The scoop on 'Renee's Garden Seeds'

Renee's Garden Seeds

6060A Graham Hill Rd.
Felton, California 95018 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-880-7228
Paper Catalog Cost: n/a

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Company Comment, posted on December 10, 2001:
At Renee\'s Garden, I offer only the varieties that are very special for home gardeners, based on great flavor, easy culture and exceptional garden performance. This seed line is my personal selection of new, exciting and unusual seed choices of time-tested heirlooms, the best international hybrids and fine open-pollinated varieties. I harvest and use the vegetables and herbs in my kitchen to choose the most delicious, and cut the flowers for bouquets to select the finest colors, forms and fragrances.

Our individually written packets offer beautiful watercolor portraits, with personally written descriptions, complete growing instructions, a quick-view planting chart, growing tips, harvesting information and cooking ideas. Inside you\'ll find superior quality seed- the top germinating, reliable seed lots usually reserved for specialty growers. Our seeds are available online and at fine garden centers and nurseries. We do not have a print catalog. Renee\'s Garden is my practical way to spread the joy of gardening as a meaningful, productive and satisfying activity that connects us to each other and the earth. Please join me!
- Renee Shepherd.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive clpgirl
Chippewa Lake, OH (Zone 5b)
June 9, 2014
Posted on October 6, 2012, updated June 9, 2014
Posted on May 10, 2012, updated October 6, 2012
Great communication, fast service. All around positive!
Five stars to Renee's!
On October 6th, 2012, clpgirl added the following:

Wanted to update with another 5 stars! Planted the mini bells very late- (mid-july!)thought it unlikely I'd see much progress in our horrendous summer heat.....

What a GREAT surprise-found 6 baby bells on one plant today! Thanks Renee. I am back on-line today figuring out next years fun with your very very reliable seeds!
On June 9th, 2014, clpgirl added the following:

Once again wonderful sucess w/very late winter-sowing of sweet peas..container beans planted about two weeks ago in ground, +++germination-neighbor's kids second ever gardening project-they love green, yellow and purple mix!
Thanks again Renee for consistently wonderful collectios of sweet peas, container size plants, great communication, and consistent germination.
I'll be back next year!
Positive doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
March 28, 2014
I've ordered from Renee's for quite a few years. I usually buy from their end of season sale and still get good germination the next year. I love their pink and orange gomphrenas and the Chantilly snapdragons which I don't see elsewhere. I have always been very happy, and I really appreciate the way she combines interesting things in the same packet so you don't have to buy so many different individual things. I'm sure if I ever had a problem, she would make it right immediately.
Neutral OhKatieOh
WARNER SPRINGS, CA
March 27, 2014
I received my shipment of 15 different seed packets. So far I've tried 5 (Cat Treats Bonus pack, Echinacea 'Paradise Mix', Lettuce 'Garden Babies, Lettuce 'Rhapsody, and Carrots 'Circus Circus')I'm 4 weeks into planting the seeds and am at 0% germination with the exception of the Cat Treats Bonus Pack (which is doing great and my chickens LOVE it.) Overall I like their website and seed packet information, but the seeds themselves aren't winning me over. I'll still use Renee's as a great resource for garden info. Luckily it's still early enough in the season that I was able to re-order from my tried and true Seed Saver Exchange.
Company representative comment on March 27, 2014:
On Mar 27, 2014 10:27 AM, Renee's Garden Seeds responded with:

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. We do guarantee our seeds and germination, and would be happy to replace those which we unsuccessful. We hope that when people have problems, they'll contact us directly so we can not only replace the seeds soon enough so they'll get results the same season, but hear enough about how, when and where they've planted so we can offer some suggestions. Our email and phone are both on the packet or on our website, and we do hope to hear from you, and that you'll try our seeds again.
Best Wishes

Customerservice@reneesgarden.com

Positive jardinierla
Pittsburgh, PA
November 1, 2013
Renee's GS is my go-to company for most of my seed purchases. I love the selection offered, particularly the packs that contain multiple varieties of an individual vegetable. Many of those packets contain color coded seeds so you know which variety you are planting. I have had no problems with germination, but a good part of my success can be attributed to the excellent information provided on the lovely seed packets. Also I have done most of my buying on-line, not locally, where seeds sometimes are not kept in the best environment. The website is easy to navigate with photographs showing you what each plant & flower looks like. There are periodic sales & shipping is prompt. I highly recommend Renee's!
Negative AlawonB
Lithia Springs, GA
November 1, 2013
I was very excited to shop at Renee's. I was looking specifically for Heritage and Organic varieties. My lemon cucumbers barely managed to germinate, non-productive however. The Signet marigolds I bought were a huge disappointment. Of the 50 seeds I started, only 1 germinated! Yes, one out of *fifty*. And then it never blossomed :~)
Company representative comment on November 4, 2013:
On Nov 4, 2013 2:27 PM, Renee's Garden Seeds responded with:

Hello AlawonB,
I'm sorry to hear of your disappointing experience. We hope when people have problems, they'll contact us directly so we can not only replace the seeds soon enough so they'll get results the same season, but hear enough about how, when and where they've planted so we can offer some suggestions. The soil may have been too chilly still (usually the problem for folks with cucurbits), and also for the marigolds (if you started them right in the ground at the same time) - they like warm soil as well. If you'd contact us at this point, we'd be glad to replace them for next season. Our email and phone are both on the packet or on our website. I hope you'll try our seeds again.

Positive luvdata
Honolulu, HI
August 2, 2013
I bought Renee's Garden seeds from OSH when I was living in California. Since moving to Hawaii, I've ordered their seeds by mail order. Delivery was fast & as promised.

More importantly, their seeds are consistently excellent. I'm able to get unique boutique items from them and their planting instructions are unparalleled. The seeds cost a tad more than your usual hardware store purchase, but there's more in each bag and they do sprout. So much so that I can count the seeds out one by one and see each one grow.
Positive redchair2
Fort Wayne, IN
April 3, 2012
Nice packaging, excellent product, terrific service. Keep up the good work!
Positive seagardener
Southport, ME
February 15, 2012
My only experiences with Renee's have been positive. They offer excellent and unique vegetable mixtures such as tri-color bush and pole beans and some hard to find varieties such as "Charlotte" swiss chard and 'Sea of Red' lettuce. The cut flower selection is also excellent and they are one of the only sources for "Chantilly" mixed snapdragons which is a breathtaking mixture. Renee's also has kept their prices down below $3/packet and offers good online photographs for all their varieties. Highly recommended.
Negative dimar
Visalia, CA (Zone 9a)
July 6, 2011
We called to let this company know about a problem we had with their seeds. Very poor germination. We know how to plant seeds and didn't have any trouble with any of our other seeds. I tried three different attempts to get them germinated. It is a new variety and I was really excited about growing them, especially harvesting them! Their rep, "Heidi", let us know that they are not in the business to give away free seeds. Wow! I am pretty sure we paid for the seeds that were duds. So, that would not be free seeds. Is it wrong to expect to get some plants out of their seeds?
I am going to Orchard Supply Hardware today, to let them know the way that Renee's. responds to problems with their seeds. Hopefully, they will care more than Renee's did.
Company representative comment on July 7, 2011:
On Jul 6, 2011 4:45 PM, Renee's Garden Seeds responded with:

We are very sorry that you had a problem with germination with your seeds - we work hard to insure that our customers have success with our seeds and are very concerned if there is any problem. Our policy is always to gladly replace any seeds that were not satisfactory, and apologize for any misunderstanding that may have occured in your conversation with Heidi. Please allow us to replace your seeds and offer you some additional packets to compensate you for your time and effort. Please contact me at sue@reneesgarden.com with your mailing address and let me know what seeds need to be replaced and any other variety would like to try and we'll get them to you asap.

On Jul 7, 2011 9:43 AM, Renee's Garden Seeds added:

And Heidi would also like to add: "In my 2 and a half years of talking to customers I have never said that we don't replace seeds, nor would I ever. Renee just doesn't want to send more seeds to a customer without getting more information and giving them some help first to make sure they are successful in their next attempt. We take these issues very seriously, so I do refer customers to Beth, our horticultural advisor first, so she can gather information and provide any assistance if needed. Feedback from our customers allows us to maintain quality and insure good performance throughout the country. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to respond!"

Heidi Harris

Positive mrs_colla
Marin, CA (Zone 9b)
February 21, 2011
Posted on February 18, 2009, updated February 21, 2011
I have bought many seed packets from Renee's; both in the retailers around me and online on her website. I have called them to ask about the situating of a certain seed, and the lady on the phone was helpful and friendly.

I have good germination rates, and most seeds I put outside immediately.

I will keep buying these seeds; there are many seeds in a pack, and the take off great!

When you buy online, the seeds arrive within days! The information on the pack is great, no guessing here, and the packs look pretty too!
On February 21st, 2011, mrs_colla added the following:

The seeds are always great, and the customer service is great too. I had a seed germinate in my garden, and didn't know what it was. Since I had put renee's seeds down in that area I emailed a picture to them, and I got a very quick and friendly response.
Neutral manda314
Wylie, TX
November 20, 2010
Very prompt delivery on my order. I really only wanted to buy Mina Lobata Exotic Love Vine because I couldn't find them anywhere else... but was required to purchase two more seeds. Didn't really see why that is a requirement with the $3.95 delivery s&h charge. They didn't really have anything else I really needed so it was hard to choose two more. Anyways, they were delivered promptly and in good condition. The packets contain plenty of useful information and I'm looking forward to winter sowing them.
Positive buttrfly
Austin, TX
February 3, 2010
Between their charming packages, fast and friendly service, and genuine desire to "do the right thing" for their customers, Renee's has never let me down!
Positive charistides
Erwinna, PA
January 10, 2010
We had more water this year than we could deal with -- we assume that we caused the wet year simply by purchasing drip irrigation! However, we started a number of Tomato, Pepper and Eggplants from Renee's Garden Seeds -- and bought about 30 plants from our local Agway. At first, the Agway plants (Bonnie's) were outdoing our own, started from seed plants, then, as all the wet (and related diseases set in) the only harvest we got was from our Renee's started from seed plants. We do not pretend to know why this happened -- but for 2010 we will start all our tomatoes, peppers and eggplants from Renee's seeds and grow our own plants. Also, we put a table in out garden -- thanks Renee for the idea. We now dine in and from our garden.
Positive Bathos
Phoenixville, PA (Zone 6b)
December 31, 2009
I have been pleased with all of my purchases from Renee's Garden. The seeds arrived quickly and in most cases I plant half a packet and save the other half for the next year. Renee's Garden doesn't include commercial amounts of seed. It is more geared for the family garden. I did grow over 40 tomato plants from one seed packet, but that was too many for my family veggie garden and I had to give most away. This year I'll be sure to only grow half the packet.
Positive Jenny4
Norfolk, VA (Zone 8a)
June 4, 2009
I tried Renee's for the first time this year based on positive comments at Dave's Garden. All the positivity is well-founded. I received my mail order within 4 days, complete and accurate. Each seed packet is a visual, prosaic and scientific delight. The packets are bountiful and a high ratio of seeds made it all the way to being healthy plants. I will continue to purchase seeds from Renee's Garden.
Positive greyslate
Baltimore, MD
April 7, 2009
I stumbled across Renee's Garden Seeds in our local hardware store last summer and was overwhelmed with the detailed sowing and growing information contained on each packet. I took some home and was very pleased with the germination results (and the resulting plants). The cats especially seem to adore the cat grass.

Living in the city, with only container gardening available, I particularly appreciate the easily marked and diverse collection of container varieties (from eggplants to sweet peas). I ordered more seeds directly from the website this year this year (which arrived in a very timely fashion) and will continue to order in the future!
Positive OzarkCook
Middle of nowhere, AR (Zone 7a)
January 25, 2009
I have used Renee's seeds for several years, dating back to when she was with Shepherd's. I have always been pleased. I was especially surprised late this fall, though, when I ordered some sale seed (dated 2008). I was working overtime then, so I did not notice when my shipment came up a packet short. Renee's did notice, though, and I got an email apology and a packet of 2009 seed without ever having sent a complaint! Now that's service from an honest company!

I appreciate so many things about Renee's, including her collections, so that a home gardener with a medium-sized garden can get even more variety. It's true that I could get bigger seed quantities elsewhere, but it's the diversity I crave, and additional seed would just be overkill. I eagerly await each newsletter, and I love reading the tips posted at the web site.
Positive natalie4b
Roswell, GA (Zone 7b)
November 9, 2008
It is my first time buying seeds from this company. They came in promptly, in colorful pretty packages with information and planting instructions on back.
Look forward to watch their transformation into beautiful flowers in my garden next year!
Negative maia447
Trenton, NJ
June 12, 2008
I bought most of my vegetable seeds from Renee's Garden this year as it was recommended by a Master Gardener I know. The only thing I am uniformly happy with is the lettuces. The germination rates have been very poor, especially compared to Johnny's Selected Seeds where I have shopped for several years. I also noticed small quantities of seeds as mentioned elsewhere.

Positive msonmezay
Mission Hills, CA
March 12, 2008
I love the selection of seeds she offers. I have ordered from the website, and bought the seeds in a store nearby me. The seeds I ordered came very quickly. I would buy from this company again. No complaints here.
Positive seedgeek
Jonesboro, AR
February 10, 2008
This year's seed order (2008) arrived promptly and was filled correctly. I have ordered from this company for the last few years, and the seeds in past years have had good germination.
Positive RuTemple
San Jose, CA (Zone 9b)
December 8, 2007
I love Renee's Garden seeds, her choices of veggies and flowers, and the way she packs multiple varietals in the same seed-pack and have two or three different things from one packet. She also started, grew, and sold the larger company Sheperd's Seeds (now run by White Flower Farm folks, making them bi-coastal) and has made this splendid smaller collection just thrive.
We buy seeds every year; old favorites and new things to try.
Positive HNNUTT
Mart, TX
August 24, 2007
I PURCHASE A PACKET OF CARDINAL CLIMBER VINE SEEDS FROM A LOCAL NURSERY. THE GERMINATION RATE AND TIME WERE EXCELLENT. THE VINE WAS HEARTY AND A FAST GROWER. I ALSO LIKE THE PACKAGE WITH THE PHOTOS AND EXTENDED INFORMATION AVAILABLE. I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS SITE.
Negative queenofthegarde
Whittier, CA
August 24, 2007
I was disappointed with the tiny quantities of seeds in my seed packets. The sweet pea seeds in 3 of 5 packets were in pieces!!! Renee's used to have better quality control than this!
Company representative comment on January 7, 2010:
On Jan 7, 2010 11:57 AM, Renee's Garden Seeds responded with:

Our sweet pea packets should have 30 35 seeds for all varieties.Let us know which others you felt were low. If a filling error happened, we would be happy to replace the packet immediately - just email or call us. We do ship in padded "jiffy packs", but the realities of the post office mean that once in a while a packet gets mashed in transit. Once again, if you had called or e-mailed us, we would have sent them a replacement the same day - and would still be happy to send you new seeds for this season..

Neutral bemidjigreen
Blackduck, MN
July 18, 2007
Renee's garden was one of my first discoveries for seed sources on the internet. I adore her varieties and the germination rate has been great. However, success maybe taking its toll on this company. My most recent order (7/2007) I ordered zinnia and cupid's sweet pea along with some others. These packets contained few seeds and in the case of the zinnia it was mainly chaf and many of the sweet pea seeds were broken.

For the price ($20 for 6 packs of seeds), definitely a huge disappointment. I will give this company another shot next season because I adore some of the varieties offered. Hopefully I won't see this again, if I do I will be taking my business elsewhere.
Company representative comment on January 7, 2010:
On Jan 7, 2010 12:07 PM, Renee's Garden Seeds responded with:

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with our seeds. Thanks for letting us know - we think our seeds are well -tested and top quality, so when something goes wrong or a gardener has problems, we really want to hear about it so we can help. We will be glad to refund your money, but we'd rather replace the seeds and have a chance to talk with you to find out what happened and see if we can give you useful advice so you can have a good gardening experience with Renee's Garden Seeds. We do ship in padded "jiffy packs", but the realities of the post office mean that once in a while a packet gets mashed in transit.

If you call our toll-free number 888-880-7228 and leave your telephone number for Beth, our horticultural advisor, between 9 and 5 PST, she can contact you to find out more about your particular situation and take care of seed replacements /refunds so you can try again if you'd like.

Positive knitter4years
Chico, CA
June 23, 2007
I've ordered from Renee's company several times. The quality of the seeds is really something. The flowers have been phenomenally beautiful. Try the heirloom morning glories. To die for. The packets the seeds come in are helpful and really pretty too. I highly recommend Renee's.
Positive gessiegail
Taft, TX (Zone 9a)
May 3, 2007
I ordered many seeds for my winter garden from her site on line. Every kind of seed I started not only germinated, but I even had Bells of Ireland!! (a hard one for us in zone 9) Her choices of heirlooms are outstanding and will order again!!
Positive indigofairy
Tupelo, MS
March 16, 2007
I have been using Renees for several years. I can say these are always high quality seeds, excellent germination, flowers as advertised, great customer service. I sent an email saying how pleased I was and got a response in a couple of hours - very impressive. I will continue to use Renees - I just planted over 130 peat pots of Renees and expect a beautiful garden this year.
Positive Fundygardener
(Zone 5b)
February 15, 2007
Incredibly quick service from California to eastern Canada. Wonderful selection of plants, including lots of heritage varieties. Can't wait to get those sweet peas into the ground.
Positive lisaoliver
Foristell, MO (Zone 5b)
February 1, 2007
I loved renee's when it was shepherd's. She was "cutting edge " in offering heirloom, hard to find seeds back then. All the seeds always had very high germination rates and I had a beautiful garden full of her plants.I found her again through this site and placed my first order 1/25/07( late at night) and received it 1/30/07! She does not send a paper receipt with the order, but e-mails it.(saves trees,thank-you) My spam filter didn't let it come through so I e-mailed the co. and within a few hours a lovely customer service e-mail came from them resending my e-mail as an attachment . I had told them I thought I ordered something that I didn't receive,turns out I didn't order it, but they sent it anyway 3 days later. THE BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!!Great seed envelopes carry ALL the info. you need about each individual variety. I cannot praise this co. enough.
Positive ccurry
Los Angeles, CA
January 15, 2007
I was suprised to see Renee's on here -- Ive used (her) seeds for several years; and I just started by seeds for this upcoming Spring. I was very shocked to sow a variety of lavendars, marjorams and cypress, cardinal and moonflower vines all germinate within 3-4 days -- more suprising were the moonflower (ipomea alba). I love her seeds!!!
Neutral seattlesue
Seattle, WA
January 11, 2007
I have had great success with Renee's seeds. Her new varieties for 2007 are really gorgeous, and I'm looking forward to planting them. She has a nice e-newsletter, great service and excellent quality. I would highly recommend this company.

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors:

It is the policy of the Watchdog that companies may not pose as their own customer in order to leave feedback. The rating, written by a representative of this company was changed from positive to neutral so that it would not affect the overall rating given by customers.
Positive bloomheaven
Southern
United States
December 21, 2006
I purchased seeds from Renee's Garden in November. They arrived very quickly and all that I have started have germinated. I am very pleased and would purchase here again.
Positive Allie88
Palmyra, PA (Zone 6a)
December 6, 2006
I have ordered from Renee's Gardens on several occasions and have never been disappointed. They respond quickly and kindly to any questions. I highly recommend them!
Positive wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA (Zone 10b)
October 18, 2006
Outstanding! Order received in 3 days...I'm very pleased.
Positive jks_evanston
Evanston, IL (Zone 5b)
October 9, 2006
I ordered zinna, basil and kale in the midsummer. The seeds, especially the basil had great germination rates and produced healthy plants. The order came in 3 business days.
Positive irishmist
Rochester, NY (Zone 6a)
August 28, 2006
I have purchased Renee's seeds on several occasions from area retailers. I 've been extremely impressed with the germination rate and vigor even in more challenging varieties, thanks to the excellent cultural information. Each and every flower and vegetable has been outstanding! Renee has done a great job of selecting exceptional varieties. I'm eager to order from the entire stock on the website next season. It's so reassuring to find great seeds and great service!
Positive sciurus
Prince Frederick, MD
April 15, 2006
I ordered from Renee's last summer and was very pleased with the seeds and the service. When there was a problem with one packet of melon seeds, not only did she replace them, she sent us two packets in return. My granddaughter went on to win a blue ribbon at the county fair with one of those melons. Renee's combo packets of eggplant, beans, basil and other veggies are a real boon for small gardens. Everything we bought from her produced well. The lovely illustrations on the seed packets are an added pleasure.
Positive petit_potager
March 31, 2006
Renee Shepherd founded Shepherd's Garden Seeds in 1985. In 1997 she created Renee's Garden after White Flower Farm purchased Shepherd's.

Renee is widely recognized as a pioneering innovator. Although widely available now, Renee was one of the first in the United States to introduce international vegetables, flowers and herbs to home gardeners and gourmet restaurants.

Her germination rates are so predictable some say her seeds seem to jump out of the ground. That certainly reflects my experience with her seed. Today, I mainly use her for edible flowers such as nasturtiums (Tropaeolum majus).

Her keen marketing sense has led her to offer several attractive heirloom combination packets. She expedites her shipping and is efficient to deal with.
Positive sugarlily
Gridley, CA (Zone 8a)
February 7, 2006
Great variety, quick delivery. Informative seed packets. Can't wait to start my seeds. Glad to see she's back in business.