The scoop on 'Lamb Nursery'

Lamb Nursery

Long Beach, Washington 98631
(United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Question Mark As of March 2009, this company is marked as closed. For several years, the telephone number has been registered to someone else. If anyone has a different status update on Lamb Nursery, please contact the Garden Watchdog editors.

Comments:

Negative sallyweivoda
April 1, 1999
In 1996 I placed an order to Lamb nurseries. They didn't have everything I ordered so they sent what they had along with a credit slip for the rest. The flowers that arrived weren't too good, and since then they have all died. I sent back the credit slip and asked for a check, which the catalog said was allowed. They didn't answer so I assumed the greenhouse was closed for the winter and didn't write back until spring, when I asked them to send either the check or plants from a list of substitutes I included but they ignored me. I wrote back a third time threatening to report them to the better business bureau and then did report them several months later. I don't recommend that anyone order from them ever again.
Neutral dcblaine
April 1, 1998
I used to order from this company, and enjoyed there unique plant selection. However, I have not received a 1997 or 1998 catalog, and their phone number is out of order. I assume they're out of business? Does anyone know what happened to them?
Negative KateHunter
January 1, 1997
I have ordered from Lamb's for about 7 years anduntil the last two years, was quite pleased with my orders. As noted above, they are a specialist nursery and you will be able to find some things in their catalog not offered anywhere else. Then last spring after their move, I was disappointed since they had moved from zone 5 t zone 7 and I wasn't finding as many things which are hardy for me. In addition, they moved just in time to be hit by the severe flooding in the Pacific Northwest and this decimated their stock.Unfortunately, they went ahead and sent plants to me which were so puny that many of them did not survive to be planted in the open ground. I wrote them a note around July and have not heard from them. They have had a fine reputation for many years, I hate to see them behaving so badly especially towards a long term customer. [update] Just a brief update on my earlier comments. My 1996 order contained a mis-labeled plant. My ID on this was positive - a Platycodon, which was supposed to be 8" high ('Apoyama'), turned out to be the ordinary species at 30" high. I never received a response to the note I sent them about this. They've now knocked me off their mailing list - after 7 years of getting nice big orders from me, I did not get a spring '97 catalog.
Positive rickhemmen
February 1, 1996
I have enjoyed doing business with Lambs. Their catalogue has a pronunciation guide for each botanical name. All the plants of each category are grouped together and they have a small price break if you order all of their gypsophilias for example. However, even though I placed an order with them last year they have not sent me a 96 catalogue.
Positive judymcmillan
January 1, 1996
Lamb Nursery used to be located in Spokane, but a street widening project took their site and they moved to Long Beach for a milder climate where they could work on a larger plant list. Everything they offered was hardy to zone 4 or so, nice for us northern gardeners, prices and plant sizes not spectacular, but some unusual stuff not common elsewhere. Some of the ordering problems may have occurred because they were in transition.
Positive goran
September 15, 1995
I found a place that has an amazing selection of perennials and specializes in Rock Garden Plants. I placed an order with them about 10 days ago and plants arrived yesterday (mid-September, 1995) in wonderful condition. They were packaged with care and are very healthy looking. Their catalog is not illustrated. They are pricier than the catalogues I ordered from in the past, but after seeing the difference I will never again order Michigan Bulb's, dead-on-arrival plants.
Neutral JohnDrury
April 1, 1995
Our experience with this company was mixed. It is a small operation.The catalog has some interesting plants in it, but the selection isn't huge. Prices are average. There are no pictures, but hardiness zones and some cultural information are provided. This is a good 'filler' catalog for finding a special plant that you cannot find anywhere else.We placed a small order in March 1995, and asked that it be shipped around April 15. I arrived the last week in April, and most of the companies from which we had ordered had already shipped the plants. However, there was nothing from Lamb. I called to check on the status of our first order, and to place a second 'emergency' order with them. The woman who answered the phone first said she thought that all plants were available, and that she would try to ship everything as soon as possible. She was very helpful, to the point of giving me the name of another nursery to call in order to obtain a plant that was wiped out at their nursery by floods. So far, so good. The next week, when nothing had arrived, I called again. The man who answered thetelephone was more cagey and not as responsive. He used the excuse of being very busy (I know, but that's why we placed our first order in March), and of being unable to use the computer to check on the status of our order. He said that he would have the computer person check on it the next day.Within two days, we received the plants for the first order. Two weeks later, the second order had yet to arrive. The plants that we did receive were healthy. They were wrapped in white paper, with basketweaving material (for lack of a better name) around the plants and dirt plugs. The prices were fair, but not cheap. I would say that the price-to-quality comparison places this company in the average range. The catalog itself is relatively small, with no pictures. Hardiness zones are provided. Telephone orders are discouraged, but accepted in a pinch. I'd like to support them more, but they need to get their shipping act together.