone on here reported them to the BBB. They have only been registered with BBB since 2004. Don't think I am going to order from them, just in case. Here is the link to it if anyone is interested.

Also found name and numbers for anyone who is having trouble contacting this place.

Name: Spring River Nursery
Address: 81961 County Road 687
Hartford, MI 49057-8606

Original Business Start Date: January 1978
Principal: Mr. Bryan Paxson, Vice President
Customer Contact: Ms. Debbie Parker, Customer Service - (269) 621-2259
Employees: 50
Type of Business: Mail Order & Catalog Shopping, Seeds & Bulbs-Retail, Wholesalers & Distributors
BBB Accreditation: This organization is a BBB Accredited Business.

Did find a nice link if you want to order in bulk. Great prices and variety!

Negative jimcarrow
Boyne City, MI
June 2, 2010
I ordered 12 lavender plants from this company from an ad in a Sunday newspaper. As all of the other comments, my plants arrived dried up, bare root, brittle along with poor packaging for supposibly live plants. I called to get replacement plants and was told they had no more. I would receive a check for full refund in about 3 weeks. We'll see!
Negative carlynjean
La Crosse, WI
May 19, 2010
I received 3 crisp,dried up lavender plants yesterday, May 18, 2010. I waited for 5 weeks to receive them. I am not happy! I have asked for my money back.
Negative sandy206
Brown City, MI
June 18, 2009
My plants arrived more than 30 days after my check was cashed and have subsequentially died,also. Would like to receive a replacement order to replant now while the weather is nice here instead of a refund if at all possible. How would I go about doing that? Apparently I see that I am not the only person this has happened to.
Negative rlfoster
Stafford, KS
May 29, 2009
On March 6, 2009 I ordered @22.95 worth of lavender plants from Spring River Nurseries as a result of a Parade magazine ad.
About 6 weeks later they showed up and I put them right in and not a single one of them made it and I have requested my money back. So after reading all these comments I am not holding my breath.
Positive Ricinne
Waverly, NE
May 18, 2009
This spring, in late March of 2009, I ordered 6 lavender plants from Spring River Nursery in Hartford, Mi. After a few weeks they arrived, DOA, small, dried up and little material on the roots. I emailed their customer service people using their email address found here on Dave's Garden. In less than a week I had 12 very nice replacement plants, large and healthy. They went beyond their warranty requirements and were very helpful to me.
Positive wright276
Springfield Gardens, NY
May 15, 2009
I ordered 12 lavender seedlings from Spring River. The shipment arrived short one seedling. I e-mailed them and received a fresh set of seedlings within two days. I'd say that is good service.
Positive Dahliasforever
Cincinnati, OH
June 24, 2008
I fell in love with the picture of the "hardy lavender" advertised in a local ad. I am not one to usually respond to a mail order, but I had an idea of exactly what I wanted to do with the 12 lavenders. I ordered the end of March and received them in May. They did come in two different packages approximately 3-5 days apart. Yes, they were small, but then I didn't expect huge lavendar plants. I followed the directions for planting, purchasing sand and a rich soil mixture. However, within a week...and much rain...they did not survive. I called Spring River Nurseries and spoke with a very pleasant and helpful lady. (I wish I could remember her name.) She asked me what I wanted, and I requested a refund, which I received approximately 3 weeks later. I would order again from this company...just not lavendar...I don't think they do well in my area. I don't think Spring River Nursery is a ripoff! Next time I see something I like and think it will look good in my garden...I'm going to see how many other gardners in my neighborhood have that particular plant, and if they don't...well...there must be a reason...maybe it won't work in our climate.
Negative prayerj
Windber, PA
June 12, 2008
I can't believe what I have been reading here. I ordered tomato plants from an affiliate of this nursery in May. All I got was seeds. I emailed spring nursery asking for a refund. They emailed me back saying that they would look into it. After three more emails from me to them and them saying they would look into it, today I got TWENTY FOUR lavender plants in a package!!!! I think they have sent all the ones that you all have not received to ME! It would be funny if it were not so aggrevating! Does anyone know how to make this situation stop?
Thanks
Positive NutriMom
Independence, KS
June 7, 2008
My father ordered the 12 lavender out of the Sunday paper and waited and waited. He called and they apologized and found his order was mis-directed. They promptly sent the order out and he received them the same week. He then called to order two more (to fill his row) and they sent him six FREE because he had to wait for his first order. He was very satisfied with them and with the plants so far.
Negative johnso72
Naperville, IL
June 2, 2008
My husband and I ordered several lavender plants. Like others have stated, our check was cashed yet no plants arrived. I phoned and was told that they would arrive when it was appropriate for our climate. The plants finally arrived, 3 months after the check was cashed. Within 2 weeks after their arrival, all of the plants were dead. Please learn from our mistake. Save your money. Do NOT do business with this company!
Positive MimiVin
Aurora, CO
May 19, 2008
I ordered 12 of the lavender plants from a Sunday mailer back in April. My check was cashed within a week, and no plants were received a week after that (the end of April). In search of a web site, I found Dave's Garden, and was dismayed by the reviews I read. So many reports just like mine--a cashed check, and nothing to show for it. I immediately called the number listed, and spoke to a pleasant representative. She explained that the plants would be shipped at a time that was appropriate for planting the lavender in my zone, which happened to be mid-May. I told her that I'd not read many good things about her company, and I hoped that I wasn't being duped. She assured me that I wasn't. On May 12, I was pleasantly surprised (and majorly relieved!) to find two boxes from the nursery in my mail box, containing 6 healthy plants in each, and detailed instructions for care. Since the final outcome has been to my benefit, and Spring River's reputation's benefit, I felt that I ought to leave the details of my experience. I hope that my experience will become the norm for their customers, not an exception!
Neutral morganmae
Cleveland, OH
May 13, 2008
My check was cashed about 2 weeks ago and was just looking on the internet for the Spring River website because I didn't get my plants when I came across this one. My plants did come today and they are pathetic. I ordered 6 and got all 6 tiny little practically dead things. I'm going to plant them today and see what happens.
Negative reed617
Downingtown, PA
May 3, 2008
Sent my check in mid March, it was cashed on March 31, 2008. Its May 3, 2008, and no plants have arrived, nor word from the company. I've emailed the VP of advertising from Parade magazine to ask him why he is allowing a scam to be run in his publication.... a scam that it appears has been running for several years according to some of the dated posts on this site. I'll post his reply... that is, if he bothers to reply.
Negative CrowJane
Cold Spring, NY
May 1, 2008
This company BLOWS!
Paid $22.95 for 12 lavender plants-only received 6 and those had wet, rotten roots. The tops broke off when trying to plant them. They were also teeny, tiny seedlings, not established vigorous plants the ad leads you to believe you will receive and available elsewhere for the same or lower price.
Called them from the number on this site only to get a lot of lip from the service person.
There is no business number listed for them when dialing 411 and the website seems intentionally obscure.
BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE!
Positive irie5670
Cadillac, MI
May 1, 2008
I ordered the 12 hardy lavender plants from a Sunday mailer as well. The check was cashed and the first 6 plants arrived in very nice condition on April 30. I called after seeing this site to inquire about the other six. A very pleasant lady explained that they were shipped seperatly and should recieve them shortly. I was actually surprised to recieve them this soon due to northern Michigans climate. Unless the other six do not show up, I am completely satisfied.
Negative hog_tied
Rogers, AR
April 29, 2008
I ordered 6 Hardy Lavender plants from the Parade ad in my local paper. I mailed my check on 3/31/08 and it was cashed by Spring River on 4/7/08. I have called and left a message on their answering machine regarding my order. Today is 4/29/08 and I have not received a response to my inquiry nor have I received the plants.

It appears from the many comments left here that I will need to go to a local nursery in order to fill the spot in my garden that has been waiting for these plants. This is a disappointment. I will not order from this company again.
Neutral dcreeder
Shepherdsville, KY
April 25, 2008
I found this site after ordering from Spring River Nurseries When I received my plants well I thought "they look healthy" I followed the planting instructions & they survived about a week & then all 12 plants were dead I do hope they replace them or refund my money Thank You!
On May 25th, 2008, dcreeder changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I emailed this company about my misforture with them (all 12 lavender plants died) I asked for a replacement or refund Well the other day I actually received a check from them for $18.00 Was glad they refunded my money but no expantation So I assumed they had no lavender plants to replace them so I can see their quality no more business with this company
Negative rpvgardener
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
April 24, 2008
I ordered a lavender plant on March 25 and as of April 23 I have not received it. I found this website looking for their address to inquire why. I have used your link to register a complaint and if I don't get satisfaction I will notify the Better Business Bureau. If there are this many people who have found this site and posted a complaint, imagine how many others have had this same problem with this company without having a chance to let others know.
Negative jeanpgh
Pittsburgh, PA
April 22, 2008
I also ordered lavendar plants they arrived dead and crumbly,my money was taken and then I got took.
to all who see this companies add in your respective papers do your self a favor and use the add as started paper for your fireplace/b.b.q. that is all it is really good for.
and then go to a reputable nursery in your area and get them to come out and give estimates for the plants you might want and ask if they will plant them for you as well.not that expensive and less stress on your back. AGAIN DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY !!! IF YOU DO THEN CHANGE YOUR NAME TO SUCKER!! CAUSE YOU JUST GOT TOOK.
Positive pooralvin
Newark, TX
April 18, 2008
i ordered 3 lavenders 1 did not make it. i contacted the company and they are sending 6 free ones!!
Negative dsotho
Lexington Park, MD
March 31, 2008
Thank goodness I decided to go to Dave's Garden when I went on line to check out Spring River Nurseries. If I had not, I too would have been a victim of their business policies. Because of all of you, I did not place an order! Hopefully somehow they will be exposed and out of business.
Negative Seaworthy
San Diego, CA
March 28, 2008
Like the others on this post, I ordered Lavender from an ad in our Sunday paper's magazine, Parade. My check was cashed promptly and the lavender never received. I am sorry I did not check the post before I ordered, hopefully all the negative comments will help others before they are ripped off. Be careful of another ad, Child's Poem in the same magazine, another ripoff. We need to notify our local newspapers and those who are responsible for publishing the fraudulant ads.
On April 7th, 2008, Seaworthy added the following:

Beware everyone. The ad for Lavender is in today's Sunday paper 4/6/08. Do not order from this fraudlant company.
Negative Rosanne905
Pittsburgh, PA
March 25, 2008
I ordered 12 lavender plants on February 29, 2008. The check has been cashed, but I have yet to receive my plants. Never again will I order from Spring River Nurseries. Should anyone ask me, I will recommend that they do the same and not place an order. I guess this is how they stay in business by frauding the public. My next step is to contact the Better Business Bureau. - from a very unsatisfied customer.
Negative gwen6766
Alexandria, LA
March 13, 2008
I was not fortunate to read any reviews before I enthusiastically ordered 12 Lavander plants on February 12th. I sent a check which has since been cashed and monies removed from my checking account on the 20th of February. Needless to say, I have not heard from anyone and have not received the plants. Why would I wish to order anything else from this company. I am happy that my order was not for hundreds of dollars as I have spent with other companies. Then I would really be sick.
Negative Mequonman
Mequon, WI
May 11, 2007
On February 17, 2007 I ordered 2 Lavendar Promotions that totaled $22.95. The check has been cashed and as of May 10, 2007 I have yet to receive product or hear from the company. It seems that Spring River has made a hardy profit off of selling non existant lavendar. My next step is to contact the Michigan Govenors Office Of Consumer Fraud. A lot of people seem unhappy expecting to grow purple, ended up seeing red and been robbed of thier green.
H. Sutton,Mequon, Wisconsin
Positive jlangdon
Edmond, OK
May 9, 2007
I received a shipment of Hardy Lavender on 4/30; planted and it has died within 1 week. I called the Customer Service for Spring River Nurseries and as mentioned in a previous email E. S. Enterprises handles their shipping. I spoke to a friendly person and they will reship a new plant. She apologized that this happened. I feel quite satisfied with the service. If I don't receive the plant in a timely manner, I'll write back.
Positive ichibon
West Des Moines, IA
May 4, 2007
I was as disturbed as the next gardener when I read the many negative comments about the company, and I decided to call to ask questions instead of just slamming them. One must realize that just because you order a plant, it can not be shipped out until Mother Nature has done Her magic. This company has been around for a long time and we all must be aware the growing seasons in all different parts of the country are not regulated by the BBB. Our climates are bizarre and when it's time, I'm willing to bet a peony that the company will make everything right.
Neutral Hukuchan
Lakewood, WA
May 3, 2007
I saw all the posts but when I checked with the BBB they have a good standing. Their orders are filled by E.S. Enterprises. You can call them at 269-621-2447. Just stay on the line and when the custermer service represntative answers ask to speak to someone from Spring River Nurseries about your order. I was transfered quickly and my shipment is on it's way now. I hope this helps with everyone's missing order.
Negative cmatthews191
Castle Rock, CO
May 2, 2007
I too have been scammed by this company! I ordered the hardy lavendar plants and my check for $12.90 was cashed, and I have received no plants to date. The phone number does not work and the website is incomplete. Is there any recourse? I feel like a fool!
On May 18th, 2007, cmatthews191 added the following:

Update - 5/18/07
I finally received the lavendar plants. You should see them. I received 6 "plants" - 3 of which will barely make it, 3 of which died the next day. The company put 39 cents postage on the package, it probably took so long to get thru the mail system, that's why they died.
Negative jasminfla
Farmington, NH
May 2, 2007
On March 17,2007 I ordered 18 lavender plants from Spring Rivers and paid $22.95 for my plants. The check has been processed and to this date May 2, 2007, I have not received my plants. Have I been scammed like some other people? I have purchased other products from advertisements from the Sunday paper and they have been right on the money. This time I think my money went to "wherever" Is this company for real or what?
Thanks,