Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

The scoop on 'Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company'

Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company

Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company has 403 products listed in PlantScout.

Louisiana, Missouri 63353-7800 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-325-4180

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company specializes in:

Company Comment, posted on January 28, 2016:
Greetings! Please feel welcome to post here knowing that we take ALL reviews to heart. Positive, Neutral, or Negative -- your feedback provides us with an opportunity to continue with what we do well and improve our service and your experience going forward.

If you have not done so already, please connect with our customer support team (800.325.4180) so that we know first-hand about your experience with our products and service.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative bdeason
Indianapolis, IN
July 3, 2017
Posted on June 23, 2017, updated July 3, 2017
I ordered an apple tree and a stake. I noticed that I wasn\'t charged the full amount. I sent a message to find out what was going on, but have not received a response. I have now received only the stake, no tree. There has been no communication from Stark Bros about whether the order for the tree has been delayed or cancelled. I have no idea whether I should wait or start looking elsewhere. I am also surprised that they would send me the stake without the tree. What am I supposed to do with just a stake?
On July 3rd, 2017, bdeason added the following:

If it takes nearly two weeks to send a quick email to inform a person that their tree order has been cancelled, then it is time to hire extra help.
Company representative comment on July 3, 2017:
On Jul 3, 2017 1:14 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to your order. We apologize for the delay in our response to your email as Spring is our busiest time of the year.

It is never our intention to ship a growing aide without an ordered tree or plant. Customer support will be happy to assist you with your order concerns. They can be reached at 800.325.4180; Monday thru Friday 8a-430p.

Negative garlicguyII
Devils Tower, WY
June 17, 2017
I placed an order for Goji and Honeyberry plants in January, to ship in mid April. Called 4/17 to check on an email they sent 4/15 that changed delivery date to a date we would be on a trip. Then they dropped the Goji's and left the Honeyberries for an unacceptable ship date. Tried to get that straightened out, but delivery didn't occur so I called CUSTOMER SERVICE again, during business hours, but got recorded message "you've called after hours". Left voicemail, but got no response. Finally called the "orders" line and got a bit of help. They order people got some action for me because we were leaving on a cruise. However, only 6 of the ten Honeyberries arrived. When I called yesterday, during business hours, I got the same "you've called after hours message twice. Finally got through and was told they would ship the rest next spring. I'm 79 years old, and waiting another year means I may not live to see a crop from them, so asked for a supervisor. Told "she's in a meeting". Asked to have her call me back. Never heard. Terrible Customer service.
Negative Mcchazo
Greenlawn, NY
June 14, 2017
Posted on June 10, 2017, updated June 14, 2017
Posted on May 19, 2017, updated June 10, 2017
Just received my order, have mixed thoughts. First I placed my order on April 23rd, the order wasn\\\'t shipped out until May 15th. The package made it from MO to PA and then was sent back to Start in MO because the \\\" shipping label is unreadable\\\". Which made me wonder how that could be possible. Oh well, so it was sent back to MO then made it back to me in NY today. When I got the package I realized why the label was unreadable... The package was a real mess, as if they ran it over, which left me with little hope for the plants themselves. They are pretty sad looking and all the branches were broken off for the most part but I guess time will tell how they turn out.

If they end up doing well I may change this to positive but as of now I\\\'m slightly disappointed.

If you\\\'re on the fence about this nursery I would look at the recent review breakdown. It may save you some frustration.
On June 10th, 2017, Mcchazo changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Dropped rating from neutral to negative.

One of the raspberry plants are now officially 100% dead and the other looks like it\'s still struggling a little.

After the experience and quality of product I received from this nursery I looked through others listed on here and ordered 10 raspberry plants. ALL TEN are showing tons of growth and these were planted DORMANT AND BARE ROOT!

Very disappointing. Oh well
On June 14th, 2017, Mcchazo added the following:

Disregard that 'struggling' second plant, neither plant survived the abuse.
Company representative comment on June 14, 2017:
On May 26, 2017 11:15 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your review. We are very sorry that to hear that FedEx had issues with your package.

If you have any issues please contact our Customer Support Team at 800.325.4180 and we will gladly replace or refund your order.

Sincerely,
Stark Bro\'s Nurseries & Orchards Co.

On Jun 14, 2017 3:05 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company added:

We are very sorry you have had a horrible experience, not only with FedEx but with our product not surviving.

Since 1816, Stark Bro's has promised to please customers with the very best fruit trees and landscaping products, no matter what. It's just that simple.

Our warranty states that If for any reason you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, let us know within a year of delivery and we will send you a free one-time replacement or refund your full purchase price if you don't want a replacement.

Please contact our customer support team to receive your replacement or refund, please call 800.325.4180.

Negative nh248
Strafford, NH
June 7, 2017
In the fall of 2016 I ordered a potted apricot tree. It arrived on time and was very healthy. I planted it and watered it. This spring I realized that the tree did not survive the winter.....I contacted Stark by phone and they immediately sent me a replacement tree. No complaints so far. When the new tree arrived, a couple of weeks after my phone call, I was very disappointed. When I opened the box the packing material and the plastic the tree was packed in all fell out. The roots were all dried out. This was not even a tree. It was a stick that was about 3 feet long. It did not have one branch on it. I did not have much choice, so I planted it. If this thing grows I will be very much surprised.......I sent Stark Bros. an Email expressing my displeasure at what I received as a replacement. I have not yet received a reply other than a note asking me to be patient as this is their busy time of year. If this tree/stick does not live, I will be buying a replacement, but it won't be from Stark Bros.
Company representative comment on June 14, 2017:
On Jun 14, 2017 3:17 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your review. We are very sorry for the delay in responding to your email as this has been our busiest spring ever. We are very saddened to learn that your replacement tree arrived in this condition.We completely understand your frustration and disappointment.

We take ALL reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward. Someone from our Customer Support Team will be reaching out to you directly to offer you a token of our apology. In the meantime, if you would like to speak directly with customer support please call 800.325.4180.

Negative BorderlineFarm
Sturgis, MI
May 8, 2017
Terrible customer service, equally terrible product quality.

Customer service will stop responding to you at their whim.

4 out of 7 fruit trees ordered last spring did not survive a full year, seemingly from bad grafts. The 3 that are alive still are in very rough shape.

Contrast the fruit tree quality from 2 other vendors ordered at the same time (over 35 trees) and ALL of the other trees are doing perfectly well.
Company representative comment on May 26, 2017:
On May 26, 2017 10:36 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your review. We are very sorry that to hear that a few of your trees have died. Our promise of satisfaction at Stark Bro's is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants to ALL of our customers. Excellent quality of our trees and plants is our #1 value as your partner in growing.

Our limited warranty offers you to a free one-time replacement within one year. Please contact our Customer Support Team at 800.325.4180 and we will gladly replace or refund these dead trees for you.

Negative Oasysconsulting
May 7, 2017
Ask for actual pictures of plants you want to purchase. Also ask the age. We ordered and received 8 one gallon blueberry plants. What we received were 8 2" pot sized bluberries stuck in one gallon pots. All green into the soil. No woody stalks. Base thinner than a pencil with one or two shoots. Local nurseries got their stock in. Plants anywhere from same to half the price. Multiple shoots.. some with dozens of shoots and flowering, Woody trunks and 4 to 8 times larger. Complaint to company resulted in NO response. WARNING: SEE THE PRODUCT BEFORE YOU BUY.
Company representative comment on May 26, 2017:
On May 26, 2017 10:27 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your review. We are very sorry that to hear that these plants were shipped in this condition. Our promise of satisfaction at Stark Bro's is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants to ALL of our customers. Excellent quality of our trees and plants is our #1 value as your partner in growing. Therefore, we completely understand your frustration and disappointment.

Those berries should have been well rooted plants with a least 6-12 inches of healthy new growth.

Your issue has been forwarded to our customer support manager and we’d like to know if you can send us images. We would like show this to our growers, prepping crew and shipping manager. If you can provide us with images please email info@starkbros.com.

Negative Cust22181100
Columbia, MO
May 6, 2017
I am now tending my third home orchard. In the past, I have worked as a landscaper. I have been planting Stark Brothers trees for almost 50 years and I have enjoyed a lot of success growing their trees.

But, since Stark Brothers merged with Miller Nurseries the quality of the plants has suffered some, and the customer service is much worse. This Spring they have just missed their 5th promised delivery date on the same order. This is particularly bothersome since I have read reviews on this site from other people that have received the same items since I placed my order.

The best time for planting here would have been 2 months ago. I assume they know this since I live 100 miles from their nursery, and they promised delivery then. Had they done this on a fall order I might be planting in the middle of winter.
Company representative comment on May 26, 2017:
On May 26, 2017 10:09 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your review. We are very sorry for all the delays with this years order. We completely understand your frustration and disappointment as we have been just as disappointed that we had product(s) that were not ready to be shipped on time this year.

Your continued support and suggestions help us grow into a better company.

Positive b_schr
Wayne, NE (Zone 4b)
May 3, 2017
Posted on February 15, 2017, updated May 3, 2017
Over the years I have ordered several fruit trees from Starks. One never leafed out at all. However all others were good stock and are still flourishing. Concerning the dead one, all I did was notify them and no questions asked, it was replaced. And unlike another nursery I\'ve ordered from and received bad stock, Starks didn\'t ask for shipping. *Very* satisfied with them!
On May 3rd, 2017, b_schr added the following:

Another order for replacement of second tree (the replacement mentioned above). I paid for this one, because unlike the first tree the original replacement was flourishing! But the rabbits got it this winter. Totally stripped the lower bark from about 8" up from the ground level down to the ground! Dang! Again the new tree looks great and is beginning to leaf out. I am still very satisfied. Other than arrival of the tree surprising me because I hadn't received a shipment notification, I have no complaints. And since that didn't really cause any problem, can't even complain about that.
Company representative comment on April 5, 2017:
On Apr 5, 2017 12:25 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We appreciate your positive review. Thank you for choosing Stark Bro’s for your nursery stock needs. We love being your partner in growing your own legacy and are honored that you selected us. Your continued support and suggestions help us grow into a better company. If you have any issues please do not hesitate to contact customer support.

Negative auntnana21
Fall Branch, TN
May 1, 2017
Posted on March 29, 2012, updated May 1, 2017
I\'ve ordered from Stark Brothers for years. My little orchard is now 100+ of apples, pears, peaches, cherries, and apricots. I recently moved an ugly apple tree (not a Stark but one I grafted myself) and ordered a Stark Orleans apple to replace it. Now I know we\'ve had an unusually warm spring but their growing rate is ridiculous! I mean that in a good way. A couple of weeks after planting I was walking through the newest part of the orchard and had to think about which tree was the replacement because it had leafed out so well! I\'ve only had to call in for a replacement a couple of times over the past decade or so and the customer service is top notch. No hassles or haggles and the replacements did well. Last year I had an unusual ailment with one of my trees. I sent pictures to Stark asking for help and advice. They responded very promptly, courteously, and were exactly right on the diagnosis! I lost the tree but the new one is flourishing.

How about the fruits? They seem to always produce within at least two years. I\'ve now won two master baker awards at the regional fair using the Montmorency cherries in my pie! Nuf said? Although my mother was a little disappointed over the peaches last year. My father came to help me pick fruit and noticed some of the newer peach trees had their first ripe peaches. Well we stood right there next to the tree and ate them all. None left for him to take home! Maybe I\'ll save her some this year.

My sister thought she wanted to plant an apple tree so I gave her my catalog. She thought they were expensive but I told her \"You get what you pay for. Order the Stark!\" I\'ve made the mistake in the past and bought a couple from Home Depot or Lowes. They were dug up and burned. She ordered the Stark and uttered the oh so painful \"You were right about Stark\" phrase. She has an all-around black thumb but her tree is thriving.

Are they a little more expensive than the local big box stores? Yes. Are they worth it? Absolutely! The customer service alone makes up for the price difference. I will be a long time customer and hope my kids will be one day also.
On May 1st, 2017, auntnana21 changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

My how time changes things. I've been a Stark Brothers customer for a very long time; couple of decades. This year I have become so fed up I am ready to wash my hands of them. Of the last few times I've ordered I've had issues with every one. Either the products aren't available or what they send is pitiful. I ordered two of the newest apple cultivars, only to be sent an email the day they are supposed to arrive that they aren't available until Fall. Ok. Fair enough but couldn't you have notified me before their estimated delivery date? I get the remainder of the order only to have 2 of the trees not up to par. Both smokehouse apples do not have a straight main stalk, but BOTH have their grafted scions coming out of the side of the root stock! Imagine an upside down L shaped tree. That's what I got. I called and was told that's how the smokehouse is supposed to be. Yes, I was rude and just hung up instead of listening that that BS. Really? That's the best excuse you can give me? Seriously? Same order is some blueberry and honeyberry bushes. Blueberries are fine both honeyberries are lacking but one was just down right ridiculous. It wasn't even an inch tall and less than 2 inches across. Are you joking? I was so flabbergasted I took pictures thinking surely this was a mistake. No sense in calling and getting more BS so I emailed them. Their response - 5 days later - Sorry. We'll send you a replacement but we don't have any right now so it will be the fall before you receive one. Six months AFTER I've already paid for it, mind you. Ok. I'm a loyalist so I order more product. Next order - a week goes by after order and I've heard nothing. Check online, scheduled to ship the next week. Yes! Next week, heard nothing. Check online again date has been pushed out a week. Ok. Check that week and guess what? Yep. Pushed out another week. End of that week I see I have been charged for the order. Great! Supposed to be delivered Tuesday. Monday afternoon I haven't received a shipping email so I check online and it still says processing. I call and am told oh they are in the shipping department scheduled for delivery tomorrow. So they haven't actually shipped and you're telling me I will receive them tomorrow? Yes she says. Well guess what? I did not receive them. I call and inquire and am told they are in shipping. Well yes but that's what I was told yesterday. So the smartaelic rep says "well I guess they didn't make the truck then did they"? Excuse me? "You'll get them sometime this week". I did. Sort of. Friday evening. And I received NO shipping notification. Part of the order was received. 2 trees missing, not on the packing slip. I check online. Scheduled for delivery on Monday. It's Monday. I check online and now they're scheduled for Friday. So I call to double check. The rep tells me no, I won't be receiving them because they are out of stock until Fall. Ok so why wasn't I notified? Why does it still say I will be receiving them this week. They'll get around to notifying you and updating it. Whattha???
This is NOT the company I started ordering from 20+ years ago and will NOT be the one I stick with. I can handle a little bad customer service if the product is worth it. It no longer is. When they actually have product it has been severely inferior and the customer service has turned into a joke. It truly is sad because they used to be the best in the business.
Neutral bent3well
Birmingham, AL
April 28, 2017
My experience with Stark Bros. is mixed.

I believe they have some of the best customer service you can find.

However, they are terrible at estimating delivery dates. I am sure they are working toward a solution, but my patience was worn out after the third time I called their support line. I think I made my 6th call in two months today.

Every time I called, the service rep was very cordial and helpful. What they told me about delivery expectations rarely actually happened, but I do feel they made concessions to make things right. I doubt I'll make another purchase with them, but they will work with you if you treat them kindly.

I would suggest picking what you want and then call them to split it into different shipments. I recommend asking for Debbie B. when you do call. She was very helpful and understanding when I called today.

Fingers crossed that the remainder of my order arrives next week!
Company representative comment on May 6, 2017:
On May 6, 2017 9:59 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your neutral review. We are very sorry for all the troubles with this years order being delayed and the lack of communication that took place. We completely understand your frustration and disappointment as we have been just as disappointed that we had product(s) that were not ready to be shipped on time this year.

We greatly appreciate the positive note in regards to our customer support team.

We take ALL reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward. Your continued support and suggestions help us grow into a better company.

Positive Brad_F
Martin, MI (Zone 6a)
April 27, 2017
I have ordered 2 times from Stark Brothers and both times have been a great experience. The first time was years ago, I believe 2 Cherry and 2 Pear trees. I do not live at the residence that they were planted anymore, but I do drive by occasionally and they are still beautiful trees!

Last year I ordered 3 PawPaw trees and 4 Kiwi vines. The male Kiwi came DOA and looked it, I called CS and they asked me to plant it anyways and let it sit for 3-4 weeks. I gave it 4 and all that was left was some shriveled roots. I called CS back and the person I talked to was hesitant to believe me, I even offered to take a photo of the dead one that was in a row along with 3 other healthy, growing vines. She then agreed to send another one out, and it arrived much healthier than the first. Now I have an entire arbor started with Kiwi vines that all budded and leafed beautifully this spring. The PawPaw trees were great, but they do not look like they survived the winter, I am giving them more time, but I do not have good luck at all with the PawPaw, not the first that have died on my watch.

I am looking forward to ordering some Goji berry bushes from them later this spring after I prep the area and move some lily plants to a new location.
Company representative comment on April 27, 2017:
On Apr 27, 2017 12:18 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We appreciate your positive review. We love being your partner in growing your own legacy and are honored that you select us time and time again.

If you think you’re Pawpaw is dead we suggest that you do a scratch test. Try scratching the trunk or main stem with your thumbnail. If the underlying tissue is greenish, the tree or plant is still alive. At this point, it should still grow. If it is dry and brownish, it has died.​ If it has died, please contact customer support at 800.325.4180.

Thank you so much! We look forward to continuing to work with you for years to come.

Neutral GardenManDonald
GLENSHAW, PA (Zone 5a)
April 21, 2017
I ordered 4 fruit trees and they arrived in a box with the packing around the roots all dried up. Didn't have high hopes but soaked the roots and planted anyway. Three of the trees have sprouted tiny leaves so they appear to be alive. And the size of the trees is fine.That's why the rating is neutral.

Company representative comment on April 24, 2017:
On Apr 24, 2017 3:22 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your honest review and rating us at a Neutral. Bare root trees can dry out a little during transit. This is why we recommend that you allow your tree’s to soak in water an hour or two before planting. We thank you very much for taking the proper steps and ensuring your success. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact customer support at 800.325.4180.

Negative Ben_H
Freeport, IL
April 20, 2017
I have placed a few orders with StarkBros in the past. All of the products I have received so far have been fairly high quality, and arrived in excellent condition. Their Refund & Return policy looks great, but I have not had to use it yet.

Unfortunately, my recent (larger) orders with this company have not been proceeding smoothly, and I am now realizing that they have very poor customer service:

1. Shipping estimates are so misleading that it would be better if they did not provide them. Delays are understandable; however, the shipping dates for some of my orders have repeatedly arrived and were then pushed back by only a couple of days. This cycle has repeated over 10 times on one order. I have spent the last three weeks planning my life around the arrival of a shipment that I'm beginning to suspect may never arrive.

I sent an email to the company recommending they allow customers to select "No ship" dates for online orders. I assume it would greatly reduce the load on their customer support team if people weren't calling to make sure their unexpectedly delayed orders weren't now going to arrive while they are unavailable. Their website already seems superior to their competitors' from a usability and technical standpoint, so I assume they are capable of adding this feature.

2. Their Order & Shipping Policies page states "For products purchased online, customers are not charged until the order has shipped." They apparently do not comply with this policy. Within the past two weeks, I have been charged roughly $1000 for items that have not yet shipped.

They should either update their policy or their payment process, so they align.

3. Orders are not handled on a "First come, first served" basis. I placed an order for a gift for someone in a colder zone than mine, and it shipped immediately, over a week ago. The exact same items in that order were also on an order that I placed months earlier, but nothing has not shipped yet. I selected the option for my order to be split, but they are apparently holding it for some others items in the order.

It may be wise for customers to place multiple small orders rather than one larger order if they hope to minimize long shipping delays and cancellation of items by StarkBros.

4. I recently spent a lot of time on the phone in hopes of contacting them to avoid shipment while I was out of town. After 30 minutes on hold, an automated message told me that I was 9th in line. I gave up, and sent them an email along with my order information instead. It is a week later, but I never received a response. Their customer service department is not sufficiently equipped to deal with the problems their customers are currently having with them.

I hope that ordering from StarkBros does not result in me losing an entire year of growing. I am beginning to wonder if I should cancel everything and place an order with another vendor before it's too late.
Company representative comment on April 24, 2017:
On Apr 24, 2017 3:53 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We are very sorry to hear that you have had troubles with your larger orders and with the level of customer service you have received. We appreciate your feedback regarding all of the topics you have brought to our attention. We take ALL reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward. This spring has been an unexpected, challenging season on all levels. Our hold times have been high on the phones, we have experienced delays with responding to emails and our orders normally are charged and shipped the same day but we have fallen behind. We seriously appreciate our customers patience and understanding and hope that you not lose faith in our ability to be your partner in growing your own legacy. We completely understand your frustration and disappointment as we are just as disappointed.

As a token of our apology, we will be refunding you any shipping fees that you were charged and we would like to offer you free shipping on your next order with us. Your account has been noted by customer support.

Negative cluster
new freedom pa,
United States
April 20, 2017
placed an order in January 2017 . Now April, 11 days prior to ship date I called and left a voice message. 4 days later, still waiting. when calling the company, was on hold for over 30 minutes each time. I called a few times.
1 week prior to ship date, I get am email that said part or all of my order has been cancelled .It did not say what was cancelled, so, i call again, to wait 45 on hold. Our plans were to plant asasp but, now I must start again. I had never used Stark Bros nurseries before and I will not use them again

thanks for nothing!
Company representative comment on April 24, 2017:
On Apr 24, 2017 11:20 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding your order issue and the long wait time to speak with customer support. This is our busiest time of year and wait times are typically high during our spring season. This year call volume is exceptionally high. We appreciate our customers patience and understanding while waiting.

When you place an order with Stark Bro’s, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. Sadly, weather conditions resulted in a crop shortage this year that meant we couldn't produce enough of some varieties. We wish we could immediately manufacture more, but it just takes time for trees and plants to grow.

I strongly suggest that you wait to speak to customer support so that they explain what was canceled.

Negative DashHabar
Upper Marlboro, MD
April 19, 2017
A fig tree was ordered and delivered well packaged. When unpacked, the tree appeared grafted, which I then expected a odd-shaped trunk and if successful two or more trunks. It appeared dead but have received trees dormant before and didn't believe the worst. I planted it the same day in container with premium soil pre wetted to dampness. After 10 days the poor tree was dead. Two e-mails to Stark have gone unanswered after each assured it was received and "someone" would be getting back to the e-mail address I provided in 24 hours.
Company representative comment on April 24, 2017:
On Apr 24, 2017 10:49 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your email as this is our busiest time of the year. We are sorry for any mis communication regarding the automatic response you received from Stark Bro’s. Our response does not state to expect a response time within 24 hours. It states “we are making our best efforts to respond to all messages in a timely fashion but due to increasingly high volumes please expect a delay in response. If you require immediate assistance please contact customer support by dialing 800.325.4180 Monday-Friday 8a-430p (CDT).”

We are very sorry to hear that your fig was dead on arrival. Not only do we want to make sure that our trees and plant ship during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements.

If you need a replacement for your fig, please contact customer support at 800.325.4180 so that we can arrange your free tree to ship as soon as its available.

Positive OldWrangler
Spring, TX
April 16, 2017
I find most people tend to write more often when they are being critical and not when they are satisfied with an order. I think it is equally important to make favorable comments.
I recently tried an order from Stark Bros. as it had been many years since I had ordered from them. My order was shipped immediately and received in 2 days. The plants were shipped with wet shreaded paper on the roots and the plants were well grown and healthy. I received 2 Peach Trees, 3 Grape vines and an asst. of Gooseberries. Everything has been planted and buds are coming from everything. Exceptional plants and I have re-ordered again just now. If all the orders they ship are like mine, they should never have a negative comment again.
Company representative comment on April 19, 2017:
On Apr 19, 2017 12:21 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We appreciate your positive review. Thank you for choosing Stark Bro’s for your nursery stock needs. We love being your partner in growing your own legacy and are honored that you selected us again. Your continued support and suggestions help us grow into a better company.

Positive thackattack100
Hebron, IN
April 3, 2017
I have ordered from Stark Brothers for a while now and have had nothing but the best of experiences. After reading some of the negative reviews, I feel I need to write about my experiences. The trees are always very healthy with green buds and large moist root systems. I get some of the best fruit off of these trees that I have ever tasted any where. They have altered the shipping dates a few times, but changing temps change the safe planting time for trees. Also their trees are not grown at the nursery but rather at their growing fields, and are then shipped to the nursery to send out to customers. I can see how this also affects the shipping times. Their customer service is excellent! I have had a few trees die in the past and they had no problems sending me free replacements with no questions asked. I have had questions with regard to diseases with my apple trees, and they are very quick to respond with a solution to the problem. I will always go to them for my fruit tree and plant needs, and will never think about going to any one else. I have that much confidence in them.
Company representative comment on April 5, 2017:
On Apr 5, 2017 12:23 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We appreciate your positive review. Thank you for choosing Stark Bro’s for your nursery stock needs. We love being your partner in growing your own legacy and are honored that you select us time and time again. Your continued support and suggestions help us grow into a better company.

Negative griffgreen
Carrollton, OH
March 29, 2017
I am sorry to say that our first attempt to purchase from Stark Bros left us with a negative overall experience. We ordered 60 pear trees in October 2016 for estimate ship date of March 10, 2017. We were required to provide a deposit at order.

When no trees were showing up the week of March 10, we called on March 15 (Wed) to find out the status of our order. We were told it had not yet shipped due to changes on the order. This was a surprise to us because we had not been sent any notification of a change of order.

After talking with two different reps, we developed a replacement order to still meet our need for 60 pear trees. We asked the second rep to please email and call us to let us know if the shipment would be sent Friday the 17th or not.

As of March 29th, no email or messages from Stark Bros reps. We called again and were told the shipment would not happen until the following week. Now we were nearly 30 days beyond our estimated ship date and had several reschedules. This was not acceptable for our business needs, so we asked to cancel the entire order and refund our deposit. We are told the deposit should post to our credit card within 2-3 business days.

We are posting as negative because of the overall lack of communication from Stark Bros. regarding the status of our order and the multiple delays in regard to shipment.
Positive midnightbluecat
Virginia Beach, VA
March 17, 2017
I ordered blueberries, dwarf apricot trees, bush cherries, kiwis, and grapes. They arrived carefully packaged in good condition. The blueberry plants are beautiful and look very healthy. My dad and grandfather bought from Stark bros before I was born. I highly recommend them and will buy again.

Positive 150053
Fresno, CA
March 15, 2017
I ordered two of their urban apples red and green, a pack of blackberries, and two grapevines. My estimated delivery date was moved back twice from 2/9 to 2/17 and then to 2/24. I was starting to get worried since my area can start experiencing weather in the 80's in early spring. I called around the 16th and they said my order would be going out that day or the next, I guess it did since I got it on the 22nd or 23rd. I wish the FedEx driver had bothered to ring the doorbell instead of just leaving the box on the doorstep baking in the sun. Both apples had plenty of roots and were moist in the package, one of the grapes had a good size root system, the other was pretty small, maybe like five roots. In the last couple days everything has started leafing out even the dinky grape, so nothing was a dud. The blackberries had somehow gotten knocked out of their cell packs and were a mess, but in the ground they seem to be growing fine so not a problem. I would order from them again.
Company representative comment on April 5, 2017:
On Apr 5, 2017 12:24 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Neutral JoelS
Dallas, NC
March 9, 2017
Posted on March 6, 2017, updated March 9, 2017
Wow! I have been doing business with Stark Brothers for decades and my dad was also a big fan of them back in the 1990s. I never thought I would leave them a negative review, but have they gone downhill big time and fast! I have nearly a $600 order from Jan 3 that has been back-logged and not able to ship for months. This is the 3rd or 4th time that they have changed the ship date, each time giving a different excuse. Was supposed to arrive the latest this past Sat March 4 after I called them last week and they said they were waiting on a back-order of plants to arrive from out of state to complete the order. I checked the order today and now the estimated ship date is April 21! I understand estimated and that these are live plants, but is that really the best that you have for estimated, changing the ship date multiple times and by an increment of 7 weeks! That is way off bad business!
It has not helped that I have called multiple times and have been on hold for long periods of time, of which never had happened in the past years. I was always proud of their superior product, and I hope it stays that way, but this is unacceptable. They have not offered any free plants or compensation for all of this frustration that I have been dealing with them. Not sure what has happened!
On March 9th, 2017, JoelS changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

They did call me back yesterday and offered a $100 credit towards my most recent order and apologized for all the problems that I have had with them recently. So in all fairness I wanted to add this and have changed my rating accordingly so that it is not negative.
Company representative comment on March 10, 2017:
On Mar 10, 2017 9:01 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Thank you for leaving your honest review and updating your rating to Neutral.

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding all the troubles with this years order being delayed. We completely understand your frustration and disappointment as we are just as disappointed that we have product(s) that are not ready to be shipped.

Negative fitzgeoff
Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8a)
March 9, 2017
Never again will I ignore the bad reviews of a company on this site, like I did with Stark.
I ordered three roses and they sent an expected delivery date. Then every few days the date was advanced, over and over again until it was almost a month later and still no roses.
Why take an order and issue a delivery date when you're not able to fulfill the order?
When I ordered they showed 23 roses were available. If there were why couldn't they get them shipped?
Lastly, when I called to cancel I had to wait over 15 minutes for Customer Service. There were several calls ahead of me. (That's no surprise) When I finally got through to an employee and told her I was cancelling, there wasn't the least interest in why I was cancelling which is indicative of their level of service.
Oh, they got my email address when I ordered and began to bombard me with their sales notices, but never once updated my order status or provided an explanation or apology.

Company representative comment on March 10, 2017:
On Mar 10, 2017 10:20 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies regarding your order of roses being delayed and the long wait time to speak with customer service. This is our busiest time of year and wait times are typically high during our spring season. We appreciate our customers patience while waiting.

When you place an order with Stark Bro’s, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. Unfortunately, we are experiencing delays on product(s) being ready to ship this spring. We completely understand your frustration and disappointment as we are just as disappointed.

Your issue was forwarded to our customer support manager and we will be sending you three free roses as soon as they become available.

Negative Bunnyfoo
Ravensdale, WA
February 27, 2017
Posted on February 17, 2017, updated February 27, 2017
First I\'d like to say that I\'ve checked Stark Brothers out on the BBB and the company is listed as only being in business for 19 years. This indicates to me that the company name and reputation I grew up hearing about no longer exists, company was sold to new owners that are running on the original Stark Brothers name.
I received an advertising packet from Stark Bros on January 17, 2017. Cool! Plants must be ready to get mailed out to people! I ordered a Dwarf Saturn Peach on January 19th specifically as a Valentine\'s gift for my husband this year. Unfortunately I don\'t have the dates I\'ve contacted Stark Bros concerning my order. I\'m so irritated at this point I delete them because I can\'t stand seeing their name every time I get into my email. I made initial contact concerned about the freezing temperatures in my area and delivery of a bare root tree. I got an answer that sounded like I was talking to a politician. Something about Stark Bros not being able to commit to exact shipping dates due to sending live items. I\'ve had a vanilla orchid and cinnamon tree from Florida both shipped to me in the middle of winter. It made no sense to me and I told the representative so, never using foul language or being disrespectful. I just disagreed. He again came back with the same excuse. Why was I sent a mailing saying plants were ready then?! Not wanting to go back and forth through email I told the guy he was just irritating me more and not to respond, I was done. I\'ve since contacted the the company through email just to say \"still waiting\". It\'s been almost a month since I ordered. Valentine\'s Day came and went (my husband got nothing for Valentine\'s Day). I\'ve watched my shipping date go from Feb 9, 11, 22, 23, 25. Really?! I\'d love to cancel, don\'t want to do business with them. But at this point I suspect I\'ve ticked them off merely because I disagreed with their customer service, stock, isn\'t really the truth answer. In fact I read in a review right here where Stark Brothers admits to being behind. So just be honest with your customers. We\'ll understand a lot better than being treated like we\'re stupid, willing to accept answers that make no sense. I\'m not canceling my order. I\'m waiting to see just how long Stark Brothers is going to let this go on, just how unprofessional they are going to be about it.
On February 27th, 2017, Bunnyfoo added the following:

Update: Still a negative
Checked my order with Stark Brothers the day the company responded to my review. Yes, they have waived the shipping fee. The shipment date was actually moved up to 2-25 from 3-1. Coincidence that the new ship date was the same as my last noted ship date in my original review?On the date of my original review the ship date on my order was 3-1. Silly me, told my husband his Valentine's gift was finally coming. It didn't arrive! Checked the shipment date. Surprise! They moved it again to 3-4. Checked again today (2-27) and the ship date has changed AGAIN to 3-7. That's s total of at least 9 ship dates being given to me in the 39 days since I initially ordered. Still waiting...

On a side note, in my original review I mentioned telling one Stark customer representative not to email anymore due to no progress being made with him. I find it interesting that Starks response to my review includes stating they aren't contacting me thru email per my request. That's not what I said at all. Just another excuse by Stark not to have to deal with me.

Random FYI: Starks lists "professional pruning" in red writing on their premium trees. However if you dig into the site it clearly states that all their trees are professionally pruned. Buying a premium tree may get a bigger tree. Or that may be just as deceptive as stating premiums get professionally pruned when in reality all trees get pruned. I too suspect this is done for trees to fit the smallest box possible thus saving the company money in shipping. I'd rather have an intact tree that I can make the choice to prune or not.
Company representative comment on February 22, 2017:
On Feb 22, 2017 8:59 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

When you place an order with Stark Bro’s, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. Our shipping season of our bare root nursery stock begins early February due to our weather conditions here in the state of MO.

Due to the timing of harvesting, grading and inspection of our nursery stock some items are back ordered from time to time. Not only do we want to make sure that our trees and plant ship during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements.

Your issue was forwarded to our customer support manager and we have waived your shipping fee as a token of our apology for the delay. In respect to your request to not email, a response will not be sent via email.

Positive lwbuchholz
Manhattan, MT
October 5, 2016
Posted on May 15, 2015, updated October 5, 2016
I ordered from Stark last year and the trees came through wonderfully. However they didn\'t make it through the winter and I contacted them and they promptly sent replacements! I will continue to order from them and recommend them to anyone else who wants what they offer.
On October 5th, 2016, lwbuchholz added the following:

I had ordered a cherry tree from them and because they arrived early spring one yer later I didn't know if it had lived until the 1 year guarantee was past. I reviewed the tree on their site and they immediately got back to me and are shipping a replacement next spring. I really like this company and will continue not only to order from them but send my friends to them too!!
Positive mylittletrees
Corning, OH
September 20, 2016
Overall I'm pleased with my experience with Stark Brothers this past spring. The apple trees that I ordered arrived safe in a sturdy box. All leafed out and have grown reasonably well considering this is their first season. I am attracted to Stark Bros. because of the many varieties of fruit trees that they sell. I also like that they stand behind their trees with good customer service.

The only issue that I had was with one of their "premium" apple trees. This tree was nice and big with a perfect straight trunk, but it was diseased! The main trunk had irregular sunken places in the bark that were black in color. It was blight or canker. I was very disappointed that my premium tree was diseased and possibly contaminating the others. A call to customer service resolved the problem. Around here the Stark Bros. name in trees is highly respected, so I hope this was just a random oversight, but I expected better quality from Stark Bros. It would also be nice if customer service were more knowledgeable about the rootstocks used on the apple trees. Serious apple growers like to know the disease resistance and growth characteristics of rootstock.
Positive jimh6278
Salt Lake City, UT
August 16, 2016
I have nothing but good to say about Stark. I have been a customer for over 10 years and have always found the customer service top notch. They sent the wrong tree once but acknowledged the error and sent me a replacement no charge. Every tree and variety has produced fruit. Thanks Stark.
Positive eusriso
Lynchburg, VA
July 12, 2016
I ordered some supplies from Starkbros and saw they had an end of season sale. On a whim I bought 3 apple trees for $4.99 each. I wasn't expecting much as this was June. The trees I received were about 3 foot in height, just budding with a few small leaves. All trees had really good root systems. It took 3 days for the order to come central Virginia. Trees were packed well. Starkbros refrigerates there trees. Two weeks later my trees are full of leaves and growing well. I can highly recommend Starkbros. One negative, Starkbros sells by size - dwarf, semi-dwarf, etc. They do not sell by rootstock. I contacted them about the root stock and got this answer - Dwarf - M26 or M9, Semi-dwarf M7 or B118.
Positive jennib2774
Upton, WY (Zone 4a)
May 25, 2016
I had a very large order with Stark it arrived on time and in mostly good condition. The kiwi I ordered looked awful but they replaced it quickly as well as the three blueberries that did not do well. So far everything is coming up nicely and they are relatively quick replying to my emails for any questions or concerns.
Positive ksguy
Topeka, KS
May 11, 2016
I have been shopping for a weeping willow tree for a large area in my front yard that tends to stay really wet. Local nurseries wanted an arm and a leg, and I finally stumbled upon Stark Bros. My experience with them has been great.

I ordered my tree on Thursday, and they were having a 200th anniversary special on berry plants, so I had them toss 3 raspberry plants in there as well. The goods arrived at my door yesterday. All of the plants had very extensive, healthy looking root systems, and all plants seemed to be coming out of dormancy and had fresh growth on them. The root systems were packed well in damp shredded paper.

There was however a minor problem with the graft on the Willow tree. Unfortunately I got home after hours, so I could not speak with them, but I called left a message for their customer service team. This morning right after 8 AM they called me back and said they were sorry and would send a new tree out to me right away. Fantastic customer service. You hear that the true measure of a company's service is how well they respond to problems, and in this case I'd say they're great. I will not hesitate to do business with them again.
Positive rdhegge
Los Angeles,
United States
May 7, 2016
I ordered a cinnamon spice dwarf apple from Stark. I ordered on Sunday and had it on Thursday - very fast. It looked like a stick, but it also looked like the branches and roots were trimmed expertly. I stuck it in the ground according to instructions and hoped. It took almost a month, but a little green started showing and it has now burst out all over in beautiful green leaves. I think this will be a really nice tree and look forward to eating those apples. I'm quite happy with Stark.
Negative kenwhitten
South Woodstock, CT
April 20, 2016
After placing an order on line I received an e-mail that my order could not be processed. I tried the on line option and was unsuccessful at fixing the problem. I came home from work early the next day to call and they had closed early so I got a message. I called the next day to try to solve the problem. During the 15 minutes I was on hold I began to wonder If I was going to have problems if I needed customer service after the sale. I took a look here and see that nearly 25% of the comments were negative so I cancelled the order when "customer service" finally answered. I like to have more faith that I will not need customer service, let alone get an automated answering service that tells me over and over how much they appreciate my business.
Positive ljkewlj
Norwich, CT (Zone 6b)
April 19, 2016
I have been a buyer of Stark Bros. since 2012 and have generally been happy with what they have sent me until this fall. My order consisted of three trees, two apples and one asian pear. I emailed them that one of the supreme trees I was disappointed with and never heard back from them.

This spring I emailed them again as to my displeasure with the Hardy Giant Asian tree they sent me this fall and attached a pic showing that the tree did fall short of their own specifications for being a supreme tree. To their credit they did promptly email me back and set up a replacement tree to be sent to me.

The tree they sent me as a replacement really exceeded their specs. this time as it was a 1" caliper tree. I am very happy with the replacement tree they sent me and will continue to order from this company!
Neutral linuxbob
Wichita, KS
April 13, 2016
Posted on April 6, 2016, updated April 13, 2016
In March I ordered a Pink Lemonade Blueberry and a Peach Sorbet Blueberry along with a Raspberry Shortcake plant. All 3 arrived in a timely fashion and looked good except they were a bit small. Now, a month later they look like they did upon arrival so I sent email requesting tips on getting them to put out new growth. They responded promptly but they misread my description as \"blackberries\" and advised me to test the soil ph as my potting mix was too acidic and was the reason that the leaves were red. After writing back to them they realized that they thought I asked about blackberries. A few email exchanges later I still had no answer so I called and explained what I needed yet it seemed that the representative had no clue about what to do and sounded as if she was reading off of a prepared script. Finally I simply thanked her and hung up. Again I emailed Stark Brothers (repeatedly) and they simply ignored my messages. I\'ll never order from them again. They do not offer quality support after the sale and their telephone customer service isn\'t knowledgeable enough to answer anything except order related questions.
On April 13th, 2016, linuxbob changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I received an apology from Starkbros.com today and they offered to refund my money or replace the plants this fall since they're out of stock now. I accepted their replacement plants to be shipped to me this fall. If that goes well then I will change my rating to positive. For now I changed it to neutral.
Company representative comment on April 13, 2016:
On Apr 13, 2016 3:16 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

We are deeply sorry that there was a misunderstanding when trying to help you diagnose the issue with your plants. Our goal at Stark Bro's Nurseries & Orchards Co. is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and provide an exemplary level of customer service​. Based on the events you described in your feedback here on Dave’s Garden, we did not meet this goal.​ We did not intentionally ignore your email. This time of year is our busiest time of year and we are doing our best to respond to everyone in a timely manner with accurate information.

The BrazelBerries® are new to Stark Bro’s this year and we have also added a lot of new members to Customer Support. Our new team members are experts in training and are willing to help you.

Your issue has been forwarded to our customer support manager and we will reach out to you directly. We hope that you allow us the opportunity to rectify this situation because we take all reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

Positive Fishman1
Selden, NY
April 7, 2016
Just received an order from Stark's for a Starkcrimson Red Delicious apple,(supreme dwarf), a Ultramac Spur-type Macintosh apple,(supreme dwarf) and a Stark Saturn peach,(Supreme dwarf XL). First off, the shipping took me by surprise, almost overnight...Very commendable. The two spur apples are kind of small for the money paid, but the varieties were not available elsewhere. The peach however was much smaller than anticipated, it barely squeaks in at 1 inch (no generosity here) and 5 foot. I am very concerned about a pruning cut made at the top of the tree, to a fairly thick branch, that appears to show that the branch was dead when pruned. Also, broken root sections were found in the bottom of the box, and the wrapping used over the roots was all over the box. Will plant the trees and update at a later time. Hopefully all will be fine.
Positive ChuckCrisler
Windham, NH
April 1, 2016
After reading many of the comments here, I felt compelled to add mine. I have ordered from Stark about 5 times over 20-25 years. I think that my experiences and perspective are a more accurate reflection of the company.

I would rate them a 4.5 out of 5. Yes, I do have some tiny nits. Overall I think that they are excellent for the home gardener. This past year I decided to add apple trees to my orchard and decided to look elsewhere. After spending a good bit of time looking, I ordered (again) from Stark. Why? Because they have the selection/varieties and sizes that I want. I like to support as many different nurseries as possible, but Stark meets my needs.

I am a very serious home gardener. I have a large vegetable garden, a large (for a homeowner) orchard, a large (for a homeowner) vineyard (yes, I make wine) and am a beekeeper. I also have a greenhouse and grow orchids.

I ordered my apple trees back in the fall to insure selection and delivery scheduling. Recently, I changed my mind about my selection and called Stark. I quickly got through to a real person who was pleasant and helpful. I was able to change one variety and add another. I am confident that I will be receiving my proper order soon. I have never gotten the wrong trees, all of my trees have been the proper size (dwarf) and there have only been minor problems. Once I thought that they had root-pruned a tree too much and called to complain. They offered to replace the tree if it didn't grow. It grew well and is still growing well.

Nit #1 They claim that the fall is a good time to plant. Maybe in parts of the country, but not New England. The only trees that died or didn't grow well were planted in the fall. A Reliance peach barely survived and grew. It has been set back about 2 years over a spring planted tree. It lost all of it's limbs on one side. It is growing now and I just learned a trick to encourage new branches on the bare side, but I will never plant bare root trees in the fall again.

Nit #2 They claim that Fig trees can grow in New England. No they can not. I have tried with 3 trees twice, including a Chicago Hardy. I also planted that in the fall (with a Brown Turkey, second attempt) and neither grew in the spring. I should have known better myself.

Nit #3 Their shipping dates are too early, at least for New England. However, they are very happy to change if you ask for a later date, as I do.

Nit #4 I don't really know if this counts. At a pruning seminar last weekend, the extension agent said not to buy if the seller can't tell you the root stock. I don't think that Stark can supply that information. However, I also don't think that it is relevant to home growers. I am very serious yet don't know anything about rootstock selections (except that it is important). This may be important for commercial growers, but I don't think that it is for home owners. As I said earlier, all of my trees have been as advertised.

Nit #5 They sometimes hide the real name of the tree variety. For example, I have a Starking Delicious pear tree. I can't find out what it really is and would really like to know.

In conclusion, I have ordered many trees (~25) from Stark over many years. I have been happy with the trees I got. All have been healthy and grown well (except the figs and the fall peach). They have a great selection and the trees I have received as always been in great shape and exactly what I ordered. I really like that they are now offering larger trees that may cut a year off of when they start bearing. (Others are doing the same thing.) I continue to do business with them and do recommend them to others.

Chuck Crisler
New Hampshire
Neutral Tropicman
Bushland, TX (Zone 6a)
March 31, 2016
Posted on March 23, 2016, updated March 31, 2016
I received my plants,only one plant had lost its soil and the roots were very dry,leaves were all shriveled up and dry,I repotted hoping to save the plant,after couple days in the greenhouse,plant doesn\'t look like it is responding,so I took pictures and sent to them in a e-mail,after 3 days no response from them,yet when your buying from them,they answer back almost immediately . Will not be doing business with them again,not because of the quality of there plants,but because of customer service,buyer beware.
On March 31st, 2016, Tropicman changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Just received new plant in the mail,will change my rating to neutral,only because of quick in getting new plant,which by the way is quite smaller than original plant that was sent,I realize they can't make everyone happy all the time no matter how hard they try.I will continue to do business with them,as they are far better than most of the online nurseries.
Company representative comment on March 24, 2016:
On Mar 24, 2016 2:50 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology. Our goal at Stark Bro's Nurseries & Orchards Co. is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants and provide an exemplary level of customer service​. Based on the events you described in your feedback on Dave’s Garden, we did not meet this goal.​ This time of year is our busiest time of year and we are very sorry that we did not respond to your email in a timelier manner. We take all reviews on Dave’s Garden to heart, as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward.

Customer Support has found your email ticket and will be responding to you soon. They may have already taken care of it.

Negative ar99
San Diego, CA
March 28, 2016
ordered some plants from them on 3/21 (ORDER #1393440). the listing clearly stated: estimated delivery 3/26. it's now 3/28 and according to them the plants still have not been shipped and there is no set shipping date. i guess they just don't care that their customers may have lives, plans, or might be traveling...
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 6:57 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that has been caused to you due to the late delivery of your product. When you place your order, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date for your location. Unfortunately in your case our shipping department was behind. This is why your order did not get shipped in time to reach you by the original estimated date.

We are extremely apologetic for what you have experienced, and we are making an effort to ensure that such delay in shipping products will not occur in the future.

Neutral llittlejr2
Elizabeth, WV
March 27, 2016
I ordered a red haven dwarf peach and a standard methley plum tree on March 17th. I received them 2 weeks later. Both were bigger than expected with 3-4 branches. Peach tree even had flower buds. My only worry is packing paper fell off root system of the plum and roots were a little dry both so far happy I will update my rating when they both come out of dormacy and I know they are alive
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 7:12 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology for the packing paper not sticking to the roots. This sometimes happens during transit and thats why its very important to hydrate the roots before you plant. We recommend that you submerge the roots in cool tap water for 4-6 hours (24 hours max).

We trust that our nursery products will meet or exceed your expectations.

Negative dgludwigl
Tyngsboro, MA
March 26, 2016
Horrible customer service. I ordered from Stark Bros on March 13 and in theory all items were in stock and I was given a March 17-18 delivery date. I lined up people to help plant on March 19. On the 18th I had not received any notification informing me my order was delayed nor did I receive my plants. Went online to check my order and now the expected delivery was March 24th. The next time it looked online the expected delivery was March 27th. I called customer service, they did not provide any information as to why the order kept being delayed. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was informed that they were not available and there was no offer for the supervisor to call me back. I asked whether I should just cancel my order and they said they didn't know so I cancelled the order.
Their plants maybe just fine if you can actually get them but if you are looking to get plants in the ground in the spring don't count on them.
Company representative comment on March 31, 2016:
On Mar 31, 2016 8:19 AM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to your order not shipping. When you place your order, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated ship date and availability status of the product. We are sincerely sorry that there was a tree not ready to ship as expected and we are very heavy hearted that you have decided to cancel your remaining order because of this.

We take all reviews to heart as this is our opportunity to improve our service and your experience going forward. We are making an effort to ensure that our customers are made aware of the delays in the future.

Negative pidjones
Clinton, TN
March 17, 2016
Ordered a dwarf northern star cherry for the wife on 3-10-2016. Chose the "premium" plant as the arrival date estimate was two days earlier, and for a little more I figured we would get a better plant. Estimated arrival was 3-16-2016. Now it is 3-17-2016, and I've not received a shipping announcement email yet. Called "customer service" and find out they were back-ordered on the trees (were back-ordered when I ordered them on the 10th I find out). Back-ordered? this indicates to me that this is NOT a nursery, but instead a distributor that buys wholesale from real nurseries and resells to the public! Anyway, the representative said that the trees have arrived and are being "graded" now - estimated arrival now 3-23-2016! Just not happy with this at all. I paid for the "premium" plant for earlier arrival, as well as a better plant. Something tells me this will be no better than any other they ship. Sure wish we had picked one up at Tractor Supply before they ran out! No more Stark Bros. purchases for us.
Company representative comment on March 17, 2016:
On Mar 17, 2016 3:29 PM, Stark Brothers Nurseries & Orchards Company responded with:

Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you have experienced in respect to your order not shipping. When you place an order with us, we strive to give you the most accurate estimated arrival time and availability status of the product.

A living tree or plant that is shipped from Stark Bro's must meet certain criteria before it is shipped. Not only do we want to make sure that your tree or plant ships during the ideal planting season but the quality of the tree or plant trumps all other requirements. Our promise of satisfaction at Stark Bro's is to provide healthy, viable trees and plants to ALL of our customers. This is considered our “grading” process.

800.325.4180

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]