The scoop on 'Ronniger Potato Farm LLC'

Ronniger Potato Farm LLC

20094 N State Highway 149
Powderhorn, Colorado 81243 (United States)

Phone: 1-887-204-8704
Fax: 1-887-204-8704
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company is affiliated with Milk Ranch Specialty Potatoes, LLC

Company Comment, posted on January 7, 2004:
Ronnigers potato farm is alive and well. We took the company back and have revived our old family business, starting off the tailgate of our old '68 Ford pickup. We kept most of our heirloom seed potato; those heirlooms are being multiplied and some will be offered each year through our new catalogue. We continued to grow organic potatoes for fresh market and now we are happy to have our seed business back and take up where we left off. Please write or email us for our free catalogue and grower's guide - it's a real Idaho Gem. Please feel free to contact us.

Comments:

Positive blueeyeskms
Waverly, KS (Zone 5b)
January 7, 2014
2013 was the first year I have ordered from Potato Garden. All I can say is WOW! I have never in my life had such a wonderful potato crop! We planted 17 lbs of potatoes and harvested 268 lbs! Definitely ordering from them again!
Neutral Pitcom
Avondale, PA (Zone 6b)
December 29, 2013
This was my first year ordering from The Potato Garden. They had a extensive inventory to choose from. Mountain Rose and Sieglinde were two of the varieties I choose. I was very disappointed with the quality of the seed potatos. The Sieglinde arrived with mushy spots all around the tubers. If you applied a small amount of pressure the tuber would pop and squirt its insides out. I called customer service and they were very helpful and apologetic. They sent out a replacement set, however they were once again riddled with mushy spots. I decided to cut away and mushy spots and plant anyway. This was a big mistake. I did not harvest a single Sieglinde potato as every single plant had nothing but rotted tubers underneath of it. The mountain rose on the other hand grew well, although not great and my yield was about 5:1 at 15" spacing and 20" between rows. I plan to try this vendor again this year since they have a history of positive reviews. Hopefully with better results.
Positive hopflower
Santa Rosa, CA (Zone 9a)
July 20, 2013
Ronniger's has actually merged with another potato vendor and is now known as Potato Garden. Located in Colorado, they offer early, main crop, late crop and fingerling potatoes as well as garlic; and plenty of advice on how to choose, plant, and care for your potatoes to ensure a successful crop. There are many suggestions on how to plant for the size of your garden, whether in the ground or in containers. I have ordered from these people for four years now, and the seed potatoes have always arrived as promised in pristine condition and on time. They are friendly, helpful, and a quality vendor. Not once have I ever received a substandard, or a questionable order. I highly recommend this firm and am eagerly planning my potato garden for 2014!
Positive Leslie500
Woodland Park, CO
March 30, 2013
I love these guys, and order from them every year. They always deliver on time, the selection is awesome, perfect potatoes every time. :)
Positive LilyLover_UT
Ogden, UT (Zone 5b)
July 9, 2011
This is a great company. I've been buying the seed potatoes and garlic for several years now, and I'm just thrilled with the results. We had the most beautiful potato harvest last year. German Butterball is our favorite, but we always try one or two other varieties just for fun. This year we are trying Alby's Gold. We also bought three new varieties of garlic to add to our collection of heirloom garlics. Thank you for everything!
Positive Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX (Zone 10a)
January 5, 2011
Super fantastic company. I needed potatoes at an odd time of year due to our planting season. They kept me informed about when they would be shipped, were very helpful when I had questions and the potatoes arrived in perfect condition right on time. I bought 250# and will be buying again.
I followed their directions, the potatoes sprouted beautifully and are now happily growing on our farm.
I had called other companies trying to find seed potatoes for our planting dates and had no luck. I'm really glad I found this company thru DG.
Positive crice118
Frankfort, KY
March 13, 2010
Ordered a variety of seed potatoes. Called and asked questions to make sure I was ordering what I wanted. They were very friendly, polite and cordial - there was no pushing to buy just a we're here to help you with any order you would like to place and ask about anything you're unsure of. I WILL be buying from them again next year if not before. Received my 18 varieties in good condition, well boxed and in a timely fashion. Kudos to you, potato farmers.
Positive nygardener3
Altamont, NY
February 17, 2010
I have been a Ronniger customer for over 10 years. I am glad to hear that the family has taken the company back but my experience with the interim owner was totally seamless. Ronnigers has by by far the most complete selection and the growing information is both helpful and practical. Over the years I have grown 6 different varieties and had excellent results with all of them. There has never been a disappointment with quality and service has always been exemplary.
Positive Splintergroupie
Stevensville, MT
September 25, 2009
I ordered eight varieties, one pound each. Results ranged from a 10# return on the Russet Norkotah to a whopping 52# on the Rose Finn Apple fingerling. Average return was 29# on each pound of seed potato planted.

My site was new ground, not very improved yet with too much clay. My pump died and i was without water for a week as the sprouts were pushing through the surface. Then i had a grasshopper plague to boot that left some varieties eaten clean to the ground. Needless to say, i'm quite impressed with the yield after all that and will order again. My order came promptly, was packed and labeled well, and i appreciated the potato growing literature that came with.

The only problem i had was scab on the Maris Piper variety. It was also the only variety that exhibited any slug attraction, so i'm blaming the variety and not the seed store.
Positive magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
September 23, 2009
I've become a customer for life thanks to their awesome service. There was a misunderstanding with my order, which was promptly, cheerfully, and very satisfactorily resolved by no less than the proprietor himself. Great products, too.
Positive dddal
Eaton, IN
July 7, 2009
Great service. Great selection. Had a problem with one of my varieties (probably my fault or the fault of my weather) but they called back and talked me thru a few things. Wonderful people to do business with.
Positive nygardener2
New Hyde Park, NY
May 16, 2009
Potatoes came in great shape on time and nice sizes. Each bag was labled and great instructions. Highly recommend for potatoes. The staff is polite and my ship date was dead on and quicker than thought.

Positive Driftingcowboy
Helenwood, TN
April 9, 2009
Ordered 150 pounds of seed. Look good.
Neutral WisJim
Menomonie, WI
February 19, 2009
I have tried for 2 years to get a copy of their catalog, by requesting through their website, and via email, with no luck. Tried again this year, but it is getting late in the season for our ordering.
Positive bibbykitty
San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b)
January 12, 2009
Just received my order. I am very pleased. The service was wonderful, the potatoes look great, and best of all I received them When I wanted them!!! Will definitely order from them again. Also Elizabeth was very helpful and polite when I called about a problem that was my fault.
Positive lzyjo
Thompsons Station, TN
June 5, 2008
I've ordered from both Ronnigers and their other website Milk Ranch and I had a good experience both times. They shipped promptly and have a tremendous selection when most places are out of stock. I was really happy with my last order, since they did not have a variety I order, they substituted another red type that grows well in for my area. I'll always order from Ronnigers!
Positive drgreene
Shelby, NC
March 13, 2008
We placed an order for one of the garden packs in February. Got the order in early March. The potatoes look good. We'll probably plant in the next week or so. This is our second order with Ronniger's, and the last time the potatoes produced very well.
Positive Spriggin
Selma, OR
October 28, 2007
I ordered my seed potatoes so late in the season most companies were sold out, but not these folks. I recieved my order very quickly and planted them the next day. Well before the first frost I was hip deep in fabulous potatoes. I'm spreading the word about your remarkable company. Thanks a bunch!
Positive KristenMarie
Llano, NM
August 12, 2007
I picked up potatoes from these guys in Colorado in April, having placed an order last winter... These are the same people who run Milk Ranch potatoes (Craig, his dad and his very friendly wife Michelle). They bought out Ronnigers. I got to see their high-tech potato storage building which was really impressive, and some of their potato fields. These guys are great, friendly, and helpful. We planted 130 pounds of 11 types of potatoes from them and they are all growing well EXCEPT for the Purple Peruvian (which I think does not like our soil). The potatoes are healthy, disease-free and mostly organic. HIGHLY recommended. I hope they keep the Ronnigers name.
Positive three_elms
Tippecanoe, IN
June 13, 2007
Ordred 11 lbs on April 9th. The web site doesn't have a place to enter a credit card number, rather they call you for credit card information. As such other negative feedback doesn't make sense.

Instead of waiting for the call I sent them a cheque via the post office. The seed potatoes were mailed out promptly and arrived within a week or two. They well stored and in very good condition. As of this time I've had excellent growth and very good looking plants. I look forward to buying more next year.
Negative bigmama53
Burns, OR
April 20, 2007
Ordered four seed potatoe varieties in April 2007, immediately that night my debit card info hit the internet, fortunately only two of 16 charges made it through prior to my bank blocking my card. I have emailed Ronnigers regarding the possible security breach on their site and they are not responding to my email. My bank guarantees they are the site that has allowed my personal banking info to be spread throughout cyberspace. I have also not received any word from them regarding shipping my potatoes even though I requested it be asap, it has been two weeks now and no word. Beware of ordering online from them. Big Mama
Positive Coni
Milford, MI
July 19, 2006
I had been concerned about growing potatoes, but this company has been a great resource. We are now picking small and medium potatoes and there are more than I expected. Plants are healthy and very productive. Thank you and we will use your company again next year.
Neutral seventrees
Everson, WA
July 19, 2006
The shipping was fast, the selection was good, but the potatoes themselves weren't anything to write home about. Not very many eyes at all, and they aren't producing much, even though we have experience growing potatoes and the soil is wonderful.

We'll look for some locally or try another grower for next season.
Positive kristenwith8
Sandy, UT
January 9, 2006
This company quickly shipped healthy looking seed potatoes. With no potato growing experience, I planted them spring 2005. In the summer I had a question about 'hilling up', and got an email response within a few days. Even though I did not follow their suggestions to the letter (I will this year), I still got a pretty good harvest- and the taste was divine! By ordering the Garden Pack #3, we were able to try several varieties. The kids loved making 'all blue' french fries. We will order again! Thanks.
Positive rippedoffconsum
Santa Cruz, CA
October 20, 2005
In September 2005 I ordered Garlic from the Ronniger's website. I received confirmation emails and received a shipment email. I have not received the product even though they have taken my money. They have not returned my emails inquiring about the situation. Their website is down and has been down for a while now. DO NOT SUPPORT THIS COMPANY - THEY ARE RIP OFFS. Obviously nobody will be able to order product via the website because it is down, but their emails are bouncing also, so it looks like they packed up cashed in.
On February 17th, 2006, rippedoffconsum changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

After posting this message I was contacted by Craig at Ronniger's. He explained that there had been a short term problem that had been corrected. A short time later I received my order along with a credit for the hassle I was put through. After corresponding with Craig I am satisified with his explanation that this was a one time error. A good indicator of a company is how they deal with problems - I am happy with the response I received from Craig. In fact, I would order from Ronniger's again, therefore I have changed my rating here from negative to positve.

Thank you Craig and thank you Dave's Garden!
On February 17th, 2006, rippedoffconsum changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Positive seedsaver56
Casper, WY
April 10, 2005
My first experience with Ronnigers was 2004. I ordered 4 different varieties of seed potato. I grew viking red, viking purple, reddale and german butterball. This was my first real attempt at growing potatoes in many years. The ronningers catalog has great growing tips and general information on raising potatoes. The seed potatoes were excellent quality and arrived when they were supposed to. I could tell soon after the plants started growing that they were very strong healthy plants. I got a real nice harvest from six rows of potatoes about 8 feet long per row.
They even survived an earwig infestation after I made the mistake of trying to mulch them with straw, I had to take the straw off but the potatoes still did good. It was very rewarding when I harvested them, the reddale was superb for baking and the viking purple made the best mashed potatoes I have ever had.
I reccomend Ronnigers very highly to anyone who loves to grow potatoes, their seed potatoes are certified organic. They needed some more information on my 2005 order and contacted me by phone to fix it. Very pleasent and professional to deal with. I will be a long term customer of Ronnigers, they are a family farm and business and deserve full support.
Positive fbonzo
Issaquah, WA (Zone 8b)
January 29, 2005
We've only used Ronniger's once--summer crop of 2004--but it was a wonderful experience. Their catalog is delightful; the descriptions of the potatoes, their various histories and good and bad points were very helpful in making our selections. We chose the 7 sampler pack, followed Ronniger's excellent and simple growing instructions (we'd never grown potatoes) and we were extremely pleased with 6 of the 7 varieties. All 7 varieties bore very, very well, but we were not happy with the flavor and texture of the Krantz. I don't think there was anything wrong with them, just not to our taste. Anyway, their shipping was timely, their information was copious and helpful, the potatoes had absolutely no problems. Will definitely order from them again this year with the highest of expectations.
Positive gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA (Zone 6a)
January 12, 2005
I ordered from this company for the first time last spring and was delighted with the quality of the potatoes and the number of eyes each one produced. Despite the rainiest summer on record I had a very good crop. Love their catalogue and highly recommend them. I am getting my new order ready and can't wait.
Positive Cedarworm
July 20, 2004
`This was my first time to order from Ronniger's Potato Farm. I ordered a "sampler" of 7 varieties. We are just starting to harvest the first Viking Purple, Red Gold and Anna Cheeka. The seed potatoes were shipped right on the date I requested and packed well. Though they cost more than our local farm coop every day variety potatoes, Ronniger's provide so many varieties and the catalog explains the qualities and history of each. So far they are very productive and the taste is amazing. Will be sure to order more from them in the future and tell all my gardening friends.
I also think that it is good to support ethical and hard working family farms.
Positive buzzworm45
August 11, 2003
I got prompt, healthy delivery of our seed potatoes,which did very well in spite of a hard climate and general lack of water. I will use them again for all our seed potato and garlic orders.
Positive aichko
May 12, 2003
I am so pleased that Ronninger's is back in business. I haven't ordered from them in a while now, since they had stopped selling seed potatoes. At the time, they had nice little homey catalogs, as it was a small family-run business. Their seed potatoes were excellent and included clear, simple directions for growing the potatoes. They were some of the best potatoes I've ever had! I highly recommend them - especially for anyone in the Western USA. Now that I know they are back again, I will be sure to allow room for potatoes in my garden next year!