The scoop on 'Bonsai Boy of New York'

Bonsai Boy of New York

7 Format Lane
Smithtown, New York 11787 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-790-2763

Comments:

Negative President
Arlington, VA
June 16, 2014
The item that was purchased was a higher priced item. The company never shipped the item but rather wanted me to concede to accepting a lesser item. On top of that, they did not refund the price of the item. Those doing business with them should not expect honorable service.
Positive mastant
Clemson, SC
January 30, 2013
So far, I have had a positive experience with this company. I ordered a tree about a week and a half ago and received a prompt reply from the company requesting that I call them about my order. I did so and the person I talked to (I can not recall the name unfortunately) informed me that the temperatures were going to be below freezing that week and that the tree I ordered (Flowering Brush Cherry Bonsai Tree - Small, an Australian tropical plant) would likely die due to the low temperatures if they sent it out when I ordered it. He said they would like to send it the next week when the weather was supposed to be better, which I extremely appreciated, being a beginner to this art. Thank you for that!

I would also like to point out two words from the second to last sentence there: "beginner" and "art." It seems like many people who had negative experiences with this company were beginners as well who didn't realize that bonsai is an art. They complained that their trees died quickly and that they were treated badly when they blamed the company they bought from. If you buy a bonsai tree from a company, it can be assumed that either you are an idiot, or you believe them to be experts on the art. Also, if you are a beginner, it is highly unlikely that you will be the perfect owner to your plant when you first start off. If your tree is not doing so hot, instead of blaming the company you trusted to be experienced, why not call them to ask what you might be doing wrong? Why not ask the people you have trusted as experts for some tips? Instead these people have called with nothing but blame and insults. I completely understand why they might not be treated so well. I can't think of a time I have ever insulted someone about something they were an expert on and gotten a pleasant response.

The tree I ordered arrived (as per tracking that I received) today, and looks beautiful. Doesn't look the exact same as the plant in the picture, and came with a different pot, but it is clearly the same plant and I actually prefer the pot it came in. I highly doubt it will stay as beautiful for long, because unlike others I realize that I am a beginner and will make mistakes, but I can assure you that instead of calling with complaints I will be asking for advice.
Positive Ben_A2
Jamaica, NY
December 22, 2012
Went into Bonsai Boy today to get a gift for a friend. My dad endded up coming with me. First off, I will say, even for the weather and it being winter, their stock was impressive. Mark was very friendly and informative and gave us all the time we needed to look at what they had. He wasnt pushy at all. My dad liked what he saw so much he ended up buying a tree. Mark gave us all the info we needed and wrapped the trees very well.

Besides the long drive to get there, its a great selection of trees and I would go back there again for another.
Positive junglist
Bethesda, MD
December 22, 2012
After reading the negative comments posted here I was a little apprehensive about purchasing my first tree from bonsai boy, but went ahead with it anyway, ordering a juniper for around $50 + shipping/humidity tray. I am pleased to report the aforementioned comments appear to be the work of a spammer with multiple accounts and/or neurotic neerdowells with nothing to do but post hate. The order has arrived in perfect condition. It is a beautiful tree about 6" tall that I plan to give as a gift to someone I'm sure will be as charmed by the thing as I am. Bonsai Boy is professional, fast and sells an excellent product. I would recommend them to anyone.
Positive smitty8054
Massillon, OH
December 4, 2012
Started with my first bonsai only 6 months ago (first was a gift). Now have 6 and am hooked for life. Subsequent purchases were mail order. Tried BonsaiBoy (BB) and a couple others. All purchases were great but BB has delivered on everything that was promised. Supplies were always here promptly and the trees were great. Packaged unbelievably well and looked great. In fact...the only problems with any BB trees were from my own hand. I read these comments and was hesitant but there was so much vile in a couple of these that I personally believe them to be from competitors. I took a chance and now buy almost everything from BB. My name is Bill S (not listing last name for privacy reasons) and live in Massillon, OH. I am very real and have no affiliations. I almost never write about a company...figure that is for them to do via marketing. Wrote this, frankly, because I think that a lot of the comments are skewed and don't sound fair. If they are...they are. My experience was great and would recommend them to anyone out there.
Positive us218449
Medford Lakes, NJ
August 23, 2012
Bonsai Boy's website is very easy to use. they clearly identify trees that are indoor vs. outdoor. I placed an order on Tuesday night and it arrived on Thursday morning. Packed beautifully. The tree was exactly as shown on the web site. Very responsible and ethical company. I would recommend them without reservation to anyone interested in Bonsai.
Positive joe123987
Cloverdale, CA
June 30, 2012
I recently ordered a "one of a kind" bonsai. It arrived (from New York) in California two days later and was exactly as described and looked just like the picture. What I couldn't believe was that it arrived upside down as there was nothing on the outside of the box to indicate "fragile - this side up". The good news was that the packing was so good the the bonsai was in prestine condition and all I had to do was readjust a little bit of the pea-gravel. The bonsai was very healthy and I was extremely happy with the purchase. I am going to have a stamp made for Bonsai Boy that says "FRAGILE THIS SIDE UP" and will send it to their shipping department and then I will order my second Bonsai from them.
Positive joedank256
Akron, OH
June 25, 2012
I specifically emailed the owners of bonsaiboy to see if they had a feedback section. To my surprise he linked me here, and I read a negative report?! I am very sceptical of online purchasing and don't have the income to be wasting on a little tree.....after comparing their site to others I trusted my gut and placed an order. My new Fukien tea tree has started a lifelong love of Bonsai thanks to them! They were everything I expected and then some! They had the best price on my tree, shipping was solid, timely and safe. I rarely review anyone's service because I think my payment is enough of a thank you. BonsaiBoy went so far above and beyond what I expected that i went out of my way to sign up for this site and post this. If anyone ever has questions on my experience(and more to come) shopping their site feel free to ask!
Positive pbcmbeez2
New Berlin, WI
June 8, 2012
I was really happy to see the tree I got was still green and not beat up at all from the shipping.

The pot looks really nice, and they even included a nice little rock to add to the atmosphere. The tree is also bigger than I expected.

My only complaint is that they don't have adequate descriptions of the extra things you can buy at checkout. Otherwise I would have bought the fertilizer.
Positive LoriCev
Lynbrook, NY
May 29, 2012
I was fortunate to be able to go to the nursery and pick my bonsai.

The owner's son helped me out. Really nice and fully knoledged people. The tree is beautiful . I could never get such a healthy, nice 22 years old tree anywhere for the money that I paid. They grow it from seed.
I called the place 2 before going there. The first person had an "elderly" voice. He was not helpful. The second time was someone else, he took the time with me. I told him that I lived in Long Island and he invited me to come in.

I am absolutely happy with the tree and service that I received.
Positive TiaD
San Diego, CA
May 25, 2012
great packaging and fast shipping.. Item came as described
Positive gnzcar14
Hialeah, FL
May 11, 2012
After reading a bunch of negative reviews I decided to order something to try them out anyway. So glad I did, my new tree is awesome! I love it.
Positive arabrab47
Mount Zion, IL
January 27, 2012
I have ordered several things from this company & been very pleased. Just received 3 Brush Cherries which came quickly and are beautiful & healthy!
Positive sarasotawing
Sarasota, FL
January 13, 2012
Here's the deal. I ordered a bonsai tangerine from Bonsaiboy of New York. After ordering I was searching around for care tips etc and eventually found this page which had reviews. I started to worry after reading the reviews that I wasn't going to get a very good product. I spent 110 total with fertilizer and drip tray. I ordered the product Friday and it arrived yesterday. The tree I got was taller than 12 inches and that's not including the pot. I'd say the tree is about 18 inches tall. Very green and healthy. The pot it came in is a circular pot, nice size, weight and look and has very nice soil. Even has a wooden rock looking deal in it as decoration. The way they pack it is genius, haha. It's basically a tall box just filled with styrofoam peanuts that keeps everything pretty much stable. The bottom is wrapped in plastic bubble wrap and very neatly done. I am totally impressed with the whole deal and I just wanted to make my thoughts on the product known on this thread. I'm addicted to plants since moving to Florida and I will order from bonsai boy again. I will also recommend to friends.

Also I see some people say just buy local but you can't find cool stuff like bonsai tangerines local - even in florida. Here's to hoping I get some tangerines.
Neutral shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO (Zone 6a)
January 11, 2012
Posted on October 5, 2011, updated January 11, 2012
I've never ordered from Bonsai Boy. I was just reading reviews and am still disgusted at all the "negative" reviews on legitimate companies. It's obvious that most if not all "negative" reviews are suspect, look at the date they signed up on Davesgarden and look at the date of the review, it's like their competitors are still coming here to specifically write a "negative" review. It's no wonder that most companies don't monitor reviews here, all the negative ones are fake. But, actually, I've been to Bonsai Boy's website and have considered ordering from them, everything seems reasonable from them. I just don't have a place to put a bonsai right now. If I had ordered from them my experience would likely be positive, I can't imagine their really screwing anybody.
On January 11th, 2012, shortleaf added the following:

Boy, that Thiefcatcher sounds like he has a screw loose in addition. Tell me, why did YOU sign up here on the same day
as your negative review on Bonsai Boy? Just because you have pimples on your face and a hairy back doesn't mean you have to get all nasty.
Positive DRGFECHTER
STREATOR, IL (Zone 5a)
November 12, 2011
BonsaiBoy - Gene was very helpful to me on a Preserved Bonsai I had ordered. The color was dissapointing and Gene contacted them (the only one that makes Preserved Bonsai ). They promptly sent me a spray to enhance the color, which was excellent. It is now a very realistic live looking Bonsai. Thanks Gene
Negative carlsbaditguy
Carlsbad, CA
November 4, 2011
My mother ordered me a "10 year old, indoor blood orange bonsai tree with an imported ceramic pot" as a gift. The pre-order service was actually very poor. My mother felt that they were rude to her and I had felt they were too but the tree that we saw on the website was so nice that we decided to just order anyways and not have to deal with them again. (just order online from there on out if we were happy with the order) They talked her into ordering a 9 dollar drip tray and the plant cost 89.95 which after shipping came out to about 120 total. The plant arrived very quickly however it looked like a stick tree stuck in a terracotta pot with a terracotta tray. I was taken back but at first did not want to tell my mother the disappointment of the gift. After getting home and trying to look up the tree online I came across a website that sold the exact tree that I got for MUCH less, that came with a terracotta pot and tray. The tree actually came with the same exact care instructions, and I mean the same template and document posted on their website organicbouquet.com. When I called to discuss this obvious rip off with Gene ("owner") he was very rude and would not answer any questions about how he had purposely stolen from my mother and made her pay an extra 10 dollars for a drip tray that is a terracotta tray. He blamed that I lived in California and that he could not legally ship anything to CA that he had a company that he would not tell me who they were that was supposed to send me what I ordered. The pot was supposed to be an "imported ceramic pot" with this additional ceramic tray. He told me that "only his most expensive trees are meant to look like their picture" (i guess 120 isn't enough for ol Gene) and gave me a ridiculous excuse for the reason I received a tree that I could probably find at home depot for 21.99. If there is one thing worse than ripping people off, it is continuing to try to be rude and fight that you are right, instead of just being honest. He would not directly answer one question that I asked him and he was combative with everything I asked about what I was supposed to receive. Gene got caught on this one, he ended our conversation with cursing and a hang up. This "family business" is sad and I hope that I can articulate exactly how pathetic this product and my experience was. We have started working with the credit card company because I can not believe this business would act in good faith to ever refund the money on their own. I order a large percentage of my purchases online and this honestly was the worst I have ever seen. I think seeing the pictures tells the whole story because this purchase couldn't be farther than from what they have misrepresented on their website. Please consider my experience before making a purchase from this site, it really is going to turn into a giant headache. I would NEVER consider having anyone I know order from them.
Negative ocrodger
Tustin, CA
October 18, 2011
Posted on January 25, 2010, updated October 18, 2011
Posted on June 14, 2009, updated January 25, 2010
I ordered a Hawaiian Umbrella Bonsai Tree - Banyan Style - Large-Item e2011. for $69.95 - Its Features: 19 years old, 16" tall

What I got was not the tree in the picture. It was a much shorter (9-10 inches tall) tree. I too notified Gene by taking photos of what I got and sending it to them. They told me I got the wrong tree,and responded by email as follows:

"We are sending replacement. You may keep or discard what you have. Gene Bonsaiboy.com
PS We measure from the top of the table to the top of the tree"

I kept the first tree and waited for replacement. Why discard a perfectly good tree just because someone screwed up? The new tree came this past Friday...same size as the first...not the size and description of the one on the website that I original ordered. Looks like I got screwed again. DO NOT ORDER FROM THE COMPANY...WHAT IS ON THE WEBSITE IS NOT WHAT I GOT..............BEWARE!

On June 17th, 2009, ocrodger added the following:

UPDATE....after telling Gene, in an email, he has lost what could have been a loyal customer.....his only response........"Your loss"...... BEWARE NEW YORK.....THIS GUY IS REPRESENTING YOU!
On January 25th, 2010, ocrodger added the following:

Looks like 2 more people got screwed by Gene at Bonsai Boy of New York......since my last post. PEOPLE.......BELIEVE WHAT YOU READ HERE. Bonsai Boy has ripped off too many people. Please save your money and buy local. This company is a TOTAL rip off. You have been warned by many............DON'T SHOP BONSAI BOY OF NEW YORK. CAN'T SAY IT ANY CLEARER!
On October 18th, 2011, ocrodger added the following:

Checking again and now 5 more people got screwed since last post. WHEN WILL YOU PEOPLE WAKE UP. Read here before you order. YOU DON'T SEE ANY RESPONSE FROM GENE TO MY POSTS....because they are true. You have been warned many times.
Negative Thiefcatcher
Beverly Hills, CA
October 14, 2011
Posted on October 4, 2011, updated October 14, 2011
DO NOT ORDER A TREE FROM THIS PLACE. "GREG" was a JERK and sent me a tree that looked dead the pink serissa flowers fell, wrong pot holder ,and gave me advise to go in my backyard and put some moss and alter it to make it look like what i thought it looked like on line and DID NOT recieve. Dummy, that is what YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE! They make money off shipping because their trees are so shitty. He was also rude on the phone and hung up on me and even thought he stated my tree looked perfect when he recieved it back from me within the 5 day return period, this jerk wouldn't ship me my FULL refund because this asshole didn't think he made an error, on top of that they never sent me a confirmation because they input my email address wrong and blamed me for "mispronunciation" Luckily my bank disputed it and gave me the rest of the refund. Someone please put these people out of business. Gene, you suck at business, you need another occupation. Don't even post a bullshit response to this comment because everyone on this cite knows your full of shit.

On October 14th, 2011, Thiefcatcher added the following:

ATTENTION TO "SHORTLEAF" THE IDIOT ABOVE ME, those aren't comments from competitors dummy, if you read carefully, the comments are from customers and the manager of bonsai boy DOES read this cite as you see the bullshit responses under some of the customers. "GENE" is a AS LOUSY AS HIS FAKE BONSAI TREE.
Negative sofeegeeell
Rochester Hills, MI
August 11, 2011
The good:
The plant I received was beautifully package and very healthy.

The bad:
It wasn't the tree they pictured on the site.
It wasn't nearly as old as they claimed
There were several bad limb cuts and wire marks on the trunk and branches.
I would say it looked like a tree branch some cut off and put in a bonsai dish. I'm really disappointed. I should have listened to my gut instinct to not buy a tree sight unseen!
Negative cogito
Pittsboro, NC
May 19, 2011
Ordered a ligustrum bonsai with supplies and not only did I NOT receive the bonsai that was pictured on their website, the plant isn't even a ligustrum. To add insult to injury, I did receive all of the supplies that I purchased with the plant. The company is VERY PASSIVE about their customer service and make you feel like all the effort is on your end. I have still yet to have a resolution of the plant or the supplies.

This is another of those outlets that lives on bulk purchases to make up for their mistakes. As long as their sales are strong, it's apparent they do not give a whip about customer service or return purchases (which I doubt happen).
Positive Michelle82
Norwalk, CA
May 2, 2011
I had placed an order for a Mount Fuji Serissa around Dec as a xmas present for my boyfriend. Since it wasn't able to be delivered by Xmas day, which by the way was no fault of the company it had to do with unfavourable weather (I live in Cali) they emailed me a gift certificate of the tree with a picture and everything I could give. Once the tree came in, it was lovely. After a few weeks the leaves withered a little and us being new to the whole bonsai tree thing, we called Gene to see what we were doing wrong and what we should do. He was let us know how to take care of it and was super informative over the phone. Now our little tree is healthy and the colors of the leaves are gorgeous! Very happy with everything A+++ :)
Negative 70124bandit
New Orleans, LA
April 2, 2011
Shipping was delayed due to weather, no problem. A personalized card showing pictures of the trees and announcing why they were delayed was promised for this anniversary gift but never delivered despite the owner's assurances.
The trees were eventually sent with no tracking info as promised, no email, no phone call to make me aware that they would be unceremoniously dumped on my porch. One tree shriveled and died within a week, the other is fading fast. Save your money and the shipping expense, headaches and empty promises of Bonsai Boy and buy from ANYONE else.
Nice website they have, worst service and product ever
Positive djwcharter
Sacramento, CA
March 28, 2011
I have purchased many trees, pots, accessories, and plant stock from numerous companies around the country and this is, BY FAR, the most outstanding one of them all...

VERY healthy trees!
Amazingly fast delivery!
HUGE selection!
BEST PRICES!
Consistently outstanding customer service!

Go ahead and check out other Bonsai sites/companies but I guarantee you will end up here and you will be VERY VERY pleased you did.

I do not understand the negative reviews on this site. I have made purchases from Bonsai Boy of New York as far back as 2003 and have NEVER BEEN DISAPPOINTED!
Negative ladyblue3000
Brooklyn, NY
March 24, 2011
DO NOT BUY FROM BONSAI BOY WEBSITE!! YOU WILL BE VERY VERY [deleted] OFF!! I REPEAT DO NOT BUY FROM THIS WEBSITE.

I looked at the bonsai pictures (Barbados Cherry Tree)
that was represented on BONSAI BOY website. I paid close to $100 and expressed that pkg be delivered by USPS. Well first of all, to [deleted] with my request, he sent it UPS to my home, which was a great inconvenience for me, despite the fact that I phoned him and told him not to do this.

When the bonsai came I was angry and shocked, tree reminded me of Charlie Brown's Christmas Tree, just a tiny twig, with some leaves. As a New Yorker I felt suckered by these people. NEVER, AGAIN BONSAI BOY, YOU SUCK LIKE A ROTTEN, STINKY LEMON.
Company representative comment on March 24, 2011:
On Mar 24, 2011 11:13 AM, Bonsai Boy of New York responded with:

We have no record of contact with this customer, we can't ship via the Post Office (too much theft in New York City, it is untraceable, too heavy) our only Barbados Cherry sells for $49.95, not “close to $100”, etc. Not sure this even our shipment, just too many inconsistencies here.

We also have a liberal return policy if the received tree is not to your liking, you don't have to keep it!

Many trees do defoliate in the winter and regenerate growth in the Spring (like now), its impossible to keep updating photos on a living, growing organism that cycles through its life cycle like every other creature in nature.

Sad that this person choose to complain to anonymously to strangers on the internet and sling insults rather than call the Owner directly and resolve the issue.

We bend over backwards to accommodate even when the customer has made a mistake or cared for a tree improperly. We have hundreds of letters praising our customer service, even when something has gone wrong on our end as we admit to our mistake and fix immediately.

Consider the source before you are let complete strangers with the time, bitterness and insults to write nasty comments - instead of calling us - to sway your opinion. A lot of people are brave behind their computers (only). You may always call us and speak with a owner of this Family run business.

Negative katesmith2000
Cleveland, OH
October 13, 2009
Under no circumstance would I recommend buying a tree from bonsai boy.com/ bonsai boy of new york. I paid $100 for a copper beech bonsai that was supposedly 10 years old. When it arrived, i was shocked-- it looked like a stick randomly stuck in the center of a pot-- nothing like the picture and definitely not what i was expecting.(not to mention the leaves were curling up and brown on the edges, not healthy looking at all. ) i am new to bonsai so i wasnt sure if it was just my lack of experience that was making this tree seem untrained and unattractive and very un-bonsai-ish. ... i joined a beginners bonsai discussion forum and posted pics of my new tree and asked for styling and general advice from experts. Across the board they agreed I had been completely ripped off, this "tree" was a sapling no more than 2 years old at most, it had no training or style. One guy said it gave him a pit in his stomach to see how much I had paid for what i had gotten , another guy said his recommendation was to plant it in the ground for 2-3 years and let it thicken then to take a branch off and start again. Not exactly advice i was hoping for when i had just paid $100 for a supposedly 10 year old bonsai. All of the experts were very sorry I had had that experience and said that i was not alone and that bonsaiboy.com has a really bad reputation among people who actually care about bonsai. I am new to bonsai but i had done enough research to know that generally the lowest branch should be at about 1/3 of the height of the tree, and the tree shouldnt be centered in the pot... neither of these basic guidelines were embraced by bonsai boy in their "trained 10 year old copper beech". It really looked like someone took a stick out of their back yard and put it in the middle of a bonsai pot (and left the "made in china" sticker on the front.)
I cant return it because its been more than a week, and furthermore I think id only get half my money back at best since they charge more than $20 for return shipping and you have to pay a 20% "restocking" fee. This bonsai was meant to be a very special gift for a friend and it was very sad to get ripped off so bad with something that I had put a lot research into. When it came time to order i only saw one bad review of bonsaiboy and i figured that person just had a random bad experience .... now i wish i had listened to them! take my advice dont buy any of their trees!!!! save your money! they are awful.
Negative newmexico2
Franktown, CO
September 24, 2009
bonsai elm- arrived and started dropping leaves- discovered sap on leaves and infestation of aphids- company told me the bonsai was a deciduous tree and it was normal for them to drop their leaves!!- told me to let it dry out, the bugs live in the soil- and to kill aphids with soap spray then insecticide if that didn't work. In meantime plant will lose all of its leaves. It may come back it may not. Man was very rude, obnoxious, accused me of lying about bugs! Certainly didn't offer to send another one- their risk free guanantee is a joke- i wouldn't purchase from these creeps.

They shouldn't ship plants that are buggy.
Positive jparris19
Naples, FL
June 26, 2009
I called to see if Gene could ship several bonsai in August and also if he could help me with shipping charges. He was extremely nice and helpful, and assured me the trees would be delivered mid August as I requested. Of course the proof will be the condition and appearances once they are delivered; however my initial experience was very pleasant. I hope it continues and I am not disappointed. Frankly I wondered if I spoke to the same "Gene" as referenced in other reviews.

Odd that, according to some reviews, they are so nice to customers who come into the store, but not so much with the mail order/on-line community.
Negative shannon62873
Acworth, GA
May 9, 2009
I ordered a gift for Mother's Day on April 26. I followed directions about the day I would like it delivered ( I chose May 4-8 which was the week before because I thought they would be busy!). Gene, apparentlythe owner, changed my delivery date and didn't tell me...until AFTER Mother's Day. When I asked for compensation, he yelled at me and then hung up on me! When I tried to call back, he prepetedly hung up on me. Now I have no way to cancel my order and my Mom has no gift. DO NOT use this company. They will steal your money and leave you without product!!
Company representative comment on May 18, 2009:
On May 18, 2009 12:13 PM, Bonsai Boy of New York responded with:

We experienced a glitch in our shipping software that prevented 3 out of 728 orders from being sent out for Sunday, Mother’s Day. On Saturday, we contacted these customers to offer:

1 - A color picture of the tree embedded in a gift certificate to be immediately emailed to both the gift giver and Mom in time to present for Mother’s Day with our written apologies and the original gift message.

2 – Expedited shipping of the tree on Monday at no additional cost. Saturday shipping for Sunday arrival is just not possible from New York to Georgia.

3 – To include growing accessories (tray, fertilizer and pebbles) at no additional cost.

Shannon62873 insisted that her money be refunded IN ADDITION to RECEIVING the tree and the above compensation. When we explained that it was impossible for us to give away our products with shipping and remain in business, Shannon began to threaten us by reporting us to her credit card company, the BBB and various places on the internet. At this point there was no use in trying to have a meaningful two way dialogue as she refused to listen to the options and she was told her money would be refunded and it immediately was.

We understand the frustration and emotion involved when a gift was not going to be received timely but think we made a fair offer of possible alternatives and compensation. The 2 other affected customers took our offer with our apologies. Instead, the conversation with Shannon quickly deteriorated to assessing blame, unrealistic demands and threats so her money was returned and the call terminated.

We take pride in satisfying our customer’s need with shipping and delivering trees quickly with great accuracy. We also take personal ownership of the problem in the very rare event that something goes wrong and strive to fix it to everyone's satisfaction. Sadly, in this case, we were unable to offer a FULL REFUND still ship the product.

Negative Louise12
San Diego, CA
August 15, 2008
I purchased 600 USD worth of corporate bonsai plants for a special event. Fortunately I ordered one of the flowering bonsai for myself to see what the plant would be like. The plant was much smaller than I expected. Within a few weeks after careful tending it has turned brown and basically died. There is a new shoot coming off the side, showing how well the plant is being watered and tended. The plants that Bonsai Boy sells are as far as I can tell hothoused. I do not believe that they are slow grown bonsai. There is no way that my bonsai was 7 years old as claimed on the website. I believe that the company greatly misrepresents its plants.

I called the gentleman that I placed the order with. He didn't want to know. I had found him rude when I called to place the order so this didn't surprise me. I must WARN anyone else considering purchasing from them. DON'T!!!! They sell nice bonsai locally and for a fraction of the price. The rudeness of the proprietor was completely unnecessary.
Positive mtnqueen
Ellijay, GA
September 12, 2007
I purchased my first bonsai tree ever from BB Aug 17, 2007 and just love it. So much so that I ordered my second tree Aug 31 and was heartbroken when it arrived damaged (not their fault definitely but the shipper). They were unbelievable, no hassle, no problems. My wonderful new tree is here already. Great people to deal with. I recommend them 100 %. They were definitely a pleasure.
Positive WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY (Zone 7a)
April 2, 2007
Ordered a couple of pots and various supplies from this company via Amazon.com on Wednesday, got my order on Monday. Customer Service even called me to verify the size of an Item I had ordered. The pots came extremely well packaged and I received everything I wanted in an exceptionally timely fashion, I have no complaints about their service.
Neutral woodensandals
Merrick, NY
March 5, 2007
It's interesting that the customer service is described by other people as rude.. While browsing at their store (local to me) they were helpful.
I applied for a customer service job there in when I was in college. I guess I was too nice!
Negative ethriousstratos
New Orleans, LA (Zone 8b)
March 4, 2007
Received an orchid pot from bonsaiboy via Amazon.com. Not only was the price listed incorrectly but the item was much smaller than expected. Bonsaiboy's website described the item as "handpainted" which upon even a cursory inspection it is most assuredly NOT. Their Customer service representative, when asked about returns was rude and defensive, seeming offended that I should want to return an unsatisfactory item for in-store credit. Will never purchase anything from them again.
Negative ara133
State College, PA
February 18, 2007
Ordered from them last year and will never order from this company again! The plant they sent was brittle when it arrived (juniper), and they did not include the tools I ordered! Contacting them was difficult, and they had trouble locating my order. When they finally did resolve the problem they did send the tools (which were of good quality), but the customer service really left a lot to be desired.
Positive jnemeth636
Nokomis, FL
February 21, 2005
Just received an order of pots, supplies and a plant. Plant was beautiful and larger and more mature then expected. Delivery was very quick and there was even a heating packet in the box to keep the plant warm. I would definitely order here again.
Positive BSG1
Smithtown, NY
December 1, 2004
I too am surprised by the negative feedback this company has received as I often buy from them (I live locally) and have always found them to be extremely knowledgeable, very helpful and their bonsai selection and quality is, in my opinion, beyond reproach. I won't stop buying from them and hope that others give them a chance before jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Positive paph1977
Gwinn, MI
October 8, 2004
I am a bit surprized at the negative rating of this company. I placed a good sized order (about $250 if I remember correctly) with them 2 years ago. I gave their bonsai as Christmas gifts to my family and they were a hit! The trees all arrived quickly, well packed and were very healthy. I thought the prices reflected the quality of the trees. The bonsai are still thriving, even those owned by my realitives with "brown thumbs".
Negative Dave0509
April 4, 2004
It really surprises me that these type of people are in the business of handling things that need great care for they have no regard or care for those whom thay need to serve. Rude workers, overpriced products [shears, soil, pots, etc.].
Negative Bonzaifan
April 4, 2004
Awful! Awful! Awful!
I ordered an artificial bonsai tree from BonsaiBoy about two months ago, I'm still waiting for it. Tried to call up their customer service to see if we can resolve the issue and was given a run around followed by snide remarks. Very bad service all around. Definately not a happy camper.