The scoop on 'DeVroomen Garden Products (formerly Northwest Bulb & Perennial)'

DeVroomen Garden Products (formerly Northwest Bulb & Perennial)

35590 SE Tracy Rd
Estacada, Oregon 97023 (United States)

Phone: 503-630-3888
Fax: 503-630-3890

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

Editor's Comment:
Closed May, 2010

This company is closed.

Comments:

Neutral 8805
Hebron, IL
February 27, 2010
AS OF 2-24-2010 NORTHWEST BULB IS LISTED AS OUT OF BUSINESS. BOTH THERE WEBSITE AND PHONE ARE DISCONNECTED.
Positive dlefferts
Agawam, MA (Zone 6a)
October 31, 2009
Ordered some bulbs through PNWL-great bulbs. Strongly recommend. Great company to do business with.
Positive BonnieIN
(Zone 5b)
June 15, 2009
I was organizer of a co-op here at DG and placed an order in mid April for 125 Hakonechloa All Gold, 200 Hakonechloa macra Aureola, 75 Helictotrichon sempervirens and 100 Festuca Boulder Blue.
There was a slight delay in shipping because they had temporarily ran out of Aureola but when the plants all arrived they were in excellent condition!
These were 25 cell size and were ready to be planted, very nice size and a great root system.
Everyone was more than happy with the plants they ordered and was very pleased with Northwest Bulb and Perennial's plants.
Thanks so much!
Positive goswimmin
Gainesville, GA (Zone 7a)
January 27, 2008
I have ordered 3 times from the Northwest Bulb and Perennial Co. Each time I ordered 50 plants.
Each time I ordered the Double Queen hellebores.
The plants came well packed and I was surprised at how large they were. This last time the roots were a little overgrown in the pots but I teased them out.
The first batch that I ordered was Nov. 06. Those little plants grew like crazy and all of them are already blooming right now. I am pretty sure that these plants are from tissure culture.
The order that I got in the summer was sent in a refrigerated truck for no extra charge but I did have a wait a few weeks till they got a full truck to go across the country.
M. Wenger/Gainesville, GA
Positive Chris_W
Cement City, MI (Zone 5b)
July 14, 2007
I've ordered twice, once in 2005 and again in 2006, and while some items were of good quality, other plants were a bit iffy and I had a few loses, but nothing really worth complaining about. But the daylilies, which had arrived wet in plastic bags, took a little longer to get established. Now that they are blooming the next year, one variety is mixed with 3 different colors and I don't see any plants that are correct. Another group of daylilies was also incorrect, but at least with this one I can identify it.

My only other complaint would be that the plants were shipped by UPS ground and each time they arrived on Monday meaning that they spent the weekend in boxes with UPS. This probably contributed to the wet daylily problem.

It certainly wasn't all that bad, but I don't think I will order again.
On July 17th, 2007, Chris_W changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I was contacted by a representative of this company and they asked if anything could be done to make up for past mistakes and told me that they have changed their shipping method so things don't sit over the weekend. Their willingness to help out and commitment to improvement is a good sign.
Positive jessmerritt
(Zone 7b)
July 13, 2007
I used this company when replacing part of my lawn with Liriope. Customer service was helpful. There was one small hiccup that was easily solved. Apparently when I placed my order the operator was unaware that the variety of liriope I wanted was unavailable. I had a customer service person call me back a week later to inform me of that and try to substitute with a different variety. I was impressed that they actually called me and not being too pick about cultivars I was happy with a replacement. The flats came in one of the best packing systems that I've seen in a long time and the plants were much larger than description. It was a good experience overall and when I order again, I know to check the availability of a plant carefully.
Positive DianaT
Mullins, SC (Zone 8a)
June 12, 2006
I did a very small co-op order from this company, 50 plants of geranium Victor Reiter Jr. Other than a small mixup on the shipping date, my experience with NW Bulb was great. The plants were heatlhy, well packed, arrived in a timely fashion, and I am very pleased with the 10 I kept to grow out myself. I would not hesitate to order from them again.

Diana
Negative riz_reyes
Shoreline
United States
April 19, 2006
I expected my first order and experience to be excellent, of quality service, and well grown plant material, but I was a little put off by the disorganization, lack of communication and the condition of the plant material I ordered.

I called and placed a basic order of 50 plants of Corydalis elata to grow on and sell for spring plant sales. I spoke with their representative who informed me that they would be ready the first week of April. I called around early-March and didn't mind the April delivery date. I gave my shipping and payment info. and asked for order confirmation and their current availability list via email. I didn't hear back from them after 2 weeks assuming they were just really busy, but I eventually called back to confirm that my order was received and delivery was still scheduled for the first week of April.

When I spoke to a different representative, I learned that the original woman who took my order no longer worked there, but they did have my order and finally sent me the confirmation.

The order arrived on time, thankfully, but as I unpacked the box, I was disappointed with the quality of the plant material. It was decent, but not the kind of quality I was expecting from such a reputable company. Some of the plant material in the 3" pots were poorly culled liners, a small number were not really finished off, and most of the pots were covered in liverworts, moss and I discovered 3 live slugs on top of the pots.

I sent them a friendly email to bring to their attention these issues so that their future shipments to their customers are free of these problems. I've yet to hear back from them about my message.

Overall, I expected much better. I bet their other materials are top notch, but these Corydalis were disappointing. While I could have gone through the trouble of returing the parcel for a refund, it would just be more time and money. And also, I have to keep them and grow them on because I have clients already waiting for them.

On top of all this, they charged my credit card TWICE! Thankfully, the caught their mistake.
Positive signorgelato
Fair Lawn, NJ
April 18, 2006
The first clue that a quality shipment had arrived is the absolute weight of the carton--alot heavier than any plant shipment I'd ever received, and there have been a few. I opened to find flats of surprisingly-advanced plant material in 3" pots with copious amounts of roots, very impressive. Not only is the material more than reasonably priced, the service is quick, and attentive (invoice sent in the mail, alerting you to the impending arrival of the order, and a super packing job). Among 75 plants shipped, only a few were dead, but we're talking about going UPS Ground on a week-long trek from Oregon to New Jersey...I will most certainly order from these people again, and tell all who'll listen to avoid the slick-catalog nursery people and head for an outfit such as this! Accolades, Northwest Bulb!--J. Wald
Positive Cgardener
Prairie Du Sac, WI
April 30, 2004
This company is a pleasure to work with! The customer service is great. My order was shipped in a timely fashion. I was sent notice of the shipping date and the anticipated delivery date. Most importantly, the plants were big and healthy.

I plan to order from Northwest again.
Positive dirtdutchess
January 20, 2004
The product arrived in a timely manner, the plants were in excellent condition, accurately counted and labeled, ready for planting...it was a pleasure doing business with this company. Rene, the owner and his staff are always helpful and polite. I would chose to do business with them again on a regular basis.