The scoop on 'Zoysia Farm Nurseries'

Zoysia Farm Nurseries

3617 Old Taneytown Road
Taneytown, Maryland 21287 (United States)

Phone: 410-756-2311

Visit Zoysia Farm Nurseries at:

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive rolonme1
Goshen, NY
August 5, 2014
I opened this account to specifically address everyone's concerns regarding this grass and this company - I have an existing zoysia lawn and have purchased plugs from Zoysia Farms. The gist of this little rant is this...be patient. The yard will fill in and it will look beautiful - it just takes a lot of time.

This Spring/Summer I had excavation work performed in my backyard. So, I purchased 6,000 plugs over the course of the three orders. Half of the plugs I placed in the excavated portion of the yard, the other half in my pre-existing lawn that was not already covered in zoysia. Like most people who ordered from Zoysia Farms, it was partially brown and dormant upon delivery. It took about 3 - 5 weeks to green up. It took another 3 - 4 weeks to really start spreading above surface.

I can see the growth in the excavated portion of my lawn with no problem...its actually amazing how they grow. However, when you plant these plugs into a pre-existing lawn, you can't readily measure or see their growth...everything is happening below the surface. But trust me, if it's green and not dormant...it's growing.

A portion of my lawn is zoysia based - it is well established and it spreads out every year. It is absolutely wonderful to walk in and brag about to my family when they come over.

If you want a grass that will grow in immediately - this isn't the grass for you. This grass takes years to establish. But when it does...you'll be happy to have it. The other grasses that grow within weeks, can just as easily die in a matter of days. This grass might take a while to establish, but when it's established...it isn't going anywhere.
Negative joijoyce
Wilson, NC
June 16, 2014
Posted on June 16, 2014, updated June 16, 2014
We saw an ad concerning this grass and was very excited to order it. We have a beautiful winter lawn, but we have a number of brown spots in the spring and summer and thought this grass would remedy the problem. The first batch of grass received was partially dead and we quickly put the living plugs in the ground and watered and feed them. The plugs that appeared dead were placed in an area and watered and feed to see if they were dormant and needed a kick start .. No luck. After weeks of watching the ground for any sign of growth in the plugs we contacted Zoysia and they sent out a new batch that we planted the next day after delivery. We have watered and fertilized those plugs, placed markers on the lawn to watch for growth. To our dismay, No Growth. Nothing.. After all the hard work of planting close to 1000 plugs and no growth what so ever.
On June 16th, 2014, joijoyce added the following:

Thank you for your quick response. I did mention that we have a winter variety of grass that covers our whole lawn and the lawn is gorgeous during the winter and our neighbor complement it. Everything seems to be growing except the Zoysia Grass. We will watch the grass and update on the status of its growth in 3 weeks...
Company representative comment on June 16, 2014:
On Jun 16, 2014 2:27 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

I am pleased to see we have already sent replacement grass to this customer. It can take up to 45 days for the new green grass shoots to appear (Zoysia does everything slowly). The replacements were delivered less than 3 weeks ago so it maybe too early for the new grass to be showing. The spreading can only start once the plug is sending up new grass blades. Let’s hope, given time, they will work.

One area of concern, the plugs are being put in a place where other grass has failed. This usually means that there is some under lying issue that is making it difficult to grow grass. Solving that mystery might lead to more success. In looking at our” trouble shooting survey” which the customer provided information for, it appears the grass was planted near pine trees. Pine trees can be quite acidic and Zoysia prefers a more neutral pH level (between 6.0 - 7.0).

Negative sherrychui
Youngsville, NC
June 11, 2014
Received plugs, watered well, set in lawn. Watered diligently and daily longer than recommended time, didn't mow as instructed. The existing crab grass grew as it normally does, completely covering the area where the plugs were, making it impossible to see if they took in addition to not knowing what they would look like if they had grown. We had a harsh winter so I give the plugs extra time to make themselves "known" this spring. Not one took. When I contacted the company for a refund, I was told they only give you 2 months to call for a refund. I find that totally unreasonable.
Company representative comment on June 16, 2014:
On Jun 16, 2014 2:08 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

We are always sorry to learn that our grass did not grow for a customer. Our guarantee is to replace free any plugs that fail to grow. While we ask for notice within 60 days (we want to get the replacements to customers quickly) we however give customers up to one year to notify us of any that failed. This request appears to be beyond the one year time .

Zoysia is extremely drought tolerant and the most common cause of failure is over watering. It is difficult to judge from this post if that is the culprit but it does sound like a possibility.

Positive Iceman7
Devine, TX
March 20, 2014
Posted on March 18, 2014, updated March 20, 2014
I received my order of 650 plugs on March 8 and planted them the same day they arrived. When I received them they were just like all the post on here state, "brown and dead looking". I wasnt alarmed as the information listed stated they will be dormant. I had watered the area well a few days prior to help soften the work area. The 4 sheets of sod were dry (95%) and the soil and grass was falling all over the place. I took each one out and water them. I began to use the plugger be realize quickly that it wasnt going to work as advertised. Since I was plugging in existing lawn, the crabgrass and burclover was tough to cut through with the plugger. I should of use some weed killer prior to help kill them off. I started to use a post hole digger that made the job a little easier but also required me to cut the plugs larger than 1" and into 3x3 squares. I purchased Miracle Grow potting soil a fews day prior to help kick start the growth process and provide nutirents as well. With the post hold digger I dug wider and a little deeper to allow me to add the potting soil. I mixed the potting soil and existing soil together and filled to the top of the hole and firmly pressed the plugs in. I did this method for about 90% of the plugs. I used the plugger and 1" plugs to plant the other 10% in bare soil. It has been 2 weeks now and I am happy to see that 80% of the plugs are greening up. I am noticing more growth on the larger plugs. The 1" plugs have one or two green blades. I am taking pictures weekly to track the growth. Feel free to me email me and I will be happy to forward pictures.

On a side note: The front of my lawn is planted with these Amazoy Plugs. The back yard I purchased 5 sheets of sod from a local nurrsey with provided El Toro Zoysia. The 5 sheets cost me $9.35 and are bigger than what I received from ZFN and also greener. I will be charting the growth of each.
On March 20th, 2014, Iceman7 added the following:

I also used the Pro Plugger 5-1 in the backyard El Toro installation. Let me say it made things a WHOLE lot easier. cut my time in half and less strain on my back. Really need to look up the reviews and videos.
Negative Mike942
Colusa, CA
May 31, 2013
I bought several 1000 plugs, so many in fact that I received 2 augers and 2 manual plug hole makers. The grass arrived via FedEx and I began the process of planting them as directed. This is very labor intensive and it took me at least 70 man hours to put in the plugs. Over the course of the next several weeks I watered and fertilized as directed. Several months later I have 1000's of dead plugs. The company offered me half the purchase price in return, which I took. I would not purchase plugs from this company. I do not think their product is good quality and the Zoysia grass they provide is very poor.
Company representative comment on June 4, 2013:
On Jun 4, 2013 2:58 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

We want every customer to be happy with their purchase.

To help facilitate this we try and take most of the risk out of purchasing a living plant, even if we can’t take the work. We understand Mother Nature can be a difficult partner, but by guaranteeing to replace any plug that fails to grow we help insure ultimate success. We do this even in instances when not all our directions are followed - kind of a not fault insurance policy.

We understand this is a new undertaking for most with a plant they are not familiar with. It can also be a bigger project than originally anticipated or planned for. I am certainly guilty of that in my own garden!

In this particular instance we were glad we could make an accommodation beyond replacing the plugs that the customer indicated didn’t grow. We felt we were being fair and honorable.

We are proud to be celebrating our 60th Anniversary this year with millions of success stories of establishing zoysia lawns all across the country. Zoysia is not a miracle grass that grows everywhere but it sure is a great grass in any soil with sunny dry conditions.

Positive MsGwen
Fredericksburg, VA
April 20, 2013
Over a decade ago I helped my parents plug thier yard with z-52 in augusta GA. That lawn is still the most gorgeous, weed free, low maintenance lawn in the Nieghborhood.
When I bought my home 2 years ago in Virginia I immediately wanted to do the same but my dear husband insisted he was a lawn genious and that he would seed the lawn and make it beautiful.
I do love him and some of the weeds do have beautiful little flowers but thousands of dollars spent in liming, watering, fertilizing, gas for the mower, etc... Oh dear. It all dies in late August when the water restrictions are put in place. I finally have got him to agree to plug the yard!!!
My plugs arrived yesterday in the middle of a big thunderstorm. Thank god they sent multiple small boxes so I could drag them into the garage. The rain will help us out too! I have spent about $400 on plugs, augers, nutri 20, etc. I will spend another $100 on buckets, a couple bags of rich soil, and beer for my Nieghbors that I have enlisted to help.
I think it was super awesome that we could track our order allowing us to coordinate the work party. It shipped about a week early and left there at 3am. We got it at 5pm. That means this grass has spent a very short time in the box. That's good! I immediately opened the boxes and misted the grass. It was about 10-15% green. That's better than I expected since we had a late spring this year and most of my grass/ weeds in my yard are still dormant.
I'm so excited! I will try to keep you all posted but I have to go now... Lots of work to do!
A few tips before I go... The hand held pluggers suck for plugging the yard. Use the augers. However, the hand held pluggers are superb for cutting the plugs. Just flip the grass upside down on the lawn and start cutting your squares out! It's much easier than this darn scissors they give you, keeps the soil together on the plug, and is a lot faster!
Positive ohwiseone
Fort Hunt, VA
August 6, 2012
Ordered 1500 plugs... arrived in decent shape. A little dormant looking but I laid out the sod watered, and they started to green up nicely. I cut my plugs into 3x3 (so actually I got 500 plugs). I did some research and planted the plugs like I was planting a bush. I made the holes bigger and deepter then the plug... I poured water into the hole...let it drain... I then filled the hole with GOOD topsoil so the plug would be a about even with the soil line... I put the plug in ... I filled in around the plug with GOOD topsool. I really pressed down hard on the plug wih the heel of my foot...filled in more as needed. I threw some more water on the plug ..... next .... long story short .... they all took ... they are all green .... really redious process .... but it worked .... ALSO, water twice a day for 3-4 weeks ..... ALSO, use the auger thing that goes on a power drill.... MUCH EASIER
Positive canti277
Fairfield, NJ
August 6, 2012
I ordered 600 plugs approx. June 1st. When I received them they were kind of brow, but the instructions says it is normal. I did cut them slightly bigger than 1x1 as they suggested, it is kind of impossible to cut them that size. I planted them the following day and I honestly thought all my work was in vain, because they really looked dead. A couple of weeks later about 95% of them started to green up and as of today they are all so green and beautiful and they are spreading. JP
Neutral highhopes1
Virginia Beach, VA
June 30, 2012
My next door neighbor has a beautiful Zoysia front yard, did it in 3 different houses. I jusy finished my 21 days after plugging my yard. Watered every day for 15 minutes exactly by the book. Only had rain for 2 days of this period. ALL of my plugs turned the dormant looking color and still are. I called after about 2 weeks & was told they are getting used to your soil & it takes 30 - 40 days for it to do so. I bought your 5 lb bag of fertilizer, but have not used it, is it too late ? I'm feeling like it's not going to grow, worked really hard @ this ! Dave
Neutral zoysianut
Charlotte, NC
May 26, 2012
Posted on May 25, 2012, updated May 26, 2012
Posted on May 24, 2012, updated May 25, 2012
Posted on May 24, 2012, updated May 24, 2012
Posted on May 24, 2012, updated May 24, 2012
I must be a little crazy, I planted 900 plugs 4 years ago and have seen no result from any of it, so now i buy 3100 plugs and ready to try it again. I just love this grass, I just wish i can get it to grow. this time im doing things different, im plowing my front yard, planting every 6 inches, and puting at least 2 plugs per hole and im buying their 20 20 20 nuti grow, but now im almost 2 weeks planted and i have about 6 different grasses or weeds growing, I know its to early to say the plugs have or have not grown but im going to try to post photos of what is growing and i hope someone will be able to let me know if its zoysia or something else.
On May 24th, 2012, zoysianut added the following:

well i cant figure out how to post photos but i will email zfn with the photos and i will let everyone know what they say, and if anyone would like me to email you the photos please send me a email at allen@lakenorman.com
On May 24th, 2012, zoysianut changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

On May 25th, 2012, zoysianut added the following:

thanks for looking at my post, but your not helping youself...Why didnt anyone ask me or tell me that i should find out why nothing grew. all anyone said was that they were sorry they didnt grow and that i should of called with-in 45 days. and 4 years later when i order again no one said i should try to find out what went wrong.....
On May 26th, 2012, zoysianut added the following:

can anyone tell what these grass or weeds are.
Company representative comment on May 25, 2012:
On May 25, 2012 11:14 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

It always worries me a bit to hear someone planting a second time without maybe investigating what might have caused the first planting not to grow. It is difficult to tell from this post, but quite often there is an underlying issue that needs to be addressed. If that is the case, we have the professional staff here that can help uncover the cause and make this a beautiful Amazoy Zoysia lawn

We are “Zoysianuts” also and want everyone to be successful in growing a beautiful Zoysia lawn. We are proud to be The Zoysia Experts that homeowners have turned to for almost 60 years. Zoysia Farms only business is growing and selling Zoysia grass.

Our staff is available Monday to Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm eastern to help anyone who wants assistance with any Zoysia lawn, 410-756-2311. We know Zoysia!

Positive katnmark
HAROLD, KY
April 20, 2012
I ordered 4 sheets of plugs as a "Trial run" to see exactly what would be involved in planting this product. I received my sheets of plugs, and found that they were about 90% dormant. This did not alarm me however,as I have a neighbor who has already gone through the entire process. When I received the plugs, they were a bit small looking to me so I measured the sheets and found them to be in fact a little smaller than they should have been so I e-mailed Zoysia farms, gave them the information and got an immediate response from not one, but two of their very professional customer representatives, Laura and Janet. An apology was offered for the oversight(which could happen under any circumstance of producing such tremendous amounts of product on a daily basis) and I was promptly told I would receive another sheet of plugs to compensate me for the shortage of plugs I had. I truly don't know what more I could have asked for! I would give both of these ladies 10 out of 10 on a 1-10 scale for meeting customer satisfaction! Their response was immediate, if I am not mistaken, I received a total of 5 e-mails from these two customer representatives, amazing! It has been now a couple of weeks since I planted my "Trial order" and they seem to be thriving well as I have followed the very well defined planting instructions to the letter. I have zero problems in my transactions with Zoysia Farm Nurseries and as soon as I am finished preparing my lawn, I will order more plugs without concern. Thank You Laura and Janet for making my "Trail run" a very enjoyable first experience and for also your excellent representation of such a high quality company! I will recomend Zoysia Farm Nursery to any who ask me how I have developed such a nice lawn!
Positive kmur35t
Copperas Cove, TX
April 16, 2012
Posted on April 13, 2012, updated April 16, 2012
I received my shipment of 2 1900 plug sets about a month ago. The boxes were left on my front porch and were in decent condition, though the top of one of the boxes was pushed in where the tape didn't hold. There was no damage to anything inside though so no big deal. After reading some of the more negative reviews about the grass being brown and "dead looking," I was eager to get inside and see what my grass looked like. The grass was inside a plastic bag inside the box and was packed upside down which i assume was to keep the soil intact. Since the soil was the first thing I could see I noticed that i could in fact see very distinct score marks throughout the entire piece of sod. The soil was fairly dry so when I turned it over to see what the grass looked like some of it fell away but not much. The majority of the grass was as expected brown and dry, but probably about 30% was still green. I am attributing the extra green to ordering at the beginning of the season? maybe, maybe not I'm no expert. I had a couple of old kiddie pools in the attic so I figured that they would be a good way to keep the grass moist while I worked on one at a time. Sure did work. I just layered the grass in there and sprinkled a bucket of water all over it. The grass actually started to green up a bit while it was in there. Well that might have been my imagination but I swear it was happening. Anyway with such a large order I decided to forgo the 1" squares, and just cut the large pieces of sod in half short ways, then again, then again, so that I ended up with 8 pieces that were about 3.5"X2.5". Each box came with an "auger" (actually just a metal rod that had been sheered off on one end to kind of a chisel tip and a washer that had been cut in half and then spiraled up the metal rod and welded on to make an "auger", but it worked so I'm not complaining just explaining) a set of instructions/advertisements, and a box of allergy medicine(I laughed when I saw it but thought it was a nice gesture). Initially I started digging holes with just a garden trowel, and discovered that was not going to work for long, so I enlisted the help of a buddy and his corded power drill (do not try to use a cheap battery powered drill for this you will burn up the motor). We started in kind of an assembly line fashion where we'd cut up the pieces as described before with a set of 2' loppers, then I'd drill holes while he came behind me and filled them in with some cheap topsoil (just to get them started off on the right foot, my soil is clayish so I wanted them to be able to root easier). Then we went down the line and I soaked the topsoil with water and he'd throw down a plug an step on it. We worked for an hour or so and got through maybe 5-6 pieces of sod. Not too bad that was a Tuesday I think and we did the same thing for the rest of the week just plugging away and making sure the left over grass in the pools was wet at the end of the day. We finished on that Saturday, and I just finished the 21 days of watering last weekend. The plugs are pretty much on a bare patch of ground surrounding my back patio, and just about all of them are full green. The ones that are not full green are still partially green, and are probably not fully green because they are the ones that are closer to the house and don't get a full day of sun since the sun sets at the front of the house. As I filled up the bare patch I moved out into the yard (which is mostly weeds except at the back where a bit of St. Augustine's is still growing) and even that grass which is in the weeds is green. I have put miracle grow on it once which might have helped, but other than that nothing special, the dogs even get on it some (big dogs X 3 small dog X 1). I'm not sure what is going on with the reviewers that had the extreme negative comments, but it's all looking good from here. Now i just wait........
On April 16th, 2012, kmur35t added the following:

To ZFN;

I planted my new zoysia grass about a month ago now and it is doing pretty well. Most of it has really greened up though obviously hasn't started to spread quite yet. As I am not in any way an expert on grass, I had a question. What are the little stems that appear to be shooting up from the plugs? They look like little seed chutes, but as zoysia is not a seeding grass I don't know what they are. Just wondering, and thanks for a great product!

From ZFN;

If your weather has been fairly wet this season, Amazoy zoysia grass can go to seed, they look like little purple shoots. If this is happening it would be best to mow the grass, this will help it to spread outward instead of upward. This type of grass is extremely hard to grow from seeds, we do not even grow the grass from seeds.

Laura/lah

Like I said, I'm no expert and when I asked the question Laura/lah responded to my email in less than an hour. Great customer service if you ask me!
Positive Floridalawnman
South Bradenton, FL
February 24, 2012
Posted on February 24, 2012, updated February 24, 2012
I ordered 3800 plugs on Feb 19th 2012 and I would get the plugs by 23rd. I am waiting for tomorrow and i will post again...
On February 24th, 2012, Floridalawnman added the following:

i got email from them saying that they already shipped the plugs. I may get in on 25th
Positive JLJR
Merrick, NY
October 27, 2011
Posted on July 15, 2010, updated October 27, 2011
Posted on July 9, 2010, updated July 15, 2010
Posted on June 1, 2010, updated July 9, 2010
I agree with many negative comments on this site. I think the company needs to work on improving the product it ships. No complain about the timing - the shipment came pretty fast compared to other gardening sites I ordered from before (it took them months to send a tiny tree). Anyway, I didn't plant all the plugs yet, I ordered too many, about 30-35 sheets. It took me about an our to plant one sheet yesterday. Yes, it's time consuming, I knew all about it, no compains, I have enough patience. I have an issue with the plugs themselves though. The sheets are about 10 by 15 inches and about one inch thin. Too thin I think. I put the sheets on the grass in a shade (just like they suggested), watered and left them there while working on one. The area I live in is pretty windy and sunny. So you can imagine what happened to the sheets - the one inch soil that they had dried up a lot (you probably need to water the sheets every hour if you don't want them to fall apart) and some sheets when you pick them up, the dirt comes off and all you're left with is the grass (or I should say straw). Now try cutting that up into plugs 1x1. Pretty challenging. I stopped counting the inches, I just cut the straws however I could. My husband was laughing at me - I guess I did look funny cutting straw and planting it hoping something will come out of it. I told him that it's not straw, the grass is in dormant state and the company guarantees it will grow within 45 days, if not they'll reship. He started counting "OK, you gonna spend 3 days planting the straw, then wait 45 days, mid of July you'll realize it WAS straw, you'll call the company, they'll reship, it's mid of August, you'll spend another 3 days planting straw, wait 45 more days, it's end of September, then it's winter time, etc. etc. What you should've done is gotten the seeds of any other grass and by end of June you would've had a full lawn". Then I got an idea - maybe we should have both - zoysia and seeds. We went to Home Depo. The guy at Home Depo said we shouldn't plant zoysia with other grass as zoysia will choke other grasses. I asked him if they sell zoysia seeds, he said no and suggested we check nurseries. Nurseries didn't have seeds either, but what they did have is zoysia plugs. They are sold by flats (like when you buy annuals, they are sold by flats or individually). Each flat was about $18. I didn't do the calculation yet, so I don't know which one is pricier. But I did like what they were selling. The plugs in a flat are 3 by 3 by 3, so there is plenty of soil, they are very sturdy, do not fall apart and they are actually nice green plugs, don't look like straw at all. So in the back of my mind I regret I didn't check the nearby nurseries before ordering on-line. I still hope something will come out of my straw though. Maybe it's not money wasted yet, i don't know, that's why I put a neutral rating.

Re: the step-on plugger. It is probably made in China. It's just a piece of junk. I'm not a heavy woman, so there is no way I could make holes in the ground by stepping on a plugger, I had to push. I don't know what material they used to make that thing, probably aluminum, because it's not that strong, not as strong as the material that shovels are made off. So after a lot of pushing, the edges on the plugger bent. The stick is already moving slightly, so I think by the time I'm done with the second sheet, the plugger will break. I guess I'll use the other tool they sent, my husband showed me how to drill yesterday, so hopefully this will work better. I'll ask him to drill the holes and I'll do the cutting and planting part. Oh by the way cutting wasn't too bad, I used the kitchen scisors (the ones I cut chicken with), so cutting was pretty easy, just like if you cut straw. The challenging part was figuring out how many straws should go into each square inch and telling apart the roots from the grass (I hope I didn't plant any upside down). >
On October 27th, 2011, JLJR added the following:

I love walking on this grass barefeet. Can't wait for the next summer!
Company representative comment on July 16, 2010:
On Jun 2, 2010 8:36 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

We want every customer to have a positive experience and end up with an environmentally friendly economical Amazoy zoysia lawn. We are constantly researching and implementing new ways to insure this will happen. With the grass, the major issue is once harvested it is in shock and under stress. In simple terms it starts to protect itself and immediately starts to go into dormancy. The soil helps prevent this, but without water and sun while in the shipping box the dormancy process is accelerated. Plants need light and water to grow. Getting the grass out of the box as soon as possible and back into the ground is the only way to start the grass growing again. Amazoy zoysia is amazingly resilient and can withstand the rigors of travel but needs some TLC once it arrives.

Keeping the grass and soil moist makes the separation into individual plugs much easier and helps the grass come back out of dormancy. Under normal circumstances wetting the grass and soil and keeping it in the shade is enough. Wind is not usually a factor, but in windy areas that could be something else that needs to be accounted for. The object is to keep the grass and soil moist before planting.

Over seeding is a practice that helps keep weed population down and provides ground cover until the zoysia starts to fill in. Yes, in time, the zoysia will crowd out the seeded grass but by then you will have the beautiful low maintenance Amazoy zoysia lawn you wanted. What can be wrong with that?

From this posting it sounds like some help has arrived and the holes will now be made with the Amazoy Power Auger. That will make this project move more quickly. Keep the sheets moist, your cutting tool sharp and your husband drilling holes and you will be done much more quickly. I had my 10 year old out drilling holes for me last year and we could do a sheet about every 20 – 30 minutes. His younger brother was responsible for watering the newly planted plugs, keeping the grass moist before separation and more than occasionally had fun cooling off his co-workers. One additional point, don’t forget to step on the plugs after planting to insure good contact between the soil and the roots.

We ask patience and to give new plantings 45 days to establish, send up new green shoots and start spreading. For customers who plant late in their local growing season we extend our guarantee until the next growing season to make sure the plugs are successful.

On Jul 16, 2010 11:46 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries added:

There are many varieties of zoysia available today. We sell only the Meyer Z52 which was developed by the United States Department of Agriculture. It is the most cold tolerant of all the zoysia grasses available surviving to 30 degrees below zero.

From the pictures it appears the zoysia supplied by the local nursery on Long Island NY is one of the southern varieties (more coarse leaves are the biggest hint) which are not suitable for northern planting areas. With any sort of hard winter the southern varieties might not survive and a whole lawn can be lost, even years after planting. Only time will tell.

We supply our plugs not totally separated so the customer can decide how big or small to make the plugs. Our one inch square plugs cost about 5 cents each which is quite a bit less then the $1.00 a plug from the local nursery. Even if ours were cut in the 3 inch by 3 inch size ours would only cost .45 cents each. . We continue to believe we offer the most economical and flexible way to establish a zoysia lawn and we guarantee to replace any that do not grow.

We may not be a local nursery to may, but we are zoysia specialists. There is not much we have not seen or learned in our 57 years selling Amazoy Zoysia and testing all the other varieties. Amazoy is the most viable zoysia overall and has proven itself with over 50 years of success and millions of lawns all over America. No other zoysia can come close to matching the success of Amazoy.

Positive ifg2006
Plymouth Meeting, PA
August 31, 2011
I read a lot of the posts on this website before purchasing the zoysia plugs from Zoysia Farms and I am being honest here when I say that I have not had any problems with my plugs. I ordered about 1000 plugs and about 85 - 90% of them took. The patch that I filled in with those plugs I bought are really starting to fill in and I bought them in mid june. The plug auger they give is complete junk and do not try to cut them into 1 inch squares it is impossible. I cut them into 4 x 4 inch sqaures and watered them at least once a day for 15 to 20 minutes. I live in PA and we had a severe heat wave for almost 2 months and the plugs survived. I recently just called Zoysia farms and told them about 15% of my plugs did not take and they are sending me two full sheets in the spring next year.
Positive cpgne
Newtown, PA
August 9, 2011
There is no doubt in my mind about how zoysia has worked in my yard. I became a believer in the last house I lived in when my neighbor on the top of my backyard hill had planted it some years before. The stuff held the hillside like cast iron. The kids slid down in their white pants and T shirts without green stains. Most people are disappointed when they don't see results in a year or two. I'm sure many are surprised when about four to five years later they look out the window and realize they are looking at zoysia. Once this product becomes established in a small area (about two years), it begins to move more rapidly. It sends out little zig-zag tentacles, looking for new places to root. You may not notice, but as time goes by, it continues to weave more densely, until one day, you realize that you have zoysia in your face. I lost track of the first plugs I put in, and thought many did not survive. Later, I figured I had at least an 85% survival rate from what I remembered planting. But in the winter, you'll see the plugs that look like dead brown spots. Fear not, in the spring, you'll see those brown spots about two weeks after everything else turns green, then, in just three or four days, it's all green. This stuff mercilessly slaughters crab grass. Crab grass absolutely does not stand even half a fighting chance against this stuff in strong sun areas, once it's established. My advice, be patient. Don't expect immediate results in just a year or two. If you did it right, you'll get your zoysia. Rule one: lots of sun. This stuff does not like shade, and will not grow into it. Rule two: order the SMALL kit first. Then you'll know what you are in for if you order the large kit. Go ahead and get the plugger or router, they work O.K.. Next steps: you can add plugs at any time to help increase speed of takeover. Note your dispersion during winter, that's when you can actually see where the zoysia is (brown). Normal weed treatments have not hurt my zoysia, but I find myself only putting down weed killer outside the established zoysia area, as the zoysia has kept the weeds down on its own. It continues to march on. Good luck.
Positive hoosier58
Denver, CO
July 28, 2011
It has been about 50 to 52 days since my shipment of 600 plugs and a metal plugger arrived. It was four small sheets of the sod, just as everyone else described. All of the sheets had some green in them, but were predominately brown. Three had pretty good reddish soil in the roots, but the fourth one was split almost in half the short way, and was missing quite a bit of soil. There was no visible scoring on my sheets. The plugger was not a precision tool, but was acceptable.

Unlike some people who have commented, I did not automatically think I had been scammed. I had experience planting plugs before, in my front yard --- Buffalo Grass plugs (my front yard is landscaped as a natural, informal, mountain design, even though I live in Denver). The Buffalo Grass was also very brown when it arrived, but my planting was successful. Within one season I had good cover, and a full lawn at the end of two, so the shape of the Zoysia sheets didn't particularly concern me --- though I was surprised to simply get little sheets of sod; the Buffalo grass came in trays.

For a couple of days I misted the sheets and left them in a pretty shady area. I was working long days, but was able to get a few plugs planted in the evenings in the later part of the week, but then completed the planting on the weekend, 46 days ago. I used some heavy shop shears to cut the sheets. The plugger wasn't much use for me. I had rototilled my entire yard prior to the arrival of the plugs, adding cow-peat to it, and in the dry Denver climate my soil was a dry, granular consistency that just fell right out of the plugger. I was able to simply dig little holes with my fingers in the loose dirt, drop a little water in, push some loose dirt back in, set the plug, pour water on, then step on the plug.

My main mistake was trying to mathematically cut the sheets into 1" plugs. I started with the sheet in the worst shape, and when I tried the one inch strip, divided by 10 plugs, I ended up with a lot of plugs that the dirt fell out and the dry blades fell off, so I couldn't even tell which side was up. Because of that, a lot of my earlier plugs did not take. I did almost two sheets with that method, and the second one that had more soil went a little better, but I was still ending up with some plants that were little more than a blade of grass and a small curly root (a lot of material was just falling off). I finally wised up, and started cutting the sheets the short way across, worrying less about 1" and more about getting a strip of sound roots, that could be cut into something I could hold in my fingers and plant. I ended up planting plugs about 1-1/4" instead of 1". That made the planting much easier, and I also had a much better success rate. I did get less coverage than planned, so ordered two more sheets. When they arrived a couple of weeks later, I used the second method, but was able to make the plugs even a little bit bigger --- though they haven't yet reached 45 days, I seem to have close to a 90% success rate with them.

I watered as directed for a couple of weeks, then we had a highly unusual monsoon season in Denver, with prolonged daily rain and thunderstorms every afternoon, evening and night for weeks (the latter plugs benefitted from that immediately). It rained so hard a few times that I did get some major wash out in my yard, which burried some of the plugs. The daily gullywashers finally stopped a week ago, and I've watered a couple of times since. I did fertilize once, after three weeks, with Miracle Grow in a hose sprayer.

In the part of the yard after I wised up, I now have a lot of little, viable, Zoysia patches. They're small, one to three inches across, and do resemble little crabgrass (like one person said) --- they're like horizontal tufts. The part that I planted first have a lot of plugs that simply are a couple of blades, but they are fresh shoots. They are alive, though I am not sure yet that they will survive. Between wash out and plugs that didn't make it at all, I estimate a 50% survival in what I planted with the 1" method, about 75-80% after I started cutting the plugs big enough to easily handle, and about 90% when I was more experienced with the second order.

I called Zoysia Farm today regarding the first order, talking to Shirley. She asked me some questions, then I explained everything as I have here. She asked me what percentage rate I estimated were successful, and I said probably about 65%. She said she would round up, and is shipping me two more sheets of the sod to honor their guarantee. She also suggested I do a soil test (which I probably should have done in the first place here in Denver). She was helpful and pleasant, and my experience has been positive.

Positive setauketny
Centereach, NY
July 4, 2011
I ordered my 1000 plugs of zoyisa in March of 2011. They arrived in April which concerned me slightly since i live in NY and can still get some frost that time of year. I put them in the ground right away because they didn't look great upon arrival. They were 95% brown with some spattering of green here and there. I followed the directions and plugged away for many hours. It was brutal. By the end I could not fathom cutting little one inch plugs any longer, so they grew in size as i went along. I honestly don't believe that any man on earth could follow through with the small plugs they suggest. Anyway, I was finally done and the 30-45 day wait period began. By the end of May the weather is nice and warm and i see the plugs starting to green up a bit. I do notice that the bigger 3-4 inch plugs I made towards the end are faring much better than the little ones. I check them every day as if there will be come magical growth, but slowly I have noticed progress. By June many of the plugs are shooting a slim little stalk into the air that appear to be covered with seeds or something at the top. I honestly have no idea what they are, but its growth and i love it. Its now July and I'm noticing that some of them are starting to really spread. Some have "runners" shooting from the sides and new leaves are starting to sprout from them. They are faring better when surrounded my my existing grass. Those are thick and green all of the time. I have a patch that is only plugs and soil and those are reacting far more slowly. The sun is on them all day and they get shriveled and appear to be dying until I water them. This "drought" resistant plant apparantly needs a hell of a lot more water then they say when its just them alone in the soil. Either way, its season one and things are looking good right now.
Neutral triliberty516
Levittown, NY
June 26, 2011
I am not going to bash this company. For all I know my yard next year might be a entirely different place or have the beginnings of that place I am dreaming of. I am just starting this process and don't know what my outcome will be. But I have read some very negative feed back on this board. I don't want to lump myself with these folks. I know my yard can be a success story and I will give this company the benefit of the doubt. I don't know Zoysia like they do. One thing I do know is that my brother has Zoysia and it is the most wonderful thing. He didn't plant it but the person who lived in his home prior to him plugged the yard and over the years it has filled in rather nicely. I watched this happen from a small 10 X10 to 40 X40 and growing more rapidly with each passing year. It is a beautiful carpet our children play on. My brother lives 5 minutes from me so I know I should be able to do the same thing in my yard. There is one thing I am confident in. I have a green thumb. We grew up on a 27 acre farm in western Pennsylvania so we are not novices when it comes to farming, planting and transplanting. I still keep a garden on long island and we do rather well.

I do have some complaints about what Zoysia Farms has advertised. These complaints are similar to others on this forum if not the exact complaints. And after some fighting with myself weather to send an email to them or not, tonight I did. Zoysia Farms has not responded yet but I am sure they will and promptly. So I can't provide you with their comments. What bothers me the most is that I watched a you tube video on the Zoysia Farms site showing their product and it's instillation process. The video featured beautiful green slabs of sod, root systems in great condition, the soil on the rear in place on the roots and scored for proper 1 by 1 cuts. It was a thing of beauty and got me very excited. But this is not what I received. I received brown sod with a few strands of green grass here and there on most of the pieces, many of the pieces of sod have portions of the root system with no soil at all just floating bare roots. I ordered 3800 plugs. I would guess about 18 to 20% are in poor shape to very poor shape. I was a little disappointed.

I started planting already and have worked my tail off. With some help from my son. I have been using all the sod even the many pieces without soil. I have followed each direction and after a few days after planting see some of the few green shots still there. This makes me hopeful. Then there are the pieces I planted that hand no green on them at all and the brown grass just fell off. There are many of these and fewer of the green ones but I am hopeful and will remain this way. I have not planted it all yet. The sod that has been removed from the box and moistened is starting to show some green and the blades are moving the dead to the side.

I will keep updating this as we go along.
Negative Angi7
Denver, CO
June 21, 2011
Posted on June 20, 2011, updated June 21, 2011
I live in Denver, CO and ordered these plugs in April 2011, and received in early May. I m very disappointed in the condition the plugs were received, the tool to use the plugs, the growth rate (or non growth rate) and response from the company. First of all, when I received the plugs, they were completely brown with very dry soil (did not look like the advertisement on the web page at all- which featured green grass plugs). The insert that came with the plugs explained that they were this way because they were dormant. The plugger that I ordered was rusty, and broke within an hour of use. So, I dug each hole by hand- quite a laborious task! Thirty days after watering by instruction, I have still not seen a single green blade of grass! Quite honestly, my yard looked better with a large bare spot, vs "dead-looking" plugs of grass- it is rather embarassing. I have talked with Zoysia, and maybe I just caught someone on a bad day, but they have been rather rude and non-supportive. The agent started off by telling me that I just needed to wait for 30 days. After telling her that I did, she changed her timeline to 45 days. They will not do anything to help me with this. I am ripping out these plugs to lay nice green sod. If you are going to purchase these plugs, I would strongly recommend that you read all of the negative reviews (wish that I had!), and if you still proceed, I would just be prepared to have a brown yard all summer. Defintiely a very poor option for Colorado!!
On June 21st, 2011, Angi7 added the following:

Perhaps Zoysia did not read my comments. I stated that I "watered by instruction". Not quite sure how the company reinterpreted this as "overwatering". While I appreciate the apology for the rude behavior from their agent, I find the reply to this comment very similar. It is not appropriate to twist and reinterpret words from comments- only to try to make your product seems as though it performs as stated, and that the only reason that the grass should fail would be due to user error. I am not interested in receiving additional brown, dead-looking plugs. At this point, I would like a refund for the products that I ordered that did not work. I believe that it is customary that when a customer is not satisfied with a product that is guaranteed, that the company offers the choice of a refund or product replacement. I do not want a product replacement (nor do I think that the other people who have posted negative comments). I simply would like to have my payment refunded for a product that did not work, and that I do not want to reinvest time with.
Company representative comment on June 21, 2011:
On Jun 21, 2011 10:36 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

We all have bad days, but that is not an acceptable excuse at Zoysia Farm Nurseries. We are here to help and support our customers or anyone who has questions about zoysia grass. We try to answer all the many thousands of calls we get each year in a cheerful, helpful and informative manner. Posts like this remind us we can always do better.

Dormant plugs might not look very healthy but the strength of the plant is in the roots and as long as they are planted they will be fine. It is impossible to tell which ones will or will not go dormant in transit. Mother Nature is in control of that, but if planted they will send up new green grass. That can take 30-45 days depending on local conditions. We ask every customer to give the plugs the full 45 days in the ground to send up the new grass. In this case, if the grass is still planted we will replace free any that don’t grow.

From this post it sounds like the plugs might have been a little over watered. After planting, the plugs should be lightly watered for 3 weeks (21 days) and only on days when it has not rained. Zoysia is a drought tolerant grass and too much water is a bad thing when the grass is getting established. Even if they were over watered we would replace any that do not grow.

The step-on-plugger should not have arrived with any rust and certainly should not have broken. Our policy is to rush a replacement as soon as notified. If the item is purchased separately we should have also offered the option of a refund of the purchase price.

I am sincerely sorry that this customers experience was less than acceptable. We have many happy customers in Colorado and we would like the opportunity to make it right for this one.

Positive Jim2008
Cumming, GA
June 17, 2011
I live 50 miles north of Atlanta. Got an insert mailer in March from the Zoysia Farms and decided to try to fix dead spots on the slope in the back yard. Didn't know what Zoysia grass was because in Texas, my former home, Bermuda is the king. In my Georgia back yard I had planted Bermuda as the predominate grass but some shading problems caused wash and dead spots.

Bought two "slabs" of grass sod accompanied by the free tool. Grass from Farms looked dead and dry but I saw green shoots close to some of the roots so figured all was well. Had to use sharp shooter shovel to cut sod into about two inch squares then toward the end of the last sod, realizing squares were eating too much sod, I began to tear apart the sod by hand, getting good roots. Supplied tool was given up on since the soil clogged the pipe. So I used the sharpshooter to cut a wedge into the soil and placed the roots in the wedge. After finishing planting the sod, I watered each wedge and tamped the wet soil onto the roots with my foot. It appears only about half the sod grew but WOW!

Bermuda is a very agressive grass and at first I was thinking the patches in the back yard were weeds but on closer inspection the Zoysia is driving out the bermuda - unheard of in my lawn career. I may have to put barriers at the sides of the house to prevent the Zoysia overtaking the bermuda front lawn as dictated by the homeowners assoc. I will have to wait out the growing for the lawn to cover, maybe a couple years. It would've helped if 100% of the sod "took" instead of half. At my location so far so good!
Positive OrganicDreamer
Indian Trail, NC
June 9, 2011
We are in charlotte. We had bought plugs from Zoysia Farm in 2005 and it came with the power auger drill.
The sod came was 70% brown but you could see green shoots in the middle. The soil as commented by many was missing on the edges on most of the sheets.
We started plugging the grass with 1-2" plugs in our yard, which is mostly white clay. Plugging even with the auger was a lot of work and so we kept the remaining sheets in our garage for a week or so and kept sprinkling water as instructed. It took us a while and lot of hard work to get all of it planted.
Though most of the plugs greened up a bit in next few weeks, some did not. I was sent replacement for those.
As it was in an existing lawn, we did not see any growth the first year. It slowly started snaking in the yard. It took the grass almost 3-4 years to significantly cover the area. This was one of the facts that is not stated clearly on the website. The grass takes longer than promised to spread.
The yard though now looks nice and almost free of weeds, except a tiny spurge kind , still manages to get through in some areas.
We reordered in 2009 again for the backyard and its started to finally run in thin rows. It would still take a year or 2 to cover.
We did not put any fertilizers in our yard and no weed killers at all. Once or twice we have thrown in some corn meal and some alfalfa. we did speard a layer of compost a couple years ago.
We do see lot of thatch build up, even though it has been hardly fertilized or watered.
Recently our neighbour asked what grass we have as they do not see any weeds in the front yard.
Except for the slow growth rate, we are very happy with zoysia.
Negative southjerseyman
Willingboro, NJ
May 31, 2011
I purchased 900 plugs spring (may) of 2010. upon recvg the sod, the sod was dry and brittle. They were very difficult to handle and cut . I tried my best to cut into the size recommended squares. the plug hole tool that came with the package was helpful but useless. the plugs were not green when they arrived, i just thought that it was shipped like that so the box won't get moist during shipping. anyway, they did not grow throughout the summer and did not come back up this spring 2011. I just called the main office and was told that I just missed the 1 year deadline and they could't help me. I did not know how fast this grass grew starting spring. Customer rep told me i should have called after i installed them. I told her i was giving it a chance to adapt to the ground. my main purchase was because i have clay in my soil and i was told it would grow. i now have No grass and a huge mess of plug dirt areas. this grass plug is Horrible and customer service did nothing to satisfy my needs. I will strongly not recommend anyone to purchase from this place Zoysia Farms Nurseries-. If they stand behind what they sell, maybe they should show it! I will take my business elsewhere and those who were waiting for my results on this grass. SHAME ON YOU!!! I purchased on 5/4/10 and called 5/31/11, really! you couldn't help me
Company representative comment on May 31, 2011:
On May 31, 2011 12:59 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

We want and will make this right for this customer.

Our nationally advertised guarantee is: if any plugs fail to grow new green grass within 45 days we will replace them free.

Plugs will send out new green grass shoots in 15 to 45 days. This is depending on soil and weather conditions. We ask that customers contact us within 60 days to exercise the replacement guarantee.

If some are not going to grow, we want to get free replacements to the customer quickly. We regularly extend the guarantee period to 90, even 180 days and in a few extreme cases beyond that, at the discretion of our customer service team.

We do need to draw the line somewhere and have traditionally taken a year as the point beyond which we can’t go. There are bound to be some that will fall beyond that time who will be upset that we did not extend it just another 20, 30 or 40 days, but having already extended the guarantee an additional 300 days we think we should have the right to say that is too far.

However, we are here to help customers succeed.

If this customer would be kind enough to re-contact us we will replace the full order free, attempt to understand why his grass did not grow the first time and provide any suggestion we might have to make the planting more successful this time.

Neutral missourian1
Liberty, MO
May 4, 2011
I live in the KCMO metro area and ordered 600 plugs from this place a couple of weeks ago. I had originally planed to just order the plugger as I have a few patches of zoysia in my yard and was just thinking that I would transplant what I had. After looking at the 400 plug package that included an additional 200 "free" plugs and the plugger "free" I decided to give it a go since it was only about $25 more for the 600 plugs than just the plugger alone. I recieved the plugs in much the same way that others have, what appeared to be brown dead grass on the top and scored into 1" plugs on the back. The brown didn't really bother me because it looked almost identical to the patches well established zoysia that is already in my yard that had yet to really green up for the year. Besides I think it is a little naive to expect much if any green grass from this type of plug. I am by no means an expert on grass. I couldn't identify one from the other if I had to. However it is my belief that what is more important than what the color of the grass on top is, is how healthy the root system is. The roots are what you want to grow. Once they are established then you will see the stuff on the surface grow and spread. I am not expecting to see much of anything from my plugs that I planted this past weekend until the end of next summer. If I get some before then...outstanding. But I figure it will take all of this summer for the roots to start growing and then next year the grass will start growing.

I am saying that I have had neutral experience because I just don't know what the outcome will be yet. I suspect that a lot of the negative stuff on here was premature. Given enough time, I can't help but think most all of the plugs will eventually grow, but that is just me. Zoysia is not for the modern day person that wants it fixed now. If that is what you are looking for, skip the pluggs and fork out the bucks for the sod.

My biggest complaint is 1) there wasn't enough dirt on the pieces of sod they shipped me and when I cut them up (which the 1" square thing is a joke) into 1.5 - 2" plugs often times I would end up with just the roots and no soil to go with the plug. Again I believe the roots to be the most important part and planted those bare plugs, but it made it more difficult. 2) The plugger they sent me worked well for 2-3 holes then it would clog up and I would have to clear it out. My recommendation would be to use to differnent sizes of pipe, one the size that is used for making the plug hole, but then have that connect to a larger pipe so that the next plug removed pushed the first plug into the larger pipe so that is no longer stuck in the original pipe. Don't know if I explained that well enough but...

Other than those two things...as of now I am satisfied with what I have received and planted. Hopefully next year my yard sees some of the plugs growing.
Negative karajake
Hagerstown, MD
May 3, 2011
Posted on April 28, 2011, updated May 3, 2011
IN 2006 I GOT 10000 PLUGS FROM THIS CO. AND WHEN BY ALL THEY TOLD ME TO DO BY THE LETTER AND TO THIS DAY. THEY HAVE NOT GROWEN AT ALL OR FILL IN CALL THEM ASK FOR HELP AND THEY DID NOT DO ONE THING TO HELP I ASK THEM TO COME AND TAKE A LOOK AT THIS I LIVE ONLY 20 MILES AWAY.BUT WHAT THEY SAID WAS TO BAD YOU WAITED TO LONG BUT I CALL THEM A FEW TIME OVER THE YEARS AND THEY SAID I TAKES TIME ITS ALL RIGHT ..I WOULD TELL ANY ONE NOT TO BUY ANY THING FROM THEM THEY ARE A JOKE.......
On May 3rd, 2011, karajake added the following:

THEY DID NOT HELP US AT ALL IN FACT I GOT 10,000 PLUGS NOT 1900 AND WE LIVE ALOT LESS THEN 80 MILES AWAY .... I JUST THINK THAT WITH THIS BAD GRASS THEY LIKE TO SEE IT SO OTHER PEOPLE WOULD NOT HAVE THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO THEM ... BUT THE SAME OLD THING YOU BUY IT AND SO WHAT......I DID ALL THAT THEY SAID AND GAVE IT A LOT OF TIME TO FILL IN BUT IT DID NOT ....... IT IS NOT THE MONEY BUT THE TIME AND WORK..........
Company representative comment on April 29, 2011:
On Apr 29, 2011 2:14 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

The customer contacted us on April 11 this year concerning their order for 1900 plugs shipped in July of 2006. We are sorry to learn of this situation and have attempted in numerous e-mails with the customer to understand the cause of why the plugs didn’t grow. To date, we have not been able to uncover a reason even though we are only 80 miles apart and enjoy similar climate.

We guarantee our plugs will take root and grow new green grass within 45 days and extend that guarantee for up to one year for free replacement if any fail to grow. We rely on the customer to contact us in a timely manner if they have any concerns. With so much time passing it is difficult to understand why they did not grow.

Positive bhennon
East Berlin, PA
May 1, 2011
I think what most people forget is that Grass is a natural product and is not going to be 100% perfect each and every time.

Here is my experience.

My Father and I split an order of 1900 plugs over 10 years ago. We each took 1000 plugs and planted 100 or so 1" plugs as per the instructions and the rest we planted using 5"X5" or larger sections to save time and to help guarantee growth.

By the end of that summer the Zoysia was not visible at all. It had been overtaken by the original grass.

When you think about it, we hadn't spent that much money so we weren't overly concerned that we didn't see any growth right away and frankly, having only spent $40ish for 1000 plugs, we figured lets try it and if it doesn't grow, then no big deal.

I had forgotten about the Zoysia the next year, until the end of the summer when we went a few weeks without rain and i noticed that there was a green patch of grass in my yard even though the rest of it was brown. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that it was the Zoysia and had "vined" out and was overtaking the yard. For the next two years, the Zoysia continued to grow. We moved out of the area but when we did, we left the new owners with about 500 sq feet of goof Zoysia grass that was spreading. My father was not as lucky. We did not notice any growth at his place until two years later, but it has been growing more noticeable ever since and after 10 years he has 400+sq feel of thick lush Zoysia and we think the slow growth is due to the fact that he doesn't get much sun in his yard.

I just bought 1000 plugs and planted 3"x3" at my new house and have high hopes. I spent $45 for 900 plugs. $45 is less than a lawn company wanted each month. I picked up the plugs on Sat and they were in decent shape but brown and dry (same as the batch 10 years ago). I look forward to some growth and now that i know the Zoysia Farms is only 50 miles from my home, will likely plant additional grass each year until the yard is full!

My experience with this company has been positive and i will continue to do business with them.

Keep in mind that this is a natural product and subject to imperfections and that growth is slow. You will not have a full lawn of zoysia next year and probably for may years to come unless you by enough sod to cover your yard from day 1.
Negative holloway9698
Reynoldsburg, OH
April 29, 2011
My experience is negative so far with this company. I received my shipment of zoysia grass yesterday (April 28, 2011) only to find that there was barely a root system on two of the slabs and instead of "cutting" the plugs apart, the slab just fell apart and I am unable to use any from that slab. The ones I could use were still shipped with barely a root system, but we will see how they grow. Unfortunately, since I could not use two of the "slabs" I could not plant my whole lawn, but I have severe doubt they will grow. When opening the boxes it almost seemed as though they were sitting out for more than a month due to the dryness and how brittle the grass was.

So far I am very disappointed, and hopefully the plugs that were planted take off and fill the whole lawn since I was unable to plug the whole thing. I recommend getting a landscape company and laying new sod down instead of plugging. Take if for what you will, you have been warned.
Company representative comment on April 29, 2011:
On Apr 29, 2011 2:28 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

We received an e-mail at 8:29 this morning from the Holloway’s alerting us to the situation and responded at 9:12 this morning indicating our willingness to replace any plugs they could not plant. We have apologized about the condition of this order and are awaiting information as to how many they would like us to replace.

Every plant should have roots and once planted they will grow. Plants and the dirt around the roots can dry out in shipment. That does not hurt the viability of the plant in the short term as long as they are planted they should be fine.

Zoysia plugs are not an instant solution like sod but they are an economical one compared to sod. In time the zoysia will spread and grow a beautiful lawn.

We hope we can turn this disappointment into a happy customer and save them some money too.

Neutral ho0424
Gaithersburg, MD
April 19, 2011
Right now is too early for me to rate this company and their product. so I give Neutral for now

at the beginning, I was very disappointed about the grass I received, they look like dead grass, a lot of soil falling while I cut it to 1 x 1 plug, the plugs from the first two were almost bare root, it forced me to cut it into bigger size.

April is rainy season in Maryland, luckily, we had couple thunder shower several days before I planted my plugs, so the soil was saturated, because of the bare root, I used the free step on plugger to make the holes, and covered the hole with the unplugged soil , press firmly by hand so the grass root have full contact to the web soil. and we still had couple thunder shower in the past week. Just about a week, I already see some new grass coming out on almost all the plugs.

I believe right now is the right time to plant the plugs. In Maryland, day time is about 60 to 70 degree, night time is about 50 degree, a lot of rain, something I did right was I use the unplugged soil to firmly fill in the hole again, just step on the plug is not enough .

Positive GregOroville
Oroville, CA
March 2, 2011
Posted on September 27, 2010, updated March 2, 2011
Posted on July 30, 2010, updated September 27, 2010
Posted on July 9, 2010, updated July 30, 2010
Posted on July 9, 2010, updated July 9, 2010
Posted on June 18, 2010, updated July 9, 2010
I had three main goals in mind when I decided to purchase the Zoysia grass plugs:

Goal #1, get a beautiful, low maintance lawn.
Goal #2, reduce the time it takes to maintain the lawn
Goal #3, hopefully reduce the allegories/pollens associated with weeds

The sod sheets arrived about one week after shipping from all the way across the US. I was pleasantly surprised, especially after some of these reviews, that my sod while dry, was not hay like (in texture), and had some green left in it. While examining the sod, I noticed that even while shipping, the grass was trying to grow new root shoots, so even though it may have looked rough, it was alive and trying to grow.

Here is a picture of what I received.

[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/06172010010.jpg[/IMG]

I was unable to cut more than 90 to 100 plugs out of the sheets and the score or cut marks where not visible. Based on the reviews on this and other sites, I prepared for that potential and “over ordered” two sheets.

Planting was very easy, but it was difficult to cut “perfect plugs”. Even while moist/wet, some plugs would come out picture perfect, but some were already missing the dirt (due to shipping or me not being careful unpacking) and those ones were more difficult to work with.

I welcome any of you to PM/email me for updates/pictures as this project progresses. I found that a lot of people do not update their experiences from their initial responses. For me, I hope to have a full lawn this time next year.

I know it is early, but so far I would say this experience a positive one. Again, if something changes, I will update and or encourage others looking into this option for an update if I forget.

On July 9th, 2010, GregOroville added the following:

Here is my 3 week update as promised. I know that Zoysia Farms says give it 6 weeks, but hopefully this will give other people a clearer view of my experiences.

The following pictures are of a 1/5 slice of sods that I had “left over”. I have had growth as shown in the pictures from the 1/5 sheet slices and the 3x3 inch size cuts, but no grownth that is obvious in any of the 1 inch size plugs that I planted.

The lack of any obvious growth in the 1 inch plugs is a big disappointment as it was the majority of the work. Also my “lawn” has been taken over by a clover weed as seen in the last picture. I guess I have to wait another 3 weeks to spray with any kind of weed and feed chemicals.

Pre Planting:
[URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/?action=view¤t=allplantednextday.jpg][IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/th_allplantednextday.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Sheets as I received them:
[URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/?action=view¤t=06172010010.jpg][IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/th_06172010010.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

1/5 sheet on 6-23
[URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/?action=view¤t=southinofficewindow.jpg][IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/th_southinofficewindow.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

1/5 sheet on 7-2
[URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/?action=view¤t=07022010043.jpg][IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/th_07022010043.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

1/5 sheet on 7-9
[URL=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/?action=view¤t=07092010066.jpg][IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/th_07092010066.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

On July 9th, 2010, GregOroville added the following:

Last try for pictures.

What I received:

Post Planting:

6-23-10:

7-2-10:

7-9-10:

On July 30th, 2010, GregOroville added the following:

As of today, I still do not see any growth in the 1 inch sized plugs. My larger plugs that I was seeing growth from seem to be regressing. The weather has been over 80 every day and the night time temps have been in the mid 60s. At the 3 week mark I reduced my watering from 15 minutes to 5 minutes. I kept it at 5 minutes due to the several days in a row over 100 degrees.
I called customer service today to activate my guarantee. I spoke with Shirley, she was very nice and asked me a bunch of questions. She thought that my tilling before planting brought up a bunch of dormant weed seeds and made things more difficult for me and at 5 minutes a day, I was not helping my Zoysia (she stated one a week). After the questions and answers they will be replacing my order at their next shipping date for my state.

[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/DSC_6591.jpg[/IMG]

Even though this has not worked out as I expected so far, I have to give Zoysia Farms a positive for standing behind their guarantee.

On September 27th, 2010, GregOroville added the following:

My second batch arrived last week. It arrived in much better condition than the first batch that I can only attribute to the much cooler trip across country it had in the UPS truck.

[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/1e24b3fd.jpg[/IMG]

Based on my previous experience with the plugs I decided not to try to cut and plant 1 inch square plugs, but to try a larger 3 or so inch plug. I realize that it may take more time to fill in, but I felt the trade off was worth it. During the time I was waiting for my shipment (I live in California and they only ship to CA 3 or so times a year), I spent a lot of time weeding, in which as the weather cooled down a little, I saw signs of the larger plugs coming back to life. Now, I still have not seen any growth of the 1 inch plugs, but the larger plugs seem to be coming back, well at least a few of them. Also I federalized with a recommended fertilizer this time which I did not do the first time.

[IMG]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj310/gregchico/Zoysia%20pictures/24e4a715.jpg[/IMG]

The color in the plugs that survived and are growing is a beautiful deep green that I look forward to seeing all over my front lawn.

I have a lot of confidence that this time it will work. I give Zoysia Farms credit for standing behind their product and offering advise (and taking fire on this forum). Yes, it was not my idea of a perfect way to spend a weekend, but I have a lot of confidence that it will be worth it in the long run.

On March 2nd, 2011, GregOroville added the following:

The average temperature has been sunny, but in the mid 40s. The fescue grass was growing tall from the winter rains along the perimeter and a few areas in the “lawn” area. I thought I noticed several plugs growing so I knocked down the fescue and low and behold I saw growing zoyzoia plugs. Not all of them are growing at the same rate, some of the larger patches (quarter sheets of sod) I planted are still the same size, but I can see green coming from what looks like a brown dead patch.

It looks like the 2-3 square inch plugs are doing the best. I have no way of differentiating my first batch from the second, but I would say my second planting was a success as I’m not seeing too many of the 1 inch plugs (or maybe some of them have grown already). It doesn’t look like I will have my lawn this summer, but by the way things are going, next year it will be grown in.

I still rate this a positive because between my son running and playing and my dogs running and digging on Daddy’s dirt lawn, nothing else has ever grown well, and this appears to be headed in the right direction, it will just take a little more time.

Company representative comment on July 30, 2010:
On Jul 30, 2010 3:40 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

I had a quick look and I can tell you the plugs in the pictures are doing just fine. The weeds however are out of control and at this point stealing nutrients from the zoysia plugs. I would suggest you treat the weeds with a broad leaf weed killer. Read the label carefully and make sure it is safe for application on zoysia grass.

The expectations for the growth of zoysia grass should be quite different from other grasses. After planting the plugs the plants will put all their energy into establishing themselves in their new home by growing new roots. You will not see any spreading initially. With, some water, sun and the soil nutrients the roots will grow and new green shoots will start to appear. Zoysia does everything slowly that is why it is the champion low maintenance grass, but you have to be patient.

Only once the roots are growing well will it start to spread, all be it slowly at first. Because the length of the growing season varies from region to region the total fill in will vary greatly, but it will spread to fill in your whole lawn. Be patient, very patient and in time you will have the low maintenance lawn you set as your top objective and because it does not go to seed it will not produce pollen. Its thick dense growth pattern will also crowd out weeds and eliminate their pollen as well. It will do everything to set our to accomplish.

I like what the manager of a championship golf course with zoysia fairways once told me, It took time to establish the fairways, but the more he left his zoysia fairways alone the better they seemed to do.

Positive zoysiagrass
La Verne, CA
October 4, 2010
there is some good info on this type of issue at this zoysia grass blog
Positive Devildogs89
Pleasant Hill, MO
September 30, 2010
***PLEASE READ COMPLETELY***

I received my plugs two years ago and was immediatly upset by the quality of the product as nearly all the soil had become dislodged in shipping and alot of the product was bareroots.

I called and complained as I was expecting easy to work with plugs. The customer service representative was neither helpful or empathetic and sounded like she had heard this 1000 times. She reiterated in monotone the company policy of replacing plug that didnt take.

Frustrated to say the least, I read all instructions and got out my drill and started plugging. I worked both curbs in front of my home along with about 1/2 my front yard. I didnt quite comprehend the work involved and had overordered on my first order. I got as many plugs in and burned up my drill in the process before taking the last three sheets and tossing them into the open lot behind my home.

That was nearly two years ago today, and I took it as a lesson learned and money wasted. My wife got ample enjoyment out of my blood sweat and tears on this one and reminded me about 20 time "I told you so".

Yesterday as I was out plugging my curbs and transplanting the most incredible zoysia from the curbs to my yard about half my neighbors stopped to ask why I was "tearing up" my beautiful curbs. I explained I was just plugging it into my yard and it would self repair.

I noticed small light brown patch last year when the weather turned in November in about a 3 foot area and bragged to my neighbor in humor how this cost me nearly $150.00 to get that brown patch. As we constantly critique one anothers yard he smirked and Im sure was jumping for joy on the inside when he commented "Impressive".

But another year has passed and around June I really started to see growth throughout the curb of the most uniform and lush stand of zoysia you can imagine. As summer wore on here in Missouri, the weather got unbearably hot and dry. The grass started going dormant and burning up throughout the neighborhood and even my yard -- all except my Amazoy -- It got stronger and remained green throughtout this time with no extra watering on my part.

One neighbor stated that a few of them on the end of the street were talking about getting "whatever" I had in their curbs and yards after my results this year.

My next door neighbors use a lawn company with overseeding and monthly treatments and over one quarter of their yard died off along with a completely lost curb area minus a few green patches of crabgrass.

I 100% recommend this product along with a little patience and some good elbow grease to get you going. I am tempted to get another order next year in the late spring to start working it into my backyard as I dont have the patience to wait and draw off a 100 good sized plugs annually from the curbs.

As a sidenote I have alot of clay in my yard and the plugger they send is nearly worthless as while it did pull the first 20 plugs out of my yard after that the weld started to fail and the whole thing broke apart within the first sheet of plugs. Also I did not cut 1 inch plugs but went for large chuncks and was able to get about 25 to 30 per sheet of plugs. Other than these two things the whole thing reminds me of a wonderful comeback story........I am sold on this product and it I ever move I will get a sod cutter and take it with me HAHA!!!!
Positive dspielde
Woodbridge, VA
August 4, 2010
I live in Northern Virginia and have ordered plugs the past three years in August. I cut the plugs from the sheets using a sharp steel butcher knife and a block of wood and have usually get around 90% of the total plugs from each sheet. Generally, the sheets are in good condition when they arrive as shipping is usually 1 day. I planted 9 plugs/sq.ft the past two years using the auger that I received some years back when ordering way to many plugs to plant in the time that I had available. Last years planting is nearly 100 percent ground cover now so survival was very good except in a few places where crab grass was a problem. Fortunately, I have sandy soil which pulverizes when drilled in dead sod sprayed with Roundup at least 1 week prerviously. Planting is time consuming and requires complete fill of holes and packing of soil around the plugs to assure that roots can grow into undisturbed soil. With daily watering as recommended, the survival rate is excellent. I have a degree in agriculture and my recommendation is to wait until Zoysia is actively growing before attempting to plant it with the 1 inch square plugs as it will actively grow roots into undisturbed soil which is critical to survival through summer and the first winter. My supply of plugs just arrived this year in reasonably good condition considering the weather the past month or so in our area and I plan to plant them and sprinkle the area with Miracle grow that has preemergent weed control that will kill sprouting weeds. This will be my last purchase of plugs as I will have sufficient area of good Zoysia to pull my own plugs to plant additional areas in the future.
For beginners, I recommend ordering enough plugs to plant a few hundred square feet maximum and having an area where the supply can be set over good potting soil to take root with daily watering while plugs are planted properly in the desired area. I also recommend killing existing vegetation because it is much easier to drill holes and put soil back into the holes.
Company representative comment on August 5, 2010:
On Aug 5, 2010 11:23 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

Some good advise here. Late summer or early fall can be a great time to plant Amazoy as this post describes. Spring fever is what motivates many but fall is just as good a time to pant.

A word of caution about Round Up, it does a very good job of killing actively growing vegetation including grass. It should never be used post planting. Pre-emergent weed killers prevent the weed seeds from germinating into next seasons weeds. Application of both before planting is of great assistance in helping plugs to prosper by reducing competition.

Negative BrownFingers
Marietta, GA
August 3, 2010
First batch of 1800 plugs was shipped on 03/18 and arrived the following Monday. I removed them from the boxes and they looked dead. I watered them daily until the weekend when I could plant them which took forever as there were no longer any markings when cutting the one inch squares. After planting the first batch, I felt good and ordered some more to cover another area.
The second obatch was shipped on 04/07 and arrived the following Tuesday also looking dead but had more green on the top. I followed the same process until the weekend. This time when planting the plugs, I used a Scotts fertilixer soil which I added to the holes.
This batch seemed to go green faster.
I've watered as suggested and initially thought it would turn out great. Unfortunately, it did not. We've had many days of extreme heat and even though I've been watering, the plugs have been dissappearing.
I contacted Zoysia Farms and received an email and then a survey in the mail. I completed the survey, sent it back, and then - NOTHING.
More than 50% of the plugs have not materialised and mainly from the first batch. Even if Zoysia Farms shipd another 1800 plugs, I'm not sure I want to go through the back breaking effort again of planting them.
I suppose the ones that are green and will grow and will eventually cover the whole are, probably six years from now so it make no sense to try another grass and spens more money. My neighbors and I will have to put up with the unsightly pathes and weeds for the next number of years.
Company representative comment on August 5, 2010:
On Aug 5, 2010 10:53 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

Amazoy zoysia is a drought tolerant grass. Zoysia does everything slowly and in the heat of summer there can be a great urge to water the grass to help it along, but this is potentially fatal to zoysia. Over watering is almost the worst thing that can be done to zoysia as it will damage the roots.

Newly planted plugs, only require watering for three weeks and that should only be a light misting for about 15 minutes a day. Anything more will discourage the plant’s roots from seeking moisture and heat protection deep in the soil. Over watering usually results in shallow rooting plants which are them potentially susceptible to either water or heat damage.

We do not recommend adding any granular fertilizer or fertilizer enhanced soil when planting zoysia plugs. We expressly say in our planting instructions “DO NOT us ordinary granular fertilizers. They can burn or cause damage” to your lawn and roots of new zoysia plantings. Our instructions say “use only water soluble fertilizers”.

Now the good news, -even though it sounds like the grass might have been getting too much water and a type of fertilizer expressly not recommended by us – we stand behind our guarantee to replace any plugs that do not grow no matter what the cause. We ask customers seeking replacement to fill out a short 7 question survey to help us identify what issues might have hindered the plugs growth and make suggestions. Once the survey is returned we schedule a replacement shipment along with any suggestions we might have and a refresher set of planting instructions. It’s as risk free and simple as that.

Negative captcbx
Prescott Valley, AZ
July 17, 2010
DO NOT DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY... READ THE NEGATIVE FEEDBACKS. This is my second try with the Zoysia product. The first 600 plugs resulted in about 20 total greening up. I blamed the failure on my installing them very later in the year with perhaps too little sunlight . I tried 200 more in spring time. The product looked dead when it arrived (straw as most people are describing it) . Of this 200, I had zero green up after 45 days of very careful watering and 6 hours of Arizona sunshine. Zoysia offer to send me some more dead sprouts, but I'm not going through that much work again. I cant believe the company would rather have another negative feed that send me $18.00.
Company representative comment on July 28, 2010:
On Jul 28, 2010 8:44 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

We attempt to resolve customer issues of this type as per our nationally advertised guarantee to replace any plug that fails to grow. We have honored this guarantee without question for over 50 years. We do this so the customer is guaranteed the lawn for which they paid.

We are selling a living product that needs care if it is to grow. To protect the customer against any risk the plants don’t grow, we offer our replacement guarantee. Our guarantee is there to protect the customer against any such eventuality no matter what the cause. If the customer believes they should get replacement plugs, that is good enough for us. We believe this is more than fair to all concerned.

The only way to protect against frivolous or fraudulent requests for refunds is a replacement guarantee.

Negative dermit1
May 31, 2010
The zoysia plugs I ordered from Zoysia Farms were in very poor condition and looked nothing like in their advertising. They were not scored AT ALL so I had to cut the pieces off myself which resulted in approximately 1/3 the amount. There was very little dirt on the sod so the roots were very dry; it was sometimes difficult to tell the grass from the roots!! They both looked like straw! The plugger became very dull half way through the planting to the point that it would not even cut into the dirt anymore. The edge used for stepping on bent. I contacted Z.F's to ask if I should kill the existing grass and weed area with Roundup. They advised "Yes." I did so and waited for the appropriate planting time. The problem was...By the time the zoysia turned even a partial, weak green, the area filled in completely again with unwanted grass! I couldn't even see the zoysia. The whole process is painstakingly grueling! It takes a LONG time to put all the plugs in the ground with no results! I will never do this again. It was a huge waste of time and money.
Company representative comment on June 2, 2010:
On Jun 2, 2010 8:29 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

Every posting contains interesting observations with opportunities to learn from the experience of others.

The comment about the weed and grass herbicide Round-Up is one I have not seen previously. Grass and lawn weeds can be killed using Round-up once they have started to grow. This product is absorbed through the leaves. It should only ever be used before planting the zoysia plugs - never after. The weeds that appeared later would have come from seeds in the soil that had not yet germinated into new plants at the time the Round-up was applied. The Round-up would not have killed the seeds. The seed could have been controlled by applying a pre-emergent product which attacks seeds before they can become the next generation of weeds.

The good news is the posting indicates that Amazoy zoysia has started to grow and once it starts it would be a very rare situation where it did not continue to grow and spread eventually choking out the weeds. The application of a pre-emergent product early next spring will prevent the seeds produced this year from growing again next year. For now any commonly available broad leaf herbicide will keep the weeds under control this summer and help the zoysia to spread. Always read the labels carefully to make sure the product is safe for use on zoysia lawns.

We harvest fresh grass from our farms daily for processing, packaging and shipping direct to our customers. They are packed and shipped the same day. During transit the grass will start to go dormant due to lack of light, water and nutrients. Additionally the soil can start to dry out and the scoring either rub off or disappear if the soil falls away. Fortunately the viability of the grass is in the roots and as long as the roots are planted the product will grow.

We recommend 1 inch plugs as that is the most cost effective way to start a zoysia lawn. The most economical is 1 inch plugs planted 1 foot apart. The size of plug and how far apart they are planted is entirely up to the individual customer. The bigger and closer they are planted the faster the fill in will be, but it will be more expensive. Establishing a new zoysia lawn is more effort than just throwing down more grass seed again every spring and fall. It can become a bit monotonous too, but having a partner to work with you will make the job more pleasant and go much more quickly.

Finally as to the step-on-plugger, it really helps if the soil is moist. It works best in loam or sandy type soils. Hard packed dirt or stony soil will eventually dull the plugger and if the soil is really hard it is possible to bend the step on plate. For clay type soils or stony soils we recommend our power auger. http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/category.jsp?id=10

Negative zoysiafarmstink
Primos, PA
May 26, 2010
i wish i read this site before i ordered from zoysia farms. when the reviews are 50/50 that should be enough to tell someone to not order from this place.

i got hooked on the guarantee. i placed my order and got the plugger. my order came when the grass came in season for them to cut and send it. i had watered my lawn a lot for a couple days before the plugs arrive. the plugger ended up breaking on the part you step on. i am an average weight person (cheap welds i guess) and i ended up having to buy another plugger elsewhere. the "plugs" did not come as plugs but as sheets of sod. they were brown and dry and looked like dried hay. because i wasnt expecting sod i then had to go buy something to cut the sod with (more money spent now). i tried cutting one inch plugs but all the dirt and roots would fall off so i cut bigger manageable pieces that the grass could handle. needless to say i didnt get the 150 plugs per sheet of sod.

i planted and watered them as directed but after a few weeks, no progress. they told me to keep waiting. after another couple weeks, still no progress, i pulled a few plugs and saw there is no root growth or attachment. i emailed them and they told me i had to wait the 45 days for the guarantee to kick in. so 45 days just came and went and i put in my "claim" for my new plugs becuase as i predicted weeks prior, these things were dead. now i have to wait for a form to be MAILED to me (not emailed). i have to fill it out and send back. then they will send new plugs. this will take another couple weeks (according to them) until i get my new plugs. by this time it will be summer and everyone knows nothing grows well in summer.

should have went with the seed if i wanted zoysia that much or should have stuck with my standard, re-seeding in the spring and fall and i wouldnt have a bunch of bare spots on my lawn now. this company stinks
Company representative comment on May 27, 2010:
On May 27, 2010 10:04 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

I am very sorry to learn that the step-on-plugger broke. We would have rushed a replacement if we had been contacted. Over the 50 years in business we have supplied literally millions of these pluggers with very few problems, but they are not unbreakable.

Our plugs are shipped in 10 inch by 15 inch sheets. Every advertisement we run, every piece of literature we produce and our website all show pictures http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/plantzoy.jsp of the sheets of grass and describe the plugs being supplied in sheets that must be cut into individual plugs using a sharp utility knife or garden shears. This information is placed right next to the guarantee in our ads and literature in the hope every reader will see this information. We want customers to be aware of what they are purchasing. The best surprise is no surprise.

Zoysia grass by its nature is slow growing (that is why it doesn’t need to be cut as often - I have not cut mine yet this year), but that can be frustrating for some new to zoysia that want instant growth or lawn. Patience is the key. Plant as per the instruction, mist daily for 21 days, give it 21 more days to establish root hold in the ground and to send up new green shoots.

If for any reason our plugs don’t grow they are replaced free without question. That is a guarantee no one else makes. Our survey is only to make sure if something is done wrong we catch it and share what should be done before the replacement plugs are delivered and planted. The survey is for the customer benefit, not ours. It only takes a few minutes and we can usually do this over the phone if the customer wants. Because of computer viruses, we and many customers do not like to receive or send attachments for obvious reasons. That is why we do the survey on the phone or via mail.

Fortunately because Amazoy zoysia loves the heat of summer it is a great time to plant plugs. I planted some last year in the full heat of July. I waited for the cool of early evening to plant and it worked out great. Amazoy zoysia is a warm season grass that is both heat and drought tolerant and one of only a few turf grasses that can be planted in the summer.

We want our customers to be successful and are here to help.

Negative zoysiadude
Jackson, TN
May 18, 2010
Posted on May 18, 2010, updated May 18, 2010
I ordered 2000 plugs and received sheets of sod with no scoring, in other words, they were not plugs. They were brown and I was told that they were dormant. This is consistent with zoysia so I went along. I have Meyer z52 which has been already sodded in my yard for 5 years. I have Empire sod which I have sodded in several areas and also made into plugs from Lowe's over 2-3 years. I have prepared .25 acre and seeded Zenith and Compadre with success, and I have plugged El Toro and seen the results with that over 4 years. It appears that part of the plugs may live, estimate 1/10. Also, the 2000 plugs were really more like 700 since they were not pre-cut or in separate containers, that was about as small as I could cut them and still have something to plant(yes they were pre moistened by me). Suggest buy sod sheet from local grower and cut into plugs rather than going this route if you don't want to buy plugs which are ?plugs? I spent 30-40% of my time cutting the plugs. My one positive is the auger drill bit that I got with the order which worked well, except it was designed for 1 and 1/2 inch plugs and not one inch plugs.
On May 18th, 2010, zoysiadude added the following:

I just wanted to add that my negative (not yet) isn't for the growth of the plugs or the brownish state that they were received in, it is for the fact that they were not plugs. They did not just need to be separated, but cut into plugs by me with sod cutters, with a blister to prove it.
Company representative comment on May 21, 2010:
On May 21, 2010 12:38 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

Our plugs are shipped in sheets of grass measuring 10 inches by 15 inches, which when cut into 1 inch plugs will yield 150 plugs per sheet. Many people choose to make the plugs bigger which will produce fewer plugs from each sheet. In our opinion the cutting into plugs is not a difficult task with one big proviso, that a sharp set of garden shears is used. Anything less will make the task much slower, more difficult and just might produce quite a few blisters.

We ship in sheets of grass for two primary reasons. Firstly it helps the grass and soil retain moisture while in transit. The second is for ease of handling for us here at the farm and for the customer once is arrives at their home.

There are other benefits, one of which is that it allows the customer the option to cut and plant bigger plugs. Some customers like bigger plugs and plant them further apart. Some like to cut smaller plugs and plant them closer together. Amazoy zoysia being a spreading grass, the closer the plugs are planted the faster they fill into a beautiful lawn, but that might not be the most practical for some.

The rule of thumb is the smaller the plug and the further planted apart is the most economical but will take longer to fill in. The bigger the plug and closer together they are planted, will produce a shorter fill in time, but will be more expensive. Smaller plugs planted closer together or bigger plugs planted further apart produces something in between on cost and time. We always think it is best to give the customer the option to do what best suits them.

One last point, our auger does make a hole slightly bigger than 1” because we have all heard the saying about trying to fit a square plug into a round hole? No - the real reason is, even if the plug is cut a littel big it will still fit.

Positive HowieFelch
Wakefield, MA
May 11, 2010
Posted on April 29, 2010, updated May 11, 2010
Posted on April 29, 2010, updated April 29, 2010
Posted on April 26, 2010, updated April 29, 2010
Posted on April 25, 2010, updated April 26, 2010
Posted on June 29, 2009, updated April 25, 2010
I live in MA. and a close neighbor has zoysia grass in their front lawn. It was there when they bought the house 20 years ago. They do not know what variety of zosia it is. I really like the way it works in their front lawn. They love it too, but they wish it would take over the rest of their property, as they cannot seem to get it to spread over the entire 1/2 acre or so of yard they have, even after all these years. I recommended fertilizing it and perhaps trying eradication of the existing grass. They said they have never fertilized, and I think that may be the reason it has not spread for them as well as it could, even though it is taking over their next door neighbor's front lawn. I really want to use it in my back yard, which has not the best soil, and I am hoping it will spread into the back yards of my neighbors on both sides, whose lawns are a mess of mud and weeds. So I would really like to know the best way to help it along in it's spread. I plan on buying plugs forthwith.
On July 10th, 2009, HowieFelch added the following:

I ordered some plugs after making my last post, and they arrived yesterday. I had about 8 pieces of sod in the box I received, plus the step on plugger.
The sod was actually still somewhat green, and did not look too bad on the topside. The underside seemed pretty dry. I proceeded to cut the sections into "plugs" with garden shears. They cut fairly easily, but in no way was I ever going to get 150 plugs from each sheet. It is just not possible, due to the dryness of the soil. So much soil flakes off, that by the time I finished cutting, I was left with some 300 plugs, and a big pile of soil, grass blades, and root segments. I truly believe that it is impossible to get the advertised # of plugs from each sheet unless you are using the same kind of stamping device they must have used to score them. In fairness, I was able to see the scoring marks on some of the sod segments, and, if they held together, and you could realistically cut them along those lines scrupulously, you would, in theory, get 150 per piece, but it is in no way feasible, IMHO. I was not really disappointed, because, due to other customer accounts I have read, I expected this. I debated using several variations on the planting method, but in the end decided to "do it their way" and did my best to follow the instructions as written. The plugger was a fairly good tool and worked well all in all. I felt it was well built and sturdy. A nice surprise. I planted three patches in areas of my lawn. 2 in the back yard, and 1 in the front. All were placed in areas that receive nearly constant sun during the day, and were already fairly bare of grass due to that fact. I made an effort to put all plugs along the trail of bare spots or patches, following the instruction suggestions.
The work went quickly, and my wonderful wife helped me during the actual setting of the plugs in the soil. Not as hard work as I thought it would be.
When I expended my supply of whole plugs, I wondered what to do with the big pile of dirt, roots and grass I had left, and decided I would rake up another bare patch as deeply as I could score the earth with a one handed mini rake, and toss the stuff on top, wet it, and see what happens, and that is what I did. Now I will wait and see. I plan to post some pix on "flikr" or some-such, and will add a link when I can. I will also update with my progress for those who are interested. This is an experiment for me, and I'm doing it out of curiosity as well as desire to get my yard, particularly my back yard, in order.
I was just fascinated by the idea of not needing to water, weed or fertilize as much, and trying to be a little "greener" with my landscape.
On July 11th, 2009, HowieFelch added the following:

Here is the URL for the photobucket page with pix of my plugs. I will take photos every couple of weeks or so and update for anybody who would like to see: < http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/DrFelch/

On April 25th, 2010, HowieFelch added the following:

I have now been able to assess the initial success of the plugs I planted at the end of last summer. The honest truth is, I have had VERY GOOD progress. It is very interesting. While in many cases, the plugs themselves only had a few leaves coming out, I now have little "tufts" of this stuff popping up everywhere in my backyard, and also along the areas in my front yard that I put several plugs in. In the backyard, I set most of the plugs along the border of a certain area where I had trouble maintaining grass growth. I also spread the "leftovers", as described in my earlier post, across another adjacent area. I would like to tell you all, honestly, the stuff seems to be running wild in my backyard, along my fence line, with tufts appearing up the wooded, banked area along my back fence, which borders a railroad track. It has filled in about 50% of the interceding, mostly grass and weedless area in front of my shed, and new tufts are breaking ground. I mowed it, and it already looks pretty good. I did not in any way expect the level of success that I had, although I had hopes. I even had good luck with the patch I spread the leftovers on. Really great! I have ordered more plugs and plan to infest my front yard with this stuff, wholesale, and also to do the other side of my back property line, and I will continue to review the results here. Thank you Zoysia Farms Nurseries, or whatever you name is, :-) I love this junk. it is finally going to give me a good looking back yard.
On April 26th, 2010, HowieFelch added the following:

Out of curiosity, I was just out in the yard, trying to measure the distance of the furthest tuft of new growth zoysia from its nearest site of a planted plug. The furthest one I could confirm and measure was about 32 ft away from the nearest plug site. I must have some very good soil or other conditions, because this stuff is running all over the place. We had horrible rains this spring, and my backyard was absolutely saturated with water, and had some standing water in puddles, briefly, right near the sight of my plug plantings. I worried that this would kill my zoysia grass, but, on the contrary, as I said, I probably would not be able to stop the spread of this stuff, even if I wanted to, the way things seem to be going. The progress is slow, I suppose, but the tufts I am getting are extremely thick and robust, and, like I said, they are spreading around across a very wide area of my yard, considering the very small patches I planted. I will be taking detailed pix and posting them on the above linked photobucket page.
On April 29th, 2010, HowieFelch added the following:

Photos posted of zoysia progress as of today.
On April 29th, 2010, HowieFelch added the following:

One of the best illustrations of the creeping effect:Rear fence line #1
On May 11th, 2010, HowieFelch added the following:

I received my second batch of plugs yesterday. They were similar in every way to the first batch, mostly brown, some green, fairly moist, but got dry quickly if not moistened. I placed them in remaining bare spots around my yard. I also received the "power auger" as a free add on to my order. I must say, IMHO, the step on plugger is a far better tool. The power auger tool is some 6 inches long, meaning you must bend way over to make the holes for your plugs, and it seemed like it was difficult to not make the holes too deep with it. I tried it out, and went straight back to the step on plugger. Things are moving right along with my already planted zoysia. It is spreading like wildfire. Truth be told, I probably could have just let things be and not ordered the second batch, but I would really like for things to be fully established by the end of this growing season, inasmuch as that is feasible.
Company representative comment on July 10, 2009:
On Jun 30, 2009 9:05 AM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries responded with:

It is most likely that your neighbor has Meyers Z-52 released by the USDA. Meyer Z-52 (Amazoy) continues to be the only zoysia that is cold hardy enough to withstand New England winters (while prospering in their hot summers) and sold by Zoysia Farm Nurseries for over 50 years.

One of the benefits of Amazoy zoysia is its low requirement for fertilizer. One application a year is all that is required in northern climates. Generally this should be applied between April and mid July. Only fertilizers that say they are specifically for zoysia should be used. If the label does not state for use on zoysia there is significant chance of damaging a zoysia lawn. Most granular type fertilizers will damage zoysia grass.

Nutri-20 is a water-soluble fertilizer developed by us specifically for zoysia grass. It insures successful feeding of a zoysia lawn every time. This is available on our website.

Zoysia is a spreading grass but will not spread into very shady or particularly damp or wet areas. Either of these situations might be preventing the zoysia from spreading as described in this posting. An alternative course of action would be to take some plugs from the established areas and transplant them into areas where the zoysia is wanted. It is certainly an economical way to expand a zoysia lawn and successfully done by many of our customers. Our step-on-plugger was specifically designed for this purpose and is also available on our website.

Now is a great time to start a zoysia lawn while it is growing most actively. Amazoy loves the long hot days of summer and stays naturally green when most others have turned brown.

On Jul 10, 2009 2:06 PM, Zoysia Farm Nurseries added:

Having a partner to help is a great asset with a project like this. It makes the planting go much more quickly.

Sweeping up the bits of grass and earth and planting it is a good idea. If there are any nodes from which roots can be established, they should grow as long as they are watered just like the plugs. This is similar to a transplanting method some call sprigging. It is generally used when doing very large areas. Generally this is a less successful way to transplant zoysia because of the lack of control over planting depth and watering large areas. Plugs remain the best and most successful way to establish a zoysia lawn.

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Keep up the light watering for about 15 minutes per day over the next three weeks and then relax and be patient. Zoysia does everything slowly.

Neutral FloridaRacer
Cocoa, FL
May 9, 2010
Posted on April 27, 2010, updated May 9, 2010
Well, I figure I will add my experience, as limited as it may be now.

The plugs arrived in a timely mannor (within 2ish weeks), and they were exactly as described in other posts... brown, dry blocks of sod. If there were any score marks on the back side, they crumbled off in the shipping. Documentation everywhere says that they are dormant and supposed to be brown, so I am not worried about that. As the plugs were so dry, and there was so little dirt clinging to the roots, there really was no way of cutting the blocks of sod into 1" squares we tried and just ended up with a handfull of grass clippings... I am glad that I purchased 2Xs what was recomended as the smallest we could cut them was 2"x2" with the dirt falling away. (yes the sod pieces were damp)

It took the good part of 3 days to get the 3800 plugs (really 950ish as we couldn't cut them as small as zoysia farms recomends) planted. we did as they recomended and stepped on the plugs after planting to ensure good root contact with the soil. The lawn had been prepared by watering the days prior (to ensure the ground was damp enough to plant), and the lawn had been SCALPED with my new mower set as low as possible. All large weeds had been hand pulled, and the smaller weeds had been eliminated by using weed-b-gone the week prior (as recomended by zoysia farms)

So, where are we now... It's been two weeks, Temperatures have been in the low 80s, and I have been watering for 15 minutes each day as recomended, on the days that we've had light rain, I have not watered, and on the heavy rain days, I have skipped watering the next day as well. A few (like less than 10) of the plugs show a tiny bit of new growth, the rest look like dead brown hair plugs in my lawn. I do have to say that the bahaia that the zoysia is supposed to be replacing is LOVING the water each day.

So, let's see what happens... I will update every two weeks to let everyone know what the status is. Hopefully this will end with a "I'm loving my zoysia lawn" post. As I see Zoysia Farms monitors this site, I welcome their comments and recomendations as I'm sure my situation is quite common, and I am very motivated to make my yard as beautiful as their site shows zoysia can be.

Thanks.
On May 9th, 2010, FloridaRacer added the following:

nearly 2 more weeks and still neutral.

I had been following the same pattern (watering 15 minutes every day), and being very careful not to over-water. I stopped the daily watering about a week ago, and now am watering the yard only 2-3 times per week.

The Temperatures have climbed with it being in the high 80s and low 90s during the day. Morning dew, and fog.

Some...( and I mean less than 1/10-1/8th) of the plugs are showing 1-2 green shoots coming through. The rest look like a bad brown hair plug job in the sea of green bahaia.

I had to mow today as the bahaia (as I said before) is thriving with all the water. I set the mower to the HIGHEST possible setting (my mower looked like a jacked up monster truck) to keep the bahaia under control. The mower blades didn't get near the zoysia plugs.

Another thing starting to get out of control is weeds! As recomended by zoysia farms by phone, a few weeks prior to planting, I used weed-b-gone. That took care of my weeds, however now it seems I am having a severe weed problem. Again, I think all the water helped the weeds spread. However I am unable to use a weed killer as the planting instructions state not to use a week killer for 45 days.

So, I do see some progress... but it just doesn't seem like the majority of the plugs "took". I will continue working on my yard, and every 2 weeks giving an update.

Positive peppilappu
Orlando, FL
April 20, 2010
Im new here but I would like to post my results using the Zoysia plugs.
I installed the plugs when I lived in Greensboro NC. It took all weekend to plug a 1/4 acre property.
It took most of the year for the plugs to take and I didnt see the full benefit until the next growing season.
The grass was very nice after the second season and I think most of my neighbors agreed I hade the nicest lawn on the street. What I liked most was the grass took very little water, about 1/10 of Kentucky Bluegrass the rest of the neighbors had.

I now live in Florida. To be totally honest, I will not use the plugs again. It took way too long to establish. My new property is over 6 acres so I'll likely cover around the house (25000 SQFT) with Soysia sod and the rest Ill seed with Bahia.

At 25000 sqft, Sod is very expensive (around $8000 installed). I could save about $6000 going to plugs but I dont have the patience for the two year fill in period. Especially since this is new construction and by code to get CO you have to have 15 ft around the house covered with sod.

My two cents.