The scoop on 'Leota's Iris Garden'

Leota's Iris Garden

3381 Meder Road
Shingle Springs, California 95682 (United States)

This company is affiliated with Nola's Iris Garden (Prevost Ranch and Gardens)

Editor's Comment:
Closed Sept. 2006, from their website

We at Leota's Garden wish to announce our retirement. Our entire inventory has been sold to Nola's Iris Garden. We are confident Nola's Iris Garden will fulfill your future iris needs, whether it be for information or plant sales.

We would like to thank all of our past customers for your support, it has been pleasure serving you.

Our site will remain available for your reference

Our site will remain available for your reference
Positive victorianangel
Lake Arrowhead, CA
September 15, 2005
This was another awesome plant experience! The iris were in great shape, huge, wonderfully marked. They were easy to work with, added extra. I have absoluetly no complaints and will use Leota's again anytime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Positive loladog
Marshall, MI
September 13, 2005
Only my third iris mail-order, but the plants were by far the best I've received -- healthy, large fans with the most professional packaging available. One iris was unavailable and I received three subs/bonuses in its place. Will definitely order again next year.
Positive flowerfrenzy
Vancouver, WA (Zone 7a)
May 19, 2005
I've always been happy with my orders from this company. Their website is probably the best around! Even if you're not placing an order, it's a great source for pictures of different irises you may be thinking of purchasing in the future. The rhizomes have always been healthy and fresh, and all of mine have bloomed the following Spring.
Positive grow4me
Mead, CO (Zone 5a)
January 1, 2005
I just registered today so that I too, could add my coments and experiences. I ordered 10 iris from Leota's, and recieved tubers in great condition; plump and fans were green. I sent a preference listing color types, and reblooming varietes being my #1 priority. They sent a couple of bonus tubers, which were listed as being reliable rebloomers. Only one substitution, and that was for a very similar, more expensive variety. I also ordered from a different iris grower that lives 2 1/2 hours away from me that shipped tubers that had some mold on them, were small, and some were dried up. All the iris that Leota's shipped were very healthy, no mold, and most were large to jumbo sized. I will definately order from Leot's again.
Negative gardengirl5
Nine Mile Falls, WA
December 7, 2004
Leota's Iris web page is one of the most beautiful I have visited. The information is good and the pictures are magnificent. However, after being used to the quality of Keith Keppel and Mid-America Garden, I was seriously disappointed with the quality of the rhizomes I received. Not only were they all incredibly small and dammaged, when I complained in an email, the owner replied that she knew they were small. I would never buy again from this company, but would definitely visit their web page again.
Positive Lady_Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
September 12, 2004
Bravo to "Leota's Iris" this was the first time I have ever ordered plants on the internet, and I must say dealing with this nursery was great! I ordered 26 plants August 9th, and I received my entire order on Sept 2nd. There was only one plant that was not available and Ron contacted me before shipping to ask if I wanted a replacement or a refund, I opted for a replacement. When my shipment arrived I couldn't believe the size of the bulbs, they were huge, in excellent, very healthy condition, and the packaging was very professional. I most definitely got my monies worth, and I will order from this company again.
Positive kittenbark
Waukesha, WI
September 8, 2004
The absolutely best mail order irises period.

I don't even know where to begin with how great this company is. I ordered Irises this year from 3 vendors, all of which I researched from this website. Leotas isn't rated higher on garden watchdog simply because enough people haven't left feedback, so order, be amazed and then leave feedback.

I ordered about 40 rhizomes from them. This is why they are so great:

Service

They were out of a few rhizomes, emailed me with substitution recommendations (good ones) and permission - unlike the other iris vendors I ordered from which just made substitutions without asking. Shipped quickly. Answered email questions promptly.

Quality.

Huge rhizomes I mean some potato size. Clean thick roots as long as 12" in some cases. Healthy fans, some with multiple fans - unbelievable - some of the rhizomes are more like 2 or 3 and can probably be divided next year. Fans are green green, and thick they look like they were in the ground yesterday. No dried up bits or browned foliage here. A week in the ground and there is already new growth starting.

Price

Very reasonable. A lot at the $3-4 range and also the pricey fancypants hybrids, but based on my comparison shopping were moderately to slightly cheaper than their competitor.

Bonuses

the 1 plant out of 50 that was a smallish (which was the average size rhizomes I got from the other vendors) rhizome I was sent 2 of. I also received about 12 bonus rhizomes and they weren't the cheap varieties

I just wish I had more space for Irises, this has been my best mail order gardening experience so far. I would order from them again.
Positive DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC (Zone 9a)
September 7, 2004
Very healthy plants. Good communication. Two of my choices (out of 40) were unavailable. They contacted me by email to ask if I preferred substitute or refund. They indicated some exellent substitutes with similiar characteristics. Included a number of bonus plants which matched my chosen plants in color and style. I will definitely order from them again!
Positive gizzmo93
Iowa City, IA (Zone 5a)
September 3, 2004
I ordered 20 iris from them this year - VERY nice people & VERY VERY nice rhizomes! Thank you very much.
Positive patnjbob
Blossom, TX
September 1, 2004
Have ordered from them for three years. This year seems to be the best as far as size goes on the rhizomes. Their rhizomes were planted two weeks after some and are already rooted and showing growth which tells me they were super healthy iris.
Positive PotEmUp
Fremont, CA (Zone 9a)
August 11, 2004
I just received my order, only one day after an e-mail to ask if they could substitute for one that I had ordered. Well organized website, very pleasant people, wonderful packaging and very reasonable prices for excellent quality rhizomes.
Positive cls009
August 10, 2004
I was very happy with my order. The rhizomes were all large and healthy, and their were 2 bonus plants. Will buy again.
Positive scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN (Zone 7b)
July 16, 2004
............Just recieved my order and they are the best ever. Clean, fat , green and really heavy. They also sent some extras. Good people to deal with.

............I wanted to make sure that 2 special choices would be available and they assured me that they were marking mine for shipment. This was 2 monthes ago when I ordered.

..............Looking forward to seeing the how the blooms color up in my growing conditions.
Positive grusonia
Belen, NM
June 30, 2004
I was dissappointed when I received my order, because a number were sold out, but the Iris received were fantastically healthy and large, and they bent over backwards to make sure I was satisfied. Communication was quick and easy. Their website is beautiful, but I should mention that a lot of the pictures have the colors tweeked a bit to make them look brighter than they really are. I would still recommend this company. They will treat you well.

Dave
Positive gosteena
Rio Linda, CA
April 22, 2004
Leota's has an amazing selection of irises. We visited the gardens and they are wonderful. The plants are healthy and well tended by a lovely family. They have plants available for sale on site in gallon cans or you can mail order rhizomes at very reasonable prices. The website is first rate. My search for the perfect bearded iris grower is over.