The scoop on 'Kartuz Greenhouses'

Kartuz Greenhouses

Vista, California 92085-0790 (United States)

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM
October 31, 2013
I've ordered several times from this company while living in Southern California and have always been very pleased with the plants. However, this time I am especially pleased since these three plants I just ordered arrived within two days of their mailing. Very hard to find, phymosia umbellata which I originally grew in Ca before we moved and longed to obtain since then. Well, I finally found them at Kartuz and they sent them with buds on them ready to bloom soon. I couldn't be happier and I will place another order in spring for a few other plants. I didn't realize that I have not left a rating before this and they truly deserve to be recognized for their great packing, fast shipping and great selection of plants.
Antoinette Hague
Positive ndbcstein22
Ocala, FL
October 13, 2012
I received 3 Bower Vine plants yesterday. They were packed wonderfully. I haven't had this experience with other mail order plant companies, so I was very happy from the gitgo. To me, they were a little pricey, but the plants are much more than I expected and in such good health, I will be ordering again ! Thank you for the quality and the care you put into my order !
Positive Eclipse
Norwalk, IA (Zone 5b)
September 22, 2012
I just ordered a box of different hibiscus and tropicals.They came in less than a week, I was emailed the day they were shipped.The plants were great for the size and price range.I'm very happy. I have deal't with Kartuz since the late 70's and always get great service.

Kyle :-)
Positive hannah82
Brea, CA
June 12, 2012
Posted on May 19, 2011, updated June 12, 2012
I received a shipment of cane and shrub-type begonias from Kartuz and was extremely impressed at the quality of plants AND intense care put into packaging them. It was one of the few instances where someone else's anal retentiveness actually ended up benefiting me! The plants were stocky and appear to be in good health with no apparent signs of bruising or damage from shipping. I will be doing business with this company again.
On June 12th, 2012, hannah82 added the following:

I was thrilled to receive another shipment of begonias from Kartuz today. As usual, all the plants were healthy, undamaged and carefully packaged with a generous insulating layer of styrofoam peanuts. Also, since the company notified me via email the day they sent it out in the mail, I was able roughly estimate it's arrival (in my case, the following day). So far Kartuz rates A+ in my book! If you are curious, here is a link to a couple of pictures of what the plants looked like when they arrived:

Positive Patricia_CR
Grecia, Alajuela
Costa Rica
April 22, 2012
This company really knows what customer service and high quality is all about. From the very first time I contacted them, they were willing to go an extra mile to satisfy my particular needs. At all times (quite a few), they were courteous and prompt to reply, before and after placing the order. The big box of plants arrived on time, in excellent conditions, great packaging, and the plants -as healthy and beautiful as they can be. It was a pleasure to deal with them.
Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
April 6, 2012
How refreshing it is to find a privately owned nursery business that provides healthy plants, good value and proper care in packing so that they arrive without all the dirt in the bottom of the box. These people have done everything right, twice now. I should have given positive feedback on the first order. But, you know how we are about positive feedback. We get busy and forget to give credit where credit is due unless it's to voice how frustrated or mad we are about something done wrong. I'm sorry for waiting so long to state how pleased I was with everything done right. The plants are nice size and extremely healthy, those that bloomed arrived blooming or just ready to and they were expertly packed. It was just a pleasant and effortless experience all around and I ended up with some really nice plants to boot. This Nursery has definately made my "preferred" list and I will be ordering from them again. Thanks for the lovely plants and the professional service!
Positive mijardin
Seymour, TN
March 24, 2012
I received my 3 brugmansias I ordered. My order was quickly and well shipped and my plants look great! I'll order from this company again. Very pleased.
Positive Toni05
Brookfield, IL
November 16, 2011
Posted on June 27, 2011, updated November 16, 2011
Posted on November 25, 2009, updated June 27, 2011
Posted on May 18, 2006, updated November 25, 2009
Today I received two hibiscus from Kartuz and was surprised by their size and quality. Plus the order came promptly after ordering. I even got an email stating my plants were mailed so I'd be here to get them in case it was too cold. I'll be ordering from Kartuz in the furture. Toni
On November 25th, 2009, Toni05 added the following:

Ordered 4 Hoyas from Kartuz on 11/22/09, shipment arrived today, 11/25/09.
Hoyas are beautiful, healthy, and pest-free. Kartuz sells lovely plants, but are sold fast..:)
Which actually is a positive, meaning customers are so happy with their plants, they return to to purchase more. Toni

On June 27th, 2011, Toni05 added the following:

Ordered two Beautiful, Vista Quest, Begonias. Much larger than expected, well-rooted and pest-free.

Plants were securely-wrapped, shipping fast. Toni
On November 16th, 2011, Toni05 added the following:

Received three healthy, good-sized plants.
B. luxurians, Impatiens and Hoya.

All plants are healthy, and pest-free.

Plants were securely-wrapped, and very fast shipping.

Kartuz has great selections.
Negative Saker
Colonial Park, PA (Zone 6b)
July 15, 2011
Wish it wasn't so, but I have to post negative. I bought 2 Brugmansia's Only 1 has lived. Let me explain why I feel the need to post as negative.
I placed the order 6/30, no problem. $12.00 for 2 day shipping. Did not see anything mentioned on the order pages about there being any tracking numbers, though these days I believe there should be, or at the least a option. I inquired (email) if there would be any tracking number (never received a response to that).
7/5 receive a email saying my order had shipped, nothing else no response to my question, and no tracking info.
7/8 (friday) still hadn't arrived, I emailed again asking for a tracking number as I was getting concerned. No response. It arrived finally Monday 7/11
Nicely packed yes, 1 plant had leaves, though yellow and wilted, other plant had only a couple very small ones to begin with (now fallen off dead in the packaging), neither very big plants. The one that had the wilted leaves has perked up and tentatively will survive the other is obviously completely dead (I have followed their included instructions), the stem is discoloring more day by day, and has no leaves or any buds where leaves might form.
I know they're not a large organization or anything but having been the entire customer service department myself for a small (and busy) internet retail startup I know it's possible to have alot better customer service then this. The box did have a tracking number on it that should have just plain been sent.
I was so excited about getting 2 more Brugmansias to add to the 1 I already have. This has been a disappointing experience. I will have to look for some other source for another "brug" or 2 (3)
Positive mpabbott1
(Mary) Poway, CA (Zone 10a)
May 8, 2011
Posted on April 11, 2007, updated May 8, 2011
I live close enough that I was able to go there in person. Got nice plants at a fair price. He was very helpful.
On May 8th, 2011, mpabbott1 added the following:

Have also recently ordered Iochroma by mail. They all arrived in good condition and 2 of them have bloomed in the short time that I've had them.
Positive cicada
Brownsville, KY (Zone 6a)
May 6, 2011
I am very pleased with the hoyas that I received today as a Mother's Day gift from my daughter. The plants were carefully packed and arrived in great shape. All are well rooted, healthy, and showing signs of new growth.
Positive melody
Benton, KY (Zone 7a)
April 22, 2011
Good communication with the company. Prompt shipping of lovingly packed plants. I am extremely satisfied with my experience and will no doubt be a return customer.
Positive Plantmum6
American Canyon, CA (Zone 9a)
April 2, 2011
I ordered about 10 plants that I couldn't find locally (and I work at a large nursery). The plants arrived, within a week, and well packaged showing no stress from shipping. The plants are small, being in 2.5 inch pots BUT well proportioned, large even for this size pot, and well rooted. The plants were all in tip top health and I KNOW they will grow great, unless I do something careless myself. I am a very happy customer who is looking forward to ordering again!
Positive sanguinelli
Spring Valley, CA
March 18, 2011
I ordered 5 plants from Kartuz last week, 3 begonias, a brugmansia and a plectranthus. All were in perfect shape and ready to be potted up. The plectranthus had a good size caudex and was in bloom. Shipping was quick and no plants were damaged. Will definitely order again.
Negative intcw
Holmdel, NJ
March 8, 2011
I placed an order of four plants(Sinningias) from this company and two of them were barely seedlings. The other two were O.K. When I called to inform them, the person in charge(Michael), curtly informed me that I needed to wait for the plants to grow. If I had wanted to do that I could have purchased some seeds and started them myself.

I was asked to send an email requesting a refund, for which I got no response. When I called again, I was told to ship the plants back at my expense to get the refund and then he hung up on me. I called again and then he said he would send me similar replacements and hung up on me again. I am not hopeful of getting anything from this company and hence the complaint.
Positive jamiew
Montgomery, AL
June 15, 2010
Posted on May 31, 2010, updated June 15, 2010
I've placed several orders over the past year for alsobias and episcias. The plants all came well rooted in 2 1/2 inch containers, some with blooms. They were well wrapped and secured in the shipping boxes. All specimens have survived and thrived. Kartuz is now my favorite source for gesneriads!
On June 15th, 2010, jamiew added the following:

I just received another order last week of a gorgeous, large alsobia cygnet, 3 kohlerias, 3 codonanthe and X codonatanthus, 3 Nematanthus , a smithiantha and paliavana. All plants were in excellent condition and nice specimens. My only complaint was that one of the nematanthus was not labeled. I double checked the box, wrapping papers, tapes, floor and other plants and the tag was not to be found. I emailed the company last week but have not gotten a reply. I'll keep you posted. I hope I'm not in for a disappointment.
Positive ssssssss
Kechi, KS
April 23, 2010
Good company and beautiful healthy plants. They are not the fastest in delivery but as I understand it is a very busy mostly mail order nursery. The plants are worth waiting for and I look forward to every order. They have some fairly hard to find stock and the place is worth giving it a try.
Positive flgweedo
Ocala, FL
May 16, 2009
Placed an order late last month and I received it today. Order was expertly packed and the plants were in great shape. I found them online while searching for Plumbago "Royal Blue" and decided to give them a try as I can't seem to find this plant here in FL. Glad I did! I'll definitely order from the again as I'm always in the market for new and interesting plants along with great customer service.
Positive balberth
(Zone 9a)
May 3, 2009
Placed an order last month, and promptly received a box ... containing somebody else's order. Never seen that one before, but I can totally understand how this could happen.

After trying to phone them ( they say on their website that their phone hours are limited on shipping days ) I sent them an e-mail which was replied to promptly, apologies were made, and re-shipment was promised. I received my correct order promptly, and they let me keep the mistakenly shipped plants.

The plants I ordered were healthy and very securely shipped - some were rather small starts, but no smaller than would be expected from other vendors, and all quite well established.

I was pleased with me experience and will order from Kartuz again. They carry a lot of hard to find items, particularly some more highland tropicals and gesneriads.
Positive PabloVerde
Canton, GA
April 29, 2009
Great experience. Their web site was easy to browse and provides good information and pictures on each plant. Ordering was easy and a very clear confirmation by e-mail was provided.

Receiving the plants took some time (about 4 weeks following the day of my order), but this is clearly spelled out both before ordering and in the order confirmation.

My order of 10 plants arrived very well packed without a single damaged leaf (not an easy task with begonias!). Nice plants. Will definitely order from them again.

Positive timbers
Vallejo, CA
April 24, 2009
I received three large healthy clivia plants today. I would definitely order from this company again.
Positive Weavingator
Micanopy, FL
April 9, 2009
I placed an order with Kartuz Gardens (the first time I have ordered from them) on March 24 - I ordered 13 plants, a selection of members of the shimp family, angel trumpet and others. Tuesday, I received an e-mail that said that my order had been shipped. My mailman delivered it today - Thursday. When I opened the box the copy of my order and instructions on how to care for the plants were right on top. The plants in pots were taped across the top of the pot and the pots were taped to the box and filled with shipping peanuts were they could and would not shift. The plants arrived very healthy with no broken limbs. I am very impressed with their shipping and packing. I will be placing other orders with Kartuz in the future.
Positive susan727
Culpeper, VA
March 27, 2009
I ordered 2 hoyas and 1 cane begonia. They came within a week, looked good and healthy. I will order again when they get some new stock in.

Susan
Positive sheilasouth
Osage, IA
March 19, 2009
I have been pleased with Kartuz..my orders have always consisted of Hoyas...I though they seemed to be a fair company & the plants are doing great 4 years later. I just ordered some more this year & I like it that they let me know when they sent the order out, because our temps can still get pretty low @ night. If they set overnight in the mailbox, they would surely die, and I have had a previous vendor of African Violets (Rob's Violets @ The Violet Barn) get very upset & argumentative with me when the plants died because of cold weather. I won't deal with Rob's again, but I will return to Kartuz again. Nice company..pleasant people that WANT to keep their customers happy.
Positive leahrenee1
Orlando, FL
February 27, 2009
This was my first order, but I was sent an email telling me when my plants were shipped and they arrived in a timely fashion. I was very impressed with the packing. The plants were very healthy and seemed to be no worse for wear from their trip.

I did send an email in regards to a note that was written on my packing slip and it was answered right away.

I had great service and will order again.
Positive stplong
Huber Heights , OH (Zone 5b)
October 30, 2008
We ordered for the first time from Kartuz and are extremely satisfied, the plants looked great and the shipping was very fast. They have a great selection that is hard to find elsewhere. We will be ordering more in the future. Just wanted to thank Kartuz for their great service.
Positive sammiebritt
Deltona, FL
September 10, 2008
i have dealt with this company for many years. it is one of my favorites. the plants are always well rooted. they offer so many great rarities!!
Positive bussardnr
Woodsboro, MD
September 8, 2008
Good plants, packing and fast shipping. What else could you want
Positive Gardening_Jim
Vancouver, WA
September 1, 2008
I ordered a few cestrum and cleodendrums. All the plants but one were of good size and quality. They lowered the price of the small plant. They have a great selection of begonias that I will order from them next spring.
Positive markrs
Sunnyvale, CA
August 17, 2008
Although this is supposed to be primarily about ordering by mail, since others have given sharply conflicting reports about visiting I figured I would add my own.

I've visited several times over the years--although not terribly recently, so some of this may be out of date. You have to call in advance as described--hopefully someone can be around or arrange to be around (this was never a problem for me). For those who are visiting San Diego, it's definitely worth a trip, although it is a bit of a drive. There are other nurseries in the area--I know in Vista itself Grigsby Cactus, Rainbow Gardens (now closed) were all part of my trips. I'm sure they could tell you of others in the area.

I think I only ever spoke with Mike Kartuz on my visits. He would let you on your own, so that you had to locate him if you had a question or were curious about a price. At least back then, he seemed to make up the prices off the top of his head (they were cheaper than the catalog). Kartuz is very friendly and helpful.

The growing areas as I remember are sort of mildly chaotic. Certainly they are not set up as a retail store, which the place isn't. Instead it's the sort of place where you can spend a while poking around, seeing things that might interest you. If you are looking for something in particular, you might have to ask; if you want a price you might have to ask. At least that's the situation I remember. Some may be bothered by this, some not. I didn't find it a problem.

I always had fun on my trips there and left with a few surprises. More recently I have had questions about plants I bought there years ago (or even plants from elsewhere) and they have been helpful.

You get the sense that they do it because they enjoy it, not to make money (although I certainly hope they are very profitable). Mike Kartuz is a nice guy and I understand he has been extremely well-respected in the horticultural community for many years. A good combination.
Positive dbsmith2
Amsterdam, NY (Zone 5a)
August 13, 2008
After drooling over their begonias for a few years, I finally decided to order. Most of my first choices were sold out, but I called the nursery and was told to put my wish list in the comment section. I was pleasantly surprised to get several from that list, plus all the available ones that I had ordered. Shipping was reasonable, but the plant prices were a bit high. The selection cannot be beat, and that, in the end, is what I am paying for. The plants ranged from small to large, but all were healthy and are growing nicely. I look forward to another order.
Positive sm94109
San Francisco, CA
June 27, 2008
Impressive stock of exotic plants. Excellent customer service. Small issue with shipment was handled professionaly. I would buy from them again, as well as recommend them to my friends.
Positive Jeelli
Bristol, CT
June 10, 2008
Kartuz was great to do business with- they only charged me when they shipped, everything was packed well, and all of my Jasmine arrived in healthy condition. I will do business with them again!!!
Positive BittersweetFrm
Granville, OH (Zone 6a)
June 6, 2008
I ordered four begonias, just a few days ago. They arrived very quickly, in excellent condition. They were beautifully and carefully packaged. I'll order from them again, with no hesitation.
Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
May 23, 2008
Received order today and I am thrilled with the plants - very well packed - great condition and excellent sizes!

Positive Pillita
Keystone Heights, FL (Zone 8b)
May 7, 2008
The three plants I ordered were small, but two (Paraguay Nightshade and Red Cestrum) were blooming when they arrived and have grown tremendously since then. For the third plant (Copperleaf), they sent two plants for the price of one because it was small. The smallest of these, unfortunately, didn't make it, but I'm not certain that I planted them in the right spot. I would definitely order from them again.
Positive PamelaQ
Navarre, FL (Zone 8b)
February 29, 2008
Yesterday I received 6 plants I had ordered within the last couple of weeks. I received an email informing me when they had shipped.
The plants arrived well packaged in shredded newspaper and taped in place to the box. The dirt in the pots was also covered with shredded paper and taped down to the pot seperately, so no dirt was anywhere in the box. It all stayed where it should. Very good packing. The plants were in excellent shape and look very healthy. Some have little flower buds.
I would order from 'Kartuz' again.
Neutral JuliaSF
San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a)
February 27, 2008
The packaging was the best I've seen in a plant mail order company...no complaints there. However, the 2 of the hoyas I ordered were tiny (smaller than I've rec'd at other vendors. The 3rd, H. meredithii, was bigger. Mixed feelings. The prices weren't great for the tiny plants rec'd. Will not order from this vendor again.
Positive kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR (Zone 7b)
February 7, 2008
I have ordered from this company several times in the past couple years. They have always answered their emails promptly for me, was kind and courteous and helpful. Sent decent sized plants. I was pleased with the over all service of this company. sometimes it may take a bit longer to receive your plants, but i've always emailed them first and asked when they were going to be shipped , they told me and they always arrived when they said they were going to arrive. Thanks for your great service. I'll continue to come back.
Positive love_passiflora
Vacaville, CA
January 12, 2008
I just recieved my order yesterday and was pleased to see everything was happy, healthy and packaged with loving care. I typically don't order mail order plants this time of year due to the risks of a winter chill, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to add a new and unusual vine to my collection! I had never even heard of Camptosema before visiting their site. I really appreciated the email notification letting me know when my plants had shipped out.

This was my first purchase with Kartuz and was very pleased with the quality of the plants for a mail order company and the interesting selection that they have available. I will be doing business again with them in the future.