The scoop on 'Select Seeds Antique Flowers'

Select Seeds Antique Flowers

Select Seeds Antique Flowers has 671 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Select Seeds Antique Flowers is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

180 Stickney Hill Road
Union, Connecticut 06076-4617 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-684-0395
Fax: 1-800-653-3304

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of plants and seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive FrankHodal
Adelphi, MD
April 16, 2014
Quality of plants excellent. Selection of plants unique and hard to find elsewhere. Solid packaging. Recommended.
Positive WTCHHoDog
Monroe, OR
April 16, 2014
My fellow Oregon garden pal and I put in an order for both seeds and plants. We both live in very old homes, hers from the early 1900's and ours was built in 1879, so we are always trying to find plants correct to the period. We always order both from many different suppliers, mostly big, well known ones. Most of the live plants ordered from the big names arrived dead or dying and are being replaced. The live plants from Select Seeds arrived fresh, healthy and HUGE! Once planted, they took off like rockets. As for the seeds, one of the best germination rates thus far for almost everything. Convolvulus thus far has been the only total failure and it just may have been my handling, so I'm trying another batch to see. Otherwise, it was 100% or nearly that for everything else.

I absolutely will be adding SS to the top of next years order list. This was our first time ordering from them and we are overwhelmingly impressed.
Positive ebsgirl04
Gallatin, TN (Zone 7a)
April 15, 2014
My seeds arrived with clear concise directions for when and how they should be planted. My plants arrived in great condition and I am excited to get them planted and see them grow.
Positive ButterflyHost
(Zone 9b)
April 4, 2014
After ordering in January, the long wait for the glaciers to recede up north was well worth it. The plants arrived safe and sound in very sturdy packaging. Not a single broken leaf - even on the coleus varieties.

Positive jas7mine
Auburn, CA
April 2, 2014
I received my Digiplexis Illumination Flame today. I live in Auburn, California and the plants were as fresh looking as if I had gone to my neighborhood nursery to purchase them. The leaves were bright green and not tattered like some mail order plants are. When the box arrived, it was crushed on one end and I was afraid the plants would be damaged. The packaging was so secure that there was no damage at all to the plants. I will definitely purchase more plants from Select Seeds. Thank you for your excellent service.
Camille Tomich
Positive cotsygardens
Gahanna, OH
February 18, 2014
I have ordered from this company for several years and have always been satisfied with their seeds and plants. I like that they carry the occasional unique item!
Positive lexcrs
Lexington, KY
January 14, 2014
It's that time of the year when i'm loaded down with plant and seed catalogs. I always spend several hours looking at the beautiful pictures of all the wonderful plants and dream of having a garden large enough to plant all of them in it. Even though i look at all the catalogs, Select Seeds is the only one i order from.

Simply put, they have great seeds and are wonderful people to do business with.
Positive PapayalizaLiza
Lincolnville, ME
October 19, 2013
These guys do an awesome job...plants arrive well-packed, at the appropriatetime, healthy, and of plantable size. Their seeds are great too.
Positive ixion1215
Parma Heights, OH
July 8, 2013
Ordered both plants and seeds from this company. First time for me so I did not know what to expect. My experience with other plant mail order companies have not been positive so I was a little apprehensive. My fears have no substance, however, because the plants are doing very well, even with a novice like myself. The plumbago is already flowering! The seeds I bought also germinated very well. The only one I ran into a problem with (and I'm not sure if its my inexperience or just plain bad luck on my part) is that my packet of Calendula "Neon" did not germinate too well. But overall, I am glad I borrowed my co-worker's catalog and ordered from this company. Recommended!
Positive mellielong
Lutz, FL (Zone 9b)
June 19, 2013
I ordered some plants from Select Seeds as part of their summer clearance sale. The plants came well-shipped, arrived fast, and were still moist when they arrived.

I appreciate that Select Seeds has plants I can't find easily anywhere else. For example, I had been looking for a Mexican Flame Vine and found they had one during this sale! I raise butterflies and love that Select Seeds has lots of butterfly attracting plants to choose from. Also, they have plants that are able to grow in my crazy Florida environment. Most mail order companies don't cater to sub-tropic climates and it's nice that Select Seeds has a diversity of plants that grow in a variety of climates. I will definitely be ordering from them again!
Positive Tony1964
Cleveland, OH
June 15, 2013
Great company. Received all plants. 4 Calibrachoa and 3 Tobacco plants " Lime Green". They arived very fast. Beautifull,healty plants. I just planted today the Calibrachoa in container next to my patio and the Tobacco plants in a small gardenisland next to purple Cannas. I think them look great !!!
Thanks a lot,

Antal
Positive TulipTipToer
Homewood, IL
June 14, 2013
I have been a several years' very satisfied customer. Both the seeds and plants are of excellent quality. Very good customer service too.
Positive ltalent
New York, NY
May 30, 2013
My plants arrived today. Excellent packing and seedlings were a good size and in excellent shape. Recommend.
Positive bluedelphinium
Wethersfield, CT
May 26, 2013
I was very pleased to receive my first plant order from Select Seeds recently. I had purchased 3 plants, all of which were packed securely, moist and intact upon arrival. The plants were exceptionally large and well formed, giving them the best chance in my garden.

After ordering plants for many years, my experiences have been varied, but this company obviously had put serious thought to the safe packing of large, healthy plants. The selections are interesting, picture colors reasonably accurate and items described in enough detail for planning decisions.
Positive LMGarden
Flemington, NJ
May 23, 2013
This is the first time that I have ordered plants from Select Seeds. The plants arrived today and are well-grown and were packaged well, so arrived in excellent condition. A great value for the price.
Positive FrancisMichael
Woodside, NY
May 22, 2013

I want gardeners to take note I must commend Select Seeds for excellence. Last year I placed an order of seeds and was very happy with the quality and price. This year I saw they were selling live plants; to be honest I follow Dave’s Garden Forum Ratings and know they are a good company. But when it came to live plants… I was buying them from a high end competitor.
When I saw the prices of Select Seeds to be honest I was wary, as their prices were substantially lower than their competitors. I figured for the low price on the same plants their competitors were selling I would take a chance and brace my expectations.
As it so happened I received both orders of plants both from Select Seeds and their competitors at the same time.
I couldn’t believe it, what I received from ‘Select Seeds were live plants that were lush, had a lot of growth (maturity) and were well packed. Although their competitor remains a good customer, I was disappointed in what I received, a few of the plants were dead and the rest looked sickly. On the other hand Select Seeds were just so lush and healthy. I must be honest and my next orders for the same live plants next year or in the Fall much of my ordering will go to Select Seeds.
Below is what I wrote Select Seeds
‘I must commend you on the gorgeous lush live plants I received. Normally I buy from a another vendor that is supposed to be top-of – line , and they sell their live plants 30% more in cost , then yours. The plants I received from your company and for the price you sell at …beat any other company I have ordered from. Your plants are vastly superior in price, service and quality then your competitors. I was worried since the price difference between your plants and theirs not to expect a better quality from your company. Boy, I was WRONG! Your plants are healthy, more mature in growth, perfect. You most certainly won over a loyal customer.
I was so disappointed in what I received from your competitor, somewhere in bad shape and my FREE plant for spending 100 dollars I was supposed to get never came. It goes to show that cliché “You get what you pay for” is just that a, clique and not true. I cannot praise your company enough and my comments will be sent in formal letter of gratitude as well as on-line. I want everyone to know there is a company who takes pride in the products they sell and that is backed up by an unparalleled quality. My only hope is that you extend the range of live plants and offer more varieties. Please keep up the excellent work, as it will be appreciated.’
I give Select Seeds the highest marks in
• Quality
• Price
• Shipping
• Customer Service
• Customer Satisfaction

Thank you so much SELECT SEEDS and to my fellow Gardeners the price and what you get is well worth buying from them.
Francis (Frank) Michael Simone
Positive Kevin6963
East Hartford, CT
May 19, 2013
I have been ordering from Select Seeds for a number of yrs (3+) and I have NEVER been disappointed. Live plants are healthy and packed to perfection, never a break. Seeds are fresh and always produce. You will not go wrong ordering from Select Seeds
Positive HazelCrestMikeB
Hazel Crest, IL (Zone 5a)
May 16, 2013
I got my plants today by UPS that pulled up while I was outside planting other things. I am very happy with the quality of the plants. They have all been planted. Thanks Rosemary and Marilyn. Mike B from Hazel Crest, IL.
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
May 15, 2013
Posted on February 1, 1999, updated May 15, 2013
I am now in my third year utilizing seeds from this superb company…Select Seeds is the best!! I was fortunate in that Select Seeds was the first catalogue I ordered from. They taught me a tremendous amount about germinating and growing seeds, and my germination rate, even when I didn't know what I was doing, was in excess of 95%. Now, with experience, it approaches 100%. I find their heirloom flower seeds to be of excellent quality. Their information is concise and accurate. I have ordered on at least ten occasions and there has never been an error. Better yet, unlike many companies, their staff obviously takes the time to evaluate your order when they send you free seeds, and I have discovered many flowers I would not have grown thanks to their astute selections. They have helped to make me a gardener. I cannot praise them enough.
On June 18th, 2007, DonnaMack added the following:

After many years (at least ten) of ordering from this company I finally ordered plants - in my case, three difeerent geraniums. They were beautifully packaged and are thriving in pots on my front steps. Since they are unusual, I have received many comments on their uniqueness. I will not hesitate to order plants in the future.
On May 15th, 2013, DonnaMack added the following:

This year I ordered all plants from Select Seeds - several geraniums, as well as heliotropes (including a rather rare white variety) and the plants are healthy and strong. How nice to open a box of scented plants and find that the intensity of fragrance is there. And that the plants are in perfect condition.
Positive don_luis
Novato, CA
May 15, 2013
While I've ordered seeds from Select Seeds in the past, I've avoided ordering plants because of the distance involved. But the sale pricing for Lewisia "Elise" was irresistible, and the local nurseries didn't have it in stock. The plants arrived in excellent shape - and in full bloom - two days after shipping date. I've never had better luck even with nearby growers. I'll definitely order more from Select in the future.
Positive Marty_pal
South Farmingdale, NY
May 12, 2013
This is our third year ordering from Select Seeds. Our garden, mainly planted to attract butterflies, continues to flourish and dazzle with beautiful Echinaceas,(Hot Papaya, Tomato Soup, and Flame Thrower), Rudbeckia (Golden Glow), and Eryngium (Big Blue). This year we're adding Rudbeckia Brown Eyed Susan. As in the past, the plants arrived healthy and beautiful.

We also added two annuals, Asarina Creeping Gloxinia Wine and Evolvulu 'Blue Daze'. Anticipating hummingbirds with the Asarina.

I highly recommend Select Seeds.
Positive mboutet
Rochester, NY
May 11, 2013
I purchased Corsican violets. They were big, healthy plants carefully packed in corrugated. No plastic peanuts or plastic "pillows." Excellent!
Positive Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY
May 8, 2013
I ordered for the first time this Spring and I am so glad I did! I ordered 3 different varieties of Agastache plants.

They arrived today in great shape! I'll be ordering again from them!

I think the only reason I never ordered from them before was because I thought they only sold seeds.

Very pleased! Recommended!
Positive PeggyTowson
Towson, MD
May 2, 2013
Just got my plants yesterday. They were in great condition and looked beautiful!
Positive Ludwigsfriend
Tobaccoville, NC
April 19, 2013
I am so pleased with my first experience ordering from this company! The Moon Garden Plant Collection arrived in record time and in perfect condition. The plants are larger than I expected and healthy and ready to grow. I will add to my comment once I see how well they do in my garden.
Positive Scarborshannon
Las Vegas, NV (Zone 9a)
April 17, 2013
I ordered a Black eye Susan vine. It arrived health and strong. I love this vine, its is a real twining vine. Even after my cat tried to eat half of this plant its still growing and healthy. Love it! I will order from this company again :)
Positive animail
Waterbury, CT
April 16, 2013
I received my Salvia Indigo Spires &
they arrived in perfect condition! I've never seen such great packing
for plants! Plus the plants are absolutely BEAUTIFUL & healthy & bigger
than I expected! I love them! Thanks so
much! They will be happy in our garden!

( these get big & be sure to pinch back now & then while they are growing (as hard to do as that is) & they will branch out & have lots of purple shoots that butterfies love & flowers can be dried too like lavender . Nicely scented)
Positive karetzkyj
San Francisco, CA
April 4, 2013
The seeds I ordered arrived quickly and the company included a package of free seeds--much appreciated in the current economy. The company contacted me via email and phone regarding a plant that was unavailable so they try very hard to keep in contact. I would recommend this company.
Positive verawdd
Vassalboro, ME
March 27, 2013
I was looking for seed that was in their 2012 catalog but not in their 2013. The person taking my order said she would check to see if any were left and include them in my order if I still wanted them. What a nice surprise to find them when my order came in. Great customer service!

Positive shauna1219
Tampa, FL (Zone 9b)
March 27, 2013
Posted on March 25, 2013, updated March 27, 2013
This was my first time ever ordering plants/seeds online. I ordered four packs of seeds that I was unable to find locally and received my order one week after placing the order. Included were detailed germination instructions on each packet of seeds. To top it off, they threw in a freebie pack of seeds for me. Ironically, it was a packet of seeds I was looking at on their site, just didn’t place on the order. Everything has been planted and I am just waiting for the germination to start and the seedlings to start popping up.
On March 27th, 2013, shauna1219 added the following:

As an additional note...the seeds have been in the ground less than 1 week and are already sprouting! :-D
Positive vommarlowe
Overland Park, KS
March 19, 2013
This was my first time ordering from Select Seeds Antique Flowers. I fell in love with some of the plants in their catalog and splurged a bit, including many varieties and flower-types I had never grown before.

I received my packets quickly. The packets have detailed and very useful growing advice, unlike some of the very generic seed starting tips other growers give.

My germination rates have been outstanding so far. All the seeds I've sown indoors have already come up and are doing well.

I'll also add that, considering the huge increase in USPS costs and seed costs everywhere else, I was very pleasantly surprised at the reasonable costs here!

Definitely recommended.
Positive GeorgiaRusso
Castleton-on-Hudson, NY
March 14, 2013
Select Seeds can always be depended upon to ship out awesome plants. In particular, they are the only ones I know of to ship out plants of Spanish Flag (Love Vine), which in Zone 4 or 5 does not really give seeds the time for flowers to enjoy. And they are spectacular. Select Seeds has the special and unique plants!
Positive pmcgarden
Buffalo, WY
February 26, 2013
I love this company. The products are superior and the choice is great. I live where gardening time is short, so I rely on their excellent seeds and plants. The plants are so beautiful when they arrive, unlike a lot of other companies' plants and I love the choice of seeds. I can find the relatively rare Lauren's Grape Poppy seeds here which I have to treat as an annual in my zone.
Positive silkroad
Lady's Island, SC (Zone 9a)
February 9, 2013
What a treasure!!
I found seeds that I had been longing for and had been unable to find. Unlike many small seed companies, they send an ample quantity of seeds....not just five or 10...so your chances for successful germination are much better. Prices are reasonable, and so is the shipping
Planting instructions are clear and specific,--not just generic, a much appreciated feature..
Positive juhur7
Anderson, IN (Zone 6b)
January 19, 2013
Lots of people are well satisfied with this company , Me too!!!
There is a reason for that....great seeds fast service ,, exceptional !! outstanding....!!!
Positive floradora
Astoria, NY (Zone 7b)
January 18, 2013
Was very pleased with the performance of the annuals seeds directly sowed into my garden last year. They had a great germination rate, which resulted in so many beautiful poppies, so of course I ordered seeds from them again this year. I received my order once again in a timely manner. I was so glad to see that they offer Wall Flower seeds which after having seen the blooms at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden looked high and low for.
Positive GrandShowTx
El Camino Angosto, TX
December 29, 2012
Ordered some plants for a show this month. Arrived quickly and in great condition. Very pleased.
Positive michaeldpick
Mystic, CT
October 24, 2012
These plants have been so lively and hardy in my garden. They grew brilliantly all summer long with little work from myself. I even have recommended them to all my friends and family!
Positive CLScott
Calgary
Canada
October 23, 2012
This company specializes in Antique Flower seeds.
My order came with each packet as described in their online catalogue. There were no back orders or "sold out" items.
The prices for the packets were all under $2, and contained
acceptable numbers of seeds depending on the rarity.
I was especially happy to get seeds for California Giant petunias which I had been looking for sometime.
Neutral flowers4birds
Chilton, WI (Zone 5b)
July 18, 2012
I was happy to find this company recommended at Dave's Garden, and ordered a catalogue.

There I found just the seeds I was looking for: Hard to find antique and fragrant plants. I ordered seeds immediately and they were shipped quickly in excellent condition. I planted indoors many of the seeds that require a head-start in our Zone 5 climate. Most of the seeds did very well, but only one feverfew (virgo) germinated from the entire packet, and only one Datura (evening fragrance) germinated. The rest of the seeds were dead as if they were old outdated seeds. This may be the fault of their suppliers, but apparently they do not test the seeds for viability. Only Half of the white Heliotrope seeds germinated. All the other indoor planted seeds did fine.

When I planted seeds outdoors, the weather was already too hot and dry to expect total success because we had a spring that came two months too soon, and May weather was more like July. However I watered diligiently. About half of the Fairy trumpet Four o' clocks came up, but very few Snowpuff cosmos germinated. Snow on the mountain is doing very poorly, but maybe it was too hot when planted them. Coincendentally the seeds I bought at Walmart did just fine. Some seed I never planted because it was already too hot e.g. sweet peas et. al.. Everything else germinated well and I'm surprised how fast the stocks are growing in spite of being planted in hot weather, which they do not like.

I was very disappointed by the dead seeds, especially the feverfew, because I could find no other source for the double variety.

Will I order again? Probably; because there are so many wonderful choices I cannot resist; but of course I won't re-order the varieties that didn't germinate.

I cannot comment on their plants as I don't order perennial plants by mail. We live in a rural location where the people who deliver always set the package on the porch where it bakes in the sun until someone comes home. It's too risky.

Company representative comment on July 26, 2012:
On Jul 26, 2012 3:07 PM, Select Seeds Antique Flowers responded with:

Select Seeds is committed to helping you have a beautiful garden, this year and every year! If you would like to contact us via email, we will put a credit on your account to use towards any future order. This summer has been extremely hot, I agree.

We have just finished our germination tests to ready us for fall seed orders. Virgo feverfew IS a problem and we are working to fix this. Our supplier indicated it was within our standards when it came in in January. We do not test when we receive stock.

Our standard for seeds is 80% or more for annuals, 70% or more for perennials, with a very few exceptions. Marine heliotrope, for example, has never, in the over 20 years we have carried it, germinated above 56%.
We grow some of our seeds and purchase the rest from well-regarded European seed houses.

As to the datura, it too has not passed our June testing, and is withdrawn from sale. We are growing it ourselves this year and hope to have a bumper crop of good seed for 2013.

Hope this helps explain our standards and policies.