The scoop on 'Out of Africa'

Out of Africa

1005 Eckard Rd.
Centerburg, Ohio 43011 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Comments:

Positive Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR (Zone 7a)
July 12, 2014
In my opinion, one of the best sources for unusual succulents! Great plants, great prices shipping costs within reason. I just received my first order this year and I am overjoyed. I received multiple orders last year each one equally awesome. I cannot say enough good things about this nursery!
Positive Toni05
Brookfield, IL
August 1, 2013
Posted on October 16, 2012, updated August 1, 2013
Posted on May 24, 2012, updated October 16, 2012
Posted on September 28, 2010, updated May 24, 2012
Posted on September 11, 2010, updated September 28, 2010
Ordered 10 succulents from, Out of Africa, for the first time. All I can say is WOW..Excellent, healthy potted plants.
Each succulent came individually wrapped, with a name 'non-smear ink,' tag taped to the wrapping.
I ordered last Sunday night, 9/5/10, and received shipment, Fri, 9/10/10.

A fantastic nursery to stock up on succulents. Toni
On September 28th, 2010, Toni05 added the following:

Ordered another succulent from Out of Africa: E. 'guillauminiana...So cute and adorable.
Plant was securely wrapped. Shipping Super-Fast. One of the best Succulent Nurseries around. Toni
On May 24th, 2012, Toni05 added the following:

Sometimes I forget to leave feedback, which IMO, is wrong.
I ordered from OOA in 2011, but didn't leave feedback. I can't recall the date, but OOA deserved a Positive. Sorry about that.

My May 2012 Order:

Euphorbia 'Millotii'
E. 'Cremersii var rakatozafy'
E. 'Colliculina'
E. 'Alfredii'
Adenium 'Multiflorum'
Monadenium 'Laeve'

Each succulent is healthy, and well-rooted. Excellent foliage. Size varies. I normally purchase the least expensive succulents, however, considering the price, plants are good-size.
For instance, the Adenium is nearing one-foot.
Even though a couple are small, '4-inches' with proper care they'll grow into large, beautiful specimens.

I love OOA's succulents. All plants are healthy and pest-free. They have many very unusual varieties.

Plants arrived securely wrapped..Very fast shipping.

Maureen and Mike are wonderful people. When I have a question, 'ask by email,' they reply promptly.

A 5* Nursery...Thanks, Toni

On October 16th, 2012, Toni05 added the following:

Ordered and received Ceropegia dimorpha and Euphrbia obesa.

Each succulent is healthy, and pest-free. Good size for price.
Secure and Super-Fast -Shipping.

Great succulent nursery
On August 1st, 2013, Toni05 added the following:

Out of Africa is a 10-star Nursery...

Their A-Z Succulents consist of rare, healthy specimens.

Plants prices are very reasonable, as well as shipping costs.

I enjoy browsing OOA's plant list.

Maureen & Mike are very nice, pleasant, helpful people.

Times I had questions, I sent emails which were answered promptly.

Plants are securely wrapped. Well-taped. I use scissors to remove tape.

Plants come with a good-size label, botanical name of plant in dark/bold print. Label has adequate space to write date of purchase, and/or other information.

Shipping is super fast.
I couldn't believe my order arrived so soon after ordering. When the mailman rang the bell I had no idea the package consisted of plants. What a nice surprise!

My order:

Euphorbia Labatii, Red Leaf...(leaves are truely red.)

E. suzannae-marnierae...(loaded w/flowers)

Tylecodon Cacalioides....(tall bark)

Sansevieria cv Golden Hahnii...(very gold foliage)

Thanks, Maureen and Mike, Toni

Positive dellis530
Lima, PA
January 13, 2012
I have ordered from this nursery forever, when they were still in Ohio. I always received great plants that thrived. The prices arent bad and they have alot of hard to find specimens. Highly reccomend!!
Positive Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ (Zone 9a)
June 22, 2011
I just received an order from this company and I am very please with the plants and the packing job they did. They were extremely patient with answering my multiple e-mails. I will be ordering from them in the future!
Positive NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ (Zone 9a)
June 22, 2011
I ordered a number of Pachypodiums and they are very healthy and arrived in great condition. This company is now in Naples, FL and I received my plants in AZ in very good time. I would definitely order again.
Positive balberth
(Zone 9a)
May 3, 2009
These guys are actually located in Naples, Florida now.

I've ordered many plants from them ( all the smaller ones, not the expensive specimen plants ) over the years. Lately, they've been selling all their smaller plants on E-bay, and I've received a couple from them in the past month.

The plants have always arrived healthy, and amazingly quickly. I trust these guys to ship well grown plants all the way across the country quickly and safely.
Positive davidmk
Austin, TX (Zone 8b)
March 20, 2009
I have won multiple plants from Out of Africa on ebay. Everything is healthy and as described. I am very satisfied. You can find succulents here that you will not find anywhere else. You will not be disappointed. Check out their plants!
Positive congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY
September 26, 2008
Just got an order which I made from their website a week ago, glad to see that they have returned to selling young plants from their site rather than thru ebay, so one can figure out what one will recieve and at what price beforehand. Plants were in excellent shape, they come in gritty soil and are put in small pots (they seem too loose to have been growing in the same pots at the greenhouse) to protect the roots and are VERY well wrapped to protect them from shipping damage. I've ordered from them before and find the plants adjust well and grow quickly (I ordered mostly euphorbias, of which they have the best selection of Madagascaran species--which are particularly nice in foliage and form and often not as visciously spined as some of their mainland African cousins). Ordering is easy, packing is superb, shipping is fast, the plants are reasonably priced and the quality is excellent--what more could one ask for!
Positive Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL (Zone 7b)
September 12, 2007
Very, very happy with my order - plants exactly as described - well packed - will definitely order again
Negative Wfan
Beijing
China
January 1, 2007
Careful! I had totally positive experiences with them, ordering multiple times over several years. Until...

Three years ago I received an order of their plants, (all of which were ordered according to pictures on their specimen page), one of them was not the actual plant I had ordered, another one had rot on the bottom, and the third had soft black areas throughout. Naturally, I found this unacceptable, and sent the plants back, emailing them at the same time and telling them the problem and tracking number of the package.

To his/her credit, the owner acknowledged the problem and agreed to either give me a refund (which I REALLY should have took!) or credit. I figured since I would be ordering from them in the future, a credit for a future order would be fine.

WRONG! Later on I tried ordering more plants from them, using the credit. Nothing happened. I tried many times, but I would get no reply from them. This went on for about one year.

Until the summer of 2005, when the owner finally replied and said he would fill an order with my credit (more than $300), and even give me larger plants than I had ordered. I was relieved that it seemed this lengthy ordeal would be over.

WRONG AGAIN! I placed an order and waited to receive my plants. Nothing happened. After repeated emails, and phone calls (only answering machine picked up). Nothing. Absolutely nothing for the last year. I have not been able to get the owner to honor his promise.

So I would advise people to beware of the perils of ordering from Out of Africa!
Positive plantnutga
Thomasville, GA (Zone 8b)
September 20, 2006
I have purchased from this company 4 times so far. They are a delight to deal with. The plants arrived quickly and were healthy, happy, and extremely well packed. I especially appreciate the plant tag with the botanical name and info printed on it- I missed the first one because they tape it to the outside of the newspaper they wrap with (I'm sure that's so you do NOT miss it, but I was being clueless)

They have plants that I have never seen anywhere else and are extremely well informed on their favorite subject- exotic African plants.
Positive cactomaniac
Phoenix, AZ (Zone 9b)
August 1, 2006
I have purchased many plants from these folks via eBay this summer (2006). Each is wrapped, in the pot, with TLC; a custom printed plastic popsicle type lable is provided for each; and they arrive via USPS Priority Mail within 2-3 days. Frankly, I don't know where else I could find most of the exotics they offer.

Sure, no matter how much care is lavished on them, some plants travel better than others - or worse - as the case may be. BUT, without exception, I've had no failures, and all have revived nicely after 2-3 days out of the box.
On August 1st, 2006, cactomaniac added the following:

Positive wmrazek
Yorba Linda, CA
June 30, 2006
I have received great plants from them. In one case, I didn't realize my greenhouse cooling wasn't working, and one of the plants I received collapsed soon after I got it. I told them, and they immediately offered to replace it. I appreciate this real guarantee, but when I found out why it happened, I told them, and let them off the hook!

They really will stand behind what they send. This is even better than just sending nice plants!

Wayne
Positive senlarrs
Harrisburg, PA (Zone 6a)
May 27, 2006
I've ordered from Out of Africa once. I ordered an interesting plant that I've never seen anyone else offer. It was very healthy and labeled when I received it. So far, doing well. This nursery has an outstanding selection (especially of caudiciforms).
On June 29th, 2007, senlarrs added the following:

I have ordered a few more times and I am still postive about their communcation, service and wonderful plants!
On July 26th, 2007, senlarrs added the following:

July 26, 2007 Had just received two beautiful plants, just as described!!
Positive InnerLightPhoto
Brooklyn, NY
May 26, 2006
From the first time I received plants from this company, it instantly became one of four nurserys that I will buy from via mail order and sight unseen. Okay, before the moans, I did not know it at the time, but they had put plants up for auction on eBay and that is where I first discovered them and where I received the first ones. They were packed exceptionally well [best packers so far], received within 2 days of payment, and the plants are unremarkable - I can not believe the quality. Even in shipping, they remained in their pots and unscathed. Each plant is tagged so there is absolutely no confustion as to what is what. This is an A++ company! They offer plants that have been on my wish list for quite awhile and thus, this is how I found them. They had many plants that are rare and hard to come by. I was unprepared for the quality of the plants as I thought they would be, like all others, small in 4" pots, but they were bigger and better than most nurserys offer. While some prices on specimen plants are pricey, the plant prices overall are quite fair. Someone else said it, you only get what you pay for. Will order again from them without reservation - this company is a keeper.
Positive mmbrickner
Salt Lake City, UT
July 13, 2005
I ordered several plants from this company recently and was very impressed both with the customer service, speed at which i received my plants, and quality of the plants. The quality and size of plants was greater than I expected and the packing and labeling of plants was excellent. They have a lot of hard to find items and I will definately order from them again.
Positive Uncarina
Seattle, WA
April 29, 2005
I've ordered from Out of Africa once. I ordered some very interesting plants I've never seen anyone else offer. They were very healthy when I got them and labeled correctly. They're all doing really well. This nursery has an outstanding selection (especially of caudiciforms and Euphorbias) and fair pricing. Some of their very large specimen plants are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Highly recommended.
Positive gardengalca
January 18, 2004
If you are looking for specimen plants, especially caudiciforms, this is the place. Selection is very nice, and service is very prompt. Prices can be very inflated at times, so know what you are buying. All in all I've always been very impressed with this company.
Positive raia
November 7, 2003
I ordered from the company in late summer this year and was glad that i did. the plants were and still are in excellent health and their customer service is also excellent.
Positive Denise96
March 15, 2003
I just received several plants from this company. All were in excellent condition and a little bigger than expected. The owner delayed shipping because of below freezing temp., but mailed them immediately once the weather permitted. Worth the cost. I'll be ordering again I'm sure.
Positive Slightgrower
Columbus, OH
February 13, 2002
Since I live within an hour's drive of this business, I cannot comment on the mailorder aspect; I have purchased from them at least a half dozen times, but always at the greenhouse. They feature a huge selection of non-cactus succulents - probably 150 species of Euphorbia, alone -as well as caudiciforms of all shapes and sizes. Their stock are healthy young plants, most propigated on the site by seed or sometimes cuttings. There are also many larger, specimen plants. The owners are knowledgeable and friendly and a pleasure to do business with. I'll be back!