The scoop on 'Wade and Gatton Nursery '

Wade and Gatton Nursery

1288 Gatton Rocks Road
Bellville, Ohio 44813 (United States)

Visit Wade and Gatton Nursery at:

Comments:

Positive steamrocket1
Middleton, WI
July 9, 2012
Posted on July 9, 2012, updated July 9, 2012
Van Wade is a legendary hosta grower and hybridizer, and you can't go wrong ordering from Wade and Gatton Nursery! I obtain most of my hostas via mail order. Wade and Gatton is always the first place I check. I've ordered dozens of plants from Mr. Wade over the past 10 years and have never once been disappointed. All in all -- THE BEST!

Wade and Gatton has an absolutely enormous listing. Though I've never been to their nursery, I've heard it is incredible. The plants they ship are huge, healthy, and have extensive root systems. Prices are often the lowest around. They also ship very nice bonus plants selected from a list you provide with your order. Wade and Gatton has a lot of older and rarer varieties that few others carry. If you like very large hostas, try Wade's own 'Jeff,' 'American Yeti,' and 'Mountain Man.' All are huge, wonderful plants.

A word of advice: Because their listing is so extensive, you're best bet is to download the pdf of their catalog and make a list of your choices. Since some rare plants are in short supply, email your list prior to filling out and sending in the order form to make sure what you want is available. The proprietors, Van and Shirley, are very knowledgeable, pleasant, and will work with you on your order. Very good folks. I look forward to ordering every year.
On July 9th, 2012, steamrocket1 added the following:

Positive resqme1065
Marietta, GA
September 12, 2006
I visited Van Wade's gardens last summer. It is incredible. If you don't know, Van Wade is a premier hosta grower, well recognized.

I received 4 plants this spring. The root system was incredible & clean to boo!t I was hesitant about bare -root anything. However the hosta had large leaves as well.

Order with confidence!

Judy

Positive woodthrush
Albrightsville, PA (Zone 4a)
August 23, 2005
Fabulous! The selection of hostas, their fast service, their great packaging and the size of the hostas they ship are all Fabulous!
Positive mimi5k
Youngstown, OH
May 19, 2005
I traveled several hours to visit Wade Gardens. WOW! It's worth the trip. I have never seen soooo many Hosta grown for display. I purchased several Hosta. They have grown so well that I divided them the first year. I have never ordered online, but plan to order in the fall. They have Hosta that you will be hard pressed to find anywhere in the US.
Positive LazyJean
Omaha, NE
May 7, 2005
I received my first order from Wade Gardens and am very happy with the hostas. The plants are all good sized with great root systems. They were packaged very well and arrived on time. I even got an extra eye of one of the plants I ordered. I'll be back for more.
Positive ggd2
Massillon, OH
May 3, 2005
I have never ordered from them but when to their nursery. They are just north of Columbus, a little off the highway but well worth the trip!!! Their gardens are terrific! With huge plants, well marked, in groupings and pathways like their own park! There are tons of hostas to pick from in the nursery but if you are looking for something specific they may have to take your order to dig it at a later time as not all of their plants are potted up. I purchased 4 plants and am proud to announce that they did great last year and made it through the winter. I am looking forward to an even better year! Be advised when shopping there that you pay "per eye" but their plants are great! The employees were more than happy to offer advise, taking us around in a golf cart as we learned a lot! Can't wait to go back!!!
Positive gwendylena
La Salle, MI
September 12, 2004
I just received my first order from Wade Gardens. The hostas that I ordered arrived quickly. The plants were good sized and were packed superbly. They were still soaking wet when I opened the box which had sat on my front porch all day because I was at work. I'm very pleased with the quality and selection that this company offers and I highly reccomend them for hostas
Positive kevinkegby
Kalamazoo, MI
May 6, 2004
We ordered a couple of very large hosta. We received e-mail updates to the status of the order and shipment dates. They arrived in great shape on the date expected. The quality of the packaging was outstanding with the root systems very large, healthy and clean. We are very happy. We order from many sources and will include Tom in all of our future plantings.
On August 6th, 2004, kevinkegby added the following:

We just visited Wade this week. Wow! The place is huge and the selection is fantastic! We were treated like family! If you are in the area, (even if you aren't), you should visit. The display gardens are spectacular. We were given a special gift for traveling so far. I really am impressed!

Thanks!
Positive daylilyjim
January 4, 2004
We have purchased dozens of plants from here over the years. We have always received top notch plants and above average service. They have our unqualified endorsement.
Positive ldanlv
May 29, 2003
Received my order today. They were awesome. Very Very LARGE and health. Well order from them again. Can't go wrong!!!
Neutral judygosa
May 1, 2002
Your hosta list has the Wade and Gatton catalog listed as free. A few days ago I mailed a post card requesting their catalog. Today I received a HUGE catalog (500+pages), shipped by priority mail. It is titled the ""The American Hosta Guide"". The catalog is wonderful, but I wanted to let you know that they now charge $10 for a copy. They sent an invoice for that amount in with my catalog. I am happy to pay for it, but feel sure some others would like to know that they will be billed this amount. I use your lists all the time. Thanks and keep up the good work.