The scoop on 'Earthly Pursuits'

Earthly Pursuits

2901 Kuntz Road
Windsor Mill, Maryland 21244 (United States)

Phone: 410-496-2523
Fax: 410-496-5894

Visit Earthly Pursuits at:

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Kurt Bluemel Inc.

Comments:

Positive Wiesendangen
Blairstown, NJ
September 28, 2012
First time ordering from this company. Very good experience. I ordered grasses, they arrived big, sturdy and healthy looking, even the ones in plugs. Even got extra ones. Great selection of grasses at great prices. Speedy shipping though a bit on the expensive side. The packing itself wasn't the greatest, just shredded paper, though still moist when box arrived. In warmer weather might have dried out. Still, will definitely order again if I need grasses/sedges.
Positive Melissa_D
Pittsburgh, PA (Zone 6a)
May 15, 2008
I ordered two Japanese anemones this spring. One was no longer available, and EP was prompt in contacting me re: a substitute. I chose an alternate, and both plants arrived soon thereafter, healthy in good-size pots.
Positive BruMeta
Livingston Manor, NY
June 30, 2006
My first experience with Earthly Pursuits won't be my last. I am as favorably impressed with their courtesy and customer service as I am with their plants' performance. This spring I ordered just two grasses from them, but received three with a note telling me that the extra plant (same species as another) was included because clumps of that species were small this year and that the two could be planted together (although they were well rooted enough to plant in different spots had I wanted to do so).
On August 10th, 2007, BruMeta added the following:

Another season, another order, another totally delightful experience.
Positive joshz8a
z8a, AL (Zone 8a)
April 14, 2006
Received all plants in good healthy well-rooted condition, carefully packed. Very pleased with my order and will definitely order again. josh z8a
Positive elaird
Boone, NC
August 31, 2005
I placed a small order of 2 Toad Lilies. They arrived quickly. They were well packed for shipment. And their condition was superior: beautiful, large and healthy plants. Just as I had hoped! I would definitely buy from this company again.
Positive Baldwin
Newtown, PA (Zone 6a)
May 18, 2005
I ordered several ornamental grasses from this company and I'm delighted by the quality and the prices. They have a large variety of grasses to choose from and seem to have unique expertise in this area. I am looking forward to the maturation of the plants to see how they look as a backdrop for my perennial bed.
Positive xjnc
West Harrison, NY
October 11, 2004
Have ordered small orders three times this year(2004). Mid -summer, and two this fall. Phlox lingard,artemesia,nepeta.phlox divarica. Each quite good size.. Phlox lingard in fact came in gallon pots! Was a 50 pound package!.
Positive lavenda
Baltimore, MD
May 14, 2004
This was my first order from Earthly Pursuits. I was pleasantly surprised by the size and health of the multiple items I ordered, which were shipped at the time I requested. Compared to other mail order nurseries that I've done business with, EP's plants were noticeably larger and stronger. I was sent some Veronica plugs instead of a plant, but they are strongly rooted and appear to be doing well.
Imagine my surprise when I happened to find a tray of plants, watered, unpacked and ready for planting on my front porch! (I guess the company delivers plants themselves to local addresses???)
I definately intend to do business with this company again.
Positive Ewald
Limerick, PA (Zone 6b)
November 10, 2003
I ordered a sedge, two ferns, and two species of bleeding heart. The order was promptly shipped and well packaged. The ferns appeared healthy, the potted sedge was substituted with three healthy plugs of the same species, the bleeding hearts were dormant but looked OK.
Positive sidjones
February 1, 2002
I ordered from EP in the spring of 2001 and was quite pleased with the value received. Thought the prices were quite fair, esp. when ordering 5 of a kind. The plants were quire large compared to what is shipped by other companies. Several requested plants were unavailable, but that is not unusual. I did receive a substitute despite specifying no substitutes. The company was quite nice about the error and gave me a refund and did not require me to return the plant.
Neutral harveysnyder
September 1, 2001
Apparently, Kurt Bluemel has turned over his retail mail-order business to his sister Monika Burwell, who mailed a 2001 catalog called Earthly Pursuits, with the Bluemel name sharing the cover. There is still a considerable collection of Bluemel's famous and excellent ornamental grasses, bamboos, ferns and perennials, with sparse information and no photos. Prices are moderate (for mail-order) and discounts are given when you order 5 or more of a single variety. It's odd that the $50 minimum order is still specified on the order form but is not mentioned in the Order Information on page 2. Looks like the company is trying to find its new footing. Kurt Bluemel Inc. is apparently ONLY online now, at where he is clearly more interested in selling wholesale, but also takes retail orders. The site is well designed but looks unfinished. I browsed for a while and didn't see many photos. Wonder if retail orders placed online are handed over to his sister's company for shipping.