The scoop on 'Bakker Holland'

Bakker Holland

Bakker Holland Pflanzenversand Ammersbek GmbH
Ahrensburg, 22922
(Germany)

Phone: 0049 4102 499 111
Fax: 0049 4102 499 122

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company offers a variety of bulbs and plants.

Comments:

Negative NgaireLowndes
London
United Kingdom
May 11, 2008
I also bought an apricot from Bakker Holland(Spalding - the UK branch) some years ago, and the graft died. The rootstock grew and is now a pretty flowering tree without fruit. I didn't claim refund in time, but I wouldn't buy fruit trees from them again.

This February I ordered a lot of plants from them. Specified delivery 15th April on, as I'd be away before then. 21st April, no delivery, so I phoned them. One plant, they said, was out of stock, so they were holding the whole order until it came in. I instructed, 'cancel the out of stock plant and send me the rest'. They said it would be a further two weeks for delivery.
On 9th May, one box arrived. In it was just the plant I'd cancelled, in very poor wilted condition and unlikely to survive. No sign of the rest of the order!
As they don't answer their phones on weekends, I'll have to wait till Monday to find out what has happened to the rest of my plants.

The Bakker Holland catalogues are very pretty and they are very friendly people, but I have always had problems with the condition of the plants on arrival, and they are very expensive for what they are. I won't be buying from them again, it's just not worth it.
Negative H_G
Manchester
United Kingdom
September 28, 2006
In May this year I have received an order from Bakker Spalding, 2 items needed replacing, One was a Bougainvillea, I was very pleased with the repalcement from the year before, the second was a Mini Apricot Tree, this was already mouldy at the new graft and all the twigs. I planted the tree and the leaves that grew at the grafting site are not leaves from an Apricot. I infomed Bakker Spalding and this morning, 28.09.2006 I received a second tree, which, again is mouldy. I rang Bakker-Spalding and told them that this tree is also sick and the young graft is white with mould. A lady told me to brush the mould off, but even if I do, the wood beneath is black and dead. I told them to send me another tree and they could have this one back, but they refuse to do that.
Do they not know not to keep the young twigs in a plastic bag? They tell me that the trees arrive in that state, I can not believe that.
Please reply to my question: is it possible to purchase a healthy tree???I would still like to have one
Positive Drphil
October 31, 2003
Based in the UK I use Bakker as a mailorder nursery. Some plants failed to come up (about 15% of the order)in the spring so I rang up to complain. It was actually a good experience. Human being on the phone (no press 1 for this etc), no quibbles at all about my complaint (very helpful person on the phone), and a cheque arrived in the post covering the cost of the failed plants within 3 days. The plants that did come up grew wonerfully well and have now re-ordered some more. Excellent customer care!!
Positive Aotearoa
New York City, NY (Zone 6b)
July 23, 2002
Though we live in NYC, my wife is originally from Hamburg, where her family has a lovely home and large garden. I have had the pleasure of visiting this wonderful nursery and store several times. The staff and owners are charming beyond comparison, the selection of top quality plant materials and gardening tools is marvelous. The proof, however, is in my mother-in-law's garden, where under her skilled care the plants she aquires from Bakker~Holland thrive in a sheltered retreat from urban cares. If you visit Hamburg, this firm is worth a visit. I make a point of always stopping by.
Positive Wintermoor
Jesteburg-Wiedenhof
Germany (Zone 8a)
May 7, 2002
Bakker is the closest big nursery near Hamburg. Their service, both mail order, and personal is above any criticism.
I visit them when I can, even just to browse, since I can always pick up some tips from the people who work there. There's always a friendly answer.
The plants I received per mail order were all very well packed, and healthy.
With my delivery, I received a pair of rose cutters, a pair of branch cutters, and an extra little packet of seeds.
Their company just outside Hamburg, is well worth a visit. One one side of the road are the plants, bulbs, seeds, fertilizers and houseplants, and on the other side, all one could wish for in garden tools, furniture and general garden ambience.
If you are ever near Hamburg, give them a visit, you wont regret it, but maybe your wallet will since you'll not be able to stop buying.