The scoop on 'Gardener's Supply Company'

Gardener's Supply Company

128 Intervale Road
Burlington, Vermont 05401 (United States)

Phone: 1-888-833-1412
Fax: 1-800-551-6712

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

Visit Gardener's Supply Company at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company offers a variety of gardening supplies.

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive DonnaMack
Elgin, IL (Zone 5a)
March 16, 2014
Posted on December 20, 2012, updated March 16, 2014
Posted on February 1, 2000, updated December 20, 2012
I have been ordering from Gardener's Supply Company for three years now (at least 15 different orders), and have been extremely satisfied with my interactions with them. Whether ordering on the telephone, via catalog or e-mail, my orders have always been handled promptly and with great courtesy. I understand that all of their order takers are gardeners, and many of them provide you with great tips that do not necessary point you toward the most expensive products.I would like to particularly mention the APS (accelerated propagations systems) which I used last year for the first time with incredible success. My germination rates exceeded 95%. In fact, in some cases the rate was in excess of 100% because I would germinate three tiny seeds in one cell (verbena bonariensis, for example) hoping to get one and get all three. The plants were so strong that when I transplanted them (44 in all) the survival rate was 100%. My attempt to get 8 Jacob's Ladder resulted in a bounty of 15. I would also like to recommend the Tomato Teepees, which are those season extending water filled gizmos which allow you to put out frost tender plants early (March, instead of May here in the midwest) and protect late plants at the end of the season. Better yet, one of mine sprang a slow leak and my husband zapped another with a weed wacker. When I called to request replacement of the defective one, they apologized for the problem and then promptly sent me two, with a note that the second was to replace the weed whacked one.
On December 20th, 2012, DonnaMack added the following:

I just received my order for two marbled self-watering planters. On sale, they were so attractive I just ordered two more (yes, prompted by a 20% discount)..

The Accelerated Propagations systems continue to be improved. I have ordered them three times over ten years and they are always coming up with a way to make them better. I like the way they don't stand still. The new APS units wear much better than the originals ones, and the capillary matting has been improved each time.

I have been using my self-watering rolling planters for years. I called them about three years ago because the coasters on them broke when I was rolling over cobblestones. They promptly sent me a whole bag of stronger, replacement rollers, at no cost.

I am very happy with the products I have ordered. I do suggest reading customer reviews on the site. There are some "dog" products, and they very candidly print the bad reviews.

My only complaint is that the shipping charges seem very high.
On March 16th, 2014, DonnaMack added the following:

I ordered a number of highly satisfactory products this season: new self watering pots, a timer, and one product I had problems with, a lighting system. First I had a few issues with installation, and then there was a problem with lighting, but each time, Gardener's Supply cheerfully provided me with on line support, and replaced parts with new ones that had clearly been redesigned to address some problems I had. There seems to me nothing that they won't do to address a problem. And if you return a part for an exchange, the shipping is free (mailing label included) and they offer you free shipping on another item (which beautifully addresses the issue I wrote in a previous favorable review that my only complaint was that shipping charges were a bit high.

As a result, I actually feel comfortable ordering products that require installation, because I can get toll free step by step help, even if the issue is essentially that I read the directions wrong. Today is Sunday, and I got help on one ring, and my issue is solved.

I am a very satisfied customer.
Positive lyph
Ithaca, NY (Zone 5a)
January 7, 2014
I have purchased many things from this company over the years, and I have always been happy with the quality and the speed of shipping. But this review is about the fantastic customer service I have recieved in the past several days. I wanted to download an article on best crops for small gardens, and could not. I had several back and forth emails with Valerie, trying various ways to get the download. I assured her that the problem was probably my elderly computer, but she kept trying. Finally, she phoned to say that she was snail-mailing me a hard copy of the article! This kind of customer service just doesn't happen in too many places any more. And it is exactly what will keep me coming back to this company forever.
Positive JoefromOrleans
Orleans, MA
December 19, 2013
Gardener's Supply is excellent for many basic garden needs. I have found customer service and response to inquiries excellent. If you shop smart you can actually save a lot. One thing you need to know about is the Gardener's Supply coupon page. Just Google it, and Bookmark it. You will always save at least a few dollars on every order. The raised bed corners and T's and the garden girds are among their best products.
Positive Noradella
Tortolita, AZ
April 13, 2013
This has been my go-to for garden supplies for the past six years. I've purchased corners for a number of raised beds, several VegTrugs, self-watering tomato success kits, a garden kneeler for myself and two as gifts and handy Tubtrugs in several sizes. Haven't been disappointed with any of my purchases or the great customer service. Several friends have placed orders with Gardener's Supply and have been equally pleased with their purchases and service.
Negative doghill6
Central Point, OR (Zone 8a)
March 29, 2013
I used to think of them as a quality company. I couldn't order much because they are so expensive, but now I won't order at all. I have requested removal from their email list because they are selling my email to their "partners", a bunch of junk companies like Springhill and Flower Power Fundraising. It bothers me a lot that they are using my information to make money and that I get emails from companies with which I never intend to do business.
Negative lightheart
Raleigh, NC
March 29, 2013
I placed an order for a number of items and all were disappointing. Quality is on par with discount stores while the prices are as high as my local high-end garden center. The worst example was the 5-in-1 Weeder (Item # 40-474). When it arrived, I took it out of the box and got started on some weeds in an old flower bed. It wasn't as effective as I'd hoped, but I was initially satisfied. To my dismay, one of the tines caught on a small root and snapped right off. It did not bend. It simply snapped. The tool is not even made of real metal, but rather a cheap composite material. Total loss and will cost more to return than the product cost to begin with.
Positive rugbycrumpet
Sharon, MA (Zone 6a)
February 28, 2013
The Gardener's Supply Co. is my "go-to" store for all gardening supplies. Shipping is fast, selection is good and is run by people who are passionate about gardening & providing good customer service.
Positive PlumeriaPatch
Melbourne Beach, FL
December 22, 2012
We just placed and received a rather large order with this company with no problems at all. Quick delivery and all products were as advertised. Will use again for future supplies.
Negative rattman43
Lynbrook, NY
December 19, 2012
Disappointing merchandise, not as advertised. This complaint seems to show up a lot on this board.
The company does not pay return shipping on returns unless strict conditions are met. Unfortunately, "this is a piece of junk" does not qualify.
We won't be doing any more business with this company, and we advise others to avoid them too.
Negative Larrys_Gardens
Castle Rock, WA (Zone 8a)
October 29, 2012
Re: Order W02577506 dated 3-11-2012.

This order consisted of 2 17" rolling planters, 2 self watering Railing Planters, and 1 Hanging Art Basket for a total cost of $218.

All of these items looked very nice, arrived on time, but all were of poor quality. The platic sides on both types of planters were not of sufficient weight to keep the sides from bulging when full of soil.

The wheel broke off on one of the rolling planters, both railing planters fell off the deck railing during the summer months, and the artistic hanger was so poorly made that one of the metal attachments broke before I even used it.

Obviously, I am very disappointed, but have been so busy that did not have the time or energy to document this until now.
Positive aoneill
Parkton, MD
July 9, 2012
I have had only great relations with Gardener's Supply. I have dealt with this company for many years.The items I needed where in stock and delivered quickly. Sometimes the packaging was a bit crumpled in delivery, but that isn't the company's fault. On the rare occasion that I had a problem with something the customer service and support were more than helpful and pleasant. I am sorry for those who have had a lesser experience but, maybe some expect too much or are not patient.
Negative esteve59
Annapolis, MD
July 9, 2012
I purchased a package of metal plant markers that are advertised as 1" x 2-1/2"....
I called first to make sure this was the correct size and they assured me they were.
When they arrived I found that they are 7/8" x 2-1/2......NOT the size I need....!!!
Sent them an email but no reply.....
Positive JenDion
Litchfield, NH (Zone 5b)
July 9, 2012
Ordered an Urn Fountain in January. It arrived so fast I couldn't believe it! My husband installed it in mid-June. About 3 weeks later I cleaned it, and then plugged it back in. The pump started to pump then immediately died. We checked it out and determined that it was getting power but dead. I emailed them on a Saturday, and got an automated message that I would hear back within 4 business hours. On Sunday AM I got a message from a real live person offering me several options, including a credit or refund of $50.- if I wanted to keep the Fountain and locate a replacement pump (which I did). That's the BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE I've seen in a long time!
Negative killipso
South Burlington, VT
June 14, 2012
The customer service really is not good when dealing with delivery. When at the Store in Williston everyone was very helpful. Our delivery was scheduled for today 6/14/2012.

Was scheduled between 9 to 12. It is now 12:35. We called them and we were told they left 10 minutes ago. When we asked why no one called the person did apologize and said she hadn't done it. If it's 12:22 why wasn't anyone calling at 9am ?

We then asked what time they will be here. She said they would call the driver. We got a call back 5 minutes or less later and said the driver doesn't pick up the phone when in route.

So why tell us your calling the driver ? Also what's the point of having the phone if you have issues with delivery and customers are calling ?

So I called back and tried to talk to someone else who was in charge. She told me she was a manager but couldn't help and that the person I talked to was a manager also. Nothing they could do. Sounds like too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

I am very disappointed as taking a day off and not being here at the times we were told.

Not to mention sitting here not knowing when... and having to plant them today and they are 3 large trees.

I have about 10 more I need to buy and I will not be buying them from here.
Neutral JoeyinRoseburg
June 7, 2012
Posted on June 6, 2012, updated June 7, 2012
I ordered a costly raised planting bed many weeks ago, which appeared to be in stock at the time I placed my order. After waiting a reasonable period of time to receive my order without seeing it, I phoned their customer service department to get the status of my order. I was told at that time that a delay had occurred, although I was never notified either by email or phone of a delay. I was told that it would be sent on a particular day, but it was not and again I experienced another lengthy delay. I phoned a second time and was told that there would be an additional delay in receiving this order. I explained that I was unhappy that I had to make two calls to them to find out the status of this order because they never contacted me. To compensate me for my trouble, the woman I spoke to said she would apply a fifty-dollar credit to my next purchase. Last week, I received a phone call from someone there who told me the raised bed had just gone out via FedEx and it would arrive in two cartons. Today FedEx delivered only one carton, so I phoned Gardeners Supply and spoke to a man in customer service. I explained that only one carton arrived, although I had not yet opened it. He told me that I definitely should have received two cartons and asked that I open it and describe what was inside. I opened the carton and discovered that what should have arrived in two cartons was placed in one. There were the wood panels, along with loose screws and hardware scattered all over the inside, some of which had rubbed against one wood section and gouged it. The metal corner pieces were also placed inside the carton without any wrapping around them. It appeared that whoever packed this product simply threw everything in together without trying to protect the wood. It was a very poor packing job. The man I was speaking to offered me another $10 toward the existing credit, along with a promise to send out a new panel to replace the damaged one. Because I no longer trust this company to do anything right, I told him that I want this product picked up and a full refund given to me, which he agreed to do. In the past, overall, I had been very pleased with Gardeners Supply, but this will absolutely be my last order with them.
On June 7th, 2012, JoeyinRoseburg changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I decided to change my rating from negative to neutral because I failed to notice that a second carton had arrived, but it was not placed on my porch as the other one had been. I didn't discover it until after I posted this rating. However, the fact still remains that loose screws and hardware had caused some damage to one of the panels. Although Gardeners Supply was nice enough to give me a sixty-dollar credit toward my next purchase, I find their customer service at the least to be very poor.
Negative RobinSparen
Norwich, CT
June 6, 2012
Absolutely the worst customer service I've ever experienced! On April 6th 2012 I placed an order for a raised cedar bed for my husbands birthday. I received an email confirmation within 24hrs stating the item was in stock & would arrive in 10-12 business days. When it didn't arrive I emailed customer service and received no response. Then on April 19th I called to find out what happend and was told the item was back ordered 4wks & would arrive on May6th. On May 5th I received a call to let me know the item would be shipped within the next week. Three weeks later, May 25th, my credit card was charged. The item finally arrived on May26th. It doesn't end there: on June 5th they BILLED MY CREDIT CARD A SECOND TIME. When I called customer service to have it straightened out I was told my account had only be pre-authorized on May25th and therefore charged it again on June 5th. I have been told my account will be credited, we'll see. I was never compensated for my time and aggravsation & my husband had no present on his 60th birthday.
Positive wufflespring
Yoder, CO (Zone 5a)
April 27, 2012
I ordered 2 mason bee houses from Gardener's Supply. Price was great, shipping was low as well. Originally I was told (via email and tracking) that my order would arrive tomorrow (April 28). Yesterday, that changed to April 30th. So I was quite pleasantly surprised to have it arrive today! I don't blame Gardener's Supply for that confusion - that's all USPS (and NORMAL, lol).

The mason bee houses, when they arrived, were in boxes labelled Made in China. From experience, that was a bit worrying. But the houses were well made, sturdy, and an excellent value! That'll teach me to make up my mind ahead of time.

All in all, great purchase. Great items for a reasonable price. Great communication - wonderful! I'll feel very comfortable ordering from Gardener's Supply in the future!
Neutral Cearbhaill
Russell, KY (Zone 6b)
April 4, 2012
Have used them before and been quite happy.
Just spoke with a rep regarding an order as I had not received a confirmation email and they mentioned that the website was under reconstruction and the automatic confirmation emails were not going out.
Also found out that they are now shipping via "Smart Post" which is the amalgamation of FedEx and USPS which always puts you on the zero priority list. It takes a while to receive things. My order was shipped on 3/29 and they estimate it will arrive "sometime next week" which is two weeks in transit.
Make of that what you will.
Positive Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY
June 19, 2011
I've ordered for years from Gardener's Supply and have been very happy with each order.

I love all they offer and look forward to seeing their new selection each year.

Positive WorcesterAnglo
Worcester, MA (Zone 5a)
June 11, 2011
I was a little wary because the item I wanted was on back order, and I've had bad experiences with other companies when this happened - but it arrived at my house the very day they promised it would be back in stock, so I was delighted.
Positive gracesplants
Howell, MI
May 21, 2011
EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! EXCELLENT! When I spoke with customer service they were WONDERFUL, helpful and polite. VERY fast shipping (3 days) of a well packaged product. All these kudos are for the 12 cork bathmats that I am using as Christmas gifts (early I know). Thank you Gardener's Supply!
Positive naturemaiden
Cutchogue, NY
May 17, 2011
I've placed orders in the past and was always pleased. Great products!
Positive CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA (Zone 9a)
May 14, 2011
I have ordered many items from this company and im always happy. Never had a problem. I love the french watering can. The worms were in great condition I ordered. I just ordered some organic potatoes there all ready rooting after two days in the ground. AAAAAAAA+++ Company
Neutral Gardener5b
Kansas City, MO
April 25, 2011
I've ordered from this company once. A couple of weeks after ordering, I received notice that the product I had ordered was backordered. It took about 3 months for it to arrive.

I did want this product badly enough that I waited for it, and did not call to cancel. This was a specialized product I have not found elsewhere.

Shipping was on the high side, but I was willing to pay it for this hard to find item. However, a refund of the extra money that I paid for expedited shipping would have been nice given the situation.

Positive aileen246
Priest River, ID
March 28, 2011
Posted on August 25, 2010, updated March 28, 2011
I have only praise for this company. As a gardener on a small city lot, I have ordered a number of gardening supplies, walls-of-water, plant supports, seed starting supplies and more over many years. Not once have I had a bad experience, always getting what I ordered and in a timely fashion. Thank you, Gardener's Supply. Aileen 246
On March 28th, 2011, aileen246 added the following:

Recently ordered a deep-seat garden kneeler and it arrived today. Was a little concerned when I didn't get a notice that it had been shipped, so I called them. A very nice customer service representative told me it would arrive today. It is a very nice item and there was nothing to assemble. Can't beat that!!!
Positive AyUpPetal
West Mifflin, PA (Zone 6b)
March 26, 2011
I have had nothing but a great experience with Gardener's Supply. A few weeks ago I decided to order a light garden cart to get my spring veggie seeds started. It's a higher priced item and I was very happy to see they were offering interest free monthly payments, which made it affordable for me on my fixed income. I also wanted to try some of the Cow Pots seed starting pots. I placed my order online with no problems using a free shipping coupon I'd found. They sent confirmation of my order, and tracking emails when the orders shipped. They had to be sent separately and the Cow Pots arrived first. I set them aside and waited for the light cart to arrive. It came very quickly and today I got the Cow Pots out to get started. The package said it was supposed to contain 12, but when I got them all out there were only 11. I called to let them know that they might want to check their stock before fulfilling any more orders just in case some of the others were short. Janet was wonderful and offered to send me a new order, no charge! Now that is true customer service!
They carry a wonderful array of products, many hard to find, and their prices I feel are great. They carry many unusual and hard to find items for the gardener as well.
Because of that, and their super customer service, I'll be a customer for life!
Positive kentstar
Ravenna, OH (Zone 5b)
October 7, 2010
Posted on April 20, 2010, updated October 7, 2010
Posted on December 20, 2009, updated April 20, 2010
My first experience ordering here. I ordered the wire bin composter, and it came fast and works great. Thankyou GSC! I am just a beginner at composting (I mean REALLY beginner) and I wanted to try my hand at leaf composting first before venturing into more. I bought the single bin, but now I'm thinking I should have gotten a couple more! I may have to go back in springtime and buy another bin or two.
The price was really reasonable for the bin too.
On April 20th, 2010, kentstar added the following:

I ordered another wire compost bin to go with my single one. I love those! They are easy as pie to put together, very low priced, and will work for my small yard composting.
The company sent it out very quickly and I am impressed! Thankyou again!
Just a comment: I ordered the wire bin lid last time and now the website says they are no longer being sold. I do wish you would get those again! They are great for using with the wire bin and keep unwanted critters out.
On October 7th, 2010, kentstar added the following:

Got my 3rd wire bin composter today. Quick shipping and absolutely no problems. Thankyou again Gardener's Supply!
Positive astevens
Rexford, NY
July 17, 2010
Ordered three bareroot vanilla strawberry hydrangeas this spring. The dormant plants arrived in decent packaging. All three shrubs are now wonderfully healthy and in full leaf, even with the heat and lack of rain we've been having. Very happy with my purchase so far.
Positive dirtygyrl
Columbia, TN
June 24, 2010
I have been very happy with all the products I've ordered from this company(organic seed starting mix and container mix, etc.). They have a great selection, and offer a lot of organic options. The customer reps are always very nice, and offer discounts.
Positive peellc
Belmar, NJ
June 13, 2010
I've purchased a variety of products from Gardeners Supply over the last 5 years. I have always found them to be helpful. I have had one or two returns, but have always found them to have excellent customer service.
Neutral kimbary
Salt Lake City, UT
June 10, 2010
We received a gift of 6 months of flowering bulbs. The first month was 3 amaryllis bulbs, which did not bloom although there were profuse leaves. I notified the company, and they extended the 6 months to 7. To me it seemed that the bulbs were rather small. For the other months it also seemed that the bulbs were much smaller than ones I would have tried to force (which I have done many times). Generally, the tulips performed poorly. There were too many months with tulips and hyacinths...a lack of variety even though hyacinths are a family favorite. Today we received the 7th month (the extra one), which again is tulips and hyacinths with a few other things, already in bloom in the box. In June one might expect something else, especially after having received tulips and hyacinths many times before. The gift is a tremendous idea, and it was always fun to get the well-packaged boxes, but my assessment is that the bulbs were not of superior quality and lacked variety. I found this site hoping to read other comments about this particular item, but I found none.
Positive sasb1947
Danville, PA
May 22, 2010
I ordered several plant supports from Gardener's Supply for some of my taller annuals. The package arrived within a few days, & everything was packaged very well. I would definitely do business with them again.
Positive flowermaiden2
Saint Maries, ID
May 10, 2010
I've always been happy with Gardeners Supply Company. They have some very clever, useful and creatively imaginative items for those who like to make their gardens into works of art. I have always received good service from them. The one and only time they sent me the wrong product, they immediately rectified the situation, at no cost to me.

Their sturdy ribbed, interlocking edging pieces have proven very useful in partitioning off my slope with groundcovers from the rest of my beds, and also for keeping border rocks in place. Frost heave during winter will push these things out of the ground, eventually, but it's a simple matter to pound them back in when the ground softens, with the mallot I also ordered for that purpose.

I continue getting their catalog and enjoy looking through it. Right now, money is tight, so haven't been able to order anything recently..But I have always been satisfied whenever I've dealt with them.
Positive GKayfes
Rosemount, MN (Zone 4b)
March 31, 2010
They fill their orders correctly and the products are shipped promptly and everything is packed very securely. I appreciate they have an extensive 'review' section for each product because making purchases online can be tricky.
Positive Reversemidas
Vienna, VA (Zone 7a)
March 27, 2010
I order some bean towers that I was unable to find at the big box stores. I saw them on their website and read some of the reviews on their website. So I gave it a try. This is the second time I've ordered from them. They were quick to deliver and they sent me an email along each step of the way to keep me informed on the status of my order. Even a tracking number as well as they upgraded me to 2 day FexEx ground. I'm very happy with the service and product. Product was as described on their website. I would purchase from them again.
Positive ellejacob76
Phoenixville, PA
March 11, 2010
Love this company - I have ordered from them three years in a row with no issues. I like variety of items that they have, the customer service is responsive and I like that I can go visit them when I am in VT.
Negative need2garden
Fairfax, VT
March 9, 2010
Purchased Northern Lights greenhouse - been nothing but problems from day one. I wrote wanting to return it, no reply, then reply - Let us replace failing parts, sure - they replaced some parts but you have to reconstruct the thing every spring. They were just trying to run out the time period when you could return it. I was a sucker. A couple thousand dollars later - still junk. Said they would "make it right" - never did. Just junk. Having a greenhouse was a dream of mine - they turned it into a nightmare. Junk.
Positive bonehead
Cedarhome, WA (Zone 8b)
January 27, 2010
I, too, have ordered several times from these folk, and have always been happy with their service and products. Good solid company.
Positive aliegee
Hanover, PA
January 5, 2010
I have dealt with this company for years and have made many purchases. Occassionally, I have had problems with an order, but their customer service representatives were always quick to take care of them.
My only negative experience was with some tomatoe plant growing bags that attach to the deck. I followed the directions but the bags, soil and tomatoes turned out to be too heavy for my deck rail, which consequently, was damaged. I do not blame GSC for this. I just think that it was a new item and maybe it wasn't the best product. Overall, I think is a a great company with unique and quality items.
Positive charles3783
Chicago, IL
January 4, 2010
I recently ordered 2 self-watering raised beds from this company. One arrived on time with no problems, but the second was missing. I called Gardeners Supply the next day, the friendly and helpful woman who answered the phone assured me that the missing item just hadn't "made it out the door," and they would send it right away. They were as good as their word, since the missing item was delivered to me two days later, and this on the day (a Saturday) after New Year's Day. I'm really impressed with this company and would highly recommend them.