The scoop on 'Brent & Becky's Bulbs'

Brent & Becky's Bulbs

Green Star: Good Brent & Becky's Bulbs is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

7900 Daffodil Lane
Gloucester, Virginia 23061 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook

This company offers a variety of bulbs.

Company Comment, posted on January 5, 2010:
Brent and Becky's is a 3rd and 4th generation flower bulb company, specializing in an extensive selection of unique bulb finds! As a Garden Watchdog TOP 5 in both Spring/Fall and Summer flowering bulbs, we are your "tried and true" source for superior quality bulbs and customer service! Visit our newly redesigned website for 2010 and easily browse through our extensive selection of bulbs as well as tools, supplements, books, information, home accessories, videos, podcasts and more! You can find us at http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral RHopson
Mobile City, TX
September 16, 2017
I cannot comment on their product, as it will not be arriving until two-and-a-half months after I ordered it, apparently; however, I can comment on the customer service. After a slightly misleading email stating they had received my order and would be sending an additional email soon ( which, after a week, I did not receive), I called their customer service and she seemed a bit confused about the whole order. Once she finally found my order, I explained that I had never received the second email, wherein she informed me that it would be sent when my order ships in late November...not "soon". I placed my order early September.
Summing things up...not a very speedy order processing with this site, and the email confirmation might need more detail about the "additional email."
Hopefully the product is worth the long wait. I will let you know.
Positive GardnerGreg
Norwalk, CT
May 31, 2017
I was a little skeptical of Brent and Becky's at first because the web infrastructure and ordering seemed a little dated but I'm very glad I ordered my dahlias from them. I really liked the small order size; it allowed me to try some new dahlias without having to buy 5+ at a time and their prices were comparable to bulk pricing. Each root was very healthy and I think I have only had 1 not come up. The little thing that I appreciated the most was their plant labels; each bag has a green, hard-plastic label that doubles as a plant marker. I planted 50ish dahlias this year and the last thing I wanted to do write another marker.
Company representative comment on May 31, 2017:
On May 31, 2017 11:35 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you for your trust in us. Our website is always a work in progress and hopefully, it will be a better experience for you in the future! And we're honored at your trust in us as a first time customer. We look forward to making you this happy - at least - in the future!

Positive RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
May 25, 2017
Posted on December 19, 2015, updated May 25, 2017
Posted on June 4, 2015, updated December 19, 2015
Posted on June 6, 2014, updated June 4, 2015
Posted on June 2, 2012, updated June 6, 2014
I placed my order on Monday night, May 28, the last possible moment before Brent and Becky\\\\\\\'s summer catalog closed. All of their bulbs were half priced, and I placed an \\\\\\\"impulse order.\\\\\\\" I was really surprised when the large box of 35 bulbs (nine different ones) arrived on Thursday! They were beautifully packed and well labeled. Not a bad bulb in the lot. I planted them today (Saturday).
On June 5th, 2014, RebeccaLynn added the following:

I can\\\\\\\'t believe how fast Brent and Becky get their orders out! I ordered on June 3; they arrived on June 5. Incredible! Carefully packed. Everything looks great. Tomorrow morning they go in the ground. Too hot this afternoon! Lilies, alstromeria, and hippeastrum - 45 bulbs.
On June 4th, 2015, RebeccaLynn added the following:

My order of 25 Matrix lily bulbs (5 pkgs) arrived yesterday. As I expected, they were fresh, large, and well packed. I planted them today.
On December 19th, 2015, RebeccaLynn added the following:

I\'ve been reading vintage garden books lately, and have become intrigued by \"small\" or minor bulbs. Just before Brent & Becky\'s fall planted catalog closed, I ordered several dozen Chionodoxa and Crocus bulbs and planted them in a small area in the lawn. This was a few weeks ago, and we\'ve had nothing but rain since! If I\'m lucky and they don\'t rot or get eaten by the pesky voles, I\'ll see tiny, colorful flowers blooming in late winter and very early spring in the lawn. I can\'t wait!
On May 25th, 2017, RebeccaLynn added the following:

SO IMPRESSED - again! I placed an order on May 23rd for 2 Dancing Queen Hippeastrum bulbs, 2 Hercules Hippeastrum bulbs, 5 Lilium Muscadet bulbs, and 5 Lilium Scherezade bulbs. The box arrived this afternoon, May 25th! Beautiful, big, fresh bulbs! The Hippeastrum (Amaryllis) bulbs were bigger than most turnips I've seen; planted them this evening. Will plant the Liliums tomorrow!
Company representative comment on May 26, 2017:
On Jun 5, 2015 1:23 PM, Brent & Becky\\\'s Bulbs responded with:

(Does a \"Happy Dance\"!)

On May 26, 2017 7:18 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs added:

On June 5th, 2015, you made us do a Happy Dance! And again, we're groovin' up and down the hallways! Thank you for making our day! It's been cloudy and rainy all week, but today the sun came out and we read your post! Can't get much better than that!

Positive piscesxander
Sacramento, CA
May 9, 2017
This year was my first year ordering from Brent and Becky's and I'm very happy with the goodies I've received. Everything arrived very healthy and is coming up perfectly. Their prices are fantastic and they offer a huge range of very exotic and rare lovelies. I will definitely order from them again.
Company representative comment on May 9, 2017:
On May 9, 2017 7:21 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you so much for your kind words! And welcome to the Brent and Becky's family! We look forward to helping you beautify your world for years to come. And speaking of years, it's been YEARS since we were in Sacremento, but we need to get back! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Happy gardening!

Positive psychopsis
Ann Arbor, MI
May 6, 2017
After browsing lots of online bulb listings this winter, the combination of reasonable prices and interesting selection led me to choose to make an order from Brent and Becky's. My bulbs shipped the week promised when my order was placed, an appropriate seasonal time for my region. The shipment arrived with everything looking healthy and robust. When one item had not been included, the company's customer service representatives helped me resolve the issue quickly and easily. Would order again.
Company representative comment on May 8, 2017:
On May 8, 2017 7:52 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Your experience just touches our hearts! It's SO great to hear that people "get us". We try to offer as much variety as possible without overwhelming people, at prices that are fair and reasonable. We do everything we can to honor the wishes of our customers. And, also in your case, if something goes awry (which happens - we're human), we do everything we can to make it right as quickly as possible. Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to being there for you in the future! Happy Gardening!

Positive PapilioTx
Austin, TX
May 6, 2017
Awesome! Shipped very timely. Arrived well packed. Included instructions, a catalog & invoice. Bulbs very healthy. These will be a gift so I am extra pleased! Will order again.
Company representative comment on May 8, 2017:
On May 8, 2017 7:48 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

We're so happy that YOU are happy, and we hope the recipient of your kind gift is also happy! Thanks so much for sharing, and we'll do our best to make sure everything runs as smoothly for your future orders!

Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
April 28, 2017
Posted on April 29, 2016, updated April 28, 2017
Posted on May 11, 2015, updated April 29, 2016
Posted on November 21, 2012, updated May 11, 2015
Posted on November 11, 2009, updated November 21, 2012
Posted on March 26, 2004, updated November 11, 2009
I have been ordering bulbs from B&B since 1999, and I would have to say that the results have been overwhelmingly positive. The lilies, chionodoxa, alliums, camasias and bulbocodiums have all been outstanding, but I have to give particular praise to their forced hyacinths, which I just ordered on sale this past season, and their amaryllis. I ordered amaryllis Picotee and Appleblossum, also on sale, and very late in the season, but one of my Picotees produced three stems, while another that produced two stems produced six flowers on a single stem. My only problem with B&B is that the quantities tend to be more than I can work into a setting. My garden is not large enough for 25 of one kind of daffodil, but for the so-called minor bulbs, the quality is had to beat, and I order every year without fail.
On November 11th, 2009, DonnaMack added the following:

I have been ordering from B&B every year since my initial review, and I continue to be very pleased with this company. From tulips, to iris reticulata, to crocus vernus, to narcissus, the quality is excellent and the customer service superb. I am also happy to say that the required quantities have been reduced, which has given me the ability to acquire smaller quantities of more bulbs. The ten Vie en Rose daffs I just received, for example, are huge and fresh. In terms of quality, they are on par with the best.
On November 21st, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I places three orders this year - two regular orders and a sale order. All of the bulbs were wonderful, as always, and there was a nice touch. As I noted, I placed an initial order, and when I placed a second I was sent an email inquiring as to whether I could like them combined, in order to save shipping. I did, of course, but most companies would not have asked.

The result was that I saves several dollars on shipping. Very nice!

On May 11th, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I received delivery on a Brent and Becky \\\"special\\\" adveretised on the web: Pixie \\\'Pinot Meunier Purple\\\' dwarf Grape. I ordered two, because I have always wanted to grow grapes and was fascinated by the fact that I could do it indoors on my south facing patio. The two plants came today and I am delighted. Tiny grapes have already formed. Instructions are excellent, and I have a small trellis on which to grow them.

I have always had high expectations of this company and my expectations were exceeded in this case. I am very pleased.
On April 29th, 2016, DonnaMack added the following:

I recalled that my very first order from Brent and Becky\'s Bulbs was lilies, and I saw some varieties I really wanted to add to my collection. I was stunned by the tremendous value. In earlier days ordering five seemed a challenge, but not now, and I grabbed great lilies at wonderful prices. It takes me back, because the very first lilies I ordered, many years ago, were five lilium regale, and I am happy to say that through two moves, those wonderful lilies are still with me.

That was in 1999. What a wonderful company.
On April 28th, 2017, DonnaMack added the following:

I placed another order for more of the Pixie Grapes (because they were so wonderful) and for some bletilla, which I plan to grow in a pot because of my climate. They were delivered yesterday in a CRATE! I couldn't believe it. The crate had cardboard over the top, with plastic ties to secure the cardboard, the plant material was underneath in carefully packed bags with newspaper cushioning. I have never received such meticulously wrapped plants in a reusable crate - very much like a large milk crate. It was clear that it could have been turned upside down, or dropped, or tossed, and it still would have arrived in beautiful condition.

Of course the plants were perfect - mine always are - but in a crate! These lovely people really care.
Company representative comment on April 28, 2017:
On May 11, 2015 8:23 AM, Brent & Becky\\\\\\\'s Bulbs responded with:

You\\\'ve just made our day! That\\\'s wonderful news! Thank you for taking some time out of your day to spread a little cheer. All the best, and happy gardening!

On Apr 29, 2016 10:45 AM, Brent & Becky\\\'s Bulbs added:

You continue to be very generous in your kind remarks! Thank you, from all of us, for your support and trust in us! We\'re looking forward to being there for you for a long time to come!

On Apr 28, 2017 7:58 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs added:

Hi, DonnaMack! It's been almost a year exactly since we last spoke, but still, we're overjoyed at your happiness with how we treat our customers! We will be passing your comments on to our Warehouse Shipping staff, as they DO pay close attention and make sure everything is safe and cozy for the trip to your house. This should make their day! Thanks again for the kind words!

Positive cwalke
Longview, WA (Zone 8b)
April 12, 2017
Having never ordered from this company before I made a small order of lilies...a hard bulb to damage relatively speaking. They arrived a couple weeks ago and were nice and large. They're in the ground and will settle right in I'm sure.
I would like to order some live plants as well.
Company representative comment on April 13, 2017:
On Apr 13, 2017 12:41 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Well, since we're all human, sometimes things happen. But your experience is what we strive for every day! Thank you for your new trust in our company and we'll do everything we can to make sure every experience is just like this one!

Positive McCallTN
Maryville, TN
March 15, 2017
I have ordered spring bulbs the last two years. Good quality. Example, five Monal Daffodils planted last fall produced 16 bloom stalks this spring.
Company representative comment on March 15, 2017:
On Mar 15, 2017 6:03 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

What WHAT!?!? Boo-yah! Whoop whoop! (sorry, celebrating!)

Thank you so much! Let's try it again this Fall and make it a yearly trifecta.

;)

Neutral Loretta_NJ
Pequannock, NJ (Zone 6b)
March 5, 2017
I have been buying from this company for many years on and off and have had mostly a good experience. I always expect some disappointment when dealing with live plants and I don't go running back to return every failure or mislabeled plant. Even when one year my bulbs came covered in aphids, I took care of it on my own and did not fault the company because sometimes it happens. I still buy from them but are they a Top 5 company? Not to me.

The one year I did have a bad experience. I didn't get any response to my emails for two troubled shipments in a row, fall and spring. That year I received mislabeled crocus, 2 dahlias with completely dried out and disconnected tops, reticulated irises that did not come up, dodecatheon roots without growing tips to name the problems I remember. So out of those orders, at least 5 problems so I did complain this time. Never received a response.
Positive TLHGardener
Tallahassee, FL
January 20, 2017
We have placed orders with Brent and Becky's for two years now. Primarily daffodils. But this year we ordered hyacinths and a few other things, too--in addition to more daffodils. They have been fairly good sized orders and we have been quite pleased with the quality of the bulbs. I liked the prices too. As long as they are fair like they are I will likely continue to add to my daffodil collection. We had great luck with the bulbs and they look beautiful. All my neighbors near my farm love the display.

This year I had to add to my order because I did not order everything my 'household boss' wanted me to order. They were wonderful about the change. They also cooperated with me by having the bulbs delivered at the time I needed them. (We had to transport them to my farm about 250 miles north and there were some logistics with that). Very friendly, helpful.

I would not hesitate to recommend them.
Company representative comment on January 23, 2017:
On Jan 23, 2017 11:53 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you very much for your endorsement! We always try to do whatever we can to be helpful, from the beginning to the end of our process, and even beyond as things are blooming and questions arise. We'll be here for years to come, so thank you for your kindness and your two years of belief in us!

Positive mphsgardener
Memphis, TN (Zone 8a)
December 29, 2016
I have placed multiple orders over the years with Brent & Becky's Bulbs. They have an extensive selection, I find the website easy to navigate, all the bulbs I've received have been healthy and large. All orders I've received have been accurately filled, arrived on time, and are well packaged. I view my purchases as an investment and am rewarded every year as the bulbs I've planted multiply and make my yard beautiful.
Company representative comment on January 23, 2017:
On Jan 23, 2017 11:55 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you so much for your kind words! We missed seeing this over the holiday and you have made our day! Happy New Year!

Positive nitzi1944
Posted on May 9, 2011, updated October 29, 2012
Posted on October 29, 2010, updated May 9, 2011
Posted on October 9, 2010, updated October 29, 2010
Posted on April 26, 2008, updated October 9, 2010
This is my first order with this company. The Liatris and Crocosmia are huge bulbs and well labled and packaged. I just planted them. I will order again. This company knows what they are doing.
On May 12th, 2008, nitzi1944 added the following:

The liatris are already showing signs of growth. All 10 of the \\\\\\\"Alba\\\\\\\" have sprouted. I can\\\\\\\'t wait for them to bloom this summer. So far, I am thrilled with this company. I am planning to order bulbs to be planted in the fall. The catalog looks great. This is top notch company to order from. You get what you pay for!
On October 9th, 2010, nitzi1944 added the following:

I just received my order of bulbs. They all look fantastic, big and healthy. Most of the daffodils have 2 or 3 bulblets attached to the mother bulb. I planted daffodil\\\\\\\"Stratosphere\\\\\\\" this morning. All the bulbs were well packed and arrived in a nice plastic crate by UPS. I can\\\\\\\'t wait for Spring!
On October 29th, 2010, nitzi1944 added the following:

I just finished planting N. Acropolis and 50 N. Manly. This was from an additional order. The bulbs arrived within a week and were packed well. I have to say the two bulb trowels I ordered mde planting so much easier and efficient.
It only took a little over 1 hr. to plant 100. Whew!All done for this year. The quality of blossoms should be fantastic next Spring.
On May 9th, 2011, nitzi1944 added the following:

All the bulbs I Ordered came up and were specacular. Acropolis, Manly and Stratosphere daffodils kasted a long time. People were knocking on my door to compliment the display. Highly rec. B and B.
On October 29th, 2012, nitzi1944 added the following:

My bulbs arrived on time. They are huge and healthy. I can\\\\\\\'t wait for the hyacinths and tulips to bloom next year. Great product.
On June 17th, 2013, nitzi1944 added the following:

I recently contacted Brent and Becky regarding Madame Lefebre red tulips which were not true to the catalog, and don\\\\\\\'t look like any of friends Madame Lefebre. I believe they were mislabled. My son also sent pictures. Even though this company believes they are the real thing, they still are giving me a credit on my account. What a nice way to keep a customer. This is a great company who still believes, \\\\\\\"The customer is always right.\\\\\\\" Can\\\\\\\'t wait to order from the new catalog.
On October 30th, 2013, nitzi1944 added the following:

Got my hyacinth bulbs last week and planted them. They were huge and well packed. no duds. I ordered Peter Sty. and Yellow Queen. I\\\\\\\'m giving yellow queen another try since you credited my acct. last year b/c they bloomed all white. Thanks B and B.
On June 18th, 2015, nitzi1944 added the following:

Finally,my Liatris bulbs arrived today. My original order is somewhere in space, but Brent and Becky resent the order on 6/16/15. It was well packaged and was delivered to my doorstep. The bulbs look very healthy. Thanks a bunch, guys.
On November 23rd, 2015, nitzi1944 added the following:

My 6 Amarylis bulbs arrived in great condition. I planted them this morning. I look forward to beautiful blooms! A great company to do business with!
On December 17th, 2016, nitzi1944 added the following:

A great company to deal with. 99% of their bulbs come up AND THERE'S ALWAYS A GREAT SELECTION. Top quality merchandise. The website is a little difficult to navigate for those of us who are 'techno phobic." It's good to have a son who helps with that!!!
Company representative comment on July 22, 2013:
On Jul 22, 2013 8:52 AM, Brent & Becky's Bulbs responded with:

HOLY MOLY! We can't believe that you've taken the time, this many times, to say such nice things about us! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! It means the world to us!

Positive esanita
TYASKIN, MD (Zone 7a)
November 5, 2016
I ordered two different varieties of allium. I didn't know allium bulbs could be as big as the ones I got. Absolutely amazing. Will definitely order more from this company.
Positive brianaucuba
PEQUEA, PA (Zone 6b)
November 2, 2016
I placed my first ever order with Brent and Becky's Bulbs this fall. Using the online catalog I placed my order quickly and easily for some Eranthis and Cyclamen. I was contacted shortly thereafter by their staff to let me know the Cyclamen were sold out. No problem -- I substituted some Helleborus. The bulbs and plants arrived in perfect shape today. The plants were packed with great care. The unavailability of the Cyclamen is not a big deal to me. I realize that things can happen when dealing with live plants as opposed to manufactured goods. I am giving my first order with Brent and Becky's Bulbs a positive rating.
Negative mylittletrees
Corning, OH
September 20, 2016
Posted on September 9, 2016, updated September 20, 2016
My experience with certain aspects of this company have been less than ideal. First of all their website doesn\'t work well, and is not easy to use. For example, I found that there is no easy straight forward way to find the lowest priced daffodil on their site. Other bulb websites have a quick and easy way to sort items from lowest to highest price. Useful features that provide quick at a glance information on price or quantity don\'t seem to be present. Overall website navigation stinks. I even had error pages when trying to view certain daffodils. I actually prefer viewing their catalog, but expected online ordering to quick and easy. It was not.

Secondly I don\'t like their expensive and sneaky way to \"double dip\" on shipping charges. I ordered crocus corms and shipping time was to be around 9/1. I also wanted daffs, but was told those could not be shipped at that date and would require additional shipping charges! I\'m sorry but I call that a bunch of BS. So I went and bought my daffodils at Wal-mart in August. Daffodils are certainly dormant in August and Sept. and should have been ready to ship with my crocuses. I can\'t see a real legitimate reason to do that to somebody.

Thirdly I wasn\'t impressed with the size of the crocus corms that were delivered. I\'ve seen bigger corms in the big box department stores. I suppose they will grow if they are like any other crocus. It\'s difficult to know what to expect out of them.

Finally I would have liked an invoice in the shipping container showing my exact total for the order. After this messy transaction I\'m looking for other places to spend my money.
On September 20th, 2016, mylittletrees added the following:

I did email one of your associates and ask for a finalized invoice, but never heard back.

Concerning the size of the crocus corms. I respectfully disagree. Maybe it was because I was a new customer or maybe because I had a small order; all I know is the corms I received were small.

Company representative comment on September 12, 2016:
On Sep 12, 2016 12:18 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Oh my, we're so sorry that you had such a bad experience!

Recently we asked our fans on Facebook how they preferred to search for Daffodils and not ONE of them said "price". So we've made our search fit the majority demands of our customers. If you're looking for the cheapest daffodils, your box store purchase was spot on and we wish you the best in your choice. We've never wanted to compete by price. We've seen WAY too many other companies fail when they fall into that trap. So, we spend the time making sure that our customers are getting the best quality and best sizes available on the market.

Our shipping charges are spread out over your entire order. So, the percentage of shipping an early Fall planted bulb and a late Fall planted bulb are the exact same. If you select $100 in Fall crocus, the shipping (i.e., 10%) would be $10. If you added $100 in Daffodils, the shipping does increase to $20 because your order total is now $200. They are just shipped at different times. Our shipping Terms are clearly defined on the Terms page of our website: [[email protected]]

As far as timing goes, let's compare this to Christmas. Christmas decorations start coming out in September (or earlier in places) because ABC Company always want to be the first to have it available. So it seems to get earlier and earlier until, it seems, that Christmas would be up all year long. Now, you can buy a Christmas ornament in August and save it. But when it comes to bulbs, you can't just buy them whenever you want and plant them when you want. They don't perform as when they are planted too early. A: They aren't getting the curing time they need to stay viable on the shelf and B: Their roots don't develop until around the time of your first hard frost. The best Dutch growers who have done this for generations like us will tell you the same. Unless you live in zone 2, August and September are WAY too early to plant daffodils. So, although we're sorry that it upset you so, we don't apologize for shipping bulbs to our customers at the appropriate time for planting in their zone.

Size. You know what they say..."Size Matters." And that's why we offer the top sized bulbs available for that season. Mother Nature can throw curve balls at our growers and at the time they dig them for shipping, they may be smaller due to not enough rain, too much rain, too warm or too cold. But we ask them to send us the best and largest sizes available. One thing that IS consistent is the box store's demand for the smallest because they are the cheapest.

And as far as a packing slip with prices, we've never had anyone ask for that. We do email you a copy immediately after an online order is placed, and when the order is entered into our system, we email another acknowledgment with all of the details including estimated shipping dates. So, if you have lost those first two (maybe check your SPAM folder), we'd be happy to send you a third one.

Thank you for voicing your opinion, and we hope we can make you happier in the future!

GM, Brent and Becky's

Positive lanky14
Cleveland, OH
August 2, 2016
I have been buying from Brent and Becky's for about four years. I consistently receive good customer service and excellent bulbs and plants.
Positive Elspeth65
Stow, OH
July 10, 2016
I placed quite a large order with Brent and Becky last fall. It arrived in good time for planting, and all the bulbs were huge and healthy. Many of them had so many offsets it was like getting 2 or 3 bulbs in one. They all came up in the spring, even the ones the dog replanted, and bloomed fiercely. I'm very pleased and will definitely order again.
Neutral BJames1
Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a)
June 19, 2016
Posted on January 5, 2010, updated June 19, 2016
This is THE COMPANY to order healthy bulbs. With a wide, varied selection of excellent bulbs and perennials, you can\'t go wrong. Their quality is superb and their shipping is fast and reliable! I definitely plan on doing business with them in the future! The best part about Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs, if the price is a turnoff for you: wait until the end-of-season specials, then BOOYA! 50% off! That has to be my favorite! Thank you Brent & Becky\'s for offering healthy bulbs at a great value! Highly recommended!
On June 19th, 2016, BJames1 changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

Plant quality has suffered in the past couple of years I have ordered from this company. I have received rotten and virused bulbs and herbaceous perennials that were the size of plugs. Company has tried to compensate for poor quality upon contacting customer service.
Neutral Botanist3
Stanardsville, VA
May 19, 2016
Posted on May 11, 2016, updated May 19, 2016
Posted on April 29, 2016, updated May 11, 2016
In the past, we\\\'ve received great plants from Brent & Becky\\\'s. This spring, we got seven Colocasia which were puny; the tiny crowns look like they just came out of tissue-culture plug trays, about 2-3 inches tall. Odd putting them in pots far too big; the roots have not occupied most of the soil space. These are about 30% the size of what had been sent last year and the year before, always having delivery/shipment the same time period.

I\\\'m wondering if anyone else has had the same experience this season.
On May 11th, 2016, Botanist3 added the following:

When I first commented on our last shipment of Colocasia, I left out another detail, wanting to be sure before I posted: the Colocasia were shipped with spider mites. Curiously, some leaves, young ones, had been cut off prior to shipping. We noticed this and a \"sandy\" looking pattern on the leaves. Later, a microscope and fine webbing confirmed the infestation. This was not a case of mites crawling onto the plants-they had obviously been there awhile, judging by the eggs and nymphs. Having managed nurseries for over 30 years, few things are as annoying as importing pests into an otherwise clean growing area. Miticide has been applied, along with bottom heat, fertilizer and HID lighting to try and get the 3-4 inch plants to a usable size.

Anyone purchasing these plants should be on the lookout, in case the issue has not been resolved.
On May 19th, 2016, Botanist3 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Brent & Becky's did issue a credit for the plants. However, I tried numerous times to reach Jay, who kindly gave contact information/phone, cell numbers-after some days, I've given up on that. After six attempts, there's not much use.

My review was updated to neutral vs. negative. I can't give a positive experience do to the lack of ability to speak with Jay and the inconvenience of having to treat my growing area for mites and having to locate replacement plants needed for a public display.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2016:
On May 11, 2016 10:39 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Good morning! We have taken your comments quite seriously. We have been investigating your order. All we see here on this website is that you are from Stanardsville VA. We only have one customer in Stanardsville and it is a Nursery. On the 2016 order for this customer, there are no Colocasias. Since you haven't contacted us directly about this situation, we're assuming that we may have the wrong customer. Would you be willing to email your customer number, order number or anything else you can share to [email protected]?

Thank you. We're always VERY open to discussing a customer's concerns, so ANYTIME, please feel free to reach out to us first so we have the opportunity to offer a solution and make you as happy as we promised we would do.

We're looking forward to hearing from you!

Positive susand24224
Davenport, WA
May 11, 2016
Bulbs received several weeks ago (late April) and as always they are large, healthy, and appear ready to grow. I have never been unhappy with an order from Brent & Becky's.
Positive kawand33
Lansing, MI (Zone 5a)
May 7, 2016
I ordered dicentra - alba and dodecatheon - media from Brent and Becky's Bulbs and both are sprouting beautifully. I can't wait to watch them continue to grow this season. I would recommend this company.
Positive MollyBlooms
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
May 1, 2016
Posted on November 14, 2015, updated May 1, 2016
Posted on May 8, 2015, updated November 14, 2015
Posted on April 8, 2015, updated May 8, 2015
Posted on April 29, 2014, updated April 8, 2015
As in years past, Brent & Becky\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s exceeds expectations. For Easter, I had ordered some cut flowers from B&B, to be delivered via overnight service on Friday 4/18. I saw by the tracking number that the delivery was going to be delayed due to UPS\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s error. The flowers arrived on Saturday 4/19, most in decent shape but some the worse for wear. I didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t plan on complaining to B&B since it wasn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t their error. But no sooner had I put the flowers in water than a B&B representative called me, asking about the flowers and their condition. I told her that most were in pretty good shape but some were not; she asked me to hold, then after a moment came back on to tell me that she had spoken to Becky and that B&B would send me a new bouquet, free of charge. And indeed they did! The flowers arrived today and are gorgeous, and fresh.

Mind you, all this happened *without* complaint from me. This company truly stands behind their products and provides top-notch service.

I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ve been a customer for many years (gong back to the Daffodil Mart days) and will continue to be so.
On April 8th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

Same great service, and again without a complaint from me. Bad weather delayed my cut flowers from B&B; almost all were still just fine and I did not plan to complain. These things happen. But B&B called and offered to either replace the flowers or give me a refund. I chose to apply the amount toward my next B&B order, which I will place shortly. This company wants to make things right even when the problem wasn\\\\\\\'t of their own making.
On May 8th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

My summer bulb order has arrived. Everything was very carefully packed and looks to be in excellent condition. And as always, detailed growing instructions.
On November 14th, 2015, MollyBlooms added the following:

Just received my latest bulb order from B&B (they were very patient, calling me several times to clear up an ambiguity in my order). Nice healthy-looking bulbs, packaged carefully and well labelled. If only the gardener were as good as the bulbs! : )
On May 1st, 2016, MollyBlooms added the following:

Placed an order in April for a Musa and some summer-flowering bulbs. In a week I had my order! The Musa looks nice and healthy, and the bulbs are firm and of a good size. My experience was consistent with the good history I've had with this company. (And it has a fine catalogue as well.)
Company representative comment on May 8, 2015:
On May 8, 2015 10:57 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thanks for your kind post, MollyBlooms! We really do appreciate your business! We look forward to serving you further in the future! Happy Gardening!

Positive jakeofpk
Exeland, WI
April 19, 2016
This is my second year of ordering bulbs from Brent and Beckys. Last years dahlia bulbs arrived when requested and were in excellent shape. I started them indoors about six weeks before the set out date (requested delivery date was met). The dahlias sprouted and grew beautifully. I was so impressed that I ordered from them again this year. The bulbs are planted and sprouted. I again requested a specific delivery date since we would be out of state. We had severe local weather while we were gone. I came home to messages on my recorder and an email stating that they did not want to send the bulbs due to the chance they would freeze on the truck! A new delivery date was stated and met. Great service!
Positive collectorpalms
College Station, TX
January 6, 2016
Posted on January 6, 2016, updated January 6, 2016
Posted on February 18, 2015, updated January 6, 2016
Ordered over 5 thousands total bulbs for a Trial Garden in Zone 8b Texas for Spring 2015. Primarily Tulips, Daffodils, Crocus, Muscari, Hyacinthus, and Amaryllis. Companies ordered from included: (Brent And Beckys, Colorblends, Van Engelen, Devroomen, Abbott-Ipco,Tulips.com, Long-field Gardens, Netherland Bulb Company, Holland Bulb Company, White Flower Farm, John Scheepers, K Van Bourgondien and etc... Some came prechilled in limited weeks and others were prechilled personally. While it is too early for Results. I have a semi-positive outlook in regards to the bulbs. They do not offer prechilling of most of their bulbs. However, they were packaged In loose netting ( as opposed to boxes or paper bags which helped ventilate the bulbs moreso than others. This might not be the best company to order from if you want a large display and live in an area that requires prechilling of bulbs on your own ( placed in a cooler for several weeks). While the bulbs have not been vigorous or mostly emerged, I am still somewhat hopeful. I did place one order for prechlled muscari Blue Magic and 25 of a small tulip. The muscari look good, but the Tulips are tiny ( 2 inch molted leaves) and have not flowered. I will update in mid spring.
On January 6th, 2016, collectorpalms added the following:

This is an update to my spring 2015 blooms. I had about a 50 percent success rate pre-chilling my bulbs myself. Those that did bloom came true to type.

I placed a new order for Bulbs in Dec 2015 for spring blooms 2016. Unfortunately, UPS lost the bulbs for 2 weeks. I was told they were found in a UPS semi-trailer the entire time. Needless to say, the bulbs did not appear viable once I got them. Once, I contacted Brent and Becky\'s bulbs for a refund, I was told I would be refunded on my creditcard. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed, but I am leaving a positive feedback because it wasn\'t their fault.
On January 6th, 2016, collectorpalms added the following:

Correction it was Fedex not UPS that lost the order.
Positive rdtjr05
Franklin, TN
November 2, 2015
First time purchaser but won't be the last. All the bulbs looked high quality. Pricing was fair for size and quality. Excellent selection. Very pleased.
Positive OldPumpkin
North Smithfield, RI
October 17, 2015

I have been gardening for 40 years and I agree with the post below ! Got my beautifull packed order and will plant tomorrow . Will comment again in the spring . Also first time order from this company !!!

Positive LL1
Tualatin, OR
October 17, 2015
I received my Brent and Becky order today and I simply can't PRAISE them enough!!
I have never received a more BEAUTIFULLY packaged order, from anybody, in my 50+ years of gardening!! ~ and I have ordered from a lot of companies, over those 50+ years.
Not only are the bulbs HUGE and HEALTHY, but each variety is individually packaged, in breathable mesh bags and neatly zip-tied into a beautiful, heavy-duty black, plastic tray, which allows air circulation, while super-protecting the bulbs. The tray will also be so handy to use, in the garden, in the future.
This was my first order with Brent and Becky, but they will now be MY ONLY BULB SOURCE!
Company representative comment on October 17, 2015:
On Oct 17, 2015 2:30 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Holy cow! We are incredibly honored to have you, such an avid gardener, take the time to write such kind words! And after 50+ years, welcome to the Brent and Becky's experience! This is what we strive to achieve each and every day. If you ever need help or have a question, you can reach us toll-free at 877-661-2852 (877-NO1-BULB)

Thanks again for making our day - no - our week! Smiles are on every face around here today!

Sincerely,

General Manager
Brent and Becky's

Positive ncbill
West Jefferson, NC
June 13, 2015
Absolutely. The. Best. Aaaaaa-mazing.

It doesn't get any better. I have been ordering from B&B for about 17 years. This was my first order from my new home and new zone.

I ordered on Monday and received my order on Wednesday--truly amazing, even though it isn't that far for delivery--I basically got "overnight shipping" without any extra charge. The order was beautifully packed, with the individual bags very securely strapped inside a sturdy plastic crate. The bulbs are gigantic and beautiful, as always.

B&B are perhaps more expensive than other places I like to buy from. They are also probably the best value--this company is a reminder of the truth in the old saying, "you get what you pay for."

Even though I have come to expect superior service and product from B&B, they continue to exceed my expectations. To me, this means they are absolutely staying at the top of their game, year after year.

I am greedily making my wish-list for my fall order from Brent & Becky. I recommend this fine company to everyone...if you haven't given them a try, it's time to do so.
Company representative comment on June 14, 2015:
On Jun 14, 2015 8:32 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Holy. Cow! Thank you! We're practically light headed after reading that! We really do give our all everyday, and we spend a lot of time making sure you get the best product available. So, we aren't the "cheap guys" or "box store" types, and we don't apologize for that, because we feel that in the end, you win!

Thanks again for making our day!

GM, Brent and Becky's

Positive crazybanshee
Clear Spring, MD
June 8, 2015
I've never ordered from them before so I placed a small order to test them out (around $110 or so) I ordered a mix of bulbs and live plants. Everything was wrapped individually with a plastic marker so I knew exactly what each thing was and where I planted it in the garden. Unfortunately the 2 milkweeds I ordered were DOA but I called them a couple weeks later when I was sure they were dead and they said they would refund me for the 2 plants with no hassle. All the other live plants are doing great, and so far all 20 liatris and all 20 lily bulbs have emerged. I'm only at 1 out of 30 crocosmia bulbs emerged so hopefully they're just waiting for warmer weather, but overall this company seems like they really care about their customers.
Company representative comment on June 9, 2015:
On Jun 9, 2015 8:56 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

Thank you very much for taking the time to wright such nice things about us! We really do care about the results our customers get from our products and we will always take the time to chat and figure out how to avoid any difficulties, if there are any, in the future. Let us know if we can help you in any way and we look forward to helping you beautify the world in the future!

Negative Zoe57
Mobile, AL
June 8, 2015
Ordered Agapanthus bulbs from B&B and planted them. Having never grown these before I thought after they bloomed they seemed to be "stuck" at a point of not fully opening. I emailed company and was referred to their description in the catalog which basically said they have been unpredictable and may need time to become established.

However, when I received a catalog from B & B I noticed that the photo of the Allium looked EXATCLY like the blooms in my garden where I planted what I thought was Agapanthus! I had never grown Allium either, but I did have visitors to my garden say that they smelled like onions or garlic.

I again emailed company and informed them that it appeared that I had been sent bulbs that had been mislabeled. I asked to send them pictures, or even send some of the Allium to them but they did not respond to that email.

As stated, having never grown either one of these bulbs I did not understand the development process of either one. But when I looked at the picture in B & B's catalog of the Allium I knew it was Allium that had bloomed and was not a "stunted/not fully opening Agapanthus.

Company representative comment on June 10, 2015:
On Jun 8, 2015 11:54 AM, Brent & Becky\\\'s Bulbs responded with:

Oh, no, Zoe57! Did you email us directly or through the website? We\'ll look into the communications to make sure you can reach us and that all of the address was correctly posted. But, by all means, pick up the phone and give us a ring, at 877-661-2852. As you can see by the rest of the folks posting here, we hold strong to our belief that we make sure everyone is happy and we do a great job at it. Please call us and let\'s get this through from start to solution, find out what went wrong and let\'s make sure your a happy customer when all is said and done! Ok? We hope to hear from you soon!

General Manager
Brent and Becky\'s

On Jun 10, 2015 4:00 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs added:

Hi, zoe57! Just touching base. We haven't heard from you as of yet. We'd love the opportunity to work out your problems and figure out what went wrong. Let's work together to fix this. Give us a call toll free at 877-661-2852 at your next convenience. Thanks!

Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
June 5, 2015
Always a good experience with these people. Very healthy plants and reasonable prices. Can't say enough about how pleased I have been with everything I've gotten from them. Thanks Brent and Becky!
Company representative comment on June 5, 2015:
On Jun 5, 2015 1:24 PM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

You are VERY welcome! Thank you so much for your business! It really means the world to us, and you've just made it more beautiful!

Positive willisjw
Frederick, MD
June 1, 2015
As usual, my bulb order came well-packed and with healthy bulbs. Never any reason to complain with this company!
Positive Ves
Buffalo, NY (Zone 5b)
May 15, 2015
Posted on November 1, 2014, updated May 15, 2015
In mid-October I ordered several daffodil varieties and a few minor bulbs (muscari, \"tommies\" crocus, winter aconite). The order arrived in 10 days and the bulbs were in excellent condition, matching the described size (quite large for each species), and looked healthy.
On May 15th, 2015, Ves added the following:

I am happy to report that the Brent & Becky's bulbs survived one of the worst and longest winters we've had. All daffodils bloomed wonderfully with their flowers in abundance. A couple of varieties that are long-lasting were in full bloom for almost a month! Their muscaris are the most beautiful I've seen.
Company representative comment on May 15, 2015:
On May 15, 2015 7:24 AM, Brent & Becky\'s Bulbs responded with:

That's wonderful to hear! Ours did the exact same as, in all honesty, once established, those bulbs really do like a long hard cold period. They seem to thrive the next Spring! We're so happy that you've had such success in your gardens, and we're hoping to hear more good news in the future! If not, we're here to help!

Positive Indie
Medway, MA (Zone 6a)
November 6, 2014
Posted on March 17, 2011, updated November 6, 2014
Fantastic bulbs. All the bulbs I received were large and healthy, and many were doubles. All of the bulbs I bought have come up and are blooming beautifully except for some crocus bulbs that have completely disappeared, possibly eaten by moles.
On November 6th, 2014, Indie added the following:

I have ordered for several years from Brent & Becky's and have always been very impressed with the size and health of their bulbs. Recently I had an issue with one of the bulb orders - the owner immediately called me back and resolved the issue. Now I am impressed with the bulbs AND the service!
Positive cold_bill
Bovey, MN
September 25, 2014
I ordered Erythronium bulbs from Brent and Becky's Bulbs. Last year I ordered them from a different supplier and was extremely disappointed when I received small, dried up little things that were clearly DOA. I planted them anyway, but as I expected, no plants came up in the spring.

The bulbs from Brent and Becky's arrived today, and they are the biggest Erythronium bulbs I have ever seen! This entire transaction with B and B has been a positive experience. Thanks to e-mail messages from them I knew exactly when the bulbs were coming.

BTW, the bad bulbs I received in 2013 were from another company now listed in the Watchdog 30, so I recommend ordering from Watchdog 30 companies only with the highest positive to negative ratios.
Positive BetNC
Hendersonville, NC (Zone 7a)
September 21, 2014
This is my third year gardening. . .and the third year I've ordered from BnB.
I ordered daffodils the first two years and was very happy with the size and quality of the bulbs: they were large, most with a daughter bulb attached, and have come up every year.
The first year, I also ordered some Asiatic and Oriental lilies but did not perform; after emailing and mailing some off-colored dried petals, Becky promptly gave me store credit - which I happily used the next year to expand the number of daffodil varieties I had planted!
So this year, I had no hesitation ordering more Asiastic lilies as replacements for my lily flower bed. I can't wait til next spring to see those gorgeous blooms!!!
Positive daylilly99
northern, VA (Zone 6b)
June 12, 2014
I was ready to leave a NEGATIVE rating after I opened my order; however I did a little bit of research and changed it to positive.

My order came extremely quickly and the bulbs are in good condition.

The only reason I'm using the word NEGATIVE in this review is due to lack of a small bit of information (at least I don't see it on their website), which I needed due to my own ignorance.

I was very disappointed that some of the bulbs were so small. The 2-2.5cm (diameter) crocosmia and lilium lankongense were not what I expected to see, and the lilium Muscadet was a bit disappointing at 5-6 cm. The crocosmia was advertised as 6+ cm bulbs and the lilium at 18-24cm.

Finally, I figured out that these measurements are of the circumference of the bulb and it's my fault for not knowing that. I only wish it were stated more clearly. Am I the only person who doesn't know this is how bulb measurements are given?

As I said at the start, this is basically a POSITIVE review.
Positive nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL (Zone 5a)
June 8, 2014
Posted on April 13, 2010, updated June 8, 2014
AMAZING!! There's really no other way to describe it!

Let me start by explaining that, although I'm not a new gardener, I'm pretty new at bulb planting, having planted my first spring bulbs in autumn of 2008. I discovered Brent & Becky's Bulbs through Dave's Garden (another new discovery) in Spring of '09. I had already ordered some bulbs from another mail order company (not on The Garden Watchdog's top 30).

I immediately began choosing bulbs to order from Brent & Becky's, not an easy task since they are all so beautiful. Eventually I settled on quite a few varieties ordering only 10 of each so I could see how they performed & which ones I liked better. I also ordered ten of a variety I had ordered from the other nursery so I could compare the quality (N. "Tahiti").

Now to the "AMAZING" part. Yes, the bulbs were huge & healthy & neatly separated in net bags with labeled plant stakes attached. Yes they are now blooming beautifully. Yes their "N. Tahiti" flowers are bigger, brighter & healthier than the "other" "N. Tahiti" bulbs I had ordered. But the really amazing part is that several of the Daffodils have MULTIPLIED, IN FACT, MORE THAN DOUBLED, THEIR VERY FIRST YEAR!!! You read it right. 10 "N. Tahitis" have become 24. Ten "N. Delibes" have become 19 & so on.

In the same time the "other" "N. Tahitis", while pretty, have not multiplied at all, are not as large or as brightly colored.

I've also found Brent & Becky's customer service people to be friendly & helpful with very short wait times on "hold". And by the way, you can't go wrong by ordering bulbs they have marked with a "heart", ones they consider "extra-special".

Now the only problem I'm going to have is choosing this year's order. I'm definitely getting more of the same bulbs I ordered last year, but I also want to try so many more of their wonderful varieties. Decisions, decisions, decisions............

On June 8th, 2014, nutsaboutnature added the following:

Although I've ordered spring-blooming bulbs from Brent & Becky's in the past, this was my first order of summer bulbs from them.

As with my past orders the service was great and shipping was FAST!

I also ordered a large, heavy bag (44 lbs) of Azomite (granulated natural trace minerals) and was very impressed with their packing method to accommodate the Azomite. Everything was packed in a re-usable crate with built-in handles made of ABS plastic or a similar material.
That crate will be extremely useful around the garden.

Once again, Thanks Brent & Becky's!
Positive bryana
Albany, NY
May 17, 2014
I ordered Begonia, Gladiolus, Lilys and Polianthes tuberosa.
The bulbs were all firm and good sized and some of the Begonias have actually started sending up stalks which is fast for them.
the one disappointment was that I ordered in January and requested early shipment to start the bulbs inside but they were not shipped until the end of April.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]