The scoop on 'Michigan Bulb'

Michigan Bulb

Lawrenceburg, Indiana 47025-4180 (United States)

Phone: 513-354-1498
Fax: 513-354-1499

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Gardens Alive!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive joy1374
Batavia, IL
July 29, 2014
I purchased several plants towards the end of Spring. The one draw back is that you don't know when they will arrive, and I did not have time to plant them immediately. However, I was able to store them in a cool dry place for a few days.

They will arrive as bare roots and may "look dead". It is important to follow the instructions for pre-planting. I had purchased previously, so I expected this and did not expect anything to bloom until next summer.

To my surprise, 2 of my rose bushes that were a little worn from the travel and not being planted immediately (new branches had started, but broke off), have already bloomed this year!

The rest of my stock were spring plants and I will be looking for them next spring. I hope I will be equally happy then.
Negative Juliaf
Concord, NH
July 19, 2014
I ordered a black gold lily. http://www.michiganbulb.com/product/Black-Gold-Lily
It's almost all black with some yellow highlights.
When it bloomed, it looked like this: /photos/7174771@N07/14679945315/
Nice enough, but not anything like what I ordered.
I wrote a review for their website, and surprise! It did not get posted. I also noticed the reviews on their website are almost all 4's and 5's. Now I know why.
Negative lwbuchholz
Manhattan, MT
July 17, 2014
I ordered a lot of Iris from this company. They shipped them too late to plant them in my zone. I planted the first shipment in my green house and they lived. They sent the last 3 later and they came through very dried out. I planted them anyway and hoped they would live. The last 3 died and they issued me a certificate to buy more stuff from them. I am angry because I gave them money and they should return the money or replace the plant. I doubt I will order from them again.
Negative asdfadf
Seattle, WA
June 21, 2014
Ordered six tuberose bulbs from Michigan Bulb and not a single one sprouted, let alone bloomed.

I've grown tuberose for years and while I have trouble getting them to re-bloom in my zone, I have never had them not even sprout.
Negative shiz
merrill wisconsin
USA Minor Outlying Islands
June 20, 2014
I ordered Lollipop Intersectional peony , was very excited to get it and plant it in my garden. It came there was no leaves the dirt was out of the pot so I checked for live root growth. Nothing. So I called and told them I would send it back I wanted a decent peony. They said they were sorry and said oh we have one left they will send it out right away. So I waited and got it in the mail and it was so disappointing ! It was a branch the size of a toothpick with one leaf on , I planted it and the plant is now wilting. I guess what's frustrating is how sellers can take tissue culture plants that are no where mature plant put them in a 3" pot and not close to being a year old. There is hardly no root system there and we are suppose to establish the plant. When you buy a bare root peony or plant you at least get a root system. And if you have a bad winter like our winters in Wisconsin you can have losses real easy.
Positive Anewgardenerr
East Patchogue, NY
June 6, 2014
This was my first online order for plants. I ordered hostas and a rose a Sharon. I ordered a empress wu hosta that was very well packed and healthy beautiful baby. My only down point was right after I placed my order I found full grown empress in Home Depot for the same price as this lil baby. Any who. Plants look great, all nice size barefoot and packed well. I will do business with them again, happy customer
Negative harborthb
Pensacola, FL
May 27, 2014
Ordered daisys, hollyhocks and coneflowers last season, all died, the told me that it was to late in the year and would send this year, which they did. Out of six hollyhocks I have two and they aren't doing very well, daisys died, three of the coneflowers out of six are ok. won't order from them again.
Positive RebeccaLynn
Winston Salem, NC (Zone 7a)
May 22, 2014
Posted on October 15, 2012, updated May 22, 2014
Posted on May 7, 2012, updated October 15, 2012
Posted on April 1, 2012, updated May 7, 2012
Posted on September 27, 2011, updated April 1, 2012
Posted on May 17, 2011, updated September 27, 2011
Earlier in the spring, I saw an inexpensive "deal" from Michigan Bulb for red border lily bulbs. I decided to place the order, even though I had seen several negative reviews in Garden Watchdog. They arrived, looked fine, and I planted them. They are on the verge of blooming now, and I am pleased. I will order from Michigan Bulb again.
On September 27th, 2011, RebeccaLynn added the following:

The Red Storm border lilies bloomed beautifully. Unfortunately, the rabbits munched on the leaves until only stalks were left, so on June 1st, I placed another order for Red Storm border lilies. Today, September 27th, the bulbs arrived. They are good sized and firm. I am pleased.
On March 31st, 2012, RebeccaLynn added the following:

The Red Storm plants have emeged and are looking good. Even the ones that the rabbits ate have come back up.
On May 7th, 2012, RebeccaLynn added the following:

My Red Storm border lilies from Michigan Bulb are in bloom! So pretty!
On October 15th, 2012, RebeccaLynn added the following:

Last week I received my order consisting of about 2 dozen lily bulbs and 3 foxglove plants. The bulbs were medium sized and healthy, and the plants looked good also. Everything was well packed. Everything is planted now. All that is left to do is hope the squirrels don't dig up the bulbs and wait for spring 2013 to see the beauty. Another good experience with Michigan Bulb Company.
On May 22nd, 2014, RebeccaLynn added the following:

The 3 bags of Hardy Lilies (item #09944) arrived today as scheduled. All 30 bulbs appear viable, but rather small. I will plant them this afternoon. I have always have good results with this company's lily bulbs.
Company representative comment on May 18, 2011:
On May 18, 2011 11:15 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

We really appreciate you posting your experience with our company and we look forward to your future orders. Happy Gardening!

Negative CherubSmile
second star to the left
United States
May 13, 2014
Posted on June 22, 2006, updated May 13, 2014
The Casualties:

9 of 9 "potted" Mixed Foxglove -Dead. At the very least they were rotten or insect laden, and some were simply disintegrated by the time they graced my doorstep. I planted the gooey stubs anyway, (trying to be hopeful), but nothing happened.

1 of 3 Hardy Hibiscus bareroots never sprouted anything. The other 2 are growing, but I will eat my hat if they grow 3-4 feet this season like the company touts in their catalogue. They each have about 4 2mm leaves on them right now.

3 of 3 mixed Canterbury Bells -also Dead. Well, I think they had to have been alive once to be able to die-and that's highly questionable with the bare roots I recieved. I planted them, but they just rotted in the ground and eventually ended up being little more than compost.

4 "potted" Russian Sage of 6-Dead. Same condition as the above mentioned Foxglove. The 5th plant looks like it's about to kick the bucket soon.

The only plants that are growing well are the (bareroot) Astilbe-I ordered the collection of 4 plants (one of each color), and am pleased to see decent growth on all of them. (The white one has struggled the most, pink has performed the best)

Needless to say I am not pleased. They did send prompt replacements when I called to inform them about the Foxglove and Sage, but the replacements all tanked too.

Reading this post may give one the impression that I am a lousy gardener. However I am not, and have managed to have great success with a large variety of plants both fussy and uncommon.

It isn't me!

The "potted" plants are WAY TOO SMALL to survive the long stays in trucks and warehouses etc... The company needs to send larger, healthier plants and send them with a two day service so they don't have to keep re-sending replacement plants to increasingly cranky customers.

The planting season is nearing it's end now, so what does one do? I have fought with teeny sickly plants and exhausted my patience, only to end up WITHOUT the plants I wanted anyway! I had to find them elsewhere-ironically I found HUGE beautiful healthy Foxglove, Coneflower, Shasta Daisy, Sage, Astilbe, and 1 purple Canturbury Bell at my local grocery store for LESS than Michigan Bulb. I only wish I had seen them sooner so I could have enjoyed the Foxglove blooms THIS YEAR!

As for the bareroot casualties-they want me to wait 6 WEEKS to see if they grow. I assure you, they will not. By then they will have LONG since been gracing the gates of little plant Heaven.

It's a stalling tactic-no more. Because in 6 weeks, when fall is nearly here, I can call them back to tell them what they already knew months earlier (the plants have kicked the bucket)and they can tell me they are out of stock and I have to wait for Spring or get my money back.

Nope.

I want my money back now so I can have at least a small chance of purchasing the plants somewhere else (preferably before I'm decorating my Christmas tree.)

On May 13th, 2014, CherubSmile added the following:

beware: THEY ARE SELLING CREEPING BELLFLOWER AS CANTERBURY BELLS.
Campanula Medium is NOT campanula Rapunculoides or Rampion, but apparently Michigan Bulb thinks so. Good lord. They won't even acknowledge the flub and have offered nothing. ("we didn't send you a dead plant..") Indeed.
I should have learned my lesson about this place darnit. You should see my once beautiful garden.. Foxgloves are GONE, so many years labor of love just decimated in one season. The Creeping Bellflower (aka the purple monster) is even in my lawn, headed over to my neighbor's. *cringe* I may have to move before they sue me for ruining their yard too.
I called The University of Illinois Master Gardener for plant ID and its confirmed. Just in case you think I'm nuts or making this up. She said, apologetically: "Good luck getting that out-you probably never will"
Go look up creeping bellfower and you will see why this is the worst thing a garden center could send you (in disguise no less) aside from coming with a bulldozer and razing your entire garden.
And then your neighbor's.
Its not the worth the few decent astilbe and bleeding hearts and Red Hot Pokers and own root roses, and Passion flowers .. ugh, do you see? Some things from this place do end up working out, so I have continued to order form them over the years and just cross my fingers. I know I have to care for the poor sicky little plants like premie babies in the NIC U when they first arrive, with frost still on the ground, but it ends up yielding some fairly decent plants for a small amount of money.
I'd give them all back now just to be rid of this terrible weed.
Sad sad sad. Shame on them.
Please- don't order Canterbury Bells from them. And start ALL of your bareroots from Michigan Bulb in a pot first to make sure they're not some surprise demon before introducing them to your innocent unsuspecting little garden. >8(
I'm sure I'll be banned from ordering from them anymore after this (nice tactic, btw) but I think I can find somewhere else to get my Passion Vines every year. It would be hypocritical for me to give them money anymore anyway.
You guys just lost another consistent customer of many many years.
Positive windsor224
Haycock,Bucks County, PA (Zone 6b)
April 30, 2014
Posted on November 6, 2012, updated April 30, 2014
Very reliable. Order needed to be broken up and sent out at different times. They came as specified.
On April 30th, 2014, windsor224 added the following:

I order again this spring and everything arrived nice and healthy. Fast service. Will use again.
Company representative comment on November 13, 2012:
On Nov 13, 2012 11:16 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. Happy Gardening!

Positive dogshed
Stockton, MO
April 26, 2014
4/26/14 Rec'd my order within 2 weeks of placing the order. Plants are small which I expected. Very well packaged. This order I placed was all hosta. Each hosta was in their own little box. Roots had soil and shrink wrap. They all look good, well one was a little droopy. No biggie as it will bounce back in a few days. Order came in a box with airbag packing.
I was looking for another company to replace my long years with DG. It looks like I am have found it with Michigan bulb.
They are actually less expensive than DG. Shipping was less, DG is a bag, Michigan Bulb is a box with plant protection. Michigan Bulb is months faster than DG in high season.

I am waiting on a few more orders and I will update. So far I am very pleased.
Positive nowMNzone4b
Kasson, MN
Posted on June 4, 2012, updated April 24, 2014
I received my order promptly, correct, and in good condition even though the box was partially crushed (something very heavy must have been on top of it during shipping). The air bag packing did it's job to protect the plants. One of the items I ordered was "Red" Hens and Chicks which was shown as bright magenta in their catalog, What I received was light green leaves with a pale reddish tint at the the base of each leaf. I hope the plants will redden up as they mature and the season progresses or I will be disappointed.
On April 24th, 2014, nowMNzone4b added the following:

April 2014. Rec'd plant that I ordered in Jan. in two shipments; both arrived in excellent condition (both boxes and plants). Plants are small, which one would expect for the price. The weeping cherry tree was suppose to come potted but came bare rooted with a note stating the potted supply was exhausted but a bare rooted supply ad been obtained and sent. The tree I rec'd. had a base dia. larger than a pencil but smaller than a Sharpie pen and approx. 30" tall so don't expect "large plants" which is fine with me for experience has taught me small trees acclimate with less stress and actually start to grow quicker than larger ones. The roots on this tree are magnificent! (at least 8 roots big enough to radially flared from the base and the largest planted deep so I will plant it in the ground for a few years (to enlarge the trunk) then repot it in a bonsai pot an start working on the branch structure for bonsai. I have been evolved with bonsai for 50 yrs.
Company representative comment on June 5, 2012:
On Jun 5, 2012 11:57 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

We appreciate your post. They should darken with age. Happy Gardening!

Positive u2dan
Winthrop, MA
April 24, 2014
I love the products sold by Michigan Bulb and the service and delivery are great. I would buy from them again EVEN THOUGH their marketing tactics are extremely aggressive and prey on people that don't understand. Now that I understand how they work, as I said, I would stay a customer.

Their prices change dynamically on their website, or they have a few versions of their website, depending on your actions. If you use their $25 off coupon, the second you apply the coupon the prices in your basket AND on the website increase by a LOT so you aren't actually saving any money.

The next tactic is using any of the promo codes will also alter the prices on the website so be careful and pay attention. I had a banana tree in my cart that was $8, then after adding the coupon code the price of the tree increased to 19.99 with some money off so the final price became $14.99. Another time it was $10.99, all within the same hour.

I ended up clearing my basket and leaving the site and ended up on Amazon, and low and behold I found Michigan Bulb and their subsidiaries (Gurney's and Spring Hill). The prices on Amazon were far cheaper than on the MB website, so I clicked on the link to go to MB website and the prices were slashed to the lowest I'd seen so I bought from that version of the website.

Like I said, they have excellent selection, fast delivery and pretty good service so don't be afraid to order, but do pay attention to your pricing.
Negative stormyeyes99
Lafayette, NJ
April 24, 2014
Another one on my list of "will never buy from them again"
I ordered live and dormant plants. I live in zone 6. And okay, most of the country had abnormal weather this winter/spring But.... I was first told they will be held until it was time to ship to my zone. Then I was told they shipped. Then I was told they didn't ship when indeed they did and I received them in the second week of March with almost 2 feet of snow and ice still in my yard. I stored the dormant plants in the refrigerator but I only have so much southern window space. I lost 2 plants so far. I finally have been able to work the soil and plant them.

I never received a response to my email complaining about receiving my plants so early. They at least could have apologized for the error.

I have unsubscribed to their emails and requested that catalogs no longer be sent to me. I'm done with them. No second chances!
Positive Leishman15
Berkeley, CA
April 20, 2014
For the most part, the company ships plants, even the free ones, in great shape. I was very worried about my bare root asparagus as I had to plant in days after I got it after wrapping it up and putting it in the fridge in the meantime. I got shoots in less than a week.

I did have a few problem plants, but these were immediately refunded without a problem.
Positive Doughster4
Bowleys Quarters, MD
April 9, 2014
I recieved my order today. I am pleased with my order as everything was shipped in full, everything arrived in good condition and I recieved my money's worth.

I have ordered from them several times over the past 10 plus years, usually with mixed results. No complaints as "you get what you pay for". Mislabling (plants not true to identity or color), rotten bulbs or dried up dormant plants here and there. I never contacted them or complained.

I have noticed that their pricing has increased dramatically but their discounts have remained the same. 50% off 40 dollar orders, etc.I decided to order this year and take advantage of the discounts with my fingers crossed and chuckling to myself.

I HAVE to say I am pleasantly surprised. 2 dormant bareroot tall phlox arrived wrapped in plastic and sawdust. They were moist with many new shoots rising from large rhizomes. Exactly what I would recieve from Wayside or comparable. My Julia Child Rose was healthy although slightly dry. This own root was small but no different than other own root rose vendors selling it for 17.50 or more. My 14.95 rose cost me 7.50. A dwarf fernspray Cypress was exceptionally healthy and ingood condition.

I feel I recieved a great value on my purchase. Michigan Bulb met their obligations to me and sent me healthy plants. If they die or fail to thrive from now until the end of the growing season it will be my own fault.

Negative lstavely
Asbury Lake, FL
April 6, 2014
I received my order, which consisted of three plants. I was very disappointed in the size of the Butterfly Bush and Cotton Candy Grass. The Cotton Candy Grass more than anything. This plant consisted of “FOUR” blades of grass. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to order a plant and get something I can’t even see in my garden, or I won’t be able to see it for years if it even makes it. I ordered a plant not 4 pieces of grass. At the same time I made this order I also ordered a few plants from Spring Hill Nursery’s. Those plants came in one gallon containers ready to plant and will bloom this year at a nice size. How many years will I have to wait to see my four blades of grass bloom? I don’t believe I will be ordering from this company again. Very disappointed customer.
Positive dremusicmd
March 28, 2014
Just received the first of three orders I've placed this season with Michigan Bulb. Plants arrived in great condition, and were larger than expected! Great value!
Negative Shorty_CA
Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 10b)
March 27, 2014
Posted on March 5, 2014, updated March 7, 2014
Re: Account Number 50493921
Order Number: 40530014000
Order Number: 40550014500

The original estimated delivery dates of these two orders placed on 2/22 and 2/24 respectively have come and gone. The revised delivery dates range from 3/8/14 to 3/13/14. Considering that today is already 3/5/14 and I'm in California the 3/8 is already out the window.

Since the last frost date for Zone 10 was January 31st and I've had roses and other spring flowers blooming for weeks I'm eager to receive my orders. My credit card was charged immediately.

With over 25 years of experience in business processes and software systems for materials management in a variety of industries including fresh foods it is obvious to me that their are several serious and systemic problems that MB management doesn't seem capable of fixing.

MB should have fewer sales and focus on delivering quality product on time. Why in Sam Hill's name would I place additional orders with a company that can't ship the orders I've already placed? I have no clue when I can expect my orders based on MB's track record with my order and numerous other customers who have posted experiences similar to mine.

I will update this post when and if I receive my order.

On March 7th, 2014, Shorty_CA added the following:

I logged on to MB today and there is a third set of estimated delivery dates. They are 3-10 to 3-14. As today is 3/7 the 3/10 date is invalid.
On March 8th, 2014, Shorty_CA added the following:

Another set of estimated delivery dates:
Order 1
Items not yet shipped:
04820 JULIA CHILD ROSE
Delivery Estimate: 03/11/14 - 03/16/14

On March 10th, 2014, Shorty_CA added the following:

New estimated delivery dates for both orders are 3/14/14 to 3/19/14. 3/15 and 3/16 are weekend days when UPS and FedEx do not normally deliver.
On March 12th, 2014, Shorty_CA added the following:

Another set of estimated delivery dates. For both orders they are: 03/15/14 - 03/20/14

If my orders haven't been shipped by 3/22 I will call my credit card company and cancel payment.
On March 17th, 2014, Shorty_CA added the following:

On Friday March 14th I sent an email to MB expressing my dissatisfaction with the numerous delays in shipping my orders. I also informed them that I would contact my credit card company if my orders were no shipped by March 22nd.

On Saturday, March 15th I received the following response.

"Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your recent email. I apologize for the inconvenience. Your order will ship at the proper time for spring planting in your area. Our shipping schedule shows that you should receive your orders by early April or perhaps sooner.

However, I have applied rush to your order and your order should ship on priority basis.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Elisa
Customer Service "

According to MB's own website, the proper time for shipping in Zone 10 started on February 1st. I placed my orders 21 and 23 days AFTER my zone should have been opened for shipping.

MB's response clearly shows that they have no clue when orders will be shipped. This is completely unacceptable.

Do NOT order from MB if you have any expectation of receiving your orders in a timely manner.

On March 22nd, 2014, Shorty_CA added the following:

My response to MB's customer service email sent on 3/18.
Thank you for applying a rush status to my order. Unfortunately this does not solve the issue.

I live in Zone 10. According to your company’s website, shipping for Zone 10 started on February 1st. I placed my orders on February 22nd and February 24th. If you read what I have posted on Dave’s Garden Watchdog, these bogus estimated shipping dates are being generated almost daily. My orders should have shipped within five working days. Your competitors are shipping with this type of precision and many of them do NOT charge my credit card until my order has been shipped.

The fact that you can’t give me a definitive date when my orders will be shipped shows a serious problem with management. I understand that you do not have authority or responsibility to solve these problems. What I wasn’t expecting was to receive a canned answer that obviously was given to you by your supervisors.

I have been involved with materials management including inventory control and shipping for over twenty five years. There are serious systemic problems with your company’s order, inventory, and shipping processes.

Since customer issues are not dealt with by management, I will call my credit card company and cancel my payment on Monday if these orders have not been shipped. I will never order from Michigan Bulb again.

I've since received two shipping confirmation notices and the following response.

Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for your email. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Please know that this is the busiest time of the year and we are trying to fulfill all the orders in which they have been received. However, I have reviewed your account and see that your order #40530014000 has been shipped on 03.20.14 and it should be delivered to you in next 5-7 business days.

Your order #40550014500 is in the final stage of shipping and will be shipped within 24 hours. Once this order will be shipped, it should be delivered to you in next 5-7 business days.

While we try to make every effort to ensure that the items you order are of the highest quality, shipped to you in a timely manner, and with the best service, occasionally we stumble. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

I will post pictures of my shipments as soon as they arrive.

On March 27th, 2014, Shorty_CA added the following:

Both of my orders finally arrived today. The packaging was decent and the rose has a few health leaves although it's only in a 3 inch pot. The bulbs are only about 1/2 inch in diameter and I won't have to worry about digging any deep holes to plant them.

The temps here today are a chilly 68 by native Californian's standards but at least it's not too cold to get everything planted.
Positive beckashoe
Cumming, IA
March 21, 2014
I ordered 3 Itoh Lollipop peonies on 2-15-14, they were shipped 3-18-14, and arrived today 3-21-14. The foliage is 14"+/- tall and full. The roots are maxing out of their 2" pots and healthy and full so I potted them up and have them under lights, there was no wilting nor bruising or breakage of the stems and leaves. I am very happy with my purchase. I will try to post a picture in my file.
Negative MartyBacon
Warwick, NY (Zone 6a)
March 14, 2014
Just got a heads-up note from them, they shipped hibiscus that will arrive by US mail next week.

It was 12 degrees last night. Our ground is like concrete, most of the garden is under 8 or more inches of ice/snowpack..

I am furious.
Negative Bill_Novak
Schenectady, NY
March 11, 2014
Michigan Bulb sells or shares customer information with a spammer sister company. If you do business with them, expect to receive unsolicited commercial e-mail several times a week. I first complained about this on their Facebook page and they responded by shutting down the Facebook page instead of properly keeping customer information private.
Positive reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
March 5, 2014
I have been dealing with Michigan Bulb for over 35 years. In the beginning, they were pretty good. I usually got what I wanted and it grew. Then, within the past 10 years or so, they began declining. Sending out obviously 1 or 2 year old bagged bulbs and rhizomes whether rotted or not, and visibly dried and dead plants that had to be that way when they shipped. 3 years ago, I would have put them in the same category as all those numerous and pitiful Jung's-owned companies out of Bloomfield, IL. I stopped doing business with them. I decided to order again this year. I got 2 of my ITOH peonies on 3/1/14 and several other herbaceous peonies that were good sized, green, at least 4-5 eyes and had leaves and signs of life everywhere. I much prefer receiving them this way rather than getting what looks like a dead piece of dog-poop and I have to spend months waiting and convincing them that it was not "dormant" but was dead when I received it. On my recent order, they did adjust their delivery schedule once, but it was only a week, and they kept me informed. The price I paid for ITOH peonies with their 50% discount was at least a third cheaper than the next best price I could find. And these are healthy thriving plants, albeit a little small. Nonetheless, a fair offer for what I paid, very healthy, and I'm starting to see signs of life again at Michigan Bulb! I'm back, too, MB! For as long as you are! Thanks so much! People are going to notice and use you again!
Positive Sherilou
Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b)
February 22, 2014
Posted on February 8, 2014, updated February 22, 2014
Great sale prices on plants and shipping and they offer a free gift. They return emails quickly... great customer service.
On February 22nd, 2014, Sherilou added the following:

The plants and roots they sent are so incredibly healthy. I'm so happy. It really beats running around to all the nursery departments, trying to find what I want. I love that they sent my plants to me at the end of February... perfect for my garden zone. Fast delivery, too. I will place another order, with Michigan Bulb, for sure. :) Thank you!
Positive starvue3
Park Forest Village, PA
January 29, 2014
I don't usually write online reviews, but in this case I feel like I want to give this company some positive feedback because in my experience they've improved in the last year. I first started ordering plants and bulbs online a few years back when I moved to a house in the suburbs (in central PA) from a city apartment. At that time, the items I ordered from Michigan Bulb either ended up being out of stock by the time they got to my order, or for whatever reason (possibly my own fault as a novice gardener - which I still am), the plants didn't thrive. (I don't think I ordered actual bulbs from them.) However, in the past year or so, I've ordered a number of items (almost all plants, not bulbs), and have been really pleased with the quality of the items, especially because their prices seem a bit lower than some of the other big companies offer for the same exact products online. My only complaint would be the number of emails I receive, and that's because of my weak willpower with regard to spending money. I do enjoy all of the print catalogs I receive from the various garden companies. Also, all the companies I order from have an uncanny sense of timing such that my plants generally arrive the day (and since I work every day, it's the evening) before I'm going on vacation.
Company representative comment on February 3, 2014:
On Feb 3, 2014 11:49 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you so much for your wonderful post about our company. Happy Gardening to you!

Positive sevensef
Yorktown, VA (Zone 7b)
January 18, 2014
I ordered 2 Ruby Red Dwarf Pie Cherry trees and a Dwarf Meyer Lemon tree last spring. All 3 grew beautifully! Lots of leaves and happy little plants (too young for fruit just yet). I also ordered Virginia Bluebells that didn't live, but tis gardening, some things work and some don't. Good thing those were the cheapest items in my order. ;) Granted, the prices at Michigan Bulb are really reasonable for everything I ordered!
Company representative comment on January 22, 2014:
On Jan 22, 2014 12:36 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to post. If you ever have any problems please just let us know and we will be happy to help.

Negative Bill2462
Bedford, OH
December 19, 2013
I placed an order with Michigan Bulb and two years later started getting multiple marketing e-mails a week from their sister company. When I complained, I was told it would take 6 weeks to get off their email list. When I place an order, I assume that ALL of my information is confidential. If it's not, I go shop somewhere else. I wrote about my experience on their Facebook page and got a reply from an employee posing as just another gardener telling me I was over reacting. Less than a month later they took down the Facebook page to prevent other people from learning that doing business with MB will get you spammed. In addition, the plants were EXTREMELY small and very few of them survived. The few that did spent three years in a pot to get them to a reasonable size to go into the ground.

Company representative comment on January 2, 2014:
On Jan 2, 2014 12:02 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your posting. I apologize for the problems you had with our emails and our plants. I will have one of our customer service representatives contact you about your plants and to make sure you are opted out of our system.

Negative LoreeMarcia
Madison, WI
November 14, 2013
I have never been so unhappy with a company. I have had numerous problems with my orders. The first time I ordered in late spring, I was sent a totally different item in my box than what I ordered. I gave them a pass. Things happen. I was eventually sent the right order months later. They were the smallest sedum plants ever. Not worth the money paid. But, I gave them another try. I ordered some bulbs in early August and some sedum. Everything I actually received was sent in different boxes. Very weird. The sedum I ordered, after two months or more of waiting, was all of a sudden "Out of Stock". Last week, I was again sent a totally wrong item. I ordered a very special tulip bulb(again, in August). I think a tulip bulb could have been sent to Wisconsin a lot earlier than the second week of November. With both wrong orders, the plants sent were very generic plants with product numbers that were not even close so they could not of both been human error of being off a number. And, both times I could not even find the wrong items sent on their website so I was obviously sent any old thing lying around. I really feel this company sticks wrong things in your box in the hope you don't notice. Something is off with this company. The customer service people are nice, but they must get tired of dealing with unhappy people. The excuse for the not shipped sedum was something along the lines that the stock was not up to their shipping standards and they didn't have enough good plants to send out. So, I am suppose to believe that enough people ordered this item before me that when they got to my order (again, I can't stress enough we are talking over two months later) that company finally found out they didn't have any for me. It makes no sense. I am generally not a review writer. But, I am pursuing all options to let people know not to order from this company. Do not be taken in by their half off your order coupon. You end up ordering enough to make the amount and then only get the most common things in your order. That plants are Ok but not large. I really think there is something off here.
Company representative comment on November 16, 2013:
On Nov 16, 2013 12:54 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

We appreciate you letting us know about the problem you had with your order. We always want to make sure our customers are happy with their purchase. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for account information.Our value-sized plants are grown under carefully controlled conditions and they do not suffer from transplant shock and are easy to plant.

Positive BILL6267
Sparta, MO
November 8, 2013
very fast shipping. Bulbs look very healthy. very pleased
On Nov 15, 2013 4:42 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for letting us know. Happy Gardening!

Positive NevaJones
Challis, ID
October 27, 2013
All I have received so far from Michigan Bulb have been beautiful. One plant was broken and when I called them ,customer service was very polite,and they sent a replacement promptly.I am very happy with them. Thanks for listening. NEVA
On Nov 15, 2013 4:44 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. If you ever need help with anything just let us know.

Negative DanSpitz_Guitar
Bellport, NY
October 26, 2013
Don't waste your time with this company, unless you want to drive yourself insane!

I placed 2 orders in mid-September for shrubs and perennials with Michigan Bulb...I was all excited to get the items and could barely wait to get them in the mail...in the pictures on their website, the plants looked so awesome...I ordered Big Daddy Hydrangeas, Bee Balm, Nicky Phlox, and more...I am in the northeast and so I wanted to get these planted reasonable soon, before the first frost....After I placed the order, I noticed that in my invoice it stated that the items would ship out in the beginning of October and some at the end of October....I was a little dismayed and puzzled why they would take so long to even ship out....(because, meanwhile, I ordered some perennials from a different company, and received those in about 5 days)...after about 3 weeks of waiting, I decided to call Michigan Bulb and ask "What's the holdup?"....I didn't want to hear anything about "we'll be shipping at the correct time for your zone"....that's nonsense; the other companies I ordered from shipped healthy perennials to me immediately, and the longer that I would wait to get these, the greater the chance of us getting a frost, so I wanted them asap....but before I called them, I did some research on Michigan Bulb, and realized that I had just made purchases at a real DUD of a company; now I was stuck in the middle of a transaction...so I called them and told them I wanted to cancel both of my orders....(actually, the 2nd order was now "delayed" and wasn't scheduled to arrive until around Thanksgiving, or who knows when, actually; it probably would have been delayed again)....so when I called them, they allowed me to cancel the 2nd order, but they said the 1st order was "being processed" and I couldn't cancel until I received the items...the only decent thing I can say is that the phone reps I dealt with did not give me a hard time about cancelling...they must be used to cancels, by now....

So, about 10 days later I received the Purple Bee Balm that I ordered, and it was hysterical what they sent to me...the soil that the Bee Balm came in was barely enough to fill up two thimbles, that's it, and a little miniscule sprout was sticking out of it....practically a microsopic plant...this is what I waited 3 weeks for? And the bulbs I ordered were about the size of peanuts...."Can you spare it?", I thought.....

So, AVOID Michigan Bulb at all costs...what a dud...go with Dave's Top 30 Watchdog retailers; I did and I was SO much happier...if you use a Top 30 or other highly rated company, you'll get nice-sized, healthy plants, and in a timely fashion.....if you use Michigan Bulb, beware, here are the things you will be faced with:

1. You will order an item, and then be prepared for WEEKS before they even consider shipping them...
2. Further delays in any order that you place; sometimes for months....
3. If you happen to receive any perennials, you might as well put away the shovel, and get your kitchen teaspoon out to dig the hole for them...they will be miniscule....

I don't know how they stay in business....
Company representative comment on November 16, 2013:
On Nov 16, 2013 1:58 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for the problems you had with your order. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and take care of this for you.

Neutral safetypro
Meridian, ID
October 5, 2013
We ordered several hundred dollars worth of bulbs and other items including a bulb planter. For some reason, they think I don't need the bulb planter until the last of the bulbs is shipped. Go figure. Otherwise I am pleased at this point with everything else and the timing of the deliveries.
On Nov 15, 2013 4:42 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your feedback, we always appreciate hearing from our customers.

Positive phunyfarm
Maysville, GA
August 26, 2013
Have several orders in.
Customer service is great.
On line Chat service is quick & easy.
Products are of good quality and shipped in a timely manner.
Packaging is good.
Company representative comment on September 12, 2013:
On Sep 12, 2013 10:08 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your wonderful review. Happy Gardening!

Positive eileenyu
Evanston, IL
August 2, 2013
I only made a small order because of all the negative comments from other reviews, but overall I was satisfied. Although I had to wait quite a while to receive my plants, I found the customer service to be great. I ordered 2 Passion flower vines, 3 geraniums and 3 Hellebores. I had a few problems such as
1. Order for Hellebore cancelled without notifying me (I found out when I logged into my account)
2. Repeated delays in shipping plants - each plant was shipped separately over a period of 6-8 weeks. I really was afraid they would try to ship in the heat of summer.
3. The passion flower vines I received did not look too healthy and were in the smallest pots I have ever seen, with just a couple of roots and maybe 5-6 leaves. A couple leaves were stapled to the support stake. However, they were $3.00 each so you get what you pay for and they were well packed. After planting, one promptly lost all its leaves. The other passion flower is growing slowly - hope it gets strong enough to survive the winter
4. Really don't like that they charge your credit card as soon as your order is placed then take weeks to ship.

On the positive side:
1. Customer service responded within 24 hrs of my emails and helped to expedite shipment
2. Customer service issued a refund back to may credit card for the Hellebores
3. When I contacted customer service (within 30 days) that one passion flower died, they sent me a refund check for that, too. For a $32 order, I got a $21 refund. Overall, I got 5 plants out of my 8 plant order. The "dead" passion flower eventually started to grow after a couple of months
4. The geraniums were huge healthy bareroots. Two of them grew right away (no blooms this season) and the third has put out several leaves after about 6 weeks.

I just placed another order for this fall, hoping I will get everything. They do have some well-priced unusual plants and coupons. I am trying more bare root plants since they were so healthy. Would advise not placing a huge order initially, till you get used to how they operate. It can be quite frustrating wondering where your order is. Also have to reiterate their customer service reps were great.

Company representative comment on August 6, 2013:
On Aug 6, 2013 4:08 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for any problems you had with your order or your plants. Please let us know if you need any replacements and we will be happy to take care of this for you.

Positive saradus
Maple Park, IL
August 2, 2013
Posted on May 29, 2013, updated August 2, 2013
I'm a novice gardener and this is my second year planting a garden and flower beds. I received a catalog from Michigan Bulb in February and after some speculation I placed a large order in the Spring. I was aware (thanks to information in the catalog) that the plants would be tiny and that the order would be shipped when my zone had opened. Michigan Bulb was very good about sending me emails to update me on the status of the order and expected delivery time. My order arrived two weeks ago and all of the plants and bulbs were in good shape. So far so good, they are thriving. One item was not available and Michigan Bulb contacted me and gave me a refund and I was able to order another plant in it's place. I am very pleased and I have placed a second order. I appreciate the affordability, customer service, and quality of plants from Michigan Bulb.
On August 2nd, 2013, saradus added the following:

Update 8/2/13 - It's the middle of the summer here in Illinois, and all of the plants are healthy and strong. Even one of the double mock orange shrubs, which my husband had accidentally plowed down with the lawnmower (oops), has growth and is expected to survive. Granted, with the exception of the lilies and flowers in the pre-planned butterfly garden, most of the plants are still on the small side. But they are young and healthy and should continue to fill out into the next couple of years.

I had a minor issue with a large order that I had placed - it's a long story, but basically an item ended up being out of stock, and my credit card was refunded that particular item. Then a few weeks later I received a bill in the mail that stated that I was delinquent on a payment. I was confused as I had paid up front for all of my orders, and I called customer service. To their credit, the issue was resolved and I did not owe anything, it was a misunderstanding. Michigan Bulb frequently offers specials and I had used a coupon that was essentially half off my order. When the item was out of stock, the coupon was removed from my order, and although they had initially refunded me it showed that I owed money because the coupon was not applied to the rest of my paid order. (Kind of confusing!) Anyhow, if you use a coupon be aware of this, and I suggest that after placing an order, if an item becomes out of stock, request a comparable replacement item so that you do not lose the coupon. Guess I'm on a bit of a learning curve :)

I think this is a great company and I have a fall bulb order coming and I'll continue to update as my plants grow. I will continue to order - a happy, satisfied customer here.
Company representative comment on May 30, 2013:
On May 30, 2013 11:31 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

We really appreciate your feedback about our company. Thank you and enjoy your garden!

Positive mikerotell
Franklin Park, NJ
July 30, 2013
Posted on July 30, 2013, updated July 30, 2013
Posted on October 22, 2012, updated July 30, 2013
So I couldn't resist the $20 coupon and ordered a few things for the heck of it not anticipating much and for the most part I got what I expected, but overall not horrible and to be honest there were some pleasant surprises. The details.....

First, I give MB kudos for their communication emails. I received a prompt e-mail acknowledging my order. A second email advised my order would be delayed about a week and finally a third e-mail advising I would receive my order between 10/6 and 10/8. Much to my surprise my order was received promptly on 10/8. No back orders and everything was in stock. Nice job.

Now for the plants. I ordered 3 yellow stargazer lilies, 3 fern leaf bleeding hearts, 3 liriope, 1 spiritual corridor day lily (strange name) and 25 glory of the snow (bulbs).

The lilies were definitely on the small side but for the most part were healthy and firm with the exception of one which appeared to have some soft spots. Because of the smallish size I'm not expecting much in the way of bloom next summer. They'll clearly need a few years to reach their full potential.

The daylily was a small division as expected with a little bit of green growth but again, although small the roots appeared firm and healthy. Daylilies are tough and I expect there is no reason why it won't continue to increase in size over the years.

The liriope was somewhat of a disappointment. The small root divisions were dried and one had absolutely no roots at all. They all had some green growth however so I'm staying positive.

The glory of the snow were miniscule. Yes, I know they are "minor" bulbs and are generally small but these were tiny, tiny, tiny. I would be very surprised to see these bloom this spring. That being said all 25 of them were firm and healthy so time will tell.

The bleeding hearts were the bright spot. Although bare root (as were all the perennials) the were sturdy multi-eye divisions with a nice root system. I expect these will do well and my even bloom next year.

I planted all promptly and and threw in a little bonemeal to help the bulbs along, watered in and mulched well to help get them through the winter. With a little coddling I think the majority will make it. Overall I would say that I got what I paid for so I can't complain.Am I expecting glorious blooms next spring/summer? No, not really. To be sure, the plants were way small and will need some time to establish but I was pleased with the health of pretty much all so there's no reason to believe they won't grow. I believe the price was commensurate with the size of the plants, low price = small stock, that's reality no matter who you're dealing with. For now I'm giving MB a positive rating since I was impressed with the communication, timely shipping and overall health of the plants.
On July 30th, 2013, mikerotell added the following:

On July 30th, 2013, mikerotell added the following:

So here we are 9 months later. How did MB's plants do? Overall I'm still pleased. See some of the results for yourself...

The fernleaf bleeding hearts exploded into growth this spring and have been blooming non stop. This picture was taken in late spring, they're nearly twice the size now. They appear to be seed grown however and not divisions of named varieties. There is variation in the leaf and flower color, some of the flowers being quite pale.That would be my only complaint here:

[HYPERLINK@mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com]

The Spiritual Corridor daylily bloomed as well and I must say quite beautiful. It has also increased in size:

[HYPERLINK@mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com]

Lastly, here is a pic of the yellow stargazer. Out of 3 bulbs 2 actually grew. I expected this as one of the bulbs was very soft when received. Between the two that lived there were about 6 flower buds in all however all the buds except 1 turned brown and died before opening. I hope these are not virus infected. Perhaps these will do better next year. At least I got to see what it looked like!!:

[HYPERLINK@mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com]

Although I didn't take pics of the glory of the snow they all bloomed. The disappointment remains the liriope. While they are all alive ( so I can't really complain) they are very tiny and growing very slowly.

I am a firm believer in fall planting whenever possible. It gives plants several months to establish before hot weather sets in. Just because it may be cold out doesn't mean that the roots aren't growing and establishing. Also, mailorder nurseries are generally not as busy in the fall which results in better service. Overall I feel that I got my money's worth and I am considering placing another order this fall.

Company representative comment on November 2, 2012:
On Nov 2, 2012 9:58 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you very much for your posting. We appreciate you letting us know about your order. Happy Gardening!

Positive bluesox
Humble, TX
July 11, 2013
Posted on July 2, 2013, updated July 11, 2013
Posted on May 21, 2013, updated July 2, 2013
Posted on May 10, 2013, updated May 21, 2013
I ordered in April and my expected ship date has now been pushed back to sometime in late May or the first half of June.

I think the plants will be nice additions to my garden if they arrive in a healthy condition.

My suggestion to Michigan Bulb would be to make it clear which plants are out of stock. I might have ordered these specimens anyway, and would have appreciated the opportunity to make an informed decision. At this point, I will wait and hope for the best.

I will update this comment and rating when the plants arrive.
On May 21st, 2013, bluesox added the following:

A very nice customer service rep contacted me and has indicated that she asked the warehouse to ship my items right away. God bless her.

The estimated ship date on the Order Status site is listed as anytime between June 4 and June 25, but that doesn't seem to mean much, since both dates automatically move back by one day on a daily basis.
On July 2nd, 2013, bluesox changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I received my order in two shipments in June. I ordered unusual varieties of fairly common plants, and had begun to despair that they would ever be delivered.

The plants arrived in good condition as bare root rhizomes or bulbs. I was surprised by how quickly they sprouted after planting (within days)!

I am pleased with my purchases and looking forward to watching them grow. They are unusual varieties of fairly common plants, and complete a garden design for a new flower bed in my back yard.

I would advise anyone ordering to allow two months for delivery to avoid disappointment. For me it was worth the wait.

On July 11th, 2013, bluesox added the following:

All 5 plants are doing nicely.
Company representative comment on May 11, 2013:
On May 11, 2013 10:42 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

Thank you for your feedback. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and check on the status of your order for you.

Negative gardennovice789
Lakewood, OH
July 9, 2013
I ordered a shade garden and a lavender plant, and was to receive a mixed ranculus at no charge. I monitored the anticipated shipping date on line, and it kept changing. I also noticed one day that the shade garden was totally missing from the order. Completely dropped. I emailed Michigan Bulb and learned that due to popular demand, the shade garden was no longer available. They mentioned that they had credited my credit card for the cost of the shade garden. Somehow, their system was not set up to let me know, I had to ask. I then received an email last night that the mixed ranculus was no longer available. Michigan Bulb really needs to update their computer system to real time so that customers don't have the option of ordering plants that, in reality, cannot be shipped. I hope the little lavender plant makes it. I won't be ordering from them again. There must be better companies out there.
Company representative comment on July 11, 2013:
On Jul 11, 2013 9:39 AM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

I apologize for the problems you have had with your order. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and assist you in resolving this issue.

Negative alidab
Eugene, OR
July 3, 2013
10 weeks ago I placed an order with Michigan Bulb. Finally about 7 weeks later, I received a partial order. The plants looked dead but I followed directions and placed them in soil and watered. All but 2 began to grow.

I started to wonder about the rest of my order. I checked on line and saw that it was still delayed. I checked every week or so, even called once. They were very nice and gave me a projected mailing date. But the date went by and no plants.

Finally, I noticed a credit from Michigan Bulb on my credit card. I was relieved. I checked on line once again and their website said the remainder of my order was cancelled.

I checked my email to see if there was a courtesy notice alerting me to the cancellation. No notice at all. How curious!?!

I have removed myself from their mailing list and want nothing more to do with them. Customer service and good communication are so important but they have definitely missed this step.
Company representative comment on July 5, 2013:
On Jul 5, 2013 2:12 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

I apologize for the problems with your order and the cancellation. One of our customer service representatives will contact your for your account information and take care of this for you.

Negative newsom20
Xenia, OH
July 2, 2013
I ordered at least a hundred dollars worth of flowers from Michigan bulb to revitalize my Ohio garden which had fallen on hard times while I lived in NC for ten years. I was excited to get back into gardening after living in a condo for that amount of time. The problem began when I ordered first in February and after I had paid received notice that my plants would be delivered in May! I called and was told that because of n unusually cold spring they were having trouble filling orders. I suggested they not advertise things then. They expedited my order and things began to arrive in early April. Most of the plants were fine and are growing well, but the poppies and fringe daisies they sent were rotted and slimy. They replaced them with a gift certificate for more plants. I ordered three foxglove, one grass plant, coral bells and mercury rising coreopsis. The coral bells shipping estimate is September! The other plants came in waves. The foxglove looks nothing like any foxglove I have ever seen , spindly, thin leaves with brown tips that looked wilted. Then a week later the coreopsis came. It was two inches tall and had not one leaf on it. These were supposed to be plants mind you, not roots or bulbs. The coreopsis looked as if someone had trimmed off the stems to a uniform height to try to make it look like a viable plant. I have planted the foxglove, but have no hope that it will ever bloom this year, probably will have a hard time developing appropriate foliage as my established foxglove have let alone blooming. I have made my last order from MIchigan Bulb . They have some serious product, shipping and service issues and it is too difficult to wait, wait and then get a plant that would make Charlie Brown's tree look like a blue spruce!
Company representative comment on July 5, 2013:
On Jul 5, 2013 2:02 PM, Michigan Bulb responded with:

I apologize for the problems you have had with your plants. One of our customer service representatives will contact you for your account information and take care of this for you.