The scoop on 'Big Horse Creek Farm'

Big Horse Creek Farm

Lansing, North Carolina 28643 (United States)

Comments:

Positive irmaly
boone, NC (Zone 5b)
February 3, 2014
There should be button even higher than "positive" for places like this one. I live a county over from BHC. We have an annual community plant sale every year and we always feature special plants/trees that are historically important to our county or region. Last year we learned of an old apple tree (now lost to the orchard) reportedly identified and "saved" many moons ago in Inadene Hampton's apple orchard here in our county. We went in high gear searching to find where we could buy these trees. Of course there are none available anywhere in the world commercially. Then we found BHC. We contracted with BHC to propagate this tree as well as 4 other historic mountain cultivars for our sale. We will be selling those this year. At last year's sale, we set the stage by having Suzanne and Ron attend our sale with 25 or so ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL 2 year old apple trees, their reference books, and their extensive knowledge. The trees were sold in a flash. And why wouldn't they be: they were rare, beautiful, propagated with loving care, and a real bargain to boot. I cannot imagine buying an apple tree from anywhere else. If you have even a remote interest in apple trees or even just in plant history, you should check out their website. It doesn't get any better than this.
Positive kc2011
Elkin, NC
April 18, 2013
LOVE This company! They have great trees and even better customer service! We are starting our apple orchard with their antique varieties! Awesome to work with and very helpful! Such wonderfully complete knowledge! Always willing to give a suggestion or help you find info! Great website as well! They also sell at farmer's markets if you dont have a specific variety in mind. Wish they had peaches and pears as well - I would sure get them from Ron and Suzanne!! I will keep ordering from them until I have filled up my space!
Positive europa59
Huntsville, AL
October 10, 2012
I'm crazy about apples and apple trees. This is the BEST place I've found to get my trees. When I discovered Big Horse Creek, I was over the moon, but I was also cautious; how many places are there out there that offer custom-grafted apple trees? You can count them on the fingers of one hand. In addition, BHC offers hundreds of heirloom varieties and they are reasonably priced. We ordered six trees to start, all grafted on a rootstock that will work well in my soil and orchard, and the next fall they all arrived in excellent condition and all but one has thrived. I absolutely LOVE this company -the trees and the customer service can't be beat. They will be getting at least one more large order from us as we finish planting our orchard

One last note: I'm glad to see they are now offering a selection of already grafted trees in the fall. Not everyone is willing to wait a year to get their trees, and I think this will help them expand their business quite a bit!
Positive edenplace
Trout, LA
March 7, 2011
My order for 10 apple trees from Ron & Suzanne was received in March of 2010. They arrived in good shape and survived a dry summer and a colder than normal winter. R & S were very helpful in placing the order and they produce a quality product.
Last week I placed another order for a few trees for fall delivery.
Positive AxillaryBud
Thousand Oaks, CA
February 12, 2011
Can't add much to what everyone has said, except a personal note: Ron and Suzanne Joyner occupy a very special place in my California orchard's history. After I consulted with the "Dean of Southern pomology," Lee Calhoun, about specific varieties, they assisted me by grafting more than a dozen trees as a memorial to my parents and their forebears. The trees were varieties from the five Southern states from which my ancestors hailed. When I see my young son enjoying the very same "Cotton Sweet" or "Hollow Log" apple that his great-great-grandfathers ate as kids, it's a wonderful feeling. Big Horse Creek Farm is in a league by itself in terms of varieties, offering more than 350 kinds of apple trees, and counting. Of course, some folks don't want a small grafted whip that will take an extra year to get up to speed. Then again, some folks will never have the pleasure of biting into a "Hall," an "Aunt Rachel," or a "Kinnaird's Choice" apple! What can I say? I recommend everyone get some deliciously obscure varieties custom grafted on the rootstock that's best for your region, and spice up your life! Start by reading their extensive Apple Variety Descriptions (link on their homepage). Probably the best on the internet.
Positive wrenwillow
Zionville, NC
May 24, 2009
I live in the next county over from Big Horse Creek Farm in the NC mountains. I have had the honor to buy 5 apple trees from Ron and Suzanne since the late '90's. I say "honor" because they are unknown and under appreciated leaders in saving so many varieties of apple trees/apples! Half the fun of buying from Big Horse Creek Farm was deciding which trees to buy; it is actually interesting to read the histories and characteristics of each variety. Additional information is stated clearly and obviously from experience. When you see the grafts, you will understand that you have found someone who performs each one with a precise and gentle hand - and you do not need to have grafted to appreciate the beauty of it. You will know you are doing business with people who love to save The Real Apples! The trees are in excellent condition - always! I am very pleased with the timing of each planting and the growth of each tree. And should you have a question, they respond with professional care. Any price paid is more than fair - you are buying a priceless treasure, your own Real Apples! You will fully understand this when you taste one...and remember its history! And no, I am not a relative. Just a very pleased customer who takes heirloom anything and the "freedom to plant" very seriously!
Positive Misterbaby
May 2, 2009
One can be absolutely confident about trading with this company. I ordered five varieties of apples from them last fall. All transplanted successfully, and four of the five actually fruited this spring! They have an extensive selection of exotically antique scions, many of which are not available elsewhere. Their prices are reasonable and the service is outstanding. They are passionate about their work, and the quality shows. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Positive BOBSTOCKI
Nordeast,Minneapolis, MN (Zone 4a)
December 4, 2008
I ORDERED A TOTAL OF 7 TREES THIS YEAR !! THEY ARE GREAT LOOKING TREES ,THEY HAVE A SUPER SELECTION OF TREES & ROOTSTOCK. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM. COMMUNICATION WITH THE COMPANY WAS A BREEZE. AND I WILL BE BUYING FROM AGAIN NEXT YEAR. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING.
Positive hewelch
Honea Path, SC
December 26, 2006
I ordered 10 heirloom apple trees from this company 2 years ago. They were one year old trees and arrived in very good shape and were very healthy. They had lots of roots and were packed in moist packaging material with support. 2 years later they are all doing very well. The owner of the company responded to my questions about the varieties I had chosen and was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this company to anyone interested in growing heirloom apples. They have a huge selection to choose from and if they don't have what you want in their current year's stock they will custom graft one for you.
Positive JohnG_Cincy
Mason, OH
December 5, 2006
Ordered 3 heirloom apple trees, arrived on time,
easy payment arrangement, good communication by e-mail,
excellent one season trees - good roots, healthy trees,
in great dormant conditions....
Positive chickenman
Somerset, PA
October 20, 2006
Nicely rooted, healthy trees! The packaging was excellent as well! I'll use them again in a heartbeat.
Positive rmjchas
Farmville, VA
October 31, 2005
I ordered 6 trees on Bud.9 rootstock. I received trees packed in damp mulch in a large waterproof paper bag with some reinforcing sticks tied to the trees. The trees were all 32-36 inches tall with excellent root systems. One of my original selections for an early-bearing tree did not work out, and the owners emailed and offered several other early-bearing varieties as a substitute.

These folks were easy to work with, and delivered exactly what they promised. Their shipping/handling is a little high given how they shipped the order--but given the quality of the trees I can handle that! I would have no problem ordering from them again!

Positive VA_Gardener
Glen Allen, VA
December 24, 2004
Ordered and received 6 different hard to find antique apple trees grafted on Bud 9 rootstock. Trees were of excellent quality. Root structure was very large and with many small roots. Trees were 2 to 3 feet tall when planted. I highly recomend this company to any serious gardener.
Positive McMahon
November 3, 2003
I purchased 2 Abram from Big Horse Creek Farm last fall, and they arrived better packed and in better shape than any tree I ever ordered through the mail. They went from dormant 2'+ sticks to head-high trees very quickly this season. I just recieved 4 more trees today, and they looked even better than the first ones, if that's possible! The roots are fresh and abunbant, while the buds are tight and full, ready for next spring. I would recommend them to anybody wanting to try heirloom apples who doesn't want to spend a lot of time wondering "will they survive?" - they will!
Positive OldGrove
November 3, 2003
Ron and Suzanne at Big Horse Creek Farm care very much about their trees and their customers. With this next planting, nearly half my orchard will have custom grafted trees from them. I highly recommend their products and their service. OldGrove
Positive pickyplanter
Decatur, TN
August 29, 2003
Trees are only 1 year old but the root system is huge and shipped moist not dry. I ordered 3 three trees last year and have 4 custom grafted trees on order for this year.
Positive krbaylor
December 24, 2002
I ordered four antique apple varieties from them in mid-November 2002. Two weeks later, just as promised, they arrived in the mail. They were in terrific shape, with the best developed root systems I have ever seen! I am looking forward to doing business with this company again in 2003. I highly recommend this company to you. - RB, Arlington, VA.