The scoop on 'Earlybird Daylilies and Iris'

Earlybird Daylilies and Iris

1313 Hattie
Garden City, Kansas 67846 (United States)

Comments:

Positive missaniss
Candler, NC
August 2, 2013
You can not go wrong with Earlybird. Robin was a pleasure to deal with and her plants are amazing. I received MULTIPLE fans of each cultivar I ordered. I was shocked honestly at how much she sent. I am still over come with how generous she was with her fans one plant I ordered she sent 12 fans!! The fans were very clean also unlike some other companies I've bought from. I am so impressed with Earlybird that I wont buy day lilies from anyone else!
Positive TammyY
Knoxville, TN
July 5, 2013
This year was my first year purchasing daylilies and I couldn't be happier with the plants supplied by Earlybird! I purchased some directly from her website, and some as a bargain box from The Lily Auction. All of the plants were very healthy and good sized! Her communication was also very good in relation to her auctions. I will be buying from Earlybird again!
Positive wb2001
Downsville, LA
June 24, 2013
Ordered a few daylilies I have been wanting from Earlybird. They were shipped promptly and were large and healthy upon arrival. I will definitely order again.
Positive granmasister
Tahoka, TX
June 22, 2013
I have started over twice with my daylily garden and I have ordered from several different companies. But for the price and service, Robin cannot be beat. Her fields are in my zone and the climate is the same as mine, so I knew her plants would have to be hardy and would fit in to my climate. Love all I have received and the scapes are appearing as I type this. The plants have gone through drought and hail but had a great root system, Thank you Robin.
Positive Old_Gardener
Calabasas, CA
May 22, 2013
Posted on November 7, 2012, updated May 22, 2013
Posted on September 11, 2012, updated November 7, 2012
Posted on May 13, 2012, updated September 11, 2012
I recently placed an order for several daylilies from Earlybird Daylilies and I could not be more pleased. The daylilies arrived well packaged and absolutely fresh with large root systems. Each one consisted of multiple fans that were meticulously clean and Robin was more than generous with the extras that she included. Earlybird is a definite "go to" nursery for daylilies and one of those rare "10-star" nurseries that are so difficult to find. I would absolutely recommend Earlybird. (and communication is also great!)
On September 11th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I placed an additional order this autumn and,again, I was delighted with the daylilies that Robin sent. Multiple fans, generous bonus plants, great prices, quick shipping and wonderful customer service make Earlybird a 10 star vendor!!! Thank you, Robin - you are fantastic!
On November 7th, 2012, Old_Gardener added the following:

I placed one more very-late-in-the-season order with Earlybird Daylilies. I still cannot get over the quality of the plants nor Robin's extreme generosity. I will definitely continue to order from Earlybird!!! An extraordinary find!
On May 22nd, 2013, Old_Gardener added the following:

I received my spring order from Robin (10 cultivars) and could not be more pleased!! Her daylilies always look fantastic and come with the nicest root systems. As before, she sent multiple fans and wonderful bonuses. Thank you, Robin - I so appreciate your kindness and generosity!
Positive 50Carrots
Chesapeake Ranch Estates-Drum Point, MD
May 3, 2013
I was searching for some unique daylily colors and found what I was looking for on the Early Bird Daylily website. I was looking for a white spider and found Jocelyn’s Oddity and a double white Vanilla Ruffles. I also bought three lavender spiders: Cleo, Lavender Light and Rainbow Spangles. I also purchased four other daylilies for a total of nine and received four bonus plants. Great customer service.Well packaged. All daylilies thrived and are a great addition to my garden. Earlybird is located in Garden City, Kanas: “With all these extremes in weather, daylilies that thrive here have to be REALLY hardy. No prissy greenhouse grown, raised bed coddled prima donnas here- it's get tough or die!”

Positive LucasCatChow
Tulsa, OK
April 22, 2012
Posted on April 16, 2011, updated April 22, 2012
Daylilies were shipped at the appropriate time for my zone 7 garden and were some of the best daylily roots I've seen. Little to no grooming was required and the roots were well hydrated with no rot or broken pieces.
On April 22nd, 2012, LucasCatChow added the following:

Ordered again this spring and couldn't have been more pleased with the experience. Nice clean fans with good roots systems. One of my favorite places for daylilies. You can't go wrong.
Positive plantgnome1
nowhere land, NY (Zone 6b)
September 28, 2011
I received my first order from Robin today Three Bozo's and even a free Big Apple daylily (which by the way was huge). The clumps were huge and healthy. She even sent extras of Bozo because she wasn't happy with the size of the fans. The fans weren't huge but the clumps were large and were healthy and I am sure they will do great. This was the first time I ordered with Earlybird and only found them from a person on Garden forums on another site. I wish I found it sooner as I have spent a small fortune on daylilies at twice the price Robin Charges. She has no minimum order requirements either and shipped quickly. You must try this company if you like daylilies. She is also a hoot to deal with, quite funny about the weather in Kansas. I like dealing with someone that doesn't coddle their plants-as neither do I. My motto is I plant you correctly and feed you-if you don't perform-I plant you in my plant cemetery or move you to a different site. I move plants all during the summer no matter what the "proper time" for transplanting is-they all survive and thrive and come back in spring. Robin leaves her plants thru storms, hail and the like. Only the strong survive! Thanks Robin.
Positive themikesmom
Concord, NC
August 20, 2011
Robin Calderon has always been extremely nice to my Son. Back in January my Son won 20 blooming size historic Cleo fans from Robin and when she shipped them in early May as agreed they were all huge and healthy. We ordered some historic Copperhead fans from her and she sent sike 7 extra healthy fans and a wonderful holly dancer bonus that was as big as a tb iris fan, and all three varieties we have gotten from Earlybird so far have bloomed within like 3 weeks of planting them this very first year and season they were in the ground!!. A very generous person and highly recommended for anybody to do buisnes with. Sandra
Positive mellen1954
New Providence, IA (Zone 5a)
June 1, 2011
HOLY BUCKETS!!! I will keep Robin in my favorites for daylilies. I ordered from her sale items, and she sent the largest clumps of daylilies that I have ever received. I am beyond pleased. Some of the plants in the clumps were as big around as my thumb.

Thank you so much, Robin! AND, thanks for the gift daylilies. You are the best.
ME
Positive celestialrose
Belmont, NH (Zone 4b)
May 14, 2011
This was the first order with Robin and I am a ' forever' customer now! Robin is a delight to do business with. She seems more like a friend now because of all the communication over the winter. I placed a large order with her back in January and (after adding on a few more later....it was a long winter!) looked forward to May with great anticipation. Yesterday my daylilies arrived and when I opened the box I could not believe my eyes. They were big and healthy, but best of all, she had sent multiple fans of each. I have ordered from many places, but Robin sends the most fans. The minimum was 3 fans, but most were 5 - 6 fans......clumps, really. That is important to me because I live in a cold zone with a very short growing season.
I hate having to wait forever for them to clump up. I also like that Robin's daylilies are not coddled or pampered. They are tough daylilies that will do well here. She has a wonderful website that is easy to navigate and so much fun for winter
dreaming. I have nothing but the highest praise for Robin and I encourage anyone who loves daylilies to place an order with her. You will be as delighted as I am.
Positive teacher33
Belton, MO
April 29, 2011
Just received a second order from Robin at Earlybird Daylilies and Iris. My first was last September. All of those lilies are growing extremely well. The order I just received once again had top quality lilies. She is so helpful and it is a pleasure to do business with her.
Positive cicada
Brownsville, KY (Zone 6a)
July 9, 2010
Ordered from sale list and received large healthy daylily fans. Great communication and fast shipping.
Positive olgaflowers
McKinney, TX
May 14, 2010
Well, when I open my box of daylilies from Robin,
I thought wow !!! these are huge !! where's Kansas :)
Thank You again Robin, for helping me get some flat pancake shape daylilies :)
Best, olgaflowers from near Dallas Tx
Positive hlebear
Yukon, OK
April 22, 2010
I just received my shipment of daylillies and I was amazed! I ordered from four different suppliers and these were the best by far! Very generous green fans with extensive root systems. I can't wait to see these beauties in bloom! Very, very happy with my purchase. You will not be disappointed.

Positive Joy
Kalama, WA (Zone 8b)
October 19, 2009
I ordered daylilies from Robin in the spring of 2009. Her prices are very good and she has a great selection. She sent really nice, healthy plants and included lots of extra fans, some were clumps. Plus she even included a very nice gift plant.
The best part was that every one of them bloomed the first year.
I highly recommend Earlybird Daylilies and Iris. You won't be disappointed.
Positive iowamomof3
Oskaloosa, IA (Zone 5a)
August 16, 2008
I ordered from Robin this spring and received wonderful daylilies from her. I appreciated the way she kept me informed of when my daylilies would ship. And replied very promptly to my questions. Would highly recommend. And would order from her again.
Positive perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA (Zone 6a)
August 7, 2008
I bought daylilies from Robin last year. She was very friendly, informative and helpful, and her daylilies were very generously large and healthy and prices very reasonable. Will definitely buy from her again!
Positive bjhickman
Pasco, WA
October 6, 2007
I am a beginning gardener, so daylilies were an obvious choice for me (given their reputation for tolerance), especially given our sunny locale. To my detriment, I am also an engineer, so I executed the layout of my flower bed with all the rigor of engineering project - all the colors evenly spaced, even dispersal of blooming periods within each color, etc. I must be a true naturalist's worst nightmare!

I realized early that every seller had very different stocks of cultivars, so I looked on Dave's Garden and the AHS website for guidance, and Earlybird Daylilies caught my eye because of their high rating and the similarity of their local weather to ours. I wrote Robin Calderon several e-mails asking for advice and some general questions regarding daylilies, and she was so incredibly nice! No two line answers - she gave full, detailed explanations.

When it came time for me to order, I sent my very elaborate bed drawing to her for fun, along with my order. She ended up having to make some substitutions, so she went through and matched my diagram, plant for plant, bloom time for bloom time, color for color, height for height, and even the shape of the flowers!!! Not only that, she dug almost 50 daylilies, packed them, and sent them from Kansas to Washington State in less than four days!

They arrived well-packaged and healthy-looking. As I said, I am a beginner, but here are my observations: the top parts were all still mostly green and the bottoms were about the size of two Mason jars laid side-by-side (some were smaller, but not many). Very little broke off in the bottom of the box.

There are probably other good daylily sellers out there, but I am absolutely sold on Earlybird Daylilies from the customer service standpoint - I sent an e-mail last week to another seller for a couple of cultivars that I could not find on Robin's site, and they have yet to respond to my e-mail. In that time, I got three e-mails from Robin and received my whole order!

Thanks, Robin! I'll post pictures when they bloom!
Positive ZBestGal
Biddeford, ME
May 16, 2007
I highly recommend ordering from Robin. Big strong healthy plants and roots! She is more than generous with her plants. I will definately order again!!!!
Positive Mainiac
Poland, ME
May 4, 2007
Robin sent me awesome plants. Huge multiple fans. Nice roots, fresh looking. I am thoroughly amazed!
Positive se_eds
Millersburg, PA (Zone 6b)
October 4, 2006
I was looking for Kropf double daylilies and found out here on Dave's about Earlybird Daylilies.

I ordered a double fan of Zella Virginia from Robin and received a beautiful clean, vigorous clump of 10 fans. WOW

In addition she sent a beautiful bonus of a healthy big clump of double Amethyst Art. She is a good communicator and I highly recommend her gardens and plants. I will order from her again.
Positive Tree_Climber
Brown City, MI (Zone 5a)
May 12, 2006
I have nothing but praise for Robin Calderon of "Earlybird Daylilies".

She has the largest collection of "Kropf" cultivars available. That's what drew me to her, but she also offers a nice list of other Daylilies.

I recieved beautiful fans of :
AMAZON LADY; DOUBLE KATHY; FOUR STAR; GINGER GIRL: HOLIDAY PARTY & TEQUILA ROSE

And to top it off, I got 2 bonus plants:
DELTAS DREAM & BUTTERDISH

Thank You Robin!
Kathy
Positive tarredokie
April 17, 2003
Pleasant and informative. Daylilies had great root systems. Generous bonus given. Thank you!