The scoop on 'Theodore Payne Foundation'

Theodore Payne Foundation

10459 Tuxford Street
Sun Valley, California 91352-2126 (United States)

Visit Theodore Payne Foundation at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on October 15, 2002:
Theodore Payne Foundation is a non-profit California native plant nursery. Only seeds (not plants) are available by mail.

Comments:

Positive SDCA
San Diego, CA
October 26, 2010
I recently ordered an ounce of a native seed mix from TPF. It took a little while to arrive but it wasn't a surprise because their people did a very good job of keeping me up to date on the situation. I have yet to assess the quality of the seed but I expect it will be just fine due to this companies reputation.
Positive 123456789
Winston, OR
April 21, 2007
I have done business with this company alot they always have rare and even threatened plant seeds, so you can partner with resource managers to ensure their survival. they are pretty much the one stop shop.
Positive loneranger
Temple City, CA
May 12, 2005
I highly recommend Theodore Payne if you are interested in growing California native plants.

I've purchased many native plants and seeds from them. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. I think the plants are a little pricier than average, but they have a much more comprehensive selection than other places I've looked.

I make my purchases in person, so I've never tried mail order from them.

Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
November 27, 2004
The Theodore Payne Foundation has a nice assortment of seeds I couldn't find anywhere else (except perhaps B&T World seeds, and the prices there were much higher). My order was handled quite quickly, and they included helpful germination hints (like one variety liking ashes sprinkled on top, which ones need cold treatment, which ones need to be nicked, etc.). If the seeds don't germinate, it's probably not this company's fault. I am NOT an experienced grower from seed, but that never stopped me from trying things...
On March 14th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

good germination rates so far.