The scoop on 'Calas Tropicals'

Calas Tropicals

751 Palm Lane Rd
Bayview, Texas 78566 (United States)

Editor's Comment:
Closed As of October, 2006 per a note from the owner Calas Tropicals has closed.

Comments:

Positive mrickett
Lawrenceville, GA
September 2, 2005
I was looking for a firespike plant and selected this seller from Davesgarden. I was extremely pleased with the size and condition of the plant as well as how quickly it was delivered. I was not expecting too much from the plant the first year. To my surprise it is in full bloom and growing rapidly. I cannot say enough about this seller. Buy with confidence. You will not be disappointed.
Positive PudgyMudpies
(Zone 9a)
August 30, 2005
I just got the seeds I ordered from Calas Tropicals & I was so pleased with the whole transaction. First, I was thrilled to find the seeds I was looking for, and then, pleased with the speed and ease of the whole purchase. I was emailed when my order was received and then emailed again when they were mailed.
Positive Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM
March 31, 2005
I purchased some Brugmansia seeds from Calas and I cannot say enough about the service and the extras that she sent. I should have posted this a long time ago. Thank you Susie..

Antoinette
Positive Kell
Northern California, CA (Zone 9b)
March 15, 2005
I have bought many brugmansia seeds from Cala's Tropicals not only thru this store but I have also bought some from the owner on eBay. If you look thru my posts on the Brugmansia Forum you will see many pictures of her seedlings that I grew that were such a great success.

I want to add that I got to know the owner of Calatropicals very well thru the Dave's Garden Brugmansia Forum so to be fair, I must state she is my friend now. She has also sent me seeds for no charge, though I try to insist on paying for seeds so as not to abuse our friendship.

However, I can substantiate my accolades for her store thru 2 of my best ever seedlings that I grew from her seed. I bought these seeds from her before we were good friends. One is nicknamed "red" because of its almost red color and has not been formally named yet, and the other is Sexy Lady. Both incredible brugmansia.

Red: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/438064/
Sexy Lady: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/461247/

In fact, if you read thru many threads on the Brugmansia Forum of Dave's Garden, you will see so many great new bruglings that Susie French hybridized and sold the seed so others could enjoy growing quality brugmansia. Thank you Susie French!
Negative cinnabor
Deltona, FL (Zone 9a)
March 15, 2005
Seeds that I ordered were not very good..tried to let her know...she became abusive and spoke having talked to someone about me and felt the only way to deal with me was to refund my money.That is not what I had asked for..I simply said that there was "one package that was really bad could she replace it."That I did get enough seeds from the other packs to at least make a tray. Well I have since returned all the product to her opened seeds and all. I feel this was not a good way to do business. I was not going to enter anything,,But my husband felt I should.
Company representative comment on March 15, 2005:

On Mar 15, 2005 5:09 PM, Calas Tropicals added:

Cinnabor has ordered seeds from a seed bank that I belong to and her complaint was the same "ALL the seeds were empty." I checked the seeds in my bulk seeds in question and found no empty seeds. I offered to refund her money since she wanted ALL the seeds replaced, she sent a very hateful and abusive email to me twice, so my response was to give her a full refund.
Cinnabor has traded with my friends and her complaint about their seeds was the same "ALL the seeds were empty". After she's done this to half a dozen people/sellers, I think she needs to get a new scam.

Positive Roz
Gulfport, MS (Zone 8a)
May 23, 2004
The plants I got from Cala were exceptional. The price , condition of the plants, promptness and her general nice manner makes it a pleasure to do business with her.
Positive minigrannie
San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a)
January 8, 2004
I have ordered several times from this lady, and she has always been very generous with extra plants and seeds each time that I have ordered. They always arrive in excellent condition in a very short time after placing my order. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is thinking about ordering brugmansias and tropicals.
Positive lagata2
Ozark, AL (Zone 8b)
December 7, 2003
I just love this company, the products, and "Cala", to deal with. She seems to be a delightful person and the plants I have bought from her have been healthy large and fast to arrive, always better and more than expected, and at better than average prices. All have grown well for me. I've yet to find another company I could recommend as highly. On the other hand, I don't look any further if Cala's has what I'm looking for!
Positive shirleya
Tamassee, SC (Zone 7b)
November 14, 2003
I ordered Brugmansias and could never had been more pleased with the timely dilverly and the help from the web site one plant was wilted and a replacement plant was sent right away with a gift of another brug I was so pleased with the service I will order again this is a great place to order plants
Positive Shelly221
Denver, CO (Zone 5b)
November 2, 2003
Super fast shipping on the seeds I bought! Great quantity!
Positive delecie
Homestead, FL (Zone 10b)
October 12, 2003
My seed order arrived quickly and well packed. I received more seeds than I paid for and also a bonus package of seeds.

This seller has always been generous with her plants, seeds, and plant knowledge. I will definitely be a repeat customer of Calas Tropicals.
Positive Brugmania
Fort Myers, FL (Zone 10a)
September 25, 2003
Lighting fast shipment of very nice looking seeds. Plus a bonus pack!! : )
Positive drdug
San Diego, CA (Zone 10b)
June 29, 2003
Fast delivery of large healthy plants. Good communication also noted.
Positive toadlily
Grandview, TX (Zone 7b)
May 25, 2003
I have ordered plants from several different mail order companies, but never have I had such a wonderful experience! My plants arrived a few days ago and were all ini wonderful shape. The packaging was excellent, the service was way more than expected and the plants were top notch!
I will be placing another order with them this week!
5 Gold stars!
Positive poway
Poway, CA (Zone 9b)
May 14, 2003
She is just THE BEST!! The speed that I received my plants was unheard of with brugs and her repertoire of plants is something else. And she is extremely generous too! She's at the top of the list.
Positive WaterlooLily
Grass Lake, MI (Zone 5a)
April 13, 2003
A great place to order from, good quality plants, seeds etc. The greenhouse is a wonderful & friendly place to visit . Fast service and packed very well.
Positive nathalyn
Knoxville, TN (Zone 7a)
March 18, 2003
I just received an order of Brugmansia cuttings from Calas Tropicals. I was extremely impressed with the condition of the cuttings, and the care taken to package them. Also, my order was processed timely, and the plant and shipping costs were most reasonable. As this site did not offer credit card payments except through pay pal, I chose to mail a check. My order was received exactly one week from the mailing of my check - - - which is quicker I would have expected. Overall, I give this supplier a gold star for service.
Positive ahelms
Kannapolis, NC (Zone 7b)
March 14, 2003
Greatest place to buy tropicals. I bought three times from them and have been more than happy with my purchases each time.
On March 15th, 2005, ahelms added the following:

I've ordered from Cala's again. I keep coming back. I love her plants and seeds. The Brug Forum on Dave's is full of beautiful Brugs grown from Cala's seeds.
Positive hummer_nut
Montgomery, AL (Zone 8a)
January 30, 2003
I just received my brugmansia order from Callas Tropicals. I was very impressed. The prompt service, the excellent quality of the plants, and the packaging was great. I'm sure you would get the same for any plants ordered. I have ordered from sources all over the US and only one other source, Yucadoo Nursery in TX, so far, compares to the over all quality, service, price & shipping charges. I would & will recommend this company to others. Dated 1/30/2003
Positive poppysue
Westbrook, ME (Zone 5a)
January 6, 2003
I've ordered a couple of times from Cala and her plants are top quality. And her prompt, friendly service can't be beat!
Positive mystic
Ewing, KY (Zone 6a)
October 12, 2002
I have had the pleasure to visit Cala's greenhouses. It's a very nice family owned business ran by the friendliest people .The plants are wonderful .I have had lots of plants from her and have never been disappointed. Her tropical's are all beautiful and make you want to own them all.
Positive dave
October 12, 2002
Calalily and her husband are fantastic people; I've been to their greenhouse many times over the past two years. She has an amazing variety of tropicals and is very generous with all her customers. Her brugs are the most impressive aspect of her business.