The scoop on 'Cottage Farms'

Cottage Farms

9960 Padgett Switch Road
Irvington, Alabama 36544 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-593-3644

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive VanGarden
Thibodaux, LA (Zone 9a)
May 14, 2014
I ordered 3 re blooming German irises from QVC /Cottage Farms less than two weeks ago.
I received them Monday. Very large and healthy plants.
Fast service and very satisfied with my shipment of plants.
Negative FirstTimePA
Milford, PA
May 4, 2014
Posted on June 8, 2012, updated May 4, 2014
Posted on June 4, 2012, updated June 8, 2012
I ordered minature roses. The presentation made me believe I was going to get six beautiful plants. They sent the roses out too early and they were dead. They replaced them with dried out sticks. You might be wondering why I gave them a neutral rating because customer service has improved greatly and I really believe they tried.

They were not happy to hear people where joking about the sticks I planted and they wanted to know where I bought them.
On June 8th, 2012, FirstTimePA changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I am changing my rating to Positive. This company did everything they could to send me a product that was alive. Customer service was great. The plants are tiny but ALIVE!

This company proved to me it stands behind the product!
On May 4th, 2014, FirstTimePA changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I tried this company one more time. I bought everblooming daylilies and three out of six bloomed, once not the whole summer as stated on QVC. I asked them to replace them with Dianthus. The Dianthus arrived dead. The company said that they sat in a UPS hub. Plants that are healthy should not die in a week! This is not the only problem last year I order sunpatiens, they were not only dead but soaking wet. I feel very cheated by this company and what you see on TV is not what I received!
Negative squirley
Southeast, NC
March 11, 2014
Sister ordered Tropical Hibiscus tree March 29th,213. She put it in our sunroom over the winter in sunlight. The tree is completely dead. Brown under bark. No green anywhere. Ordered thru QVC. She had me to contact Cottage Farms. Customer service said that the tree was only guaranteed for 90 days and they would not replace it. Said it was past the 90 day period. The cost total was $47.73. Phillip did not say it was only guaranteed for 90 days. That's ridiculous for such an expensive tree. Phillip said if we are not happy then they are not happy. I want trust them in the future.
Negative pinkelephants
Mission Bend, TX
September 1, 2013
Posted on June 21, 2013, updated September 1, 2013
Sorry for the length of this story, but the sequence of events demands it. Never order the Blue Bird Rose of Sharon tree that you see Phillip raving about on QVC. I have ordered this plant over the past five years and have yet to receive even one blue tree. They send pinks and lavenders galore, but no blues. Cottage Farms convinced me in 2012 that four blue replacement trees would be forthcoming if I waited until the next season. In the following year (now) and after waiting months for the four blue trees to bloom, GUESS WHAT? They had sent FOUR LAVENDER ALTHEAS (I left the Blue Bird labels on the trees just for kicks!). When I reported this to Cottage Farms, they implored me to wait another year for the real blue replacements. I declined this offer and requested them to send the trees now so that I would not have to wait another year just to discover that the order was still wrong. YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS! They sent me just one tree instead of four. I won't know for a month if it's blue or not. I thought I was being "punked." This had to be a joke! So silly me, I called them back just to be told to wait YET ANOTHER YEAR for the remaining three blue replacements. Really?! I was sitting on my couch laughing hysterically about the total disregard of this customer and still believing that I was being "punked", when I received a call from customer service at CF with the rep. saying that she had spoken with her supervisor. And because of all of the mishaps (which I call incompetence and disregard), Cottage Farms had reconsidered and would send the three blue replacements THIS YEAR! Imagine that! I was overjoyed, to say the least, and relieved that I would not have to write a scathing review of CF based on my horrible but true experiences. They were sending the 3 trees that day! After waiting for more than a week, I called CF back to get a tracking number since the trees had not arrived as promised. YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS--the CF rep. that had spoken with her supervisor had "checked the wrong box" and had actually scheduled the replacement trees for 2014 instead of now, according to the present CF rep. This person apologized and said that I would be receiving the blue trees in about a week. SO LET'S TAKE BETS! Will Cottage Farms finally send the 3 Blue Bird Rose of Sharons next week? Will the one tree that's already planted TURN OUT TO BE BLUE? Tune in for the latest update on this Cottage Farms Blue Bird fiasco. I'll be posting.

On September 1st, 2013, pinkelephants added the following:

Mystery solved. Finally I received all four trees. After three months of waiting for the alleged Bluebird Rose of Sharon hibiscus trees to bloom, three of them produced puny lavender blooms and one didn't bloom at all! Absolutely true. It's painfully obvious to me that Cottage Farms is advertising that beautiful blue tree without actually growing it. Since I have ordered it repeatedly all of these years and listened to their endless excuses about why it's never arrived, that's the logical conclusion. Adios, Cottage Farms.
Neutral curlyjoe1967
Marshfield, WI
June 21, 2013
The same thing happened to a friend of mine. She ordered the blue rose of Sharon, but got the pink one. When she got her replacement the next season, after waiting for it to bloom , it turned out to be pink again. She said screw it and never ordered from them again.
Negative watchdogal
East Hartford, CT
May 18, 2013
Most of the time if you purchase an item and it arrived DOA they will replace it with some other item (they claim is similar) . You never get a replacement for what you ordered. Last year I bought a 2-pack of Crape Myrtles Trees(Velma's Royal) off QVC and they sent 2 completely different plants...when I notified them after they started growing it was obvious one was a bush and another a possible tree. I sent them pictures of the two and they didn't even know what they were but promised to replace them the following year as it was too late (summer just started) to send the replacements now. So here it is 2013 and they send out 2 bushes of another type Crape Myrle.....not even close to the trees I ordered......this happens most of the time with replacements....I've had it with them and don't believe what PHIL tells you on QVC about wanting to make you happy with your order....you never know what you paid for! This also happened with the Pink Grasses and a day-lily collection 2 years before......always getting what you didn't ask for...or pay for..
Negative rosepetal2
Danvers, MA
May 15, 2013
Posted on May 14, 2013, updated May 15, 2013
I've been an avid QVC customer for years and do enjoy the convenience and quality of products I've ordered from them. After watching Cottage Farms for several years, I finally decided to order a number of items $400 worth this 2013 spring. Quality from Cottage Farms is a crap shoot. It depends when your order is processed and shipped. I live Z6 so my shipments are in the middle of their entire orders. For items received promptly, the quality was great and I was pleased. However, the later into the season they get, the quality wanes substantially to the point that starters, plugs and liners seem to replace the plant ordered. IMHO I believe Cottage Farms is greedy and does not turn down a sale. Even if that means sending a 1-1/2" plug and calling it 4" pot. Bare root trees and roses are also iffy...they actually sent me a bare root rose with a 3" dia stem, 6" bud union and two 1-1-1/2" canes. The rose was likely 5-6 years old. Problem was the roots some as large as 3/4" dia were all cut within 6" from the crown. Who do they actually think they are fooling? I've had good luck with their daylilies, but again a search of the internet and you'll find more mature roots at either same or lower price. As far as their hydrangeas are concerned...liners I bought from a grower were more mature than the cuttings I received. Imaging a big leaf with near normal size bloom on a 6" cutting with frail immature roots. Hardly could I expect them to survive. Replacements? Yes, courteous replacements. Problem here is they ship replacements AT THE END of their sales season and you end up with immature or leftover plants. It got to the point that the cost of outrageously small plants was unacceptable and QVC refunded $180 on my complaints. Bottom line...never again.
On May 15th, 2013, rosepetal2 added the following:

JonathanCFD
Mobile, AL

Tue, May 14, 2013
12:12 PM
Hi rosepetal2,

I'm sorry to see you had problems with your purchases from Cottage Farms. Please contact our customer service department (888-593-3644) and we'll do our best to make sure you receive plants that are up to your standards.

Thanks!

Jonathan
rosepetal2
Danvers, MA

Wed, May 15, 2013
02:24 PM
Hi Jonathan I appreciate your attempt to resolve any of my issues. But several of the problems continued even with replacements. I have wasted time, energy and the use of my money to purchase your plants, especially near the end of the ship season. It is inexcusable that you send 1-1/2" plugs, liners or starters for plants advertised as more mature. I purchased my entire landscape over the past couple of years online from growers and not one tried to pass of such skimpy sprigs as living plants. In fact I just received replacements for fire and ice hydrangea for 2012 purchase that did not make the winter. Those replacements had NO BRANCHING, the main stem was 1/4" diameter with a near full size leaf. Are you telling me that's not a cutting that had been rooted for several weeks? this year I also purchased Russian sage and lavender from you via QVC. The lavender had been drenched prior to shipment and the poor little sprigs arrived DOA. the Russian sage were barely 1-1/2" high and when transplanting it was obvious they were 1-1/2 plugs placed in a 4" sq pot. I cannot afford to continue to do business with you - even for replacements. I do not have a greenhouse nor do I care to cultivate immature plants. Like I said in my review, its a crap shoot to do business with you folks. Some of my plants were fantastic some were embarrassing. I really don't want to waste any further growing season with such inconsistent quality. In spring 2012 I purchased two fire and ice hydrangeas and four twist and shout hydrangeas. All six were frail plants that I nursed in containers for the summer and transplanted in September. I composted and mulched them like all other hydrangeas, roses and clematis. Only your plants were the worst to pull through. My observation is that they were very immature plants when received in May 2012. The size of the surviving four twist and shout hydrangeas this year are what I would have expected LAST YEAR. I run a Garden Services business and am a knowledgeable gardener. My observations of your stock are accurate. This late in the season any replacements from you would likely be fresh starts. Sorry, no thank you.
Positive hmbell3
Huntingdon, PA
April 29, 2013
I've ordered several items from Cottage Farms, both directly and through QVC, over the past few years. All my plant are beautiful!

Many of the negative and comments I've read, on this site and other sites, tend to suggest buying local "because you know what you're getting". I feel you should buy local if that works for you, but in my area, retailers make it tough to do. (Not just the nurseries. We remodeled our kitchen and had to buy online, too.) And it's really unfortunate, but the nurseries are expensive and don't stand behind what they sell here and there is very little variety.

We had a bad experience buying a Weeping Charry Tree a few years back. It died within a couple months. The nursery would only give us a percentage off a new tree if we brought the dead one back. I'm not sure how the problem had been resolved (if it even did get resolved), but there is no cherry tree on our property.

2 years ago I purchased a Reblooming Weeping Lilac Tree from Cottage Farms that was to have lavendar blooms. When it bloomed, the flowers were white. I called Cottage Farms to ask if this white tree was a rebloomer because that's what I was the reason I bought the tree. I wasn't so concerned about the color. The customer service person just automatically sent me a new one. I didn't have to return the tree, I didn't have to accept only a percentage off another of the same, etc. I believe I was offered a full refund had I wanted one.

I will continue to order from Cottage Farms and other mail-order companies because of the guarantees and the selections. Most of the yards in town (although very pretty) have the same ol' flowers, but my yard is unique. I love that!

The only thing I have to complain about, is that shipping costs have gone up over the past 2-3 years, but I think they all have. What hasn't gone up???
Negative BenjaminBunny
Allentown, PA
January 22, 2013
I bought several items from Cottage Farms through QVC - petunias, flower garden combinations, Red Hydrangeas, and double minipetunias. Most of the flowers came squashed and brown. I worked at a greenhouse for a couple years when younger. There is no way they are telling me those plants were sent healthy. I called QVC to complain, and they fully refunded me. The petunias were never denim and coral as stated. They were just regular purple and red and could have been bought at the local greenhouse. The red hydrangeas hardly grew and never bloomed. The flower garden combinations were the worst with just one flower growing out of the garden. The minipetunias came around the best. I will never buy from Cottage Farms again. I will watch them on QVC to see what is new for the season and then look for it from someone else who is reliable.
Neutral lemonjn
South Charleston, OH
April 26, 2012
This is the first time I have ordered from Cottage Farms. I ordered the 6 piece butterfly pincushion collection. One of the plants is in good shape but the other five had yellow and brown leaves and looked like one had a bud but was broken off before it was put in the box. I went ahead and planted them because I have a family emergency and had to leave to go out of state for a week. I hope they survive they were so pretty on the QVC presentation.
Positive djara
Greenville, NC
April 4, 2012
Over the yrs I have ordered many plants from Cottage Farms via QVC. I have never had a problem with anything I ordered.

My favorite plants are my Angel Trumpets. If there is anything below a novice gardener, that's what I was when I got it. I just knew I kill them. They were grew like crazy the first yr and when the weather started to get cold, I was scared. I had lost the growing guide & couldn't remember how to "winter" my darlings. I called Cottage Farm directly & they told me how to do it & even told me how to make cuttings! Now 5 yrs later, not only do I have several Angel Trumpets, so do some of my neighbors & my family! All from the first 2 plants I received!!!

Keep up the good work, Cottage Farms!!!!
Negative hardyinokc
Oklahoma City, OK
April 2, 2012
Posted on July 20, 2011, updated April 2, 2012
Spring 2011 I ordered a re-blooming daylily collection via QVC (paid between $40 & $50 including shipping). The plants are alive, but the ones that have bloomed thus far are NOT the same colors that were shown on QVC. If you are wanting daylilies, do NOT order them from Cottage Farms; from now on I'll order all my daylilies from Oakes Daylilies (they send the CORRECT plants that are about 3 times the size of the ones from Cottage Farms for comparable prices).
On April 2nd, 2012, hardyinokc added the following:

After posting my previous posting, Cottage Farms did send replacement daylilies, which arrived last week. They were OK size-wise & seemed healthy (for the most part), but some of the daylilies in the box did not match up with the plants listed on the invoice. I appreciate them sending replacement plants, but it would sure be nice to receive the plants that were actually ordered.
Negative catsumrs
Meriden, CT
August 20, 2011
When I first ordered from this company I started with 4 trees, weeping cherries and they weren't cheap.
2 were dried upsticks and the other 2, the tops were broken off, which is the important part of this tree.
I didn't bother to phone and ask for replacements, I figured it would just be more of the same. When you have live plants roaming the USA in a box for 7 days or more, I'm not surprised they are dead.
This year I ordered the bulbs called 4'Oclocks,,,, I got 2 sets and I think it was something like 10 bulbs in a set. I put them all above my stonewall in front of the house and I must say, BEAUTIFUL! I have so many I transplanted some to the window boxes as well...
I think bulbs are a safer way to go with this company..
Positive kmo727
Shawnee Mission, KS
May 31, 2011
I have been purchasing plants from Cottage Farms for more than 10 years; first through QVC, then directly through Cottage Farms' online site. The company has always provided me with excellent customer service and reasonable prices for quality trees, shrubs, flowers and vegetables. When, upon occasion, a plant arrives that is either in poor shape or already dead, I can conveniently e-mail them and request a new one or equal replacement at no cost to me. I did just that this spring, when a small blue Wisteria tree I purchased last year did not bud out this year. Within 7 business days from my e-mail, I have received a replacement Wisteria...no questions asked. I just provided my order # from last year (save your receipt!) and they gladly replaced it. They have always provided quality products and great service. People need to accept the fact that shipping plants can sometimes kill them, and they will need to realize they may need to request replacement plants. If the replacements are poor as well, don't give up! Cottage Farms WILL make it right!
Negative jojopal
Branford, CT
May 15, 2011
Hydrangea Sub-Zero Garden Party is what I ordered from QVC. I was to receive 3 healthy plants. What I got was 2 small plants that were nothing like the ones they showed on QVC and 1 dead plant. QVC/Cottage Farms did send me 1 replacement plant but that too was dead upon arrival. What a disappointment. Luckily for me, QVC gave me a full refund.

Pink Grass is what my aunt ordered from QVC. She gave one plant to me and it looks brown and dead. I planted it, but it still looks brown and dead. Again a big disappointment.
Next time I will purchase items like this from my local nursery.
Negative Gotrobbed
Houston, TX
April 20, 2011
I implore you not to deal with this company! I bought the climbing rose trio through QVC. They show you during their dynamic presentation, 3 robust, fully rooted small plants that you can expect to receive from them. I was horrified to find 3 dead, wilted twigs beyond return. A stick in dirt. I called Cottage Farms and they replaced them with 3 limp sticks in dirt, again dead as doornails. I called QVC for a refund. By the way, I did call to see when then the replacements were to arrive, and the employee at Cottage Farms was extremely rude. The presentation on QVC is totally bogus as far as merchandise and professional attitude!
Company representative comment on April 21, 2011:
On Apr 21, 2011 7:48 AM, Cottage Farms responded with:

We apologize that you received two shipments that were not up to our quality standards. I can assure you that they were not shipped in this condition. Also, I want to let you know that we want all of our customers to enjoy their experience with Cottage Farms and our Customer Service team and will follow up with the CSR with whom you spoke. A manager will be glad to speak with you in hopes of improving your experience so please contact us at 1-888-593-3644 or email us directly. Again, accept our apology for your unpleasant experience.

Positive homesteadgirl
middle TN, TN
March 15, 2011
I have bought hundreds of plants from Cottage Farms over the years. Even though I have had some problems with some plants, they are the best at responding to my e-mails and replacing the plants during the warranty period. I will continue to order from them and I hope they bring in some new plants that I haven't purchased already.
Neutral srajhart
Moroni, UT
July 19, 2010
From QVC I bought the chefs choice tomato package and the pink cotton candy grass. On the air they looked very hardy and healthy. On their arrival the pink grass was brown with and dry. The instructions stated that this is normal and that they would green up shortly after planting. Of the six plants three made it. They are not thriving by any means but they did " GREEN UP ".
The chefs tomato group arrived wilted but green. They were planted in a topsey turvry planter and four of the plants are doing very well.
Two of the plants just didn't stand a chance they died a quick death.
I did not notify Cottage Farms. Because of QVCs guarantee I notified them and a partial refund was credited to my account.
Neutral ksm25143
Hurricane, WV
July 13, 2010
Ordered from this company for 2 years in a row from QVC - last year I was totally thrilled and this year - I was not - this year plants arrived way too fragile and I babied them and they still died - bulbs did not come up and I called them and they replaced them but they still did not come up - will not order from them again.
Positive capozziello
East Hampton, CT
June 16, 2010
I ordered hedge roses, tree roses, strawberries, hibiscus,lilies,and clematis. Alot of what I bought was not in great condition but I called the company and they replaced what needed to be replaced and everything is growing great, except for the hibiscus. It still has not come up but overall I am happy with everything else. I would definitely buy roses from them again. The tree roses have bloomed and have the most fragrant blooms and they are gorgeous.
Negative Diane6191950
Bristol, PA
May 14, 2010
Posted on May 3, 2010, updated May 14, 2010
I placed an order last night on their website for the mint julep rose which was still working the other night.Today when I went to check the order status I could not reach their website as they appear to be no longer in business.I also tried calling their phone number but it has been disconnected.It appears to me that theyhave gone out of business with no way to reach them.
On May 14th, 2010, Diane6191950 added the following:

I finally recieved my order but of couse they messed it up.I ordered 2 mint julep roses but instead recieved 1 mint julep and 1 curly pink rose.I did not want a substitution on my order.I want specifically what I ordered.They still owe me my other mint julep rose.
Company representative comment on May 3, 2010:
On May 3, 2010 1:46 PM, Cottage Farms responded with:

As a representative of Cottage Farms, I can assure you that we are open for business as usual. Our toll-free number is 1-888-593-3644 and our website is http://www.cottagefarmsdirect.com. To my knowledge, our website did not experience downtime yesterday; however, there may be short periods of time the site may be down when routine maintenance is being performed. Please be sure and contact us at our toll-free number or at our website with any questions or concerns you may have.

Positive joycerogers0713
Wiggins, MS (Zone 8b)
April 30, 2010
I just received my order of 6 Pink Muhly Grass from Cottage Farms. They arrived only 4 days after ordering them on QVC. I must say I was surprised at how well they were packaged, and how beautiful and healthy all 6 plants were. The plants averaged $4.87 each and I was expecting tiny plugs. NOT SO!! The foliage had been cut back to about 10" and the root systems were awsome. I am very pleased! They will definately get my repeat business.
Negative crash69
Buffalo, NY (Zone 5a)
April 23, 2010
Three years ago I purchased what was supposed to be a magnolia tree. I paid about 35 plus shipping for a stick that was supposed to grow into a tree in 3 to 5 years. Well it looks like a 3+ foot bush & every spring it flowers. But all the flowers get brown spots before they fully open.I wanted a tree but got a disappointing bush. I won't order from there again
Negative acddemilner
South Bend, IN
April 21, 2010
I ordered Hardy Hibiscus in April 2009 but they did not bloom. They were replaced in late Summer and I was told to "be patient", they would return in 2010. They are as dead now as they were last year and now because it is beyond one year from the original order, they write: We do offer a one-time, one-year (from date of original shipment) plant warranty. Unfortunately, your order has already been replaced and we will not be able to send you another replacement.

I think I was sent tropical Hibiscus and of course they will not grow here in Zone 5.
Neutral SwampMaidenFL
Kissimmee, FL
April 16, 2010
My husband and I purchased a set of Daylilies from CF on QVC of which we were led to believe that these lilies will grow thick and fill the yard with lots of blooms. These easy to grow lilies were recommended for those who really don't know how to garden. They should have been able to grow anywhere. Living in Central Florida I thought they would grow. We planted them exactly according to directions after they arrived. At first it took weeks but then some greenry appeared , all but one came out of the ground with only two of them bearing single bloom later on. We were sent a replacement without any results as well. As of today April 2010, nothing is happening with these daylilies. It's spring and still no greenry has shown from the bulbs. I am so dissapointed since I could have had something of size to add to our garden with the price $28.00 not including the S&H .
We decided not to purchase from CF again.
Positive drummerfro
Daphne, AL
June 10, 2009
My wife ordered 3 tree roses through QVC while recovering from surgery in April. They came in just fine and now are full of beautiful blooms and growing like crazy! Funny thing is we only live 20 miles from Cottage Farms and didn't know that they were coming from there! They had a plant sale last weekend and the same tree roses we bought from QVC at $49.00 a piece were only $4.00 on Saturday! As a matter of fact, their entire inventory was under $10.00! Must have been 300-400 people buying up everything in sight... We bought $79.00 worth of stuff that would have cost several hundreds of dollars. Might be worth a drive next year for some of you...
Positive robbylyn
Gautier, MS
June 6, 2009
I purchased a Marie Osmond, St. Joseph's Coat and an Heirloom Roses from QVC and they are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! All bloomed 30 + roses that lasted up to 4 wks. I planted them in pots and since they 've bloomed and had a good trimming, within 2 wks they have 4" growth and are about to bloom again! They have the best fragrance! When you see them again, try one, I recommend highly. RLK
P.S. I purchased these roses in mid April of 09!
Positive vo2727
Winchester, VA
May 15, 2009
I've ordered many plants from Cottage Farms--both through QVC and their website. I've ordered several types of roses--all of which are planted all in pots because I don't get enough sun in the yard. Some, but not all, of the 12 minature rose plants died after planting. I requested replacements for 3 on the website and, lo and behold, they sent me 12 replacement roses--not just the 3 I lost. They stay outside in pots over the winter (I live in North-Western Virginia). This is the 3rd year for them and they're already blooming. I've also several other plants, including lilies and hybiscus. The first year the hybiscus they didn't do alot, but last year they were all gorgeous and they all have shoots again this year. The oriental lilies were beautiful the first year out and the day lilies get better each year (I got replacements for some of those as well). They get an A from me for customer service and a B for quality of their plants.
Negative davisnfig
Tacoma, WA
May 5, 2009
Over the years I have order pre-seeded mats. A Jasmine plant, strawberry plants and herbs. I have NEVER got anything to grow or even live from cottage farms. Check around Cottage farms does not have a good approval rating and there is a reason!
Positive joanandwalter
Nottingham, MD
April 14, 2009
Last spring I ordered the mini rose collection from QVC-cottage Farms.They arrived as scheduled and were healthy. I planted them in containers but they did not survive the winter here in Maryland. I called Cottage Farms and without any hassle they agreed to send me replacements. My experience with Cottage Farms in the past has also been very positive. I will continue to order from this company.
Negative marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ (Zone 6b)
April 11, 2009
I got my order today. I must say I am very disappointed in the size of the plants considering the price I payed. I got 3 carpet rose's and each was about 3 inches tall. The cost was $39.99. At that price I was expecting a plant at least 6-8 inches tall not 3 inches. The gaillardia was 14.99 for 3 plants that I guess was not bad, they were too 3 inches tall. The Lantana tree is a good size but had some broken branches.The daylily's had some good roots, so they were nice. I was mostly disappointed in the rose's. I feel that they were too small for the price. This is my last time of ordering from them.
On April 27th, 2009, marie_kap changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I am changing my comment to negative. The plants are so small that they are struggling to survive. The patio lantana died soon after planting. It looked almost dead when I got it. The roses are so small that it will take many years to grow to any kind of bush. They are over priced and have bad plants. Their responce to my complaint was that small plants recover faster. Not a good answer when I have bought and recived other larger plants that have done very well. I am asking for a refund and not a replacement. I can get many plants from my local garden center for that $120.00.
Do not buy from this site.
Negative rhettdog
Jefferson, GA
March 29, 2009
I ordered 5 Garden Hibiscus plants from CF through QVC and one was broken upon arrival. I called QVC customer service and explained the problem. A replacement is on the way. It took all of 3 minutes, no questions asked. I will follow-up later w/ how they are growing!!
On May 2nd, 2009, rhettdog changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

A follow-up on the Garden Hibiscus plants. Sorry to say...all five, plus the replacement...died. You would think one of the 6 would have made it past a month. Thankfully, I was refunded the entire amount I paid.
Positive Patt52
Rydal, GA (Zone 7b)
March 22, 2009
I have ordered from this company before and have always
had good service and healthy plants arrive to my home. I placed an order for 3 Butterfly bushes in November to arrive this Spring. I just received them a couple of days ago. They
are very strong rooted plants and I can't wait to watch them
grow and attract all the butterflies. I did have to call them one time because the Hibiscus that I ordered didn't perform well,
but they replaced them all. I would recommend this company
to anyone!
Positive bamabecky
Destin, FL
March 15, 2009
so far that is. last year i purchased a blue rose of sharon hibiscus tree from cottage farms through qvc. i did not plant it soon enough and it never came out of dormancy. i completely forgot about the replacement policy until december at which time i contacted cottage farms. i was told that they would replace the tree at no cost to me and would send it at the appropriate planting time. again, i forgot about it until low and behold i came home from work last wednesday and it was here. it came with bare roots that were still damp and there are buds all over the branches. i will keep you posted on how it fairs.
Neutral 17decker
Grand Junction, CO
March 4, 2009
Spring of 2008 I order three tree roses, three Rose of Sharon, 6 Hydrangeas and the only ones that seem to still be alive are the Rose of Sharons.
I have emailed Cottage Farms and replacements for the tree roses and Hydrangeas are on their way. Honestly I found that ordering through QVC they leed you to beleive the plant will grow in almost any light etc. When in fact the Hydrangeas are very picky. Please take caution when ordering through them to do your home work and know what requirements the plant needs, because I was miss lead.

On April 14th, 2009, 17decker added the following:

Well, the replacement order arrived and the rose trees look to be in good condition, although they are not they same as what I had order originally. The Hydrangeas also not what my original order was, three seem to also be in good condition but the other three might not make it.
This is why my rating remains Neutral
On April 14th, 2009, 17decker added the following:

This is why my rating remains Neutral
Negative Chezca
Hayward (Z8b-9a), CA (Zone 8b)
September 10, 2008
So far, I'm happy with Cottage Farms... Eventhough ALL of the 50-piece strawberries died (oh I got ONE strawberry fruit at least!). They did, however refunded my money back which was cool. And the heirloom tomatoes- some lived but the tomatoes were the size of big GRAPES so I was very disappointed and I told them. Again, they promise to replace them next season which is awesome. Now on to the asiatic lilies, one word: A-FREAKIN-MAZING! :) I've NEVER gardened before, ever! When I got the lilies in April08, I had to put them in those blue plastic party cups just because I had nowhere to plant them and plus we were moving in a couple of months. They started sprouting in a week and by the time we're moved in, I transplanted them in our new backyard and voila! They shot up to almost 30" and started flowering in mid-June and every morning was a surprise! Especially when the huge white lilies started unfolding! We took pictures of our "babies" just to show off :) (even my husband got into gardening because of these wonderful plants). But alas, they have started to yellow from the bottom leaves up. I guess they're getting ready for dormancy? I also got the sub-zero roses and those have bloomed and re-bloomed like crazy. My hubby thought I was crazy buying these "sticks" until they started to leaf and bloom :). One plant I'm very wary of are their hydrangeas- they're VERY weak and annoying to grow (brittling leaves and almost no growth). I just ordered their black, yellow, pink, and white tulips for this fall planting season and I can't wait to work on those. Also ordered lily-of-the-valley and that one's a scratcher because we just got a puppy and it's supposed to be poisonous (the lily not the puppy:))? Anyway, just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. Not every plant is going to perform the way they show them on tv, as long as they make good on their refund/replacement and have wonderful customer service- there's nothing that can't be fixed, right? Compromise people and happy gardening! :)
On July 8th, 2009, Chezca changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I am now changing it to negative. Mainly because QUITE A NUMBER of the plants I ordered did not grow true to form. My oranges and lemons grew to be just a plain yellow daisy. The shasta daisies are riddled with "fascination", the calla lilies aren't blooming AT ALL this year (very stunted growth), and the only thing doing ok are my asiatic/oriental lilies. VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH COTTAGE FARMS.

As for the replacements, they were the wrong plants on two instances.
On July 8th, 2009, Chezca added the following:

I have now switched to Bluestone Perennials, High Country Gardens, and Annie's. So far so good but have not ordered anything from Annie's because I'm planning on going to their nursery myself.
Neutral HostaLily
Florence, SC (Zone 8a)
July 13, 2008
I have ordered from Cottage Farms and have had neutral success.

I have ordered the iris plants, I had some flowers, not many. And yes, they are planted correctly, along with other iris that I have purchased and traded with neighbors.

QVC had a sampler this past spring that I ordered. The mini roses never grew, the gladiolas are ok but not great, the daylilies are very small.....actually I did not think they would grow at all...the roots were very dry.

I did order one of the rose trees as well. This actually has grown for me and flowered, but I expected more.
Positive selmasoo
Ravenswood, WV (Zone 6a)
June 26, 2008
We had purchased a TREE ROSE 36" NOVELTY BI-COLORED from Cottage Farms several weeks before Mother's Day, which was a gift to me from my husband and daughter. When it arrived, though a *little* later than expected, it looked quite healthy. It has now been a little over two months since we planted it and it is full of buds and some beautiful bright pink and white swirled blooms! Great price we paid also ~ just $17.99,(on sale). Couldn't be happier! =)
Positive Etelka
Youngstown, OH
June 17, 2008
Cottage Farms has replaced a rose tree within a timely manner and has reponded immediately to a DOA plant order. One was ordered through QVC and the other direct. I will continue purchasing from them.
Negative paulnelissa
Cincinnati, OH
June 14, 2008
My husband and I wanted a weeping pussy willow tree for our yard. We found that both Spring Hill Nursery and Cottage Farm Direct (not through QVC). The tree was half the price at Cottage Farm, so we ordered it. My credit card is charged immediately. The website stated that they needed 14 days to process the order.
I waited and waited and waited. Finally, when the 14 days has passed, I email the customer service department. Two days later, I get an email saying that my order is currently being packed and will ship in 2 days.
Two days later, I get another email saying that the items I ordered are no longer in stock. I call the customer service department.
I tell the woman what happened. She expresses disbelief and places me on hold. Then, she comes back on the line and says that this really happened. They'll refund my credit card. I ask her if I can file a complaint. She says she doesn't think so. I hang up.
I decide I need to speak with a supervisor. I call back and am placed on hold for 20 minutes. While I am on hold, the supervisor calls me. I explain again what happened. He pulls up my account and says, "Yep. We oversold the product. We waited too long to fill your order and then ran out. This happens all the time. Sorry."
I tell him that this is really unacceptable. He says, "Well, we'll refund your credit card. So, do you need anything else?"
I tell him I will never order from them again.

I wouldn't be so mad if I could order this plant elsewhere. But, everywhere else is out of stock. I know this because all of their websites say this. They don't let you order something that can't send you.