The scoop on 'Paul Christian - Rare Plants'

Paul Christian - Rare Plants

Wrexham, LL13 9XR
(United Kingdom)

Phone: (+44) 01978 366399
Fax: (+44) 01978 266466
Paper Catalog Cost:

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Negative eliasastro
Athens
Greece (Zone 10a)
December 18, 2012
Posted on August 24, 2012, updated December 18, 2012
Posted on July 14, 2012, updated August 24, 2012
Posted on September 29, 2011, updated July 14, 2012
All their products are of a certain quality, but there are two problems for me.The main is the prices, which are very high for bulbs that can be found much cheaper in other bulb traders. For some hard to find species prices are truly exorbitant, so i buy from other sellers.
Second main problem is SIZE of the bulbs. Many bulbs are supposed to be flowering sized, but they are not. I suppose that flowering sizes are underestimated.
On July 14th, 2012, eliasastro changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Last spring (April 2011) i bought a flowering size bulb that was supposed to be a Haemanthus coccineus form for 39,5 British Pounds plus shipping costs plus exchange costs. Unexpectedly it flowered in July 2012, which is not normal for H. coccineus who flowers late summer. It turned out to be a washed out hybrid between H. coccineus and H. albiflos. I think the prices of these specialized bulbs are so extremely high in this nursery that no mislabeling should be allowed.
I also had a negative experience with a bulb of the bulbous orchid Thelimitra frenchii that i bought for 23.5 pounds. The bulb was supposed to be flowering sized, but i received a very small tuber that sprouted one leave of less than 2 cm. I will never buy expensive bulbs from them again.
On August 24th, 2012, eliasastro added the following:

After many days of my e-mail to them about mislabeling i received an answer. The company insisted that the bulb was of a Haemanthus coccineus form. They think that a hybrid with H. albiflos is not possible, as they flower in different seasons, but from what i know there are at least two named hybrids of the two species, Haemanthus clarkei and Haemanthus 'King Albert'.
On December 18th, 2012, eliasastro added the following:

In this webpage you can find many specialized bulb sellers from around the world. The best is to compare prices before buying: http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Sources
Positive bostonbound2
Boxford, MA
September 29, 2011
Wide selection of rare and unusual bulbs. Packing is exceptional.
Bulbs are good size, and very healthy. A must for the specialist.
Positive monocotyledon
Wellington, FL
September 18, 2011
This company is the best bulb company in the world!
They ship healthy quality bulbs!
I live in Hot and Humid ZONE 10 and I still can grow these temperate climate bulbs...... Thanks to my "WINE CHILLER"
I guess weather is not an issue for me!
Positive Hostafarian
Etna, CA
October 25, 2007
This company is a plant collectors dream. They even provide pics and info for plants currently out of stock, which makes me hopeful that they will be available the next year. Isn't that what plant growing is all about? Anticipation for the next year. Hope that things will grow and look better than they did this year. Waiting impatiently to see new plants that went in the previous fall. Saving the best for last, the plants are well grown and sized as stated.
Positive Ispahan
Chicago, IL (Zone 6a)
March 19, 2005
I was a bit wary of placing an order with this company since I had never ordered from overseas before, but they were offering several rare bulbs that I could not find elsewhere and so I decided to take a chance. Wow, am I ever happy I did! This company truly provides excellent service and my bulbs arrived at my doorstep (in Chicago, Illinois) in wonderful condition. Not only that, but they were some of the healthiest, most robust bulbs of the type I had ever seen before. I will not hesitate to order from this company again in the future.
Positive neodana
Indian Trail, NC
March 1, 2005
Top quality rare and unusal plants that thrive.

thanks
Positive kirsitn
(Zone 6b)
October 29, 2004
High prices, but a very nice assortment of rare plants which can not be found anywhere else (at least not in Europe). Ordered many different bulbs and all arrived in excellent condition.
On April 15th, 2005, kirsitn added the following:

Spring has finally arrived, and I'm happy to see that all the bulbs I bought are coming up nicely, except for Nomocharis and Trillium, which are known to be late. All the fall blooming Crocuses I bought have survived the winter even though we had a period with temperatures down to -14 degrees Celsius and no snow cover to insulate the poor bulbs.
Positive Iann
Manchester
United Kingdom
July 5, 2003
The best quality bulbs (and bulb-like plants) you will ever find. Prices range from fairly high for things that some other companies have, to outrageous for the really rare stuff. Worth every penny for the best bulbs and the best service. Check out the web site, it will make you drool, superb pictures and very informative. They ship worldwide, but the postage and certification costs can be high.
Positive Baa
February 22, 2003
The web site is one of my favourites, good photos and information on almost all the plants they stock plus some good photo galleries and links.

I put in my order via the site which was easy and the superbly packed, healthy bulbs were in my hot little hands just 4 days later. Excellent service!

The plants and bulbs may seem a little on the expensive side and I did a lot of comparisons. While the prices are around midrange with some cheap, others reasonably expensive, their postage and packing costs (certianly within the UK) are nominal and brought the total costs to lower than the cheapest nurseries I could find with the same plants.

A definite high recommendation for this one from me, superb, healthy plants, a great service and in an affordable price range for the type of plants they have too!

Positive AngelFrost025
La Place, LA
January 7, 2003
Excellent!!! I ordered a couple of the "Tecophilea" bulbs about two years ago. I was a little nervous, being a beginner and all (these bulbs aren't recommended for amateurs),but they arrived promt, fresh, & well packaged! I did my part (provided the bulbs with proper light, water, & soil) and they bloomed right when they were supposed to! I was impressed and will continue to order from this company!
Positive pokerino
Little Rock, AR
February 21, 2002
Don't hesitate to order from Paul Christian just because they're in Wales. Last fall I received the most wonderful Galanthus bulbs from them. They were a fall blooming variety and had already sprouted leaves. The little bulbs were carefully packed in small plastic bags with a little fine peat and were the freshest looking bulbs I've received from anyone. If you're interested in unusual hardy bulbs, especially species Tulips, Crocus, Galanthus, Colchicum and Lilies, there is no better source. They are a little expensive. Everything is priced per bulb but last year shipping to the U.S. was only 10% of the order total.
Positive SiberianIris
Paducah, KY (Zone 6a)
February 19, 2002
I ordered some hard to find Hepatica's from here last year
and they were packed well and healthy. I am glad
to report they are now coming up and can't wait to see
how pretty they are in a month.