The scoop on 'Flowerville Farms'

Flowerville Farms

Nicholson
Perry, Michigan 48872 (United States)

Phone: n/a

Visit Flowerville Farms at:

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Closed January, 2009

This company is out of business and no longer operating

Company Comment, posted on March 4, 2007:
Per a note from Tammy Clayton of Flowerville Farms:

Flowerville Farms will no longer be doing catalog sales or walk in retail sales based from Michigan. We have turned our attentions to plant breeding and professional landscape design in another area of the USA.

Comments:

Positive Flowerchild59
Carbondale, IL
November 1, 2006
I ordered a selection of heucheras this fall and the plants arrived promptly, good sized and was well pleased with the service and selection. I will order from them again.
Positive richardbeasley
Richmond, VA
June 24, 2006
I have no idea how anyone could give Flowerville Farms a bad report. The quaity of plants and selection are superior. The owner takes a personal intrest in helping me pick the right plants for the right spot. And did I say the plants are some of the hightest quality you can find anywhere.

When I know a plant that is available, yet the supply is limited the one place I look first is Flowerville. I don't don't know how they do it, but they have it or will get it for me. If someone has a problem with Flowerville it is their problem, and not Flowervilles. The owner is a sweet heart, doing the very best she can, I will always go to Flowerville first.
Negative dshattie
Aiken, SC
May 20, 2006
There has been a significant error regarding charges made to the credit card
account that I provided to Flowerville Farms for my purchase of 13 phlox plants on 3/24/2006.

$51.67 was charged to my account on May 1. My order totaled $43.97. I assume
that the balance of $7.70 was the charge for packing and shipping. The order was shipped today, May 20

Upon checking activity in my account, today I find an additional debit by
Flowerville Farms of $51.67. I have responded to their email which they sent today and requested that they "Please rectify this error immediately."

I will post a follow-up once this matter is resolved.

On May 20th, 2006, dshattie added the following:

There was an error in my previos post of today's date:

Upon checking activity in my account, today I find an additional debit by
Flowerville Farms of $32.50, NOT $51.67
On June 1st, 2006, dshattie added the following:

I promised a follow-up, so here it is:

The 16.5 lb shipment arrived May 23, very well packed and within 2 days of the shipping date. The charges were $25.10 plus insurance. That part of the process was exceptional, but then so was the shipping cost which nearly doubled my order cost. However, I was shorted 4 of the plants I ordered and have 3 unwanted substutions.

I received 12 plants of the 13 plants I ordered. Received only 3 "David" phlox, not 6, but they were perfect specimens. "David" was my reason for placing the order in the first place. I assume the 3 other plants were David
substitutions - they have serrated leaves and one was labeled white turtlehead. The 3 "orange perfection" were fine specimens. The 3 "magic blue" were diminutive in size and had black spot and yellowed leaves. "Tenor" phlox was not sent.

I reported the preceeding info to Flowerville Farms and was instructed to return the 3 white turtleheads by priority mail that they sent in error, and upon their receipt, my 3 "David" phlox as originally ordered would be sent as well as the "Tenor" phlox that was never sent. I did as they requested and sent the 3 plants back May 23 at a postage cost to me of another $9.80. My total postage cost has now risen to $42.30 for an original order of 13 plants originally quoted as $ 43.97before postage. Keep in mind that my cost at this point has grown to $93.97.

The final order correcting their mistake arrived today, June 1. It cost them another $12 for postage for the error. The 4 plants are of considerably poorer quality compared to the original order. The "David" phlox are a third the size of the initial order, and I will not know if they are "David" until they bloom.

I would NEVER order again from this company after this run-around and their excessive postage costs that they say are beyond their control. It would have been a nice consideration had they told me to keep the white turtleheads for the inconvenience, but I had to pay $9.80 to return them before they would correct their own error and send me my ordered plants. They never offered to reimburse me for that postage. I felt as though they held me hostage before I could get what I paid for. Be aware, be VERY aware before you order from this company!

Company representative comment on June 12, 2006:

On Jun 12, 2006 8:19 AM, Flowerville Farms added:

Mr. Shattie,

The note you put on your order when it was placed read; "Just canceled a large order with another company due to their excessive shipping costs. Willing to give you folks a chance".

When you placed this order you paid no attention to the prominently displayed wording that informs shoppers that at any time the sizes and/or prices of a plant can change without notice due to their rapidly changing sizes and perishable nature. You also neglected to read the note about Shipping & Handling charges on your actual shopping cart. It clearly states that there are boxing and handling fees for each plant ordered.

No one has taken advantage of you. You have failed to read the directions. This service of shipping is not free or cheap, the process of pulling, packing or actually sending live plants actually costs money. Had you driven from South Carolina to Michigan to pick up your order there would have been no shipping or handling costs added to your purchase price. 13 plants is a Handling fee of $7.50 which you would have been aware of if you had read the explanation on your shopping cart. $25.10 + $7.50 = $32.60... you got a $0.10 discount on shipping & handling as we only invoiced you for $32.50.

Flowerville Farms NEVER substitutes plant types. The note that you recieved Chelone instead of Phlox on part of your order was a surprise. As we are human, we are capable of error from time to time. However, since no knowledge of the wrong plants being put into the box was an awareness on this end I believe in all fairness it is our right to actually SEE our error in order to know that we have made an error. You are hundreds of miles away from here or we could have drove over and took a peek at the problem. If you go to a garden center in your area and the tray of 30 plants has 6 of a different kind hidden in the middle of it when you get home, you cannot just call up, tell them off and expect them to deliver the right stuff. You have to drive back to the store to exchange the erroneous contents.

The plants you recieved in the correcting shipment are definitely David, they are just from a different grower than the first ones you recieved. The prices changed due to rodent damage to our own crop over the winter. We note this can happen in our online catalog. Had I caught the error before your box left, the David would have been all the same size. The second set of David you recieved was not greenhouse grown and was still in the process of waking up due to the lengthy cold, wet weather Michigan had this spring. Phlox is not an early riser as it blooms mid season, they will gain far more top growth with sunshine and warm temperatures. Flowerville strives to fill every order in full, to the best of our capabilities and connections. We understand that the selection process of which actual plants are desired for each season's garden additions is very important to each shopper.

No one has held you hostage. We simply required proof that there was an error even made. Our postage cost is not excessive, the handling fees that you paid no attention to when placing your order should not be a surprise to you, you had them right there on your order form. Flowerville ships the least expensive and fastest delivery method. Perhaps you would be happier if we doubled the plant prices and offered free shipping. This is an honest small farm business. Before your lengthy explative you will note that we had all good ratings.

It is interesting to note that the other mail order nursery you entered a Garden Watchdog rating on you also distrust whether or not you actually recieved what you ordered this spring.

It is also noted that you left out your comments on our beautiful packaging methods. Perhaps we should resort to smashing plants into a box over filled with styrofoam peanuts like many mail order nurseries instead of carefully ensuring they arrive in good shape. A check for $9.80 has been mailed to you.

Positive aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX (Zone 9a)
May 16, 2006
The company notified me when they would be sending the plants I ordered, did not charge me until just before they shipped and they notified me when plants were shipped. The plants were healthy looking and arrived in great shape. No complaints and would order from them again.
Positive cowgardener
Southport, ME
February 2, 2006
We've ordered from this company a couple years running now and have been pleased with the plant quality overall. We too did note that the Heucheras were "small"; they looked to be plug runners that hadn't spent a lot of time in the pots but we planted them out and all of them performed very well in the garden two seasons so far. It does seem that their prices have jumped a bit this year but we've submitted another order, all Heucheras.
Positive mkcarter
Redford, MI (Zone 5b)
January 20, 2006
I ordered plants from Tammy and they came in just fine! I was also able to stop by the nursery and see the gardens and talk to Tammy the owner. She is very knowledgable and her plants are in great shape! Will definitely be ordering from her again!
On July 30th, 2006, mkcarter added the following:

I once again ordered from Tammy and the plants came in just bursting with health!! More happy plants I don't think I have gotten from anyone. She was more than willing to work with me and helped out with good advice as well. I will definitely be ordering from her again. She has also been updating her computer works so that she can help out her customers better!! Thanks Tammy for all your help and the happy plants!!
Neutral mmb
Newport, NH (Zone 4b)
June 30, 2005
After placing an order in April, for which they charged my credit card in early May, I have not heard from or been able to reach this company by phone or e-mail about my order (which, obviously, I never received). The phone just rings and rings and I get no response to my e-mails. I'm mad!
On August 15th, 2005, mmb changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Thank you for the refund. I really did have the experience I've related here; I used the e-mail address that is prominently displayed on your website, and phoned many times. But I appreciate your response and the refund -- sounds like my experience is not the norm.
Company representative comment on June 10, 2006:
Firstly, we have never received an email from you regarding your order. Do you have the right email address to contact us? It is prominently displayed on the website in many places.not respond to emails we do not get. Secondly, the only time the phone here at Flowerville Farms would just ring and ring would be in the event of a lightning storm when the lines are disconnected to protect the phone and computer equipment from costly damage. These storms are a temporary issue, once they leave the immediate area, the equipment is promptly reconnected. The answering machine is NEVER turned off in case we miss an important call while away or cannot hear the phone ringing. If the line is tied up with the internet, we are informed of an incoming call and can elect to answer that call instantly. If the line just rings and rings, you are obviously calling the wrong number. We apologize for the fact that the plants you ordered did not come in as expected and your account was credited once we discovered there was an issue. It is sad that we could not deal with it prior to you going to this length. Flowerville Farms
Positive ldieffen
Avis, PA (Zone 6a)
October 14, 2004
Great company to deal with. Received my 1/2 off order 1 wk after placing the order. Everything is in great shape, reasonable size. Very good communication. Will definetly order from this company again.
Positive jmaldg3
Reading Center, NY
January 27, 2004
I ordered 15 plants from this company last year and I was very happy with all of them. The heucheras were small, but the prices were very good, and they grew beautifully over the summer. Two of the 3 verbascums I ordered bloomed before summers end, as did my pink skyrocket tiarella, and my ruby giant coneflower. I have ordered many more plants again this year, and I know they will be every bit as wonderful as last years. Tammy is very knowledgable and ready to help. I will definitely be doing business with this company for many years to come.
Positive tedechehen
May 31, 2003
I purchased pulmonaria plugs and jack frost (forget-me-not) from this company. They have a wide selection on pulmonaria. All plants are doing well. The only reservation I have is that they do not give any compensation or refund on plants that do not live. Good prices on hard to find plants!