The scoop on 'Hartmann's Plant Company'

Hartmann's Plant Company

Lacota, Michigan 49063-0100 (United States)

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative spickard
Bismarck, ND
July 12, 2014
1. Sent me strawberries which were weeks away from being transplant ready. Some were so small they were barely visible. Who is supposed to be the nurseryman?
2. At the same time they sent me a plant that had been dead long enough to be brittle, meaning it was dead when they put it in the box.
3. Never responded to my email.

I have bought from them in the past because they had some unusual plants, and had acceptable results previously. There have been other lapses, like not making it clear in their catalog that beach plums cannot self-fertilize, but generally minor. This year their professional performance was unacceptable. Two thumbs down.
Positive glenn10
salisbury
Canada
June 19, 2014
I ordered some kiwi and gooseberry plants form these guys.Not many companies will ship across borders and I can see why, mine got stuck in Canadian customs for over 3 weeks! When my package arrived they were very well packed and in good condition save for a couple if the gooseberry which were doa. I called them and they replaced them with an even bigger size plant the follow spring.It wasn't even their fault the plants died! I didn't even have to call them to remind them the following year they just shipped them! Awesome company huge selection of plants great prices!
Positive Lozo
Fort Wayne, IN
May 11, 2014
Ordered blueberries, pawpaw, blackberries, rhubarb, raspberries and kiwi. Picked them up at the company. Very good looking plants and the owners were exceptional in making sure I understood how to resolve my past problems in growing blueberries. Very enjoyable and pleasant experience!
Positive webchemist
Vista, CA
May 1, 2014
I placed my first order with Hartmann's back in March for 50 Pineberry strawberries, and they all arrived looking quite healthy and vigorous, and were well packed, a great deal for the price I paid. Initially the shipping delay was a little long but they were quite accommodating when I asked to have my ship date moved up a few days in order to arrive prior to a gardening club meeting so I could share a few with friends.

Its too bad they no longer sell bilberry plants or I'd already have placed a 2nd order.
Positive juleric1
UNION PIER, MI
April 29, 2014
I have ordered from a lot of catalogue nurseries. I ordered from Hartmann's wholesale nursery (hitting 100 items was a lot easier than i thought it would be!), and the plants that arrived were pristine! If any of them die, it's my own fault! Great value!
Positive sheamus27
Boston, MA
November 12, 2012
I almost never go to the trouble of writing a positive review. Admittedly, its always easier to criticize than applaud.

I had a problem with my delivery which was more the fault of UPS and not Hartmann's specifically.

I had expected a bunch of finger pointing between UPS and Hartmann's with the end result of ME being left holding the bag. And in fact, I think UPS was going down that road.

Bob Kabel of Hartmann's contacted me personally and fixed things. Fast.

It was refreshing to have a company immediately put the customer first. I will order from Hartmann's again and I will recommend them to my friends.

Matt Shea
Boston, MA
Positive tzada
Lake City, FL
October 2, 2012
Ordered Jewel Raspberry, Chester and Navaho Blackberry, Giant Pawpaw and a Sweet Bay tree. I was very pleased with the plants, all of them. Shipping was inline with other companies and the delivery was UPS ground. The plants were well packed and healthy.

Positive rry19
Courtdale, PA
September 29, 2012
I ordered 6 Heritage Raspberries, 2 Chandler Blueberries, and 1 Elizabeth Blueberry from Hartmann's. All arrived nicely packaged and in the case of Raspberries they even sent me 1 extra. Plants are in the ground right now doing well.
Positive chester215
Naugatuck, CT
September 28, 2012
I liked the selection of blueberry plants Hartman's had so I orders enough plants to to get the commercial discount.
I received the plants yesterday and they have exceeded my expectations.
The plants were professionally packaged and arrived in good condition on the week I specified when I placed the order.
The Bonus & Chandler Blueberry plants were much larger and healthier than expected. (These were to replace the 60+ of the 100 that died that I purchased from Dimeo Farms 2 years ago)
I ordered the 6"-12" size and I do not think that any of them were less than 12", many were 18" and all with good root systems and healthy.
I also ordered Caroline raspberry plants and they were the size ordered and healthy.
I counted them and they even sent extras with the order.
I look forward to purchasing plants from them in the future when the need arises.
Positive Joseph_Cincy
Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6a)
September 19, 2012
I ordered six lowbush blueberries this spring. They arrived healthy looking, and they have been doing well since. They did not produce fruit this year, but I did not expect them to do so. I'm hoping for some delectable treats next August, though.
Negative trudyh
North Kingstown, RI
June 8, 2012
Posted on May 23, 2012, updated June 8, 2012
Posted on May 22, 2012, updated May 23, 2012
Some lingonberries were supposed to be shipped in late April. It's now the second half of May. I only found out about the delays by contacting them, they didn't initiate telling me. I canceled the order.

On May 23rd, 2012, trudyh added the following:

I should have said that I had contacted them and gotten a revised shipping date of June, and then I canceled the order.
On June 8th, 2012, trudyh changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Updated June 2012: More than two weeks after I canceled the order, the plants showed up on my doorstep. Now I have to go to the trouble of returning them. I changed my rating from Neutral to Negative.
Positive qoqonut
Mountain View, CA (Zone 9b)
October 18, 2011
Ordered and received 4 southern highbush blueberry plants to start our new blueberry patch. We're going to plant them in the ground (gasp) in SF bay area - after amending the dickens out of the alkaline clay soil, of course! I'm told it can be done, and successfully, too. The plants arrived quickly and appear to be dormant, with some fall foliage intact. Very pleased, since they came all the way from Michigan.
Positive wannabe_doc
Lansing, NY (Zone 5b)
May 25, 2011
I am very pleased with my order.

Although I only ordered 6 plants for 70 USD total, they certainly treated the order like any other. Shipping/package was excellent, shipment was a week later than promised, but email notification came 2 days in advance - so no issue. The plants are in the ground and already green and healthy. Everything was potted - no bareroots, which I start to appreciate a lot. Size is as promised or bigger - great.

Will certainly order again here.
Positive BlueberryPlants
Portland, OR
May 1, 2011
The Little Giant blueberry plants http://little-giant-blueberry-plants.blogspot.com are shipped bare root, so you need to treat them with some loving care. Do that and you should be fine. It will take a couple years for them to get a decent size.
Positive Apexgrower
Millstone, NJ
April 15, 2011
Just received 2 Rubel Blueberry bushes and I am extremely happy with what I was sent. The bushes were a lot bigger than I thought they were going to be with large root masses. The packaging was probably the best I have ever seen, and I wish other companies would take the same precautions when shipping their plants. Thanks again!
Positive berryboy
Columbia, KY
March 13, 2011
I recently ordered 300 rubel plug plants from this company.They sent a email to me letting me know they were sending 3 to 6 inch plants instead for the same money as the plugs. All of the plants they sent are very nice and they also threw in a few extra. They were very fair and honest to deal with.
Positive shroomdaddy
Junction City, WI
August 22, 2010
I've ordered more than 400 plants from them over the past 3 years (buy 100+ plants saves 50%)and am 99% happy with what i've received and planted on my farm and nurseries in WI zone 4b/5. Reading over some of the comments here has me believe that perhaps they do a smidgen better with larger orders perhaps as the only negatively commenting customer was of a tiny order of what turned out to be leafed out cuttings which I've also recieved for dwarf cherries in my order of 36 that came to me delayed by two months in '08 (couldn't even get them in '07) but the 95% that survived grew to 2-3' tall by this spring. Pretty impressive once they took off. As with their kiwis (about 30 in '07) in my WI 4b/5 zone that from those 3-6" rooted cuttings placed in my nursery beds in Rootmaker bags for much easier transplantation last and this year to the arbor row are the most vigorous and hardy vines imaginable with multiple 20'+ vines surviving our -30 degree temps despite a lack of snow. cover in '10. (Only 3 of 9 Kiwis bought from OGWorld even grew the first year in contrast/pathetic) About 60 blueberries of all sizes and half of their varieties have done very well with an amazing crop over two months this year. very few died. Love the trailing, spreading lingonberries and cranberries for a contrast of size and texture as groundcover despite few berries,yet. Transplanted 8-15' hybrid willows this spring after one year in the nursery in RM bags to create a property living boundary rather than fence but direct planted another 1-2 footers in between/weedmatted as they are so vigorous. One box of the newly shipped blueberries this year was held by a delivery driver over the weekend and their leaves suffered but they recovered quickly. (Open those boxes right away)
Positive meadowgarden
Rockford, IL (Zone 4b)
July 6, 2010
Ordered blueberry plants two years in a row. All arrived in a timely manner, in good shape.
Positive Mr_ed2u
Fair Haven, MI
June 24, 2010
I ordered 50 strawberry plants in early June. Because it was so late in the season, I expected runts or plants that had already broken dormancy.

What I got was large…very large dormant plants. We ordered 50 but received 72 and they all grew. I had to make extra room for the additional ones, but was glad to do it. They were a little slow in shipping; but with the delivery of extra large…disease free plants, I would definitely order from them again.

They also “donate $2.00 to the “Susan G Komen for the Cure - Foundation.” with every order. I liked this fact…but it may not matter to some.
Positive supergrower31
Texarkana, TX
May 10, 2010
The experience i had was great as far as shipping in a timely manner. I got my plants fast. However your plants BLOW ! I expected some actual plants in some type of reasonable medium and I was sent some crap sticks jammed in some dirt and wrapped in a disposable showercap. Maybe if I were some type of plant scientist I could have revived these "twigs" back from plant heaven. I will not purchase any more so called "sucullent plants" (quoted from your AWESOME video that got my attention when I was half asleep at 2 o'clock in the morning). You got me this time !!! NEVER AGAIN !!!!
Positive egareis
Tarrytown, NY
May 5, 2010
Very good experience. All plants came individually wrapped, in moist soil, with leaves, and packaged carefully.
Neutral marygriffin
Colfax, WA
May 2, 2010
I ordered one set of 3 blueberry bushes. When they arrived I was shocked at their 2 inch in height. Though very small they were is good condition. Three days after planting one of the bushes started producing a cluster of blossoms. I was amazed to see this on such small plants.
The box they were shipped in was partially crushed when I received it but the plants were not harmed.
Positive wachinitgrow
Erie, PA
April 28, 2010
Odered a blueberry bush which was shipped in a reasonable amount of time,plant was very healthy,well rooted,and packed well.I would definately order from them again.
Positive gafbuffalo
Orchard Park, NY (Zone 5a)
April 17, 2010
The plants I ordered came on time and look pretty good. They have some odd items, which I appreciate. I will probably buy more next year.
Negative MollymDG
Manteca, CA (Zone 9b)
March 22, 2010
This company is near the top of my list of companies to never, never order from again. I ordered two bush cherries, Joy and Jan, In February and was advised on March 7 that they would ship in a month. They arrived almost a month late, well into May (the credit was not charged until April 29) badly grown, badly packed, and badly treated before shipping.

Badly grown? The "one year plants in 4" containers" were incredibly skinny (stems about as wide as the bristles on a scrub brush), barely rooted cuttings which could well have been taken when the order was received. They were in 2 1/2 inch, not 4", pots, and the shallow "azalea" pots at that.

Badly packed? Both arrived broken. They had been carelessly tossed into a box (in plastic bags or wrapped in plastic sheeting if I remember) and some crumpled newspaper tossed in after them. One cutting had been taken branched, and one branch was broken off and had stripped down the stem leaving a large gap in the cambium. The other was broken but not quite detached about halfway down its tiny stem. Both had broken dormancy by this time, of course, but read on.

Badly cared for? One plant was completely soggy, with standing water in the bag, and had been so for long enough that almost all the roots had rotted. It was leafless in that any leaves had melted off and were lying about or stuck to the plastic. The other's potting material was completely dry, not a trace of moisture, and the plant was all but completely dried out -- to the point where the stem was starting to wrinkle and the leaves, of course, long dried out.

The total charge was about $35.00 -- I think the plants were about $13 apiece. Pretty steep, considering, but for some reason these charming little fruiting bushes (the fruit doesn't much resemble anything one normally thinks of as a cherry) have fallen out of favor. I took the chance because I'd had a fine plant from Raintree two years before and wanted more.

Did they live? Yes, no thanks to the nursery. I cut both to one or two buds, repotted them after trimming the worst of the rotted roots from the waterlogged plant, and grew them on in pots for two years before planting out into the ground. The dried out one recovered much more quickly and had leafed out again in a few weeks. The waterlogged one had to more or less start again as a cutting and took a couple months to start looking as if it might live.
Neutral greengiantthumb
Athens, TX
March 21, 2010
No comments on how well they produce? Hmmm...
Positive yardener
Greenfield, OH (Zone 6a)
February 26, 2010
Posted on April 28, 2009, updated February 26, 2010
Great prices, excellently packed, top quality plants.
I would not hesitate to use them again.
On February 26th, 2010, yardener added the following:

Everything is still doing great. I highly recommend them.
Positive cramsey1
Salt Lake City, UT (Zone 6b)
January 29, 2010
I have had good experiences with Hartmann’s Plant Company. Last spring 2009, I order 3 Little Giant Blueberry plants from them. The plants were supposed to be 2 yrs old and 12 to 18 inches tall. When the plants arrived they were packed very well but they were very small and dormant. They were less then 8 in tall. I sent the company an email to complain about the size of the plants. I received a response back from the owner who offered to replace the plants or to refund my money. I was impressed. The plants were small but I kept them at a reduced price. By the second month after receiveing the plants, all of them appeared dead and did not show any green when scratched with a finger nail. I called Hartmann’s back and explained my concerns. They quickly replaced all 3 of the plants and with larger older blueberry bushes. I offered to pay for the larger plants but they declined. Needless to say I am very impressed with this company. They have excellent customer service and the owner sets a great example of how to provide that service and recognizes the importance of every customer and having a good buying experience. I have and continue to recommended them to my friends and family.
Positive grizz299
Ridge, NY
November 2, 2009
I'd been buying bareroot, four year old plants.. I thought I 'd try Hartmann's and I ordered eight potted plants. The shipping bill was a very modest 14.00 and th e items were beautifully packed and of substantial quality.

I think they are making a mistake. EG, two of the plants that I wanted were not offered on their retail list, but only on the wholesale list. I called and inquired and their very cooperative personnel told me that those particular plants were in fact available at the retail price. I think you might be turning away potential customers for a "website" problem that's easily correctable. .

But what really counted was the plants and they were large and vigorous. Thank you, V.S. Ajello
Positive somesara
Altamonte Springs, FL
September 6, 2009
What a great company! Get this: I ordered 25 each of two different strawberries; the bareroot plants arrived with about 10 extra in one pack and five extra in the other; one began leafing out the same day I planted them and the other was leafing out already (one day between receipt and planting elapsed), and within a week many began blooming and setting fruit. Most of the other plants I ordered came in large-ish peat pots, were exceptionally large and looked very very healthy for plants that had been in a shipping box, and the two or so plants they sent in plastic pots were in double deep pots allowing for larger healthier plants. Nearly everything did wonderfully immediately; the few plants that did not they immediately replaced. One Autumn Britten Raspberry failed to thrive immediately, they instantly replaced it with TWO more plants. When several more Autumn Brittens died I inquired if they might be reacting to the continuing heat and humidity and they immediately answered with their opinion that that could certainly be the problem and it would probably be best to ship the replacements the following month IF that were acceptable to me (it is). Customer service is great; they respond immediately to email (and it's really personal service, it's a Hartmann that writes back). And the packing is great too, very careful and not only do I believe the shredded newspaper assists the plants in not developing leaf rot in transit, it doubles as mulch. Yay! And the prices are really good, especially considering the size and health of the plants received. I don't know how a small company can be so efficient, helpful and economical but I am really glad they do. Use them for anything you can, they are so worth it.
On September 6th, 2009, somesara added the following:

Oh yeah, when the other three Autum Brittens died I asked could I order three Carolines instead of the listed package of six (since they had already sent me two more Autumn Brittens) Despite me telling them they had sent two replacements for one plant and not even asking for further replacements (I kind of thought the death of the other four was my fault) they not only immediately offered FOUR replacements, they also advised they'd happily accept an order of three Carolines for $7 (the listing is for 6 at $14) so ask if you have a special order.
Positive GardeninginHoth
Saint Paul, MN (Zone 4a)
May 7, 2009
My experience with http://www.hartmannsplantcompany.com was better than I had experienced with other online nursery's. They are not Just Another Online Nursery (they are now one of my top two favorites) Based on the quality of plants & the timely delivery, as well as the friendly customer service.
Now in regards to my order...
I ordered from them for the first time hoping for the best, and I had ordered a small order(Having never ordered from them before) I ordered there Arctic Blueberry Special 1 ea. of Polaris, North Blue, & Chippewa, all advertised as 2yr old plants, I was most excited about the Chippewa as Id already had 1 of that variety, I placed my order 4-23-2009 I think I received my order on the 30th or the 1st. very fast order filling/shipping! When I received my order the three plants came well packed in a just big enough Lentil Rice box(I like to see company's re-using things) almost all of the packing material was compostable newspaper shreddings(Yea no foam peanuts!!) excluding the bags ruberbanded around each plant to keep them moist. The Polaris Blueberry was about 18" (about as big as the 2yr Chippewa Blueberry Id purchased @ a local nursery * for a lot more $ *) with moist healthy roots in a peat pot(I think, it could have been a cowpot) wrapped in plastic and banded, the North Blue Blueberry was about 12"-15" again excellent moist healthy roots within a peat pot, well packaged in a bag sealed with a band, now the Chippewa Blueberry was only about 3"-4" tall with dried out roots(it looked as though the bag wasn't sealed well with the rubberband & the newspaper shreds dried it out) it looked nothing like the others as far as quality, size, or health & I didn't think id even be able to revive it. I immediately called the company and told the person on the phone my situation, she asked me for my name and said a replacement would be shipped, I thought it odd that all they needed was my name, so after about a week had gone by I called back(I wanted to order more, but only if they were going to make good on replacing the dead plant), I spoke with a gentleman that assured me that it had been reshipped or in the process of being reshipped, I thanked him and hung up, then proceeded to browse their website(as I couldn't remember what I did with the catalog) Then I placed another small order, 2 LingonBerries & 1 Wintergreen plant. The very next day my replacement Chippewa Blueberry came well packaged, healthy, with moist roots, and standing about 12" tall ! What great service !!
I'm excited to get my next order as I am sure that it will be of excellent quality and quickly delivered(& having my own Lingonberries !!)

THIS IS A GREAT COMPANY THAT UNDERSTANDS CUSTOMER SERVICE !

I didn't have a large order & yet was treated very well with excellent service.
They Exceeded my Expectations !

I will order from this company again.
I will Refer this company to friends family & coworkers
I will have to find more room in the garden for new plants from Hartmanns
(There's so much great fruit that I can grow even here in Mn zone 4-5)
Positive xenacrocker
Silver Spring, MD
January 2, 2009
I ordered lingonberries and southern blueberries from this company this past fall. All plants were well packaged , very healthy and high quality. I am very pleased with my purchase. I also called them a few times prior to placing my order and found their customer service to be polite and very helpful. I will order from them again.
Positive loriann1971
Pittsburgh, PA
June 30, 2008
I ordered some bareroot strawberries from this company, quite late in the season, and I was really pleased with the quality of the plants, the packaging and quick shipping. I will place a very large order with them next year!
Positive Hbkmom
Rockville, MD
June 10, 2008
I ordered from another company who did not even tell me I needed male and female plants! Hartmanns web site is easy - educational and thorough! Tha plants were big and beautiful and arrived very quickly! I will definitely go back to them!
Positive MusingMother
Greenville, CA
May 19, 2008
HUGE, BEAUTIFUL, WELL-ROOTED PLANTS!!!!!!!!!! I was completely blown away by the size and the quality of the plants that I received! Plants were even certified so they could be shipped potted! Over all I am very impressed. I will be ordering again (I managed to kill my sweet leaf within 24 hours but I think I might have watered too much upon delivery - LOVE this plant!). I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS COMPANY!!!
Positive pinkyfinx
Westerville, OH
May 19, 2008
Great plants, great service! I placed an order on a Tuesday and it was waiting at my door on Friday of the same week. Not only was it fast, it was well packed and all of the plants seem healthy and ready to grow.
Positive eire154
Vicksburg, MS
April 21, 2008
I ordered some kiwis and a pomegranate. The plants came very fast and were in good shape. They all looked like little sticks but they have quickly put out leaves and are starting to grow. I have only had the plants for about a month but so far I am happy with my order.
Positive tntalarcon
Diamond, OH
August 6, 2007
I first ordered 6 blueberry bushes from this company. They were beautiful and are doing very well. Since I had such good luck I also ordered 12 raspberry bushes, 2 different varieties. They also were beautiful and healthy. All of the plants are flourishing, arrived quickly and were healthy. I would highly recommend using them again. I plan to order more this spring!
Positive gornickmom
Lake Zurich, IL (Zone 5a)
June 12, 2007
I ordered four blueberry bushes and a rhubarb plant. The plants came packed very nicely and shipped out quickly. The bushes are doing well, but the rhubarb shriveled up and died on me, I emailed the company and was promptly offered a credit or refund. I asked if I could be put on a list for next spring for a rhubarb plant (they were currently sold out ) and it was no problem. So, overall I am very happy with this company and will order from them again!!
Positive gooley
Hawthorne, FL (Zone 8b)
March 22, 2007
I ordered an assortment of plants: couple of the Danish variety elderberries (Samdal I think), couple seedling paw paws, an abutilon, a Chicago Hardy fig. The plants arrived today, well packed and in good shape, a bit small but good value for money, most of them just ready to move into larger pots. I'm very pleased.