The scoop on 'Hallson Gardens'

Hallson Gardens

Green Star: Good Hallson Gardens is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

Brooklyn, Michigan 49230 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

Visit Hallson Gardens at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on September 1, 1999:
Hallson Gardens is a hosta and perennial nursery in Southeast Michigan. We started shipping hostas and perennials in 1999 and have had great feedback from our customers. Let us know how we can help you out with your hosta and perennial needs.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive LVerrico
Collins, NY
March 5, 2014
I found this company totally by mistake as i was looking for a certain lily and there site came up.
I clicked on to it and was very surprised what i found.
I placed my order by phone and Chris could not have been any nicer of a person to deal with.
Products are great and prices are wonderful for someone like me who buys lots of plants every year for my gardens up north.Then a day or so later i saw they sell Hydrangeas and i ordered one to be added but it will be to early for when i need so they are doing a split order.Great for me if you have not done business with this company you are missing out.
I can not wait for my order and many more to follow.
Tony.
Positive GardeningJudy
Richmond, MO
November 15, 2013
I have been ordering iris, astilbe, and hostas for several years from various companies throughout the US. I have NEVER received bigger, better, or healthier plants than from Hallson Gardens. When you add the great customer service, this is a company that you will never be disappointed in. They will be my first company to go to in 2014 to meet my gardening needs!
Positive Don_in_Colorado
Broomfield, CO
November 4, 2013
I have ordered from Hallson Gardens multiple times in the last two seasons, and intend to order from them again in spring 2014. Their hosta are big, beautiful and very healthy, and in my opinion, you won't get better plants through the mail. I can't think of anything even remotely negative to post in this review. Hallson Gardens are the best!

An A+ company.
Positive ygardener
Lafayette, IN
October 1, 2013
I ordered three different types of ferns from Hallson Gardens, and was very pleased with my experience. (The ferns are bare root, so will not see much of them until spring.) The bare roots were of generous size--one variety had 4 or 5 eyes on it. They sent me two extra roots of one type, and threw in another kind of fern for free. The order arrived in a very expeditious manner. I would be happy to do business with this company again in the future.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
September 20, 2013
Posted on June 29, 2013, updated September 20, 2013
Posted on May 11, 2013, updated June 29, 2013
Posted on May 5, 2013, updated May 11, 2013
I just received my first order from Hallson Gardens. I ordered several alchemilla mollis, several geranium striatum, and some lilium Crystal Blanca.

They ship bareroot, which was new to me, but the plants were all outstanding, very reasonable priced and I am very pleased. They are quite large.

I had read the great reviews, and they are true. I will be ordering from them a great deal in the future.
On May 11th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

I would like to add that their lily bulbs are outstanding. I usually order from lily specialists, and the bulbs I received are evry bit as excellent, at a very good price.
On June 29th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

I must comment on the lilies I received from this company. The Crystal Blancas are on my patio and each one has three large bulbs. It is not customary to receive lilies that form three flowers in their first blooming year, even from lily specialists. I intend to check them in future years, in case they have lilies that I would like. I am amazed. These plants are outstanding.
On September 20th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

Having had two good experiences with Hallson Gardens, I thought of them when I was seeking polygonatums. Hallson gives the buyer the ability to be emailed when sought after plants become available. I asked for an email alert for polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum'. The cost was more than reasonable, and having received others of their plants, I knew that the roots would be substantial.

And they are - even larger than I hoped. Expertly shipped and undamaged. This company is terrific.
Positive plp1950
Pleasant Valley, CT
September 7, 2013
I just received my hosta order: Katie Q, Dancing Queen and a bonus Devon Green. All are LARGE, HEALTHY plants with amazing root systems that arrived 3 days after ordering. I'm thrilled.

I've ordered from Hallson's before and will surely do so again.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
July 3, 2013
Posted on July 31, 2012, updated July 3, 2013
Posted on June 27, 2012, updated July 31, 2012
Posted on June 13, 2012, updated June 27, 2012
Posted on June 5, 2012, updated June 13, 2012
I have ordered a lot of plants online and received nice healthy plants, but never in my many years of ordering have I received Hosta's the size of the ones I received from Hallson. I was shocked at the size, appearance and health of them. They are my new go to plant nursery. Customer service is outstanding also. If you love healthy plants, you must order from this company. You won't regret it.
On June 13th, 2012, plantgnome1 added the following:

Expecting my third order today-can't wait to see them. So far I have gotten the following from Hallson.
sum & substance, paradise island, dancing queen, Stirfry Bonus-June Fever
Cracker Crumbs, The razors edge and Bonus: teaspoon
Expecting: June, & Red october.
If you love hosta and other lovely plants-this site is a MUST for you to experience.
On June 27th, 2012, plantgnome1 added the following:

Received my fifth Hosta order today and they have outdone themselves. The plants were HUGE and root systems very healthy. Packaged with such great care, they never arrive damaged. Also they wrap the roots with damp paper and when they arrive, (within 3 business days) they are still damp and the plants are nice and fresh looking, not droopy at all.
My latest order upon arrival consisted of Avocado, Fried Bananas, Abiqua Moonbeam and a bonus plant called Paradigm. I wish I had more shady spots to fill.
On July 31st, 2012, plantgnome1 added the following:

I have gotten several more Hosta w/bonus plants from Hallson and they never fail to impress me with the beauty of the Hosta, the care taken with packaging, even my husband said WOW you can tell that company really cares about the plants when they package them. The roots are amazing, all clean, no dirt or mess. Other online Hosta companies pack their Hosta (1/4 of the size of Chris's) in like 4 inch pots, with sticks taped into the pots to avoid in inevitable mess, still arrive a mess and a huge pain to unwrap without damaging the plants, there is no comparison to the quality of Chris's plants and packaging. I have even contacted Chris to see if he had any Hosta hanging around even tho they were shown as sold out. He promptly answered he had some that maybe had a little frost damage but healthy roots. Gave me a great discount on them and they looked perfect on arrival, better than other companies so called top quality. Guaranteed virus free. Love this place-I will be ordering more in the near future and maybe try some of the perennials offered (if I can find room in my yard for them LOL) Every Single Hosta has thrived and have flowered their first season in my yard. BAR NONE-THEY ARE THE BEST.
On July 3rd, 2013, plantgnome1 added the following:

My second order this year (so far :) ) of three huge hosta, Blue Umbrellas, Abba Dabba Do and Flower Power with a bonus of Summer Breeze did not disappoint. Absolutely gorgeous plants with giant root systems, like Hosta's on steroids. The three I ordered were for areas where they will be planted in their own niche with no other Hosta, only accent perennials. They came in so large they are already impressive. I have ordered a couple of lily bulbs and daylily plants which are doing well and some blooming already.
I can't say enough about the wonderful job Chris and Brian do. I hope to continue giving them as much business as I can afford.
Positive furballfarm
Tilden, NE
June 25, 2013
Posted on July 4, 2009, updated June 25, 2013
I ordered hostas in May, June and July. Several orders were quite large. The condition of all the plants were excellent, every time. The hosta are huge, well packed and arrive so fresh that the leaves are crisp. The hostas are very large divisions with an extremely large full root system.Shipping from Hallson's in Michigan to me in Nebraska is just a couple of days, very reasonable and the communication with the owners is the best customer service I have experienced in a long time.

On June 25th, 2013, furballfarm added the following:

Since my last rating , Hallson's continue to exceed every expectation. The I have a very large area of the most beautiful hostas. The outstanding quality of Hallson products is the reason my yard if filled with huge lush and green plants
Positive neohiogardener
Struthers, OH
June 17, 2013
I placed my first order with Hallson recently for some assorted lily bulbs. Great communication throughout the order process, careful packaging, and even a bonus bulb. Everything was well labeled, great sized, and very much alive. So far, I have to say how impressed I am with this company. I look forward to more orders in the future.
Positive mboutet
Rochester, NY
May 7, 2013
I purchased three Convallaria 'rosea' from Hallson. They were big healthy clumps in active growth, reasonably priced for a fairly scarce variety. They continued growing without "batting an eye" when I planted them. Fabulous!
Positive Old_Gardener
Posted on May 22, 2012, updated June 6, 2012
Posted on March 31, 2012, updated May 22, 2012
Posted on February 18, 2012, updated March 31, 2012
Posted on February 14, 2012, updated February 18, 2012
I placed 2 orders in November for 15 daylilies, 2 Hosta, 7 lilies and 7 iris after I had ordered, received, and been overall disappointed with some daylilies and iris from 3 "big box" nurseries. Hallson's plants were delivered quickly (I believe within 3 days both times) and WOW! The quality of their plants are the best that I have experienced (and the bonus plants were of the same quality, too!). All were large, plump and healthy. I popped them into their new homes in the greenhouse and noticed today (11 weeks later) that 4 of the daylilies are getting ready to bloom (big, beautiful buds). Thank you, Chris! Oh, and the "big box" plants? Some were thrown away when they arrived (rotten through and through) and most are still struggling to graduate from 4" pots - none are near the size or quality of the plants that Chris sent (those are in 1, 2 and 5 gallon pots). Again, thank you Chris!
On February 18th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I need to add that the hostas, lilies, and iris are all up and growing very well - the Hostas will be needing larger homes, soon.

I placed an additional pre-order in January. Chris has been very gracious, answering several questions and allowing me add to the ever expanding order. - Again, thank you, Chris! Hallson has become my top "go-to" nursery.

On March 31st, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I received my order yesterday (12 daylily, 3 pardancanda, 16 iris, and 19 lilies) and I am so pleased!!! Hallson Gardens provides generous, healthy clumps at great prices coupled with wonderful customer service. It truly does not get any better than this - Hallson has set a new standard that few will ever attain. Thank you, Chris, - you and your nursery are the best! (and thank you so much for the "extras" - I appreciate it)
On May 22nd, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I placed another order - this time for 3 Liriope, 3 Acorus, 3 Dwarf Iris, 3 different Hibiscus, and 1 of each Sisyrinchium and Nepeta. As with prior orders, my plants were shipped quickly (only 2 days in transit from MI to CA). All of the plants are exceptionally well-rooted and healthy. Chris also sent an extra that perfectly dovetails with my order. Hallson is truly the best of the best!
On June 6th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I ordered 24 iris through Hallson late last week and received them today. Chris was extremely helpful as I put the order together and, when the package arrived today, I was once again reminded as to why Hallson has become my primary "go to" nursery. Hallson Gardens has been very generous - every single iris is pristine, healthy, and multi-fanned. Chris even sent me a gift iris which fit with my order perfectly. Communication was great and shipping was quick. Hallson Gardens is truly the best of the best. Thank you, Chris!!! I'll be placing an order this autumn :) BTW, the Hibiscus that I received dormant just 16 days ago are now 18"+ tall, full, and absolutely lush - Hallson Gardens is the best!
On July 1st, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I placed yet another order (mostly lilies this time) and, as before, am more than happy with everything that I received. Unfortunately, my regular postman must have been on vacation and my order was not delivered to the house nor did the sub leave a call tag (perhaps he/she did not want to traverse the hill?). Since Chris always sends tracking numbers, I was able to locate my package and everything still looked good when I got it. Thank you so much, Chris, for the wonderful service. Hallson Gardens will always remain my preferred nursery to do business with!!!
On September 23rd, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I received my autumn order (2 hibiscus, 4 daylilies and a bearderd iris) and, as always, I am thrilled with the plants that I received. I had emailed Chris earlier in the season to see if he possibly had a hibiscus that was not listed on the website and, lo and behold, he did! Each plant is large and robust and Chris was generous with the bonuses. Definitely a 10 star nursery!!!!
On April 9th, 2013, Old_Gardener added the following:

Another fantastic order! I just received my spring order and could not be happier! Thank you, Hallson Gardens, and thank you Chris for the wonderful service!
Positive buggzter
Ypsilanti, MI
March 9, 2013
Posted on September 23, 2012, updated March 9, 2013
I ordered a few plants for the first time online, and had a wonderful experience with Hallson! Even though they didn't have a few items in stock that I was looking for, they had tons of choices for the flowers I want to add to my new yard. Chris was very informative for when things would ship, and I was extremely pleased with what I received. Packing was excellent, and they even threw in a couple bonuses! I will be ordering from the a LOT in the future. :)
On March 9th, 2013, buggzter added the following:

I'm planning my spring order for my first spring planting ever for my own house. I emailed Chris to find out when I should likely be able to start working the ground here (I live 1 hour East of their nursery), and he responded FAST. Their website is really clear about all they have, they have a great variety of plants, and they are extremely friendly and helpful in all ways! I'm just deciding on the last few items I may or may not want to order, and then I'll be expecting a lovely shipment in another month or so from them.

As for my last order, I ordered some similar plants from another nursery (a "big" one), and their plants where either the same size or EXTREMELY small compared to Hallson's field grown plants! Hallson's plants were easily 3x the size, yet cheaper than the other company I used! So yes, Hallson's will get lots more business from me when I need/want plants - especially lilies!
Positive ogrefcf
Springville, UT (Zone 5a)
January 29, 2013
I have ordered from Chris and Brian at Hallson's garden several time in the last couple of years. I mainly have ordered Hostas from them. The Hostas always arrive in a timely manner with plenty of communication when the order is coming and when it's best for you.

The Hostas arrived well packaged and have always arrived in perfect condition. I have ordered Hostas from several other places and Hallson's have always been the biggest healthy plants.

Hallson customer service is outstanding. They are always willing to change orders and make things right. All questions and order changes were promptly replied to by Chris. I will always use Hallson's for my gardening purchases.
Positive Zone7B8A
Fayetteville, GA
October 13, 2012
Chris is great and will take the time to answer questions personally. Recently ordered 5 very nice lily bulbs and ended up with a baker's half-dozen. I will use them again.
Positive shawne66
Moline, IL
October 4, 2012
I ordered a Gold leaf Bleeding heart, 'Gold Heart' & a Tradescantia 'Sweet Kate' in tuber/root form for planting this fall...I received excellent communication from Hallson's on order confirmation & when items were shipped... I got my plants quickly, and am VERY HAPPY with the healthy, nice sized tubers/roots that I receive. They are very healthy, clean, & good sized tuber/roots.. I also received a free item, a Ghost fern, that will look beautiful in my garden! I plan on ordering more from & recommending Hallson Gardens to others in the future... Just a AWESOME transaction all the way around! Thanx so MUCH!
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
October 4, 2012
I have placed two orders for bare root sedums from this company for fall shipping. Prices were reasonable and the stock received was incredibly large and robust. I never expected to receive such large, mature clumps.

I am very pleased and will keep Hallson Gardens in mind for other perennials in the future.
Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
August 17, 2012
Posted on April 27, 2012, updated August 17, 2012
Posted on June 30, 2011, updated April 27, 2012
Well,First of all I called Hallson's because they were the only Top Dog company with 'Tom Schmid'. I just didn't know if they were still shipping hostas or not because it's almost July, right? He (Chris) called me back within 10 minutes, I was stunned. It took me about three hours to pick out the other five plants. I research each one on plantfiles. I registered on 25th, got confirmation and tracking # on 28 and received plants on 30th, just as the tracking said. Right on schedule ! These are a little more expensive than my last mail order but well worth it because of the size, they are all three year plants. Very big and healthy. Packing was great and shipping charges were reasonable. I would recommend them to everyone and I plan on doing more business in future. OH, I also received a very healthy, very popular, Hosta as a free gift! I am very pleased!
See thread on Hosta Forum for pics. Have a good day !!
On April 27th, 2012, virginiarose added the following:

Received another great order from Hallson's. Huge plants and a wonderful free gift which is never a liner, 'June Fever'. Great packing and communication. Good job Chris, love this company!

(pictures on Hosta forum, 'Mail Orders, good or bad...)
On August 17th, 2012, virginiarose added the following:

Great sale!! Love my big daylilies and the bonus plant which was the same big size as the others! WhooHoo!
Positive ycn4chin
Dickson, TN
July 16, 2012
Posted on May 6, 2012, updated July 16, 2012
Posted on September 19, 2011, updated May 6, 2012
I checked Hallson Gardens out on DGW before I ordered, and can now add my praises for this company. I placed an order for Hostas and Hardy Hibiscus, and Chris sent the hostas right away so they could get established. I was a bit puzzled when I received a 3 foot long box for a hosta order....that was because two of the plants he shipped were that tall! All plants were just lovely and healthly and never missed a beat in my garden. My Hibiscus order just came, and they were very large and well rooted. I like the little planting guides that are enclosed,too. I will definately buy from Hallson again, and refer my friends to a great online nursery.
On May 6th, 2012, ycn4chin added the following:

I received my Spring order from Hallson and was very happy again. I ordered several hostas, another hardy Hibiscous, some ferns and some lily bulbs. Everything was well packed, and quite a nice size. It was shipped when I had requested, and Chris emailed with the details. I also received a bonus Hosta, and it was a collectors' variety that I was extremely pleased to add to my garden. I consider Hallson a very reliable nursery.
On July 16th, 2012, ycn4chin added the following:

I received another order from Hallson last month. They send such large plants that do so well. The daylily I received starting putting out flower scapes within 2 weeks, and is blooming despite our record setting heat wave. All the hostas have grown well, and Chris included a very nice bonus hosta with my order. Highly recommend. I always check Hallson Gardens website first when I am trying to locate a plant.
Positive rocknhostas
Central, WI
June 18, 2012
Posted on May 18, 2012, updated June 18, 2012
Posted on April 26, 2012, updated May 18, 2012
Posted on August 2, 2011, updated April 26, 2012
Awesome selection and great communication surrounding my order. The plants I received were beautiful with large root systems and are doing great in their new home. Will definitely order from them again!
On April 25th, 2012, rocknhostas added the following:

Received another order from Hallson Gardens today. Again, I am extremely happy! I will always do business with them.
On May 18th, 2012, rocknhostas added the following:

This is my second order from Hallson Gardens this year. The hostas, as always, were packaged with care and arrived in excellent condition. These are quality plants with huge root systems. The plants I order from them are always healthy and thrive in my garden. I highly recommend them and I will remain a loyal customer!
On June 18th, 2012, rocknhostas added the following:

Hallson's is a fantastic place to order from! You can tell when your plants arrive, that they have been cared for each step of the way. From the robust root systems to the meticulous way they are packaged up for shipping...I have always been beyond pleased with my orders. Prior to getting this last order in the ground, a friend had stopped over and saw my new hostas. She was really impressed with how wonderful they looked as well as the size of them. Hallson's is a place you can order from with confidence!
Positive kentstar
Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b)
May 21, 2012
Posted on July 16, 2010, updated May 21, 2012
First time ordering here, but heard sooo many great things about their hostas. I ordered Francis Williams and it came moist, well packaged, and fast! You do live up to the reputation (a good one lol)! Thankyou! Large and impressive size too!

Got Blue Hairy Lady as a bonus too!
On May 21st, 2012, kentstar added the following:

Supersized hostas! Super company, and super quick shipping! Need I say more?! :)

I bought Lakeside Shoremaster and got Powder Blue as a freebie! Both look awesome and my shipping was fast! Large bareroot plant with huge roots and leaves. I know they will do excellent in my garden.

Bottom line: Can't beat 'em!
Positive redanteater
Fort Wayne, IN
May 16, 2012
Hallson's is amazing. I had bought a hosta from them and what came was a large 2-eyed plant. Much better than the puny (albeit pretty) tissue culture hosta I got from ebay. And you don't have to worry about possible HVX infection.

Also, stupid me thought my card had enough cash for it, but some other purchase hadn't been taken out yet, so I only had $23 left for a $24 dollar purchase(stupid stupid stupid I know). Hallson's discounted the price by 7% and even still sent a freebie hosta( a mini hosta with four eyes). You don't see that kind of service everyday!

My new hosta's look absolutely beautiful!
Positive MPLyman
Greece, NY
May 11, 2012
I've ordered from Hallson Gardens for two years now, and have been so pleased with the plants and quick response. The quality of both the hostas ordered, and service are the best I've found. Last year, I bought a "Dragon Tails" hosta from another grower - it arrived with 3 tiny leaves (not that "Dragon Tails" is very big anyway, but still - 3/4", really?) and it didn't last long enough to make it into a pot. This year's "Dragon Tails" plant from Hallson's is just beautiful - bushy and healthy, with a heavy root system. What a difference! And the bonus plant they sent just happened to be a mini hosta I've wanted for awhile.

I highly recommend Hallson Gardens.
Positive sgardencrazy
Crystal Lake, IL
May 7, 2012
My first order with Hallson's arrived right on time in excellent condition and excellent quality. One plant was accidentally omitted from the order. After a quick phone call all was good and the new plant arrived in two days! -Doesn't get any better than that!
Positive Tarragon13
Beverly, MA
April 21, 2012
Although Hallson Gardens do not specialize in lily bulbs, each year they offer many kinds of lilies. I've placed orders with them for the past four years and have been very satisfied. The bulbs are always "grade A" quality and the customer service superior. Hallson Gardens always tucks in a "bonus bulb" with each order and it's nice to see how the "mystery bulb" develops -- usually something different and enticing you to buy more. Hallson Gardens is top notch.
Positive audwoman
Churchill, PA
April 20, 2012
Posted on December 21, 2011, updated April 21, 2012
For Hallson there should be something that is higher than positive.

There is a reason there are no negative comments for this Vendor. You get above and beyond what you pay for and are treated as a customer that they want as a repeat customer. They are the best on the net. Love, Love, Love them. They appreciate their customers and it shows with the quality of plants sent and always put a little extra in the box as a thank you.

I am another customer that cannot say enough good things about Hallson Gardens.
On April 20th, 2012, audwoman added the following:

Received my order this week. I order from many online vendors and Hallson is the best for quality and size. No tiny 3" pots with little roots. You get a quality plants with large roots.

They are the only vendor I have ordered that send plants that you would get at a local nursery at a very reasonable price. They also send a bonus plant that is as good and large as the plants you ordered.
Positive mikencarol
Woodstown, NJ (Zone 7a)
April 19, 2012
Posted on April 21, 2004, updated April 19, 2012
Great plants with great root systems. Have had wonderful success with their hostas for years. Last year we started ordering perennials with the same success. Couldn't believe the size of the coral bells we received this year. Can't go wrong with Hallson's
On April 19th, 2012, mikencarol added the following:

Just .recvieved another nice looking bunch of hostas from Hallson's; always quality plant material at reasonable prices.
As a repeat customer, I highly recommend them
Positive ge1836
Pittsford, NY (Zone 6a)
April 18, 2012
Posted on April 18, 2008, updated April 18, 2012
Just recieved my order of ferns. Packed beautifully with special planting instructions for the "painted ferns"included.
I couldn't be happier. I have had such bad luck with mail order I had given up. Then I joined Daves Garden a month ago and my life has taken a 180 degree turn.
Thanks Chris and Bryan and thanks Daves Garden.
I will definatly order again.
On May 6th, 2009, ge1836 added the following:

Another great shipment from Criss at Hallsons.
Daylilies and a sweet bonus.
You know how we love little surprises.
On April 18th, 2012, ge1836 added the following:

I cant believe its been 3 years since I left a comment.
I order from Hallsons every year and take advantage of Chris's specials and sales.
I just recieved mu hosta order and ferns. There was a sweet bonus hosta included. These were sale plants but the care in shipping and quality of the plants didn't indicate a reduced price.
The hostas were large and had great roots.
Positive chickabeegrrl
Sacramento, CA
April 7, 2012
Better than expected hibiscus roots - they sent very large clumps and threw in a freebie too. Super fast shipping. If the flowers come up strong, we will definitely be ordering more!
Positive guardbear
April 6, 2012
I have mail ordered plants from many vendors over the years and have been mostly satisfied. BUT, the order I just received from Hallson Gardens is SO superior, I must post a positive here so others will know. The hostas all have 3 - 7 eyes, which is just spectalular. I have ordered from Hallson's for 3-4 years now, and this year they have really outdone themselves. Everything is packed well - so they will keep till the last of freeze scares are over. You will not find another vendor to match the customer care that Hallson's provides. Thank you Chris for all your hard work-at the plant farm, on the hosta forum, your HVX work, and your customer focus.
Positive 2862scooter
East Greenwich, RI
February 4, 2012
Posted on October 8, 2010, updated February 4, 2012
Posted on October 23, 2007, updated October 8, 2010
I just received my second order from Hallson. The plants in both orders are/were high quality / and very large for the price. The customer service is excellent! My experience with this last order illustrates the quality of the customer service under trying circumstances... I noticed my order had not arrived when I expected. I checked the email with delivery info, clicked the link and found the package had "arrived at location" 4 days prior. I asked Chris for some assistance tracking the package (I had a very busy day planned at work and with some care I needed to provide for my father) Chris contacted my post office immediately. The post office informed Chris the package had been delivered. Still, I was sure I had not recieved my plants. I called the post office myself and got the same answer -the package had been delivered.
Long Story short after telling Chris regardless of what the post office said I had not received the Hallson pkg and providing what email evidence I could to support this (I supplied this evidence on my own not at Chris' request) Chris offered to replace the delivery with no questions... The post office did deliver the package a couple of hours after we called (chg'ing the pkg status to "Delivered"), I was out of town for 2 days commuting between work and my father's, and by the time I opened the package I found a few items fine (mostly sedums), and a few items (lungwort and huechera) flagging a bit. Chris replaced those items that were distressed.
Chris made what could have been a frustrating experience (due to no fault of his own) a pleasurable one. I am both impressed and grateful. I can not recommend Hallson enough.
On October 8th, 2010, 2862scooter added the following:

I placed several more orders with Hallson this fall and I am happy to report that they still provide a high quality product for a very reasonable price. Packaging was excellent. I ordered Lungwort, Astilbe, Iris, Hosta, Sedum, and Helleborus and Daylilies. All were very good size with great root systems. As usual they included a bonus plant with each order (a sedum in one and an astilbe in the other).
Great company -highly recommended.
On February 4th, 2012, 2862scooter added the following:

I made several purchases during 2011 from Hallson and all were excellent. They remain a great place to purchase perennials.
Positive magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
October 29, 2011
Hallson Gardens, I LOVE YOU! This was my first order but it will not be my last. Got beautiful candy lillies, multiple(!) growth points, nice and fresh, carefully packed, and generous extras included. WOW!!! Super, super fast delivery too. Can't say enough good things...and, oh gosh, it's just October: how can I wait for spring to see these gorgeous things bloom??? Well, it IS the end of October, and not the beginning...but still... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
Positive floria
Athens, GA (Zone 8a)
October 7, 2011
Cannot say enough good things about this company. I placed 3 orders in the past couple of months - too many plants to list here. Every time, without fail, the plants were lush and the roots were moist and very well developed. Also without fail: incredibly generous bonus plants. The printed instructions are clear and very useful. Very easy to order, very fast shipping, and very patient communication - thank you, Chris. In addition, their shipping charges (to Pennsylvania) are more than reasonable. I will definitely order more from them in the future.
Positive tobydog60
Omro, WI (Zone 4b)
August 8, 2011
I placed my very first order with Hallson Gardens the other day and received the hostas today. Super fast shipping!! I am so, so pleased with the hosta plants. They were packed beautifully and carefully - and these are large, 3-year-old divisions with at least 3 eyes. I ordered 3 hosta plants, and received a beautiful bonus hosta besides (a real plus is that this bonus variety is one that I had on my "wish list").

I can't praise this company enough! Great selection, fulfillment was fast, shipping was fast, and the plants are wonderful! Not a droopy or wilted leaf among them - roots are perfect and moist.

I definitely will order from Hallson Gardens again!
Positive Queala
Newport, MI (Zone 5b)
June 10, 2011
Posted on June 10, 2011, updated June 10, 2011
Posted on June 22, 2003, updated June 10, 2011
First I would like to say that Chris goes way out of his way for you. If you live within 100 miles of this place it is worth the drive!! They have more perennials than I have seen in one place. The plants are very healthy and have large well developed root systems. Chris took me around to all the plants he thought I would be interested in and he was right on most of them. They have many unusual perennials and even dug a few out of the garden for me. I will definitely return to them for their plants. Thanks agian guys for your time.
P.S. I am honored to give you your 50th positive feedback. Keep up the great work.
On May 15th, 2004, Queala added the following:

Went out to Hallson's again. Again Brian and Chris were very helpful. Plants looked great and their place is just great!!! Thanks again guys. Keep up the good work!
On August 8th, 2008, Queala added the following:

Received my order from Hallson's and the hostas are great. Nice root system and multiple eyes. Never dissapointed with an order from Chris and Brian. I will be ordering from them again. Thanks!!
On June 10th, 2011, Queala added the following:

On June 10th, 2011, Queala added the following:

Went out to see Chris and Brian again. Came home with some great plants. Their place just keeps on getting better. They are getting more and more plants every time I go out.
Keep it up guys your doing great!
Positive katococo
Mandan, ND
June 9, 2011
Made my first order last month with Hallson, after reading reviews on the company. Just ordered a couple of daylilies, to "test" the company, since I've had problems with a couple of others, before. The daylilies arrived quickly, and in great shape, and were packaged carefully. The company included a couple of free bulbs for Lillium - again, packaged carefully. So far, I'm very pleased with my experience.
Positive dame_de_jardin
Hartford City, IN (Zone 5a)
June 7, 2011
I placed my first order with Hallson's last week and am so glad I did! The plants arrived yesterday in perfect condition, very healthy nice sized plants! After so many great reviews here, I felt very confident in ordering from this company and in the quality of their plants! They have given me back my passion for Hosta gardening, for sure! I will only buy from them from now on to feed my Hosta addiction! Thank you all for the great reviews that led me to them and Thank you Hallson's for being such a great company to do business with!
Positive KaylyRed
Watertown, WI (Zone 5a)
May 25, 2011
I have nothing but great things to say about my experience purchasing hostas from Hallson.

Communication was top-notch--my order was confirmed immediately, and when I placed a second order and included a note asking for combined shipping I received a prompt response combining my order. Since I'd ordered in winter, before I knew what the spring weather would be like, I did have to write and change my shipping date. That was also seamless--I received a response in less than 24 hours confirming my new ship date. Later, I was notified when my order shipped and given tracking details.

The plants I received were well packaged and arrived beautiful and healthy. Hostas from Hallson are field grown, and they arrive bare root. The root systems are incredible--no weakling plants with puny roots that require babying. I planted the hostas I ordered and they quickly took off.

Hostas are generously sized--the best I've seen from mail order (and I've tried a few.) When ordering hostas, check the site to see what you're getting because size is listed with the plant description. Most are 3 or 4 year old plants dug whole for shipping. A few are divisions, but you receive two or three substantial eyes.

Every good thing you've heard gardeners say about Hallson is true--they provide exceptional service, have tremendous knowledge, and sell gorgeous healthy plants. You'd be hard pressed to find better for their prices at a nursery, much less any other mail order company.
Positive cabarnes
Westfield, NJ
May 23, 2011
One of my very favorite mail order plant sources. The plants are large and healthy, extremely fast shipping and great customer service. Definitely one of the best around. I have yet to be disappointed and have been buying from them for about 4-5 years.
Positive poppazeke
Somerset, MI
May 14, 2011
I am lucky enough to be right around the corner from the nursery and have been buying from them when they were on wolf lake and truly appreciate them taking the time to advise a novice such as I and helping set up my original plantings with a great assortment. People say I have some of the best looking plants on lake somerset.
Positive JMKM1976

1 Echinacea Mac N Cheese
1 Echinacea Tiki Torch
1 Echinacea Tomato Soup
1 Echinacea Sundown

This company has great communication practices and actually offers to add or substract items from the order prior to shipment, not many mail-order companies do that.

I searched for a company that offered all of these coneflowers at reasonable prices and that had good to great ratings on Davesgarden, a lot of research went into selecting Hallson Gardens for this order. There was only one coneflower on my list that Hallson's did not offer and that is Tangerine Dream.

But in any case, if their plants are as great as their customer service, I will definately be a repeat customer to this company.
On May 14th, 2011, JMKM1976 added the following:

I have recieved my coneflowers and I have to say that this company is still A++++. The coneflowers were big roots, just coming out of dormancy and appear to be very healthy. They even sent me a free coneflower 'All That Jazz'.

I've purchased nearly a dozen conflowers this year and I have to say that, compared to two other mail order nurseries and my local garden center (which doesn't have a lot of selection), the coneflowers recieved from Hallson's are exceptional in size and vigor. They also sent along tips especially for growing my coneflowers!

Also, these plants are huskier root stock than is offered anywhere else for the price. So, instead of paying the same or as much as $6 more per plant elsewhere... I'm just going to stick with Hallson's!