The scoop on 'Reimer Seeds'

Reimer Seeds

Mount Holly, North Carolina 28120 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive rosepetal2
Danvers, MA
August 20, 2014
I searched the web for Big Mama and Super Sauce tomato seeds and found Reimer Seeds. I visited their site, ordered 5 seed varieties and then happened to find the "Scoop" in Dave's Garden for Reimers. My experience was very positive. Their site was easy to navigate and purchase on secure shopping cart. The seeds were send in bubble pack USPS First class and arrived within several days of purchase - they are in Maryland and I'm in Massachusetts. The seeds were in neat packages, ample count and I have every expectation of germination this next Spring. I order lots online and grow my entire garden from seed. I sometimes wonder if the negatives posted on Dave's Garden are from novice gardeners who maybe have unrealistic expectations or maybe even lack of experience in growing from seed. My experience was very positive and I would not hesitate in ordering from Reimers Seed again.
Neutral MarkN1
Fredericksburg, TX
January 22, 2014
Posted on January 18, 2014, updated January 22, 2014
Morning of Friday, January 17, 2014, I placed an order of 5 packs of vegetable seeds. Paid via VISA because the PayPal option would not take. Hmmmm..... PayPal is my preferred method as it offers the strongest protection against fraudalent companies, those who turn their nose up at good customer service and SATISFACTION. 30 minutes later I forgot a pak of seeds so when I went back for an UPDATE to add the pack of seeds I ended up with TWO orders and two charges to VISA as indicated via email. The processing timing of my order was for regular "snail" service, NOT "expedited" (which costs more). I am in no hurry, it's the dead of winter here.

Smelling something fishy and worried that they'd hit me twice I emailed them to cancel the order(s) that afternoon at 2:51 p.m., in plenty of time to accommodate me before shipping it out next week. Today, 24 hours later, Saturday January 18, 2014 at 11:19 a.m. (when supposedly they're closed) I get this email that my order has shipped, this against their Terms and Conditions -shipping policy - "Non-Expedited Orders take an average of 3-10 business days (not including Saturdays and Sundays) to leave our warehouse, but it can be a week longer because of the high number of orders this season." Right......

I get it and should have known, they can have it both ways....by shipping VERY quickly they pulled a fast one on me with the charges, against their very own policy no less - "Once the order is shipped, you can't cancel the order, nor can you refuse shipment. You can only cancel an order before it is shipped!" Again, I tried promptly to cancel the order via email, their ONLY method of communication. ( the SightMax option was mysteriously "down".)

These guys are really good at their scammer fun and games! I'll will take this matter further if need be. It's not that I need the money.....it's the principle of right and wrong. I don't like to be hurt and I don't wish it on anyone either. You've been warned!

I will edit my rating if they come to their senses and do right by me.
On January 22nd, 2014, MarkN1 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Refund received. Changing from Neg. to Neutral. Will not order from them again however.
Positive HNemerov
Bastrop, TX
September 19, 2013
Being a little anal, I decided to really vet this company before adding this review, since there were so many negative reviews posted.

I ordered about $35 worth of seeds, and upgraded to priority shipping. Reimer added $50 of insurance because of my upgraded shipping, something they usually charge extra for. I didnít pay for expedited order processing, because I ordered in the fall, a slow time for seed houses. The seeds arrived 3 business days later (ordered on Friday, received on Wednesday).

I counted seeds from each packet. Packets were advertised an labeled as containing either 20 or 50 seeds, depending on variety. Generally hybrid seeds of tomato and broccoli are in the 20 range, open pollinated in the 50 range. However, all seed packets contained far more seeds than advertised. Tomato/Sanibel, a hybrid, was at the low end of 60% more seeds (32 total). Chinese Cabbage/Michihili was at the high end with over 9 times the advertised amount of 50 seeds. Maybe itís because this is the end of the season, but all packets are labeled for the 2014 season.

Iíve planted 4 varieties so far, and germination is within acceptable limits. I start seeds in homemade peat-lite (4 parts peat, 3 parts vermiculite, 1 part perlite) with blood meal, bone meal, and greensand added). Seeds start inside under fluorescent lights, with bottom heat when appropriate. I find this controlled environment far superior to planting in ground in nearly all cases. This runs counter to Reimer's recommendation.

Iíll likely update this review as I complete more research.

For example, viability to me is how many seedlings survive transplant and grow into healthy plants. Anybody can place seeds in a moist paper towel and determine germination rates, but some seeds do not develop healthy cotyledons and never survive more than a week beyond simple germination. So for now, I give Reimer a positive review, based upon service and initial viability testing.
Negative Ukiahwine
Ukiah, CA
July 29, 2013
I puchased seeds from this company this year, mainly because they seemed to be the one supplier that offered all three seeds that I wanted, for one shipment. Unfortunately, neither of the tomato varieties I ordered were what I received. Yes, the packages indicated they were what I ordered. But the tomatoes growing on the plants tell a different story. Instead of Japanese Black Trifeles, which I planted for a special project, I see some indescript small red slicing tomato instead. And the packet of Green Zebras is producing a hard red strangely shaped pear tomato. At least the Padron pepper seeds turned out to be Padron peppers. This is the first time I have experienced a situation like this from a seed company. Will never order from Reimer Seeds again. Wasted an entire season on tomatoes I did not want and have to wait until next to complete my project.
Negative Sharon4B
Molalla, OR
May 15, 2013
I placed an order with Reimer Seeds in March. I received an order confirmation and my credit card was billed correctly; the company then refused to send my order. My address wasn't in the data base that they use. The address was correct and I'd been receiving my mail there for some time but, even after many emails and a phone conversation, they continued to refuse to mail the order. I went to my local postmaster and obtained a letter confirming the validity of the address; I sent a copy of the letter and an image of the plat map showing the address to them. No joy. No one at Reimer Seeds was willing to take the trouble to write an address on an envelope.
The billing address for my credit card was that same objectionable address but they didn't object to it in that context - they had no trouble at all getting the money (which WAS eventually credited back). There are lots of seed companies out there - I will certainly never attempt to order from Reimer again.
Positive HotTamale
Lakeview, WA
February 12, 2013
Posted on February 12, 2013, updated February 12, 2013
Geez! First about Dave's Garden! It took FOREVER to figure out how to register and post feedback... Gawd! Make it simpler Dave! I will be as concise and as complete as possible. I love to write, so, here goes...

I almost didn't buy from Reimer's Seeds after seeing and reading most of the negative reviews. One of the negative reviews was far too insightful in an uncomfortable way. It sounded like a personal attack and I didn't like that. Like a family member with a vendetta.

The review stated the this Reimer guy lives with his mother. How does the reviewer know this? Isn't it commendable that he is taking care of his elderly mother? Is she ill, bed-ridden? We take care of my father-in-law as he is elderly. Living with your parent and taking care of him or her would be a good thing - don't you think? Better than putting her in a nursing home because of age or illness as many people do. Perhaps that is why he doesn't have phone service. Can you imagine the phone ringing off the wall all day, upsetting your elderly family member?

If he has hired hands, perhaps they are 'special needs' hired hands... like one of my older nephews. I'm so glad that he has a job as a bagger at the grocery store - probably 'his' career for the rest of his life. It's not much, but it gives him a sense of purpose. Perhaps the Reimer's hired hands lack phone etiquette? Based off of many of the negative responses, it would seem email etiquette is lacking as well. There are many doctors, lawyers, and professors that I work with who lack etiquette. :)

Okay. Now about my two experiences with Reimer's Seeds. First, I love their website! It is bright, colourful, and my family found it a delight to navigate through. It became a family event as we chose our seeds.

And we LOVE the little characters. The Lady Bug; The Grasshopper and the Tomato; The Ant Carrying the Pepper; The Black Crow, Spider, & Pumpkin; The Ants and the Watermelon!; and the Herb Garden with the Bee! Whoever came up with these happy little icons did a great job and put a smile on my children's faces - mine, too!

It was very easy for me to find what I was looking for, along with the many items I did not know existed. To begin with, there is the left-hand column labeled 'Categories'. We can be at the Hot Peppers (my husband's favourite) and then at the bottom of the page - click on the Tomato icon and off 'I' went to Tomato Land! :)

The kids loved the Giant Pumpkins and Goose Bumps Pumpkins! It was FUN for the whole family!!! I swear we spent about an hour on that website! "Go back to this one, Mom!" and "Let's see that one now!" "Dad, look at this Cotton! Can we grow COTTON!?!" :)

Want to get back to the home page? Just click that cute little Lady Bug in the upper left corner.

My new favourite - 'Fun Things To Grow'. The Baby Eggplants and Batwing Pumpkins! Various Cottons and Bushel Gourds! The Olive Tree and Green Tea Tree! Looks like we will be making our own Green Tea... :)

Now... regarding Grampy and TOBACCO... My family is not a smoking family, yet my father-In-Law does smoke -- OUTSIDE and a good distance from the house - we made him a little shack to relax in. Grampy is now going to try growing his own tobacco and plans to save HUNDREDS of $$$ by rolling his own. ;) Looks like he will need to rent a field to grow as much as he smokes!

That reviewer also mentioned something about cold storage and possible damage to seeds. I emailed Reimer's Seeds and expressed my concerns of that reviewer's negative response prior to placing my order. This was late Autumn and I had plenty of time to order those seeds and wanted to be sure that I would have a successful experience.

He said he hardly ever responds, but since I wrote such a nice letter - he felt compelled to respond. I learned that they have ISO Containers, along with a two-story temperature-controlled building for seed storage of thousands of seeds. And, not only do they get my husband's pepper seeds from various countries, they also grow many varieties of peppers, harvest the seeds, store them, then sell, package, and send them to the customers.

Mr. Reimer wrote that it is very important that I follow the instructions and do not use peat pots or such as they can dry out the seeds and inhibit germination. He said he tested them and found it best to plant in soil. He said to follow the directions regarding the best soil to plant in and be very careful on using additives in the soil as additives can burn the plants, especially the seedlings. He said it is very important to water at the right time as watering at the wrong time of day or over-watering can hamper a successful outcome.

Starting in the greenhouse, I have found, is beneficial. I have a small one from Fred Meyer comprised of green PVC tubing and a clear/green plastic tarp-like covering with a zip door and roll-up windows for aeration. My kids often play in the green-house and that prompts discipline. :)

My purchasing experience went surprisingly well. I did not expedite my order and payed via PayPal. An easy experience for me.

I received my order six days later, and that included the long holiday weekend. So, I ordered them on Thursday and got them the following Wednesday. Had Monday not been the holiday, I would have received them on Tuesday for sure.

For my experience, I did receive all that I ordered with a few extra seeds in each packet. I also received, much to my delight, an extra bonus packet of beans that I had not ordered. It was sort of like an unexpected Christmas gift. ;) I let the kids plant them and they were joking about Jack-and-the-beanstalk!

I must admit that I purchased the only Novelty Item they have as a Christmas gift for my husband - the Chili Pepper toy that sings, "HOT, HOT, HOT! That toy is HUGE and was an even bigger hit with the kids... but they know its Dad's. :)

Approximately 90% of all the seeds I had planted germinated and did quite well. Even when we had a terrible rain/wind storm that blew all of my seedlings off of the patio table! Most miraculously survived! I just had to try to figure out what seedlings were what plants. NOT EASY!

Watermelon has never done well up here in the Puget Sound, yet 'I' had results. I made sure that the kids and I periodically turned them on the vine in the garden. Father-in-law AKA 'Grampa' helped, too! Small Sugar Babies! They fit in the fridge nicely and were sweet. I had trouble knowing when they were ripe and two were left to over-ripen on the vine. Ooops! My fault! Unfortunately, Sugar Babies are out of stock this year. I'm hoping they'll get some in before my late planting time. Up here in the Northwest, we still get frost throughout April, so May it is... some years, June...

My corn didn't do well the first year, yet that was because it rained and rained. Last year, we had plenty of sunshine and finally received longed-for HEAT! So, my corn did well. :) The kids had a fun time making a scare-crow using the dried stalks for arms and legs. We also took the remaining stalks and bundled them together to decorate the front entrance. So, those corn kernels fed us, gave the kids an artistic challenge with the scare-crows, and rendered free decorations admired by all!

Oh, the first year, I had planted the Dark Green Zucchini Squash and I had SO MUCH, 217 pounds of Zuchinni, most likely due to all of that Northwest rain, that I had to take a lot of the Zucchini over to my neighbors and in to work. They were barbequing thick slices of Zucchini on the grill - we call it Zucchini steaks! Totally awesome!

I'm not finding Veggie Tales this year and am slightly disappointed about that. Maybe Reimer's will still get them. Always fun for the little kids! I'd rather have them playing in the dirt of our small garden, out in the fresh air, than playing XBOX! There's nothing like watching the miracle of life when the seeds sprout up through the earth...

So, my two experiences have been very good. I am sorry to read about so many negative experiences and don't know what to make of it. I almost feel guilty after having favourable experiences myself. I almost didn't purchase here, yet I am now so happy that I did. The variety is amazing and makes our family's gardening experience FUN.

In closing, I do so hope that others have as good an experience as I have had, twice over. I don't know what to say other than we have enjoyed shopping as a family at the Reimer's Seeds website and have had no troubles. Then, again, we are not super gardeners, just family folk growing a garden to save on groceries for a growing family...

On February 12th, 2013, HotTamale added the following:

One comment was that people are less likely to make a positive comment as opposed to those who make negative comments. That is what prompted me to reply.
Positive mrssample
Old River-Winfree, TX
June 21, 2012
Posted on June 7, 2012, updated June 21, 2012
I personally loved everything about dealing with this company! They have the largest selection of seeds I have ever seen, their prices are good, they use Pay Pal which is a big plus, and my entire order arrived in under a week, beautifully packed and nothing missing. Every package of seeds has double or triple the amount of seeds promised. I am beyond impressed with Reimer Seeds. They are probably the only seed company I will ever use in the future. No gimmicks, just real products for a fair price. Love you guys!
On June 21st, 2012, mrssample added the following:

I just don't understand all of these negative comments. I seriously found Reimer seeds to be the most competent of all places I have ordered from. Do you realize they have the lowest prices of all sites I looked at? They can't help what the postage rates are. That is where the high cost comes in. Have you tried to mail anything lately? The postal rates are outrageous. And people saying they didn't get very many seeds, when each packet contains double and triple of the amount you ordered. And seriously, when you let seeds sit for years before you plant them, or you just don't plant them correctly, what do you expect? Don't blame the company because you didn't follow planting guidelines. I do realize sometimes you do everything right and still have bad results. Several peoples comments were fair, from good gardeners. I am just tired of people who don't have anything better to do than sit around and complain. Get off your computer and try putting more effort in to your garden and you might get better results.
Negative katiebear
mulege
Mexico
June 7, 2012
Wish I had checked here before I ordered from them. I got increasingly nasty emails saying that the address I gave them was not in the US Postal bank. I've been using the address for years with no problems. Without my permission, they sent the order to my billing address so now I will have to pay shipping twice. The person is rude and incompetent.
Neutral decherdt
Fort Worth, TX (Zone 8a)
May 22, 2012
I have placed multiple orders with Reimer Seeds in the last 2 years. The quantities are small and the prices are high, but that is up front, not a suprise, my choice to pay more and get everything from one vendor in one shipment. (tomato, peppers, broccoli, onions, cucumbers, melons, corn) Have had good germination rates (5 of 6 ish). I did order a pouch of regular leaf Brandywine seeds but got potato leaf plants from the seeds in the pouch, figured they might invoice me for the difference if I mentioned it. Spreading my orders around more these days.
Negative gomezdamian
Lafayette LA.
United States
May 21, 2012
I feel Iike Reimer seeds ripped me off w 5 seeds in tomato packs, 8 seeds for eggplant and 10 seeds for pumpkin and the list goes on.... I will never buy from these guys again.

Be warned.
Negative RussShermer
Round Rock, TX
April 29, 2012
I purchased seeds from this company in January and started them in covered peat pots (Jiffy) on a South window sill. The following germination rates were obtained:
Fenugreek 30%
Winter Savory 15%
Black Cumin 30%
Black Pepper (Piper Nigrum) 0% (using 20+ seeds)

The germination rates of my seeds from Burpee were 90+% however, they were more common plants (tomatoes and peppers, dill, etc).

I did run into low germination rates with other seeds I have had on hand, but the packets were several years old and left over from previous years' plantings.

I contacted the company twice via email but did not receive a response.
Negative Watneilson
LOS OSOS, CA
March 29, 2012
I placed a $38.75 order for 6 varieties of tomatoes, 2 artichokes, and 1 peanut variety. Shipping was $5.75 for a 10" x 12" padded envelope with 4 oz. of First Class postage. The Sunmaster tomato variety envelope came with 5 seeds. That's $0.80 per seed. After feeling F#$%ed without a kiss. I reviewed them.

They don't look good. I'll email them and ask for another 5 seeds; as well as send another review into Dave's Garden reporting germ% and genetics satisfaction.
Positive wormfood
Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a)
March 8, 2012
I had no problems with this company or their seeds. I think this is my 3rd year ordering.
Negative bstnh1
Farmington, NH
February 16, 2012
I was considering ordering a couple of seeds from Reimer until I read these reviews. I then checked them out with the Better Business Bureau. They have a "D" rating. Plenty of complaints regarding delivery and quality issues and Reimer has failed to respond to BBB requests for info about the company. Guess I'll go back to the reliable sources I usually order from. I don't need problems like this company creates.
Negative mydogcisco
Austin, TX
February 1, 2012
Very expensive and apparently very indifferent to communication from their customers.

1. They offer no way to call them
2. I should have been a little more diligent. They are VERY expensive for you what you get. I paid $5.75 for shipping for four seed packets. I also paid $4.00 for 25 lima bean seeds, when I could have ordered the same variety from burpee...and the listing on burpee's site strangely enough has the VERY SAME photo that Reimer is using.

I think this is a company that victimizes inexperienced seed buyers. They basically purchase bulk seed from others, re-package them and then sell them at a premium to uninformed consumers. They are not in business for their customers nor are they actively engaged in the seed business other than as re-sellers of "product." This is exactly the type of company that damages or at least lessens people's trust in online shopping.

Again...I should have suspected something when they made such a big deal about how they do not have a customer service phone number as "We are an internet based company and correspond via email only!"

At least I only placed a small order.

Buyer beware...they'll get no repeat business from me.

Negative harlekin
ARIVACA, AZ
August 7, 2011
I ordered Spitfire tomato seed last fall and this summer when I grew the tomatoes, they weren't Spitfire. I've grown this variety for over 20 years and because it does so well in our locale, friends and neighbors buy starts from me in the Spring. It didn't take long before they, too, began to notice the difference: the tomatoes don't ripen inside, instead of red they are white and taste crummy. The major selling point of this variety of tomato over the years in catalog descriptions has been that they have a 'red gene', where the inside ripens a bright red. I have emailed Reimer Seed repeatedly. I received no reply. A seed company that sends 'random' seed and doesn't back up its product is pretty useless!
Negative harold196
Esmond, ND
July 19, 2011
I ordered Rutabaga and Cabbage seeds from Remeir seeds after receiving them in the mail about 7/1/2011. I planted them in a well fertilized and tilled row at 1/2 inches deep...
As of 7/19/2011 ABSOLUTLY Nothing... Here in Esmond, ND
We have very good soil and almost everything that I planted was from seed , except all my tomato plants.. All the corn, peppers, squash, cucummbers, beans, pea's, cantalope, watermelon was planted by seed and most everything sprouted within 10 days and are growing like gang busters...
So This tells me that Reimer Seeds in Mt. Holly, NC is selling JUNK SEEDS.. Also Reimer Seeds has no valid phone numbers to contact them, and will not return an email.. So My advise to all.. is to not waste your hard earned cash on worthless seeds... Thank You and have a great day!
Negative lkat
New London, WI
July 12, 2011
Cucumber seeds - NOT ONE seed germinated. Pumpkin seeds: NOT ONE germinated. Japanese giant radish seeds: 4 of about 20 planted germinated. Green peppers: about 50%. Squash: NOT ONE. Some corn and tomatoes and other radishes did (are doing) fine. I just find it unusual that so many did not work. I wish I had seen these reviews before I bought from them.
Negative jeffroky
Brodhead, KY
June 2, 2011
Posted on May 12, 2011, updated June 2, 2011
Posted on April 13, 2011, updated May 12, 2011
It was the only place that had peter pepper seeds in red, orange, & yellow.
So I took a chance and ordered them, knowing the bad reviews they were getting, but hopeful.
Well, not a single seed germinated! and Reimers ignored my complaints!
So I filed a complaint against them with the NC dept of justice consumer protection division.
If you would like to file a complaint against Reimers? here is the link
http//www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/59be4357-41f3-4377-b10f-3e8bd532da5f/Complaint-Form.aspx

On May 12th, 2011, jeffroky added the following:

Here is the ONLY response I have gotten from Reimer,
Just got it today, and it looks like I'm the only person with a problem

Dear Sir,
We need more information to try to determine what may have caused the poor germination you experienced.
Please provide us with the information below, so we can assist you in determining the problem and issue you a refund.

1. What is the Order Number? (Login to Your Account and click Order History for the Order Number)
2. What are the Product Number(s) in question? (Can be found on the Sales Receipt we sent you)
3. What type of pots or containers did you use? Did you use Jiffy Peat Pots, plugs, plastic pots, or other? Or was the seeds planted directly in the garden? Please be specific.
4. What brand and type of potting mix did you use?
5. What depth did you plant the seeds? Please be specific
6. What was the frequency in watering the seeds? (Daily, Every Other Day, Weekly, etc)
7. What was the daytime temperature inside (or outside if started outdoors)?
8. What was the nighttime temperature inside (or outside if started outdoors)?
9. Did you cover the containers with plastic or any other material?
10. What date did you plant the seeds?

Please provide any other information that you think may assist us in determining the problem.
As soon as we receive the information, we will test the seeds to see if we can replicate the problem.
We sold a lot of the variety in question, and no one has reported a problem. We doubt there is a problem, because no one reported a problem, but we will test the seeds to determine if there is a problem with the lot.
If we find a problem after testing, we will issue a refund.
Thank you for contacting us.
Quality Control

On June 2nd, 2011, jeffroky added the following:

Reimer is saying its my fault the seeds never came up because no one else had any trouble. they tested my technique on may 14th, just 2 days after i filled out their little survey and said i did it wrong, I thought it took 7-14 days for pepper seeds to germinate? Oh they did say they might give me a rebate on my next order, Yeah Right! like I'm stupid enough to order from Reimer seeds again.
Neutral margez
, AZ
May 24, 2011
Posted on May 24, 2011, updated May 24, 2011
Posted on May 24, 2011, updated May 24, 2011
I ordered Striped Toga Eggplant from Reimer Seeds. The product description did not say that this was an ornamental. After the seed arrived, I looked at other sites for growing information and learned that this eggplant is very bitter and it was not recommended for consumption.

I sent Reimers an email through their contact us link asking to return the seed and to get something edible instead. I received no response. I did find out that they do not do returns or refunds. I tried to post negative feedback on their site only to have my comment censored. They review all comments and only post the favorable ones.

I would not have ordered this seed if I had known that it was an ornamental. Since Reimers neglected to furnish this information, I feel that they have an obligation to exchange the seed. I certainly will not buy from this company again. This was my first order from Riemers, and it will be my last.
On May 24th, 2011, margez added the following:

Tried calling the phone number given in another post. It has been disconnected. This company uses the US Mail to send their seed. The dishonest business practices constitute mail fraud. If you are dissatisfied with Reimer Seed, file a complaint with the Post Office. Mail Fraud is a criminal offence.
On May 24th, 2011, margez changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I changed my rating to neutral because it appears that Reimers refunded $2.50 to my PayPal account. I did not receive any notice that the refund would be or had been made, but I found it today when I went to the PayPal site to file a complaint about Reimer Seeds. There was a balance equal to the cost of the eggplant.
Negative skfla500
Clearwater, FL
May 23, 2011
VERY/Extremely Expensive. My packs of 10 tomato seeds were $4 & $5 respectively, plus $5.25 shipping. Just under $15 for 20 standard (non premium/rare) tomato seeds!

Customer service was responsive, I sent only 1 email inquiry & they responded quickly. But the response did seem to be abrupt or perhaps a little rude. If their response was a cut & paste response, I'd recommend changing the format. If someone actually responds to each email, I'd move the person/persons to a different dept. where they don't work directly with customers...

GERM RATE WAS LOW. Under 25%. Hard to tell if seeds were old or just poorly harvested/stored. Frankly, given the VERY high prices & the low germ rate, I would have been much better off just ordering live plants from a better vendor.

Minor issue, their website is not as user friendly as other sites. Seems to be a little overly organized. I wouldn't have thought I would say that but take a look at sweet peppers. You can't just get a total list to peruse. You have to look by color or type or by individual letters, etc. Perhaps there is a simple way to view total lists of peppers or tomatoes, etc. but if there is, I'm probably not the only consumer to miss it.

Assessment: I would strongly recommend avoiding this vendor. They have a nice selection of cultivators but even if you're willing to pay the high prices, the germ rate is killer. If you don't mind paying the high rates for the very limited number of resulting plants (I ended up with 1 viable transplant from each pack) that result, I would recommend just saving yourself the time, effort & heartache and order some live plants from a better vendor.
Negative diegartenfrau
Eugene, OR
April 28, 2011
Posted on April 26, 2011, updated April 28, 2011
I ordered seeds from them last year and again this year. Order at both times came quickly. But this year my order was missing some seed packs, so I sent them an email at orders@reimerseeds to notify. Mistake happen, so no big deal as long they get fixed....but I never heard back from them. I mailed them twice at this email not getting any reply from them. Then I went to their website, filled their online email form out.....never heard back either. I was getting really annoyed. Then I found the other email orderdesk@reimerseeds.com
to my surprise it bounced back with "Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain", I also noticed their online help chat line has been off line.
What the heck! All I want is that they send me the missing seeds I paid for. I am ready to report them to the BBB and the Attorney General for bad business practices and non-delivery of goods.
Doesn't this look like this guy blocked my email? But guess what, I googled the owner of this business Donald Reimer and I found his phone number. So I am putting it here so he can get an earful of disgruntled customers. Donald Reimer
PO Box 236 | Mount Holly, NC 28120
Phone_ (704) 352-2580

Aside he has a good excuse for ignoring my requests for fulfillment of my order I will never order from this place again.
But then it does not surprise me too much, I used to live around there and I don't want to offend anyone but this was a common experience I had dealing with small businesses in that area.

I think at this point I am not trusting them with having my account information so I am going to delete that. Right now
Isabell
On April 28th, 2011, diegartenfrau added the following:

Well, what a surprise. Last Night I saw a email in my inbox saying they sent me the missing seeds. No word to any of my questions, concerns. No apology, nothing. Like nothing ever happened.
I think Donald Reimer has a problem dealing with mistakes/problems of businesses and deals with those like the Ostrich sticking his head in the Sand.
So I think I am leaving the Negative rating, even I am supposed to be getting my seeds because I still feel I am being ignored.....
By the way, when I tried to delete my credit card number, after I logged on to my account I could see my credit-card# written on top of the last order, the whole number, not encrypted at all. That does not make me feel comfortable ever doing business with them. I am going to ask them to remove my personal information including any credit-card files with proof that it has done....after I get my missing seeds. Even it is supposed to be on a secure site, we all know how often computers get hacked nowadays.
Beware if you ever ordered from them I advise to go see if your account has your credit card# posted.
Positive Lucy_VA
Brooks, GA
March 17, 2011
Amazed that every seed I planted from Reimer germinated. My family owned a huge pepper/tomato seed company until the 80s though & seem to have that green thumb. For peppers, it takes patience, even moisture and steady temp around 80-85. I plant mine thick in container indoors, keep in window in the sun; when have at least second set of leaves for a few weeks, transplant to larger pot, and eventually to garden. Again, amazing success.
Negative VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX (Zone 7b)
February 26, 2011
0 germination of 5 Bhut Jalokia seeds for $15
14/15 seeds from Peppergal germinated 15 seeds for $3.00
Company never responds to emails and does not have a phone.
Wish I would have read these reviews before doing business with this basement business
Positive wendya76
Oakland, CA
February 7, 2011
I have purchased twice from Reimer Seeds and had a good experience. Seeds arrived promptly and germination was standard. I had a slight problem with the point system (my reimer points where deleted, but i emailed them and they responded via email quickly and credited me back). I feel bad that people have had a bad experience but it is what it is. There are too many variables in seed starting to blame the seeds or the company but customer service is a different issue.
Positive clscott12
Rocklin, CA
January 12, 2011
I've been buying from these guys off-and-on for about 4 years. The seeds are hit-or-miss, but mostly a hit. They almost always throw in some extra seeds for free (a packet of 5 seeds often has 8 or 10, and sometimes they'll throw in another packet of something random you didn't even order) I've been very happy with my purchases, except for a few things:

I've bought Red Savina seeds from them 3 years in a row. The first 2 times, all of them germinated. Unfortunately, the plants died early (my fault), so I was never able to collect my own seeds from them. The 3rd year, however, not a single seed germinated.

I also bought a packet of 20 Ancho seeds, and only 1 germinated. Luckily, it grew to be a very strong and productive plant, and I was able to save lots of seeds.

Lastly, I bought a packet of 5 Naga Jolokia seeds. While all of them germinated and grew into large plants, I discovered that the chilies it produced were not what the website described. The picture showed big 3"x1" pods (how a ghost chili should look), but what grew were hundreds of tiny little cayenne-pepper-sized pods. They were still hot as hell, but definitely not the variety I thought I was ordering.

All the other seeds I've ordered (over 20 packets) have been great.

I just placed an order for lots of different seeds (including a different variety of ghost chili, the Naga Morich, as well as some other vegetables), so I'll report the results after I've got them all planted.
Negative taufgardner
American Fork, UT
December 8, 2010
Posted on December 4, 2010, updated December 8, 2010
Posted on November 21, 2010, updated December 4, 2010
Seeds were delivered timely. NONE germinated. I've been at this for 40+ years and have never had such poor luck with seeds. Tried one more time with the rest of the seeds they sent (greenhouse varieties). If my luck changes, I will update.
On December 4th, 2010, taufgardner added the following:

Never have I had such poor luck with any seeds from anywhere. Not one germinated. NOT ONE! I thought I had one lettuce seed that had sprouted. Turned out to be a weed. It is now too late to get a winter crop, but I went to a local seed supplier to get standard varieties in hopes of getting a spring crop. NEVER order from Reimer. It doesn't matter if they have THE variety you need. If it doesn't sprout it's the same as not having it.
On December 8th, 2010, taufgardner added the following:

In the four days since my last posting, I bought, planted and had seeds sprout (at expected rates) that were bought at a local nursery from leftover stock. I also found and ordered greenhouse varieties from Territorial, from whom I have ordered in the past and have had terrific luck. I guess my two strikes weren't my inability to grow seeds in a greenhouse. Just bad seeds from Reimer. Buyer beware.
Positive Kadyd
Terra Bella, CA
October 28, 2010
Gee Whiz! I thought gardening was supposed to be a mellowing hobby. At any rate, I have used Reimer Seeds for a couple of years and had no problems at all. We especially love their chilis & English broad beans. Thanks, Reimer.
Neutral jamesfriendly
Viburnum, MO
September 19, 2010
WOW..I wish I had read reviews.. I mixed my seeds from there and another company so can't tell who's was whose..but I did notice that the germination was low but could not pinpoint the company.. Hopefully they get better. Like others, I thought it looked like a good site.. I am keeping my own seeds this year..
Negative distlog
Paris, KY
August 2, 2010
I can't speak to their rudeness because they have never responded to any of my questions. On second thought that is a form of rudeness. My questions have included why did I pay extra for expidited shipping & receive my seeds about 15 days later; why 6 different packets of supposedly 6 different varities produced the same tomatoes (I now have 12 Isis Candy cherry tomato plants), why 0% of the Choi seeds germinated and why the cabbage & brussels were weak & stunted. I do have to say that the peppers & tomatoes germinated well & produced good healthy plants, the tomato packets just don't happen to contain what I ordered. I spent around $170 with them & can't get a response on anything.
Neutral Fifer_WD
Hustontown, PA
July 19, 2010
Like others, I also had a rather rude response to my question about a back order -- "Read your receipt" etc. At the time, I had not received a receipt. I was responding to an emailed shipping notice that indicated that I was being charged for the full order, although one item was not on the shipping list.

I do think that it is odd that a tiny envelope should cost so much to ship, and that one should be asked to pay extra to "move to the top". It kind of suggests that if enough people pay the extra charge, my three packets of seed might not be shipped for several months or more. What happened to "Thank you sir, next customer please"? Should we expect McDonald's to start dealing out cold burgers to those who don't pay extra for fast service?

The seeds came quickly. Germination was adequate, with the exception of Long Island Cheese Squash. None of the seeds germinated, although squash and pumpkins from other sources planted in the same soil are doing fine. As for the other Reimer plants, they did not mature as rapidly as those grown from seeds that I received from other sources. I had my soil tested for general vegetable growing by Penn State, and followed their recommendations for soil amendment before the planting season started.

I probably will not order again, mostly because of the the shipping costs and policies and the rather off putting response that I received to a civil inquiry. This alone made me leery.
Negative fishingfarmer
Folsom, LA
July 6, 2010
I ordered several varieties of seed from Reimer's and they were delivered fairly promptly. Germination rate was good except for one tomato variety. I contacted the company on several ocassions but got only one e-mail reply: They do not accept orders by telephone.
I suspect doing business with a company that will not let a customer order by telephone is like doing business with a company that does not have a physical address...very risky.
I will not order from them again.
Negative hendrixnia
Peru, IL
June 26, 2010
We live in a rural area, and everyone on our lane (8 homes) have the same address, but we all have individual mailboxes at the beginning of the lane. Whoever was communicating with me via email was extremely rude demanding more info for our address. We do not have anymore info and have recieved our mail at this address for 35 years. This person suggested I was lazy because I wouldn't give him more of an address and suggested 911 wouldn't be able to find our home I was trying to order seeds, not get a lecture on EMS services as if it were any of their buisness. I ordered the same seeds through amazon and they were shipped the same day. I wanted to call the company but found out there was no phone. Very unbuisness like and I would not recommend this company to anyone. It was a very disturbing.
Negative lglavish
Reno, NV
June 11, 2010
I purchased 1 oz of Gold Nugget Squash seeds from them in March. I had recently visited Australia where this squash is very popular and I wanted to grow it myself. The price and shipping were high-$20.75-but I foolishly went ahead and bought them.

I am an experienced gardener and I store and germinate seeds correctly. When I started my squash this year....all 14 different types....I had 95 % germination in 3-6 days. EXCEPT for the Reimer Seeds product. Absolutely ZERO.

I emailed the company (THERE IS NO PHONE NUMBER ON THEIR WEBSITE)

I then found a phone # through my credit card statement and called. It just went to a regular answering machine.

Reimer Seeds never contacted me. I think this may be just a guy buying and repackaging seeds. The seed packets is a generic white envelope that says 'Reimer Seeds' and then a sticker is placed on the packet that tells the contents. That's a tip off right there.

I also noticed that in 2 of the last 3 positive reviews the authors wrote exactly "I am in no way affiliated with this company nor have I been compensated in any way for this positive review" and "I am not associated with or have been compensated by Reimer Seeds in any way." I find this unusual.

I understand that occasionally there is low germination rates with seeds. But Reimer has not bothered to contact me in any way.

BEWARE THE COMPANY THAT DOES NOT PROVIDE A PHONE NUMBER!

Note that the Reimer return policy states:

"All sales are final and we do not accept returns for any reason"

Here is what Reimer Seeds say on their guarantee:

"Money Back Guarantee
We guarantee that our seeds will grow! If the seeds do not germinate, and we test the seeds and find a problem with the seeds, you get your money back! You must notify us know within 120 days of purchase if you experience any germination problems."

Here is what Burpee say's on their guarantee:

"The Burpee Guarantee

We guarantee all products in this catalogue to the full amount of the purchase price. We shall refund your money or provide a replacement, anytime within a year if you are not satisfied.

Here is Johnny's guarantee:

"Everything we sell is backed by Johnny's 100% satisfaction guarantee. If anything you buy from us proves unsatisfactory we will either replace it or refund the purchase price, whichever you prefer."

Here is Territorial's guarantee:

"Territorial Seed Company Guarantee
At Territorial our products are backed by our full guarantee. We want our customers to be 100% satisfied with both the seed and supplies that you buy from us. If anything you buy from Territorial proves to be unsatisfactory, we will either replace the item or refund the purchase price, whichever you prefer."

Territorial, Johnny's, and Burpee guarantee on satisfaction.

Reimer seeds gets to 'test' the seeds....hmmm.....that's after they've already stated that they don't accept returns for any reason....hmmm. Seems kinda shady to me.

Reimer seeds obviously does not care about customer satisfaction and will not guarantee it.

The only good thing I received from this company was a lesson to CHECK THE DG WATCHDOG FIRST.

Negative lisainSF
San Francisco, CA
March 11, 2010
Posted on March 11, 2010, updated March 11, 2010
We received a gift certificate for this company from some dear friends with whom we vacationed in Mexico last year. They had done some research and saw that Reimer had a wide variety of habanero peppers and thought it would be fun for us to try and recreate some of the wonderful salsas we had.

The first two times we tried to place an order, when we declined expedited shipping the next page showed that our cart was empty. I emailed to complain and received this response:
"What browser and version are you using?

We tested the system and it is working fine.

Make sure you delete your temporary internet files and cookies, reboot, and try again.

Also make sure you have the latest security updates for your computer."

Gee, thanks.

Tried placing the order on a different computer and made it to the checkout with the order in tact. Entered the gift certificate and elected to pay the small remaining balance with Paypal. When we got to the final screen, we were informed that our Paypal account had been charged the entire amount. The gift certificate had vanished. . Emailed Reimer, no response for 3 days. Then this:
"The address you provided doesnít appear in the US Post Office database. It is asking for a Suite Number/Apt Number, or Unit Number." I cry bs. We provided them with my work address, to which I have had probably over 100 packages shipped over the years. And still no response re: not crediting the gift certificate.

We are working with Paypal to get our money back. I am writing a letter to the North Carolina BBB and the attorney general. Near as I can tell, based on my experience and the comments here, this company's business model is about 50% giving people what they pay for and about 50% flat out ripping people off. Infuriating.
On March 11th, 2010, lisainSF added the following:

Update: after submitting a dispute through Paypal they refunded our money and have banned us from ever ordering through them in the future "for failure to provide a valid shipping address." Whatever. I never want to do business with them again.

The remaining question is whether our friends will be able to get a refund for their gift certificate, or whether Reimer will just keep that as a nice bonus.
Positive Martin2010
Abbeville, SC
March 10, 2010
Received my order including seeds that went back ordered with in a week after ordering. Great service. Will be ordering from again..
Positive yaquigrande
Wichita, KS
February 26, 2010
I believe that a company is only as good as their customer service when something goes wrong.
Fortunately, I have not had the opportunity to find out how good or bad Reimer Seeds customer service is since in both 2009 and 2010 I got my seeds promptly and accurately. This year (2010) I did pay the expedite charge and got my seeds in 2 days.
As for germination problems with their seed, I have no problems to report.
I truly feel bad for all the people who've had problems with this company. As everyone else in the world, I know the frustration that comes with dealing with bad customer service.
Additionally, I have to say that I am in no way affiliated with this company nor have I been compensated in any way for this positive review.

Positive ClevePepperDude
Olmsted Falls, OH
February 18, 2010
My Reimer story...
I was looking for some Trinidad Scorpion Seeds and googled them. Only a few websites seemed to have them and they wanted credit card numbers. The sites looks like a fifth grader made them. I got to Reimer Seeds site and noticed that they use PayPal. As an avid eBay'er, I have become familiar with PayPal. Because of past experience I also googled Reimer Seeds and found this site Dave's Garden. I read the mostly negative reviews and also took note of the expedite service that some talked about. I then figured that if I pay with PayPal, I get their (PayPal) customer service to back me up or refund my money if I never got my order. I ordered The Trinidad Scorpions, as well as some Charleston peppers plus paid for the $5 expedite service and $6.75 1st class service. It was Friday night about 10 pm. Now I also read the terms and conditions (like many of you stated) and it said that orders will be done on Mondays and a bunch of other stuff so I did not bother to check my email, or the website until Tuesday. When I checked, I was surprised to see that I had a tracking number that was posted the next day - Saturday and the seeds are on the way. Well it is Wednesday and I have them here in front of me now. I can't say that they are cheap, I don't know if they are friendly, but I am happy with the speed of the shipment and will probably buy from again, but first I will see how germination goes. That is my 2 cents - I am not associated with or have been compensated by Reimer Seeds in any way. I am now a member of this site and may get involved by adding some content in the future!
ClevePepperDude
Negative Gibsi
Durham, NC
January 1, 2010
Reimer Seeds has got the rudest customer service department I have ever dealt with in my LIFE! I recently decided to give them a try (I forgot to check out their reviews on this site first-ooops) and ordered several types of seeds for my spring garden. I was pleased when the order arrived quickly. Unfortunately, the order arrived without the bean seeds I requested. I sent them a very polite email, saying I'm sure it was a minor oversight and could they please ship the Kentucky Pole Beans I ordered. No big deal, right?
Well- I was floored at the rude response I got from them. Their response was,"Read your receipt. The Kentucky Pole Beans are on BACKORDER."
Between me and whoever reads this, I still don't see where on my receipt it says the beans are on backorder, and I don't think it much matters.
I have cancelled the order, requested a refund, and will never order anything from them- even if they are the last seed supplier on earth. The service department sent me 3 rude emails after I cancelled my order. One stated," FYI, it is not rude to ask a customer to read a receipt." They sent me another email after that, but I deleted it unread. I don't need to spend my time arguing with an idiot in a cubicle. Unbelievable!
I'm one of those people who talks with my wallet. If a company is rude to me, I don't do business with them. There are plenty of companies out there that can sell me Kentucky pole bean seeds- I don't need to support a company who is rude to the people they depend on for income.
My suggestion for you is to try Territorial Seeds instead or Tomato Growers-that's what I have done. They both have a great selection, good prices, fast shipping, and fabulous customer service.
Good luck.
Negative gpantone3
Ivoryton, CT
December 19, 2009
After reading the other comments, I now understand that it wasn't "me" and my process starting the seeds. Worst germination I have ever had for Red Savina's. And my previous experience with them was pretty good. Guess it was the luck of the draw.