The scoop on 'Country Home Products (also dba DR Chipper and DR Field and Brush Mower)'

Country Home Products (also dba DR Chipper and DR Field and Brush Mower)

Vergennes, Vermont 05491 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-687-6575

September 30, 2011
Posted on September 12, 2011, updated September 30, 2011
Posted on August 31, 2011, updated September 12, 2011
Posted on August 19, 2011, updated August 31, 2011
Bought D R Power Premier woodchipper with 3 year warranty. Followed manual to add oil and gas and started up. Briggs & Stratton engine ran literally two minutes then slowed and stopped when chipping half inch branch. Called tech support. Immediately was accused of not adding oil. Apparently 3 year warranty is just a scam. Easier to blame customer for defective machine. Friend has aleady cancelled plans to buy brush hog machine from D. R. Power. Company unwilling to stand behind its products and honor warranty is useless; worse unscrupulous. Tech support should immediately have arranged replacement, not accused me of doing something wrong. Very disappointed and angry that U.S. company, allegedly high quality, is acting this way.
On August 31st, 2011, RussellOH added the following:

D R Power finally got back to me to promise a replacement wood chipper through a nearby dealer. However, chipper was not sent ASAP as promised and has yet to arrive. Called D R Power and was told standard delivery takes two weeks, even though original woodchipper came in two days. Don't think you can trust D R Power.
On September 12th, 2011, RussellOH added the following:

A delivery service miraculously called two days after D R Power said a replacement woodchipper would take two weeks to build. The delivery service had my phone number but the address for First Quality Sales in Middlefield, Ohio, the local dealer. The chipper was then delivered to First Quality Sales and a few days later a man from First Quality Sales brought the chipper out after preparing the machine. He confirmed that enough oil was in the original chipper that the engine should not have seized up. I have used the replacement chipper a couple of times with no problem. I will purchase machinery from First Quality Sales in the future but never again buy directly from D R Power.
On September 30th, 2011, RussellOH added the following:

Replacement chipper lasted 5 sessions before knife dulled and chipping worsened. After trying to sell me a replacement knife, DR Power shipped a replacement for free. However, I am paying First Quality Sales for picking up chipper for service and returning. True cost of owning DR Power chipper will include a few hundred dollars annual maintenance, making it a much more expensive proposition. Durability of knife when chipping old, dried wood is the main problem.
Positive tomtorrance
Scottsville, VA
September 21, 2009
I've had a 12HP DR Chipper for five or six years, so it's been out of warranty for a long time. I use it a couple of times a year when I've collected a large pile of fallen limbs, and I'd estimate that I've put approximately 75 hours on the chipper.

Recently, the pulley attached to the flywheel cracked. I called and spoke to a customer service technician, who offered to ship to me at no charge a replacement pulley, set screws and key. All those parts arrived within a few days, were easy to install, and allowed me to tackle that huge pile of limbs that I had collected to chip up.

I've been impressed both with the durability of the DR Chipper and with their customer service.
Neutral colcord
Bethel, ME
July 14, 2009
I've owned a DR field and brush mower for 9 years. I also purchased the 46" All-Terrain mower deck. I've used the All Terrain deck more than the single blade brush deck. I've had a few minor problems over the years but found their support good in the past. I had the same experience this month as noted in one of the other comments regarding the new cable set for the clutch and operator presence controls. I just wanted one cable but they only will sell the whole $50 setup. I spoke to tech support (after 2 "live chat" sessions, waiting a week for a response, emailing and finally calling and being on hold 10 minutes) and the tech was helpful, gave me a break on the price of the full package of controls and threw in another small part I needed. I hope the contact problems and wait time are anomalies; otherwise the service has been good.

The decks and drive unit are quite well- made, but a little under-engineered. Some features look like something your neighbor, who has a bunch of steel tubing and is handy with a welder and mechanical things, might have built onto his home-made mower. A bolt threaded into a welded-on nut to hold the end of a spring, exposed parts of the operator presence safety system (which is why they replaced the system), awkward change over from one deck to the other, and some of the other somewhat primitive features have been refined a bit in later models.

All the belts wear quickly (some are probably undersized), but especially the drive belt from the motor to the mower. I've replaced it almost every year. The all-terrain deck I have has been improved. Mine is made is of a plastic/nylon material that hasn't held up very well (the newer one is steel). When pushed up against trees, other obstacles, it takes bites of itself. It would be fine on a smooth lawn, but perhaps I've taken "all-terrain" too literally. The differential locks often when the lever touches the ground when lifting the deck up on rough terrain and needs to be re-engaged.

The engine (12.5 hp Tecumseh) has been excellent and had no problems at all.

The maneuverability of the mower is excellent. It is not for the small and meek though. I'm over 6 feet and I can handle it easily; not so my teenage daughters. I briefly owned a sears lawn tractor and found it harder to maneuver, and much harder to use in tight places around trees, the house, etc. And I like the exercise I get walking. The flaws so far have been relatively minor annoyances and I'd consider buying one again.
On July 25th, 2009, colcord added the following:

2 weeks later. One of the spindle assemblies in the mower deck crapped out, shredding the serpentine belt as it went. Not a part you would expect to go. Called tech support to find out how to take it apart. Tech couldn't really tell me, then said, "well, it actually doesn't matter, we only sell the whole unit." For about $100, including shipping. So, I'm on my own to take it apart and see if I can get bearings, which I assume are standard sized, if the spindle and housing are intact.

I'll leave my rating at neutral, but it's trending down.
Positive mfenley
Monroe, GA
May 27, 2009
I've had a DR brush cutter for about 6 or 7 years. Works great, except it tends to throw off strings a lot. Also got the beaver blade attachment which does a marvelous job of trimming 2" tree stumps right down to ground level.
Neutral ramaeder
Bryant, AR
May 11, 2009
I purchased a DR all-terrain mower eight years ago. It handles my needs OK. Recently I needed to replace the clutch cable. I called to order one and was told there had been an upgrade to my unit and I needed to purchase a retro kit because the old clutch cables were not available any more. The kit is five times the cost of a cable. I have a problem being forced to upgrade my unit when it was performing satisfactorily before the cable broke.
Positive cholla7
Lindsay, CA
March 16, 2009
I have had a dr self-propelled, string trimmer for over four
years. I wish I had bought the non-self-propelled version
with taller wheels as the self-propulsion is weak and not
really useful at all. Tall wheels would roll over uneven
ground easier and the whole unit would be less complex.
But this little monster sures cuts the weeds! Won't handle
mustard or big cheeseweed or marestail type weeds even
with the thickest line but everything else sure gets buzzed
down. I've gone through weeds as tall as I am. The thick
blue line DR sells is the best to use under all conditions.
Sometimes it's hard to pry the remnants of the broken line
off the mow ball but you really don't change the line that often.
I've had no problem with electric or pull starting and the
engine is supurb. I will say that this unit is more suited to
flat and even terrain than the slight slope I'm on. It's
interesting to read others comments about this company.
I agree with a lot of what's written except about the quality of
the machines. Just make sure you MATCH the machine to
your type of job and take care of it--basic maintenence and
inspection--and you'll be OK. I'm going to fire mine up in
a day or two and go through about three foot high nettles,
fiddleneck and wild oats like I've done in previous years.
Positive Spriggin
Selma, OR
March 7, 2008
For years I've struggled with wimpy chippers that were killers to start then I bought a USED dr chipper. It is my favorite toy. It is fast and efficient and a dream to start. I find myself hunting around the property for more branches. The mulch that is created has loosened the packed garden soil and dried up a soggy chicken yard. The state even gave me a tax credit as I no longer have to burn all my brush and limbs. Yippeeee!
Positive markn325e
Taylors, SC
August 15, 2007
I purchased my All-Terrain Field and Brush Mower about 6 years ago and love it. The only problems I've had are regular wear items, one broken belt and a battery that no longer holds a charge. As far as the performance, I liked the video they sent, but the video is nothing compared to real life. With the standard blade on still, the mower easily cut through 1 inch saplings and thick brush without so much as a hick-up. And I have the 10.5 hp I/C motor, not the big motor. This is probably the only product that I have ever purchased that I was completely satisfied with. I honestly feel that as long as I keep up with the regular maintenance items I will enjoy my mower for many more years.
Positive vossner
Richmond, TX (Zone 9a)
December 7, 2005
We purchased an 8.0 hp chipper 4 years ago and it has worked wonderfully, no problems. Price was competitive and customer service satisfactory.
Positive dogcatsgoats
Jasper, TX
December 6, 2005
We purchased a dr chipper and love that machine. In the beginning we had some slight problems--the company worked us until it was decided that they would replace the machine free of charge--it was delivered directly to our door. The replacement works great--just as advertised. We could not be more satisfied with their customer service or their product.

Roman Lamberty
Negative DRHATER
October 10, 2004
I recently purchased the 5.5 HPmodel lawn vac, first I waited 4 weeks to get it after being told it would be 10 days, then after putting it together (which almost broke my back) I took it out into my back yard. Note the video they sent me showed no dust coming out compared to one of their competitors.
when used it dust poured out all over the place thru the top, and thru every panel seam. The "stand" they give you is a piece of junk!!. I am no at all happy with this and do not recommend it to anyone, I will be returning this to them and looking elsewhere

On December 11th, 2004, DRHATER added the following:

I just got a notice that the elbow for my lawn vac is defective and that I have to wait a month to wait for a new one, thank god that I did return the rake before and purchased a cyclone rake instead. it works alot better than the dr product and they stand by their product better, I was missing a part and it was shipped out to me that day and I had it in 2 days