The scoop on 'Brent & Becky's Bulbs'

Brent & Becky's Bulbs

Green Star: Good Brent & Becky's Bulbs is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

7900 Daffodil Lane
Gloucester, Virginia 23061 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Company Comment, posted on January 5, 2010:
Brent and Becky's Bulbs is a 3rd and 4th generation flower bulb company, specializing in an extensive selection of unique bulb finds! As a Garden Watchdog TOP 5 in both Spring/Fall and Summer flowering bulbs, we are your "tried and true" source for superior quality bulbs and customer service! Visit our newly redesigned website for 2010 and easily browse through our extensive selection of bulbs as well as tools, supplements, books, information, home accessories, videos, podcasts and more! You can find us at http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive daylilly99
northern, VA (Zone 6b)
June 12, 2014
I was ready to leave a NEGATIVE rating after I opened my order; however I did a little bit of research and changed it to positive.

My order came extremely quickly and the bulbs are in good condition.

The only reason I'm using the word NEGATIVE in this review is due to lack of a small bit of information (at least I don't see it on their website), which I needed due to my own ignorance.

I was very disappointed that some of the bulbs were so small. The 2-2.5cm (diameter) crocosmia and lilium lankongense were not what I expected to see, and the lilium Muscadet was a bit disappointing at 5-6 cm. The crocosmia was advertised as 6+ cm bulbs and the lilium at 18-24cm.

Finally, I figured out that these measurements are of the circumference of the bulb and it's my fault for not knowing that. I only wish it were stated more clearly. Am I the only person who doesn't know this is how bulb measurements are given?

As I said at the start, this is basically a POSITIVE review.
Positive nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL (Zone 5a)
June 8, 2014
Posted on April 13, 2010, updated June 8, 2014
AMAZING!! There's really no other way to describe it!

Let me start by explaining that, although I'm not a new gardener, I'm pretty new at bulb planting, having planted my first spring bulbs in autumn of 2008. I discovered Brent & Becky's Bulbs through Dave's Garden (another new discovery) in Spring of '09. I had already ordered some bulbs from another mail order company (not on The Garden Watchdog's top 30).

I immediately began choosing bulbs to order from Brent & Becky's, not an easy task since they are all so beautiful. Eventually I settled on quite a few varieties ordering only 10 of each so I could see how they performed & which ones I liked better. I also ordered ten of a variety I had ordered from the other nursery so I could compare the quality (N. "Tahiti").

Now to the "AMAZING" part. Yes, the bulbs were huge & healthy & neatly separated in net bags with labeled plant stakes attached. Yes they are now blooming beautifully. Yes their "N. Tahiti" flowers are bigger, brighter & healthier than the "other" "N. Tahiti" bulbs I had ordered. But the really amazing part is that several of the Daffodils have MULTIPLIED, IN FACT, MORE THAN DOUBLED, THEIR VERY FIRST YEAR!!! You read it right. 10 "N. Tahitis" have become 24. Ten "N. Delibes" have become 19 & so on.

In the same time the "other" "N. Tahitis", while pretty, have not multiplied at all, are not as large or as brightly colored.

I've also found Brent & Becky's customer service people to be friendly & helpful with very short wait times on "hold". And by the way, you can't go wrong by ordering bulbs they have marked with a "heart", ones they consider "extra-special".

Now the only problem I'm going to have is choosing this year's order. I'm definitely getting more of the same bulbs I ordered last year, but I also want to try so many more of their wonderful varieties. Decisions, decisions, decisions............

On June 8th, 2014, nutsaboutnature added the following:

Although I've ordered spring-blooming bulbs from Brent & Becky's in the past, this was my first order of summer bulbs from them.

As with my past orders the service was great and shipping was FAST!

I also ordered a large, heavy bag (44 lbs) of Azomite (granulated natural trace minerals) and was very impressed with their packing method to accommodate the Azomite. Everything was packed in a re-usable crate with built-in handles made of ABS plastic or a similar material.
That crate will be extremely useful around the garden.

Once again, Thanks Brent & Becky's!
Positive RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
June 5, 2014
Posted on June 2, 2012, updated June 6, 2014
I placed my order on Monday night, May 28, the last possible moment before Brent and Becky's summer catalog closed. All of their bulbs were half priced, and I placed an "impulse order." I was really surprised when the large box of 35 bulbs (nine different ones) arrived on Thursday! They were beautifully packed and well labeled. Not a bad bulb in the lot. I planted them today (Saturday).
On June 5th, 2014, RebeccaLynn added the following:

I can't believe how fast Brent and Becky get their orders out! I ordered on June 3; they arrived on June 5. Incredible! Carefully packed. Everything looks great. Tomorrow morning they go in the ground. Too hot this afternoon! Lilies, alstromeria, and hippeastrum - 45 bulbs.
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 17, 2014
I ordered Begonia, Gladiolus, Lilys and Polianthes tuberosa.
The bulbs were all firm and good sized and some of the Begonias have actually started sending up stalks which is fast for them.
the one disappointment was that I ordered in January and requested early shipment to start the bulbs inside but they were not shipped until the end of April.
Positive riosamba
Marlboro, NJ
May 10, 2014
Posted on June 6, 2010, updated May 10, 2014
Posted on April 29, 2010, updated June 6, 2010
I received my order of cannas from Brent and Beckys yesterday. The potted cannas were all between one and one and one half feet tall looking as healthy as could be desired with two to three shoots coming up. The rhizomes are also quite large. I am so pleased that today I placed another order with them. They are one of the few vendors that will guarantee that their cannas are disease free. I will definately be buying addtional bulbs of many different types from them in the future. A+ is an understatement.
On June 6th, 2010, riosamba added the following:

I received three orders from Brent and Beckys and must say how satified I am. Their communication, shipping, prices and quality merchandise will make me a customer for years to come. I only wish I ordered more from them in the beginning. Of the nearly fifty cannas that I received, none shows absolutely any signs of the canna virus that many other companies ship. The fact that they cut down on their inventory to ship only cannas that were disease free is quite admirable and honest.
On May 10th, 2014, riosamba added the following:

I received another order of cannas from Brent and beckys and am very pleased. Although their selection is very small because they will not ship virused plants their cannas are as healty as can be. A great place to buy from.
Positive MollyBlooms
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
April 29, 2014
As in years past, Brent & Becky's exceeds expectations. For Easter, I had ordered some cut flowers from B&B, to be delivered via overnight service on Friday 4/18. I saw by the tracking number that the delivery was going to be delayed due to UPS's error. The flowers arrived on Saturday 4/19, most in decent shape but some the worse for wear. I didn't plan on complaining to B&B since it wasn't their error. But no sooner had I put the flowers in water than a B&B representative called me, asking about the flowers and their condition. I told her that most were in pretty good shape but some were not; she asked me to hold, then after a moment came back on to tell me that she had spoken to Becky and that B&B would send me a new bouquet, free of charge. And indeed they did! The flowers arrived today and are gorgeous, and fresh.

Mind you, all this happened *without* complaint from me. This company truly stands behind their products and provides top-notch service.

I've been a customer for many years (gong back to the Daffodil Mart days) and will continue to be so.
Positive coriaceous
ROSLINDALE, MA
February 1, 2014
I've ordered from Brent and Becky's Bulbs several times over the years. They are the best online retail bulb seller I know, by far. Their selection is excellent, as is their communication, and their bulbs arrive in good shape.
Positive crabmeat
Kyle, TX
December 31, 2013
I am brand new to buying and growing bulbs so I appreciate all the great information that Brent and Becky's Bulbs provides. I studied their website and figured out the bulbs that would do best in my area and ordered them. I was ordering right before the end of the planting season and was worried the company might hold on to my order, thinking it was too late to plant. But they sent them promptly and well-packaged and included an excellent booklet of information to guide me in planting. I got several varieties of narcissus bulbs along with snowflake and Spanish bluebell bulbs--all healthy. I am very much looking forward to seeing them bloom in the spring. I am completely confident that they will do well!
Positive nitzi1944
Posted on May 9, 2011, updated October 29, 2012
Posted on October 29, 2010, updated May 9, 2011
Posted on October 9, 2010, updated October 29, 2010
Posted on April 26, 2008, updated October 9, 2010
This is my first order with this company. The Liatris and Crocosmia are huge bulbs and well labled and packaged. I just planted them. I will order again. This company knows what they are doing.
On May 12th, 2008, nitzi1944 added the following:

The liatris are already showing signs of growth. All 10 of the "Alba" have sprouted. I can't wait for them to bloom this summer. So far, I am thrilled with this company. I am planning to order bulbs to be planted in the fall. The catalog looks great. This is top notch company to order from. You get what you pay for!
On October 9th, 2010, nitzi1944 added the following:

I just received my order of bulbs. They all look fantastic, big and healthy. Most of the daffodils have 2 or 3 bulblets attached to the mother bulb. I planted daffodil"Stratosphere" this morning. All the bulbs were well packed and arrived in a nice plastic crate by UPS. I can't wait for Spring!
On October 29th, 2010, nitzi1944 added the following:

I just finished planting N. Acropolis and 50 N. Manly. This was from an additional order. The bulbs arrived within a week and were packed well. I have to say the two bulb trowels I ordered mde planting so much easier and efficient.
It only took a little over 1 hr. to plant 100. Whew!All done for this year. The quality of blossoms should be fantastic next Spring.
On May 9th, 2011, nitzi1944 added the following:

All the bulbs I Ordered came up and were specacular. Acropolis, Manly and Stratosphere daffodils kasted a long time. People were knocking on my door to compliment the display. Highly rec. B and B.
On October 29th, 2012, nitzi1944 added the following:

My bulbs arrived on time. They are huge and healthy. I can't wait for the hyacinths and tulips to bloom next year. Great product.
On June 17th, 2013, nitzi1944 added the following:

I recently contacted Brent and Becky regarding Madame Lefebre red tulips which were not true to the catalog, and don't look like any of friends Madame Lefebre. I believe they were mislabled. My son also sent pictures. Even though this company believes they are the real thing, they still are giving me a credit on my account. What a nice way to keep a customer. This is a great company who still believes, "The customer is always right." Can't wait to order from the new catalog.
On October 30th, 2013, nitzi1944 added the following:

Got my hyacinth bulbs last week and planted them. They were huge and well packed. no duds. I ordered Peter Sty. and Yellow Queen. I'm giving yellow queen another try since you credited my acct. last year b/c they bloomed all white. Thanks B and B.
On Jul 22, 2013 8:52 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

HOLY MOLY! We can't believe that you've taken the time, this many times, to say such nice things about us! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! It means the world to us!

Positive Patty57
Wake Forest, NC (Zone 7b)
October 25, 2013
I just received my fall shipment of bulbs and was pleasantly surprised with the bulbs all around. A++++ for this company. Keep up the great work!!
Company representative comment on October 25, 2013:
On Oct 25, 2013 8:35 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

Thank you, Patty! It's SOOOO nice when someone takes the time to say "thanks" and give a pat on the back. You're happiness is what we strive for every day! Mission accomplished!

Positive nevadagdn
Sparks, NV (Zone 7a)
October 23, 2013
Posted on December 1, 2004, updated October 23, 2013
I placed an order from the end-of-season sale. The bulbs are in excellent condition (better even than Van Engelen's end of season sale bulbs), and of good size. The order was processed quickly, and shipped equally promptly. If I were to offer up one complaint, it's that Brent and Becky's Bulbs didn't include any magic weather-changer in the package, and I'll have to wait until this snow finishes melting to plant!
On December 11th, 2004, nevadagdn added the following:

Just a couple notes--I placed a second end of season order, processed equally quickly, and the bulbs were in excellent condition.

My only quibble is that someone new to gardening and to certain Anemone species would be very disappointed in the Anemone nemorosa offerings. It looked for all the world like a small bag of potting soil with a few small twigs in it, barely distinguishable from the potting soil.

Here's the important bit: Anemone nemorosa bare-root stock is SUPPOSED to look like that. And once the plant grows, you will be just thrilled that such a lovely little plant could come from little sticklets.

To cure my quibble, perhaps the Anemone nemorosa packaging should contain comments mentioning this.
On April 11th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

Some of the fussiest of my Fall selections never emerged, but I kind of expected that. Planting end-of-season stock in December isn't always likely to ensure success. To blame Brent and Becky's for a few failures at that point would be like blaming a lighter manufacturer because I used (on purpose) it to set my hair on fire.

I just received the first part of my Spring order, and everything is enormous and healthy-looking--Begonia tubers, a Crinum bulb that could be used as a caveman's club it's so big, some Crocosmia, Cannas and Zephyranthes.
On April 29th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

3 Hedychium and 1 Curcuma plant arrived today. They are all healthy, large, and in generous-sized 4" pots (as opposed to the smaller pots also called 4").
On September 15th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

Early Fall bulbs (Fall crocus) arrived today. They look healthy.
On October 25th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

The rest of my fall shipment arrived last night. Everything looks good. The items from the Spring order grew like weeds (except they look like really really nice weeds).
On December 12th, 2005, nevadagdn added the following:

Everything in my end-of-season sale order was as good as if it had been regular price/regular time of year.
On April 25th, 2006, nevadagdn added the following:

This isn't a complaint, or even a quibble, but an observation. I bought several of Brent and Becky's own hybrid Narcissus varieties this Fall. They have since started to bloom. The flowers are large, sturdy and well-formed. They make superb cutting flowers. I ALSO like the droopy, fragile, tissue-like antique varieties, which are a bit scarce at Brent and Becky's.
On November 15th, 2007, nevadagdn added the following:

Ho-hum. This Fall's order was the same as all previous seasons: good service, good quality bulbs, good communications, good selection.
On October 23rd, 2013, nevadagdn added the following:

I'm back to gardening again. I only placed a small order, because planting things in my garden is beginning to resemble cutting into fruitcake: you hit something no matter how you cut it. The bulbs look good. They weren't cheap, but I chose expensive varieties. I already have a wishlist for the end-of-season sale, if the ground is still unfrozen and the snows haven't started.
Positive BrisbaneAnne
Brisbane, CA (Zone 10b)
October 22, 2013
First time order from them. Bulbs (hyacinth) arrived nice and firm and as scheduled. No issue. I expect them to grow well.
Positive keferraro
Crown Point, IN
September 22, 2013
Placed my first order and am please with what I received, of course next spring will tell the whole story. Very, very prompt and friendly communication and rapid delivery. The bulbs I have planted so far seemed robust with a few duds in a 50 count bag of Katherine Hodgkins dwarf iris, not enough to worry about. I have tulip bulbs for forcing and alliums for underplanting with hostas. Brent and Becky's will be my go to choice for my next order.
Positive markybark
Philadelphia, PA
July 30, 2013
Posted on July 29, 2013, updated July 30, 2013
It is with great regret that I write this negative review. I've purchased fall bulbs from B&B in the past and was very satisfied--but my recent spring purchase has been just terrible. First, I purchased two live plants, an altroemeria and iris cristata. Both were tiny, scrawny plugs less than 2 inches high and with barely any roots. I contacted them and they said wait and see how they perform. Well both struggled and died within 2 months. I then sent an email to B&B but got no response. I also bought Lilium formosum bulbs. I was surprised to get bulbs the size of marbles. They have grown about 9 inches tall and for a lily that is supposed to reach 6 feet tall, I wonder how long that will take!
I also ordered several dahlias from them and those tubers all looked great and have grown well in my garden. Unfortunately, at least 3 of the five of them are the wrong variety (I am still waiting for one to bloom). After the first wrong one bloomed (it was supposed to be Karma Corona) I contacted them (reminding them of my earlier complaint) and still did not hear anything. Last week I got a postcard from them sent to all the purchasers of the Bishop of Llandalf variety saying they had received complaints about the it turning out not to be the right variety. I called, confirming mine were the wrong ones and left a message but have received no response yet. I am an experienced, award-winning gardener and I do not quickly accuse my suppliers for plants that don't make it. Several of the items mentioned above were not cheap and I remain flabbergasted that the vast majority of this order has turned out so badly.
On July 30th, 2013, markybark changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Thanks for responding so promptly--I appreciate that. I guess I'll have to assume that the emails sent in response to my complaints were shunted into my spam folder. But as my spam folder only keeps items for a few days, I can't even go back and check. The frustration expressed in my original posting reflected what I perceived to be an almost complete lack of responsiveness from B&B. Now that I know they have credited my account, I am changing my rating to positive.
Company representative comment on July 30, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 9:51 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

We're so sorry you've had so much difficulty reaching us. Maybe you hadn't gotten our emails or maybe they got bumped into the SPAM folder. You'd think technology like email would be more reliable, huh? :) But, the good part of email is that it keeps records.

Like the time Becky replied on 4/17/13 at 12:04pm to the email you sent us a few days before regarding your Iris and Alstromeria. She mentioned to give them time to make sure they weren't just delayed by the cool weather and possibly still in their dormancy. She read your comment on the size of the bulbs and how you though that planting them at the "standard lily depth would just kill them". In her reply she mentioned that this was indeed a smaller plant and they did produce small bulbs and to only plant them "4 times their height deep" and agreed that typical planting depths would not be good for them.

The Becky replied on 6/27/13 at 8:27am to your email from the day before regarding how you weren't satisfied with the performance of the bulbs from your previous email. She mentioned how sorry she was and that she was surprised that they didn't grow well, especially for someone like you. She wrote that we had checked ours and they were doing very well, but she would be very happy to issue a credit for you. She also mentioned giving you a credit for the Bishop of Llandaff Dahlia, which we were sure that it wouldn't bloom true to name, even before you had mentioned it. We had just heard from so many others, we just assumed yours would do the same and issued the credit automatically.

Then you left a voicemail regarding the credit and wondering where it was. On July 26th at 9:12am, our Office Manager, Cindy, emailed you and said: "I received your phone message, and I have done some research. It looks like Becky emailed you a few times, and a credit is already on the account. The credit was for Alsromeria, L. formosanum, iris cristata and Dahlia Bishop of Llandaff and the total amount is ($$.$$). This credit was done on 6-27-13. I hope that this information is helpful, and I thank you so much for your business."

So, I'm not sure why our emails haven't reached you. And if there is a way that we can take what we think is fairly good customer service and make it even better, we would love to hear back from you. Since emails aren't working well for us, maybe posting here would be best. I always get messages from here and this way we can share our improvements that you've suggested with other avid gardeners.

Thanks so much for your feedback! We appreciate it!

On Jul 30, 2013 10:41 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs added:

"Grin"-eral Manager
Brent and Becky's Bulbs
(sorry, forgot to sign this....)

On Jul 30, 2013 1:17 PM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs added:

Many thanks! We really do what we can to communicate well with our customers, and I stand by our customer service as one of the best in the bulb business!

Thanks again!

Positive calconey
Marysville, OH
July 22, 2013
Very beefy canna bulbs. virus-free, beautiful. Shipping was fast and affordable. Great company.
On Jul 22, 2013 8:53 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

Thank you very much! It's nice that you took the time to comment so favorably, when most people only speak up when there's an issue. Thanks for being the "one-in-a-million" type!

Positive Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA (Zone 5b)
May 16, 2013
Posted on April 22, 2011, updated May 16, 2013
Posted on April 28, 2009, updated April 22, 2011
This was my maiden voyage (so to speak) with Brent and Becky's. I have gone into ordering with a friend of mine, and have split orders with him, but he's always been the one that has ordered...and everything has always been stellar! This order included 5 dahlias (all of the dahlias have dark leaves) and 10 lily bulbs, 5 of 2 different kinds. The dahlia clumps were huge! I think, without exaggerating that 1 of the clumps weighed almost a pound! The lily bulbs were all huge, about the size of a medium sized lemon/lime!

I will most definitely be ordering from B&B again!
On April 22nd, 2011, Hemhostaholic added the following:

I ordered (it was a gift from my better half) 2 different types of ornamental bananas (enseneta and rojo...i probably just butchered the spelling) 2 of each, and 2 'Diamond Head' Colocasia, alont with 2 different types of the dark leaved dahlias (5 each) and 5 canna musafolia. The bag of dahlias probably weighed about 2lbs...each, same with the banana cannas, the plants that were shipped (4 bananas, and 2 colocasias) were packed with such meticulous care, and the plants were a very extremely nice size to boot!

I will definitely be ordering from Brent and Becky's again!
On May 16th, 2013, Hemhostaholic added the following:

My other half and I just got our order! 3 different EE's, 2 each, and 1 type of banana, 2 of them. Everything looks great, as usual! I continue to send gardening friends to B&B, and will continue to order from them as well!
On Jul 22, 2013 8:56 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

You rock our horticultural world! HUGE thanks!

Positive matisse13
Jacksonville, FL
April 19, 2013
I ordered from B&B for the first time. The service was great, telling me when I would receive my shipment to the exact day. The bulbs were the biggest, heaviest, healthiest looking plants I have ever seen. Every single one I planted is flourished wonderfully. I just found my new favorite bulb source - Thanks Garden Watchdog!
On Jul 22, 2013 8:57 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

The thanks goes to you! We appreciate your business and your comments more than you know!

Positive jfzeabart
Terre Haute, IN
April 5, 2013
I received the most healthy spring delivered species lilium bulbs I have ever had. Most spring bulbs are rootless and dried out.These have good roots and are ready to grow.
On Jul 22, 2013 9:00 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

Weird huh!? You'd think that's the way they'd ALL be. But, we try to send the best. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Positive joanrae
New Wilmington, PA
December 7, 2012
I have been buying bulbs from Brent and Becky's bulbs for many years. I find them to be the very best in every single aspect of selling bulbs. They always stand behind their product and take care of their customers. I just ordered many bulbs during their end of season closing sale. The box was so heavy I could barely carry it. I will continue to buy from this company, because I know that they stand behind their product. They are first rate and they answer all your questions!!!
Positive tomtkitty
Memphis, TN
November 22, 2012
Posted on September 17, 2012, updated November 22, 2012
Posted on September 20, 2007, updated September 17, 2012
I enjoy receiving the catalog; my problem is with the shipping charges. I recently sent in an order, including the shipping charge with my payment. I then received a phone call saying I owed another charge because part of the order had to be shipped early. (This I understand, and I don't have a problem with it, though it would have been nice to know that up front. ) This week, I received a letter stating that I owed ANOTHER shipping charge. As it stands right now, the shipping charges exceed the price of the bulbs I ordered. If I had known I was going to have to pay triple shipping, I probably would not have ordered from them. Next time, I'll know better!
On June 12th, 2008, tomtkitty changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

All the bulbs bloomed beautifully, especially the tommies! Now that I know about the separate shipping charges, I will plan my ordering accordingly.
On January 1st, 2009, tomtkitty added the following:

Back in September, the saffron crocuses (croci?) I had bought the year before bloomed beautifully and even seem to have multiplied. No complaints here!
On September 17th, 2012, tomtkitty added the following:

I am delighted with their customer service! I recently placed a bulb order and later received a phone call telling me that the package had been shipped & it would arrive the next day (it did). This is the first time I've ever had a company call to tell me that my order was on the way. Keep up the good work!
On November 22nd, 2012, tomtkitty added the following:

The saffron crocuses that I ordered & potted up are now putting on a late season show of bloom. What a pleasant surprise as the floral displays wind down here in the Mid-South!
Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
November 21, 2012
Posted on November 11, 2009, updated November 21, 2012
Posted on March 26, 2004, updated November 11, 2009
I have been ordering bulbs from B&B since 1999, and I would have to say that the results have been overwhelmingly positive. The lilies, chionodoxa, alliums, camasias and bulbocodiums have all been outstanding, but I have to give particular praise to their forced hyacinths, which I just ordered on sale this past season, and their amaryllis. I ordered amaryllis Picotee and Appleblossum, also on sale, and very late in the season, but one of my Picotees produced three stems, while another that produced two stems produced six flowers on a single stem. My only problem with B&B is that the quantities tend to be more than I can work into a setting. My garden is not large enough for 25 of one kind of daffodil, but for the so-called minor bulbs, the quality is had to beat, and I order every year without fail.
On November 11th, 2009, DonnaMack added the following:

I have been ordering from B&B every year since my initial review, and I continue to be very pleased with this company. From tulips, to iris reticulata, to crocus vernus, to narcissus, the quality is excellent and the customer service superb. I am also happy to say that the required quantities have been reduced, which has given me the ability to acquire smaller quantities of more bulbs. The ten Vie en Rose daffs I just received, for example, are huge and fresh. In terms of quality, they are on par with the best.
On November 21st, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I places three orders this year - two regular orders and a sale order. All of the bulbs were wonderful, as always, and there was a nice touch. As I noted, I placed an initial order, and when I placed a second I was sent an email inquiring as to whether I could like them combined, in order to save shipping. I did, of course, but most companies would not have asked.

The result was that I saves several dollars on shipping. Very nice!

Positive plantshopper
Portland, OR
November 5, 2012
Order came in timely manner, fall bulbs were really fresh, no mold, well packed, nice size tulip bulbs compared to many I've received. Prices seem a little higher than some online but you get what you pay for. Just because 5 companies sell a variety of tulips at 5 dif. prices doesn't mean one is a bargain, you want BIG healthy bulbs and I am so happy with my trial order I placed a second one and next year I'm going to go crazy. For all the work of planting bulbs, who wants crap flowers to come up, you want impressive healthy flowers but that takes top quality bulbs.
Negative dlriz
Elkridge, MD
September 24, 2012
Mostly negative, been ordering since 2003. Kept on trying. Biggest disapointments, nearly $100.00 spent on lycoris, very sad outcome, Fritillaria Persica no show, deformed non perennial tulips. Daffodils that don't come back. Here is a list of almost everything I bought:
1. N. Extravaganza (Lasted 3 yrs-gone)
2. N. Bulbocodium conspicuus (One came up 1st yr-gone)
3. T. World Expression (Came up 2 yrs deformed-gone)
4. T. Horizon (Came up 3 years-gone 2 came back last year)
5. Allium oreophilum (Never came up)
6. Allium triquetrum (Doing great spreading)
7. Crocus Chrys. blue bird (Two came up 1st yr-gone)
8. Crocus versi Picturatus (Four came up 1st yr-gone)
9. Fritillaria Persica (Came up 1st yr never bloomed-gone)
10. Lilium Martagon Backhous (4 came up doing great-1 was a lily)
11. Fritillaria meleagris (out of over 50, 12 still coming back)
12. Galanthus woronowii (two come back yearly)
13. Crocus sativus (One still coming up)
14. Crocus speci conqueror (Never seen any)
15. T. Olympic Flame (Never seen any)
16. T. Little beauty (Three still come back yearly)
17. Allium caeruleum (Came back 2 years-gone)
18. Allium Globemaster (Came back 3 years-gone)
19. Crocus Flavus Golden yellow (Doing great come back yearly)
20. Dracunculus vulgaris (Two still come back, one doubled itsrelf)
21. Bletilla striata (doing great come back yrly some doubled 4 bloom)
22. Crinum Ellen Bosanquet (Leaves are there--potted winter inside, never bloom)
23. Crinum powellii (Come back yearly 8 scapes this year, outside all year)
24. Lilium sp. leightlinii (Only saw one of these 1st year-gone)
25. Lilium Asiatic Pink Giant (One of these comes back yearly)
26. Lilium AS Blackout (All come back yearly)
27. Lilium O/T Orania (One of these come back yearly 5 ft tall)
28. Lilium O/T Anastasia (All of these doing great)
29. Lillium Tigre flore pleno (Three come back yearly)
30. Allium Gladiator (Came back 2 years)
31. Allium Christophii (Got 1 by mistake-comes back yearly)
32. Allium White Giant (3 of these come back yearly)
33. Chionodoxa forbesii Blue Giant (all of these come back yearly)
34. Hyacinthoides non-scripta (See a few of these yearly)
35. Ipheion uniflorim (Never seen these)
36. Muscari armeniacum (comes back yearly)
37. Orinthogalum nutans (Never seen these)
38. Puschkinia scilloides var. libanotica (All of these come back yearly)
39. Scilla mischtschenkoana (Never seen these)
40. Triteleia Queen Fabiola (These have doubled, come back yearly)
41. N. Rijnveld's Early Sensation (These are amazing, all have doubled come back yrly)
42. N. Trumpet Warrior (Never seen any of these-got refund)
43. T. Bakeri Lilac wonder (1 or 2 come back yearly)
44. T. Clusiana var. chrisanthia (3-4 come back yearly)
45. T. Humillus Lilliput (Came back 1st year-gone)
46. T. Humillus Odalisque (Never seen these)
47. T. praestans fusiller (Came back a few years-gone)
48. T. Lady Jane (Doing great doubled come back yearly)
50. T Pulchella tete-a-tete (Never seen these)
51. Allium Firmament (Came back a few years-gone)
52. Allium Mars (Three come back yearly)
53. Iris dwarf danfordiae (Saw one 1st year-gone)
54. Iris hist Katherine Hodgekin (Three come back yearly)
55. Iris reticulata Alida (Two still come back yearly)
56. L. Red Hot (Two come back yearly)
57. L. Touching (Came back 2 years-gone)
58. L. Boogie Woogie (1 comes back yearly)
59. Nectaroscor sic. sap. bul. (3 come back yearly)
60. Allium nigrum (4 came back then two come back)
61. Crocus ver King of the
62. Gladiolus communis ssp. byzan (These do great come back yearly)
63. L. Lollipop (All come back yearly)
64. L. Garden Party Oriental (1 comes back)
65. Hippeastrum Johnsonii (Never seen it)
66. Lycoris radiata (2 comes back, 1 doubled)
67. Lycoris squamigera (2 came back-gone)
68. Lycoris chinensis (1 came back-gone)
69. Hippeastrum Pink Impression (Indoor-great-had a baby)
70. Hippeastrum Dancing queen (Indoor-great-had a baby)
71. Hippeastrum Misty (Indoor-great-had 2 babies)
72. N. Perfect Lady (All come back yearly)
73. N. Merlin (All come back yearly)
74. Arum Italicum (Doing great-doubled-come back yearly)
75. Ermurus Lemon Meringue (Never seen these)
76. Lilium Satisfaction (2 came back)
77. Crinum Cintho Alpha (Outdoor-never seen this)
78. Lycoris speringeri (2 come back yearly)
79. Hippeastrum Aphrodite (Outdoor blooms)
80. Hippeastrum Papilio (Outdoor leaves come back never blooms)
81. Hippeastrum Emerald (Outdoor leaves come back never blooms)
82. Amorphophallus napalensis (Comes back yearly)
83. L. Scheherazade (Leaves come back never bloomed)
84. Sauromatum venosum (Comes back yearly)
85. Hippeastrum Baby Star (Blooms nicely outdoors year yound)
86. Lillium Black Beauty (3 come back yearly)
87. Crinum Morei Album (Came back 1st year-gome)
88. Eucomis Pole Evansii (Came back just leaves for 2 years now)
89. Gladiolus Flevo Junior (2 0r 3 come back)
90. Gladiolus Flevo Cosmic (2 or 3 come back)
91. Gladiolus Flevo Daniella (4 come back)
92. Gladiolus Flevo Focus (3 come back)
93. Gladiolus Flevo Smile (2 or 3 come back)
94. L. Miss Feya (4 came back)
95. L. Timezone OT (3 came back)
96. L. Pumilium (4 come back, 2 bloomed)
97. L. Tom Pounce (One came back 1st year-gone)
98. Gladiolus Nymph (1 or 2 come back)
99. L. Robinia (4 come back, 1 is pale yellow)
100. Amarcrinum (leaves for 4 or 5 years never blooms)
101. Crocosmia (Never seen these)
102. Alluim Cernuum (Looks like grass stays year round)
103. Alstromeria (Leaves for 2 years, then bloomed)
104. Colocasia Sangria (Winters inside comes back yearly-very small)
105. Kniphofia (Leaves 1st year then 3 bloomed)
106. Lilium Regale (One comes back-rest are gone)
107. Zantedescheia aethiopica (Leaves 1st year-gone dug up bulb--moldy)
108. Anemone coronara Mr. Fokker (Leaves 1st year-blooms great now)
Company representative comment on September 25, 2012:
On Sep 25, 2012 9:23 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

If there is ever an award for tenacity, you are the winner! Thank you for your business over the years!

Taking a look at your extensive list (you must be incredibly organized! Ever thought of being a book keeper for a bulb company?) I see that a number of them bloomed initially, some for years, but then never came back. And then there were some that never performed.

For the ones that never performed, I sincerely hope you reached out to us so we could have made an attempt to figure out why or to remedy the situation instead of having almost a decade of frustration build.

For the ones that bloomed for a season of more but never came back, again, reach out to us. Not to doubt your abilities (most people here on this site have at least above average knowledge), but we have had people call us saying "My daffodils were great for one year, but never came back again. Not even foliage." Since the bulbs were healthy and viable and performed as promised, the fact that there was no return means there's an obvious issue with the site in which they were planted (i.e., not enough Summer drainage will rot bulbs, automatic sprinklers making the Summer soil too wet, etc.)

We would have loved the chance to figure this out before this post (and maybe we did). Seems your note taking and record keeping skills are impeccable, but we may not be able to go back that far. But we are here to work through any of these types of situations, even to the point of giving you Brent's cell number to talk to him if he's not here. We'll bend over backward to help, I promise! The reviews that state our willingness to help are all over this website, so it's not just because you posted a negative that I'm saying this. It's what we do.

If you'd like to talk with us, call us toll free 877-661-2852 and we'll see what we can do. If you'd like to try again, we'll be here for you with your next order.

Thanks for reaching out. And seriously, you don't live that far from us, ever wanted to work in a highly respected flower bulb company's office?

"Grin-eral Manager"
Brent and Becky's Bulbs
jay@brentandbeckysbulbs
877-661-2852

Positive RemyO
Tonawanda, NY (Zone 6b)
July 9, 2012
I've ordered from Brent and Becky's for as long as they've been around and have always been very pleased. Their bulbs are large and healthy. They grow exceptionally well. I love their daffodils.
There is a marked difference between the growth of their lily bulbs and other companies.
When I've ordered lilies from their half price sale, they sometimes are sprouted a little, but that's ok. They are alive and getting planted right away being spring is in full swing.
Positive FiremanDave
Red Bluff, CA (Zone 9a)
June 7, 2012
I have ordered from B and B for years and always have trusted that they really know what they are talking about when they write descriptions in their catalog or give you advice over the phone, via email or on their call in radio podcast "Tete a Tete". Brent has always been happy to help with a culture question or to help me choose a particular bulb, especially their amazing selection of narcissus!
I feel that I can really trust them to ship bulbs at the right time, even though they often ship much later than other companies, but I think their decades of experience always prove that they know when it is best to plant. IE they ship very late to CA since we often have hot dry weather in fall which is bad for planting.
Company representative comment on June 8, 2012:
On Jun 8, 2012 8:09 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

Thanks, FiremanDave! We appreciate your trust in us! It means more than we can express.

By the way, if you haven't already listened to yesterday's "Tete-a-Tete", we're no longer live. It became more difficult to justify changing our schedules to be there live when, honestly, most of our audience listens to the recorded post. So yesterday's show with my wife, Denise, was the first of our pre-recorded shows. But we're still hear to answer your questions!

Thanks again for your kind words!

GM, Brent and Becky's Bulbs

Positive chadinlg
Los Gatos, CA
June 1, 2012
For bulbs and especially daffs this is my favorite source. They ship large size bulbs for the money and include a nice indestructible green tag with each.
Negative nylorac546
Escondido, CA
May 30, 2012
Years ago I had ordered many spring bulbs from Brent and Beckys and everything was fine! Recently, they offered a 50% off for a late spring order. Well, today I received the order, and was I ever disappointed. The plants I ordered were packed together in a flimsy plastic bag with no individual planting containers, just soil to soil....they should have been each packed separately in their own planting container.The alstromeria is impossible to separate from each other and they were moldy...the buddliea bush had 3 leaves on it was about 4 inches tall from base of soil to top leaf, and was badly wrapped...can't imagine it will ever grow anywhere! The lily bulbs were completely sprouted out. The amsonia was similarly thrown together in one plastic bag and hard to separate. Come on, Brent and Beckys, I know it is the end of the season and you are probably tired, but this is no excuse for your haphazard packing and care... especially sending out sprouted lilys. I know you generally have a great reputation. Also, I called you 2 times today, and nobody in the office.
Company representative comment on May 31, 2012:
On May 31, 2012 7:43 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

Thank you for bringing some of these suggestions to our attention! Although you are the first to denounce our packing methods for our plugs, it has brought up a discussion in our offices today. The plants you ordered are actually plugs, as stated on our website and catalogue by each item. Plugs are usually packed in plastic bags with soil. If we had sent them to you in individual containers or pots, we'd have shipped it 2nd or 3rd Day to you. As it is, we did notice that your order did take almost 7 days to get to you. Unfortunately, this wouldn't have been the case if it hadn't have been a holiday weekend. Our lilies are frozen and shipped without sprouts, but once they thaw (starting immediately), they sprout quickly! 6 or 7 days in a box is ample time for them to thaw and spring into action. We will be checking the roots of the Alstromeria. And regarding your calls, we had staff here from 8am - 6pm EST. I'm not sure how we missed you. Sure, we may have been assisting other customers, but we didn't have a message from you on our voicemail in order to know you had called. Leave us a message next time and we will get back to you ASAP, I promise that.

Thank you for expressing your concerns to us. It does keep us on our toes!

Positive dmac085
Greensboro, NC (Zone 7a)
May 26, 2012
Posted on May 26, 2012, updated May 26, 2012
Posted on May 29, 2010, updated May 26, 2012
Posted on May 24, 2006, updated May 29, 2010
Impulse purchase of 1/2 price summer bulbs/tubers. Ordered on Sunday and had package by Wednesday afternoon. Easy to use webstore. Lily bulbs are large and have a great weight to them, NONE of them have started to sprout in the bags, which is usually the case with late season bulbs. The dahlia tubers are generous and plump, some have tiny eyes beginning.
First time purchasing from this company after having enjoyed their catalog for many years. I will definitely be returning.
Thank you!
On June 11th, 2006, dmac085 added the following:

Just a follow up to admit I left the lilies in the bag for a week and all began sprouting:) Have planted everything and the lilies are up 6-8 inches each and the dahlias are breaking ground as are the gladiola. I'm very pleased and will have no issues purchasing at full price in the future.
On July 26th, 2006, dmac085 added the following:

July 26, 2006
I've got really strong health lilies. The Red Hot's just started to open today and they are beautiful. The other 2 varieties are going to pop open soon. I've also got 3 beatiful Dahlias that have put out their first couple of flowers. The only no shows are some glads but I really think that was my fault for putting them in too shallow of a pot. They have leafed out but I don't think I'm going to see a flower. Later in the fall they will be moved to the planting bed so I can enjoy them next summer.
Very nice!
On June 7th, 2008, dmac085 added the following:

June 2008--Purchased from their 50% off end of spring season sale. My order was acknowledged quickly, recvd. confirmation and the order was shipped and recvd within 4 days of my order being placed.

The lilies I purchased were huge--sprouts formed which I had expected since this is end of the planting season. Dahlia tubers were healthy and starting to sprout and the glad corms were the largest that I've seen from anywhere I've purchased from. Taking the size of the bulbs and corms into account and providing I plant them in a timely manor, I'm expecting to see some great lilies and glads a bit later this summer.

On May 29th, 2010, dmac085 added the following:

05.29.10 Summer Clearance Order
Received quickly, good packing, all items in great condition.
Lilies--ready to plant--not smooshy.
Glad and Crocosmia corms firm--no shrinking.
Dahlia tuber plump with eyes.
Will be enjoying all of these later this summer:)
On May 26th, 2012, dmac085 added the following:

Ordered on May 19 and received on May 23--super fast to ship. I splurge on their summer clearance sale each season and this year was no different. Very happy with my order. The lilies were really big and super ready to be in the soil as were the glads. The two dahlia tubers were showing growth. Couldn't be happier and I do appreciate their summer clearance which gives me the opportunity to try more things than I would normally be able to without breaking the bank.

On May 26th, 2012, dmac085 added the following:

Positive spswanson
Mashpee, MA (Zone 7b)
May 10, 2012
I placed a small order with Brent and Becky's which was shipped out promptly. The bulbs were well packed and labeled and all are growing well.
Positive ycn4chin
Dickson, TN
May 6, 2012
I received my spring order last week. Everything was well packed and shipped during the week I requested. I am very pleased with my order. All the Dahlia roots were huge and each had growth already starting. The other plants were very nice also, including a huge Canna 'Musifolia'. The Alocasia 'Mayan Mask' has already most doubled in size already in the heat we have had this past week. What a nice source for plants you would never see locally!
Neutral Tabacum
Mantua, OH (Zone 5a)
April 25, 2012
Shipment arrived on time.....but packaging was two small boxes with newspaper stuffing...the dry dahlia bulbs were okay, but the mustifolia canna had a major growth area snapped off, it was still in the box....Has one growth area left, so it will grow to a smaller size....The colocasia arrived in good condition despite its limited packaging.... Prices are reasonable with this company....too bad I don't live closer for pickups.....
Positive blueschiz
Landenberg, PA (Zone 6b)
April 6, 2012
I'm looking at all the loveliness in my garden that came last fall from Brent & Becky's. The daffodils are stunning and HUGE! Tulips, crocus and hyacinthoides have been very rewarding as well. I will say their perennials were very small and I had my doubts, but they were healthy and have really taken off this spring after fall planting. My garden is a spring beauty!
Positive subtropic
Deland, FL
April 4, 2012
The canna stuttgart rhizome that I received was very large. Good communication also.
Positive jimfrankmartin
Scott, LA
March 17, 2012
March 16 2012 I received an order of bulbs from this firm. They all arrived well packaged and clearly labeled, healthy, moist and firm. The lily bulbs were so stocky if they were bodybuilders they would win every competition they entered.
The lily bulbs were exhibition size. They were so impressive tears of joy came to my eyes.
I commend the person who communicates with customers via e mail. Their e mails are prompt and detailed. They notified me of the FedEx shipment and expected arrival date. They shipped on Tuesday and I received my package in Scott Louisiana on Friday. Add my name to your list of massively impressed customers.
Positive RUBYS
Wrens, GA
August 28, 2011
Posted on January 26, 2011, updated August 28, 2011
I placed my first order this winter for pre-cooled daffodils. The order came quickly and the bulbs were very large. I just placed an order for summer bulbs and plants. Their prices and shipping charges are reasonable. I enjoyed reading their remedies for planting outside their zone. I even ordered Sprekelia Fomosissima, but I got cold feet and called customer service and picked a safer choice. As a new gardener I really appreciate the detailed descriptions as well as the pictures of plant combination suggestions.
On August 28th, 2011, RUBYS added the following:

This spring I place an order with them. The stars of my garden were the four hippeastrum bulbs that I received (Dancing Queen and Baby Star). The lilies were beautiful. I bought 3 red hot pokers, I lost one the other 2 did'nt bloom this year, but seem healthy. I planted two pineapple lilies. The one that was so small that I thought would be a dud has shown more growth than sparkling beauty,which was a very large bulb.I hope they both survive and perform better next summer. I also placed a fall order for minor bulbs and in the future I will check during end of season sales to try bulbs that I am unfamiliar with or that would be more risky in my zone.
Neutral dicentra63
West Valley City, UT (Zone 6b)
August 27, 2011
Purchased five varieties of snow crocus to plant in the lawn. Two of the varieties failed to emerge, and only a few specimens emerged of the other three.

Also purchased miniature irises and daffs, which came up splendidly.
Positive Willapa1
Youngsville, NC
July 30, 2011
Came in from the 100 degree heat and wanted to let everyone know how much I have enjoyed my oriental lilies that I purchased from Brent and Becky's. The lilies have been blooming for over a month in this heat. The order I placed last fall of spring bulbs was exceptional in size and quality. The daffodils put on the most beautiful display and the neighbors were all coming by and commenting on them. I have been purchasing from Brent and Becky's for years and even in this NC climate I have Olympic Flame tulips that have come back for 10+ years. It may just be the perfect location but they have paid for themselves over and over. This past year I started planting the species tulips because they seem to do well in this area. The customer service has always been prompt to let me know if there is a sold out item or other changes in my order. Thank you to all the staff at Brent and Becky's and I will be looking thru the catalog this afternoon as I plan what will be on my order for this fall.
Positive phdler
Homer, NY
July 25, 2011
Tulips planted last fall were a welcome addition to our spring garden - gorgeous blooms and some unusual varieties too. Spring order arrived promptly. All nice size bulbs and tubers growing nicely. Can't wait for the dahlia's to bloom. Would definitely order from them again.
Positive gumby2bonnie
Groton, NY
June 29, 2011
Ordered elephant ears and canna intrigue from this company in Feb 2011. They came in the spring very well packaged and in good shape. I was very impressed with size of all but Borneo Giant. I have ordered elephant ears from several other companies the last 3 years and these were by far the best. The Black Magic, Illustris, Black Stem and Diamond Head look really impressive as of end of June. The borneo Giant is still coming along slow here in zone 5 but I think I will move it into more shade. I don't think it likes the full sun.The canna intrigue is also coming along slowly.
Positive linette2001
Gainesville, FL (Zone 8b)
May 31, 2011
Just received my second order from them. Both orders had healthy, nice-sized bulbs. My lilies from the fall had gorgeous blooms and my amarcrinum are thriving. The plants I ordered this Spring are very
healthy. Highly recommend.