Calling all writers, especially those who wax poetic! If you have a way with words, here's your chance to put pen to paper and try your hand at writing an award-winning piece for us. Find all the details on our contest page.

The scoop on 'Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company'

Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company

Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company has 403 products listed in PlantScout.

Louisiana, Missouri 63353-7800 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-325-4180

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company specializes in:

Company Comment, posted on January 28, 2016:
Greetings! Please feel welcome to post here knowing that we take ALL reviews to heart. Positive, Neutral, or Negative -- your feedback provides us with an opportunity to continue with what we do well and improve our service and your experience going forward.

If you have not done so already, please connect with our customer support team (800.325.4180) so that we know first-hand about your experience with our products and service.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Neutral bent3well
Birmingham, AL
April 28, 2017
My experience with Stark Bros. is mixed.

I believe they have some of the best customer service you can find.

However, they are terrible at estimating delivery dates. I am sure they are working toward a solution, but my patience was worn out after the third time I called their support line. I think I made my 6th call in two months today.

Every time I called, the service rep was very cordial and helpful. What they told me about delivery expectations rarely actually happened, but I do feel they made concessions to make things right. I doubt I'll make another purchase with them, but they will work with you if you treat them kindly.

I would suggest picking what you want and then call them to split it into different shipments. I recommend asking for Debbie B. when you do call. She was very helpful and understanding when I called today.

Fingers crossed that the remainder of my order arrives next week!
Positive Brad_F
Martin, MI (Zone 6a)
April 27, 2017
I have ordered 2 times from Stark Brothers and both times have been a great experience. The first time was years ago, I believe 2 Cherry and 2 Pear trees. I do not live at the residence that they were planted anymore, but I do drive by occasionally and they are still beautiful trees!

Last year I ordered 3 PawPaw trees and 4 Kiwi vines. The male Kiwi came DOA and looked it, I called CS and they asked me to plant it anyways and let it sit for 3-4 weeks. I gave it 4 and all that was left was some shriveled roots. I called CS back and the person I talked to was hesitant to believe me, I even offered to take a photo of the dead one that was in a row along with 3 other healthy, growing vines. She then agreed to send another one out, and it arrived much healthier than the first. Now I have an entire arbor started with Kiwi vines that all budded and leafed beautifully this spring. The PawPaw trees were great, but they do not look like they survived the winter, I am giving them more time, but I do not have good luck at all with the PawPaw, not the first that have died on my watch.

I am looking forward to ordering some Goji berry bushes from them later this spring after I prep the area and move some lily plants to a new location.
Company representative comment on April 27, 2017:
On Apr 27, 2017 12:18 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We appreciate your positive review. We love being your partner in growing your own legacy and are honored that you select us time and time again.

If you think you’re Pawpaw is dead we suggest that you do a scratch test. Try scratching the trunk or main stem with your thumbnail. If the underlying tissue is greenish, the tree or plant is still alive. At this point, it should still grow. If it is dry and brownish, it has died.​ If it has died, please contact customer support at 800.325.4180.

Thank you so much! We look forward to continuing to work with you for years to come.

Neutral GardenManDonald
GLENSHAW, PA (Zone 5a)
April 21, 2017
I ordered 4 fruit trees and they arrived in a box with the packing around the roots all dried up. Didn't have high hopes but soaked the roots and planted anyway. Three of the trees have sprouted tiny leaves so they appear to be alive. And the size of the trees is fine.That's why the rating is neutral.

Company representative comment on April 24, 2017:
On Apr 24, 2017 3:22 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your honest review and rating us at a Neutral. Bare root trees can dry out a little during transit. This is why we recommend that you allow your tree’s to soak in water an hour or two before planting. We thank you very much for taking the proper steps and ensuring your success. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact customer support at 800.325.4180.

Negative Ben_H
Freeport, IL
April 20, 2017
I have placed a few orders with StarkBros in the past. All of the products I have received so far have been fairly high quality, and arrived in excellent condition. Their Refund & Return policy looks great, but I have not had to use it yet.

Unfortunately, my recent (larger) orders with this company have not been proceeding smoothly, and I am now realizing that they have very poor customer service:

1. Shipping estimates are so misleading that it would be better if they did not provide them. Delays are understandable; however, the shipping dates for some of my orders have repeatedly arrived and were then pushed back by only a couple of days. This cycle has repeated over 10 times on one order. I have spent the last three weeks planning my life around the arrival of a shipment that I'm beginning to suspect may never arrive.

I sent an email to the company recommending they allow customers to select "No ship" dates for online orders. I assume it would greatly reduce the load on their customer support team if people weren't calling to make sure their unexpectedly delayed orders weren't now going to arrive while they are unavailable. Their website already seems superior to their competitors' from a usability and technical standpoint, so I assume they are capable of adding this feature.

2. Their Order & Shipping Policies page states "For products purchased online, customers are not charged until the order has shipped." They apparently do not comply with this policy. Within the past two weeks, I have been charged roughly $1000 for items that have not yet shipped.

They should either update their policy or their payment process, so they align.

3. Orders are not handled on a "First come, first served" basis. I placed an order for a gift for someone in a colder zone than mine, and it shipped immediately, over a week ago. The exact same items in that order were also on an order that I placed months earlier, but nothing has not shipped yet. I selected the option for my order to be split, but they are apparently holding it for some others items in the order.

It may be wise for customers to place multiple small orders rather than one larger order if they hope to minimize long shipping delays and cancellation of items by StarkBros.

4. I recently spent a lot of time on the phone in hopes of contacting them to avoid shipment while I was out of town. After 30 minutes on hold, an automated message told me that I was 9th in line. I gave up, and sent them an email along with my order information instead. It is a week later, but I never received a response. Their customer service department is not sufficiently equipped to deal with the problems their customers are currently having with them.

I hope that ordering from StarkBros does not result in me losing an entire year of growing. I am beginning to wonder if I should cancel everything and place an order with another vendor before it's too late.
Company representative comment on April 24, 2017:
On Apr 24, 2017 3:53 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We are very sorry to hear that you have had troubles with your larger orders and with the level of customer service you have received. We appreciate your feedback regarding all of the topics you have brought to our attention. We take ALL reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward. This spring has been an unexpected, challenging season on all levels. Our hold times have been high on the phones, we have experienced delays with responding to emails and our orders normally are charged and shipped the same day but we have fallen behind. We seriously appreciate our customers patience and understanding and hope that you not lose faith in our ability to be your partner in growing your own legacy. We completely understand your frustration and disappointment as we are just as disappointed.

As a token of our apology, we will be refunding you any shipping fees that you were charged and we would like to offer you free shipping on your next order with us. Your account has been noted by customer support.

Negative cluster
new freedom pa,
United States
April 20, 2017
placed an order in January 2017 . Now April, 11 days prior to ship date I called and left a voice message. 4 days later, still waiting. when calling the company, was on hold for over 30 minutes each time. I called a few times.
1 week prior to ship date, I get am email that said part or all of my order has been cancelled .It did not say what was cancelled, so, i call again, to wait 45 on hold. Our plans were to plant asasp but, now I must start again. I had never used Stark Bros nurseries before and I will not use them again

thanks for nothing!
Company representative comment on April 24, 2017:
On Apr 24, 2017 11:20 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding your order issue and the long wait time to speak with customer support. This is our busiest time of year and wait times are typically high during our spring season. This year call volume is exceptionally high. We appreciate our customers patience and understanding while waiting.

When you place an order with Stark Bro’s, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. Sadly, weather conditions resulted in a crop shortage this year that meant we couldn't produce enough of some varieties. We wish we could immediately manufacture more, but it just takes time for trees and plants to grow.

I strongly suggest that you wait to speak to customer support so that they explain what was canceled.

Negative DashHabar
Upper Marlboro, MD
April 19, 2017
A fig tree was ordered and delivered well packaged. When unpacked, the tree appeared grafted, which I then expected a odd-shaped trunk and if successful two or more trunks. It appeared dead but have received trees dormant before and didn't believe the worst. I planted it the same day in container with premium soil pre wetted to dampness. After 10 days the poor tree was dead. Two e-mails to Stark have gone unanswered after each assured it was received and "someone" would be getting back to the e-mail address I provided in 24 hours.
Company representative comment on April 24, 2017:
On Apr 24, 2017 10:49 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your email as this is our busiest time of the year. We are sorry for any mis communication regarding the automatic response you received from Stark Bro’s. Our response does not state to expect a response time within 24 hours. It states “we are making our best efforts to respond to all messages in a timely fashion but due to increasingly high volumes please expect a delay in response. If you require immediate assistance please contact customer support by dialing 800.325.4180 Monday-Friday 8a-430p (CDT).”

We are very sorry to hear that your fig was dead on arrival. Not only do we want to make sure that our trees and plant ship during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements.

If you need a replacement for your fig, please contact customer support at 800.325.4180 so that we can arrange your free tree to ship as soon as its available.

Positive OldWrangler
Spring, TX
April 16, 2017
I find most people tend to write more often when they are being critical and not when they are satisfied with an order. I think it is equally important to make favorable comments.
I recently tried an order from Stark Bros. as it had been many years since I had ordered from them. My order was shipped immediately and received in 2 days. The plants were shipped with wet shreaded paper on the roots and the plants were well grown and healthy. I received 2 Peach Trees, 3 Grape vines and an asst. of Gooseberries. Everything has been planted and buds are coming from everything. Exceptional plants and I have re-ordered again just now. If all the orders they ship are like mine, they should never have a negative comment again.
Company representative comment on April 19, 2017:
On Apr 19, 2017 12:21 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We appreciate your positive review. Thank you for choosing Stark Bro’s for your nursery stock needs. We love being your partner in growing your own legacy and are honored that you selected us again. Your continued support and suggestions help us grow into a better company.

Positive thackattack100
Hebron, IN
April 3, 2017
I have ordered from Stark Brothers for a while now and have had nothing but the best of experiences. After reading some of the negative reviews, I feel I need to write about my experiences. The trees are always very healthy with green buds and large moist root systems. I get some of the best fruit off of these trees that I have ever tasted any where. They have altered the shipping dates a few times, but changing temps change the safe planting time for trees. Also their trees are not grown at the nursery but rather at their growing fields, and are then shipped to the nursery to send out to customers. I can see how this also affects the shipping times. Their customer service is excellent! I have had a few trees die in the past and they had no problems sending me free replacements with no questions asked. I have had questions with regard to diseases with my apple trees, and they are very quick to respond with a solution to the problem. I will always go to them for my fruit tree and plant needs, and will never think about going to any one else. I have that much confidence in them.
Company representative comment on April 5, 2017:
On Apr 5, 2017 12:23 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We appreciate your positive review. Thank you for choosing Stark Bro’s for your nursery stock needs. We love being your partner in growing your own legacy and are honored that you select us time and time again. Your continued support and suggestions help us grow into a better company.

Negative griffgreen
Carrollton, OH
March 29, 2017
I am sorry to say that our first attempt to purchase from Stark Bros left us with a negative overall experience. We ordered 60 pear trees in October 2016 for estimate ship date of March 10, 2017. We were required to provide a deposit at order.

When no trees were showing up the week of March 10, we called on March 15 (Wed) to find out the status of our order. We were told it had not yet shipped due to changes on the order. This was a surprise to us because we had not been sent any notification of a change of order.

After talking with two different reps, we developed a replacement order to still meet our need for 60 pear trees. We asked the second rep to please email and call us to let us know if the shipment would be sent Friday the 17th or not.

As of March 29th, no email or messages from Stark Bros reps. We called again and were told the shipment would not happen until the following week. Now we were nearly 30 days beyond our estimated ship date and had several reschedules. This was not acceptable for our business needs, so we asked to cancel the entire order and refund our deposit. We are told the deposit should post to our credit card within 2-3 business days.

We are posting as negative because of the overall lack of communication from Stark Bros. regarding the status of our order and the multiple delays in regard to shipment.
Positive midnightbluecat
Virginia Beach, VA
March 17, 2017
I ordered blueberries, dwarf apricot trees, bush cherries, kiwis, and grapes. They arrived carefully packaged in good condition. The blueberry plants are beautiful and look very healthy. My dad and grandfather bought from Stark bros before I was born. I highly recommend them and will buy again.
Company representative comment on April 5, 2017:
On Apr 5, 2017 12:25 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We appreciate your positive review. Thank you for choosing Stark Bro’s for your nursery stock needs. We love being your partner in growing your own legacy and are honored that you selected us. Your continued support and suggestions help us grow into a better company. If you have any issues please do not hesitate to contact customer support.

Positive 150053
Fresno, CA
March 15, 2017
I ordered two of their urban apples red and green, a pack of blackberries, and two grapevines. My estimated delivery date was moved back twice from 2/9 to 2/17 and then to 2/24. I was starting to get worried since my area can start experiencing weather in the 80's in early spring. I called around the 16th and they said my order would be going out that day or the next, I guess it did since I got it on the 22nd or 23rd. I wish the FedEx driver had bothered to ring the doorbell instead of just leaving the box on the doorstep baking in the sun. Both apples had plenty of roots and were moist in the package, one of the grapes had a good size root system, the other was pretty small, maybe like five roots. In the last couple days everything has started leafing out even the dinky grape, so nothing was a dud. The blackberries had somehow gotten knocked out of their cell packs and were a mess, but in the ground they seem to be growing fine so not a problem. I would order from them again.
Company representative comment on April 5, 2017:
On Apr 5, 2017 12:24 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Neutral JoelS
Dallas, NC
March 9, 2017
Posted on March 6, 2017, updated March 9, 2017
Wow! I have been doing business with Stark Brothers for decades and my dad was also a big fan of them back in the 1990s. I never thought I would leave them a negative review, but have they gone downhill big time and fast! I have nearly a $600 order from Jan 3 that has been back-logged and not able to ship for months. This is the 3rd or 4th time that they have changed the ship date, each time giving a different excuse. Was supposed to arrive the latest this past Sat March 4 after I called them last week and they said they were waiting on a back-order of plants to arrive from out of state to complete the order. I checked the order today and now the estimated ship date is April 21! I understand estimated and that these are live plants, but is that really the best that you have for estimated, changing the ship date multiple times and by an increment of 7 weeks! That is way off bad business!
It has not helped that I have called multiple times and have been on hold for long periods of time, of which never had happened in the past years. I was always proud of their superior product, and I hope it stays that way, but this is unacceptable. They have not offered any free plants or compensation for all of this frustration that I have been dealing with them. Not sure what has happened!
On March 9th, 2017, JoelS changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

They did call me back yesterday and offered a $100 credit towards my most recent order and apologized for all the problems that I have had with them recently. So in all fairness I wanted to add this and have changed my rating accordingly so that it is not negative.
Company representative comment on March 10, 2017:
On Mar 10, 2017 9:01 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your honest review and updating your rating to Neutral.

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding all the troubles with this years order being delayed. We completely understand your frustration and disappointment as we are just as disappointed that we have product(s) that are not ready to be shipped.

Negative fitzgeoff
Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8a)
March 9, 2017
Never again will I ignore the bad reviews of a company on this site, like I did with Stark.
I ordered three roses and they sent an expected delivery date. Then every few days the date was advanced, over and over again until it was almost a month later and still no roses.
Why take an order and issue a delivery date when you're not able to fulfill the order?
When I ordered they showed 23 roses were available. If there were why couldn't they get them shipped?
Lastly, when I called to cancel I had to wait over 15 minutes for Customer Service. There were several calls ahead of me. (That's no surprise) When I finally got through to an employee and told her I was cancelling, there wasn't the least interest in why I was cancelling which is indicative of their level of service.
Oh, they got my email address when I ordered and began to bombard me with their sales notices, but never once updated my order status or provided an explanation or apology.

Company representative comment on March 10, 2017:
On Mar 10, 2017 10:20 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding your order of roses being delayed and the long wait time to speak with customer service. This is our busiest time of year and wait times are typically high during our spring season. We appreciate our customers patience while waiting.

When you place an order with Stark Bro’s, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. Unfortunately, we are experiencing delays on product(s) being ready to ship this spring. We completely understand your frustration and disappointment as we are just as disappointed.

Your issue was forwarded to our customer support manager and we will be sending you three free roses as soon as they become available.

Negative Bunnyfoo
Ravensdale, WA
February 27, 2017
Posted on February 17, 2017, updated February 27, 2017
First I\'d like to say that I\'ve checked Stark Brothers out on the BBB and the company is listed as only being in business for 19 years. This indicates to me that the company name and reputation I grew up hearing about no longer exists, company was sold to new owners that are running on the original Stark Brothers name.
I received an advertising packet from Stark Bros on January 17, 2017. Cool! Plants must be ready to get mailed out to people! I ordered a Dwarf Saturn Peach on January 19th specifically as a Valentine\'s gift for my husband this year. Unfortunately I don\'t have the dates I\'ve contacted Stark Bros concerning my order. I\'m so irritated at this point I delete them because I can\'t stand seeing their name every time I get into my email. I made initial contact concerned about the freezing temperatures in my area and delivery of a bare root tree. I got an answer that sounded like I was talking to a politician. Something about Stark Bros not being able to commit to exact shipping dates due to sending live items. I\'ve had a vanilla orchid and cinnamon tree from Florida both shipped to me in the middle of winter. It made no sense to me and I told the representative so, never using foul language or being disrespectful. I just disagreed. He again came back with the same excuse. Why was I sent a mailing saying plants were ready then?! Not wanting to go back and forth through email I told the guy he was just irritating me more and not to respond, I was done. I\'ve since contacted the the company through email just to say \"still waiting\". It\'s been almost a month since I ordered. Valentine\'s Day came and went (my husband got nothing for Valentine\'s Day). I\'ve watched my shipping date go from Feb 9, 11, 22, 23, 25. Really?! I\'d love to cancel, don\'t want to do business with them. But at this point I suspect I\'ve ticked them off merely because I disagreed with their customer service, stock, isn\'t really the truth answer. In fact I read in a review right here where Stark Brothers admits to being behind. So just be honest with your customers. We\'ll understand a lot better than being treated like we\'re stupid, willing to accept answers that make no sense. I\'m not canceling my order. I\'m waiting to see just how long Stark Brothers is going to let this go on, just how unprofessional they are going to be about it.
On February 27th, 2017, Bunnyfoo added the following:

Update: Still a negative
Checked my order with Stark Brothers the day the company responded to my review. Yes, they have waived the shipping fee. The shipment date was actually moved up to 2-25 from 3-1. Coincidence that the new ship date was the same as my last noted ship date in my original review?On the date of my original review the ship date on my order was 3-1. Silly me, told my husband his Valentine's gift was finally coming. It didn't arrive! Checked the shipment date. Surprise! They moved it again to 3-4. Checked again today (2-27) and the ship date has changed AGAIN to 3-7. That's s total of at least 9 ship dates being given to me in the 39 days since I initially ordered. Still waiting...

On a side note, in my original review I mentioned telling one Stark customer representative not to email anymore due to no progress being made with him. I find it interesting that Starks response to my review includes stating they aren't contacting me thru email per my request. That's not what I said at all. Just another excuse by Stark not to have to deal with me.

Random FYI: Starks lists "professional pruning" in red writing on their premium trees. However if you dig into the site it clearly states that all their trees are professionally pruned. Buying a premium tree may get a bigger tree. Or that may be just as deceptive as stating premiums get professionally pruned when in reality all trees get pruned. I too suspect this is done for trees to fit the smallest box possible thus saving the company money in shipping. I'd rather have an intact tree that I can make the choice to prune or not.
Company representative comment on February 22, 2017:
On Feb 22, 2017 8:59 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

When you place an order with Stark Bro’s, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. Our shipping season of our bare root nursery stock begins early February due to our weather conditions here in the state of MO.

Due to the timing of harvesting, grading and inspection of our nursery stock some items are back ordered from time to time. Not only do we want to make sure that our trees and plant ship during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements.

Your issue was forwarded to our customer support manager and we have waived your shipping fee as a token of our apology for the delay. In respect to your request to not email, a response will not be sent via email.

Positive b_schr
Wayne, NE (Zone 4b)
February 15, 2017
Over the years I have ordered several fruit trees from Starks. One never leafed out at all. However all others were good stock and are still flourishing. Concerning the dead one, all I did was notify them and no questions asked, it was replaced. And unlike another nursery I've ordered from and received bad stock, Starks didn't ask for shipping. *Very* satisfied with them!

Positive lwbuchholz
Manhattan, MT
October 5, 2016
Posted on May 15, 2015, updated October 5, 2016
I ordered from Stark last year and the trees came through wonderfully. However they didn\'t make it through the winter and I contacted them and they promptly sent replacements! I will continue to order from them and recommend them to anyone else who wants what they offer.
On October 5th, 2016, lwbuchholz added the following:

I had ordered a cherry tree from them and because they arrived early spring one yer later I didn't know if it had lived until the 1 year guarantee was past. I reviewed the tree on their site and they immediately got back to me and are shipping a replacement next spring. I really like this company and will continue not only to order from them but send my friends to them too!!
Positive mylittletrees
Corning, OH
September 20, 2016
Overall I'm pleased with my experience with Stark Brothers this past spring. The apple trees that I ordered arrived safe in a sturdy box. All leafed out and have grown reasonably well considering this is their first season. I am attracted to Stark Bros. because of the many varieties of fruit trees that they sell. I also like that they stand behind their trees with good customer service.

The only issue that I had was with one of their "premium" apple trees. This tree was nice and big with a perfect straight trunk, but it was diseased! The main trunk had irregular sunken places in the bark that were black in color. It was blight or canker. I was very disappointed that my premium tree was diseased and possibly contaminating the others. A call to customer service resolved the problem. Around here the Stark Bros. name in trees is highly respected, so I hope this was just a random oversight, but I expected better quality from Stark Bros. It would also be nice if customer service were more knowledgeable about the rootstocks used on the apple trees. Serious apple growers like to know the disease resistance and growth characteristics of rootstock.
Positive jimh6278
Salt Lake City, UT
August 16, 2016
I have nothing but good to say about Stark. I have been a customer for over 10 years and have always found the customer service top notch. They sent the wrong tree once but acknowledged the error and sent me a replacement no charge. Every tree and variety has produced fruit. Thanks Stark.
Positive eusriso
Lynchburg, VA
July 12, 2016
I ordered some supplies from Starkbros and saw they had an end of season sale. On a whim I bought 3 apple trees for $4.99 each. I wasn't expecting much as this was June. The trees I received were about 3 foot in height, just budding with a few small leaves. All trees had really good root systems. It took 3 days for the order to come central Virginia. Trees were packed well. Starkbros refrigerates there trees. Two weeks later my trees are full of leaves and growing well. I can highly recommend Starkbros. One negative, Starkbros sells by size - dwarf, semi-dwarf, etc. They do not sell by rootstock. I contacted them about the root stock and got this answer - Dwarf - M26 or M9, Semi-dwarf M7 or B118.
Positive jennib2774
Upton, WY (Zone 4a)
May 25, 2016
I had a very large order with Stark it arrived on time and in mostly good condition. The kiwi I ordered looked awful but they replaced it quickly as well as the three blueberries that did not do well. So far everything is coming up nicely and they are relatively quick replying to my emails for any questions or concerns.
Positive ksguy
Topeka, KS
May 11, 2016
I have been shopping for a weeping willow tree for a large area in my front yard that tends to stay really wet. Local nurseries wanted an arm and a leg, and I finally stumbled upon Stark Bros. My experience with them has been great.

I ordered my tree on Thursday, and they were having a 200th anniversary special on berry plants, so I had them toss 3 raspberry plants in there as well. The goods arrived at my door yesterday. All of the plants had very extensive, healthy looking root systems, and all plants seemed to be coming out of dormancy and had fresh growth on them. The root systems were packed well in damp shredded paper.

There was however a minor problem with the graft on the Willow tree. Unfortunately I got home after hours, so I could not speak with them, but I called left a message for their customer service team. This morning right after 8 AM they called me back and said they were sorry and would send a new tree out to me right away. Fantastic customer service. You hear that the true measure of a company's service is how well they respond to problems, and in this case I'd say they're great. I will not hesitate to do business with them again.
Positive rdhegge
Los Angeles,
United States
May 7, 2016
I ordered a cinnamon spice dwarf apple from Stark. I ordered on Sunday and had it on Thursday - very fast. It looked like a stick, but it also looked like the branches and roots were trimmed expertly. I stuck it in the ground according to instructions and hoped. It took almost a month, but a little green started showing and it has now burst out all over in beautiful green leaves. I think this will be a really nice tree and look forward to eating those apples. I'm quite happy with Stark.
Negative kenwhitten
South Woodstock, CT
April 20, 2016
After placing an order on line I received an e-mail that my order could not be processed. I tried the on line option and was unsuccessful at fixing the problem. I came home from work early the next day to call and they had closed early so I got a message. I called the next day to try to solve the problem. During the 15 minutes I was on hold I began to wonder If I was going to have problems if I needed customer service after the sale. I took a look here and see that nearly 25% of the comments were negative so I cancelled the order when "customer service" finally answered. I like to have more faith that I will not need customer service, let alone get an automated answering service that tells me over and over how much they appreciate my business.
Positive ljkewlj
Norwich, CT (Zone 6b)
April 19, 2016
I have been a buyer of Stark Bros. since 2012 and have generally been happy with what they have sent me until this fall. My order consisted of three trees, two apples and one asian pear. I emailed them that one of the supreme trees I was disappointed with and never heard back from them.

This spring I emailed them again as to my displeasure with the Hardy Giant Asian tree they sent me this fall and attached a pic showing that the tree did fall short of their own specifications for being a supreme tree. To their credit they did promptly email me back and set up a replacement tree to be sent to me.

The tree they sent me as a replacement really exceeded their specs. this time as it was a 1" caliper tree. I am very happy with the replacement tree they sent me and will continue to order from this company!
Neutral linuxbob
Wichita, KS
April 13, 2016
Posted on April 6, 2016, updated April 13, 2016
In March I ordered a Pink Lemonade Blueberry and a Peach Sorbet Blueberry along with a Raspberry Shortcake plant. All 3 arrived in a timely fashion and looked good except they were a bit small. Now, a month later they look like they did upon arrival so I sent email requesting tips on getting them to put out new growth. They responded promptly but they misread my description as \"blackberries\" and advised me to test the soil ph as my potting mix was too acidic and was the reason that the leaves were red. After writing back to them they realized that they thought I asked about blackberries. A few email exchanges later I still had no answer so I called and explained what I needed yet it seemed that the representative had no clue about what to do and sounded as if she was reading off of a prepared script. Finally I simply thanked her and hung up. Again I emailed Stark Brothers (repeatedly) and they simply ignored my messages. I\'ll never order from them again. They do not offer quality support after the sale and their telephone customer service isn\'t knowledgeable enough to answer anything except order related questions.
On April 13th, 2016, linuxbob changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I received an apology from Starkbros.com today and they offered to refund my money or replace the plants this fall since they're out of stock now. I accepted their replacement plants to be shipped to me this fall. If that goes well then I will change my rating to positive. For now I changed it to neutral.
Company representative comment on April 13, 2016:
On Apr 13, 2016 3:16 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We are deeply sorry that there was a misunderstanding when trying to help you diagnose the issue with your plants. Our goal at Stark Bro's Nurseries & Orchards Co. is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and provide an exemplary level of customer service​. Based on the events you described in your feedback here on Dave’s Garden, we did not meet this goal.​ We did not intentionally ignore your email. This time of year is our busiest time of year and we are doing our best to respond to everyone in a timely manner with accurate information.

The BrazelBerries® are new to Stark Bro’s this year and we have also added a lot of new members to Customer Support. Our new team members are experts in training and are willing to help you.

Your issue has been forwarded to our customer support manager and we will reach out to you directly. We hope that you allow us the opportunity to rectify this situation because we take all reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

Positive Fishman1
Selden, NY
April 7, 2016
Just received an order from Stark's for a Starkcrimson Red Delicious apple,(supreme dwarf), a Ultramac Spur-type Macintosh apple,(supreme dwarf) and a Stark Saturn peach,(Supreme dwarf XL). First off, the shipping took me by surprise, almost overnight...Very commendable. The two spur apples are kind of small for the money paid, but the varieties were not available elsewhere. The peach however was much smaller than anticipated, it barely squeaks in at 1 inch (no generosity here) and 5 foot. I am very concerned about a pruning cut made at the top of the tree, to a fairly thick branch, that appears to show that the branch was dead when pruned. Also, broken root sections were found in the bottom of the box, and the wrapping used over the roots was all over the box. Will plant the trees and update at a later time. Hopefully all will be fine.
Positive ChuckCrisler
Windham, NH
April 1, 2016
After reading many of the comments here, I felt compelled to add mine. I have ordered from Stark about 5 times over 20-25 years. I think that my experiences and perspective are a more accurate reflection of the company.

I would rate them a 4.5 out of 5. Yes, I do have some tiny nits. Overall I think that they are excellent for the home gardener. This past year I decided to add apple trees to my orchard and decided to look elsewhere. After spending a good bit of time looking, I ordered (again) from Stark. Why? Because they have the selection/varieties and sizes that I want. I like to support as many different nurseries as possible, but Stark meets my needs.

I am a very serious home gardener. I have a large vegetable garden, a large (for a homeowner) orchard, a large (for a homeowner) vineyard (yes, I make wine) and am a beekeeper. I also have a greenhouse and grow orchids.

I ordered my apple trees back in the fall to insure selection and delivery scheduling. Recently, I changed my mind about my selection and called Stark. I quickly got through to a real person who was pleasant and helpful. I was able to change one variety and add another. I am confident that I will be receiving my proper order soon. I have never gotten the wrong trees, all of my trees have been the proper size (dwarf) and there have only been minor problems. Once I thought that they had root-pruned a tree too much and called to complain. They offered to replace the tree if it didn't grow. It grew well and is still growing well.

Nit #1 They claim that the fall is a good time to plant. Maybe in parts of the country, but not New England. The only trees that died or didn't grow well were planted in the fall. A Reliance peach barely survived and grew. It has been set back about 2 years over a spring planted tree. It lost all of it's limbs on one side. It is growing now and I just learned a trick to encourage new branches on the bare side, but I will never plant bare root trees in the fall again.

Nit #2 They claim that Fig trees can grow in New England. No they can not. I have tried with 3 trees twice, including a Chicago Hardy. I also planted that in the fall (with a Brown Turkey, second attempt) and neither grew in the spring. I should have known better myself.

Nit #3 Their shipping dates are too early, at least for New England. However, they are very happy to change if you ask for a later date, as I do.

Nit #4 I don't really know if this counts. At a pruning seminar last weekend, the extension agent said not to buy if the seller can't tell you the root stock. I don't think that Stark can supply that information. However, I also don't think that it is relevant to home growers. I am very serious yet don't know anything about rootstock selections (except that it is important). This may be important for commercial growers, but I don't think that it is for home owners. As I said earlier, all of my trees have been as advertised.

Nit #5 They sometimes hide the real name of the tree variety. For example, I have a Starking Delicious pear tree. I can't find out what it really is and would really like to know.

In conclusion, I have ordered many trees (~25) from Stark over many years. I have been happy with the trees I got. All have been healthy and grown well (except the figs and the fall peach). They have a great selection and the trees I have received as always been in great shape and exactly what I ordered. I really like that they are now offering larger trees that may cut a year off of when they start bearing. (Others are doing the same thing.) I continue to do business with them and do recommend them to others.

Chuck Crisler
New Hampshire
Neutral Tropicman
Bushland, TX (Zone 6a)
March 31, 2016
Posted on March 23, 2016, updated March 31, 2016
I received my plants,only one plant had lost its soil and the roots were very dry,leaves were all shriveled up and dry,I repotted hoping to save the plant,after couple days in the greenhouse,plant doesn\'t look like it is responding,so I took pictures and sent to them in a e-mail,after 3 days no response from them,yet when your buying from them,they answer back almost immediately . Will not be doing business with them again,not because of the quality of there plants,but because of customer service,buyer beware.
On March 31st, 2016, Tropicman changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Just received new plant in the mail,will change my rating to neutral,only because of quick in getting new plant,which by the way is quite smaller than original plant that was sent,I realize they can't make everyone happy all the time no matter how hard they try.I will continue to do business with them,as they are far better than most of the online nurseries.
Company representative comment on March 24, 2016:
On Mar 24, 2016 2:50 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology. Our goal at Stark Bro's Nurseries & Orchards Co. is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and provide an exemplary level of customer service​. Based on the events you described in your feedback on Dave’s Garden, we did not meet this goal.​ This time of year is our busiest time of year and we are very sorry that we did not respond to your email in a timelier manner. We take all reviews on Dave’s Garden to heart, as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

Customer Support has found your email ticket and will be responding to you soon. They may have already taken care of it.

Negative ar99
San Diego, CA
March 28, 2016
ordered some plants from them on 3/21 (ORDER #1393440). the listing clearly stated: estimated delivery 3/26. it's now 3/28 and according to them the plants still have not been shipped and there is no set shipping date. i guess they just don't care that their customers may have lives, plans, or might be traveling...
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 6:57 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that has been caused to you due to the late delivery of your product. When you place your order, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date for your location. Unfortunately in your case our shipping department was behind. This is why your order did not get shipped in time to reach you by the original estimated date.

We are extremely apologetic for what you have experienced, and we are making an effort to ensure that such delay in shipping products will not occur in the future.

Neutral llittlejr2
Elizabeth, WV
March 27, 2016
I ordered a red haven dwarf peach and a standard methley plum tree on March 17th. I received them 2 weeks later. Both were bigger than expected with 3-4 branches. Peach tree even had flower buds. My only worry is packing paper fell off root system of the plum and roots were a little dry both so far happy I will update my rating when they both come out of dormacy and I know they are alive
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 7:12 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology for the packing paper not sticking to the roots. This sometimes happens during transit and thats why its very important to hydrate the roots before you plant. We recommend that you submerge the roots in cool tap water for 4-6 hours (24 hours max).

We trust that our nursery products will meet or exceed your expectations.

Negative dgludwigl
Tyngsboro, MA
March 26, 2016
Horrible customer service. I ordered from Stark Bros on March 13 and in theory all items were in stock and I was given a March 17-18 delivery date. I lined up people to help plant on March 19. On the 18th I had not received any notification informing me my order was delayed nor did I receive my plants. Went online to check my order and now the expected delivery was March 24th. The next time it looked online the expected delivery was March 27th. I called customer service, they did not provide any information as to why the order kept being delayed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was informed that they were not available and there was no offer for the supervisor to call me back. I asked whether I should just cancel my order and they said they didn't know so I cancelled the order.
Their plants maybe just fine if you can actually get them but if you are looking to get plants in the ground in the spring don't count on them.
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 8:19 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to your order not shipping. When you place your order, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. We are sincerely sorry that there was a tree not ready to ship as expected and we are very heavy hearted that you have decided to cancel your remaining order because of this.

We take all reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward. We are making an effort to ensure that our customers are made aware of the delays in the future.

Negative pidjones
Clinton, TN
March 17, 2016
Ordered a dwarf northern star cherry for the wife on 3-10-2016. Chose the "premium" plant as the arrival date estimate was two days earlier, and for a little more I figured we would get a better plant. Estimated arrival was 3-16-2016. Now it is 3-17-2016, and I've not received a shipping announcement email yet. Called "customer service" and find out they were back-ordered on the trees (were back-ordered when I ordered them on the 10th I find out). Back-ordered? this indicates to me that this is NOT a nursery, but instead a distributor that buys wholesale from real nurseries and resells to the public! Anyway, the representative said that the trees have arrived and are being "graded" now - estimated arrival now 3-23-2016! Just not happy with this at all. I paid for the "premium" plant for earlier arrival, as well as a better plant. Something tells me this will be no better than any other they ship. Sure wish we had picked one up at Tractor Supply before they ran out! No more Stark Bros. purchases for us.
Company representative comment on March 17, 2016:
On Mar 17, 2016 3:29 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to your order not shipping. When you place an order with us, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated arrival time and availability status of the product.

A living tree or plant that is shipped from Stark Bro's must meet certain criteria before it is shipped. Not only do we want to make sure that your tree or plant ships during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements. Our promise of satisfaction at Stark Bro's is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants to ALL of our customers. This is considered our “grading” process.

Negative Todd79
Springfield, MO
March 16, 2016
This was my second of what I thought would be many orders with Stark Brothers, but unfortunately it will be my last. Lackluster customer service, inadequate communication, and inaccurate shipping estimates. They bumped my shipping arrival date not once but twice and we're not helpful via phone or email. This is a big deal when you have to take time off work to get trees in the ground. Stick to a shipping arrival date or at least let the customer know when you cannot. I checked all items for arrival date before the purchase and made many selections based on that information. I was sent an email with the shipping date and order confirmation. Then as the time approached I called to verify the date only to find that the date had been bumped (no reason given) and the person told me they didn't have record of the shipping arrival date in my confirmation email, the new date was the only one they were aware of - they were less than helpful. Next, I rearranged my schedule as much as I could and emailed to ensure the new date would stick. I have not received a meaningful reply to the email and when I checked online today my order shipping arrival date had been bumped again - and yet again I was not notified. I cancelled my order and emailed the company again. Their plant stock is good from my experience but their customer service is terrible and their shipping apparently is like guessing the weather forecast - not accurate.
Positive clhtjh
Spring Lake, NC
February 15, 2016
Posted on February 15, 2016, updated February 15, 2016
While there are complaints about their shipping times, I have an entirely different experience.

When I ordered, I knew they\'d not only wait until they ship to charge me, but ship at a day that they felt was a good time to do so.

Knowing I needed to have the order charged right away (so I don\'t spend it first), I asked them to submit the charge. They did so on the day of asking.

I also know when my area is supposed to be frost free and that\'s when I need to plant. I asked them to change the shipping date to mid-April. What they did, was re-submit the order within their company and I got a new invoice that shows the shipping date of April 18th. That would be perfect for me.

For those who complain about shipping times, please look at your invoice. It DOES show when your plants are expected to ship.

You can either call or at the top of the page, there is a \"Chat Now\" button at the top of the page during the day (when the company is open).
On February 15th, 2016, clhtjh added the following:

I forgot to add....
This was no small order.
I ordered:

- Sweet & Tart Cherry Tree Collection Supreme Dwarf

- Mango Pawpaw (Grafted)

- Ichi-Ki-Kei-Jiro Asian Persimmon (Grafted)

- Sunflower Pawpaw (Grafted)

- NC-1 Pawpaw (Grafted)

Negative Vissara
Portland, OR
January 28, 2016
Posted on February 13, 2015, updated January 28, 2016
I will never order from these people again, I ordered two elderberries, which they shipped OVER A MONTH before my planting season. When I contacted them to complain they condesendingly informed me they \"shipped at the proper planting time for your area and if you can\'t plant dorment plants can be safely stored in your garage\".
It wasnt \"proper planting time\" a little clue there is how none of the three other nurseries I had orders in with have shipped yet and the plants were NOT dorment. The plants themselves seem fine but the customer service here and level of common sense is vile.
On January 28th, 2016, Vissara added the following:

Stark Brothers seems to feel the need to continue their pattern of vile service. After my last encounter with them I called and requested to be removed from their mailing list, twice, as I am never purchasing from them again. Behold, another spring season rolls around and I get another catalog from them. At this point I have to assume that they are hoping I will get confused and order from them by accident.
Company representative comment on February 13, 2015:
On Feb 13, 2015 2:50 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here regarding your elderberry plants that were recently shipped. We take all reviews to heart, as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

Our customer support manager will reach out to you after she further assesses the situation and gets a clearer view of the issue. We look forward to hearing from you.

Positive oaksdancing
Monmouth, OR
December 2, 2015
I ordered several trees from them last spring. Two trees failed to leaf out and perished. Once I informed them of the problem via US mail (no response to my email) they put me on order for replacements which arrived this fall. I know it will take several years for the trees to establish and bear fruit but I am appreciative that they did the right thing and replaced two of the trees.
Company representative comment on January 27, 2016:
On Jan 27, 2016 4:39 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We're glad you understand that weather and soil conditions have a lot to do with how well the trees will acclimate to your planting spot. Please do keep us posted and let us know how your trees are doing. We want you to succeed!

Negative Jenetta
Clermont, FL (Zone 9a)
November 21, 2015
Furious, furious, furious.

I have spent a small fortune (close to $600.00) over five years buying all sorts of fruit trees from them. NONE of them have produced fruit. Absolutely NONE. I have repeatedly called them over the years, taken their advice, done exactly what they told me to do, and yet still after all these years out of 23 plants I have absolutely no fruit. They grow healthy leaves and are getting bigger. But that's it. I now have 4 acres of fruit trees that are worthless. I called the company and spoke to customer service and asked if the owner would call me back. That was six months ago. Three more follow up phone calls and still not a phone call back from the owner. I want my $600.00 back! Then I go on their website today to get their phone number once again to call on Monday. Low and behold, I see that they have changed their zone for me. I went from 8B to a 9A and ALL of the trees that I have purchased are not in my zone now. No wonder I don't have any fruit on the trees. These people messed up when I placed my order, and apparently fixed it after my constant complaining, but yet I am STILL out $600.00 and have 4 acres to dig up of fruit trees. Please beware of these people. They are the absolute worst company I have ever had to deal with. Take your business somewhere else. Buy trees from your local nursery that have already grown for a few years and you can see what you are buying. All of these trees were sent to me as one stalk only with no leaves.
Negative xlotus123x
Brooklyn, NY
October 3, 2015
Placed an order on July16 and a few days later received email changing delivery date from July to Oct 10. So I called to ask why and was given the excuse of we would like to grow your trees more before shipping them to you. I patiently waited and today received a letter from Strark Bros saying my trees were out of stock and cancelled part of my order. So one week before delivery they cancelled my trees.

I called to cancel my 2 orders cause I was so angry and the lady on the phone just gave more lame excuses. WAITED 2 1/2 months, 1 week before delivery to tell me your out of stock.
I hope this review would help anyone to stay away from this company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Company representative comment on October 5, 2015:
On Oct 5, 2015 10:52 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to the Stark Custom Graft 2-n-1 Asian Pear tree not being available. When you place an order with us, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated arrival time and availability status of the product.

A living tree or plant that is shipped from Stark Bro's must meet certain criteria before it is shipped. Not only do we want to make sure that your tree or plant ships during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements. Our goal at Stark Bro's is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and unfortunately the Stark Custom Graft 2-n-1 Asian Pear tree does not meet our expectation.

We are sincerely sorry that this tree is not available and we are very heavy hearted that you have decided to cancel your remaining order(s) for bare root fruit trees because of this.

Negative terrisweet
Fallon, NV
September 17, 2015
I purchased 52 Neptune grape vines from Stark Bros at a cost of over $350. It took 3 years for the vines to fruit and the fruit looks and tastes like Muscat grapes. Stark Bros refuses to give a refund for shipping me vines that were not Neptunes.
Company representative comment on September 18, 2015:
On Sep 18, 2015 11:07 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here regarding the Neptune grapes you purchased in 2012 from our commercial sales division.

The final color, taste and appearance for a fruit variety at maturity is influenced by many factors other than the inherent genetic characteristics described in any publication. Some of these factors are climate, soil, training systems, pruning, fertilization, application of chemicals, etc. Because of these factors, Stark Bro's does not accept responsibility for the final color, taste and appearance of any variety.

Your situation has been fully assessed by management in customer support, production and purchasing in order to get a clear view of the issue. In 2012, the Neptune grape was the one and only green grape we were growing potted in our greenhouse facility. The other potted grape was the Thomcord. We did not grow, buy or sell muscat grapes.

We have offered you a credit on your account to be applied towards a future order and that offer still stands. Please contact our commercial customer support at 800.435.8733 if you would like the credit offer to be added to your account.

Positive jeremybro
Mulvane, KS (Zone 6b)
September 16, 2015
In the last year, I have received from Stark Bros: Jonathan apple (Fall '14), All-In-One Almond (Fall '14), Redhaven peach, Moorpark apricot, Santa Rosa plum, Kanza & Peruque pecans, 3 Boysenberries, 3 Jewel black raspberries, and 25 Eversweet strawberries. Now, at the end of the season, everything yet lives.

The fall-planted trees have had some trouble. The apple was debarked by deer over the winter, and the top 3/4 of the almond never leafed out, but both showed growth from the bottom, but above the graft. The apple is now taller that the original whip, but the almond had some insect pressure and isn't looking as good. So, the apple is not the fault of Stark Bros, but the almond is, at least partially.

Everything else looks great. Despite deer pressure in the spring, and a cool, wet May, the trees all are growing strong. The Boysenberries were potted, and slow to take off, but started putting on long canes in August. The raspberries actually put on a few berries, and have since put on many new canes, rooted at the tips, and grown more canes. I should have a pretty good crop next year. Likewise, the strawberries have taken over their bed and are still putting on a few berries.

I placed a few calls in to customer service regarding order details prior to shipment, and, in every case, I talked to a human who addressed my concerns quickly and professionally. One representative even pointed out that an item similar to the one I was requesting was on sale, and offered to change the order to the sale item, saving me money. Their website even allows you to go back and change orders that are waiting for spring to ship, so if you change your mind or want to add something between January and March, it is easily done without having to call customer service or deal with multiple orders and higher shipping costs.

All in all, I am impressed with the service and quality from this business, and will most likely continue to place orders from them in the future.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]