The scoop on 'Rohrer Seeds'

Rohrer Seeds

Smoketown, Pennsylvania 17576 (United States)

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Positive Boggardner
Middleborough, MA
March 3, 2014
Had to add a comment since there are so few here and Rohrer's is my go to. I only started gardening 4 years ago but when I started I asked my mother for a good seed company to order from since she's been gardening for 30+years. She recommended Rohrer's and I haven't looked back. Very reasonable shipping, great quality and excellent customer service, noting their paper catalog is rather simple. For several years my mother has ordered me seeds and other gardening supplies as a Christmas gift. Rohrer's would ship what they had in inventory to my mother's house in PA in time for Christmas and the remainder of the order when in season or when it came into inventory would be shipped to my home in MA without any issues or us needing to call and remind them!
Positive oceanart
Cranberry Isles, ME
March 27, 2012
Posted on March 27, 2012, updated March 27, 2012
The short version for people just looking for a reputable seed company.
I have ordered from the following companies for years
they all have good prices, customer service and good germination rate.
Johnny's, Kitazawa Seed, Rohrer seeds, Territorial Seed Comp, and Seed Savers Exchange.

On March 27th, 2012, oceanart added the following:

I am taking the time to write a longer comment for Rorer Seed Company because they have so few comments on their Company here at Dave's Garden and they are an excellent company.
I order a lot of seeds, some $500 worth. When I make an order I compare the amount of seed in the package to the cost and go with the companies that I know are reliable, and have the best price per a seed and shipping. This is Not my first year gardening, I have been gardening for many, many years.
Rohrer Seed Company doesn't have a flashy catalog, but, they have some really great prices per seed, and I have had excellent results. Some of the seeds that they sell are their own seeds and some come from other companies, the seeds from other companies are clearly listed on their web site and you can go to that particular company and then buy seeds from them. I looked into doing this but after "doing the math" and adding in all the shipping costs for X number of companies for a few packages here and there it was much cheaper to just buy the seeds from Rohrer's. I still place orders with Johnny's, Kitazawa Seed, Territorial Seed Comp, and Seed Savers Exchange but I also buy at least a fifth of the seed that I get from Rohrer's.
Positive thelawnwolf
East Earl, PA
March 9, 2011
very nice people and great service
Positive kwheaton
Saint Helena, CA
October 9, 2010
I have been ordering from this PA store in the heart of Amish Country for years. I have ordered by mail, phone and in person when traveling in the area.

Their website and catalog are lack luster but their seeds are solid. Their catalog tells you which seed company their seed comes from. Burpee, Lake Valley, their own or others. Their shipping charges are extremely reasonable or free (buy 15 seed packets and shipping is free). Their 1/2 oz. or larger packets of their own seed are a great buy. Otherwise $3 for shipping seed packets.

They also sell seed potatoes and bulbs although I have not ordered these.

Good selection of vegetable and flower seed. They sell many heirloom and organic varieties. Do check them out. They sell locally to many Amish family farms.
Negative Dearjane
Harpers Ferry, WV
June 20, 2007
'Dr. Martin's Lima' is an old Lancaster County heirloom. It was introduced to the public and can still be obtained from the Landix Valley Museum Heirloom Seed project. I had some problems ordering from this company (Rohrer's)because of a negative attitude of a person in their office, Peg, but this was awhile ago and she's probably retired by now, so would try ordering from them again...
Positive rjseeney
Ft Mitchell, KY (Zone 6a)
March 1, 2004
I came across this company trying to find a hard to find Pole Lima Bean seed, Dr. Martin. They are the only company that I could find that supplies them. I ordered the seeds on a Friday and received them the following Monday. They also sent a catalog with the order. They offer a good selection of seeds, and alot of heirlooms. They are worth a try.