The scoop on 'Celestial Bonsai'

Celestial Bonsai

Waldorf, Maryland 20604
(United States)

Phone: 1-888-588-1890

Visit Celestial Bonsai at:

This company specializes in:Other helpful information:

No positives

Comments:

Negative Mage973
Sylvania, OH
May 6, 2011
Posted on April 1, 2011, updated May 6, 2011
I ordered a 2-3 yr old brush cherry a kit that includes a 3-4 yr old ficus too little in a 4 inch pot, soil, akadama soill, plant food, 6 inch pot, humidity tray, screen, bonsai 101 book. (see photo) It was shipped quickly via UPS.

Pros:
-shipped quickly with tracking number...ordered 3/22 received 3/25
-Trees were well packed with styrofoam peanuts. Lots of bubble wrap around the pot.
-Trees were well watered- no bugs (so far)
-Nothing missing, everything I ordered was included
-Nothing was broken

Cons:
-paypal payment thru CB website went to Celestial Gardens in NC not Celestial bonsai in MD
-soil bags were not labeled
-With the kit, they sent something other than akadama soil...I'm told it is turface. I got akadama elsewhere and the difference is obvious. No recourse since they don't respond to emails.
--Zero communication until the item shipped and that was from UPS(tracking number)
-Zero communication-I emailed last Tuesday and again later in the week and asked if they include warming packs when shipping in blow 40 degree weather to cold climates and still no response.
-No packing slip, no instrutions for 'just out of box' trees. The only literature other than the book in the kit was "thanks for using Celestial Bonsai." on a slip of paper.
-a few spotty leaves on both trees...although well watered the ficus was a bit crispy
-No response to emails even when sent from a different email address. I would like to purchase a pot but if it is broken or defective I'd have no recourse because they don't communicate with buyers or even potential buyers.
On May 6th, 2011, Mage973 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

UPDATE
When will I learn?
I ordered 2 potsand instead of emailing or calling to say those are no longer manufactured they sent what ever they had. Wrong shape, wrong color, wrong style/size/profile ( 4" profile pot instead of 2.5"). Weeks later, they still have not changed their web site to indicate these aren't available. When I wanted to returnthem I was unable to get them to respond to emails and they have no toll-free number just an answering machine and no street address just a p.o.box. I finally got my refund but a 3rd party had to intervene. What an inconvenience! Order received 4/18/11, full refund received 5/4/11.
I really like the trees I got from them earlier but seeing that they sent me something else instead of akadama in the kit and then the hassle with the wrong pots and their lack of customer service...

Sheesh at least add a toll free number or send/answer emails
For not contacting me prior to sending the wrong pots, for no toll free number, for no email communication and for the hassle in getting the refund and for still not updating their website regarding no longer making those ppots-- negative rating.
If you do chose to buy from them use a funding source that has buyer protection.
Negative captron
Arlington, VA
August 19, 2005
I bought a very expensive plant that turned out to be diseased and doomed. They did not answer numerous email requests for assistance. They do not answer their phone. They did not return messages left on their voice mail. Obviously they are simply interested in selling a plant, even if it is half dead.
I would stay away from these guys and never buy anything from a merchant that does not stand behind their product. FYI, these guys peddle their plants through kiosk in major malls like Tysons.