The scoop on 'S&W Greenhouse'

S&W Greenhouse

White House, Tennessee 37188 (United States)

Visit S&W Greenhouse at:

» Like them on Facebook

Comments:

Positive icebird28
Coppell, TX (Zone 8a)
February 21, 2014
This is my second order from SW. All arrived moist in a plastic bag with wet newspaper and ready to be dunked for 24 hours. All 5 roses, have at least 5 healthy canes with multiple branches starting to grow. I like this company for their great rose selection, cheap shipping and cheap prices. Shipping fast to Texas.

Thanks again SW.
Positive jrharding
May 20, 2013
We are fortunate to live in Middle Tennessee which allows us to visit S & W Greenhouse each spring to buy roses. We always enjoy our visit, becasue not only do we get some great roses we always learn something new from Jeff Smith that helps us take better care of our roses. Even though it is about a one hour drive away it is worth the trip.
Positive Doughster4
Bowleys Quarters, MD
March 2, 2013
After moving 2 years ago I started rebuilding my rose garden last year. Half of the new bushes came from a company that I will not mention here because I failed to do the proper research. The roses either failed miserably and/or were mislabled. Last Fall I found S & W Greenhouse's website and was inpressed with the selection. I placed my preorder and was informed in late winter about pending shipment. There was a slight problem processing my payment information and they immediately contacted me by phone and email. The bareroot roses arrived on my doorstep 2 days later. Packed great, moist, fantastic root systems and plump fat canes with breaking buds. I am excited AND impressed. How nice to experience such great customer service in this day of age.
Positive bluebuster77
Belmont, CA
February 27, 2013
Not 100% perfection, last bare root roses received for this season but it's a promise date since I placed order. Roses are in good shape, moistened and properly packaged. Not all are #1 grade roots, one of mine has two strong canes and one tiny cane and other was in great shape. But I do understand that the roses I ordered were brand new 2014 roses, so acceptable. Unlike other nurseries, they scheduled to shipped on Monday and arrived on Friday to avoid weekend delay, so I can plant them on weekend. BIG THANKS!
Positive Scarlett2
Shreveport, LA
February 25, 2013
What a wonderful source for roses! Prices were very reasonable for both plants and postage, and the packing was among the best I have ever had for bare-root roses. The roots were moist, covered with damp pieces of newspaper, then completely wrapped in plastic sheeting.....and no sign of mold anywhere. The roses themselves were large, number 1 grade plants, sure to please any rose lover. This will be my go-to rose nursery in the future.
Positive divvajacko
Hinckley, OH (Zone 6a)
April 30, 2011
This is my first order with S&W Greenhouses. I ordered Honey Dijon, Night Owl and Red Meidiland. So far so good. Now, they do ship everything at the same time, February or early March which is a problem here but I managed it by potting this roses (they ship bare root). They are still a bit slow coming out of dormancy but our spring here is late. They are still green so I'm anticipating a slow breakout. The quality is fine but the shipping in February or March is a problem for me so I don't think I'd order again.
Positive JBeard
Lewiston, ID
March 31, 2011
I ordered 6 bareroot roses. The quality of plant was wonderful. They are in the ground and have broken dormancy. The shipping is very reasonable.
Positive monniemon
Lansdale, PA
March 14, 2011
I ordered 11 bareroot roses from S&W Greenhouse, i received the order March 9th. The roses were in very good condition. Large and healthy. I did contact the company because i was concerned about the early delivery,( iam in zone 6 and it was not time to plant), the company emailed me back to tell me to put them in plant pots until planting. So i did appreciate the time they took to help solve my problem. I also liked the fact that they had a special on delivery, it was only $5 for the order no matter how many roses you purchase.
Positive lenoirfoothills
Lenoir, NC
March 5, 2011
Ordered 7 bare root roses in November 2010 - Order arrived yesterday, March 4, 2011 - Seven roses, all in excellent condition. This was my fifth or sixth order from S&W, all of the bare root roses they have sent over the years have been beautiful. It is a pleasure to shop the website and look at all the offerings. S&W Greenhouse is so cut & dry...Order on-line, they send an immediate confirmation. No Credit Card charges until the order ships (great for avoiding arguments over: Ordering more roses!) Couple weeks before shipment, e-mail sent they are preparing your order - End of February, one more e-mail in regards to ordered shipped with a tracking number - SIMPLE! It has been this way for years. Thank you so much & my sincerest hopes for your continued success -
Positive Redrocky
Clarkston, WA
October 17, 2010
WOW! Great company; so happy with large, healthy bare root rose plants; the best from any place I've ordered from and grew better than the container roses I bought locally-You have my business! It is October and they are still covered in blooms!
Positive deereyebrow
Black Hawk, SD
July 24, 2010
I ordered 3 bare root roses from them, and they all arrived big and healthy. I have them grown in large pots, and they are the strongest and bloomed the ealiest of all my potted roses. This nursery has some very good roses that I can hardly find elsewhere. Will not hesitate ordering from them again.
Neutral lilaclily
Lombard, IL (Zone 5a)
July 2, 2010
Posted on May 31, 2005, updated July 2, 2010
Ordered 3, 3 gallon roses last year. 2 came with black spot and despite my best effort, dropped 75% of their leaves within weeks. I dealt with that. 2 didn't flower at all, I dealt with that. The one that did bloom, bloomed in an odd color, I dealt with that. Then it didn't come back this year, I hardly ever lose roses to winter (just lucky I guess). It was the ONLY rose I lost this year.

The roses were at a great price and one was High Hopes, my husband's favorite. The two survivors are growing nicely although one looks again like it probably won't bloom this year (Zeffy Drouhin), but I understand that is common. The only reason I am giving them a neutral is due to the two being covered in BS and then the one blooming an odd color. Other than that, I can't blame them for losing one to winter.
On July 2nd, 2010, lilaclily added the following:

Well, it took 5 years but Zephirine Drouhin finally bloomed. FINALLY.

High Hopes did not survive the winter of my initial review and rating. So one rose out of three, and five years to bloom.
Positive TexasLise
Navasota, TX
April 29, 2010
I ordered in 2009 for the first time and was extremely pleased with the prices on great rose bushes. The bushes look great this year and I get many compliments on them. My only problems with them is having one shipping date (late for my area) and having to order online with a credit card.
Positive growingroses
Taylorsville, KY
September 12, 2009
I have just ordered 10 more hybrid tea roses for 2010 from S&W Greenhouse. Every bareroot rose that I have gotten from them (about 25) for the last two seasons has been superior and each has grown and bloomed beautifully. I won't get a rose from any other company.
Positive splash763
West Columbia, SC
April 8, 2009
Positives
Well Packaged
Website was easy to order from and navigate.

Negatives
Not shipping container roses due to rising fuel costs.

Other Comments
Sell grafted bare root roses. This is not a negative as it is more a matter of preference.

Overall
All the roses that I purchased from S&W have broken dormancy and are doing well.
They sold me quality plants that I am happy with overall. Plants were normal size for grafted bare root plants.
Positive bishopofbattle
Lawrenceville, GA (Zone 8a)
April 4, 2009
I ordered Shockwave and Rock & Roll, they arrived in late February,
huge roses, and they are both growing very well..........so far, so good!

Keep it up S&W
Positive babybluesntn
Hendersonville, TN (Zone 7b)
April 1, 2009
I live close enough to S & W to drive over & pick up my roses or perennials. I must say Jeff and his family have a top notch operation. They are very down-to-earth, good people and are very accomodating to their customers.

I have bought many roses from them, and the roses are always in great condition, large and healthy. He keeps his inventory current by adding many new cultivars each year. Yesterday I went over there to peruse what he had left for this year that he hadn't already shipped out. His mom told me he had been doing this since he was 18...for 25 years.

You can buy with confidence from S & W. They are no longer shipping containerized roses, only bareroot, effective with the 2009 season.
Positive davis1676
Disputanta, VA (Zone 7a)
March 4, 2009
I recently received a huge bare root order from these folks. The roses I received were awesome! Large, healthy canes & root systems. Great service start to finish, friendly & helpful, they let me pay in installments before the delivery date, to ease up on credit card shock! Out of 22 roses ordered, EVERY one exceeded my expectation. Great selection, wonderful customer service, I'm thrilled!
Positive bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA (Zone 7a)
February 27, 2009
I ordered from S & W in early Jan 2009. They were having a special on shipping charges which was very nice, but I ordered because they where suggested by a trusted member of Dave's Garden and that the selection and site was wonderful. Well the roses arrived today, and they are better than any I have ever received on a mail order. Huge. I am beyond pleased. I will post a picture in the rose forum of them. Patti
Positive mcook
Madison, AL (Zone 7a)
January 18, 2008
I bought 3 rose bushes in May 2007. All 3 were large, healthy, flowering bushes. They were packaged well, and arrived when promised. I liked them so well, my father gave me two more bushes for a Christmas present. I am excited to receive their delivery in the spring!
Positive Mary1NYS
Sherrill, NY (Zone 5a)
May 5, 2007
I received 3 3 gallon potted roses that are in great condition! The packaging is done so well that not a leaf was out of place. The plants had no problems at all..look great! I will oder from them again!
Positive Dave_intheAtl
Alpharetta, GA
January 26, 2007
This is a great company.
The owner is honest and reputatable.
I've ordered from others but these roses are large and disease free. We live in the Atlanta area and the "Opening Night" is spectacular! I can't wait for April 07 and the new Peace, Hot Cocoa, and Livin Easy to make our relatives, friends, and neighbors jealous.

I'm a CDC (THE Centers for Disease Control & Prevention) employee and my fellow employees are literally and physically 'green with envy'.
Positive TickTock
Memphis, TN
May 19, 2006
A++++++++++++++ I LOVE THIS COMPANY!!!! After receiving 2 twigs (seedlings it turns out) from Heirloom I ordered from this company and received 2 BIG FULL HEALTHY potted roses. I was thrilled! The packaging was so big I couldn't figure out what they were until I saw the label. Beautifully packaged. Nice and secure. Thank you again and again for sending such lovely roses! They are doing just fine! I will definately order again!
Positive daintybess38
Utica, MI
May 23, 2005
My experience with S&W Greenhouse has been wonderful. I have been ordering from them for 3-years already. They are fast, the plants arrive packed well in bloom most of the time, and I always receive a beautiful healthy plant. I will continue to do business with them in the future. Daintybess
Positive Gindee77
Hampton, IL (Zone 5a)
May 14, 2005
I ordered 4 bareroot roses from S&W and they all had large canes, great roots and were very healthy looking. However, one of them didn't break dormancy and so I wrote to the company and told them. In just a few days I found a huge box on my doorstep. It was a gorgeous potted version of the same rose (they were out of bareroots to replace with). I felt they went above and beyond in dealing with my problem. I was so pleased and recommend this company highly! They take care of their customers!
Positive Gully
Ellicott City, MD
April 29, 2005
This is my third year ordering from S & W Greenhouse. I have ordered close to 25 roses from them (all potted ones) and every one of them with the exception of one has thrived in my garden. The one that didn't survive was the result of a rough winter, not the fault of the company.
All come very well packaged, most are in bloom when they arrive and they do well from planting through the summer and come back beautifully the next year. The prices can't be beat and I find for what you are getting the shipping is perfectly reasonable.
I do my ordering in the fall for the harder to find roses and then pick up extras during their marvelous sales. I don't shop anywhere else now for roses.
Positive beckron
Port Orange, FL
April 11, 2005
I've ordered from S&W three years in a row and I've never been disappointed, just wowed. The container roses are huge, bigger than at the garden centers, and healthy packed to withstand just about anything and now they have Fortuniana. By the way the minis are full grown not small and are just what I needed in my Florida garden.

Positive CathysFlaRoses
Lake Worth, FL
March 7, 2005
My order arrived in a timely manner. Customer support was very helpful. I ordered a China doll Rose bush, it arrived with buds all over it packaged great. I cant wait to recieve my next order!!!
Positive MaryCorbett
Niceville, FL (Zone 8b)
September 9, 2004
I have been ordering roses from this company for 3 years now. They excel in every way...attentive and caring customer service, gorgeous and healthy roses, and the best method of shipping of any company I have ever dealt with! I have ordered both bareroot and potted roses and had no problems whatsoever, and I live in NW Florida where the summers are known for heat and humidity.
Positive rascal6381
August 8, 2004
At the end of season sale, I ordered 3 separate times. Each order was shipped and received within a week. I was truly amazed at the speed of service and the quality of the roses. They far surpassed the quality of roses I had seen at the local nurseries. I am impatiently waiting till September when I can begin ordering from them again. They are truly my favorite rose source at this time.
Positive southerndawn
Buford, GA
July 24, 2004
I ordered 3 potted roses from their clearance sale. Rouge Royale, Honey Perfume, and Charles Aznavour came extremely well packed- so much so that it took a while to get them out of the shipping boxes. The roses were all huge, and one was even in bloom. I'm extremely pleased and would order from them again.
Positive Cynthiascat
Catonsville, MD
July 1, 2004
Very pleased. I wish I had found this company earlier in the season. At this time of year they're having clearance on remaining stock, but even that limited inventory included very nice selections. Can't wait to see entire list next spring! Ordered on Saturday, and arrived on Wednesday. Yes, very large, healthy roses and perfectly packaged. Even with a good sized depression (from shipping) on one side of a box, there was absolutely no damage to the contents. These roses can go right into the garden this week-end. I want to comment on the shipping as someone earlier quoted very high rates. My reaction is the opposite! For 3 huge roses in 3 separate boxes that were almost 3 feet high, the shipping was only $18.72.
Positive belle_michele
Shakopee, MN
June 24, 2004
Came home today to find two DA's The Squire roses waiting for me... I could actually smell one of them blooming from inside the box as I walked up the sidewalk!!!! What INCREDIBLY HEALTHY and GORGEOUS ROSES!!!! The packaging was amazing-these potted roses looked like I just picked them out at a local nursery-very green, very LARGE, healthy, not even a leaf was damaged--both of them budded and one with a full bloom. Checked the plants out, no sign of any mold or fungus, aphids or other creepy-crawlies nor any signs of RMV. And these were end of the season SALE roses!!!! These roses far and away exceeded my hopes or expectations-they are truly magnificant!!!!
I also appreciate the emails they send acknowledging my order and also letting me know when it would ship and providing full tracking information for my order while in transit.
My only regret is that I didn't discover S&W's wonderful roses and extraordinary packaging and shipping sooner!!!
I WILL be ordering LOTS of ROSES from these people!!!!!
Wonderful-Wonderful ROSES!!!!
Many Thanks, S&W !!!!!
Positive msanjelpie
Meridian, ID
June 17, 2004
Have placed 3 orders. first one was for a potted rose - total with outrageous shipping for one rose was $41.49. However the rose was packaged VERY well.

Planted rose and it sat and did nothing all year. This year it has managed to produce 1 bloom, and still remains the same height. I believe it has RMV, however I will leave it for now until I decide what to replace it with...

2nd and 3rd order were for bareroots... Arrived in a timely manner. All five were potted and all five have bloomed and grown very nicely.

Would order bareroots from them again...

DECOBUG
Positive heidibent
Southlake, TX (Zone 8a)
June 11, 2004
Order 3 3 gallon. They were all in perfect shape. One was full of buds and the 2 other were filled were buds.
Positive moyesii
Long Island, NY (Zone 6b)
May 29, 2004
I ordered 8 3-gallon potted roses from S&W Greenhouse. They arrived in mid-spring (right on schedule) in perfect condition. Looking at them, you would think I had gone to the store and picked them up myself. I have been watching their progress in my garden for a few weeks now, and they have already grown tremendously. Being 3-gallon potted roses, they are among the biggest rose bushes you can get anywhere. All the roses were spotless -- clean foliage and many healthy canes. Compared to bareroots and the smaller potted plants I've grown from other places, my S&W's roses have not had any setbacks at all. The first year in the garden is critical for a rose, and at the rate these bushes have been growing, I am not worried about them at all. I highly recommend S&W's potted roses for cold-zone gardeners (zone 6 and below, or areas with shorter growing seasons) and for beginner rose gardeners (bareroots can be frustrating sometimes). These will be the quickest and easiest roses to get established in your garden.

A note about their packaging: As other have said, it is VERY well-done. Almost too good, actually. Opening the boxes and getting to the roses is about as easy as trying to break into Fort Knox! But I understand that all this is necessary in order to ship those huge roses safely. And indeed not a leaf or petal was out of place.
Positive angel_jim
May 29, 2004
Order arrived 3 days after placing order online. Beautiful looking roses. One was damaged by ups (big surprise). S&W said they would send out new bush at no cost to me. Very nice people, would order from them again.
On June 8th, 2004, angel_jim added the following:

Replacement arrived on time and in perfect condition. Couldn't be any happier with S&W. Great company.
Positive floralover
October 1, 2003
So far very good. I ordered 3 potted roses from them in the middle of August. I must confess I had never ordered potted roses before and I told myself that I must be out of my mind to order roses in the hottest month of the summer.
The roses arrived 2 or 3 days later. The packing was unbelievably good. It took me almost an hour to unpack the roses that were in absolutely perfect shape, one blooming but all three had all their leaves fresh, green and spotless. We planted them within days and all do extremely well, flowering/ budding up like crazy.
I am a very satisfied customer of S&W Greenhouses so far. I already placed an order with them for several bare root roses coming in next February. I am hoping that their bare roots will be just as good as their potted roses are.
On October 12th, 2004, floralover added the following:
I posted a very positive comment on this company based on my experience with the potted roses I received from them. I also indicated that I already placed a bigger order with them for bareroots in the next season. The bare roots arrived in late February and they were disappointing - all roses had sign of disease, namely canker. I called the owner and requested replacements. He did not believe that there was any problem with his plants, requested to return the shipment for inspection (that I was ready to do). However, he agreed to send me a second shipment. Unfortunately the roses in second shipment were not any better, in some cases were much worse. I returned this shipment to him as well.
Although I got reimbursed for the roses, it was not a pleasant experience.
Company representative comment on October 18, 2004:
We at S & W Greenhouse, Inc. sincerely regret that we were unable to satisfy this customer. We first tried by replacing the entire order with new roses, then when the customer was still not satisfied, we refunded 100% of their money.

The claims that the plants were diseased are false.

We requested that both shipments of plants be returned to us at our expense for evaluation & to eliminate any he said - she said discrepancies. The services of an independent diagnostic laboratory was retained to prove or disprove the accusations.
The first of those shipments was sent to The University of Tennessee Agricultural Extension Service, located at The Ellington Agricultural Center in Nashville, Tennessee for evaluation by a plant pathologist.

The results of those tests are as follows and quoted from the report.

"Some mechanical or environmentally caused injury apparent in the graft union area, but no disease or insect activity could be found. Injuries were well calloused over and healing mostly completed. These injuries are cosmetic. The overall health of the plants are excellent."

The report was signed by Tom Stebbins & David Cook on 3-10-04

The mechanical injury mentioned above was caused from normal pruning during the field growing process in California.

A copy of this report has been made available for public viewing on our web site at the following address:

Additionally, the original copy of this report shall be made available for viewing, in person at our location to anyone requesting to see it.

The roses mentioned herein were donated to the Ellington Agricultural Center after the results of the evaluation and are alive and performing well in their garden.

Jeff Smith,
S & W Greenhouse, Inc.
Positive DirtDabber
July 19, 2003
I have dealt with S&W Greenhouse buying both bareroot and potted plants for two years now. I have bought both mail order and been to the greenhouse and picked up roses personally. I have purchased more than 50 roses from them in the past two years and every one has been healthy.
Their plants are absolutely stunning and the customer service cant be beat. Every time I have ever had a question about a plant or an order Jeff Smith has been knowledgeable, curteous and prompt in his replies to both emails and phone calls.
I also appreciate his knowledge of the different needs of people in different regions of the country and he is always helpful in giving correct planting times for each region. Even when I have harmed a rose thru my own lack of knowledge or carelessness he has always given great advice on how to save the rose.
I would highly recommend S&W to anyone who wants huge healthy happy potted roses and the highest grade bareroots you can find.
Positive LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA (Zone 8b)
June 21, 2003
In June, I placed an online order for a 36-inch rose tree. (When hardly anyone else was still shipping roses, this company could).

Four days after I placed the order, the rose tree was delivered.

It was the BIGGEST rose tree I have EVER seen, almost as tall as me, and was leafy and healthy. There were even some blooms.

Given the tremendous selection, the speed of delivery, and the size and health of the plants, S&W will DEFINITELY get all of my business when ordering roses. In fact, I have just placed another order with them.

I am VERY pleased with this company.

On June 27th, 2003, LouisianaSweetPea added the following:

Received another order from S&W, a full, bushy, HUGE 'Queen Elizabeth' rose bush, again, delivered just four days after placing the online order. This potted rose was just $15.99 and was so tall it came up to my chest. Superior packaging and shipping. This company is GREAT.
On April 16th, 2004, LouisianaSweetPea added the following:

Just received my order for 2004 -- Another rose tree and five rose bushes. All of the roses are large, bushy, healthy, and some are blooming right out of the box. These look healthier and more vigorous than those available locally! As always, well-packaged. Really, really pleased with this company and their roses!