The scoop on 'Halifax Seed'

Halifax Seed

P.O. Box 8026, Stn. "A"
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 5L8 (Canada)

This company offers a variety of gardening supplies and plants and seeds.

Comments:

Neutral hmacdona
Calgary, AB (Zone 3a)
November 22, 2008
I have attempted to do business with this company, but had a couple of questions for them before I placed an order online. So far, I have yet to receive a response from my enquiries. I only wanted to know what the average seed count was in the seeds I wanted to buy. Hope I didn't offend anyone, but they are definitely ignoring me :)
Positive axelqueen
Winnipeg
June 1, 2008
Ordered 2 varieties of seed, cat grass and Magic Fountain Delphinium, (which I really wanted...the cat grass was a treat for my cat to keep him frm eating my houseplants). The Delphinium seedlings (which grew at an alarming rate), have been in the garden for a little under a month now, and are thriving. They look so much better than some I've seen in a certain local garden centre, whose name I will not mention *cough* *cough* *Canadian Tire* *cough* *cough*.
Was happy with the prompt service and fast shipping. Will no doubt deal with them again.
Positive DCarrington
Riverview, NB (Zone 5b)
March 6, 2006
What can I say other than, “Superb”? The people at Halifax Seed are outstanding in their knowledge. They have bent over backwards to help me on several occasions.

I live near the fine people of Halifax Seed and I recently explained to them, “I just couldn’t understand all the whys and wherefores of fertilizer use.” They are, in fact, sending someone to my place of business to help me better understand all my needs. Who could possibly ask for more? Thank you Halifax Seed!
Positive seed_steve
halifax
February 10, 2006
I have dealt with the Halifax Seed Company many times over the years. Most the staff have a horticulture background or hort education and all have lots of gardening experience. They are the people in the Halifax Regional Municipality to contact with a gardening or lawn problem, and have helped me ID and cure several gardening dilemas

As HRM is pesticide free for the last couple of years HFX Seed has many organic solutions and the knowledge to help me make them work. Because they serve the landscaping industry you are able to find tools that will really stand up to the wear and tear in the garden, I bought a pair of Felco pruners, and when I lost my spring they had some in stock!!

When I reseeded my lawn a couple years ago, a staff member spent close to a half an hour on a busy weekend going over all the soil preperations I should make, laid out an entire fertilizer schedule and recommend one of Halifax Seeds custom grass seed mixes for my lawn (which turned out beautifully!).

I am very happy with the years of service I have gotten from this company and will continue to frequent the Halifax Seed, Halifax location and visit the Halifax Seed, New Brunswick branch on my way to the cottage.
Neutral binoche
Dartmouth
Canada (Zone 6a)
February 16, 2004
The Halifax store's personal is very accomodating as well as knowledgable. There is a vast amount of supplies packed into its store. I do however find their prices on plants and shrubs to be rather high and their live choices are limited.
When one is limited as to places to shop....it becomes very costly, even when you start many of your own seeds as do I.
Positive DONBROWN
Halifax
September 25, 2002
If you can shop in person or order seed there, they are excellent, with a vast selection of fresh seed at competitive prices. For garden supplies, though, I do recommend going elsewhere, because they are very expensive at Halifax Seed. The staff is friendly and helpful, and this is a very old family company. Not a bad website either!