The scoop on 'Henry Field's Seed & Nursery'

Henry Field's Seed & Nursery

5100 Schenley Place
Lawrenceburg, Indiana 47025 (United States)

Phone: 513-354-1495
Fax: 513-354-1496

This company is affiliated with Gardens Alive!

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants and seeds.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative mjbivens
Houston, TX
August 23, 2014
I placed an order for several different fall items, totaling over $100 on August 2nd, 2014.
My credit card was charged the full amount 2 days later, even though the items are not scheduled for delivery for two to three months.
Positive dktucson
Picture Rocks, AZ
May 23, 2014
After getting a bum deal from summerstone (aka bummerstone), I was a bit gun shy to order online again. I took a chance with Henry Fields--their prices were not rediculously low so I figured they actually had sellable stock. I ordered a Pristine apple (standard) and a Stella Cherry (standard) and received both within 10 days of ordering.
The distribution of the wadding/packing material for the roots could have been more uniform--one tree got the lions share of the wet excelsior. So far the pristine apple has sprouted from dormancy so I have a co-pollinator for my beverly hills apple acquired from Lowes a few months back. The cherry looks promising and if you nick the bark with your thumbnail the wood is green beneath the surface. Both trees were soaked for 4 hours in a water bucket then place in large containers with commercial potting soil (Kellogs) to start them. I always wait for activity then commit them to ground planting
Negative RRamsdell
Fairfax, VA
May 22, 2014
I ordered 3 tomato plants, and 2 paw paw trees on April 5, 2014. The price was right at $40. They originally indicated I'd receive these plants about a week later by mid-April, perfect for early planting. The order tracker moves forward a day every day, and now says I will receive the plants on May 25 and May 29th. May 25th is Sunday the day before Memorial Day. This place obviously has no intention of ever shipping me plants I paid for over 6 weeks ago. However, they are very responsive to my 4 inquiries. Each time stating that I should receive the plants within 3-5 business days. Those days come and go, and the status tracker continues to slide day by day. I believe their responsiveness is meant to curb any appeal to the credit card. You should order from Henry Fields if you want to lose money and never get plants. However, if you don't want to waste your money, and want to get plants during the growing season, do not order from Henry Fields. These crooks need to be shut down.
Negative chrisp123
SAGLE, ID
April 25, 2014
I ordered a few things from henry fields pecan,black walnut, hazelnut, blue crop blueberry, and squash seed in 2013.all the trees were undersized with poor root system compared to other companies. the pecan and black walnut died. not sure they were alive to begin with. I called customer service they were friendly and said they would send a new pecan and black walnut. I received a check back for the pecan nothing for the black walnut. they also sent the wrong seeds which was ok cause I was going to buy those anyway. like another person said on here henry fields dldn't post my comments or product ratings on their website either. bottom line would not recommend for trees nut trees anyway. their carrot seed grew well though.
Negative lagardenerx
Hall Summit, LA
March 16, 2014
I tried ordering items from Henry Field's and the shopping cart would not allow me to delete items or to update items. I tried closing out the web page, tried changing the quantity to zero, and even tried deleting the entire shopping cart. They just lost my business!!
Neutral mccracker
Pearland, TX
September 30, 2013
I've ordered a decent bit of things from Henry Fields with varying ranges of success. I could probably attribute some of it to our climate here in Houston so I don't really hold that against them if it doesn't grow well. I did, however, order some hybrid tea roses and one of them was pretty small and weak when I received it. It ended up dying and my other 2 grew just fine. If I order anything from them now I insist in the comments that it be a large healthy plant.

My issue with them that annoys me the most is that they won't post my comments on their site. I tried to post a comment 3 times about the blue hybrid tea roses and not one of them was posted. The only comment on the roses that's posted is a 5 star review by someone. I wonder if it's posted just to make them sell better and my 3 star would be bad for sales. The description and pic posted of the rose is extremely misleading because it's supposed to be a blue rose and their pic shows it being very blue. Ours are light pink or very, very pale lavender at best. I think people that order them should know that.
Negative ainelena
Dunnville
Canada
June 1, 2013
Do NOT ever order trees/shrubs from Henry Fields.
It is hopeless and complete waste of money !
I ordered strawberries, spruces, maple trees - they call them "dormant", but I would call those plants "dead".
Bare roots, completely dry and dead already probably 2 years ago.
ALL plants I ordered - died over the course of the first summer. I complained - HF re-issued same orders for next spring, now the plans are coming - and once more all in same state: dry and dead - absolutely hopeless. I would be better off saving my time and just tossing them right away.
It is very smart of HF to call the plants "Dormant", because one cannot tell if they are alive or not, but most of them are not live - do not be over optimistic.
I ended up buying potted plants this year - and they are growing fine.
Company representative comment on June 4, 2013:
On Jun 4, 2013 1:29 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the problem with your plants. We do send many of our plants in the dormant state. Dormant or bare root plants are living plant material even though they may be completely void of green buds or leaves and do best when shipped in a dormant/bare root stage. The plants are shipped without any soil because the roots have been conditioned and will be ready to start their growth after planted. It may take as long as six to eight weeks before they begin sprouting to the point where growth is obvious. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and take care of this for you.

Negative donsch
Random Lake, WI
May 29, 2013
I placed an order with this company for some mini roses and some other items. I have received two partial shipments of my order and am still waiting for the remaining item to be shipped. It would have been nice and convenient to have received my order completely instead of this partial business. It seems that I have received numerous emails and catalogs asking for my business and then when I place an order I have to wait piecemeal for my order to be shipped in several stages. This company needs to get their shipping procedures in order for the customer's benefit.
Company representative comment on June 4, 2013:
On Jun 4, 2013 10:10 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problem with the delivery of your plants. I apologize for the delay and for all of the inconvenience. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and take care of this for you.

Positive suziesolo
Niles, MI
May 27, 2013
I recently purchased 3 Trillium plants. There was much confusion regarding my payment resulting in my being charged twice for the products. I called HF and was told, more or less, to prove I had been charged twice. I then called my bank and they promptly removed the extra charge.

The plants arrived and they are thriving and one even bloomed within a week!

Field's customer service sucks but the merchandise was great.
Company representative comment on May 29, 2013:
On May 29, 2013 2:01 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the problem with your account and all the inconvenience. I will have one of our customer service representatives contact you for your account information.

Negative steever
Towson, MD
May 24, 2013
I can only echo what the previous reviewers have said. It took Henry Field exactly one month to get me two tomato plants. When they finally arrived they had been in transit for 5 days and were almost dead. They had grown in those five days and were twisted and contorted because the box was too small. This is the worst mail order shipment of plants I have ever received. I would advise against doing business with Henry Field.
Company representative comment on May 29, 2013:
On May 29, 2013 2:00 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for the problem with the tomato plants. I will have one of our customer service representatives contact you for your account information.

Negative 3BlackCats
Ottawa
Canada
May 17, 2013
I don't understand how this company is still in business - horrible business practices.
I ordered from them several years ago and the plant material arrived half dead but I was optimistic and planted it hoping the roots would remain alive and the plants would grow the next spring. They didn't, so I called for an exchange. I was told there was no product in stock to exchange which was surprising since it was early spring but they would issue a credit but the Accounting person wasn't there so they would do it the next day - well I guess that never happened because I never received a credit or anything. I let it go, I didn't want to be bothered to run after them.
Several years later I ordered from them hoping they had improved. I ordered 2 shrubs that arrived in poor shape but I planted them anyway and again, hoped for the best. Neither did well and neither made it through the winter although they are hardy in this area and we had a mild winter to boot. I contacted Customer Service and explained the situation and the agent was not helpful at all, she did not even explain my options she sat there in silence. I told her I wanted a refund, she said they could offer an exchange but there was no product left until next spring! I don't understand that at all. I told her I wanted a refund, she gave me a credit. I told her that their guarantee stated I was eligible for a refund but she did not seem to agree. I told her I wanted to speak to a supervisor and the call terminated, I can assure you I did not hang up. I called back and waited on hold again, asked to speak to a supervisor and eventually got the refund (supposedly it will be posted in several days).
It's bad enough that they ship inferior product, but then they lie about their guarantee policy too? I felt I had to fight for something that was supposed to be my choice in terms of an exchange, credit or refund and that is not right. HORRIBLE. Now I find out the product isn't even grown in Canada? This makes no sense to me. I have a problem with the fact that this company preys on the fact that customers won't be bothered to get a refund.
People, Canadian Tire is in most communities, if you are looking for something they will be able to source it for you as they deal with several larger greenhouses and nurseries. Many stores might not know that depending on how interested the owner is with the garden centre but they all have the ability to special order from their suppliers.
Company representative comment on May 18, 2013:
On May 18, 2013 9:37 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problem with your plants and your refund. I apologize the plants were not in good shape and for all your inconvenience. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and make sure you are taken care of.

Negative jhmeyer
Herman, NE
May 16, 2013
Bought 2 pecan trees. They were just sticks when they arrived. They are dead now but Fields keeps telling me they are dormant. They are dormant, permanently. So far no luck getting refund or 2 new trees. Just getting ignored from customer service.
Company representative comment on May 18, 2013:
On May 18, 2013 9:34 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your post. Did you check to see if the plant is thriving by scratching off a portion of the outer skin. If you see green or white beneath, the plant is still alive and will soon show signs of growth. I will have one of our customer service representatives contact you for your account information and take care of this for you.

Positive teddysmomma
Tyler, TX
March 27, 2013
I ordered an apple tree and a hazelnut. They were shipped in the same package. The apple tree arrived in excellent condition and was the size advertised. They hazelnut arrived with the shredded paper surrounding the roots totally dry, probably due to the time it took to ship from one greenhouse to the other so both would be shipped together. I e-mailed customer service and got a response within 24 hours. They apologized and said a replacement would be shipped within 10 days. I received a healthy plant to replace the dry one. I am very pleased with their customer service.
Company representative comment on March 28, 2013:
On Mar 28, 2013 1:47 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you so much for sharing. We do our best to make sure our customers are taken care of. Enjoy your trees.

Neutral drobarr
Hummelstown, PA (Zone 6b)
March 19, 2013
I ordered a huckleberry plant recently March 2013), the perennial kind (not the annual graden huckleberry) It came promply and well packaged, but it was small for the price. It came in a 2 x 2 container and less than 6" tall. I had a similar experience with a cranberry plant, a gooseberry and a currant in 2012. The all survived and are larger now, but they started out small and there are many good companies that sell larger more established and bearing plants for the same price.
Company representative comment on March 21, 2013:
On Mar 21, 2013 4:33 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback, we truly appreciate hearing from our customers. The plants might be a little smaller but we offer a lifetime guarantee for as long as you garden.

Negative nashnewbie
Nashville, TN
July 23, 2012
In 2009 I ordered seeds, trees, and plants from Henry Fields.
I experienced quality problems with clover, a peach tree, a blackberry plant, a blueberry plant, strawberries, and raspberries..

All the items were eventually replaced. However, the replacement for the peach tree was a standard size, and I had ordered a semi-dwarf.

I didn't realize this until this year, when I noticed how large the tree was. So I went through my records and found that I had ordered the semi-dwarf. I emailed customer service and did not receive any reply.

Recently I called and was told they would send a refund for the semi-dwarf. However, I have not heard anything since then.

I would not recommend Henry Fields at this point. In the past they stood by their warranty and their customer service people have always been polite and helpful. I also believe that it's essential to have choices in our seeds and plants. But they do not exercise the type of quality control that makes it worth the time and money spent planting their products. If my plants and seeds don't grow, I have to go to the grocery or go without, and the growing time is lost. Be forewarned.
Company representative comment on July 24, 2012:
On Jul 24, 2012 2:48 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your posting. We apologize you have not received your refund. A customer service representative will contact you for your account information and check on your refund for you.

Positive rodlaver4
China Grove, NC
June 22, 2012
Posted on June 5, 2012, updated June 22, 2012
I ordered an Isaiah Hardy Kiwi from Henry Fields and when it arrived the box was damaged and the plant was dislodged out of it's dirt. I planted it in hopes of maybe it would revive but it did not. I have emailed Henry Fields twice about it and they have not responded. I guess I will use another company from now on. I have been using Henry Fields for years and I hate to stop because usually it is a quality product.
On June 22nd, 2012, rodlaver4 changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Henry Fields resolved the problem. i will continue to order from them.
Company representative comment on June 5, 2012:
On Jun 5, 2012 11:29 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

We appreciate you letting us know of the problems you had with your plant. I apologize your email has not been answered. One of our customer service representatives will be contacting you for your account information and we can refund or reship, whichever you prefer.

Negative Essence
Beloit, WI
June 12, 2012
Posted on May 5, 2011, updated June 12, 2012
I always have used henry fields for years now, but I received my pepper & tomato plants yeaterday and they are so awful looking leaves are yellow some with black on them and wilting and curling and falling off, I emailed them, but yet to get a response hopefully they replace they are usually good about replacing items.
On June 12th, 2012, Essence changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

This year I ordered more tomato plants from them 4 different kinds 2 kinds being some cherry tomato which those are doing wonderful, then I ordered some reg tomato, beef steak & some Pineapple ones which both done horribly , I have 1 plants that lived out of 6, I contacted Henry Fields, no response, contacted them a few days later again still no response so I went back to my account tried to email a 3rd time to find my account number is no longer valid, when I go to order history says I never had any orders they ignored my emails and erased my account so they did not have to make good on their dead plants.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2011:
On May 11, 2011 9:52 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problem with your plants. A customer service representative will be contacting you for your account information so we can have the items replaced.

Positive hah
Waukesha County, WI (Zone 5a)
May 28, 2012
I ordered Violet and Silverbelle Chocolate Vines.

The Silverbelle came looking very healthy. A good size little plant for the very low cost.

The Violet was less than 1/2 the size. It was green and leafy, but didn't stay that way and died quickly.

I sent them a message via their website, and they mailed a replacement immediately, no questions asked. The replacement looks about the same size, but hasn't died yet.

So I'm very happy with their service and their prices. Obviously the plants could be a bit bigger, but mine were better than I expected given the cost and the number of negative reviews here.

Would buy from here again.

Company representative comment on May 30, 2012:
On May 30, 2012 12:42 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with our company. If you ever have any problems just let us know we will be happy to help. Enjoy!

Positive rockwallgarden
Fulton, MO (Zone 5b)
May 24, 2012
I have received great plants and excellent customer service from Henry Fields. If you don't know how to plant just call and they will research and tell you. I had only one item (rhubarb) that was questionable and I planted it. When more than enough time had gone by I contacted them by phone and yes was answered by someone that was just a little hard to understand but was given the option of receiving a new plant when they were available or a refund. I chose the refund since I wanted to get the rhubarb in the ground. I don't think you can have better service than that. I give them an A.
Company representative comment on May 30, 2012:
On May 30, 2012 12:37 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for sharing your experience with our company. Happy Gardening!

Negative LeaAnneG
Grant City, MO
April 21, 2012
I ordered 250 honey & pearl sweet corn. I only receiver 148. I emailed them with no responce. I emailed again today hoping to get a response. We will see.
Company representative comment on April 27, 2012:
On Apr 27, 2012 3:27 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for posting. We apologize you did not receive the correct amount of seed, we will be happy to reship to you. Our customer service representative will contact you for your account information.

Neutral l6blue
Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4b)
April 18, 2012
I have never ordered from Henry Field's, but even without ordering I can say that the information they provide on their product is misleading. When I clicked on "native fruits" on their browsing menu, it brought up plants such as goji berry, Hardy Everbearing Fig, and Manchurian Bush Apricot. I suppose they are native somewhere, but not in this part of the world. It makes me mistrust them entirely, and unwilling to purchase from them no matter how tempting I find their selection and promotions.
Company representative comment on April 21, 2012:
On Apr 21, 2012 12:45 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for posting this information, you are entirely correct and this was an oversight on our part . We will have this corrected.

Negative AHealy8172
Devon, PA
April 11, 2012
Posted on April 10, 2012, updated April 11, 2012
Posted on March 30, 2012, updated April 10, 2012
If I had to grade my experience so far, I'd have to give it a 40%, which is definitely not a passing grade. I ordered 5 items for the Spring and of the 5, I've seen life in only 2 of them. I'm hoping 2 of the remaining (failing) plants are just still in dormancy, but 1 (Dutchman's Breeches) has definitely died and they were fine with replacing it- I just wish it didn't have to get to that point in the first place. The "plant" they sent was nothing more than what looked like a bean sprout - far too young to be shipped - and when I planted it, it just never took to living. They ARE replacing it, though, so I hope the replacement will be hardier.

The other 2 failing plants are bareroot items, which is why I am hoping they are just dormant, however the issue I have with it is they provided absolutely no planting instructions beyond the generic handout. They really need to have specific instructions for the plants you order- as a beginner, I have no idea how to tell the way something should be planted and when I'm just given a stick (as was the case with the Gloriosa Lily) I have no clue what to do with that. At first I planted it vertically, with part of it sticking out of the ground like a stem, but I have since replanted horizontally, with the entire thing under the soil, running parallel to the surface level. These are all guesses, of course, as Henry Fields gave no further instructions.

The other bareroot item was an Oriental Poppy and I planted it with the hairlike fibers under the ground, and two carrot-like stems sticking out of the soil like stems, but those "stems" have since drooped flat and I'm worried I planted it upside-down. I have no way of knowing, as there was no explanation given to me in the packing materials. I hope it's not too late....But needless to say, I am not happy with the guidance given by the company.

Maybe the bareroots will spring to life once the weather warms up here, but I have no idea....

I guess just to be thorough and unbiased, I can add that the set of Three Toad Lily plants seem to be all right (they are still green, but not super enthusiastic), as is the Cleopatra Lily- which hasn't done much yet, but I do see a green sprout coming up.
On April 10th, 2012, AHealy8172 added the following:

Thank you for the help, but the Poppy has been planted now for almost a month with the top of the crown sticking out of the ground; not to mention it sat about a week in the first place, planted upside-down with the roots sticking out. How long will the bareroot last? I think by now it's been too long and so I wasted that money- I will go home today and replant deeper, but I'm sure it will not help.

However, I have since received the replacement Dutchman's Breeches and planted it- it shot up the next day and already has several leaves. The first specimen was definitely bad, but I am glad your company replaced it with no issue.
On April 11th, 2012, AHealy8172 added the following:

Ok, great, dug up the Poppy last night and two carrot roots have severely deteriorated. One is completely gone and the other is reduced to about 1/5 its original size. So glad I wasted that money.....
Company representative comment on April 3, 2012:
On Apr 3, 2012 1:48 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your posting. We apologize the instructions sent were not helpful for you. The poppies have long, carrot-like roots, and the bareroot poppies we ship should be planted with 3in of soil over the crown. Dig a hole that's deep enough to accommodate the roots, up to 10-12 inches deep. Shallow planting is often the cause of failure, as is soil that is too wet. The lily should do fine, it will find the right way out of the ground.

Neutral Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
March 5, 2012
Late last year, I ordered daylilies and iris from several companies so I could compare plants and service. I placed an order on 9/26/2011 with Henry Field for (6) wineberry candy daylily, 2 shogun japanese iris, 3 miniature iris persona, 2 (sets of 5) Louisiana iris mix and 3 dwarf iris frisk me. My order wasn't shipped until 10/16 (3 weeks later). Unfortunately, on arrival, 1 of the wineberry daylilies was rotten (I tossed it out) and of the 10 Louisiana iris, 2 were so small they were almost non-existent (placed in 2.5" pots) and another was marginal at best. Overall, the plants from Henry Fields were the least impressive of the group. As of today, the shogun are very small and wispy, only 1 of the persona have managed to survive, and 1 of the frisk me never revived - it rotted out, also. The wineberries are alright. Seven of the Louisiana Iris, however, are growing well (3 feet tall already). In contrast, the iris and daylilies that I ordered from Hallson Garden 6-8 weeks later arrived healthy and robust (and within 3 days) and they are flourishing - very full, 4 to 6 times larger than the Henry Fields, and most are in bud or blooming. In all fairness to Henry Fields, I did not contact them for a replacement or a credit. After reading about other people's experiences in this department, I do not have the energy to pursue it and some of their plants did do okay. I will, however, be purchasing my plants elsewhere in the future.
Company representative comment on March 13, 2012:
On Mar 13, 2012 11:51 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

We appreciate you letting us know of the problems you had with some of the plants. One of our customer service representatives will be contacting you for your account information and we can refund or reship, whichever you prefer.

Negative JoshSimerman
Bloomington, IN
October 14, 2011
Henry Field's gets negative reviews for the worst customer service. If you call to place and order, it's to a descent quality call center, but if you have any issues and need customer service, you have to call a cheap foreign call center who barely speaks English. Their trees are not very good quality for the money, unless you order one of the bulk sale specials, but expect a few to die. I'm not ordering from here anymore, even with the specials, it's not worth the hassle and frustration.
Company representative comment on October 17, 2011:
On Oct 17, 2011 11:54 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

We appreciate your feedback as we use this information to improve on our services and plants. We apologize you had problems with any of our plants or service and a customer service represenative will contact you for your account information. We will do our best to make sure you are happy and satisfied with our company.

Positive Wolfcastle
West Lafayette, IN (Zone 5b)
September 29, 2011
In early 2011, I ordered an apple tree and an apricot tree from Henry Fields for a work related project. I had read the mixed reviews on this site and my expectations were low, really low. Anyways, I've been pleasantly surprised by this company.

The prices for the trees are high for what you get (~$22 for a two foot stick), but the shipping prices are fantastic. The apple tree was shipped in the spring and the apricot tree shipped in the fall, but shipping for my order was just $10. That's TEN TOTAL...for both shipments.

The apple tree, despite starting tiny, has done well this year and put on some growth. The apricot was shipped in a tiny pot, so I expect it will do pretty well.

While I'd still choose Adams County Nursery or C&O Nursery over Henry Fields any day of the week for multiple tree orders, I'd definitely consider Henry Fields again if I was looking for a single tree.
Company representative comment on September 30, 2011:
On Sep 30, 2011 12:52 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you very much for your testimonial. We really appreciate the feedback.

Positive cjparker
Kennewick, WA (Zone 7a)
July 1, 2011
I got an end-of-season email that advertised $200 worth of grab bag plants for $20. Since the shipping was based on the $20, I figured I couldn't go far wrong, so I went ahead and placed an order.

I was very pleasantly surprised to receive an order that would have been over $220 based on their retail prices on the website. The plants were healthy. Amongst other items, I received six mini roses and one of them was in bloom! I also got a bag of bulbs, which was unexpected since the ad said "plants". That's not a complaint, though, just an observation. I ended up with six roses, 2 dwarf burning bushes, 3 dinnerplate dahlias, 3 black eyed susans, 4 pineapple plants, the lily bulbs, and a couple other things, all for $26.94 including shipping. If you have a place for whatever comes along, this would be a great way to fill up some space. I'll order again next year if I get a similar offer, since I have more space than $$.
Company representative comment on July 5, 2011:
On Jul 5, 2011 3:16 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you letting us know about the plants and value you received from our company. We look forward to many future orders.

Positive mcarr2rr
Milwaukee, WI
June 28, 2011
I ordered 2 of the grab bags this year (2011) and was a bit disappointed that a lot of the plants were zone 9-10 as I'm in zone 5. The plants were healthy and I planted the few that were suitable for my zone outdoors and the rest I will try to use as house plants but really would have preferred that they had been organized by zones before packing. But I guess if it's a grab bag there's no sorting out by zone. Overall it was a good value but I wish there were more plants I could have used for the garden.
Company representative comment on June 29, 2011:
On Jun 29, 2011 1:01 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for sharing your idea about the grab bags. We are looking into changing the grab bags to be more zone specific next season.

Positive Buddy44
Eagle Rock, VA
June 27, 2011
Have ordered several times this year. All orders arrived in a timely fashion and all items were as expected. The most fun was the $200.00 grab bag for $19.99. What a nice selection of plants. All were in good shape for an end of season sale. Actually, they were much better than I expected. All are doing very well.
Company representative comment on June 29, 2011:
On Jun 29, 2011 12:21 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

We appreciate you sharing your experience with our company. Thank you and happy planting.

Negative keenmark
June 22, 2011
I placed an order for 2 types of sweet potatoes and was told they shipped on 5/17. After 2 weeks, I had not received my order and I contacted the company. I did get an immediate response asking me to be patient that it could take another week. I contacted them again the end of May and was told to allow another 2-3 business days. I contacted them on June 2 indicating the order was still not received and due to the delay please cancel and issue a refund. I was told a refund would be issued please allow 2-3 weeks. 2-3 weeks has passed, I contacted them and was told a refund was issued 6/21 - please allow 2-3 weeks. I have no doubt in 2-3 weeks, I will still be without my refund. They say they offer world class service, just unsure what 3rd world they are talking about.
Company representative comment on June 23, 2011:
On Jun 23, 2011 10:51 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problem with your order. We will be happy to check on your refund for you. A customer service representative will be contacting you for your account information.

Negative Jesse276
Milwaukee, WI
June 17, 2011
I ordered Hydrangeas and after almost a week with no shipping notification, I contacted them to try to get a expected date. They mentioned that it would ship within a week.

Two weeks later (3 weeks after my original order) I contacted them again and they said the item was too popular and couldn't send it. I go to their website and they still have it for sale.

They agreed to refund my money, but I haven't confirmed that on my credit card statement yet.

These fools should be contacting me about my order, I shouldn't have to hound them for info. Also, I would have bought from someone else and had the plants in the ground already, instead I've wasted 3 weeks of time.

Thanks Henry Fields!
Company representative comment on June 20, 2011:
On Jun 20, 2011 12:22 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the shipping of your order. A customer service representative will contact you for your account information and see what can be done about your order.

Sincerely,

June 9, 2011
Posted on May 26, 2011, updated June 9, 2011
Posted on May 25, 2011, updated May 26, 2011
Posted on March 21, 2011, updated May 25, 2011
customer service? They hung up on me. Got my order today. Got one type of potato and the other not untill 5/15-5/29. Why? "We ship plants at the proper time...". Ok then why did I get one bag of potatoes today then? Click. Why is the Maypop ($15.99) so small (3") pot. "We ship in dormant stage..." It's not dormant, just puny. Will I bother calling back? Nope.
On May 25th, 2011, bleepy added the following:

surprise! More jerking around. I called last week to get an update on the O'Henry sweet potato from my order placed on 3/14. I was notified on the packing slip of 3/16 that the expected delivery was 5/15-5/29. I called last week for an update and was told to expect them from saturday 'till today the 25th. I just called and after holding a loooog time was given a new date june 1-15. I said I wanted to cancel and get a partial credit on the shipping charges but was put on hold again and was so mad I hung up. I really wanted these but I don't believe that I will get them since they are now not available.
On May 26th, 2011, bleepy added the following:

A gift certificate? Really! And you went ahead and cancelled it for me? I wish I could give you a double negative. What you should have done was A. not cancelled it so that I could see if you actually would send it. B. given me a refund of at least part of the shipping charges since you did not complete the order. Oh and it's nice of you to post a response for all to see but I've heard nothing from you directly.
On June 9th, 2011, bleepy added the following:

Guess what I got last week? The unwanted "gift certificate"? No, the cancelled O'Henry slips. I can't bring myself to change the rating since they are so hard to deal with but I did end up getting what I ordered.
Company representative comment on May 26, 2011:
On Mar 29, 2011 6:17 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize you were hung up on and we would like to check into this further. A customer service representative will be contacting you for your account information to locate your account and check into the delay with your potatoes as well as try to find out what happened with your call.

On May 26, 2011 11:29 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery added:

We apologize for the trouble with your sweet potato order. Your order was able to be cancelled and we have also issued a gift certificate for all of the inconvenience.

Positive gracesplants
Howell, MI
May 25, 2011
Posted on May 3, 2011, updated May 25, 2011
Posted on March 20, 2011, updated May 3, 2011
Henry Fields-one of my FAVORITES! I don't know what is not to like about them-----Every plant that I have received from them has done well, I appreciate the fact that they do send an order confirmation, the plants are shipped with care and don't sit at the post office,and, that Henry Fields is always coming up with new varieties. I have ordered carmine jewel bushes, sugar pearls and sundance apple, among others. Will update upon arrival. As you can tell from my numerous posts, I LOVE gardening.
On May 3rd, 2011, gracesplants added the following:

Some things are worth waiting for!!! I just received an absolutely BEAUTIFUL jumbo Northland blueberry. The box arrived in perfect condition. The woody part of the plant is over 27 inches tall. Eight branches loaded with light-green new leaf buds, and, a LARGE rootball all give promise to delicious berries in the future! Thank you Henry Fields, customer # 30089366.
On May 25th, 2011, gracesplants added the following:

WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW! -quadruple wow. Patience IS a virtue. The carmine cherry bushes that I received today are BEYOND amazing.! The 36 and 40-inch plants (not including the 4-5 inches of new growth) are loaded with GREEN leaves. The 6-inch rootballs were MOIST, covered with sphagnum moss and wrapped. Packaging was over-the-top. The plants were cushioned and had a stabilizer rods in the sealed box, AND, that sealed box was in another sealed box. I wanted these plants very much when I ordered them in early March, requesting a May delivery--I am beyond impressed. Thank you so very much, D. Stach
Company representative comment on March 29, 2011:
On Mar 29, 2011 6:20 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We do offer quality plants and great customer service. We are always here to help you with all your gardening needs.

Positive starlady42
State College, PA
May 19, 2011
I ordered a grapevine and an apple tree using an internet coupon. Without the coupon I would have thought them a bit overpriced, but with the coupon they were an excellent deal. They shipped separately and were both well-packed (the apple tree may have been overpacked, actually - the box was huge!). The grape arrived first and began pushing buds almost as soon as I planted it in a container. The apple is a grafted whip and the graft is solid. The rootstock is 1/2-3/4" diameter and the scion is 1/4-1/2". I can't remember precisely how tall it was as I cut it back to about 30". I have it in a container and it is leafing out beautifully. Overall, I am very happy with my purchase from Henry Field's.
Company representative comment on May 20, 2011:
On May 20, 2011 9:53 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

We appreciate you sharing your expereince with us. We are always glad to hear how well our plants are doing for our customers. Happy Gardening!

Positive virginiarose
Southeast, VA (Zone 8a)
May 15, 2011
Recently I ordered two Lilac bushes. They were shipped in a timely manner. The five inch pots were inside plastic bags with ties and then inside cardboard square tubes. The plants were very healthy and big! I have purchased from them before also and have never had a problem.
Company representative comment on May 16, 2011:
On May 16, 2011 11:19 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you very much for your nice feeedback. We always want our customers to be happy and to receive top quality plants.

Negative Gardener5b
Kansas City, MO
April 29, 2011
I ordered 2 Goji berries on April 9. They were shipped on April 25. I received them today, April 29.

The outer shipping box was intact. However, when I opened the shipping box there was stone dry soil spilled all inside the box. The plants were placed inside cardboard tubes with some sort of circular piece of paper (with no bottom) around the roots. The soil was supposed to be in this paper tube (inside the cardboard tube) but had ALL spilled out away from the roots.

Both plants were very wilted. One appears to be nearly dead. The leaves have changed color and texture to a point that generally means no return.

I called Customer Service and was informed that it was not their problem and that there was nothing that could be done about it. I was told it was the fault of the Shipping company. I stated that the outer packaging was fully intact and it was the inner packaging that was defective. The plants were not shipped in a way that kept soil and moisture around the tender roots. (I told customer service agent that the simple addition of two plastic sandwich bags and twist ties would have solved the entire problem.)

I stated that I would take it up with Visa and this immediately changed the situation. Within 2 minutes, I had a confirmation order for a "rush" reshipment. However, the product is now on Backorder and will not be shipped until May 15 to May 30.

I am glad they are reshipping but this was horrible service both in the shipping department, the tiny (six inch) size of the plants, and in the attitude of customer service. I will not order from Henry Fields again.

This is getting pretty late for shipping tender plants to my location by USPS.
Company representative comment on May 5, 2011:
On May 5, 2011 4:12 PM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problem with our customer service. A customer service representative will be contacting you for your account information and check into this further.

Positive anakinson
Eau Claire, WI
April 22, 2011
Summer, 2010, I recieved a variety of seeds and perennials and have been pleased with the results in the vegetable garden and in the beds this spring--everything is returning happily. Henry Field's' prices are good and their shipping and packaging are okay, too.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2011:
On May 11, 2011 9:50 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Positive goodenough

HENRY FIELD'S STRAWBERRY FOOD

DEER SCRAM

HENRY FIELD'S PLANT FOOD

JACKMANII HYBRID CLEMATIS

It is too soon to comment on how well I like all of the products; however, I can say that I received all items promptly, and the jackmanii clematis arrived in good shape, the soil was still moist, and it was about a foot tall. So far, I'm happy with the clematis. It has grown. I'm familiar with this type of clematis and know it is beautiful, so I'm looking forward to it blooming.

When I ordered from this company in the past, I was pleased. I get a lot of catalogs from different nursery companies, and I ordered from them this year because there was a good coupon in their catalog. You might want to get on their mailing list for their coupon.
Company representative comment on April 20, 2011:
On Apr 20, 2011 9:29 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your nice feedback. We do offer nice quality plants at an affordable price. If you ever have any questions we are always here to help.

Positive moosewood
Dewitt, MI (Zone 5a)
March 21, 2011
bleepy
Sorry to hear about your bad expierience with Henry Fields.
I have ordered many things from them in the past: Shrubs, mini-roses, Helebores, perennials, bulbs, and a long time ago a garden chemical or 2 (?).
Unlike some other growers, they seem to take care that their bare root items will arrive in a not-too-wet not-too-dry condition. That ain't easy.
I have always noted the good quality of their plants, shipping, prices and service. Fact is, outside of asking about item availability, I have never had to deal with their "Customer service".
If Henry Fields has any items of interest to me in the future, I will have no second thoughts about ordering from them again.
Moosie
Company representative comment on March 29, 2011:
On Mar 29, 2011 6:24 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for you feedback. Our company is based on 100% Customer Service. We are trained and qualified to answer any questions you may have or assist you with any problems that may arise, at any time. We are always here to help.

Negative SPORTSMAN1
Mapleton, ND
March 12, 2011
In 2009 I ordered 50 Fort Laramie everbearing strawberry plants.I planted them and all grew.Fort Laramie is supposed to be an everbearer.I picked off the first blossoms.They should have produced berries in the fall.Unfortunately not 1 plant blossomed and had fruit.

I contacted the company and told them they must have sent me Junebeares by mistake.They agreed to replace them in spring of 2010.The plants from 2009 had a very good crop in spring 2010.I planted the new Ft. Larimie plants and the same thing happened again.No berries in the fall.Once again they sent me junebearers.I am expecting a good crop of junebearing berries this spring.But that's not what I ordered.They will all get tilled under after fruiting.

I have planted Ft. laramie before and always had berries to pick the first fall.Both off the mother plant and the runners the first fall.I won't be ordering anything from them anymore.Don't want to be disappointed 3 years in a row.They need to get this obvious mistake corrected.Not sending what a person orders soured me on this company.
Company representative comment on March 15, 2011:
On Mar 15, 2011 7:43 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for letting us know about the problems with your berries. I apologize for the inconvenience. A customer service representative will be contacting you for your account information so we can make sure you are shipped the correct berries.

Positive texasyellowrose
Gainesville, GA
February 28, 2011
Posted on February 12, 2011, updated February 28, 2011
Buyer, be ware! I received a catalog from this company with a $25.00 off coupon with purchase of $25.00 or more in additional products. I entered my order on line and enter the codes for the account and key code required. On the order status at that point the order showed the discount. When I submitted the order the $25.00 discount has disappeared. I immediately tried to contact the company and was told no order had been made by me and that I could reenter the order. Later, with a confirmation number I called back and was told that two packets of seed that I had ordered at 75 cents and $1.49 made my order total invalid because they were on sale and that constituted an additional offer. I could understand the coupon and the free shipping offer sent by email being two separate offers, but purchasing an item marked as on sale should not be considered a separate offer. When I threatened to cancel the entire order, Kim checked with her supervisor further running up the cost of minutes on my cell, and then allowed me the coupon discount. Had I not looked carefully at my confirmation I would have lost greater than the $25.00 from the coupon and the total would appear on my credit card. I seriously doubt I would do business with this company again, because Kim was rude and I felt the advertising on the coupon was false. I have done business with this company in the past, and was sent a coupon for merchandise that was out of stock and would no longer be offered. To be honest, I never used the coupon because of the rudeness of the customer service representative at that time. ( Until this incident I had forgotten about the previous experience.and found in a review of my garden journal.)
On February 28th, 2011, texasyellowrose changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

I changed my rating because a customer representative contacted me and responded that they would followup and use the incident in customer training for employees. I also received in the mail a postcard with a coupon which I greatly appreciated. There were some items that I would like to try, but to be honest I had not purchased plants from here because of the fear of being disappointed. I did receive the order of redworms for vermicomposting that I ordered and they appear to be healthy. I believe by the rapid response I received that the company is really trying to right a wrong impression and I appreciate the effort by the company to take care of my complaints. I will use the coupon and try another order.
Company representative comment on February 15, 2011:
On Feb 15, 2011 10:22 AM, Henry Field's Seed & Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the rudeness of our representatives. We will research your account and find the agents involved and use this to ensure they receive training/coaching needed. A customer service representative will be contacting you for your account information.