The scoop on 'Heirloom Roses'

Heirloom Roses

24062 NE Riverside Drive
St. Paul, Oregon 97137 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: $5

Visit Heirloom Roses at:

This company is affiliated with 2 companies:This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive OldChurchEggery
Mechanicsville, VA
August 8, 2014
Posted on November 30, 2012, updated August 8, 2014
Posted on September 5, 2012, updated November 30, 2012
I ordered two roses back in February of this year (2012). They shipped in May and arrived hale and hearty. In reading the reviews here and on their company website, I knew what to expect so I was not disappointed when smaller plants arrived. You wouldn\'t know it now to see them, though- they have grown by leaps and bounds! I got 1 Apothecary rose and 1 Rosa Mundi. We initially had a dry, hot spring, so I was a little worried about them. Then the heat broke and we\'ve had good rainfall. Without any watering other than initially soaking them, my Apothecary rose has grown 4 sizable side branches and the Rosa Mundi has grown 2. I dug the hole very deep and put rotted cow manure in the bottom, spread a 3-foot diameter ring about 3\" deep of mulch around the base of each plant, and then made a cage from cattle fencing and contractor stakes to make sure no rabbits or deer nibbled them. They really have settled in great and I can\'t wait to see how much they grow next season. Who knows? Maybe I\'ll have some early blooms! I\'m in zone 7 and they are in full sun in my front yard.
On November 30th, 2012, OldChurchEggery added the following:

Earlier this fall I ordered two miniature roses and one climbing rose, Devoniensis. The two miniature roses were a gift for my brother\'s wife and the Devoniensis is to ramble along the picket fence we built this year. Since fall is more of a rest period for plants, the climber hasn\'t grown any but is settled into its spot for next spring. The miniature roses I potted up and gave to my sister-in-law who was thrilled. They have an extremely steep front yard and she doesn\'t want to landscape until they can do some berms or some other serious earthwork, so she thought having two little roses she could easily move around would be perfect. I also ordered some of the metal plant tags you twist onto a branch and have been happy with those as well. Now I can tell what\'s in my garden after my toddler makes off with the tags I stuck in the ground!
On August 8th, 2014, OldChurchEggery added the following:

I am so happy with the way my roses have flourished and in one case rebounded from apparent death. The original two roses I purchased, Rosa Mundi and Apothecary Rose, bloomed in spades this year! I've not been the best pruner so they look leggy, but I wanted to get the rose hips to mature. It's okay with me because my garden is more cottage style than formal. The Climbing Devoniensis is now a beautiful addition to my picket fence and rewarded me with some amazingly fragrant flowers this May. I can't express just how glad I am to have bought own-root roses because the Devoniensis totally DIED down to the ground for reasons unknown just a few weeks after I planted it. I highly suspect my husband accidentally spilled gasoline or something while doing lawn chores. I left the blackened remains in place thinking "Maybe there's life in the roots" and sure enough, there was! In spring of last year it made a comeback with three new shoots. One was nipped off by a rabbit but the other two are now probably 6 or 7 feet long and had just the prettiest flowers on them. I ordered three other roses from Heirloom last fall- Evelyn, Glamis Castle, and Ginger Syllabub, the last of which is a climber for my new trellis. All three had a few flowers on them this spring so I got to enjoy a little early taste of what's to come. I purchased an "Oh My!" for my aunt, which was shipped in May or so. She has it in a large pot until the soil settles around their house and told me it has about tripled in size and even had flowers on it.
Positive MaryMaryQCon
Anacortes, WA
August 6, 2014
After seeing some of the previous comments for Heirloom, I was hesitant to order. Then I saw that ALL mail order nurseries seem to have at least a few such comments so I took the plunge. In July, ordered 8 roses I've been craving but haven't found locally. Arrived pretty timely & excellently packed. Plants were small, yes, but not twigs. All were healthy & happy. Root systems were tight & definitely ready to come out of their little pots.. Re-potted into 4 gal. pots to grow out, put 4 in my greenhouse (live in Puget Sound area, cool summers) & set out 4 into my rose garden to try outdoor care. Three weeks later, all 8 show new growth & half have buds already. Three cheers for Heirloom!
Positive ray47
Stottville, NY
June 23, 2014
Ordered Austin rose Hyde Hall (to fill large hole in part sun/part shade spot) on June 12, 2014--arrived June 16. Rose was loosely rooted in damp peat and held together in a plastic bag. It was leafed out; no sign of disease. Dug hole and planted rose upon receipt. June 23, 2014, new leaf growth, didn't droop even though peat fell away when planted. Went through their online catalog made list of future purchases.
Positive KarenCambridge
Cambridge, MA
June 23, 2014
My comments don't relate to the roses I received, but to the shipping. The roses were shipped very quickly, and I very much appreciated the fact that they were shipped at the beginning of the week (so they weren't sitting around over a weekend). Most of all, though, I have to comment on the packaging. I have NEVER seen such wonderful packaging for mail-order plants. Plastic surrounded the pots so soil didn't spill out, and a cardboard insert ingeniously kept the pots/plants in place within the shipping container. I am very impressed, and I'll be ordering more.

The miniature roses I received were in tolerable shape, considering they had to fly across the country ... and in just a few days they've perked up and seem to be in great shape.

They can count on me to be a continuing customer!
Positive sunshimmer
Shamokin, PA (Zone 6b)
June 10, 2014
I ordered an everblooming climbing Cecile Brunner from them last spring. It arrived healthy and undamaged. Packaging was done really well. I planted it right away and watched it grow. By the end of the summer, I noticed it had only grown about 12-18 inches high and looked more bush-like, but I thought maybe it needed more time to settle in. Well, this winter was a very harsh one in our climate and we had crazy spring temps too that went from below freezing to the mid 70's all in one day. This happened most of early spring. I kept watching the plant and it appeared that all the previous years growth had died and it was resprouting from the roots but more in a bush form again. In the meantime, I ordered another of the exact same kind for this spring to plant in a different place along my fence line. (trying to cover a 40ft section of chainlink) It arrived healthy and undamaged as well. I contacted Heirloom about the plant from last year looking like a bush form and the dieback and that I really needed the climber for the fence. I also sent them pics. They not only replaced the original one with another, but they also sent me another one for the one I ordered this spring just in case it isn't the climbing one. They told me to keep the ones they originally sent and sent me 2 more of the everblooming climbing Cecile Brunner which both arrived healthy and doing wonderfully in the ground. These new ones do look slightly different than the ones they originally sent me as these look like they do have canes at the base instead of a trunk and then a vase-like bush. I can't speak enough about how polite and prompt they were with addressing my situation and apologizing for any mix-ups. I can easily see how it could've happened. It would be VERY difficult to tell them apart if not almost impossible if they weren't labelled right away or improperly labelled. I will definitely be doing business with them again just because of their great customer service and how beautiful and healthy the plants are.
Positive deforestliz
Sandy, UT
June 3, 2014
I cannot speak to the overall service, I got my roses as a gift from my mother. She knew I wanted an Apothecary's Rose badly. They thought they were out when she visited, but looked in back and found two. They arrived while I was gone and my husband stuck them in the ground. They are thriving. Unlike some commenters I prefer buying small plants as I believe they adapt faster and better. I will likely buy more.
For the person who loves scent, I have Rugosas I ordered from Spring Valley which have thrived as well, it takes a year or two, then they do become invasive, but mine are filling in a hedge so that is ok. Spring Valley is my first choice, but they don't have the same selection because they only grow extremely hearty plants for the far north.
Positive itsmesue
Canton, IL (Zone 5b)
June 2, 2014
I ordered two "Midnight Blue" shrub roses.

They have arrived and they look as big and as good as roses I got from some other rose nurseries that were listed in the top 5 of Garden Watchdog.

At this point I am not at all disappointed with the rose plants I received.

They are going to be planted today, and I will update how they do once planted and through out this summer (and how well they do in our central Illinois winter).
Positive KJWThack
East Lansdowne, PA
May 30, 2014
Posted on May 9, 2014, updated May 30, 2014
I have for several years looked at the Heirloom Roses website and seriously considered ordering a few of their roses because they have so many difficult to find and lovely varieties. But then I would check out the reviews on here and they all essentially said the same thing: plants not much more than a stick, not old enough to travel or survive. I didn't have the time needed to baby the roses until they were old enough to survive in my garden.

Then this year I once again gazed longingly at the website and noticed that it had changed - and apparently the ownership had changed as well. Came here and the reviews had gotten much much better. So I took the leap and ordered 5 bands. I am so glad that I did. A few days ago I received 5 meticulously packed and very very healthy plants. They are very good size for bands, and really leafy and vigorous. I will definitely order from them again...but probably not until I get a bigger yard. :)

As for the review from the person complaining that her roses didn't have a fragrance - not all roses have a fragrance. Actually, a high percentage of them do not. That isn't something that is the fault of the seller. If you smell the roses in the bouquets you find in grocery stores, for instance, they generally don't have a smell. And the range of types of fragrance and intensity of fragrance is quite large. You have to get particular varieties in order to get the fragrance you are looking for.
On May 30th, 2014, KJWThack added the following:

Just updating to say that the bands I received at the beginning of this month have already at least doubled in size and have buds already. One has already bloomed - gorgeous! I am ordering 3 more bands today because they have 3 that I was looking for in stock now that they didn't have when I ordered earlier this month. Can't wait to get them!
Positive Sockcranker
Felida, WA
April 25, 2014
Heirloom roses provides beautiful roses and terrific customer service!
I ordered from heirloom 3 times in 2013 ...ordering 3-9 roses at a time.
My first order was a surprise because the bands were small and I had never ordered own root . I planted them and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they flourished. All of my roses from heirloom are doing incredibly well and I especially love my Artic Sunrise...beautiful perfect blooms that last forever! There was some confusion with one of my orders and Shonna in customer service took care of my problem quickly and professionally.
I highly recommend heirloom roses!

Sockcranker, WA
Negative Rosalee916
Citrus Heights, CA
April 24, 2014
I purchased approximately 19 roses from Heirloom roses at around 03/13. The roses did come as small cuttings, which was very different than receiving bare root or in a container. They all grew pretty well except for one which was promptly replaced by Heirloom. Also at that time, I voiced my concerns about some of the roses not having a scent. I really don't remember them offering to replace these roses. First is the rose itself and does it have a fragrance? Smell the roses! Out off the 19 so far, 2 are the miniature rose and fragrance was not an issue. Everest Double Fragrance has some fragrance, but nothing huge. Hot Cocoa has none. Heirloom none, Royal Pageant beautiful, little fragrance, Star of the Nile, small, very little fragrance, Special Occasion, small, little fragrance, New Day, little scent, Sleeping Beauty little fragrance, Velvet Fragrance, little. New Dawn fragrant, Honore de Balzac fragrant, Paradise, Fragrant. Memorial Day, no roses, Zephirine Drouhin no roses. These roses are beautiful, but again no scent. What would all of you do?
Positive missnatural
East Hartford, CT
April 17, 2014
After reading the recent comments on this page, I was sort of expecting my new rose (a birthday present for a family member) to come in a 1-gallon pot, but no matter. I've been a customer of Heirloom Roses for years, and have come to appreciate the 3-inch pots that their roses have always come in. My new "Heart O Gold" rose was in transit for over 5 days, but arrived healthy and perky a few days ago. It hasn't gone in the ground yet, but endured 1/2 inch of unexpected snow night before last, sitting on my deck, and came through with flying colors. I expect that once it is planted, it will do as well as the other 7 Heirloom Roses I have, and be wonderful. Unless Ben does something terrible in the new management of the company (which I doubt will happen), I shall remain a loyal customer.
Positive bbbuild
Port Orchard, WA
April 10, 2014
I just made my first purchase from Heirloom Roses last week. I received my order today and am very happy with the condition of the David Austin rose I ordered. It was perfectly packaged and a healthy looking. From the low prices I was expecting a tiny plant in a baggie. Instead I got a 10", potted, leafed out plant. I will definitely order again from this company in the future.
Positive NoCamoview
Mountain View, CA
March 26, 2014
I ordered 8 own-root roses from Heirloom Roses a little over a week ago. In the process, I realized I over-ordered my pinks and needed to switch out a rose for a peach. Since I had not received the shipping detail yet I called and asked for them to swap out a rose for me. They were in the process of changing out their ordering system and said they would take note and confirm the swap. Well low and behold I got the order and I got the beautiful Kathryn Morley instead of the Alchemist, which I had wanted swapped in for the KM. Shoot. I sent an email telling them about the mistake and they promised to send me the Alchemist to make up for it. Today, I got a healthy Alchemist and I am thrilled to say the other eight are growing fast and furious. I would order from HR again and again and it seems Mr. Hanna and his team are serious business people running a stellar company. Congratulations, seems a lot of work has been put into the new purchase.
Positive sheepwrecked
Mutual, OH
February 2, 2014
Posted on January 25, 2014, updated February 2, 2014
I just figured out how to use your review site, so I apologize that my experience with this company is not current but I thought I should let the company and others know why I no longer buy from Heirloom Roses. I ordered several hundred dollars of roses over a 2 year period. Several shipped were such new cuttings that they had only 1-2 rootlets under 2 inches long. I feel the root system should be well established before shipping, or should be sold as unrooted cuttings, because these barely started plants are hard to nurse into growth after shipping stress. My biggest issue was that after a year I figured out that some were not what I ordered. For example the Climbing Cecile Brunner was just the standard bush version. Twice I ordered Darlow's Enigma, listed as being so highly perfumed you can smell it 10 feet away, but what grew was completely scentless. Then I ordered Prairie Sunset and received a rose labeled Prairie Star. When it bloomed it was in fact Prairie Star. The replacement sent in response to my complaint was another carefully labelled Prairie Star. After the second Prairie Star I gave up and stopped buying from Heirloom Roses. Roses are expensive and take a lot of work, so it is a very big disappointment to order something special and get ??? I feel this could be a very good company but they need to do better with "quality control".
On February 2nd, 2014, sheepwrecked changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Ben Hanna talked to me by phone and told me he had recently bought the business "Heirloom Roses". This spring he will start selling his roses in 1 gallon pots like Chamblee's and several other growers do, so there won't be any more barely rooted cuttings going out.

Even though he was not the owner when I had my problems with the 3 incorrect varieties sent to me, and even though, as I said in my first note it was not a current problem, he has insisted on sending correctly identified replacements when the weather permits this spring. He is going to grow them out in the greenhouse and doublecheck they are the correct varieties.

He would not accept any payment, even for shipping. I feel this is very generous from a person who was not responsible for my problems. It looks like Heirloom Roses will be operating under a much improved business model, and I expect I will return as a customer.
Company representative comment on January 27, 2014:
On Jan 27, 2014 4:39 PM, Heirloom Roses responded with:

Dear Sheepwrecked,

Please allow me to introduce myself. I am Ben Hanna, the new owner of Heirloom Roses. I am very sorry to hear of your experience and I personally apologize for the mistakes. We take pride in our roses and strive to grow and send healthy, correctly-labeled plants.

Currently, every rose that we ship has a fully developed root system and comes with a 6 month guarantee. If a customer is not happy with their rose we will replace it or refund your purchase.

I will reach out to you directly to discuss how we might be able to win back your trust.

Respectfully,

January 29, 2014
Posted on January 26, 2014, updated January 29, 2014
Posted on March 30, 2012, updated January 26, 2014
Posted on January 25, 2012, updated March 29, 2012
I received the roses from Heirloom earlier than any other growers. Plants seems small but I realized that very halthy and mutiple points that are ready to grows. Already leaves out and within few weeks grow over 6-8" in my 2 gallons pots. Their plants are like a miniature bush, one of top growers send me a stick like plant with one or two leaves :(
I order Tequila Sunrise and Tropical Sunset-I like unusual rare color, very exciting to see them bloom. I definitely consider to order from Heirloom rose again. Thanks
On March 29th, 2012, bluebuster77 added the following:

If I was the person to decide this ranking, Heirloom is the one of the Top 5 list.
After my 1st order was really made me satisfied (also it's my first own root roses and first rose to received earlier than others), I decide to order again from Heirloom. This time I ordered two David Austin roses, healthy, clean, non complicated professional packaging (Thank you) and of course fast delivery. Thanks again.
I'm sure roses are grow quick as first order, my first roses are ready to bloom in next a week or two. Awesome place to buy healthy roses. Like I said in first comment, plants seem small but there is multiple joints and ready to form bushy growth. I set Heirloom as my future resource to buy own root roses.
On January 26th, 2014, bluebuster77 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Unlike latest two negative comments, I've some disappointment with heirloom. I'm huge fan of heirloom over 3 years, even I went to nursery when I visited to Portland. Lately shipping cost is rising and plants are smaller and smaller, some roses are just like little stick. Slowly growing, I was so carful and put more effort not to loose my money..even better I propagate myself some variety from neighbors and friends. I was think twice to order from again. I don't complain if charge high shipping with bigger plants like Roses Unlimited or lower shipping with medium size plants like Rogue Valley
On January 29th, 2014, bluebuster77 added the following:

Hi Ben

Thanks for reading my feedback. I'm also standing as forever customer for Heirloom. If I think of buying new roses, I always browse your site. My latest experience was really bad. I understand the plants are small but smaller is very unusual. I'm not asking 2' tall plants with lush and blooms. At least some branches with 7"- 9" will be acceptable. I don't complain about roots, however, I put extra effort to rescue the tiny 4" stick to leaves out. I felt like I'm partialy grow this roses to thrive and reach acceptable condition. The plants I purchased during my visit were excellent condition ever. Meaning trust is involve in this case. I didn't leave this feedback if the plants are equally same on both purchases. But I think I will try again!
Company representative comment on January 27, 2014:
On Jan 27, 2014 4:38 PM, Heirloom Roses responded with:

Dear Bluebuster77,

My name is Ben Hanna and I am the new owner of Heirloom Roses. I am sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your purchase. Our shipping prices have not changed in almost 3 years and the plants.

Our company is committed to sending healthy, striving plants and we are always working to improve them. As we stand behind all our plants, I will contact you directly to make this right.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us the opportunity to add roses to your garden in the future.

Respectfully,
Ben Hanna
Owner, Heirloom Roses

Negative numberone
Toquerville, UT (Zone 8a)
August 22, 2013
My husband ordered 11 roses for me and they arrived fresh, but all of them had Thrips and viruses. I sent the pictures of those problem roses to them, and they said they were so sorry and the would send the replacement. I felt so appreciated and waiting for my replacement roses, which I expected them to be healthy. The roses arrived and they were all have the same problem like the first lot. I reported to them, and here they said. "We have discussed your roses in great depth with the shipping and plant health managers. We feel they did arrive in poor condition. However, if you defoliate and plant them they will be great plants for you to enjoy for many years to come." I didn't want any replacement, but I thought 'Heirloom' has good quality of roses. I won't order from them any more!
Positive googoo
North Aurora, IL
July 30, 2013
Posted on July 25, 2013, updated July 30, 2013
I received 3 bands from Heirloom Roses today, July 25. Superb packing, all leaves intact, prompt delivery . Their roots were long extending past the bottom, around 6" deep. The bands were 3" wide, substantial base.

The top growth were between 8" and 9" tall, dark-green and healthy. I grew 56 roses as own-roots, what matters is the length of the primary root, and the health of the plant. I bought gallon-size from local stores which were infested with slugs, virused, or dried-out ... versus Heirloom Roses being very healthy as own-roots, and no insects either to pass shipping laws. I'm a happy customer. See below for pic. of the rose received:

On July 30th, 2013, googoo added the following:

My 3 roses were shipped in medium-flat-rate box, with room for a 4th one. If I had known it, I could had ordered 1 more, save on shipping cost that way. The packing is excellent. I grow own-root bands in pots and 4 hours of morning sun until they become 2-gallon root-ball, then plant the entire root-ball at least 3" below ground, I haven't lost any own-roots that way for my zone 5a winter.
Negative Miramoo
Augusta, GA
July 4, 2013
My boyfriend purchased AngelFace for my birthday (April) and it said that June was the start of shipping. He got confirmation and everything but now it says they are out of stock?

Ummm. Forgotten order? Not enough supply? I figured he should have gotten at least told it was sold out, refunded, or made to chose another. So far, he has gotten neither or as much as a "sorry were out". Horrible way to do business. He will be trying for a refund and take his business elsewhere. Buyer beware. Disappointing with such high positives. :(
Positive GreeneLady
Oak Island, NC (Zone 8a)
June 13, 2013
Posted on March 25, 2009, updated June 13, 2013
After noticing people having problems with Jackson and Perkins, I decided to try another rose company. I've always admired the beautiful varieties this company carries, so this year I ordered 6 roses from Heirloom. I forgot to check the feedback here before ordering, so I was a bit disappointed that the plants were so small. Granted, 3 were minature roses. But the 2 climbers and Hybrid tea just seemed so tiny as compared to Jackson and Perkins.

However, they do look very healthy. I guess we will see in a couple years how they do.
On June 13th, 2013, GreeneLady added the following:

I have to add, after 5 years, all the roses I purchased from Heirloom became the stars of my garden. The Super Dorothy roses have completely covered a trellis, and with the spring bloom, it looks like it is dripping with pink grapes from the distance.

The fact that they are on their own root system and not grafted really seems to have a big impact on the health of the plant, and they aren't prone to suckering like grafted plants are.

Big props to this company. Don't let the fact that the plants are shipped small scare you. For the long run, Heirloom Roses provide the best product.
Positive virbar
Paige, TX
June 5, 2013
I have ordered dozens of times from Heirloom over the past 5 years. I am delighted with their wide variety of roses. I can only remember 1 time when I received a rose that was struggling after the trip from Oregon to Texas. I called to notify them and they offered to ship a replacement immediately. I suggested we wait a few days to see if it regained its health, but they shipped a replacement anyway. Regarding roses that weren't available for shipment at the time I ordered them, I have always received them either by the due date or before. Yes, the roses are small, but I have found that they are healthy and grow very fast. If I can't plant them immediately, I step them up to a larger pot until I can get them in the ground. I do always wait 3-5 days to plant them so they can adjust to the trip and climate change before they go into the ground. As soon as they arrive I dunk the
pots in seaweed and water just up to the rim of the pot so a little of that mixture seeps in, and then redunk if they need more water before i plant them. Then, when I plant the rose or step it up to a larger pot, I add the seaweed and water mixture again to keep it from going into shock. I've had great success with this method and with this company. As for people who want roses to arrive on a certain day before they go out of town, my advice is to order them after they return from their trip. Once any company turns an item over to a shipper, they don't have total control on when it will arrive unless you request overnight or 2 day delivery. I have recommended this company to friends and relatives in the past and will continue to do so. As another reviewer said, I am a fan.
Negative ForestSister
Long Lane, MO
May 28, 2013
Rec'd email notice noon Friday that the Order I placed on Monday was being processed. I Called them Immediately and asked them NOT to SHIP that day! It was Friday of Memorial Day Weekend. I was told they would decide what is best.
My order arrived the Tuesday after Memorial Day completely dried out and severely wilted. I called them again and was told to send it back and they would review it to see if it met the terms of their website guarantee. Their website reads like the really understand and care for their roses. It's a real pity the rose I ordered wasn't one that they cared about.
Positive mchicago
May 20, 2013
I have purchased more than 20 roses from Heirloom Roses as either gifts or to plant myself over the last 8-10 years. The roses do come in the mail as very small plants. There are only a few twigs with leaves. However, I planted an April Moon, purchased on sale, 3 weeks ago that has already tripled in size. My Zephirin Drouhin (aka the Monster) is about 5 years old and easily reaches 15 ft in either direction on my fence. It blooms profusely and hardly has any thorns.

I have had excellent luck with their roses but I have followed the directions they send - dig a really big hole, fill it with a mix of new soil and manure - water profusely. This has given me big bushes within a year or two. My only complaint is that they do not identify the invasive roses. I had two, a rugosa and a Tuscany Superb, that spread underground and started popping up all over. I just dug up the Tuscany Superb (hope I got it all) to plant the April Moon. I did not want the bush to take over - especially since it was a once bloomer.
Positive Chrisoc
Middletown, RI
May 7, 2013
Two years ago I planted 55 roses from this company. I ordered more (lost count) last year. No special care. All but one are thriving. Ordered another 33 this year. I was skeptical at first, but I've been growing roses for 40 years and I am convinced this is the best product on the market. Get them small and bareroot and they'll adjust to your garden conditions, unlike others that do well for a couple of years and then peter out. Haven't had to test their customer service as everything I've ordered has been delivered when expected and in perfect condition.
Positive Citro
Eden, MD
May 1, 2013
I couple of years ago I ordered 4 roses, one was suppose to be Lamarque. It had a blush tint, not the yellow it is suppose to have. I spent 2 years looking at pictures on the internet of white climbers, trying to figure out what it was. A Rosarian friend of mine finally ID'd it as Mme Alfred Carreire.
I contacted Heirloom to tell them of their mistake and couldn't believe, after all this time ,that they were not only apologetic but offered to send me a rose of my choice. This kind of customer service just doesn't exist today and I will become a customer once again.
Positive rosesnpots
Virginia Beach, VA
April 29, 2013
Ordered 2 roses from Heirloom the other week. Both arrived in excellent condition (across the country to VA). They were quite large for band pot roses and had strong very full root system that filled the pot. This is not the first time I have ordered from Heirloom and with how these roses looked, it will not be my last (I just need a bigger yard).
Positive ladysaiga
Chesapeake, VA
April 15, 2013
I had a fabulous experience. I ordered six David Austin roses. They arrived impeccably packaged, healthy and beautiful and even quite leafed out.

Considering how inexpensive they are through this retailer, I expected to receive little dormant stubs in baggies. I'm super thrilled to find this was not the case. The great thing is I can plant more roses at this price point, and I don't worry about the size-they'll thrive, I can tell.

The website has a lot of info on each rose as well as some general information about rose care. The information allowed me to choose more shade tolerant roses, and even had more to offer than David Austin's own website does.

I called once to alter my order, and the lady was extremely kind on the phone. She even refunded me two separate charges though I hadn't asked her to do so, when combining two orders. I thought it was wonderful service. I'll definitely be ordering my other roses through this service.
Neutral 1audreyhepburn
Hemet, CA
April 5, 2013
I have yet to order anything as I am worried about the heat in hemet california. I want to get Sharifa Asma for myself and my mom in time for Mother's Day. Her Garden has very hard dry dirt with no shade. I know she will need to buy good soil to plant it but will it thrive or die?
Positive johnnygalt
Rockford, IL
November 9, 2012
Over the past 12 years or so, I have placed multiple orders to this company and have yet to be disappointed. In the past I have ordered a few climbing roses that were once blooming, which took a few years to take off--and finally did so with a storm of bloom and growth.

This year I did a test that even I hesitated trying for a new rose bed beside my driveway. In late August of 2011, I ordered 9 roses--all winter hardy Buck roses. I finally got them in the ground on September 20--and 10 days later had a hard frost. All 9 roses survived and grew to 4 feet by late June and put off a grand display of healthy roses and growth throughout the year.

You can't get any better than that from a rose delivered in something the size of a dixie cup!
Positive icebird28
Coppell, TX (Zone 8a)
November 4, 2012
Posted on September 4, 2012, updated November 4, 2012
I ordered 5 roses from Heirloom and 3 came today. I read the reviews here first and while I was aware they would be small, I think they looked great. I was amazed at how well packed they were. The 3 pots were in individual bags with twist ties so all the perlite and soil doesn't fall out. They also used split bamboo stakes to sort of keep the pots together in a row which I thought was a nice touch. Can't wait for the other two and hope these babies do well, too bad we're supposed to have more 100 degree days this week.
On November 4th, 2012, icebird28 added the following:

I wanted to provide an update. I have a bud on one of the roses, they've continued to flourish in part sun on my patio and I have since re-potted them into 1 gallon pots. The Sterling Silver, which a lot of people complain is hard to grow, is doing excellent. The bud eyes on that one continue to sprout. They are tops on my list, would've ordered more from them but I'm impatient and a newbie to roses. Thanks Heirloom.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
August 1, 2012
Posted on July 28, 2012, updated August 1, 2012
Posted on July 23, 2012, updated July 28, 2012
This was my first experience ordering from this company. I will confess that it was because I could not find The ingenious Mr. Fairchild elsewhere, and it was enthusiastically recommended by Peter Schneider, author of Right Rose, Right Place and the Combined Rose List. I also had long coveted Jacqueline du Pre, so I ordered that too. I have always ordered much larger roses.
Jacqueline
I was pleasantly surprised by the small jewels I received. They have healthy leaves and no disease. They are already growing from being cut back. And they arrived on a 94 degree day!

Yes, they are small but they look raring to go. I am very pleased and will be back.
On July 28th, 2012, DonnaMack changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Well, spoke too soon. I was sent, not Jacqueline DuPre, but Jude the Obscure. Naturally, I noticed this when I was watering them and looked closely at the tags. Since this is Saturday, they are not available. I have sent them an email and will let you know the results.
On August 1st, 2012, DonnaMack changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I received my Jacquelyn Dupre today. After sending an email, which was cheerfully responded to, I was sent a lovely little rose, am very satisfied, and will be ordering again. The three roses are excellent, and I should add that it is almost 100 degrees today, and the rose is perfect.
Positive Gracye
Warrenton, VA
July 7, 2012
I have bought two orders from Heirloom Roses, 1) 4 roses, and 2) 3 roses.
I have no experience with "own root" roses. But I read their description, and at the minor cost of them, everything made sense to try them out. They arrived, tiny wee things (6" long and so narrow!), but the description told of this, and spoke of patience. The first year, one did not like where I planted it, and it died. Two just rested. The 4th became steroidal. I was actually shocked with the incredible thrift and growth rate. I got a few roses, but didn't expect this from the meager beginnings the first year.
I ordered 3 more (from their sale stock) and again, the spot where I put another type of rose was not great. It died. The other two rested, but it was getting to be mid-summer... That was last year.
This Spring, I got gutsy, and transplanted, without any notice or special care, the two roses that were not thriving. I have to say - they are GORGEOUS now. Much happier!
Which leads me to observe, with those negative ratings that I saw, most spoke of what I encountered, yet one wonders if THE PLANTING SITE or PATIENCE was not correct. Or if the descriptions were not read thoroughly. Mine are thriving, and greatly surpassing any in the neighborhood. No need to look elsewhere for roses, when Heirloom Roses produces such spectacular results, with such little cost!
Positive kndlovesroses
Memphis, TN
July 7, 2012
Posted on July 7, 2012, updated July 7, 2012
I have been gardening for over ten years, but am by no means an expert. I learn by extensive research and trial and error. The distributors in my area are having difficulty this year acquiring english roses so I thought I'd try out an on-line store for the first time. Makes me very nervous to not see/touch/smell what I am purchasing. I chose heirloom roses hoping for the best. I read every single page of text regarding the roses I chose and planting/care instructions to ensure I had correct expectations. A couple of months ago I received half of my shipment of six total roses. They were shockingly tiny...even with the expectation that they would be tiny ;)... I thought, oh my, what on earth have I gotten myself into. I re-read their site instructions and trusted in the information. I planted my beds EXACTLY how they told me to and placed them strategically for the correct amount of sunlight recommended. I will tell you that all but two have tripled, at least, in size and have bloomed multiple times and they have only been in the ground for less than 3 months. I am soooo delighted and proud. The roses I ordered were Lady of the mist, Othello (BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BLOOM), Glamis Castle (Beautiful dainty blooms), Pretty Jessica x2 (smaller, slower growers, but only 2 months in ground already starting to grow and branch out and I see 5 blooms in process already), and Lexy. Lexy is really small and not growing as rapidly as the others. The plant is healthy, just seems to be a slower grower for some reason. It may be the spot within the garden not getting the same hours of sun as the others. I am watching this one to see if she needs to be moved. The Lady of the mist bloomed once and the bloom did not look at all like the shape or color in the photo on-line. I wasn't sure I had the right plant. I emailed photos to heirloom roses. I did have to follow-up a few times to pursue, but received wonderful customer service and feel the situation was handled more than fairly. You cannot expect that the owner will respond immediately to your call/email. Think of how many customers they have and they cannot possibly respond to questions regarding extraneous care and instruction as I've seen some people complain on this website. That is your job to google and/or research. They can't be responsible past what they've already told you. They are in the business to sell a specific type of own root rose and they give you every thing you need to get started. Come on folks. :) I am just astounded at how healthy these plants are. They have zero spots, zero dead leaves, zero signs of anything but thriving, and most are triple the size in 2-3 months based on which shipment they arrived within. The leaves are such vibrant green and the blooms and fragrance are amazing already. I cannot wait to see what happens next year when the plants are mature. I will follow the pruning instructions and hope they take over my whole garden. :) I STRONGLY EMPHATICALLY RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY, at least based on my experiences so far this year. Also worth mentioning, I live in Memphis, TN and we are experiencing 104 plus unbearable heat. Every plant, rose, and even my grass is thriving due to the fact that I water twice per day right now and originally dug up the old nasty clay "dirt" and replaced with a mixture of sandy loam, top soil, and a bit of miracle grow potting soil mixed. They LOVE it and are thriving. Just a thought... you can't just plop them in a hole in whatever dirt you have and barely water. They are like children, it takes lots of time and lots and lots of preparation and effort to grow them into vibrant beauties vs. average (no growth/no death...just sit there). I know I sound like a commercial for them, but truly I am so very pleased and will highly recommend.
On July 7th, 2012, kndlovesroses added the following:

I almost forgot. I also ordered and planted the Comtes de Champagne. It bloomed once and now has 3 additional buds. The first bud, although only 2 months old, was absolutely gorgeous. It's growing very nicely.
Positive whitefragrance
Fredericksburg, VA
June 23, 2012
I bought 10 roses from heirloom roses for the first time. I was nervous about the order but was elated on opening the box when it arrived. They were packed beautifully, were of very vigorous growth signs,very nice size all were more than 10 inches from soil level atleast or more and are now in my garden already flowering this very year and showing very nice growth.I will always buy from this company in the future as i have ordered roses from another online website but they lacked the vigor that this company roses had.Thanks a bunch for what you do!
Positive samj530
Linda, CA
May 12, 2012
My initial review is a 5 out of 5! I ordered a David Austin 'Charlotte' rose for my grandmother as a Mother's Day gift. The order was placed after business hours via the website on 05/08/12. I didn't think the rose would make it to her on time, but to my surprise it arrived today, the day before Mother's Day. The order was processed, shipped & arrived all in 4 days! My Grammy called me to thank me, she said the plant itself is potted in a small black pot consistent with the pics on Heirloom Rose's site. The plant looks vigorous & was not wilted even though it has been in the high 80's the last couple of days.

I will update my post as we see how it fares here just north of Sacramento, CA.

I will not hesitate to do business again with Heirloom Roses!
Positive vommarlowe
Overland Park, KS
May 3, 2012
Posted on April 25, 2012, updated May 3, 2012
Posted on September 6, 2011, updated April 25, 2012
In May, I ordered three roses from them (Jayne Austin, Wife of Bath, and Lady of the Mist) for my new house.

The roses arrived in good shape. The leaves were deep dark green, the roots moist, and the instructions very informative. They were wee little sticks, which worried me a bit, I admit. (About 6 ")

Because of construction, I had to delay a bit, and followed their directions for that. When I was ready to plant, I carefully selected a site for each and planted them.

Three months later, the roses are doing great. One is nearly three feet tall. All have bloomed. I'm sorry to say that I did lose one to a construction accident, but until then it was going well (arrgh). Our summer was excessively hot (many days above 103) and my new home's soil is mostly clay, but so far, the roses are fine.
On April 25th, 2012, vommarlowe added the following:

I ordered eight more roses this winter (January). My order arrived exactly on time today. The roses look great--small, but healthy and strong.

Unfortunately, half my order (four of my eight roses) were not included. A packing slip indicated that they would ship in a 'couple weeks', which was disappointing, as I have already dug the holes and prepped the site. It's a very warm spring (92 already today), so I'm a little worried. I would have liked a note to warn me about the delay. I'll update when the other half of my order arrives.
On May 3rd, 2012, vommarlowe added the following:

All of my roses arrived! They were just shipped in different boxes--again beautifully packed, strong specimens with good leaves, healthy, moist soil.

A quick little update on last year's roses. As I mentioned, I'd ordered a couple of roses last spring/summer. As of now, Lady of the Myst is a solid four feet with many blooms. Jayne Austin is even more vigorous, a strong plant that keeps growing and growing and growing. I suspect it of planning world domination. Seriously, Jayne is a very large rose already--it's true what they say about the Austins, I think, that their sizes are based on English gardens and they will get quite a bit bigger in warmer climes. Despite the many bugs/insects in my area, these roses are in great shape.
Negative weaselskin
Durango, CO
April 14, 2012
The plants arrive healthy and well but small. They have not grown much or produced blooms in over 2 years. Other roses from other companies have done extremely well in our area. Summary about heirloom own root cuttings is they are small and stay small.
Positive riceke
Snellville, GA (Zone 7b)
November 10, 2011
Have ordered twice from them and plants arrived in excellent condition with good root structure and no diseased foliage.
Positive Kandi7
Tekamah, NE
October 13, 2011
prompt shipping and healthy plants- smaller than what you expect when they initially arrive but they catch up quickly
Positive glasspixel
Herndon, VA (Zone 7a)
September 5, 2011
Placed a very small order of three miniature roses. They came rather promptly and in excellent condition. The prices were decent, and on the third day of the roses being planted, they're already exhibiting signs of new growth.

I've been very pleased with my order and hope to be doing business again with them in the future.
Negative groMike
Clover Hill, MD
August 18, 2011
I have ordered from them several times each time has been worse than the last. The plants have been ok - small and expensive - they have grown ok.
Their customer order process and customer service needs some work! My last order was lost, after they charged my credit card. The person on the phone was less than helpful - couldn't even find my order, they didn't know how?! They refused to make up for their screw up by sending product to arrive by my dead line - after the date the plants should have arrived in the first place, I even selected plants in stock to avoid delays. There are good companies and I think I'll try and find one.