Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

The scoop on 'Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company'

Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company

Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company has 471 products listed in PlantScout.

Louisiana, Missouri 63353-7800 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-325-4180

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company specializes in:

Company Comment, posted on January 28, 2016:
This year, Stark Bro's is celebrating its 200th year in business!

For anyone who might be interested in the very long history of Stark Bro's, a new book entitled, "200 Years and Growing: The Story of Stark Bro's Nurseries & Orchards Co.) was just published.

Stark Bro's has also published its first cookbook, Fabulous Fruits, which is full of ideas for what to do with your fruit harvest. Both books can be found on StarkBros.com.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive mylittletrees
Corning, OH
September 20, 2016
Overall I'm pleased with my experience with Stark Brothers this past spring. The apple trees that I ordered arrived safe in a sturdy box. All leafed out and have grown reasonably well considering this is their first season. I am attracted to Stark Bros. because of the many varieties of fruit trees that they sell. I also like that they stand behind their trees with good customer service.

The only issue that I had was with one of their "premium" apple trees. This tree was nice and big with a perfect straight trunk, but it was diseased! The main trunk had irregular sunken places in the bark that were black in color. It was blight or canker. I was very disappointed that my premium tree was diseased and possibly contaminating the others. A call to customer service resolved the problem. Around here the Stark Bros. name in trees is highly respected, so I hope this was just a random oversight, but I expected better quality from Stark Bros. It would also be nice if customer service were more knowledgeable about the rootstocks used on the apple trees. Serious apple growers like to know the disease resistance and growth characteristics of rootstock.
Positive jimh6278
Salt Lake City, UT
August 16, 2016
I have nothing but good to say about Stark. I have been a customer for over 10 years and have always found the customer service top notch. They sent the wrong tree once but acknowledged the error and sent me a replacement no charge. Every tree and variety has produced fruit. Thanks Stark.
Positive eusriso
Lynchburg, VA
July 12, 2016
I ordered some supplies from Starkbros and saw they had an end of season sale. On a whim I bought 3 apple trees for $4.99 each. I wasn't expecting much as this was June. The trees I received were about 3 foot in height, just budding with a few small leaves. All trees had really good root systems. It took 3 days for the order to come central Virginia. Trees were packed well. Starkbros refrigerates there trees. Two weeks later my trees are full of leaves and growing well. I can highly recommend Starkbros. One negative, Starkbros sells by size - dwarf, semi-dwarf, etc. They do not sell by rootstock. I contacted them about the root stock and got this answer - Dwarf - M26 or M9, Semi-dwarf M7 or B118.
Positive jennib2774
Upton, WY (Zone 4a)
May 25, 2016
I had a very large order with Stark it arrived on time and in mostly good condition. The kiwi I ordered looked awful but they replaced it quickly as well as the three blueberries that did not do well. So far everything is coming up nicely and they are relatively quick replying to my emails for any questions or concerns.
Positive ksguy
Topeka, KS
May 11, 2016
I have been shopping for a weeping willow tree for a large area in my front yard that tends to stay really wet. Local nurseries wanted an arm and a leg, and I finally stumbled upon Stark Bros. My experience with them has been great.

I ordered my tree on Thursday, and they were having a 200th anniversary special on berry plants, so I had them toss 3 raspberry plants in there as well. The goods arrived at my door yesterday. All of the plants had very extensive, healthy looking root systems, and all plants seemed to be coming out of dormancy and had fresh growth on them. The root systems were packed well in damp shredded paper.

There was however a minor problem with the graft on the Willow tree. Unfortunately I got home after hours, so I could not speak with them, but I called left a message for their customer service team. This morning right after 8 AM they called me back and said they were sorry and would send a new tree out to me right away. Fantastic customer service. You hear that the true measure of a company's service is how well they respond to problems, and in this case I'd say they're great. I will not hesitate to do business with them again.
Positive rdhegge
Los Angeles,
United States
May 7, 2016
I ordered a cinnamon spice dwarf apple from Stark. I ordered on Sunday and had it on Thursday - very fast. It looked like a stick, but it also looked like the branches and roots were trimmed expertly. I stuck it in the ground according to instructions and hoped. It took almost a month, but a little green started showing and it has now burst out all over in beautiful green leaves. I think this will be a really nice tree and look forward to eating those apples. I'm quite happy with Stark.
Negative kenwhitten
South Woodstock, CT
April 20, 2016
After placing an order on line I received an e-mail that my order could not be processed. I tried the on line option and was unsuccessful at fixing the problem. I came home from work early the next day to call and they had closed early so I got a message. I called the next day to try to solve the problem. During the 15 minutes I was on hold I began to wonder If I was going to have problems if I needed customer service after the sale. I took a look here and see that nearly 25% of the comments were negative so I cancelled the order when "customer service" finally answered. I like to have more faith that I will not need customer service, let alone get an automated answering service that tells me over and over how much they appreciate my business.
Positive ljkewlj
Norwich, CT (Zone 6b)
April 19, 2016
I have been a buyer of Stark Bros. since 2012 and have generally been happy with what they have sent me until this fall. My order consisted of three trees, two apples and one asian pear. I emailed them that one of the supreme trees I was disappointed with and never heard back from them.

This spring I emailed them again as to my displeasure with the Hardy Giant Asian tree they sent me this fall and attached a pic showing that the tree did fall short of their own specifications for being a supreme tree. To their credit they did promptly email me back and set up a replacement tree to be sent to me.

The tree they sent me as a replacement really exceeded their specs. this time as it was a 1" caliper tree. I am very happy with the replacement tree they sent me and will continue to order from this company!
Neutral linuxbob
Wichita, KS
April 13, 2016
Posted on April 6, 2016, updated April 13, 2016
In March I ordered a Pink Lemonade Blueberry and a Peach Sorbet Blueberry along with a Raspberry Shortcake plant. All 3 arrived in a timely fashion and looked good except they were a bit small. Now, a month later they look like they did upon arrival so I sent email requesting tips on getting them to put out new growth. They responded promptly but they misread my description as \"blackberries\" and advised me to test the soil ph as my potting mix was too acidic and was the reason that the leaves were red. After writing back to them they realized that they thought I asked about blackberries. A few email exchanges later I still had no answer so I called and explained what I needed yet it seemed that the representative had no clue about what to do and sounded as if she was reading off of a prepared script. Finally I simply thanked her and hung up. Again I emailed Stark Brothers (repeatedly) and they simply ignored my messages. I\'ll never order from them again. They do not offer quality support after the sale and their telephone customer service isn\'t knowledgeable enough to answer anything except order related questions.
On April 13th, 2016, linuxbob changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I received an apology from Starkbros.com today and they offered to refund my money or replace the plants this fall since they're out of stock now. I accepted their replacement plants to be shipped to me this fall. If that goes well then I will change my rating to positive. For now I changed it to neutral.
Company representative comment on April 13, 2016:
On Apr 13, 2016 3:16 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We are deeply sorry that there was a misunderstanding when trying to help you diagnose the issue with your plants. Our goal at Stark Bro's Nurseries & Orchards Co. is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and provide an exemplary level of customer service​. Based on the events you described in your feedback here on Dave’s Garden, we did not meet this goal.​ We did not intentionally ignore your email. This time of year is our busiest time of year and we are doing our best to respond to everyone in a timely manner with accurate information.

The BrazelBerries® are new to Stark Bro’s this year and we have also added a lot of new members to Customer Support. Our new team members are experts in training and are willing to help you.

Your issue has been forwarded to our customer support manager and we will reach out to you directly. We hope that you allow us the opportunity to rectify this situation because we take all reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

Positive Fishman1
Selden, NY
April 7, 2016
Just received an order from Stark's for a Starkcrimson Red Delicious apple,(supreme dwarf), a Ultramac Spur-type Macintosh apple,(supreme dwarf) and a Stark Saturn peach,(Supreme dwarf XL). First off, the shipping took me by surprise, almost overnight...Very commendable. The two spur apples are kind of small for the money paid, but the varieties were not available elsewhere. The peach however was much smaller than anticipated, it barely squeaks in at 1 inch (no generosity here) and 5 foot. I am very concerned about a pruning cut made at the top of the tree, to a fairly thick branch, that appears to show that the branch was dead when pruned. Also, broken root sections were found in the bottom of the box, and the wrapping used over the roots was all over the box. Will plant the trees and update at a later time. Hopefully all will be fine.
Positive ChuckCrisler
Windham, NH
April 1, 2016
After reading many of the comments here, I felt compelled to add mine. I have ordered from Stark about 5 times over 20-25 years. I think that my experiences and perspective are a more accurate reflection of the company.

I would rate them a 4.5 out of 5. Yes, I do have some tiny nits. Overall I think that they are excellent for the home gardener. This past year I decided to add apple trees to my orchard and decided to look elsewhere. After spending a good bit of time looking, I ordered (again) from Stark. Why? Because they have the selection/varieties and sizes that I want. I like to support as many different nurseries as possible, but Stark meets my needs.

I am a very serious home gardener. I have a large vegetable garden, a large (for a homeowner) orchard, a large (for a homeowner) vineyard (yes, I make wine) and am a beekeeper. I also have a greenhouse and grow orchids.

I ordered my apple trees back in the fall to insure selection and delivery scheduling. Recently, I changed my mind about my selection and called Stark. I quickly got through to a real person who was pleasant and helpful. I was able to change one variety and add another. I am confident that I will be receiving my proper order soon. I have never gotten the wrong trees, all of my trees have been the proper size (dwarf) and there have only been minor problems. Once I thought that they had root-pruned a tree too much and called to complain. They offered to replace the tree if it didn't grow. It grew well and is still growing well.

Nit #1 They claim that the fall is a good time to plant. Maybe in parts of the country, but not New England. The only trees that died or didn't grow well were planted in the fall. A Reliance peach barely survived and grew. It has been set back about 2 years over a spring planted tree. It lost all of it's limbs on one side. It is growing now and I just learned a trick to encourage new branches on the bare side, but I will never plant bare root trees in the fall again.

Nit #2 They claim that Fig trees can grow in New England. No they can not. I have tried with 3 trees twice, including a Chicago Hardy. I also planted that in the fall (with a Brown Turkey, second attempt) and neither grew in the spring. I should have known better myself.

Nit #3 Their shipping dates are too early, at least for New England. However, they are very happy to change if you ask for a later date, as I do.

Nit #4 I don't really know if this counts. At a pruning seminar last weekend, the extension agent said not to buy if the seller can't tell you the root stock. I don't think that Stark can supply that information. However, I also don't think that it is relevant to home growers. I am very serious yet don't know anything about rootstock selections (except that it is important). This may be important for commercial growers, but I don't think that it is for home owners. As I said earlier, all of my trees have been as advertised.

Nit #5 They sometimes hide the real name of the tree variety. For example, I have a Starking Delicious pear tree. I can't find out what it really is and would really like to know.

In conclusion, I have ordered many trees (~25) from Stark over many years. I have been happy with the trees I got. All have been healthy and grown well (except the figs and the fall peach). They have a great selection and the trees I have received as always been in great shape and exactly what I ordered. I really like that they are now offering larger trees that may cut a year off of when they start bearing. (Others are doing the same thing.) I continue to do business with them and do recommend them to others.

Chuck Crisler
New Hampshire
Neutral Tropicman
Bushland, TX (Zone 6a)
March 31, 2016
Posted on March 23, 2016, updated March 31, 2016
I received my plants,only one plant had lost its soil and the roots were very dry,leaves were all shriveled up and dry,I repotted hoping to save the plant,after couple days in the greenhouse,plant doesn\'t look like it is responding,so I took pictures and sent to them in a e-mail,after 3 days no response from them,yet when your buying from them,they answer back almost immediately . Will not be doing business with them again,not because of the quality of there plants,but because of customer service,buyer beware.
On March 31st, 2016, Tropicman changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Just received new plant in the mail,will change my rating to neutral,only because of quick in getting new plant,which by the way is quite smaller than original plant that was sent,I realize they can't make everyone happy all the time no matter how hard they try.I will continue to do business with them,as they are far better than most of the online nurseries.
Company representative comment on March 24, 2016:
On Mar 24, 2016 2:50 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology. Our goal at Stark Bro's Nurseries & Orchards Co. is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and provide an exemplary level of customer service​. Based on the events you described in your feedback on Dave’s Garden, we did not meet this goal.​ This time of year is our busiest time of year and we are very sorry that we did not respond to your email in a timelier manner. We take all reviews on Dave’s Garden to heart, as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

Customer Support has found your email ticket and will be responding to you soon. They may have already taken care of it.

Negative ar99
San Diego, CA
March 28, 2016
ordered some plants from them on 3/21 (ORDER #1393440). the listing clearly stated: estimated delivery 3/26. it's now 3/28 and according to them the plants still have not been shipped and there is no set shipping date. i guess they just don't care that their customers may have lives, plans, or might be traveling...
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 6:57 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that has been caused to you due to the late delivery of your product. When you place your order, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date for your location. Unfortunately in your case our shipping department was behind. This is why your order did not get shipped in time to reach you by the original estimated date.

We are extremely apologetic for what you have experienced, and we are making an effort to ensure that such delay in shipping products will not occur in the future.

Neutral llittlejr2
Elizabeth, WV
March 27, 2016
I ordered a red haven dwarf peach and a standard methley plum tree on March 17th. I received them 2 weeks later. Both were bigger than expected with 3-4 branches. Peach tree even had flower buds. My only worry is packing paper fell off root system of the plum and roots were a little dry both so far happy I will update my rating when they both come out of dormacy and I know they are alive
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 7:12 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology for the packing paper not sticking to the roots. This sometimes happens during transit and thats why its very important to hydrate the roots before you plant. We recommend that you submerge the roots in cool tap water for 4-6 hours (24 hours max).

We trust that our nursery products will meet or exceed your expectations.

Negative dgludwigl
Tyngsboro, MA
March 26, 2016
Horrible customer service. I ordered from Stark Bros on March 13 and in theory all items were in stock and I was given a March 17-18 delivery date. I lined up people to help plant on March 19. On the 18th I had not received any notification informing me my order was delayed nor did I receive my plants. Went online to check my order and now the expected delivery was March 24th. The next time it looked online the expected delivery was March 27th. I called customer service, they did not provide any information as to why the order kept being delayed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was informed that they were not available and there was no offer for the supervisor to call me back. I asked whether I should just cancel my order and they said they didn't know so I cancelled the order.
Their plants maybe just fine if you can actually get them but if you are looking to get plants in the ground in the spring don't count on them.
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 8:19 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to your order not shipping. When you place your order, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. We are sincerely sorry that there was a tree not ready to ship as expected and we are very heavy hearted that you have decided to cancel your remaining order because of this.

We take all reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward. We are making an effort to ensure that our customers are made aware of the delays in the future.

Negative pidjones
Clinton, TN
March 17, 2016
Ordered a dwarf northern star cherry for the wife on 3-10-2016. Chose the "premium" plant as the arrival date estimate was two days earlier, and for a little more I figured we would get a better plant. Estimated arrival was 3-16-2016. Now it is 3-17-2016, and I've not received a shipping announcement email yet. Called "customer service" and find out they were back-ordered on the trees (were back-ordered when I ordered them on the 10th I find out). Back-ordered? this indicates to me that this is NOT a nursery, but instead a distributor that buys wholesale from real nurseries and resells to the public! Anyway, the representative said that the trees have arrived and are being "graded" now - estimated arrival now 3-23-2016! Just not happy with this at all. I paid for the "premium" plant for earlier arrival, as well as a better plant. Something tells me this will be no better than any other they ship. Sure wish we had picked one up at Tractor Supply before they ran out! No more Stark Bros. purchases for us.
Company representative comment on March 17, 2016:
On Mar 17, 2016 3:29 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to your order not shipping. When you place an order with us, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated arrival time and availability status of the product.

A living tree or plant that is shipped from Stark Bro's must meet certain criteria before it is shipped. Not only do we want to make sure that your tree or plant ships during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements. Our promise of satisfaction at Stark Bro's is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants to ALL of our customers. This is considered our “grading” process.

Negative Todd79
Springfield, MO
March 16, 2016
This was my second of what I thought would be many orders with Stark Brothers, but unfortunately it will be my last. Lackluster customer service, inadequate communication, and inaccurate shipping estimates. They bumped my shipping arrival date not once but twice and we're not helpful via phone or email. This is a big deal when you have to take time off work to get trees in the ground. Stick to a shipping arrival date or at least let the customer know when you cannot. I checked all items for arrival date before the purchase and made many selections based on that information. I was sent an email with the shipping date and order confirmation. Then as the time approached I called to verify the date only to find that the date had been bumped (no reason given) and the person told me they didn't have record of the shipping arrival date in my confirmation email, the new date was the only one they were aware of - they were less than helpful. Next, I rearranged my schedule as much as I could and emailed to ensure the new date would stick. I have not received a meaningful reply to the email and when I checked online today my order shipping arrival date had been bumped again - and yet again I was not notified. I cancelled my order and emailed the company again. Their plant stock is good from my experience but their customer service is terrible and their shipping apparently is like guessing the weather forecast - not accurate.
Positive clhtjh
Spring Lake, NC
February 15, 2016
Posted on February 15, 2016, updated February 15, 2016
While there are complaints about their shipping times, I have an entirely different experience.

When I ordered, I knew they\'d not only wait until they ship to charge me, but ship at a day that they felt was a good time to do so.

Knowing I needed to have the order charged right away (so I don\'t spend it first), I asked them to submit the charge. They did so on the day of asking.

I also know when my area is supposed to be frost free and that\'s when I need to plant. I asked them to change the shipping date to mid-April. What they did, was re-submit the order within their company and I got a new invoice that shows the shipping date of April 18th. That would be perfect for me.

For those who complain about shipping times, please look at your invoice. It DOES show when your plants are expected to ship.

You can either call or at the top of the page, there is a \"Chat Now\" button at the top of the page during the day (when the company is open).
On February 15th, 2016, clhtjh added the following:

I forgot to add....
This was no small order.
I ordered:

- Sweet & Tart Cherry Tree Collection Supreme Dwarf

- Mango Pawpaw (Grafted)

- Ichi-Ki-Kei-Jiro Asian Persimmon (Grafted)

- Sunflower Pawpaw (Grafted)

- NC-1 Pawpaw (Grafted)

Negative Vissara
Portland, OR
January 28, 2016
Posted on February 13, 2015, updated January 28, 2016
I will never order from these people again, I ordered two elderberries, which they shipped OVER A MONTH before my planting season. When I contacted them to complain they condesendingly informed me they \"shipped at the proper planting time for your area and if you can\'t plant dorment plants can be safely stored in your garage\".
It wasnt \"proper planting time\" a little clue there is how none of the three other nurseries I had orders in with have shipped yet and the plants were NOT dorment. The plants themselves seem fine but the customer service here and level of common sense is vile.
On January 28th, 2016, Vissara added the following:

Stark Brothers seems to feel the need to continue their pattern of vile service. After my last encounter with them I called and requested to be removed from their mailing list, twice, as I am never purchasing from them again. Behold, another spring season rolls around and I get another catalog from them. At this point I have to assume that they are hoping I will get confused and order from them by accident.
Company representative comment on February 13, 2015:
On Feb 13, 2015 2:50 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here regarding your elderberry plants that were recently shipped. We take all reviews to heart, as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

Our customer support manager will reach out to you after she further assesses the situation and gets a clearer view of the issue. We look forward to hearing from you.

Positive oaksdancing
Monmouth, OR
December 2, 2015
I ordered several trees from them last spring. Two trees failed to leaf out and perished. Once I informed them of the problem via US mail (no response to my email) they put me on order for replacements which arrived this fall. I know it will take several years for the trees to establish and bear fruit but I am appreciative that they did the right thing and replaced two of the trees.
Company representative comment on January 27, 2016:
On Jan 27, 2016 4:39 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We're glad you understand that weather and soil conditions have a lot to do with how well the trees will acclimate to your planting spot. Please do keep us posted and let us know how your trees are doing. We want you to succeed!

Negative Jenetta
Clermont, FL (Zone 9a)
November 21, 2015
Furious, furious, furious.

I have spent a small fortune (close to $600.00) over five years buying all sorts of fruit trees from them. NONE of them have produced fruit. Absolutely NONE. I have repeatedly called them over the years, taken their advice, done exactly what they told me to do, and yet still after all these years out of 23 plants I have absolutely no fruit. They grow healthy leaves and are getting bigger. But that's it. I now have 4 acres of fruit trees that are worthless. I called the company and spoke to customer service and asked if the owner would call me back. That was six months ago. Three more follow up phone calls and still not a phone call back from the owner. I want my $600.00 back! Then I go on their website today to get their phone number once again to call on Monday. Low and behold, I see that they have changed their zone for me. I went from 8B to a 9A and ALL of the trees that I have purchased are not in my zone now. No wonder I don't have any fruit on the trees. These people messed up when I placed my order, and apparently fixed it after my constant complaining, but yet I am STILL out $600.00 and have 4 acres to dig up of fruit trees. Please beware of these people. They are the absolute worst company I have ever had to deal with. Take your business somewhere else. Buy trees from your local nursery that have already grown for a few years and you can see what you are buying. All of these trees were sent to me as one stalk only with no leaves.
Negative xlotus123x
Brooklyn, NY
October 3, 2015
Placed an order on July16 and a few days later received email changing delivery date from July to Oct 10. So I called to ask why and was given the excuse of we would like to grow your trees more before shipping them to you. I patiently waited and today received a letter from Strark Bros saying my trees were out of stock and cancelled part of my order. So one week before delivery they cancelled my trees.

I called to cancel my 2 orders cause I was so angry and the lady on the phone just gave more lame excuses. WAITED 2 1/2 months, 1 week before delivery to tell me your out of stock.
I hope this review would help anyone to stay away from this company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Company representative comment on October 5, 2015:
On Oct 5, 2015 10:52 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to the Stark Custom Graft 2-n-1 Asian Pear tree not being available. When you place an order with us, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated arrival time and availability status of the product.

A living tree or plant that is shipped from Stark Bro's must meet certain criteria before it is shipped. Not only do we want to make sure that your tree or plant ships during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements. Our goal at Stark Bro's is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and unfortunately the Stark Custom Graft 2-n-1 Asian Pear tree does not meet our expectation.

We are sincerely sorry that this tree is not available and we are very heavy hearted that you have decided to cancel your remaining order(s) for bare root fruit trees because of this.

Negative terrisweet
Fallon, NV
September 17, 2015
I purchased 52 Neptune grape vines from Stark Bros at a cost of over $350. It took 3 years for the vines to fruit and the fruit looks and tastes like Muscat grapes. Stark Bros refuses to give a refund for shipping me vines that were not Neptunes.
Company representative comment on September 18, 2015:
On Sep 18, 2015 11:07 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here regarding the Neptune grapes you purchased in 2012 from our commercial sales division.

The final color, taste and appearance for a fruit variety at maturity is influenced by many factors other than the inherent genetic characteristics described in any publication. Some of these factors are climate, soil, training systems, pruning, fertilization, application of chemicals, etc. Because of these factors, Stark Bro's does not accept responsibility for the final color, taste and appearance of any variety.

Your situation has been fully assessed by management in customer support, production and purchasing in order to get a clear view of the issue. In 2012, the Neptune grape was the one and only green grape we were growing potted in our greenhouse facility. The other potted grape was the Thomcord. We did not grow, buy or sell muscat grapes.

We have offered you a credit on your account to be applied towards a future order and that offer still stands. Please contact our commercial customer support at 800.435.8733 if you would like the credit offer to be added to your account.

Positive jeremybro
Mulvane, KS (Zone 6b)
September 16, 2015
In the last year, I have received from Stark Bros: Jonathan apple (Fall '14), All-In-One Almond (Fall '14), Redhaven peach, Moorpark apricot, Santa Rosa plum, Kanza & Peruque pecans, 3 Boysenberries, 3 Jewel black raspberries, and 25 Eversweet strawberries. Now, at the end of the season, everything yet lives.

The fall-planted trees have had some trouble. The apple was debarked by deer over the winter, and the top 3/4 of the almond never leafed out, but both showed growth from the bottom, but above the graft. The apple is now taller that the original whip, but the almond had some insect pressure and isn't looking as good. So, the apple is not the fault of Stark Bros, but the almond is, at least partially.

Everything else looks great. Despite deer pressure in the spring, and a cool, wet May, the trees all are growing strong. The Boysenberries were potted, and slow to take off, but started putting on long canes in August. The raspberries actually put on a few berries, and have since put on many new canes, rooted at the tips, and grown more canes. I should have a pretty good crop next year. Likewise, the strawberries have taken over their bed and are still putting on a few berries.

I placed a few calls in to customer service regarding order details prior to shipment, and, in every case, I talked to a human who addressed my concerns quickly and professionally. One representative even pointed out that an item similar to the one I was requesting was on sale, and offered to change the order to the sale item, saving me money. Their website even allows you to go back and change orders that are waiting for spring to ship, so if you change your mind or want to add something between January and March, it is easily done without having to call customer service or deal with multiple orders and higher shipping costs.

All in all, I am impressed with the service and quality from this business, and will most likely continue to place orders from them in the future.
Positive RobertCrandall
Capac, MI
September 10, 2015
Posted on July 4, 2015, updated September 10, 2015
We have a small orchard (about 200 trees) and have been buying trees by Mail order and then online for about 45 years. I have gone through about every major nursery and learned a lot. I had not ordered from Starks for a long time so I thought I would try them again last year.
Just so everyone understands my unique situation. We had the coldest winter in our history two years ago and our coldest February in history this last winter along with cooler than normal summers so this has been very difficult on all orchards in Michigan. We also live in a strange Micro-Environment. We have a University of Michigan weather station 8 miles away and they have completely different weather than we do here in Capac.
I ordered a Spring Satin Plumcot, Green Gage Plum, Shiro Plum, Bubble Gum Plum and the Cream of the Crop Peach tree collection.
I was very disappointed when they arrived. The Plums were ok but the ‘Professional Pruning was just taking off every limb and cutting to 4’ so they fit in the box. The Peach collection had to have been a mistake. I only order Supreme so they were supposed to be 4’ tall with a minimum 5/8” trunk. They were about 3’ tall and the diameter of a pencil. Plus they were clearly in poor condition.
I planted them the day they arrived and the Green gage started growing within a week. The Shiro and Bubble Gum plum had very limited leave but no growth. The peaches were a total loss. Some had tiny hair-like leaves come out for about 3 days then turn jet black like they were burned by fire. The only one that had leaves was the Elberta Queen but it never leafed out this spring and it was past the warranty.
One the plus side they replaced all but the Elberta Queen without any hassle and the ones they replaced them with were in fact 4’ but still no limbs.
Due to the service I gave them another shot this year. I ordered a Golden Delicious, Candy Crisp apples, Harglow Apricot, Elberta Queen, Flamin’ Fury Jumbo Peaches, Royal Giant, Sunglow Nectarines, Elephant Heart Plum and six jewel Raspberries.
I have several Golden Delicious trees but know the only true ones come from StarkBros so you would think they would send out their best. In fact it was in the poorest condition and still has not started growing as of the 4th of July.
Most of the other trees are going well except for the Elberta Queen which has not produced a single leaf, the harglow Apricot, Sunglo Nectarine and the Burbank July Elberta Peach (replacement for last years).
I am still leaning toward Starks as my go-to but since I am in my 60s a lost year is annoying at best. I may upgrade this review depending on what happens next spring. I also use two other nurseries. They have different issues but I got 100% good trees from both of them this year.
One last note; That Green gage is a freak. It’s 6’ foot tall and has limbs growing 3’ out! It may become my favorite tree when it starts producing.

On September 10th, 2015, RobertCrandall changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Well another summer is coming to an end and we had some of the wettest conditions in years along with a cool summer.

I am upgrading my review to 'Positive'. I placed a large order of Apples, Peaches, Nectarines and Apricots this year.
I had 5 trees never break dormancy by June so I cut them in half. Two of them (Golden Delicious and Reliance Peach) took off after that. 3 did not but one was a replacement so I did not ask for a second replacement. I did report the Sun Glo Nectarine and the Stark Elberta Queen did not pass the scratch test and they promptly place the order for the replacements.
They would send them this fall but I find my success in better in the spring so she placed it to arrive in March.
The ones I have seen the most growth on are the Green Gage from last year which is about 9' tall and branched nicely. The CandyCrisp apple grew about two foot this summer and the FlaminFury Jumbo has so many braches, I had to thin them by 50%.
I am already starting to get my order ready for next spring for Stark Bros.
BTW I only order the Standard Supreme if they are available.
Positive alexleroc
Mansfield, GA
August 31, 2015
I've been gardening for three years and over this period have purchased a variety of products from Stark Bros, as well as from other online sellers. Some of what I planted from SB has died, but not after having responded positively to my garden environment. In most cases death was due to a late frost. In another instance I may have overwatered.

In addition to their products having faired well in my garden, I appreciate the expert advice their call center folks offer and info on their website (e.g., espalier instructions seem far more logical to me than what has been recommended by others).

Upon recently phoning to understand possible causes for two rhubarb-plant deaths, I was (pleasantly) surprised when SB offered to replace the two crowns (I was going to order two replacements).

Across my online purchases from all sellers, I haven't yet received a plant, or seeds, different from what I ordered and only once did a plant prove to be weak (one doorman red raspberry plant grew weakly whereas the companion plant in the same mailing put out so much fruit that the county agent said it was the most robust doorman red he had seen that season). The raspberry plants were not from SB...just checked and they don't offer that variety.

Positive Annakari
Campbell, OH (Zone 5b)
August 23, 2015
I have bought quite a few trees and other plants. I won't lie, I am absolutely not the best gardener... if it isn't pests, vermin, or just some failure on my part, it is a miracle.

In the past, I have bought plants from many many many places, but not online, except Burpee and Stark Bros.

I am going to leave feedback for both of these.

Yes, I have plants I bought from Stark die...some my fault, some maybe not so much.

I didn't complain much if I KNEW it was probably my fault. But this year, I didn't see my Paw Paws coming up, and I lost a pineberry strawberry, and then all the Kiwis went "blahhhhhuugggg" and tried to die.

Ok, I know I don't suck this bad this year, because look, that apple tree is still alive, so are all those plants, and I even figured out how to successfully move plants and my seedlings are doing amazing... plus, all the other plants in the order and overwinter plants had done well.

So, I complained. Technically, they didn't have to replace the Paw Paws, but they offered to if they were dead. She told me how to conduct the scratch test they were alive (the puppies didn't agree and pulled them out a month later).

The Kiwis... well all but the male were dead, except this one, it showed dead wood but it had a leaf on it. I was baffled, but she said it was dead. They sent me all new kiwis, but the male, because he was still alive.

So, I have had very good experiences with Stark. IF you have problems, you really really should call and talk to them and try the things they suggest if you can. I don't kill most of their plants without help from the pups, I cannot always say that about my local nurseries.
Positive eldonk
Glencoe, MN
July 7, 2015
Ordered several trees over a year ago and one peach tree did not survive. I waited till other trees leafed to be sure it was dead and that made it a couple months past their 12 month warranty. Based on other comments I was afraid they would not want to honor the warranty but I had no problem. Since they were busy during the spring it took a while to get a response but then they processed a replacement order with no problem.
Positive gardenkarma
Allston, MA
July 3, 2015
Gardening requires faith and responsibility. Stark has both, especially with their product and customer service. I urge you negative "gardeners" to exercise a little faith and responsibility, for your own good. This site isn't the place to debate your issue with the company. Pick up the phone and call or move along.

I have several years, past and recent, of positive experiences ordering with this company. Sure, their boxes don't say THIS END UP, but our friends in the delivery trucks don't mind that anyway do they? Sure, much of their product is pruned prior to shipping. It can't be to fit in those (spacious) boxes, but it is to balance the tree tops with the disturbed root system. Any gardener who isn't blinded by victim-rage knows this is important. It doesn't hinder growth and performance in the least.

If you have 100% mortality rate on anything, it's time to take responsibility and call a spade a spade. If you can manage to receive plants with dry roots in a package with wet paper inside, consider that you might be a wizard. If you wait for a clearance sale and complain about availability, I want to meet you because you make me laugh. If real-life gardening is too real for you, they have an app for that.

Just so I don't seem like a Stark BRO, I will say Stark could improve in their communications to customers when things are not going to ship as planned. I am a gardener, which means I'm the most patient person on the planet next to a mortician, but it's easier to rest easy if I know about the occasional delay or unexpected change to my order.

Stark, you have always been a pleasure to work with even when things don't go perfectly. It's gardening. Anyone who expects perfection has got the wrong idea in the first place.
Negative Toddott
Kentwood, MI (Zone 5b)
June 27, 2015
Posted on June 19, 2015, updated June 27, 2015
I order from dozens of companies. All of the plants I order survived, except those from Stark\'s. Raspberries, Gooseberries, Pear Trees. None thrived the year planted. All died the next year. The pear trees had been \"pruned\" by their professional staff before being sent. The branches had all been cut completely off, leaving two inch stubs. They claim this is good for the trees. It wasn\'t good for mine. I waited all summer, but it never did sprout. Bought a male and female Paw Paw. One died. Not sure which one. Rasberries...dead. Gooseberries (a plant I thought impossible to kill)...dead.
Never had this problem with any other companies. Bought cherry trees, apple trees, currants, peach trees, gooseberries, honeyberries, etc. and all survived...100 percent survival.
I ordered a raspberry and they sent the wrong variety. They immediately corrected the problem...but both the correct and incorrect raspberry died. I have dozens of other raspberry plants and all thrive.

On June 27th, 2015, Toddott added the following:

They are sorry I'm having trouble with my bare root raspeberry and suggested I try a different location. Uh...it's dead. I don't think a new location will help. It arrived not as a bare root, but as a "barley" root. As for pruning the tree to balance the leaf and root, if the tree had any decent root system, pruning (butchering) would not need to be so severe. none of the other companies I order from butcher their trees and yet they seem to be the healthy trees.
They suggested contacting customer service. Are they going to send me new trees or just suggest I plant them in a new location?
Company representative comment on June 26, 2015:
On Jun 26, 2015 12:18 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here regarding your bare-root raspberry plants, gooseberries and other fruit trees. We take all reviews to heart, as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

We professionally pre prune our trees because the digging process can break many of the tree’s feeder roots. The result? An imbalance may occur between the huge top growth and the roots’ ability to support it.This imbalance can heighten the effects of natural transplant shock. Pre-pruning our bare root fruit trees brings the balance between the roots & top growth back into proportion… ensuring the best chance for survival and transplant success. After pre-pruning, the growth will bounce right back once the root system is firmly established!

If you are still having issues getting your bare root raspberries started we suggest that you consider a new planting location. And I encourage you to reach out to customer support so that they can further assess your situation to see what can be done to help you.

Sincerely,

Stark Bro’s Nurseries & Orchards Co.

Negative tooner2
Charlotte, NC
June 25, 2015
Posted on April 1, 2015, updated June 25, 2015
Posted on August 25, 2014, updated April 1, 2015
Posted on August 16, 2014, updated August 25, 2014
I desperately want to like this company and be a regular customer of Stark Brothers. Everything in their catalog looks so tantalizing and they offer so many varieties at the click of a mouse, but my experience with them has been all bad. I have planted pear, apple, nut, and cherry trees under ideal growing conditions and had a 100% mortality rate. Something is wrong. The trees do fine the first summer, leaf out the second spring, then die the second summer in spite of adequate rainfall and watering and 2 summers that haven\\\\\\\'t been very hot. I spray consistently. I am losing the trees too late to take advantage of their satisfaction guarantee policy of 1 year.I have written to the company and recieved a prompt response but a very defensive one. Companion trees purchased at Lowe\\\\\\\'s are flourishing next to the dead Stark Brothers trees. I really don\\\\\\\'t believe that the cold winter or my gardening practices are responsible for 100% mortality for Starks and 0 % for Lowe\\\\\\\'s. Apple trees that won\\\\\\\'t grow in the Blue Ridge mountains? A lilac shrub I bought from (tiny, tiny) died as well. Be prepared to be disappointed and waste your money and precious time when ordering from this company. I am very sorry to say this, but it is what happened to me.
On August 25th, 2014, tooner2 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Since I posted my negative review on this site, Stark Brothers has been trying to work with me. They have offered to refund or replace the trees. I am going to accept 2 trees, plant them in pots, give them extra attention, and see if I can get them to live and grow over the next year. Will change the review to positive if that works.
On April 1st, 2015, tooner2 changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I can report that the apple tree replacement is sending out shoots from below the graft and nothing else so far. I have photos I\'d like to have attached showing the difference between the replacement cherry tree I received from Stark Brothers and the new cherry I ordered from Willis Brothers. Wow, what a difference in both top growth and root system! Stark Brothers continues to be a disappointment. It\'s good that they sent the replacement, but the poor quality of it makes me change my rating back to negative. I\'m finished with this company for good.
On June 25th, 2015, tooner2 added the following:

The company has never responded to my last email about the unsuitability of their replacment tree. Before ordering fruit trees from them understand this, the tree will die, likely during the second growing season. If you complain, the replacement tree they send you will also die. In the meantime you will have lost precious growing seasons. This company is not what it used to be.
Company representative comment on August 20, 2014:
On Aug 20, 2014 11:56 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here regarding your fruit trees. We apologize that you feel dissatisfied with the response from our customer support manager regarding our limited warranty. Our Promise of Satisfaction states that you are eligible for a free one-time replacement -- or a refund of your full purchase price (if you don't want a replacement) -- as long as it is requested within a year of delivery.

Our customer support manager will reach out to you again after she further assesses the situation and gets a clearer view of the issue. We look forward to hearing from you.

Negative flame7749
Bowling Green, KY
June 25, 2015
Stark Bros. use to be a great company with great plants. They must have changed management or something.
In the past 3 years I have consistently gotten trees, vines and bushes from them with the roots dried out. The bare root plants come with the roots tied up with plastic and wet material around them however during shipping the boxes are always turned upside down and the packing falls off. I have complained to them several times and the same thing happens. They do replace the plant free if it doesn't live however the second plant is shipped the same way and it gets you a year behind even if the second plant lives. If the second plant doesn't live you have to reorder the plant at cost, they did offer free shipping on the one pant, but would not take the shipping cost of the one plant off of the next order even though it was a big order so I canceled it. It seems to me that someone would correct this. I contacted a representative by phone, and she was not helpful nor very sympathetic to the fact that there plants are poorly packed and refused to let me speak to a manager. She told me that she would have a manager call me, but that never happened, I have waited a month before writing this to see if someone would call back.
Also to make matters worse, their "free professional pruning" consist of cutting off the roots and top of the plant to make it fit a box. Not just a few roots but major roots. It is a shame because the plants look like they were great size and healthy and the solution is simple, management needs to make sure the plants are trimmed and packed properly.
I probably won't order from them again.
Company representative comment on June 26, 2015:
On Jun 26, 2015 11:39 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here. We are very sorry that you did not receive a response from the customer support manager regarding your frustration and disappointment with the level of service you were provided. Your issue has been forwarded on and our customer support manager to reach out to you after your situation has been assessed.

Positive HamletAdams
Fort Wayne, IN
June 24, 2015
We ordered a set of 10 asparagus roots. After following the enclosed directions, only 4 sprouts had emerged after 3.5 weeks. Since those that had emerged were a 1 foot or taller, we had concerns that the rest were not viable. I contacted Stark Bros. via their online chat at their website. We had the problem solved and a new set of 10 roots on the way in less than 30 minutes. The roots arrived on schedule, and after soaking and planting almost all of the new 10 roots have sent up stalks. We are very happy with their customer service! Prompt, friendly and helpful.
Negative kevinhnc
Atlanta, GA
June 22, 2015
My review is based upon Stark Bros.' customer service and business practices. I only actually received one peach tree from them and I just planted it, so I have no comments yet on their products.

My experience- I ordered two peach trees from this company during their end of season clearance. One peach tree was on sale at half price, and one was at full price.

Well of course the half price item was out of stock (even though the website still let me order it). However, the company never notified me of this fact in any way, nor gave me the option to cancel my order.

Before I knew it, the full price item was shipped alone at the FULL shipping cost of BOTH trees.

I contacted a representative by phone, and she was neither helpful nor very sympathetic to the fact that any good company would have contacted me regarding the cancellation of my sale priced item in order to give me the opportunity to cancel the remainder of my order before it shipped.

Based upon this experience, I do not recommend anyone buy from this company, and I will not order from this company or any related company again.

I will update this review should the company offer any sort of sympathetic response or at least a refund of my shipping costs.
Company representative comment on June 26, 2015:
On Jun 26, 2015 2:51 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here. We take all reviews to heart, as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward. Our goal at Stark Bro's. is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and provide an exemplary level of customer service.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find your account so that I could ask our customer support manager to assess your situation. I ask that you allow us another opportunity to rectify this situation by either contacting customer support directly or emailing info@starkbros.com. Please mention this review when you contact customer support.

Positive scottPi
Milwaukee, WI
June 19, 2015
I ordered 3 of their All In One Almond trees last year. They shipped right out, and arrived looking good. All three started leafing, but then 2 just shut down. Sad. I let them know, and they scheduled me 2 replacements for this year.
This year, the one from last year woke up fine, and the 2 replacements arrived, leafed out, and look good. Very happy.
Positive kkennard
Hamlin, NY
June 13, 2015
Ordered multiple varieties of strawberry plants (150 plants total) that were received promptly. Within one week, all 150 bare root plants had leaves and several weeks later all 150 are doing well and growing vigorously. Very happy with the quality of the plants so far, the ease of ordering, and prompt delivery.
Positive harryliu
June 10, 2015
I highly recommend this company: great products and great customer service. Last year I bought 3 trees there and 2 are doing very well. The 3rd one was not. When I called in, the rep was very nice to talk to and quickly set up a replacement. I supposed to received the replacement yesterday. Unfortunately, FedEx lost my replacement. I called in this morning, the rep checked and set up 2nd replacement!! What a great company!
Positive MeganRoseMcLain
La Crosse, WI
June 8, 2015
Posted on June 8, 2015, updated June 8, 2015
Posted on June 8, 2015, updated June 8, 2015
I absolutely LOVE Stark Bro\\\'s!! So far I\\\'ve ordered 20 berry plants and seven fruit trees and will definitely be ordering more in future years. This is my go-to nursery and I only buy from others if they don\\\'t have something I\\\'m looking for. I would definitely recommend this nursery, the costumer service is outstanding and the website is VERY well organized and easy to navigate.
On June 8th, 2015, MeganRoseMcLain added the following:

I should also add that the shipping is very fast and all my plants are thriving!!
On June 8th, 2015, MeganRoseMcLain added the following:

Negative Dexterity
Lake Hiawatha, NJ
June 3, 2015
I purchased 4 blueberry bushes, fertilizers, coco bricks and two apple trees in November 2014. They were planted per stark brothers instructions.

I contacted them around 1/28/15 and complained early on that a few of the bushes looked dead. They said, it sounded like they died back and to give it until spring. I contacted them again in early April and didnt get a response until May 7th.

I explained the bush is still dead and there is an issue with my golden delicious apple tree. Again, emails have been ignored and I am being ripped off. I have sent pictures, numerous emails and no one responds.

The ones that died are the cross pollinators I need.

I was a repeat customer. Left yelp review and filed complaint with BBB. Cnat issue a chargeback because too much time passed.
Company representative comment on June 4, 2015:
On Jun 4, 2015 9:21 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your feedback here. We are very sorry that you did not receive an email response regarding your blueberry bushes that failed to live. Customer support did respond to your email request to replace your banana plant but must have over looked your blueberry request this spring.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you. Your blueberry plants are still covered by our limited warranty and can be replaced if you'd like.

Positive Feodosia
Versailles, MO
May 24, 2015
I've been ordering from Stark Bros. for a few years now ... Ive had more success with their plants then most other mail order places I've tried ...and I gave up on Walmart , big box store trees long ago ( all diseased ) .... I can't afford Stark's cherry trees but I have gotten nice peach and apple trees from them ... I have bought " blight resistant " pear trees from them but they have all succumbed to fire blight here in MO. I didn't write to them about the 2 Maxine "stark delicious " pear trees dieing on me because I reckon that this area might just be a bad place to try and grow pears . I don't think the fire blight was Stark's fault .. . I bought a Carpathian walnut tree from them that never sproated a single leaf , and a plum tree died on me this year but Stark replaced them without a problem ..... their replacement policy is trouble free and makes them a safe bet to buy from ...... yes, their pruning is extreme , to fit it in a long rectangle box but I'd rather start out with a nice straight , solid-trunked tree right at the get-go instead of dealing with some crooked twisted spindly thing that some other places send you .... all of my Stark trees have grown nice branches in no time and have become attractive trees that didn't need too much in the way of staking or corrective action . I like Stark Bros. and I'll keep buying from them for sure .

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.