The scoop on 'Northland Rosarium'

Northland Rosarium

9405 S. Williams Lane
Spokane, Washington 99224 (United States)

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive becker99
North Spearfish, SD
June 14, 2014
I was very pleased with my order of own root tea roses. They send large plants for the money, and are safely shipped. Excellent customer service. This is the best of the own root companies that I have ordered from.
Positive itsmesue
Canton, IL (Zone 5b)
June 2, 2014
I am giving a positive at this time.

I ordered the "Rhapsody In Blue" shrub rose and it came very tall but thin and spindly. Also to me the small couple blooms that were on it looked more pink than blue. But will see how it does once planted (which will be today) and it grows. Hope it grows.

I also ordered two "Royal Bonica" shrub roses. They seem to be in some better condition than the Rhapsody In Blue. Again, I will see how they do once planted (today) and if they grow.

Over all, I am not really disappointed nor upset, just waiting to see how the roses do. I do have to say that any contact I had via phone with Northland Rosarium, the people were very nice polite and curtious.
Positive Gabrielle
(Zone 5a)
August 24, 2013
My Grandmother passed away in May and I wanted a rose with part of her name in the name to plant where her ashes were buried. I could not find one, but I did find one called 'Southern Peach', and since she was from the south and peaches were her favorite food, I decided on it. It is not a common rose, and of the few places that carried it, Northland Rosarium looked the best. When ordering it, I was told that the shipping would be the same for a second, so I also ordered an Austin rose.

Even though it was the first part of June, it was the beginning of their season, and the roses were not hardened off when they arrived. Otherwise, they looked very good, well packed, etc., and I planted them about a week later. It's been a little over two months now and both look very healthy and are thriving with minimal care. I would definitely order from Northland Rosarium again.
Positive KMAPINK
May 2, 2013
Just received my order of six David Austin roses. The packaging was excellent. The roses were top quality / established with buds and some flowers. Couldn't be more delighted. Thank you!
Positive bluebuster77
Belmont, CA
July 27, 2012
Posted on July 20, 2012, updated July 27, 2012
Posted on May 16, 2012, updated July 20, 2012
Carol... Amazing person, she shows how much care about customer service and products. I ordered 7 roses, 5 are very healthy, however one is suddenly die soon after I received, and other one was wrong plant. Even I metioned as wong, actually it's pretty floribunda. She double replaced for die plant and send me a right plant I ordered. Means I got buy two get two kind of things. I impressed more her honesty and outstanding service rather than I got extra roses. That leads to make me interest buy more roses from NR in future. Healthy roses, rooted plants in bigger band pots, super A+ packaging without complicated taping method, and my favorite fast shipping. Selection were perfect and different kind of roses to choose from, I want to see more rare varieties like rose unlimited. But NR price and shipping are unbeatable.
On July 20th, 2012, bluebuster77 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

After much impressed with this nursery to resolved first two issues occur on my order. Professional turned unprofessionally response on my third issue. I got three strikes, really bad luck with this nursery. First, one of my roses die, second, sent me wrong rose (luckily I have a proof of wrong tag). Third one is happened but hidden; I got wrong rose only I realized on when blooms. I sent email to notify them according to their guarantee but no response at all. This rose is not rare, I can get grafted version of this variety in local nurseries. Honestly not feeling happy to keep the unknown rose with wrong tag. Still one more rose from my order waiting to bloom. Hope I get lucky, three strikes are enough. Beware! Make sure your roses from NR are true to the name, not just look at the plant size, foliage and service. But actually no one know what you get, I don't want that happen again.
On July 27th, 2012, bluebuster77 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Carol contacted me few days ago and offered to fix the issue. I already bought the one I'm looking for at local nursery. But thanks for the response.
Positive msslynne
Auburn, WA
May 13, 2012
I ordered 13 roses for the first time from Northland Rosarium about 2 months ago-they have been planted a month 1/2 now and all are doing very well! The plants were gorgeous on arrival, so far both my Bulls-Eye rose and Night Owl have had a first bloom! I cannot believe the growth of both Darlow's Enigmas either. These were the easiest plants I have ever placed in the ground thanks to the great instructions that are included. I purchased based on reviews on this site-many thanks to ALL of you who posted and led me into discovering Carol and Northland Rosarium.
Positive GreenandGrowing7
Marcola, OR
May 13, 2012
I recently received my second rose order from Northland Rosarium. The plants I have purchased have all been very healthy and in beautiful condition. The roses are huge for bands and always grow quickly. They are carefully packed for shipping and have arrived when expected.

Carol always answers my emails and is extremely helpful and easy to work with. This nursery is at the top of my list for ordering the best band roses anywhere.
Positive lauriebr
Sandpoint, ID
May 10, 2012
I've bought from the company a number of times, and have always been pleased. The roses are large and well rooted. The owners and their staff are knowledgeable and super helpful. They tell the truth about the hardiness of their roses, unlike a lot of nurseries!
Positive klillquist
Stewartstown, PA
May 9, 2012
This year was the same as last. I ordered another 12 roses and all were in great condition when they arrived. As an update from my post last year, all 12 of last years roses have caught up in size with my grafted roses after only one year. Northland produces a very good product and I will continue to order from them in the future.
Positive monniemon
Lansdale, PA
August 25, 2011
This is my first experience with Northland Rosarium, and i luv it!!!!! I ordered and Big Purple and Firefighter Rose, and they came in great condition. I have over 100 roses and i have ordered from everywhere, Northland will be one of my favorites. I found Carol very personable, very nice to talk to and very professional. When my roses arrived i had some concern over the Firefighter rose, contacted Carol and informed her and told her i wanted to wait to see if it turned around, she was concerned and let me know to keep her posted on the progress of the plant and if i was displeased she would replace it, but it is doing great now. It is nice to have a company respond in a positive way to their customers.

Positive phdler
Homer, NY
July 25, 2011
Ordered ten roses from them and at least as many from a combination of other own-root rose growers. Northland's roses were consistently healthy, packaging was the best and all roses have already bloomed/been blooming like crazy. Will definitely order from them again. Very pleased with quality, communication, shipping, and service.
Positive lillquist
Stewartstown, PA
May 31, 2011
I recently received 12 roses and was extremely happy with their condition. I've grown roses for 30+ years but this was my first experience with "own root" roses. I expected them to be smaller than grafted roses, and they were, but they were larger than I expected and most were in bud or in bloom. After two weeks in the ground, one variety started bloom and I discovered the wrong rose was sent. Instead of a 4'-5' tea, I received a 11'-14' climber. This would not work in my garden. I emailed Northland and within 24 hours I received a reply and an invoice for a replacement rose which was shipped within a few days. They are now my sole rose supplier for future orders.
Positive deereyebrow
Black Hawk, SD
July 23, 2010
Very nice roses, shipped very fast. Friendly staff. Will order again!
Positive garyt
Presque Isle, MI (Zone 5a)
July 12, 2010
I received 3 very healthy rose plants in band pots. The band pots were larger than the band pots that I received from other vendors. Good service. I will be ordering from them again.

Gary
Positive sassy4u
Washington, UT
May 19, 2010
It took a little to get my rose but not too ban considering the distances. My snow pavement rugosa rose was in great condition and I would consider doing buisness with them again.
Positive kathrynkay
Great Falls, MT
May 13, 2010
This was my first time ordering from Northland Rosarium and I was
overwhelmed at the size and quality of these roses. I received
Emily Carr, Daybreaker, Westerland and Leontine Gervais. Shipping
costs were reasonable and all 4 roses arrived in top condition with buds and beautiful foliage. They included very specific planting instructions. I will definitely be ordering from this vendor again!
Positive lissas
Deer Park, WA
May 13, 2010
What a great place! I showed up first thing this morning with a list of roses I wanted for my yard. Donna..I think that was her name...was so knowledgeable and extremely helpful. She listened.....and didn't try to sell me anything I didn't want....but also made suggestions. The roses are strong, healthy and a great size for bands. Friendly and just flat out nice. You just don't find that kind of customer service too many places anymore....Thanks to them my yard will be awash with roses...and I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone! And after I make some more room...I'll be back for more.
Positive moth2flame
Derwood, MD
April 19, 2010
I ordered 6 climbing roses from Northland Rosarium last spring. They arrived well-packaged and healthy on the specified date - 3 roses were already in bloom right out of the box. I followed the planting directions and the roses grew quickly with most blooming and tripling in size within a few months. (There was some die-back after this harsh winter but all the roses survived and are growing nicely.) Carol was also very helpful recommending specific roses for my garden and responds quickly to email. I was very pleased with my experience.
Positive loveblossoms
CA
United States (Zone 8b)
April 2, 2010
Posted on April 16, 2009, updated April 2, 2010
WOW. GORGEOUS! I just received my rose plants today and they are spectacular! All three roses arrived healthy, lush, and expertly packaged. As with other super-satisfied customers, I cannot compliment Northland enough. I will definitely be returning to place new orders with them for some of the most exquisite, high-quality rose plants I have ever purchased to-date. Thank you, Carol! (and thank you to Billi, too, for the wonderful email updates on my order) God bless!
On May 15th, 2009, loveblossoms added the following:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Northland Rosarium! I placed a second order after being extremely pleased with my first order from them earlier this Spring. I don't know how they do it, but their roses are by far the most exquisite of all rose vendors I've purchased from. I could cry. They are top-notch. I almost don't want to buy my roses from anywhere else (unfortunately, I may have to in the event they do not carry every rose I wish to buy). Either way, Northland is now my #1 first go-to place for exceptional own-root roses. God bless you, Northland!
On April 2nd, 2010, loveblossoms added the following:

Another fabulous season of roses from Northland and I couldn't be happier. Special thanks to Billi for always taking great care in answering my questions and giving my orders prompt and thoughtful attention. Communication is wonderful and Carol is marvelous in promptly and accurately processing my invoices. Plant material of course is consistently the best. Strong, healthy rose bushes are packaged no less than perfect and I couldn't be thankful enough. Great job once again, Northland! Thank you and I'll be back!!!
Positive hbendelw
Whites Creek, TN
October 15, 2009
Ordered Ebb Tide and Midnight Blue own root. They came very healthy with great planting instructions and have done very well. Communication was great; I liked their helpful and friendly attitude.
Positive tontogirl
Powersville, MO
July 21, 2009
I love these roses. I have very good luck keeping them alive through the winter. I keep coming back for more every spring. A very good selection of roses.
Positive wrenhill
Decorah, IA
May 31, 2009
The quality of the roses I received was outstanding--much larger than I expected for bands. They arrived exactly when I had requested and were well packed to make the trip. I will be back again. Thank you!
Positive PeggyOregon
Florence, OR
May 21, 2009
Love, love, love this company! I've been ordering from them for about 3 years now &, without fail, every plant has been top-notch. Plant them in the ground & they just take right off. They are rock solid reliable with their shipping & are easy to contact to ask a question if need be. I can't say enough good things about this company.
Positive BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA
October 17, 2008
WOW! I cannot say enough positive things about this company. Their online order process is very easy. Their packaging is OUTSTANDING, resulting in extremely healthy, stress-free plants when they arrive. One of my four bushes even arrived with it's lovely bloom in tact! They were quick in shipping my order and their prices are reasonable. Their roses are smaller than a gallon, but substantially bigger than bands from other companies. To me, these seem to be the perfect size for mail order... allowing less expensive shipping but still providing an established plant rather than a stick with leaves. The only thing I would hope they improve in the future is the order confirmation process... I did not receive a confirmation email after I ordered and had to write to make sure my order had been received. I believe their system would be improved with a followup email to customers once each order is processed. Otherwise, this was truly a wonderful shopping experience. I will definitely be a repeat customer. Ev =)
Positive tnllanning
Brea, CA
June 26, 2008
I purchased groundcover roses from Northland which were cheaper, arrived more quickly, and were in significantly better condition than the identical roses I purchased a few weeks before from another mailorder nursery. I was very pleased with this transaction (and the plants) and will definitely order again from this nursery.
Positive garyj59
Sheboygan, WI (Zone 5a)
June 11, 2008
I received my first order today,Only took 2 days from the west coast.They have varietys no one else had and sent very nice looking roses with resonable prices.
Positive littlebrook15
Rock Tavern, NY
May 30, 2008
Super thrilled with this company. The roses are large for bands, and very healthy and beautiful. One even has a bloom. I am very pleased with the quality of their packing, and the shipping was quick.

I will be a repeat customer, for sure!
Positive Kassia
Framingham, MA (Zone 6a)
May 19, 2008
I am so impressed by the quality and health of the roses I got from Carol!
Excelent customer service
Excelent packing - organized and really neat!
The roses are great size for bands - healty, green and some has a bloom so you can actually see what the rose will be like!
And their price is good too...

No question that I will get more roses from Carol...actually I just placed another order...
Positive Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA (Zone 9a)
May 15, 2008
This nursery offers an outstanding variety of roses, some of which are not available elsewhere. My recent order arrived in perfect condition, mainly due to the superb packaging method the nursery uses. The plants are healthy and vigorous, prices are reasonable, and customer service is excellent.
Positive DigMontana
Libby, MT (Zone 4b)
May 15, 2008
I recieved my order from Northland Rosarium today and am very happy with how healthy my bareroot roses look. I also recieved another bare root rose today from another company and comparing the two, Northland was bigger, cost less and looks healthier.
Northland was very good at communicating through emails with me.
They also sent out liturature on the roses. I would definately order from them again.
Positive wnddyer
Randleman, NC (Zone 7a)
April 26, 2008
Just wanted to say how pleased I am with this company. I received both orders (Polareis and Johann Strauss) quickly and I was very happy with the health of the own root plants. They were both very healthy and JS had two buds which already bloomed, and Polareis has no buds yet, but it is already putting out new growth! They were both in excellent condition and I just cannot say enough how happy I am!

I have bought from other companies that sell own root, but so far none have arrived in as good health as Northland Rosarium has.
Positive Cloisters
New Bern, NC
April 3, 2008
I recently received my first order from Northland. The plants were carefully packed for shipping and survived their cross-continental trip in great condition. They are of a size that I would expect for bands (much larger than some I've received from other vendors) & look very healthy. Detailed planting & care instructions were included.

I hope that Northland will develop a system for confirming orders, and/or notifying customers when plants are shipped. At any rate, I plan to order from them again.
Positive Mary1NYS
Sherrill, NY (Zone 5a)
March 28, 2007
Last Fall I recd 2 roses Wild Blue Yonder and Betty Boop. These are nice healthy roses which have doubled in size and are now waking up from winter dormancy. I am very pleased.
Negative amarettonc
Raleigh, NC (Zone 7b)
March 27, 2007
I placed an order with Northland Rosarium on December 31, 2006 for 5 roses and did not receive an order confirmation. After a week I left a message for the owner asking if they received my order. Carol called me back in a few hours saying she received my order for the 5 roses. On Jan 9, I got an email saying they will be confirming availability shortly. By Feb 18, I had not heard anything from them, and their website now showed 2 of the 5 roses I ordered as sold out. I emailed the company and after two days I did not receive a response, so I called Carol again and she said she did have 1 or 2 of one variety that was shown as sold out, and I would be getting one of those, changing my order total to 4. I asked her to send me an email showing the new order quantity. Carol said they would be emailing invoices soon. I never received an invoice. Now, less than 1 week before the shipping date, Carol called me to tell me that the 1 variety she had 1 or 2 of did not grow well and she would not be able to supply that one, changing my order quantity to 3. I requested she cancel my order.

Carol was always very pleasant to talk to, but this company's communication has been poor, in fact the worst of any web-based business I have dealt with. No order confirmation, no invoice even after I requested one. I appreciate the fact that this is a small business, but other small businesses have been able to send me an order confirmation.

I had found two other companies who had the roses I wanted from Northland. I chose Northland because they were own-root roses, and a little cheaper. The other two companies have now finishing shipping roses for the season. If I had known earlier that Northland in fact was sold out of those 2 varieties, I could have ordered them in time from the other 2 companies. This is why I am rating this experience as "negative."
On March 28th, 2007, amarettonc added the following:

Thank you Carol for responding to my review. I also received your email saying the same, so I know you had my email address to send me the order confirmation and invoice I requested. If you had been this quick to provide information for the past 3 months I have dealt with your company, I would not have posted a negative review.
Company representative comment on March 27, 2007:

On Mar 27, 2007 7:10 PM, Northland Rosarium added:

email sent out to customer below:

Dear Andrea, I received your message today and will cancel your order. I apologize for the lack of communication with you Andrea, my goal is to always have my customers feel comfortable about their orders and the way we do business. Interestingly enough your order has been pinned to my bulletin board as I have been giving a couple of your roses special attention, however I obviously did not communicate that to you. I don't want to make excuses just to say that as a grower we sometimes cannot predict the outcome of plant material.

I always make an effort to respond to my customer needs and will take your comments under consideration and try to do a better job of keeping my customers informed. If there is anything we can do to make you feel better about your experience with Northland Rosarium please let me know.

Best Regards,
509-448-4968

Positive Allie88
Palmyra, PA (Zone 6a)
December 23, 2006
I had a wonderful experience with this company. The roses are grown on their own root stock, so there are none of the annoying shoots springing up all over the place. So far they are healthy and beautiful. They were a bit smaller than I was expecting, because they are grown on their own roots. But they were beautifully healthy and have been doing very well. And the customer service was excellent- Friendly and professional.
Positive RosyRapture
Saint Louis, MO
August 20, 2006
I have purchased roses from Northland for two seasons now. Carol is an attentive, enthusiastic owner who really cares about her customers. If you leave a message or email, she will call you back and deal with your issues in the most kindly customer-service-friendly manner. I like Northland's website too. It is colorful and easy to surf. Their varieties of modern roses are outstanding. No duds here. Floribundas, Climbers, Romanticas and Bucks are well represented, as are many new-to-the market 'superstar' roses. They don't have many older roses in comparison, but those types are well-represented at other nurseries such as Chamblees and the Antique Rose Emporium.

Northland carries many hard-to-find varieties that are on their own roots. This is a Godsend for own-root freaks like myself who are frequently frustrated by seeing coveted varieties carried exclusively by grafted rose nurseries. The size of the plants is not the largest out there--they are sold in bands--but the plants are extremely healthy and grow quickly once planted. Northland also has a clearly-stated virus policy: that they propagate from virus-free stock. This is a standard that should be endorsed by ALL own root nurseries, but that is NOT always endorsed. All in all, Northland is a quality nursery with friendly people, top-notch varieties, and prompt professional shipping. I count them amongst my very top nursery sources.
Positive JeanneTX
Willis, TX (Zone 8b)
July 20, 2006
I ordered 8 Roses from Northland and they arrived in 2 days...They were packaged just beautifully!!..Never saw anyone do such a great job and the Roses are Awesome..Carol over at Northland was so helpful when I called and is the Greatest!!..Thanks Carol..I will most definitely be a return client for life...Jeanne
Positive PhylRae
Baldwinsville, NY
July 17, 2006
My husband and I ordered three own-root roses from NR this past spring. We were very pleased with the health and size or each rose. We got Polka, Neptune and Peter Mayle and all are thriving. They were also very helpful/knowledgeable about specific varieties when calling on the phone for advice. A very good experience and we plan to order from them again in the future.
Positive lnkirriemuir
Stratham, NH
June 8, 2006
i found this company thru dave's website! i wanted a specific rose and, although i was late ordering (late May), they shipped out some lovely plants. great instructions. very positive experience!
Positive tamarava
Chesapeake, VA
April 14, 2006
I just received my first order from this nursery. I was looking for an own root Peter Mayle. I was very pleased with the roses. The roses are in wonderful condition and the instructions are carefully written. My email concerning my order was answered promptly. I also like the fact that they care about the virus issues and address that concern in their policies. I would highly recommend this nursery to other rose lovers. Regards, Tamara B.