The scoop on 'Joy Creek Nursery'

Joy Creek Nursery

Joy Creek Nursery has 1926 products listed in PlantScout.

20300 NW Watson Road
Scappoose, Oregon 97056 (United States)

Visit Joy Creek Nursery at:

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on April 1, 2011:
We founded Joy Creek Nursery in 1992 after years of being frustrated by our inability to find the plants we wanted and reliable information about them at our local nurseries.
What started out as a mail-order nursery soon grew to include both retail sales and garden consultation, design and installation.

Our nursery is located 18 miles north of Portland, Oregon, on a ridge overlooking the Joy Creek canyon and the confluence of the Columbia and Willamette Rivers. The nursery proper occupies about seven acres of a forty-acre farm with the remaining acreage in both open fields and woodlands. Four-and-a-half acres of the property are devoted to gardens and stock fields, a half-acre to retail sales, and three acres to growing space. As gardeners we have over the years raised (or failed to succesfully raise) nearly 10,000 different species and named cultivars. Our display gardens are both educational as well as a source for propagating materials for the plants we sell.

Please be aware that we have around 2000 varieties for sale in our retail area some with quantities too small to list on the internet or in our downloadable catalogue. If you are seeking a hardy plant not listed on our website, make a request. It never hurts to ask. We do keep a wish-list and we notify you if the plant becomes available.

We are open for retail sales at the nursery seven days a week, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., March through October, or by appointment at other times. Please call 24 hours in advance to arrange to visit the nursery during the winter.

We are a small nursery so not all plants are available all the time. Remember that we have limited quantities of any one plant, so, if your visit is to get one specific plant, we recommend you double check availability to avoid a disappointment.

For mail order customers we ship year around weather permitting.

If you are planning on visiting the nursery be certain to see what topic is being presented at the Sunday class of the week. This seasons class list can be found at http://www.joycreek.com/education.htm

Our gardens are the best place to see our plants. Check out our blog at http://joycreeknursery.wordpress.com/ information about our gardens and other gardening related topics.

Also don't miss the photos at our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Joy-Creek-Nursery/121228942824 And by all means become acquainted with Yowler, our adopted nursery cat.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive MrsCreekbend
Franklin, TN
September 19, 2014
I recently ordered six Impress Purple lavender plants from Joy Creek Nursery. They were, by far, the best plants that I have ever purchased mail order. Each plant was individually wrapped and in perfect condition. The root system of each plant was awesome......not one plant was rootbound. Their selection of lavender plants is extensive and I will definitely be orderering from them again in the Spring. I only wish that I had found them sooner!
Positive islandteacher
Coupeville, WA
August 4, 2014
I have ordered plants several times from Joy Creek, and have never been disappointed. For one thing, their shipping is first-rate. The plants arrive fresh, and never root-bound. When I plant them, they take off. Really remarkable! I love their selection and prices, and a pleasure to deal with.
Positive riosamba
Marlboro, NJ
July 26, 2014
Posted on June 19, 2014, updated July 26, 2014
I have been a member of Daves garden for around 8 years and have written 16 positive and 2 neutral reviews in that time. This is the first negative review. Joy Creek shipped me 15 diseased growing cannas. The 10 Tropicana had huge lime green streaks just like the pictures on the internet and the 5 Stripped Beauty had brown where there should have been white. I have lived in N.J. for 35 years in the same house but have been growing cannas for most of my life. They are beautiful plants. The plants that were shipped to me were so obviously diseased that Joy Creek should be embarrassed to have even sent them. I have repeatedly asked for a refund to which I receive a response that they are having their cannas tested by a lab. Now they don't even answer my e-mails.Whatever the lab says they did not test the plants that were sent to me. I have about 500 plants growing at the present time of over 60 varieties and know what a diseased canna looks like. I wouldn't trust anything they say to me. I even barter cannas with my local nursery for other plants. The owner of the nursery likes my cannas because they have no virus. He and his son who does some planting for me as I have had 4 back surgeries agreed with me 100% that the cannas that I received from Joy creek were all diseased. I lost about half of my rhizomes this winter due to the cold I have always stored half of them in the garage and the other half in my basement which I have been doing for 35 years. I had to buy additional plants this year or I would have had a half empty garden. The only people that haven't ever sent me virused merchandise are Karchesky Canna who is the best canna resource in the USA and where I have been buying from for 8 years who grows over 150 types of cannas and Florida Hill Nursery who offers guaranteed virus free tissue culture plants but a smaller selection. I am so disappointed in Joy Creek for shipping me diseased merchandise that they should have been embarrassed to have even shipped and to not give me a refund is dishonest. I could understand if they had shipped me rhizomes which can look healthy but carry the virus, but to ship me such obviously diseased plants and not give me my money back is just plain wrong.
On July 26th, 2014, riosamba changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Joy Creek refunded my purchase in full. They wrote a letter saying they stand behind everything 100% and they do. They are as honest as can be and I am sorry I didn't wait back to hear from them but when my e-mails weren't returned I felt they were ignoring me. For a company to go through the trouble of testing plants at 3 laboratories is quite out of the ordinary. I changed my rating because of this.
Positive floria
Athens, GA (Zone 8a)
June 14, 2014
First time ordering: 13 plants, $112 total, out of which $34 was shipping+handling (UPS ground to Georgia). The plants had excellent root system (better than most companies) and were very well packaged (95% recyclable) - not a leaf moved during shipping - worth the $4 handling.

I think shipping at about a third of total is reasonable for plants that I could not find anywhere else - at least not in such a good shape. Yes, I would prefer to know the shipping price in advance; on the other hand, they obviously charge what the shipping company charges. In answer to an older comment about how the company should use USPS shipping boxes: I found that my box was quite heavy and I believe it was due to the gravel in their potting soil. In other words: I believe the plants would have been too heavy for a standard USPS box.

I will definitely order from this company again. I will also choose carefully what I order, aware of the trade-off: plants in excellent shape versus shipping fees to the East coast.
Positive jon4de
Bay Shore, NY (Zone 7a)
June 7, 2014
Iíll preface this review by saying that I get close to 90% of my plant material from mail order sources. Iíve ordered from enough nurseries to know whose stock is good for specimens, whose is good for price or volume and when things go on sale. Sadly, Iíve found Iíve cut back ordering from some sources because the shipping costs have sky-rocketed.

That being said, I was a bit uncertain when I first placed my order with Joy Creek Nursery, as final shipping costs wouldnít be assessed until the material was actually sent. Since they had the exact plants I wanted (and couldnít find elsewhere), I figured Iíd give it a shot and hope for the best.

Well, Iíve just received my Joy Creek shipment, and I donít know which was more impressive ... the quality of the plant material or the care taken in packing and shipping. I was truly stunned to receive such large, healthy, established plants. What a delight. Not only was the stock carefully and well packed; they arrived a day early and in perfect shape.

On paper, Joy Creekís plant material seems to be in the moderate price range, but that belies the size and quality you actually get. While the shipping costs may have been slightly higher than those of other nurseries, I didnít feel they were exorbitant. Both the plants and the handling charges were worth every penny paid. I look forward to ordering from Joy Creek in the future.

Positive kattyg
Berryville, VA
May 24, 2014
I ordered eight plants from Joy Creek Nursery, and because the order was placed relatively late in the spring, I could only hope to receive some of what I ordered. Instead, less than two weeks later, a box arrived with all eight of the plants, beautifully grown and in very good shape considering the four day transit they'd undergone. I am so pleased with the quality of this order, and indeed all eight are planted in the garden and look like they're already settling in - two days later! I will not hesitate to recommend this nursery to all of my gardening friends.
Neutral glendalegarden
Delmar, NY
May 16, 2014
Joy Creek has a very impressive selection and the plant size is generous. I have purchased clematis plants on two occasions.
I do have two concerns that are weighing on my future purchase decisions:
I order from many mail order companies and Joy Creek is the only one that does not provide the shipping cost until after the plants are shipped. Why is that? Also, compared to other companies, Joy Creek's packaging seems unnecessarily heavy which, of course, increases the cost.
Second, on the two occasions that I have ordered, I have received an email confirmation of everything on my order. I order early so plants are shipped over a month later.

However, on both occasions, when the order arrived, it was incomplete. Looking at the invoice, it states that the missing plants are "not available this year". I would appreciate getting that information as soon as Joy Creek knows the plants are available after all. I might have been able to order the plant elsewhere. I count on the plants arriving as promised.
Positive JetGal
Sugar Grove, IL
May 15, 2014
I've been ordering on-line from Joy Creek for almost 10 years & have not once been disappointed with the plants they've sent me. They have a huge inventory to choose from, plants packaged nicely & their customer service has always been very responsive & helpful.

I received my first order for this year today & once, again, I'm extremely pleased with the plants they sent me. I was blown away by the size hosta they sent me [which is their exclusive] ... I am a hosta collector & I don't even get that when I pay the big bucks for OS thru AHS, First Look or other auctions. That was so very much appreciated.

Thanks Joy Creek & if you can give me any advice on successfully growing D. Carol Mackie is appreciated.
Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
May 8, 2014
Posted on April 30, 2009, updated May 8, 2014
A very positive experience, ordered 6 Clematis from them that I couldn't find anywhere else (alas one wasn't in stock) - and wowser, the sizes are fantastic! I called right before they were shipping the original order for an add-on, great customer service and very helpful!
On May 8th, 2014, Bec_No_Va added the following:

We've moved and I just ordered my first Clems for my new garden...got my clems from Joy Creek today and they are HUGE!! Thank you!!
Positive lunchladyk
Durham, NC
April 11, 2014
Joy Creek is by far the GREATEST nursery I have dealth with online and I would use it if I was not on the East Coast. I would like to give a kudos to Kathy as she is a great Customer Service rep and she has taken care of my oroblems and make everything worthwhile. the plants I have gotten fr the nursery are the largest and in best shape when they arrive. I would reccomend and have done so to others to use this nursery.It is the best .So to finish this up for others who are reading just try them out and you will see what I am saying.
Kathy T
Durham, NC 27704
Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
March 29, 2014
Received multiple clematis and a rose. Health of plants were very good as well as the packing and shipping of them across country. Kathy extended excellent customer service too. Would definitely order from Joy Creek again.
Positive champcooper
Houston, TX
March 28, 2014
Great customer service, fast shipping (just what I requested) and plants were packed well and of a good size. Would order from again.
Positive WRgardener
Roslindale, MA
March 5, 2014
I have been ordering Clematis from them for years. The service is great. They ship fast. The plants are very healthy and most important they have a very knowledgable staff. I order quite regularly from mail order garden companies. My first stop is always Joy Creek to see first if they stock the item.

Negative Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM
November 7, 2013
Posted on July 24, 2013, updated November 7, 2013
I ordered and received several clematis, very well packaged and arrived in great shape. One was a tad small but the other five made up for that one. After reading one comment here regarding the wrong flowering Clem being sent not once but twice, I am anxious to see what exactly I received . Hopefully ill get blooms next year. Their customer service is great and the varieties they carry are incredible.

I hope to order my second order from them soon, if not, they have my wish list and hopefully will be put on a waiting list.

Antoinette
On November 7th, 2013, Gourd changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

Changing my rating to negative as out of the several clematis I ordered, two or three seem to be identical plants, the flowers are the sane. I have been in contact with Kathy since September, she said she would send out a replacement for one in October, .. Nothing was shipped, I contacted her again and thus time she said it was too cold in my area, althought it is cold for me, it us not fir yhe plants, especially clematis. She suggested either a refund or mailing in spring. I opted for a refund over a month ago. No refund and no communication. I now want a refund and not a substitute that I was willing to take as long as it was different from the other three.

I don't know exactly what the problem us here. I doesn't take much to credit a credit card. I had planned to order more plants, but now, I seriously doubt that will order anything from them.

Antoinette Hague
Company representative comment on March 3, 2014:
On Mar 3, 2014 4:11 PM, Joy Creek Nursery responded with:

The customer requested a refund on October 22, 2013. The customer's credit card was credited with the amount owed on November 08, 2013. Our tardiness in refunding her money was our fault entirely, The transaction was set aside and did not get processed in a timely manner, shame on us! The customer was notified of the credit , our apology for the problem was extended but not accepted.

As for the plant in question it was explained via e-mail to the customer that the root growth on the proposed replacement was not sufficiently developed for us to be confident shipping the plant in the fall would have it successfully over winter.

Positive MulchingMan
Eugene, OR
November 4, 2013
After spending a weekend in Portland this summer, I drove out to Scappoose and purchased several perennials from them (mostly zauschneria, lobelia, and penstemon). The plants were of high quality and seem happy in my yard.
Positive my5rugrats
Elmwood Park, IL
July 23, 2013
I have ordered 6 plants from Joy Creek Nursery and I have to say I am very impressed with the size of the plants that I have received. I love ordering unique plants by mail and this is the first Nursery that actually has them and sends you mature 2 yr old plants that can be planted right away in the garden and also take off quickly. Joy Creek Nursery became my #1 choice when ordering unique plants especially double flowering hard to find clematis. I strongly encourage everyone to try them. They are worth every penny spent even the shipping charges and $4.00 handling fee. You will be spending the shipping charges driving from nursery to nursery looking for those hard to find plants so why not order from a company that is reputable and has them. You save time and money. They also stand behind their products so how can anyone not appreciate that. Thank you Joy Creek Nursery. I am a very satisfied customer.
Carmen C.
Elmwood Park, Illinois
Negative damienspe
Belmont, NC
June 5, 2013
I ordered several clematis last year from Joy Creek. Among those items ordered was Clematis 'Betty Corming.' All of the plants arrived in good shape and well packed. Unfortunately, a while after planting, when the plants began to bloom, it was apparent that the plant that had been sent as Betty Corning was something else, probably a small flowered species of some kind. The folks at Joy Creek were very good when contacted, and asked me to send them a photo; they replaced the plant immediately. Sadly, this year, the replacement plant is blooming and is the same species clematis. As a long time clematis aficionado, I am very sure of what Betty Corning should look like, so can only conclude that their stock is mislabeled in this case. They would probably make it good, but I have lost two seasons of bloom in a prominent place in my garden, so will probably not order from them again.
Positive evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA (Zone 8a)
May 2, 2013
I am very pleased with my order! These plants I received were of a good size, much larger than the average mail-order nursery and well-rooted.

I have used this nursery for many years, off and on, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone seeking quality plants, as well as being reasonably priced.

Originally, I requested that my plants not be delivered before May, due to late snowfalls, but since this year has been so warm, I requested a new ship date. They were very accommodating.
Neutral capnjohnny
Seattle, WA
April 4, 2013
My review is a bit mixed, great product, decent price but with a few administrative failings.

I started by emailing the company about a hard to find product, they were back to me in a snap, it was exactly what I needed. Perfect! I placed an order online.

After a week of not hearing from them I made a call to find for status. They did not receive the order. Very nice service rep took my order again and told me it would be in the mail Tuesday. When Tuesday came around and I hadn't heard, I called back. They are very pleasant to talk to, she remembered me and my order and apologized that they hadn't had time to get the order out the door, it would arrive next week. It took 3 weeks from my initial order but the plants finally arrived and they look fantastic, larger than I thought they would be, healthy, packaged nicely.

I checked the invoice which showed the product plus a $4 handling fee, which I thought was cheap for shipping but when I checked my bank account there was a separate charge of $13 for shipping, which sounds about right for an overnight package. I donít remember seeing and extra $4 in handling when I ordered online, but Iím confident it was not mentioned it during our phone calls. Never paid a handling fee when ordering plants and it really wouldn't have been an issue had it been disclosed. (full disclosure: I did not call them to ďcomplainĒ about this)

Would I order from Joy Creek again? Yes, they are pleasant and have a nice product but I think itís important to know about an extra $4 handling fee and that I may need to keep on them to get what I ordered.
Positive DebbieTeashon
Kingston, WA
February 2, 2013
I have been a customer of Joy Creek for over 10 years now. Their plants are healthy and they are a "joy" to work with. I have traveled over 3 hours to go shopping at their nursery in the spring as well as use their mail order service. When I travel to Portland, I try to make time to visit them. Their well-grown clematis and hardy fuchsia selections (and other plants) are fantastic! If you are in the area, be sure to visit their beautiful gardens.
Positive BvrCtyGardener
Monaca, PA
July 15, 2012
The five Dianthus Simulans I ordered arrived in excellent condition. They're still doing well despite our heat wave and drought conditions, and have gotten comments from the postman to the landscaper. Thank you for such healthy, unusual and attractive little plants!
Negative SLee000
SEWELL, NJ
July 13, 2012
Poor Customer service. Purchased 10 plants from Joy Creek Nursery less than a year, 8 plants managed to survive. We called Customer service for replacements since we followed their planting instructions to the T. They tried to blamed us for not taking care the plants and no resolution was offered. We will never do business with them again. Better stick with your local nursery.
Company representative comment on November 29, 2012:
On Nov 29, 2012 3:50 PM, Joy Creek Nursery responded with:

In the initial conversation with Mr. Lee I asked that he wait another four weeks to see if the two plants in question would break dormancy from last winter. The next we heard was the above review. Mr. Lee's two plants were replaced and he indicated that the issue was resolved to his satisfaction. He then placed an order for six additional plants of the same variety, which were shipped to him.

On Nov 29, 2012 3:51 PM, Joy Creek Nursery added:

Positive LeoColorado
Longmont, CO
July 11, 2012
Wanted to try something unusual, so chose arisaema tortuosum, since it is from Himalayas, and we are in the Front Range. Thought there'd be some similarity in wintering, etc. Arrived dormant, very well packed for shipping. Called for planting instructions, got enthusiastic response including habitat information which surprisingly varied greatly from our climate's norm, and suggestions for compensation so we could enjoy our new plant and give it a happy home. Also referenced their informational website for further data. The plant shot up like a jet! Testimony to a very healthy and vital root. Surprising and delighting even the postman, as we all watched it morph over a few weeks during this Spring. A 'Wow' experience, and I feel confident what to do to secure its safety and health overwintering. Thank you for a great service, education, and super plant!
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
June 10, 2012
I ordered 5 clematis vines, all arrived in good condition and had very large root systems. They are growing well and sending up new shoots. They only charge for shipping what they get charged (which is great) - they do warn customers that it can be expensive - it was almost half the cost of the plants. Again - not their fault. Good honest company with great plants.
Positive kentstar
Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b)
June 7, 2012
Posted on September 25, 2011, updated June 7, 2012
Posted on April 10, 2011, updated September 25, 2011
Posted on July 21, 2010, updated April 10, 2011
I had read some great things about Joy Creek and thought I'd try them. I had ordered a Sweet Autumn Clematis from another place last year and it looks nothing like it! I probably got the easily confused with virginiana. So, I bought one terniflora clematis (Sweet Autumn clematis) at Joy Creek and all I can say about the plant is Wow! It is the largest paniculata clematis I have ever seen in a pot! :) And, definitely looks like a terniflora clematis and not the virginiana.
Quick shipping, and healthy plant! Thankyou!
On April 10th, 2011, kentstar added the following:

Madame Julia Correvon clematis came just as expected and chock full of nice big roots! Thankyou again! You guys are the best!
On September 25th, 2011, kentstar added the following:

An update on my Sweet Autumn clematis and Madame Julia Correvon...
Sweet Autumn did NOT disappoint! Awesome, it grew about 30 ft in the one season it's been in the ground! Beautiful and very vigorous! The flowers had a honey-like fragrance too :) Thankyou!
Madame Julia Correvon did not disappoint either! I have her in a whiskey barrel with a smaller umbrella trellis for this season and she climbed up the trellis and back over somewhat, but her blooms were awesome! True to form and color, and she did very well for her first season with me.
Best place to buy clematis thus far!
On June 7th, 2012, kentstar added the following:

Best site for clematis in the country! I bought Huldine and Etoile Violette clematis and both are doing exceptionally well! Large rootsystems (thick roots that I had to untangle they were so large!) :) They both are growing very well in their spots now! I am keeping them pinched back for now until they can establish their root systems, but they just want to keep going up, up, up! :)

Awesome company, quick and accurate shipping, as well as great clems. Need I say more!
Positive grik
Saint Paul, MN
May 23, 2012
I ordered a Clematis tangutica 'Lambton Park'

The order was confirmed 5/5 and arrived on 5/23. They kept me well informed as to when to expect it - timing was fine. The plant is healthy and I expect big things soon :)
Positive jnhayes
Atlanta, GA
May 16, 2012
I ordered several varieties of lavender from Joy Creek late last year. The plants came in a very timely fashion and I was very happy with them. One of them didn't make it, and they replaced quickly. Can't go wrong with these people.
Positive funfkatz
Menasha, WI
April 7, 2012
I ordered a Rhapsody clematis from Joy Creek last fall, and was extremely impressed with the quality of the root growth and with the overall vigor of the plant they sent, and as well by the knowledge and courtesy of their staff. The growth this plant has shown already this spring is outstanding!
Positive Annetten
Granbury, TX
March 29, 2012
Posted on March 28, 2012, updated March 29, 2012
I ordered 2 Diana Hibiscuses from Joy Creek Nursery and paid $10.50 for each plus $4.00 handling plus shipping. For $33.00 I received plants that were 2 inches tall!!! I measured them. They don't tell you what size plants you are to receive so I was very surprised and unhappy.
Annette Nelson
Granbury, Texas
On March 29th, 2012, Annetten changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Mike from Joy Creek Nursery has emailed me with an apology for the size of the Hibiscus Diana plants that were sent to me. He said they will refund the money paid, plus shipping and handling fees. I am impressed that the customer service for this company is so wonderful. I would probably order from them again.
Positive crazy_for_abies
Fresno, CA
February 29, 2012
Ordered six plants from Joy Creek because they had dianthus simulans that is very hard to find. Every plant I ordered arrived on the day I requested and were well packaged and in good condition. The prices were very fair as well. I recommend this nursery.
Positive k2cedarcity
Dayton, NV (Zone 5b)
June 2, 2011
Plants and customer service beyond compare. Packing was excellent. I had one plant that I emailed Connie about and she responded with an almost immediate response. They stand behind their product and should be in the Top 30!
Positive mad4roses
Georgetown, TX (Zone 8a)
April 14, 2011
Received healthy, bushy plants with good roots. The plants were packed perfectly into the box so they didn't budge during shipping and no one lost any foliage. They called when the plants were ready to ship to make sure I was ok with the shipping charges and to inform me that I could go with USPS if I wanted to save a few dollars. That was very considerate of them, even though I did go with UPS as it is has been quite warm here and I didn't want to risk a delay in delivery. I would definitely order from them again without hesitation.
Positive TxGrandviewCN
Grandview, TX (Zone 8b)
April 1, 2011
Best clematis ever shipped to me! One gallon plant, roots roots roots. Packaging was perfect, plant arrived a though they hand delivered it themselves. I'll be telling 10 friends who will 10 ten friends ... Shipping and handling a little high but after receiving the plant it was well worth it.
Negative jpgreen
Roswell, NM (Zone 7a)
February 4, 2011
Ordered once and recieved rotten plants, after dealing with not so great customer service finally got them replaced with half-rotten plants. Managed to save them and will never do business with them again.

Company representative comment on February 7, 2011:
On Feb 7, 2011 1:01 PM, Joy Creek Nursery responded with:

First, I apologize for the problem with your March 2009 plant order. It is our intent to be a responsible business with good customer service and supply healthy plants to our customers. In my separate e-mail to you I am offering you a full refund on your order or replacement plants which either you prefer.
Thank you for letting us know about the problem with the order.

Mike
Joy Creek Nursery

Positive tufe
Newtonville, MA
September 19, 2010
I have ordered from Joy Creek for years and always love their plants. The size is good and they're always healthy. I've had them contact me to say a plant I wanted wasn't doing well that year or seemed sketchy and to ask if I wanted to cancel. Not many companies do that in my experience. Ramona is the most helpful person ever and always remembers me. When I go to Oregon, I sometimes get to stop off at the nursery and it's beautiful.
Neutral Chantell
Middle of, VA (Zone 7a)
July 3, 2010
I didn't mind paying $18 per Clematis so much, given the great reviews discussing the health and size of plants received but I have to be honest the shipping is a killer if you're on the east coast. 3 Clematis ran me $35.20 PLUS the handling fee of $4 -- this on a $54.00 order...mercy!! Kudos to Joy Creek for the careful packing for sure...but again...I'd have been satisfied with the plants being pruned another 1/2"-1" and put into a Lg Flat Rate USPS Priority mail box that would've run $13.95 and if that wouldn't have been in the plant's best interest then regular priority mail which for this weight and these zip codes would've run $28.59 if (as most businesses do) done online. Please note that I did verify on the UPS site, Joy Creek is not over charging. It's just, for me at least, a big hunk of $$ to pay for the shipping of 3 plants. And as mentioned by someone else you have no idea when placing the order what shipping is going to run. Sadly I'll be sticking w/vendors from Texas east and/or those using the more affordable USPS.
Positive Samtpfote
Gresham, OR (Zone 8a)
June 15, 2010
I stumbled across this nursery while searching for hardy fuchsia's with double flowers. I could not find them in any of my surounding nurseries. Since I live in Gresham (OR) I was debating if I should order online or drive (since it is an 80 miles round trip). I decided to drive and I am glad I did. This is a beautiful nursery. The staff was very helpful and friendly and caring for their customers. Not like other nurseries where I had to run around for 15 minutes to find somebody to help me and even then they had no clue about their own flowers.
Now I finally have my Double Otto, Annabel, Lena Dalton and Yonder Blue. And I also found another favorite of mine "Toad Lilies"!!!!!
Seeing how they operate their nursery I would definitly feel comfortable ordering online as well.
Positive sdube60
Charlton, MA
May 12, 2010
Extremely large, healthy balloon flower (platycodon Hakone Blue Double.) Plants arrived in perfect condition from Oregon to Massachusetts. Great comunication and pleasure to deal with.
Positive omasuziq
Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a)
May 5, 2010
I had not ordered from Joy Creek before but they had both the Knautia and Penstemon varieties I wanted. Shame on me for not having read more closely about their shipping policy. The plants arrived out of their pots with roots in plastics bags (to reduce shipping costs/recycling) but all did well once moved to peat pots awaiting final planting. And are now doing well in the garden. I recommend this firm.
Positive Sharkey
Marianna, FL (Zone 8b)
August 4, 2009
Several weeks ago, I ordered two clematis vines from Joy Creek. I was so pleased with every aspect of my experience with them that I ordered two more to arrive this week. The root systems on the vines were awesome, the entire staff I spoke with were extremely friendly and knowledgable, and the service was fantastic. Maurice took a lot of time on the phone with me in answering all of my questions relating to planting the vines. He even suggested varieties that might do well in my area. I will definitely order from them again in the future.