The scoop on 'Gurney's Seed & Nursery'

Gurney's Seed & Nursery

Greendale, Indiana 47025-4178 (United States)

Phone: 513-354-1492
Fax: 513-354-1290

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Gardens Alive!

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative ScottKaelyn
Saint Charles, MO
July 15, 2014
Ordered seeds from this company and in the first shipment they got my order wrong. I e-mailed asking for assistance & received no reply. I send the seeds back with a letter & received the correct seeds a few weeks later. I planted the seeds in the spring but found that the seed packets (though properly labelled) contained the wrong seeds. I will not be ordering from Gurneys again.
Positive lwbuchholz
Manhattan, MT
June 29, 2014
I placed 2 orders from them this spring with their 50% off coupon. The trees came through wonderfully. All the fruit trees have started growing except 2 of them. I contacted them about it and they said they would replace them or credit me. The nut trees haven't shown any sign of life yet. I have been told they take longer so I will see. They told me they had a forever warranty. If the nut trees fail I will post again otherwise I am pleased. I wished I had as good of luck with the other nurseries.
Negative mark1035
Gilman, IL
June 28, 2014
I have been a satisfied customer of Gurney's for about 15 years. I received a one day e-mail offer from them for 50% off my order. I placed the order for seeds and fruit trees and made sure I was receiving the 50% discount on the $200 plus order when I hit the confirm button. I did not print the order as I assumed they would send an e-mail confirmation. The order confirmation contained no prices or info on the discount given. I received the seeds soon after and the discount shown on the invoice was exactly 50% off the total for the seeds, $22 and change. In March I got my credit card statement showing 2 charges from Gurney's, one correct and one wrong. I immediately phoned Gurney's
about the discreptancy and was informed that my original discount was for only $25. I asked to cancel the 2nd part of the order but was informed that it was too late as it had just been shipped. They told me if I could supply the original discount coupon code they would give me my discount. I did not have it and it was not on the e-mail order confirmation. That is when I rembered that they had made that error before but that time I had the original coupon code and received the correct discount. I will never do business with them again.
Neutral bookworm07
Pacifica, CA
June 16, 2014
I've placed 2 orders with this company. The first one was simply for some seeds. I had no problems receiving this order.

After the first order I was emailed a $50 for $25 coupon with this site. I went on and picked out some plants. Upon opening the site, they had a clearance sale. Naturally I go and shop the clearance section. When I go to the checkout and enter my coupon code, all the prices change (mostly back to full price). I called the company and was informed that the clearance section was a "coupon". Okay..... I ended up changing my order and using the first coupon anyway.

I ordered:

2 blackberries - no complants. Good looking bareroot plants.
6 pack lily grab bag - I hadn't planned on planting them at that moment but most of them were already growing and breaking out of their packaging. So in the ground they went.
1 olive "tree" - Olive "twig" is more like it. The main part of the plant is 3" tall with a 6" branch. I'd be really upset if I paid full price for that twig, as it is I'm going to wait and hope it becomes a tree. If it dies I'll replace it with one from StarkBros.

1 blue berry - First it was going to ship separately then was out of stock and being refunded. The Bluecrop Blueberry is STILL available to order on their site. My 2 big issues with this is they should have an actual inventory not a "order in good faith and hope they actually have it when your order is packed" and that the plant is still listed as available on the site. Come on now.....

That's three strikes against Gurney's. One, bait and switch on prices. Two, the twig. And finally three, the out of stock but still available on their site blueberry.

The blackberries and lilies are looking good. The seeds were shipped with out problems. BUT with the three strikes, there are soooooo many sites out there that I won't be doing business with them next time.
Positive goldenone19
Reno, NV
May 31, 2014
I got a free top hat blueberry plant from Gurney's all I had to pay was the $5.99 shipping. Some time ago I started to get their magazines and was a little skeptical about ordering from them since I was used to the glossy magazine that Burpee's usually sends. Out of curiosity, I went to their website and subscribed to their e-mails. Like most seed companies subscribing to their e-mail list=better deals. I couldn't pass up the free blueberry plant which included no other catches, saying I had to buy a certain amount to get the plant 'free' It wasn't like that at all. My plant arrived a week later healthy and green. So I went ahead and ordered a pink lemonade blueberry on sale as well. I was surprised with the quality of the Top Hat blueberry seeing as it was 'free' and free usually means dead, so I'm expecting the quality of the pink lemonade blueberry to be of excellent quality as well. I have a small patio garden where I grow most things in pots and usually order from Burpee, this year I have taken a chance on two new seed companies, Gurney's and Territorial Seeds, both experiences have been good so I may consider ordering more from them in the future.
Positive littlebunnyfufu
South Sumter, SC
May 29, 2014
I have a very large acreage property with five separate fruit orchards with over 150 trees,a half acre blueberry patch, and a half acre strawberry patch. On average I spend thousands of dollars a year on edible landscaping, and I purchase from a wide range of internet plant purveyors.

In the grand scheme of things, Gurney's is a good, reliable company if you understand the company's strengths and quirks. I have ordered from them for years because their customer service is easy to deal with, and their ironclad plant replacement policy is trouble free.

Fruit trees-meaning apples, pears, peaches, plums, apricots-are their overall most reliable product. The vast majority of their trees are larger than what I have been able to procure from other companies, which have higher price points.
The only times I have received relatively small fruit trees are products that are unusual varieties like Trugold peach, Flat is Wonderful peach, Sugar Pearls apricot, or Harlayne apricot.

Their apple trees and pear trees have always been large caliber and very satisfactory.

Blueberry bushes and grape vines have always been of consistently good quality in my experience. The blueberry bushes are relatively expensive for the size of the plant, but they've all arrived alive and vigorous. Ka-Bluey blueberry especially grow quickly especially if potted in Miracle Grow for the first year. Frequently they are triple or quadruple in size when I transplant to the field in the following year.

Though the one year old grape vines look small on arrival, I rarely have any of them fail to establish directly on in-ground planting. I particularly like Pink Reliance for vigor and beauty. By the next year, mine were twenty times larger than planting with minimal care and Miracle Grow fertilizer a couple times a year.

Asparagus crowns are another product that I find very gratifying from Gurney's. Their two year old crowns are the worth the added expense. I've purchased Jersey Supreme, Jersey Knight, Jersey Giant, and Purple Passion-all were enormous crowns compared to two year crowns I've purchased from other websites and at the local brick and mortar big box stores. I have a quarter acre in asparagus on my property, and the survival rate on these crowns has been excellent. I do recommend spraying the crowns with a fungicide on arrival because mildly damp crowns packed in a sealed box has a tendency to get moldy-it's a problem I've noticed from all mail order crowns I've received.

I have come to realize over years of trial and error that the following plants supplied by Gurney's are wee small.

1) Figs - I've used larger toothpicks
2) Bush cherries-Carmine Jewel comes in a 2 inch pot despite it's retail price of $35 a plant
3) Superior Chinese chestnut-drinking straw size and slow growing. (My 3 yr old trees are thigh high to me, and I'm 5'2")
4) Raspberry canes - Small compared to other places I've purchased from and a very small root system. I've found them hard to establish. Survival rate has been like 1-2 plants out of 10 purchased. I've found it true 3 years running on the Anne raspberry plants.

The sweet potato slips are expensive but have been as good as any that I've gotten from other internet sites. You'll want to open the box immediately and get the slips into water when they arrive because they ship with very little moisture retention packing.

I would advise against ordering live vegetable plants like tomatoes from Gurney's. Tomato plants really don't ship well regardless the seller, and I find tomato plants are pretty much the easiest garden plant to start from seed aside from beans and peas. Growing tomatoes from seed is pretty idiot proof, and seeds are a much better bang for the buck for vegetables in general anyway. One packet of tomato seeds can last me four years of planting-that's true for squash, eggplant, cucumber, pumpkin, and watermelon just to name a few.

The uncertainty in when an order will ship is just a fact of life with Gurney's. If you can't accept it, you need to find some place that ships like clockwork-such as Amazon.com. Gurney's sometimes has to locate the plants from its sister companies/network of suppliers before the items can ship. Multiple shipments to complete an order is just the way they function. It's normally two weeks to a month from the time I order before I receive a complete order, and sometimes items can pushed back to ship next season or get cancelled altogether. Those are the breaks when ordering plants over the internet. I've experienced cancellations and deferrals on shipment of product from 100% of the internet nursery's that I've used.

I've used Burpee's, Park Seeds, Wayside Gardens, Raintree Nursery, Burnt Ridge Nursery. Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, Grandpa's Orchard, Stark Brothers, Berries Unlimited, and I'm sure I'm forgetting to list a dozen others.

My favorite thing about Gurney's are-as I mentioned-their hassle free replacement of dead plants regardless of whatever ignorance, idiocy, or neglect a customer inflicted on the hapless plant.

My second favorite thing about Gurney's is that they send links for deep discounts on all their products if you subscribe to their e-mail advertisements. That $35 Carmine Jewel bush cherry was mine for $15. Yes, it's still tiny, but the great thing about bush cherries is that they grow extremely fast and are very forgiving of stupidity we humans inflict on them. I've had Hansen's and Nanking bush cherries go from six inches tall to over five feet tall in 2 years.

Neutral lilaclily
Lombard, IL (Zone 5a)
May 29, 2014
Posted on April 10, 2009, updated May 29, 2014
I will admit, I was a bit apprehensive about ordering from here, based on all the negative reviews. But Gurney's/Henry Field's was the only place around that I could find a Carmine Jewel bush cherry, so I took a chance and used the "Save $25 off $50" coupon.

I ordered the bush cherry, a grape vine, and a "buy 25, get 25 free" everbearing strawberry special. The bush cherry, while small (about 12" high), was very healthy, and packed well to avoid breakage. The strawberries are just breaking dormancy and the grapevine - while great-sized at about 3 ft tall, appears to still be dormant.

I received an email confirming my order when placed, and an email when the items shipped. I could go to their website and check the status whenever I wanted, and if an item has shipped, they also provided a tracking confirmation number.

I was expecting to be disappointed and took comfort in the fact that if something went wrong, I could at least dispute the charge on my credit card bill. I am pleased with this order though, so pleased that I placed another order for some more fruiting plants - including a peach tree. I'm hoping to get lucky the second time around and will update this review when I receive those items.

One thing to note on the 2nd order I placed - the blueberries went from having a delivery estimate of next week, to mid-May, and then back to next week. Although either dates are fine with me, I obviously would prefer them sooner than later, so am keeping my fingers crossed.
On May 9th, 2009, lilaclily added the following:

An update to both orders:

All the plants from the 1st order are doing really well. The bush cherry and strawberries are growing like gangbusters. The grapevine broke dormancy, and how! It is vigorous to say the least.

One the 2nd order, the blueberry trio arrived 4/13. They were all really healthy and the largest one even had a few flower buds on it! The peach tree and additional grapevine arrived on 4/27. The peach tree was tall (over 3 ft tall) but dormant so I was a little worried because we're talking absolutely NO signs of life. I planted it immediately and within 3 days saw green growth. I'm no longer worried. :)

This time the grapevine was a puny little thing - not big and robust like the one from the 1st order. I planted it anyway, but after no signs of breaking dormancy, and snipping the tip showed dried and brown and not firm and green, I called Customer Service. My call was answered promptly and the woman informed me that the variety I had ordered was no longer available. She helped me choose a suitable replacement. While I did not receive a confirmation email, I was able to see the no charge replacement order on their website with an estimated ship time of around May 18. I just went to check again and the item just shipped May 8, and I should have it May 11th or 12th.

Like my review of related company Henry Field's, try as I might to have find one thing to nitpick about with my experience(s) with Gurney's, I can't find one. From start to finish, it's all been positive.
On May 29th, 2014, lilaclily changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

While my bush cherries, strawberries and peach tree are thriving, I am updating my review to reflect my disappointment in the "Ka-Bluey" blueberry trio. As you see from the date of my original review, 5 years have passed. That trio of plants, while still alive, have not thrived. 5 years later, they are puny little sticks that do not get any bigger and do not produce more than one flower/fruit. I stubbornly refuse to compost them and get healthy, producing plants from the local nurseries, but I'm thinking I need to just accept it and move on rather than continue to give these runts prime space in my garden.

Incidentally, while my strawberries grow and produce each year, they have proven to be June-bearing and not everbearing. So I was probably shipped the wrong kind 5 years ago.
Negative tombo123
Arlington, MN
May 27, 2014
I ordered some tomato plants and tomato food in April, they sent the plants, almost dead, lost 4 of them. The tomato food never arrived and Gurney's has changed the delivery date today for the 3rd time for July. I am not sure what good the fertilizer is when half the growing season is over but I guess they ship it when they have some even if they have promised to get it out 3 times now.

Even better, I called about 3 weeks ago to order some pepper and tomato cages, I asked if they had them on hand and how soon they would shoip, the rep stated they are on hand and will shoip within 48 hours of your order. Well, the pepper cages did ship but no tomato cages, called today, now on BO till July. I guess I should have explained to them I wanted them for this years growing season.

The tomato plants took 6 days to ship from Michigan to Mn. They were in very poor shapr when recieved. 5 of the 9 will live and the others died. I did not bother to contact them in regards to a refund as that would be a larger pain that it woiuld be worth.

I ordered some giant radishes from them and they were also BOerd, now it shows will ship at the end of June, third time they have changed that delivery date to a later date.

NEVER again will I order anything from them, they lie about the shipping dates and lie if they have the product on hand.

I would not believe one word they tell you as you have no idea if it is the truth or not.

Very sad when a company has a customer service dept like they do even when they say they have world class CS, boy is that a stretch unless they have the worst CS in the world.

Gurney's does offer some quality product if you can get it and then get it even close to no time.
Negative ifthetruthhurts
South Bend, IN
May 26, 2014
This was the first and last time we will ever be ordering from Gurney's. Our order was to be shipped on 5/02/2014 and still today 5/26/2014, we have not received the order. When the order status has been checked the shipping date has changed on a daily basis. The flowering bushes that we order have definitely passed the time of our being able to enjoy them this year...that is, if we even receive them this year to plant. Buyer BEWARE!
Neutral mlrplast
Red Bud, IL
May 14, 2014
I can remember that my dad ordered from Gurney's many years ago. So, I decided to order heirloom tomato plants and some other vegetable plants for our garden.

I placed my order on April 4th. They emailed that the plants would be sent at the proper planting time. Well, it is now May 14th and we are near St. Louis, MO. We are well past planting time for many plants.

Part of the order arrived today. I cannot tell you how disappointed we were when we opened the boxes. The plants had been in transit for easily a week and the stress had taken their toll. They looked as if they were not even watered prior to packaging. The plants were wilted, yellowed and looked so bad that I immediately emailed Gurney about it.

I requested a full refund - not replacement plants. They were also about 6 inches high - they were not even nice specimens.

I have given a 'neutral' rating due to the email I promptly received from Gurney stating that they were refunding the money for the tomatoes and peppers and would cancel the remaining part of my order and refund that as well. So, Gurney still has a customer service department. But what we really wanted was nice vegetable plants for our garden!

I will not be ordering from Gurney again. This is sad. To have a company that has been in business as long as they have and then not be able to handle that business adequately. A real shame.

If the refund does not arrive in a timely manner, I will post again. Writing this review saddens me - but I wish I had checked out their reviews prior to ordering. It would have saved us a lot of wasted planting time.
Neutral ndboy
Bellwood, NE
May 7, 2014
I ordered 4 trees from Gurneys this year. I have ordered from them in the past and have been satisfied. I ordered a apricot, a nectacot and 2 peach trees. The apricot arrived first, they were out of the standard size and substituted two i dont even know if i could call them twigs to replace the full grown tree. I called and let them know I was very disappointed and they promptly refunded my money. I did plant the little sticks because I didnt want to just throw them away. Well they were so small the first time I mowed I ran over them because I couldnt see them! The next to arrive was the peach trees. I have ordered them before from Gurneys and they have been decent size, this year they were pathetic, half dead and very small. I called again to say I was very disappointed, they told me last summer was not a good year for growing peach trees. I told them I would try them out. I planted the trees, but within two weeks I could see they had died and I pulled them out. I called back and was again promptly refunded my money. I was waiting for my last tree arrive wondering what this one will look like. Well to my surprise they ran out of this tree and it was cancelled on me and Again I was refunded the remainder of my money. I was very disappointed in Gurney's this year, I have never got awesome trees from them in the past, but they at least were a little bigger and ALIVE! The only reason I gave them a neutral rating instead of a negative is because there customer service has been so good about refunding if you have a problem with anything. That has always been the case with Gurney's is their great customer service. I ordered fruit trees from Stark Brothers and Van Well Nursery. The Stark Brother trees were nice size and alive, much better than Gurney's, but if you want nice fruit trees order from Van Well Nursery, the trees I got from them were beyond nice. Large, well branched, large caliper trees. Very impressed with them. I will only order from them and if I cant order from them what I want I will go to Stark Brothers.
Negative doxielvr
West Hartford, CT
May 6, 2014
I ordered 3 blueberry bushes from Gurney's early last fall. they were pathetically small, spindly sticks of "bushes" and they arrived in early December (I live in the Northeast so by early December gardening is really over). The bushes appear to be alive, but I would guesstimate I will be lucky to have berries on them 5 years from now, if then. They are maybe 10" tall at best and have about 3 stems each. I would never buy from them again. Very disappointed, both in the timing of the shipping, and in what I received.
Positive chrisp123
SAGLE, ID
April 26, 2014
I ordered in 2013 black walnut blue crop blue berry chandler blue berry 2 raspberries English walnut and some garden seeds. everything grew nicely except the blue crop blueberry, they sent a very nice bigger than advertised English walnut. the blue berry was replaced this year as they ran out last year. customer service was nice to me. I ordered from them again this year and have received all plants and seeds. the butternut didn't look too good upon arrival box end smashed and the tip of tree is broke probably due to ups handling rather than gurney's but planted and will see what happens. by the way the blue berry that died last year when I dug it up this year it had a gopher tunnel under it. so I probably owe gurneys for the second blueberry as it wasn't their fault it died. the hazel nut they sent this year looks good and the Ozark strawberries are showing signs of life despite the cold weather the last part of April here. their black walnuts are a bit on the small side but have good root systems. I would recommend gurneys
Positive juhur7
Anderson, IN (Zone 6a)
April 25, 2014
Posted on April 18, 2014, updated April 26, 2014
Posted on April 14, 2013, updated April 18, 2014
Posted on April 2, 2013, updated April 14, 2013
Posted on October 26, 2012, updated April 2, 2013
Posted on September 13, 2012, updated October 26, 2012
I have bought plants from this company many times over the years, I only find the plants get here a little slowly ,only they tell you that to start with about when things are to ship..Everything I have ever bought from this company has grown and done well.
On October 25th, 2012, juhur7 added the following:

i purchased a few rhododendrons as a gift and they looked so nice I kept one for myself,the garlic looks good also. Everything I have ever gotten from this company has done well.I have been getting plants and seeds from Gurney's since the 1970's,since then they have changed location and my opinion stays the same,a good solid place to shop for your garden!
On April 2nd, 2013, juhur7 added the following:

My three little bare root Nanking cherries look good , The perennial Huckleberry looks excellent , The Pink lemonade Blueberry could not look better ,
The other two bare root Blueberries look nice , above average . a Spicebush bare root looks excellent .
These plants are all near to exactly what I would I expect as to the cost . One of the Nanking Cherries has shriveled thin with the other two leaved and growing , only I am satisfied as to the cost as you could not do better in a dollar sale . The third will require special care to grow well , and I am sure it will ,,,
On April 14th, 2013, juhur7 added the following:

Updating the nankink cherry the third skinny little one has budded to leaf and is now growing ..
On April 18th, 2014, juhur7 added the following:

I ordered a few more today , never had any problems with old SD . or that they have moved to IN ,
I will update when they get here , Plants from last year , those that have not been destroyed buy garden pests (animals here)
and my lack of care sometimes , are doing excellent ..
When you consider quality , with this companies specials . it is a much better gardening experience ..
On April 25th, 2014, juhur7 added the following:

Plants arrived today , All in great shape , I still have no problems with the folks at Gurney's ..
If they are now Garden's alive ? I believe ..
Company representative comment on September 17, 2012:
On Sep 17, 2012 1:41 PM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate you sharing your experience with our company.

Negative gvm11
GAMBRILLS, MD
April 25, 2014
I don't even know where to start. Horrible. I have ordered 3 plants, all arrived dead. Contacted the company, they sent me dead replacements twice.. The flowering crimson arrived with dry dead leaves twice. It is really hard to believe. I am not sure what is going on with this company but I have a feeling they are playing jokes on me. I will not bother to contact them again for a replacement. Please do not buy from this company, it is waste of money.
Positive u2dan
Winthrop, MA
April 24, 2014
I wrote a similar review for Michigan Bulb, apparently Gurney's and Spring Hill are related. Their websites look exactly the same but the offer slightly different plants so I am not too worried about the quality since I was happy with my Michigan Bulb order. The only thing I am not happy with are their dynamic price changes which can happen from one second to another.

For example, you get your $20 off coupon which sounds so amazing right? Well, watch the prices of your shopping cart increase a great deal, you end up paying MORE with this coupon than if you don't use one. I had a banana tree in my cart, which I found for $8.99. When I added the coupon, my price went up to 19.99 and the prices on the website changed drastically too.

I became fed up with the price increase so I left the site and ended up finding Gurney's on Amazon with MUCH cheaper prices. I clicked on the Gurneys link which brought me to their site with very low prices and flat rate shipping. I ended up ordering from this version of their site and overall I am happy with the price and service so far. Am awaiting delivery.
Negative susiebearden
Elgin, SC
April 21, 2014
PLEASE.....ALL AMERICANS.....NEVER BUY FROM GURNEY'S. THEY ARE USING OVERSEAS WORKERS FOR THEIR OVERFLOW CALL CENTER!!!! INDIA TO BE EXACT!!! WE NEED OUR MONEY TO PAY OUR AMERICANS. REFUSE TO DO BUSINESS WITH THEM OR ANY COMPANY THAT WILL NOT PAY AMERICANS. OUR UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IS SKY HIGH BECAUSE OF COMPANIES LIKE THIS!!!! BOYCOTT GURNEY'S SEED AND NURSERY....PLEASE PASS IT ON!!!!
Positive dremusicmd
April 16, 2014
I have ordered seeds, live plants, raspberries, apple trees, plums, peaches, multiple species of maples, pecans, english walnuts, and several ornamental trees. As well as strawberries and seed starting products from Gurneys in multiple orders this season. All have arrived in great condition. Trees and Raspberries are breaking dormancy, strawberries are doing extremely well. I have tomatoes over a foot high under the grow lights and the live plants are holding on despite this cold snap we are experiencing this week. (With a little help by me covering them). I will continue to order from them. Very pleased!
Positive Ncalvert2012
Arrowhead Springs, WY
April 15, 2014
I have shopped with Gurney's for years and have had nothing but good experiences with them. After reading the negative review from coonhound62301, I had to put it to the test, I had placed a fairly large order with them and decided that I too would actually count the seeds I had ordered to see if I got shorted too. Not only did I NOT get shorted, we stopped counting after the fourth packet if seeds was actually OVER the count stated on the package and in the catalog. I will continue shopping with Gurney's. They are an awesome company.
Positive neferset
Rockwood, TN (Zone 7b)
April 8, 2014
Posted on April 1, 2014, updated April 8, 2014
I got a coupon that gave me free shipping and half off anything in the store, so I thought, "Why not?" I know Gurney's reputation is far from the best, but I've ordered from places with poor reputations before and come out ok.

My fiance came home and said, "You only ordered 3 Nanking Cherries? You should have gotten at least nine!"

So, I placed another order and applied the same coupon which said it was good all weekend. The coupon applied and I sent the payment information, but the website didn't continue to the confirmation screen. A call to customer service assured me that they had received my order, though, and there was no need to place another one.

Later, my fiance says, "We could use a couple of fruit trees here and here," I asked him if Native Plums would be ok and he said yes, so I placed the third order with the same coupon and the same website issue, though the order was received.

A few days later, I got my confirmations and within about a week of ordering, I got a shipping notice for the first and third order. Much to my surprise, they were going to be delivered the next day by the time I tracked them.

The plants seemed well wrapped. The "Dwarf Venous Orange" which I understand is a Calamondin and not a sweet orange like they have it labeled, arrived in decent health, though it was a bit bug eaten. The first three Nankings were already showing green buds. The two plums are a still fast asleep. I'm hoping they are able to break dormancy, but if I look around, several of the trees we have in my yard haven't yet.

A week later I got the shipping confirmation for the next six Nanking Cherries, on the day they were to arrive this time, and they were much like the previous ones. I can't vouch for everything, but the Nanking Cherries and citrus certainly seem to arrive alive.
On April 8th, 2014, neferset added the following:

I can now vouch for the Native Plums. They are also beginning to wake up for spring. Everything seems to be alive and in good health.
Negative prunusdulcis
Beacon, NY
March 19, 2014
A gift order is shipping to my zone 5 garden NOW, expected to arrive March 20. Our last average frost date is MAY 15.

In contacting Gurney's my question as to why they were shipping out of season was NOT answered, it was ignored - completely unaddressed. Only the boilerplate "put your bare root plants in a bucket of water and plant within 10 days" information was regurgitated at me.

They guarantee their plants will arrive alive. I believe they will freeze on the truck and stay frozen on my porch (it was 2 degrees out there yesterday morning). Gurney's is giving UPS some exercise but that seems to be the only thing they will achieve.

We'll see how effective their plant "guarantee as long as you garden" turns out to be.

Will also be posting this complaint to other social media as a warning against doing business with Gurney's.
Positive rodlaver4
China Grove, NC
March 8, 2014
Posted on March 6, 2014, updated March 9, 2014
I received my Spring catalog from Gurneys in the mail. It had a coupon on the front for 100 dollars off a 200 dollar order. Every year when I get my taxes back I order the items for my garden from Gurneys and the coupons on the catalog always save me a lot of money. I've been doing this for years. Well this year I went on their site and got everything I needed for my garden. The total was 228 dollars. i then put my coupon code in, making my total 128 dollars. i completed the checkout process and I thought everything was fine. Until about a week or so later when I received my credit card statement showing I had been charged the full amount. I've always used their coupons and never had this problem. I contacted them about the situation and I've never hard back from them. If they don't do anything to fix the issue, I will not be doing business with them anymore. I don't have the money to get cheated out of 100
On March 8th, 2014, rodlaver4 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Gurney's finally returned my email and apologized for messing up on my order and refunded me the money they over charged. Thanks to their great customer service i will continue using Gurneys for my garden needs.
Negative coonhound62301
Palmyra, MO
March 4, 2014
Posted on February 25, 2014, updated March 4, 2014
I've purchased seed from Gurneys for a long time. For the last few years I've watched their seed prices go up and up along with the shipping charges. I've tolerated it though as I've always gotten my orders quickly and they've done well in my garden. This year however the shipping is getting so ridiculous that I almost didnt order from them. Unfortunately for me they are the only company I can find that sell a certain sweet corn seed that is a family favorite. I ordered 2 packets and, as always, within 10 days they arrived. These particular seeds were advertised in their catalog to contain 250 seeds and the seed packets themselves also said 250 seeds. When I counted them though I had 177 in one package and 182 in the other. 25% less seed than I bought + the outrageous shipping charges = one very unhappy customer. I emailed them to voice my complaint and the next day received a reply that they would resend 2 additional packets at no charge to me. This response was appreciated, and the only reason this review is neutral instead of negative, but the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. Afterall if I hadn't counted the seeds I never would have known I was shorted. Just seemed like a sneaky way for them to make more money. Regardless our family is just going to have to find a new favorite sweet corn variety. I just cant defend paying those ridiculous shipping charges any longer. I've researched alot of other seed companies this year and none of them even come close to what Gurneys charges for shipping. Its unfortunate for them....I've bought a couple hundred dollars worth of seed every year from them. I've recommended them to family and friends. Now I'll stop ordering and will recommend others do as well. There are just too many other good seed companies out there to deal with as opposed to putting up with this silliness.
On March 4th, 2014, coonhound62301 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I received the 2 additional packets that Gurneys sent to make up for the 2 that were short seeds. Both packets advertised 250 seeds. One packet contained 193 and the other contained 213. So in all 4 packages the packets were short an average of 60 seeds. That seems like a ridiculous amount to me.
Negative bnatural
Maysville, MO
February 24, 2014
I have been a Gurney's customer for over 35 years. For the most part have received good service and acceptable plants. I bought some additional acreage late in 2011. That winter I order a bunch (over $1000) or plants and trees. They arrived and were planted withing a few day. That summer it did not rain, but I watered faithfully. The plants did not do well and were very stressed, but I hoped my efforts were enough. That fall I was diagnosed with cancer. The next spring only a handful can back. I was busy fighting for my life, so although I watered as needed, I did not contact the company. Now I feel better and want to garden again. I have missed one full gardening year :-( I was looking through my catalog and filling out my order and saw this "We want you to be satisfied. If not happy with one of our products, we'll replace it, give you a credit or refund your money for the full amount of your purchase price. All nursery stock, trees and plants are guaranteed for as long as you garden. All seeds and merchandise are guaranteed for one full year". So with order in hand I called and explained (not really thinking they would do anything) how excited I was to be back to gardening and the sorrow of all the dead plants. The representative offered to issue a refund and suggested I wait to put in my order until after I receive the refund. I received a check for $16.41 and a letter stating "We will not be able to process any further orders you may have submitted".

So to summarize, if you even talk about their guarantee, they will not allow you to order from them again. Bad form Gurney's.
Negative Nannersone
San Diego, CA
February 17, 2014
Posted on February 14, 2014, updated February 17, 2014
Posted on February 1, 2014, updated February 14, 2014
Posted on January 14, 2014, updated February 1, 2014
So far I am not a happy camper. I ordered a number of packets of seeds on Dec 23. We are in zone 10, so I can plant and was hoping to plant the seeds for these plants (carrots, mainly) out immediately. I have strawberry plants ~blooming~ in the ground right now. My order status indicated it'd be here by Dec 27-29th, if memory serves. I got a few order updates, and finally one saying it shipped out Jan 7. Ok, my order from Territorial, placed after this one, has already arrived. I tried to check the tracking on the Gurney's order with UPS and was told UPS couldn't track that shipment, and that if it'd been more than 3 days since the item was shipped, to check with the vendor. I did, and was told it was shipped on Jan 7 and to give the package up to 10 business days (i.e., over two more weeks) to arrive. (They are using smart-post, where UPS hands off to the postal service. This service is notoriously bad.) I just chatted with UPS and was told that the tracking number Gurneys gave me was not a valid number. Thank goodness it was a small, test order. They have another 10 days to deliver my order or I'll be reporting them to my credit card company as a charge back for non-delivered items. Thankfully also, I contacted them in advance to ask if they could ship strawberry plants now, as we are needing to plant them NOW, as our others are in bloom. The response was a canned "we'll send them when it's right for your area." Obviously, reading comprehension isn't something in great supply at Gurneys. How sad, they just lost what could have been repeat business.
On February 1st, 2014, Nannersone added the following:

I received an email through Dave's Garden from the company on Jan 22 offering to "check on my order". I explained why I was not thrilled with the company - moving "ship" deadlines, lack of appropriate response from customer service, unwillingness to provide an accurate tracking number, etc. and it is now Feb1. I have heard nothing back from them at all. There are still two items that we have not received which they say they will ship in February. We could very easily plant them now, and have been waiting to do so since we ordered, but I can't seem to get past their canned "we ship according to zones". We're in zone 10, my strawberries are now fruiting, our other flowers are blooming--- I'm not waiting for the frost or cold to pass. And that seems to fall on deaf ears. If they do not have plants READY to ship, because they simply aren't grown enough to ship, that would be one thing - just say that. But to keep moving the "ship" dates back, especially on packets of seeds, was just.... unfathomable. There are plenty of other companies who ship promptly. Territorial is good, Heirloom, Renees, Seed Savers, and my favorite, Baker Creek. If our plants are not here by March 1, it'll be a charge-back.
On February 14th, 2014, Nannersone added the following:

Feb 3 Donna from Gurneys posted (using my actual name, rather than my screen name) saying we could expect our shipment of the two remaining plants in mid-February.

Today (Feb 14) I received an automated message from Gurneys that our plants would ship out mid to late March.

I have sent via DG private mail and my regular email account a request to cancel the remaining order, as it is now going to be at least two months late, and that we expect a refund to show on my credit card within 10 working days or I will be requesting a charge-back due to non-delivery of products ordered before Christmas.
On February 17th, 2014, Nannersone added the following:

Received an email from Gurneys:

"Thank you for your email. I apologize for the inconvenience. Your order is currently being processed, as soon as it shipped, we will be happy to issue you a refund. If we can be of further assistance, feel free to contact us."

As in, are they kidding? You're going to ship in mid-March and THEN issue me a refund? I'll be contacting the bank tomorrow.
Company representative comment on January 22, 2014:
On Jan 22, 2014 11:47 AM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problems with your order. I would be happy to check into this for you. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information.

Negative tinfly
January 27, 2014
After being sold out from the old s.d. co. Its not the same operation anymore. Very high prices and of all anti American OUT SOURCING JOBS in ordering dept to India.I will not do buz with them anymore. For all we know they may be doing china thing later.No thank you gurneys any more.There catalogs will go in the garbage.With other junk mail.
Negative mcfez
Rio Linda, CA
January 25, 2014
Posted on January 22, 2014, updated January 25, 2014
thenatomasfarm.blog
Our Gurney's Account Number: 50392550
Our Order Number: 40100319000
Order Date: 01/10/14

I spent an hour at this site.....liking what I was seeing...and adding to my shopping cart.

I found this site with an 50% coupon that was mailed to us ...attached to their catalog's front page.

We order vast amount of needs from the web. Cab Cadet parts to hundreds of fruits trees from Cooke Company. All have reasonable handling and postage fees. This "joint" Gurney's had the gall to charge us a straight up fee of $25.00 for "shipping" from In. to Ca. A two pound box for $25.00!!!! I'll add that it took nearly 9 days to get here.

My gripe is this.....I spent an hour of my life at their site....and then they rip me for $25.00 as I check out. That coupon....50% off......smells of a scam.

Yes...I did email the company that same day to let them know that a USPS or UPS charges only $5.00 and that I felt ripped off. THERE WAS ZERO RESPONSE.

Over priced on their so called postage (there was no handling fees expressed), 9 days to ship that should had been only 4 days. The package was not delayed due to the blizzards going on. Our tracking showed that the box was in a West Sacramento UPS for four days....our farm is 7 miles from their warehouse.

I strongly suggest NOT to use this company.
On January 25th, 2014, mcfez added the following:

1.25.2014 supplement commentary :

Well......we just opened a partial of our seeds that we ordered. The first three packages ( 3 of sweet pepper) were short! Now we paid dearly for these 20ct seed packages. Unbelievable!

Today we open the rest of the packages and I am not looking forward to the deceptions of this company.

Account Number: 50392550
Order Number: 40100319000
Order Date: 01/10/14

Out out a $100.00 + order.....I got three packages of sweet pepper of 20 seed count.

First pack - 18 seeds
Second pack - 18 seeds
Third pack - 15 seeds

Please advise on how we can get this corrected.
Positive badcat
BELLEVILLE, IL (Zone 6b)
January 10, 2014
I ordered plants last spring from here. they came in but I was busy remodeling our house. So I put the strawberries in the fridge and put the bushes and plants in pots on the back patio..for a couple of months, giving them some water when they started to wilt or when I remembered haha. I had ordered:

Gurney whopper strawberries
Joseph Climbing Rose
Bi Colored Butterfly Bush
Zebra Grass
..and some other stuff ($200 worth)
OH Grapes, 2 type of grapes Niagra and Concord

Strawberries are doing great, Zebra grass was 2 ft tall this fall..even after my husband mowed it over a couple times over the summer..

The Bicolor and Rosebush...I was prepared that they wouldnt be like the picture shown, but I was willing to try them. I really loved the colors. They were about 18"-24" when I got them. They are both 6 feet tall. The colors are correct on them! Made me happy! My Aunt had asked me if the roses had any smell, I got the first blooms..They smell just like my grandmas roses. They smell beautiful and look the same. Definately not disappointed.

Grape vines, I had grapes on them already after planting. I picked them off to promote growth..against my will haha. Im looking farward to what they do this year :). Showed up about 12-18", they are now approx 4 feet.

I really like this company and Im getting around my order for them this year.
Positive BiffLundgren
Midland, MI
December 7, 2013
I ordered Sundance and PixieCrunch apple trees in the spring and the trees were very healthy upon arrival. They both made it through the year in very good shape.

I've read Cathy's notes below and I just want to point out how important it is to let your customers know if you can fill their orders or not. This would have given her time to look elsewhere for her fall plants.

I wish she could have gotten her plants in the ground this fall. It is 'that' frustrating when you look forward getting what you ordered only to be told you won't get your plants.

My experience with Gurney's has been a very big positive for me...I've been waiting twenty years to get some land to plant a small vineyard and orchard. The PixieCrunch and Sundance were very solid beautiful trees with good reviews at http://www.orangepippin.com.
Negative CathysPeace
Phoenix, AZ
November 12, 2013
Posted on November 12, 2013, updated November 12, 2013
NEGATIVE TO THE MAX!
My Names Cathy Guzman! I am furious at Gurneys. I honestly think they shouldn't have a website up. I was excited at first, always wanted to order from them but now I see how much [expletive deleted] they tell you. I waited two ina half months for my plants ( WHICH THEY SAID THEY HAVE AND ARE IN STOCK) Its ridiculous. Obviously they don't care about your garden blooms as much as you do.

Their customer service lies to you a [expletive deleted] load! They will always tell you.." You'll get what you ordered on the 6 or 10 of November." Never showed, so I called them!" I asked when will they be coming...I need them. They said " Oh, Nov 28!" WOW ( SWITCHED DATES ON ME!!!!" I have to wait till the end of the month after I been waiting for almost 3 months! Complete [expletive deleted]. Now I have to sound likea [expletive deleted] bcuz they wont take me seriously if I dont. ITS CALLED RESPECT, They dont have it for the customers! Just Fake comments.

Please do not order from them no matter what. They treat you like nothing and what your paying for nothing!! I Love my flowers and they do not give you what you paid for. That company only cares for getting their payment! I WILL NEVER BE ORDERING FROM THEM AGAIN!!! AND YOU SHOULDN'T EITHER. I don't want anybody to be bummed as I was when I recieved my plants. =( Packaging is so bad too! Now I have to call and [expletive deleted] at them. Yes it makes me look bad, but not as bad as their company does! I deserve to get what I paid for to garden.

P.S. I thought some people on here were over exaggerating, but now I see what they ment by, DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM B/C OF MY BAD EXPERIENCE! I totally agree.

GURNEYS Can say sorry but whats the use. They still [expletive deleted] me for my money. And all I wanted were flowers and vegetables. Couldnt even give me what they sponser on their website. SO I HAVE NOTHING POSITIVE TO SAY ABOUT GURNEYS!!!! AT ALL!
Cathrine Guzman (Phoenix AZ)
On November 12th, 2013, CathysPeace added the following:

I just spoke with them, they told me I wont be getting my RED ONIONS, AND YELLOW ONIONS. They said last day for fall shipment was friday! Wow, nobody told me that! THEY NEED TO FIX THEIR WEBSITE INSTEAD OF [expletive deleted] EACH CUSTOMER SAYING THEY HAVE A PLANT THAT ARE READY TO BE SHIPPED. COMPLETE BULLSHIT I TELL YOU. I SPOKE TO THE MANAGER TOO AND TOLD HER THEY NEED TO TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY. She said, we can refund you your money. [expletive deleted] NO, I WANT WHAT I PAID FOR DONT YOU UNDERSTAND.

SO HOPEFULLY THE WILL FIX UP THEIR WEBSITE OR CAN JUST GIVEA [expletive deleted] LESS AND TAKE IT OFF THE INTERNET. US GARDENERS DON'T LIKE TO BE [expletive deleted] ABOUT OUR FLOWERS. Especially say OH WE HAVE THEM IN GREAT CONDITION AND THEY ARE READY TO SHIP ASAP.

WHOEVER WORKS WITH SHIPMENT IS HORRIBLE AT IT. WHOEVER WORKS HERE MUST HATE IT BCUZ SHES LIKE ONE FAKE CUSTOMER SERVICE WHO
DOESNT CARE ABOUT YOUR BLOOMS
AS MUCH AS WE DO.

LAZY STAFF AND SLOW MANAGER. CANT HANDLE THIS WEBSITE & BUSINESS AT ALL. Im just speaking the truth...because it really needs to be heard instead of through the scumbags that lie about this website and growing their plants on their own.
On Nov 15, 2013 2:44 PM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the problems you had with your order. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information.

Positive Kvrotsos
Montclair, NJ
November 7, 2013
Like other people writing reviews here, we were surprised that the dwarf peach tree we ordered arrived as a 4-foot, thumb-thick "twig" with a few roots. We kept faith, though, and planted it as directed. The first year, it amazed us as it thrived and grew. By year two, it bore fruit. Over the past two years (years 3 & 4), it survived an October blizzard and two hurricanes, and it bears more bounteous, delicious peaches every summer. Give twigs a chance! Our tree is everything the Gurney's catalogue promised, and the peaches are truly the best we have ever tasted.
On Nov 15, 2013 4:37 PM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback, enjoy those peaches.

Positive chefearly
Visalia, CA
October 16, 2013
I am a Master Gardener in central California. My focus is School Gardens. There are over 50 school gardens in our area, all dependent on donations and grants for sustainability of their gardens. Last month, I wrote to over 35 seed companies asking for seed donations from their 2013 seed collection. I also said that I would pay shipping costs if need be. Well, to my delight, I received a BIG box of seeds soon to be out of date from Gurney Seeds. And they did not ask me to pay anything! Now I have the pleasant task of distributing these packets of seeds to school gardens for their upcoming plantings!! Gurney's is an awesome partner in education. Thank you!
On Nov 15, 2013 4:39 PM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback, so happy we could help.

Negative Giacomo45
Glen Ridge, NJ
October 7, 2013
It is clear that Gurney's is an Online Fulfillment company with perhaps overseas customer service reps. ALL orders are delayed. All orders are misrepresented. Like others, I ordered mid-sized trees and shrubs and received saplings and seedlings of poor vitality. I am guessing that they out source orders to foreign and domestic wholesalers. They actually charge your credit card months after taking the order just before they ship and without any notice. I had to force them to ship as their understanding of planting time is bogus and their business model is dubious.
Company representative comment on October 8, 2013:
On Oct 8, 2013 11:48 AM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

We appreciate you letting us know and apologize for any inconvenience. We so ship according to the USDA and try to make sure our orders ship on time. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information.

Negative ascorbate
Kingsville, MD
October 3, 2013
Same experience as most of the other negative reviews here... twigs (not trees) half their advertised size that arrived dead or near dead which didn't flourish!
Company representative comment on October 8, 2013:
On Oct 8, 2013 11:42 AM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

We appreciate you letting us know and we will be happy to reship to you. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information.

Negative elfjam
Belmont, CA
July 11, 2013
In April 2013 I ordered 20 roots of asparagus from Gurney's, Jersey Supreme Giant Grade at a cost of $49, supposed to be extra-large at least 2 year roots all-male hybrid. Although all were planted in a prepared raised bed in the same way on the same day, they emerged weeks apart, and appeared to be at least three distinct varieties. Most plants are quite small and frail, some are three times larger and huge - my heart sank when a third of the plants began flowering and producing berries, obviously female plants. At least two different kinds of berries! I don't know what plants I have, but they are obviously not the extra-large all-male hybrid asparagus roots I ordered. Anyone who plants asparagus knows that this is a long term investment, with significant prep and devotion. I called Gurney's Customer Service and was connected to a very pleasant man in India at a call center who had no idea what I was talking about. He offered to mail me a company credit voucher after confirming what I had ordered ...this has not been a satisfying response to an extremely maddening and frustrating experience given all of the effort I have put into this asparagus bed this year. I ordered from Gurney's because I believed them to be trustworthy. Now I realize they are not reputable and I recommend that NO ONE order from them. I plan to pull out my entire bed of mystery asparagus and try again next year with roots from a more dependable source, delaying any harvest now for another entire season at least.
Company representative comment on July 12, 2013:
On Jul 12, 2013 3:25 PM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

I apologize you were sent the wrong asparagus. I would be happy to reship the correct asparagus to you. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and take care of this.

Negative iamaguna
Grand Rapids, MI
July 3, 2013
Posted on May 23, 2013, updated July 3, 2013
Posted on May 20, 2013, updated May 23, 2013
I am a patient gardener. I bought a Primrose Lilac from Gurneys about 8 years ago. I waited 4 years for it to bloom and instead of yellow flowers, I got light purple! So they sent me a replacement in 2009. Again, I have waited 4 years and again it has finally bloomed and again it is light purple!
At this point I am wondering if they actually have yellow lilacs. When I went to their website to post a negative review, it never showed up! So I am posting here to warn people Buyer Beware! The other reviews about the lilac only talk about a healthy looking plant that is growing well, none mention how lovely the flowers look and smell. [I wonder if any one actually has a blooming yellow lilac and if so, can I get a sucker off of it? :) ]
I called the company to complain last week on Wednesday and was told that they could see that I was shipped a replacement in 2009, but since they did not have record of the orginal order, they could not ship me a new one!
I asked them why they couldn't follow the train of logic that if I was shipped a replacement, there had to have been an orignal order. I was told that I would get a telephone call within 24 hours from someone who could resolve the problem. Now it's Monday and I finally called them myself.
Ending up in the same conversation loop with maybe the same person and finally demanded to talk to someone else.
He said he would send me a refund and asked me how much I paid for the bush 8 years ago. I don't know, so I guess he is going to send me a check for the current price of the bush. Though after reading all these reviews, I can't say I have a lot of confidence in this company.

On May 23rd, 2013, iamaguna added the following:

Dealing with this so called customer service company is so full of redundancy, yet I still feel no confidence in receiving a refund check. After making the phone call on Monday and being promised the refund check, I thought I was done wasting my time talking to these people.
Then yesterday, I get a phone call from a woman who says she was calling to resolve my problem. Oddly, she identified herself as being with Spring Hill in the conversation, so are they the same company? I told her how ridiculous this whole situation is and mentioned that even though I placed an order last year and lost everything due to the drought, I did not call to make a claim on that order.
That would have given her an opportunity to truly be a customer service person and encourage me to get new products shipped, since everything is supposed to be guaranteed.
I did not make a claim on that order because, I have lost confidence in the company and their products and do not want to go through all the labor of replanting everything, when I am not convinced they are selling good stock. Also it is just too exasperating to deal with them on a claim.
I also got an email here from Donna in customer service who asked me to give her my account information so she could take care of the problem with the lilac.
Why would I have to go through her now when I was already promised a chack was being sent? Also, why do I get a response when I post on this website, but my negative review that I tried to put on their own website never was posted and I was never contacted about it?
I have worked in customer service and was trained to listen to the customer and to repeat what they stated the problem was and even go so far as to ask them what we could do to make them have a better experience. I didn't find any professional protocols in the conversation that I recognized as being good practices in dealing with a customer. If I was taking the call, I would have bent over backwards to try to retain my customer, including making the suggestion that last years order could be reshipped. As it stands now, I will never order from them again.
On July 3rd, 2013, iamaguna added the following:

Now it's July 3rd and still no refund!
Company representative comment on May 21, 2013:
On May 21, 2013 1:27 PM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your post. I apologize for the problem with your lilac. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and take care of this for you.

Negative yanksnick
Hoboken, NJ
June 27, 2013
I ordered Blueberry Chippewa and Dwarf Northsky Blueberry on April 10. The confirmation email I received said the plants would come between 4/24 - 5/15. If I would have known when I placed my order that I might not receive my plants for over a month, I never would have ordered them...I would have bought them locally.

THEN, the delivery window was pushed back 5/15 - 6/5.

THEN, 5/19 - 6/09.

THEN, 6/5 - 6/26.

It is now over two months since I placed my order, and I have no blueberries.

When I checked the order status today, it says the Blueberry Chippewa was cancelled and the Northsky delivered back on May 11!!

I never received any blueberries from them. I received some dead mixed columbines on May 11 that were part of a free promotion. I WILL NEVER use Gurney's again....ever.

Company representative comment on June 28, 2013:
On Jun 28, 2013 9:55 AM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

I apologize for the problems you had with your order. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and take care of this for you.

Positive Hoosierguy1986
Fort Wayne, IN
June 24, 2013
See a lot of negative reviews and maybe I am lucky. I had an email offer for a gold rush apple tree for around 5 bucks that I couldn't pass up. The tree shipped in excellent condition with massive roots and the trunk as big around as my thumb. Shipped early in the year well before I had time to get it in the ground so I stuck it in my wife's flower pot an kept it watered few weeks later things warmed up in Indiana and I planted it in the ground. Few more weeks and everything came to life. Awesome to see! Figured I would give credit where it's due. I got an awesome price and a really healthy tree!
Company representative comment on June 25, 2013:
On Jun 25, 2013 9:21 AM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you very much for your review about our company and our products. Enjoy your tree!

Negative WorkNmygarden
Green River, WY
June 14, 2013
I wish I would have read customer reviews before ordering live plants from Gurney's. I planned my garden and ordered heirloom seeds and plants from gurney's in February of 2013. I got the seeds but had to wait for the plants. My experience was much like others that have posted in the reviews. My heirloom tomatoes came later that the latest date on the delivery table and when they came, they were pretty much dead. Wilted leaves, yellow... and what's worse is that my over 12" plants were packed bent over in a box less than half they're height. Needless to say, the branches and stocks were broken. I was so discouraged, and disappointed. I had saved space in my garden anxiously waiting for these heirloom tomatoes. In calling customer service and explaining, they said this is not the norm, which I see is not true by other reviews, but they kindly granted me reimbursement on my credit card, as they were out of stock on those tomatoes and could not replace them. Now, mid-June, I am sure that I will not be able to find the same heirloom plants that I had ordered from Gurney's. We live in a rural area and nurseries run out of tomatoes by the end of May, and usually don't carry heirloom plants. I will never order from Gurney's again.
Company representative comment on June 18, 2013:
On Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

We appreciate you taking the time to post. I apologize for the problems you had with the plants. I will have one of our customer service representatives contact you for your account information.

Negative Bigmamascoop
Upton, MA
June 11, 2013
I ordered compost pail bags and filters and 9 tomato plants from gurneys on May 1 2013. The bags and filters arrived 2-3 days later but not the plants. The order status guide listed I would get the plants in between 5/18 and 06/08. This order status was updated 4 times by email from gurneys. I was later told by a rep that 3 of the 9 plants were out of stock,I was disappointed but figured at least I'll get 6 plants. Well after waiting and waiting and calling and calling finally the 6 plants arrived on 06/11/13. But they were all long, leggy, stems snapped, had bugs in them, were tangled in the box AND the shipping list included in the box had what appeared to be blood on it. I took pictures and called gurneys I had to speak to 3 people Cindy,Sonia and Tracy in order to get a refund. Tracy then told me they were having trouble with the tomato supplier this year. I will NEVER again waste my time and money on this company. They could have told me when I first inquired that they had problems with the supplier on tomatoes this year and maybe I could have done business elsewhere. Poor customer service.
Company representative comment on June 14, 2013:
On Jun 14, 2013 11:04 AM, Gurney's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problems you had. I apologize for all the inconvenience. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information.