The scoop on 'Girard Nurseries'

Girard Nurseries

Geneva, Ohio 44041 (United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Closed Per a note from a reader, this company is out of business.

Comments:

Negative carolmo
Olathe, KS (Zone 5a)
June 11, 2014
Posted on May 2, 2014, updated June 11, 2014
Ordered 6 plants in 12/30/13, they then billed. I asked that they be shipped around 3/30/14 and to send email when shipped - they shipped 4/28/14 and arrived 5/2/14 without any email warning (I saw the truck and grabbed package). I opened the package and saw all 6 plants were in dry mix with baggies and the roots were bone dry. I called the number several times and got message that mail box was full. The last time they asked if I wanted a call back - I did.

All previous times I received decent plants that were packaged well (not totally dry). Their guarantee now seems to be that if contacted within 30 days and not planted (huh?), they will replace at 1/2 price of original - that is not a decent guarantee). That is really odd. How can they live if not planted? They are now in potting mix in small pots and watered. I am not about to leave them in the dry mix and let them die for sure.

I have been recommending them for years - now I feel bad. So maybe send dead plants and pay 1/2 to get more (dead too?). Racket now? Cannot reach by phone?
On June 11th, 2014, carolmo added the following:

They are now out of business - website gone - redirected to another site. Contacted a man who said they are retiring, the new site would have plants, and he would ship a replacement that week (6/2/14). Nothing has arrived. The email now has been turned off. $21 dead plant, others some browning but alive. I ordered from them for many years.
Positive davidrt28
Columbia, MD (Zone 7a)
July 8, 2012
I have ordered about 3 times from this nursery. In each case I have been satisfied. Sure, the plants are a little on the small side, but they have been in good shape. Their prices make them one of the best values in mail order plant nurseries.

Positive dennyboy34
Yonkers, NY
July 11, 2011
Ordered gold cone junipers. Shipped fast and well packaged. Nice plants. Recommended and will use again.
Positive lcmoody1
Flemington, GA
July 7, 2011
This has been the best shopping experience with a mail order nursery so far: Great price, great product, great customer service. I have dealt with Park Seed, Wayside Gardens, and Direct Gardening in the past, I had issues with all three. I ordered from DG 5 wks before GN and still received my GN order first! I was amazed at how well packed they were, with shipping charges about the same as the others. They are in the ground and flourishing, I still have to wait and see if the other companies' plants will survive before I can comment, but thanks Girard's for being there when many mail order nurseries are out of stock or ceased shipping. Here in south Ga,spring/summer can last thru Oct! So excited to see what's available for Spring 2012!
Positive urbanimage5
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
June 27, 2011
Posted on June 27, 2011, updated June 27, 2011
Posted on April 29, 2011, updated June 27, 2011
I recently ordered two small clethras (hummingbird and ruby spice, 3" pots). They were well packed and arrived in excellent condition, when I expected them. I got them planted right away and will see how they do this year.
On June 27th, 2011, urbanimage5 added the following:

Update: The 2 clethras I ordered back in April are growing very well.
On June 27th, 2011, urbanimage5 added the following:

I placed a 2nd order a few weeks ago and got a small hinoki cypress. It was as well packed as the previous order and arrived when expected. The root system and foliage were beautiful and healthy. I got it planted promptly and it's getting a good start in its new home.
Positive grollcat
Virginia Beach, VA
July 11, 2010
Purchased 10 'little teddy' arborvitae and a Japanese weeping larch in early May. They arrived well packed and in excellent condition. All are still doing well and growing strong in spite of unseasonably hot weather and my being less than diligent about watering. Would definitely order from them again.
Positive esteve59
Annapolis, MD
December 24, 2009
Posted on April 02, 2008, updated December 24, 2009
nice selection.....
I ordered a couple of pine grafts for potential bonsai...
Pine Japanese White 'Ei-ko-nishiki' and Pine Japanese White 'Ibo-Can' ....
Both were small (as advertised ) and healthy....
good communication thru email....
looks good so far....
On December 24th, 2009, esteve59 added the following:

10/09--made my second purchase,,,for 3 Pinus Parviflora Pines,,,,25% off and a free tree !!
Healthy one gallon trees.
Positive j2mom98
Dayton, OH
May 15, 2009
Very good selection of dwarf trees/evergreens. My trees arrived healthy. They are small, as I expected. I'm looking forward to watching my "babies" grow. I hope to order some more dwarf trees/bushes from them next season.
Positive amisheliot
Lima, OH
June 27, 2008
Girard Nursery has provided me with one of the few pleasant mail order experiences this year. Great job, and Thank You. I had almost given up on mail order till this experience.

Originally I felt that the shipping charges were a little high, after seeing my product, and the way that it was shipped, would gladly pay more for that kind of shipping.

I placed the order on Sunday afternoon online. It arrived at my home the following Thursday. It came professionally packed in a large cardboard box. The box was filled with straw on both top and bottom and all around the plants. Plants and soil BOTH were still in their pots, and the soil was still moist. The trees were even a little larger than I expected them to be.

Once again, Thank You for a Pleasant Experience.
Positive Chotskie
Lafayette, NJ (Zone 5b)
June 20, 2008
6 yrs ago there weren't too many on-line nurseries, at least that I could find. I had to purchase dozens and dozens of azaleas, rhodie and evergreens to take the blank slate of our new homes yard and make it look loved. They were small and inexpensive which is just what I needed. It took years for my little babies to grow as they've fought off deer, what-not and my half grey thumb but I was very pleased then and have since reordered as I embark on new projects for 2008.
Again I must say that I was pleased with their packaging and the quality of the items I received. Will they live to survive next year? Only time will tell...but I believe they arrived healthy so the rest is up to me..
Negative jjarcaro
Conneaut, OH
October 12, 2007
Very disappointed in their service...I built a new house in 2005 and spent nearly $2000.00 in 2006 at Girard Nursery for my plants and shrubs for landscaping. They indicated that ALL of their products are guaranteed for one year.

I had a a problem with their George Peabody Arborvitae's with a number of them not making it through the winter. Additionally, I also had a Weeping Larch die as well.

I contacted the company in April of this year, and they said no problem, we'll be out to replace them. No one showed, so I called again in June. Same response, "we'll be out, been very busy." In July I called them again, this time they stated that they do not come out my way very often and I will have to wait due to gas prices! (I only live twenty minutes east of them.)

Well, here it is in October, and I've heard nothing from Girard's and I'm still waiting for them to take care of the problem.

Very disappointed and frustrated with them, considering the amount of money that I spent at their business. I will most definitely not do business with them in the future, and would warn others to be very wary of their lack of service after the sale in standing behind their products.
Positive ILJeff
Clay City, IL
December 26, 2006
I have visited them personally and talked with them many times on the phone. They are a well respected leader in developing azaleas. Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope, and it is impossible to please everyone all of the time. Sometimes when a plant fails it is not the fault of the nursery but the gardener. I`ve had more than my share of failures due to fickle climate in my region, but I keep trying and enjoy the challenge
Negative gencon
Schenectady, NY
October 5, 2005
I ordered one plant on Jun, they billed me.

On July asking when will ship, they said on September when cooler. I also asked some other question about the plant, no reply.

In early Sept, I asked if plant ready to ship, no reply. Send 2nd message in late Sept, no reply, called them afterwards to push.

About week later, I got email (on early October) saying, plant sold out and will get refund.

In conclusion: Plant may be super, but communication is bad, and they should bill when ship. When you are buying from web, you need quick response by nursery, not just waiting for nothing. I will not buy anymore with this kind of nursery that you never know if you can have your goods or not. It is their obligation for delivery my goods when charged me, not simply delay and fail.
Get confirmation, before you pay.
Positive Sunny46552
New Carlisle, IN (Zone 5a)
June 14, 2005
Wow! My plants arrived today and I couldn't be more pleased. Great shipping and packing. Nice prices and very good sized plants. Terrific!
Thanks,
Sue from Indiana
Positive rhodesja
Manchester, CT
May 4, 2005
we ordered a golden spanish fir and a variegated weeping alaskan cedar (1-gallon sizes). both trees arrived UPS very well packed in straw and are of very good quality. we will order again in the fall.
Positive mollis
Cleveland, OH
January 8, 2004
This past fall I ordered twice from Girards. The second time because I was pleased with the first order.
Got pines and spruces, all had/have good roots with plenty of soil. Will get more in the spring. Do wish they had more photos on the site.
Positive bendrl
Oakland, CA
December 5, 2002
I ordered several young conifers and received them as expected. Trees were pretty much what was described, so I was happy. Their website can be a bit flaky once in a while when you search for stuff, but the trees were fine.
Negative borisbauer
Easley, SC
February 1, 1999
In years past (1977-84) when Girard's was run by the original owner, the plants were simply outstanding in size, roots, shipping, etc. But alas with his death and the arrival of his children to run the nursery (and more mouths to feed), the shipped plants have become very, very small with minimum roots. The prices have remained reasonable, but I no longer recommend this site since there are alternative nurseries for the same products.
Positive donaldwolf
June 1, 1997
After last winter's low temperatures (-9 for a couple of nights), the only azaleas that did well for me were the Girards. During the summer I called them for a catalog (free) and placed an order. The azaleas were small (4-8"), cheap (3 for $5.50), and healthy. One-gallon azalea bushes were also available at 3 for $19.00. They had 17 varieties of their evergreen azaleas which take temperatures of -10 to -15 according to the catalog. There are also Girard rhododendrons and deciduous azaleas in the catalog. I ordered some but haven't seen how they would do over a cold winter yet. My goal was tough little azaleas at a reasonable price, so I was completely satisfied.Their catalog also features bonsai beginner evergreens as well as various trees, shrubs, small evergreens, and some perennials. It has color photos. The descriptions of plant hardiness are detailed for the azaleas & rhododendrons but not for the rest. I haven't had occasion to call they back with any questions, so I don't know about telephone advice. The woman I spoke to originally seemed knowledgeable about weather, shipping dates, azalea peculiarities.