The scoop on 'Hobbs Farm & Greenery'

Hobbs Farm & Greenery

Hobbs Farm & Greenery has 260 products listed in PlantScout.

979 Barnestown Road
Hope, Maine 04847 (United States)

Phone: 207-763-4606
Fax: 207-763-3428

Company Comment, posted on January 1, 2001:
Specializing in Scented Pelargonium, Zonal and Ivy Geranium Plants.

Comments:

Positive cradlew
Kennesaw, GA (Zone 7b)
May 16, 2014
Posted on May 13, 2014, updated May 16, 2014
Ordered a 6 pack of balcon geraniums. arrived quickly, w/instructions, and nicely packed. One of the geraniums arrived broken at the neck. I even bought some rooting powder to see if I could save the last one....no good.

wrote FOUR times for a replacement or refund. Lorraine, the sole owner said twice she would ship me another plant..(I had specific plans for each of the 6 plants).

Nothing has arrived yet--guess it has gone into the "junk" pile.
the remaining plants are growing but extremely slowly.
No more Hobbs for me!
c. L. Master Gardener
On May 16th, 2014, cradlew changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

OK... I take it all back! Today I received a very nice handwritten apology from Lorraine of Hobbs Farm & Greenery.

In stead of just sending one balcon geranium replacement, by way of apology, she sent me several!

So there is really something to be said for dealing with a small company of ONE... Your handwritten card made me blush for my hasty remarks. all of them arrived in perfect condition--all in bloom so I could see the colors! Can't wait to see them fully grown. thank you Lorraine!
Positive geraldbertholl
Melville, LA
February 14, 2012
I had researched geraniums to pick out some desirable for houseplants and found the ones i had decided on at Hobbs Farms. Subsequent to my order, i received a package with the 3 plants i had ordered. Even after being in the 'mail' for several days, they looked great and the box contained a great information sheet with geranium related information. It was a very pleasant experience and i recommend them.
Positive Sermoneta
Cuddebackville, NY (Zone 5b)
December 22, 2011
Thank you! Ms. Hobbs was helpful and informative on the phone when I called since I don't know much about scented geraniums. She is obviously knowledgeable and a real professional and was quick to offer a substitute for something I thought I wanted because she didn't think it was good enough to ship. My little plants arrived beautifully and carefully packed, nice and healthy. If you want geraniums (pelargoniums) this is the place to buy them and she has a great selection.
Positive psychloman
Brooklyn, NY (Zone 7a)
May 21, 2011
My order of eight scented geraniums arrived quicky and beautifully packed. Plants were a very generous size and healthy. Hobb's has a tempting variety of all sorts of geraniums. Their website is worth a look.Prices are very good.
Neutral lainy8
July 28, 2010
Posted on July 26, 2010, updated July 28, 2010
I received 3 different kinds of geraniums 20 days ago and unfortunately one of them died. (I planted them as instructed and two of them are doing well) I emailed the owner for either replacement or refund but no response for more than a week. It's funny that when I emailed the owner before ordering the plants she answered me within one day. But when it comes for refund there is no answer.

This place is a hit or miss. You could get a healthy plant but if you get a weak one and it dies, don't expect to hear from the owner again.
On July 28th, 2010, lainy8 changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

After posting this thread the owner contacted me and gave me a partial refund. (received $5 for $5.50 priced plant) Changed the rating from negative to neutral.
Company representative comment on July 29, 2010:
On Jul 28, 2010 3:50 PM, Hobbs Farm & Greenery responded with:

We did not get a email from this lady telling us her plant had died.We do not always get all emails some time they go to the junk file. But I can tell you this, we have never not replaced or given a refund and we never will.If you do not hear from us call or send a not by snall mail or send us another email.
Lorraine Smith owner

On Jul 29, 2010 11:31 AM, Hobbs Farm & Greenery added:

I gave a $5.00 refund thinging this plant was $4.95 but after checking later I see it was $5.50 plant so I gave a $1.00 more.Sorry for the mixup.
Lorraine

Positive Detour0824
Mesa, AZ
May 26, 2010
I have ordered twice from this company. Both times my orders arrived within two days of notice of shipment and both times the plants were healthy and all was in good order. I would not hesitate to order from this company again.
Positive eggergrl44
Alpharetta, GA
May 13, 2010
The plants were nice sized and very well packaged. The quality was much nicer than several of the other mail order geraniums I had received. The plants were healthy and in great condition. I'll definitely order from Hobbs again!
Positive CherokeeGreg
Fresno, CA (Zone 9a)
December 19, 2009
Posted on December 18, 2009, updated December 18, 2009
All I can say is this company is the best ! Im so happy with my plant. Very nice. Fast shipping. Nice people to deal with. You will not be sorry. Plus the prices are very fare. I cannot beleve how fast I received my plant. The plants are nice size also. Thanks so much
On December 19th, 2009, CherokeeGreg added the following:

Here is a link of the plant I received its called Billbergia Nutans I never grew one of these im looking forward to it.
Positive shohinken
Fort Lauderdale, FL
September 24, 2009
I placed an order with Hobbs. The order arrived in 1 and 1/2 weeks care of US Postal Service. My heart sank as I noticed one side of the box had been smashed in during transit. I opened the box
and was pleasantly surprised to see that none of the plants were
damaged because of how well they were packed. I received all
the plants that I ordered and was pleased at the size of the plants.
I am glad to find one miniature geranium supplier who knows how to please customers. Keep up the good work,
Positive sthinton
Astoria, NY (Zone 6b)
June 5, 2009
I highly recommend Hobbs Farm & Greenery. The selection of Pelargonium is unmatched by any other nursery that I have found in my extensive search.

The company's Web site is a bit old-fashioned, but offers all the information you need to make selections. Plants are grouped by type with photos of nearly every plant.

A confirmation email is sent when an ordered is placed, and this is followed by a message with a direct link to tracking information on the USPS Web site. I was a little concerned that shipping was via US post office Priority Mail, but my ordered was received promptly after shipment and the plants were in perfect condition.

The size of the plants is small, but this not a concern with Pelargonium as these all grow VERY quickly. All the plants I received had a decent amount of root, stem and had generous leafing.

For newbies it is important to learn that Pelargonium is a plant that is commonly called Geranium. But, Geranium is a hearty perennial that has nothing in common with Pelargonium. Confusing I know, but you definitely should learn the difference.

Hobbs selection of scented Pelargonium varieties is amazing and I recommend you add some of these to your collection. I grow mine in large pots and bring them in when cold weather arrives in fall. When brought inside, cut them back heavily, don't water much and fertilize VERY lightly. If kept in a sunny window they survive and can be moved back to the garden when warm weather returns, and within six weeks the plant will be just as large again. Divide after two years and discard the excess or give to a friend.

My favorite variety is Rober's Lemon Rose which has a very pronounced fragrance and large, cut, slightly furry leaves. It grows to a very large plant in one summer. The variety Attar of Rose had a DEEP rose scent and is used in the perfume industry.

Another strain that I recommend is the Ivy type (not fragrant). These have similar leaves and flowers as the standard Pelargonium, but the habit is trailing. Added to pots and baskets they provide a fantastic, hearty and unusual look. The flower head is a bit loose and old-fashioned. So if you don't care for the over-used common style, you'll probably like the ivy version.
On June 5th, 2009, sthinton added the following:

Followed this link to see photos of the plants I received:
Positive BlissfulGarden
Baton Rouge, LA
April 23, 2009
I ordered pelargoniums from three growers on the same day, with the intention of seeing which one provided the best plants, prices, shipping and service. To my pleasure, all three delivered healthy plants. The plants from Hobbs were the smallest of the three growers and their price was slightly higher. Their shipping was about the same amount as the other two. Their packaging was careful on their end, but the box was quite banged up by the time it arrived. There were a few broken leaves as a result, but overall the plants were in fine condition. I'm sure they will perform beautifully. I'm pleased with the purchase and I will consider Hobbs for future purchases.
Positive cveten
Berkeley, CA
April 18, 2009
We needed some geraniums for a science project, and were running low on time. We called Hobbs Farm and Greenery and they were very helpful and ensured that our order arrived by when we needed it. The plants arrived perfectly healthy, after traveling across the entire country, were well-wrapped, and were packaged with care. They are still thriving on our dorm windowsills.
Positive magnaastra
Charleston, IL (Zone 6a)
April 3, 2009
I am definitely going to order again! I got eight beautiful, healthy pelargoniums, including some hard-to-find varieties, all of which made the long trip from the East Coast in perfect shape. Somebody really cared, and it shows... Wish I could give you a "super-positive" rating :)
Positive Florida9
Palm Harbor, FL (Zone 9b)
March 14, 2009
I have just received my first order from Hobbs, and I am very pleased with both the plants and the packaging. I ordered 3 scented geraniums and one fancy leafed. Each was in a different size/shape pot, which seemed perfect for each variety. The plants were well branched, and during planting I noticed all had good roots filling the pot, and none were potbound. They were so well wrapped and boxed that there was not a single broken leaf. I know scented geraniums will be a challenge here in west central FL, but Hobbs has gotten me off to the best possible start.
Positive Spider07
Lilburn, GA
November 5, 2008
Just received my big order from Hobbs. I am very impressed. Was waiting for cuttings but received healthy well stablished plants. Will be back with more orders. Great Job!!!
Positive kbedit
Arvada, CO
September 18, 2008
I am giving a positive rating because the two plants I ordered and received (Arctic Star and Bird Dancer) are absolutely beautiful, healthy, starter specimens. Customer service is very responsive, and my order arrived on time.

My only reservation is about the packaging. The box arrived really banged up, caved in on one side, and the bottom partially open. As a result, the leaves on both plants were pretty smushed and folded, but for the most part, relatively intact. I would like to recommend that Hobbs reconsiders their packaging and cushioning materials. Granted, they cannot be held accountable for USPS handling, but I think it would be a good idea for them to consider something more than just crushed newspaper to protect their beautiful plants.
Positive kkirschbaum
Yonkers, NY (Zone 6b)
September 10, 2008
I recently ordered my first batch of plants from this place and was very pleased with the results. The plants were healthy and arrived well packed and in good shape (even though the box itself was worse for wear). I look forward to ordering again.
Positive Chantell
Middle of, VA (Zone 7a)
April 27, 2008
Ordered 3 scented geraniums 2nd week of April rec'd them this past week. Folks at Hobbs are good and sending out emails letting you know order was rec'd and approx. when they'd be shipping. You also receive an email when items are actually shipped. Plants arrived very well packed, were as described, and came w/care instructions.
Positive kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR (Zone 7b)
February 7, 2008
I can't say enough good things about this company. I have ordered many times, twice a year for the past 4 years . Although I no longer grow pelargoniums except for a very few, they don't live through the heat of the summer. I have enjoyed them while I had them and this is the one place I would purchase them at. Unusual varieties and nice sized plants which you don't get else where.
Positive pookerella
Bellmore, NY (Zone 7a)
August 5, 2007
I have nothing but nice things to say about Hobbs. When my order for Ivy and Balcon geraniums (pelargoniums) fell through from a different supplier (enough to fill 6 deck boxes), Hobbs came to the rescue with abundant stock and prompt service. I couldn't be happier. The plants arrived within 10 days and were very healthy and packed extremely well. They have flourished and are presently making my deck extremely beautiful!
Positive GreenVelvet
Middletown, RI
July 4, 2007
I ordered a number of scented geraniums from Hobbs Farm this spring. Although the order took a while to ship and I didn't receive quite as much detail and email communication as I would have liked (specific cultivars weren't listed on the email receipt, for example) this is a small complaint. Once shipped, the plants arrived in a timely fashion and were beautifully and carefully packaged and in excellent condition. The were large and well-rooted, and they have all thrived. The selection of scented geranium varieties is extensive on their website. I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommend them highly.
Company representative comment on July 5, 2007:

On Jul 5, 2007 10:32 AM, Hobbs Farm & Greenery added:

We are sorry for the email communication.We had our e-commerce store with microsoft shut down as they were going to phaze out of this service. We had to find a new e-commerce store and change everthing over in our buzy season. This problem has been fixed now.
Hobbs Farm

Positive Pamgarden
Central, VA (Zone 7b)
January 11, 2007
I had a very favorable experience with the quality and shipment of my plant order in 2006. When I went to the website to place an order for this year, I found many of the items were listed as unavailable or sold out. Does anyone know whether this vendor still sells to retail customers?
Company representative comment on January 12, 2007:

On Jan 12, 2007 9:14 AM, Hobbs Farm & Greenery added:

We are still selling plants.Our stock got low so took them of our store till we get a lot of new stock. We have also added a lot of new plants for spring of 2007.
Hobbs Farm and Greenery

Neutral SnoopyPuppy
Arlington, TX
June 3, 2006
On May 8, 2006, I ordered 2 pink rosebuds and 2 apple blossom rosebuds (Order #100049614523461487). The order arrived 11 days later. The two pink rosebuds were in good size. The two apple blossom rosebuds were more expensive but very small. The apple blossom rosebuds looked like they were just transferred from 1" pots to 2.5" pots before packaged. Each apple blossom had 3 leaves and the root was not well established. As instructed, I did not transplant the plants right away. A week later, the two pink rosebuds were thriving while the two apple blossom rosebuds died. I emailed Hobbs Farm & Greenery, asking if I could have replacement for the two dead apple blossom rosebuds. It has been more than a week and I still have not heard from them.
On June 6th, 2006, SnoopyPuppy changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

After I posted this negative message, the owners contacted me, informing me that the apple blossom rosebuds were not available and I would receive a refund in check. Thanks for taking your time to respond to my email and message. So in all fairness, I change my rating to neutral.
Positive tobee43
groveland, FL (Zone 9b)
May 18, 2006
i rec'd my lovely order today from Lorraine. i ordered 2 dozen geraniums and everyone of them was in absolute perfect condition. not even one broken leaf.

the prices are extremely reasonable, communication is excellent and the packaging is wonderful. shipping instructions followed to the "t". i'm not thinking you could ask for more from any company.

i would highly recommend hobbs farm and greenery to anyone looking for geraniums. i most certainly will be a repeat customer!
Positive ellishanginggar
Medford, OR
April 11, 2006
I recieved 10 wonderful pelargoniums from this company. All were good representations of what I saw on their web page. They were packed well, and recieved very soon after I placed the order. I was so excited, I immediatly placed another order, and again, the plants are already on their way!
Positive lavenderwolf
Abilene, TX (Zone 7b)
October 21, 2005
Wonderful plants. Big plants for a great price. Showed up here in Texas all the way from Maine perfect. Really fast shipping too.
Positive tracyrae
Gresham, OR (Zone 8a)
June 17, 2005
Absolutely the nicest plants I've received by mail! They looked as if they had gone directly from the greenhouse to my doorstep, instead from coast to coast!
Positive Loree
Jersey City, NJ
May 13, 2005
I'm very happy with my small order and am about to order more plants from Hobbs. The packaging was amazing (as described in another feedback), and each plant came with a helpful instruction sheet. I highly recommend Hobbs.
Positive Debsroots
Northwest, MO (Zone 5a)
March 25, 2005
Just received my order of 6 plants. They all arrived in excellent condition. Each plant was in a plastic pot with soil. The soil stayed in the pot as they took the time to surround the pot in a plastic bag....leaving the plant itself exposed above the plastic. Each pot was then put inside a paper shelter for further insulation...then the plants were surrounded by shipping peanuts. The shipment arrived within a few days of me placing the order. Just excellent!!! Most definetly would order from them again.
Positive silkieweaver
Salem, OR (Zone 8a)
April 5, 2004
I ordered 10 scented-leaf pelargonium plants from Hobbs Farm's website. Twelve days after placing the order, I received email notification that the plants had been shipped via USPS Priority Mail and would arrive the following day. Arriving when promised, the well-established plants were shipped in small plastic pots. The pots were wrapped in plastic bags, and each plant was wrapped in newspaper. Nine of the 10 arrived in very good to excellent condition; the 10th, a variegated plant, had suffered during shipment and had many soft-to-limp yellowing leaves. I left the plant in indirect light over the weekend to try to recover, but by Monday the yellowing leaves were turning brown. I contacted Lorraine at Hobbs Farm by email that Monday morning. As of Tuesday, I hadn't heard back from her, so I called her on the phone. She was friendly and helpful; once we established that the foliage problem was not the normal casting off of old leaves (as it was too extensive and also included new growth), she offered to send out a replacement right away. She was true to her word, and the replacement plant arrived in excellent condition. Based on the excellent customer service and the overall high quality of the plants, I look forward to doing business with Hobbs Farm again.
Neutral JohnDrury
April 1, 1995
Our order from this company was very small. Part of the reason for that was that we could get the same plants a little cheaper in other places. The second reason was that the selection was good, but not huge. We ordered a couple of plants that were not available anywhere else. The quality of the plants was good. I believe that the plants arrived in small plastic containers. They delivered the plants on time. I had no telephone contact with them, so I cannot say whether their phone responses are good. Hardiness and some cultural information exists in the catalog. The prices were competitive with other places, and it is worth getting this catalog.
Company representative comment on March 20, 2005:

On Mar 20, 2005 12:25 PM, Hobbs Farm & Greenery added:

Hobbs Farm and Greenery was not selling plants in April 1995 .We did not start till the spring of 1999
Lorraine Smith