The scoop on 'Seeds Blum'

Seeds Blum

Boise, Idaho 83706-9725
(United States)

We do not have a web address listed for this company.

Editor's Comment:
Closed Per Mike Dunton of Victory Seeds, Seeds Blum was closed several years ago. His website contains a tribute to Jan Blum and her company, along with an open invitation to former members of her "Garden-to-Garden Network" to consider joining their "Grower Network" program: http://www.saveseeds.org/biography/blum/blum_bio.html

Comments:

Positive apricotfig
San Mateo, CA
October 2, 2005
Very pleased with every dealing I have had with this company. Results from Seeds Blum seeds have been 100% superb. The best part is the success of seed saving I've had over the years. I know I can always depend on reliable future crops with these guys, unlike most other companys. The wait tends to be a little long, but if you plan for it, you will be thrilled.
Positive Jeanthebean
January 5, 2005
I came online today to look up the seed company "Seeds Blum" This led me to Dave's Garden websight (first time here) I also found This:

As far as my experience in the past with Seeds Blum: I do not recall having any bad experiences with them.
Perhaps my orders were before any trouble started.

The catalogs, (one in particular) helped me get my act together as far as organizing and planning my garden was concerned.

I have been away from gardening for a couple of years due to an injury and hope to be back at it this coming season. I am sorry to hear that Seeds Blum is no longer in business.
Positive sunnybritefarm
Naalehu, HI
April 15, 2004
Before Seeds Blum disappeared I made many orders with them. I loved the variety of unusual items they offered and was always happy with the results. Sadly it appears that Jan Blum as disappeared from public. I hope that she someday returns. Her seed project was extremely interesting for gardeners and a great help for many.
Positive aletaanne
January 27, 2004
I ordered seeds/beans from Seeds Blum back in the late 80's/early 90's, and they were very successful. As I recall, I grew heirloom beans and heirloom tomato plants. When I have a larger garden of my own that I can use for vegetables, I will definitely give them another try. I also enjoyed their catalog, which was full of anticdotes and nice stories.
Negative MadrasBee
July 8, 2003
I purchased seeds from Seeds Blum when living in Colorado in the mid to late 80ís. The first several orders came with no problem. The last order, placed some ten years later, was partially filled. There was an initial attempt to get the rest of the order. However, I soon discovered via Internet, other customers were having similar problems. It appeared to be futile to waste time or money to pursue the matter The last mailing received was her 1999 catalog. It should have been saved for the entertainment and educational value it supplied. How unfortunate for all of us to lose such a unique seed company.
Positive weezer
May 8, 2003
Seeds Blum, Where Are You?
I ordered from them several times. The seeds were excellent, the price was excellent and the service was fast. SO??????? Also had some unusual varieties of seeds.
Seeds also kept well for years in a ziplock bag.
Hope they surface again!
Neutral hillfarm
Quesnel, BC (Zone 4a)
December 29, 2002
I too have had mixed luck with Seeds Blum. Yes, this is (or was!) a legitimate business. I made a large order in 1994 and got it promptly plus bonus seeds. Next year order never came; I had paid by money order (I'm in Canada by the way) and was unable to find out if it had cleared. Seeds Blum replaced missing order upon notification, I don't know what happened to the first lot of seeds. The third year I waited in vain for catalogue, assuming that I would be on customer list. Finally sent the $5 Us (about $7.50 Cdn funds) for the catalogue as I had seen this noted in an advertisement previously. I never did hear from them again. A shame, as seed selection was wonderful, catalogue attractive, philosophy good. Assumed at the time that problems had to do with the fact that I was in Canada and Seeds Blum in US, though this has NEVER been an issue with other US seed companies I have dealt with. So who knows. In too deep/victims of own success perhaps ? Still no excuse for bad PR - a form letter or something would have been appreciated. I have often thought of requesting another catalogue but reading comments I guess I'd better save my money.
Positive somewhat
December 1, 2001
I ordered from Seeds Blum. They said they would be slow. I was patient and was rewarded with quality seeds and even some extras much to my surprise.
Positive WillowPolson
Groveland, CA (Zone 8b)
December 1, 2001
I was a customer of Seeds Blum in about 1992, and got excellent service from her at that time. The next year's catalog said that she wasn't advertising any longer because she simply couldn't handle the volume of orders. After reading the numerous complaints on your website, which sadden me greatly, I can only assume that Jan is in completely over her head at this point and has not hired any help to get the orders out. I can only guess that her labor of love is something she can't bear to discontinue, but can't fulfill customer needs either. She is not a fraud; she is just one woman trying to do far too much. I can vouch for her service of 10 years ago at any rate, and the best tomatoes I've ever grown.
Negative Esoeth
February 1, 2001
I am a master gardener, last home on 5 garden tours, I love to garden and have ordered a lot, I ordered $12 dollars from Seeds Blum. They cashed my check and I never saw a seed, I wrote, called and complained to no avail, cannot believe they are still in business, I complained to better business bureau as have others.
Negative EricWalker
April 1, 2000
We too have had grief with Seeds Blum, and we were just trying to get hold of someone to place an order; I guess we're lucky that we didn't succeed!
Negative Jsinger
February 1, 2000
On more than one occasion, the delivery of seeds or tubers was so late that I forgot I had ordered them, went elsewhere, purchased and planted them, before Blum Seeds arrived. I doubt if I'll order from them again.
Negative kenlefsaker
Grangeville, ID
January 1, 2000
I ordered seeds from Seeds Blum several times. They do have a good selection but like all the other comments I read, the catalog got here late and the seeds arrived a little late. I always received my order but there were always some substitutes. Seems like they are too small accompany to handle the business. I do order from them if I want a certain variety that I can't find anywhere else. So far, they are the only ones I've found that carry Imur Prior Beta tomatoes.
Negative margaretbonner
October 15, 1999
My experience with Seeds Blum is exactly that of others. I placed my order along with my credit card number in late spring or early summer. Received nothing all summer. E-mailed the company inquiring about my order, but received no answer. Called and got the recorded message; left a message--no response. I received my seeds about two weeks ago--beginning of October. My sense of this company is that they feel they are doing consumers a favor and they have no obligation to live up to good business practices. I'm really disappointed because their philosophy is so attractive.
Negative nancyolson
July 1, 1999
I have been trying to obtain a catalog from Seeds Blum since November 1998. I sent them $5.00 for a "First Class" subscription which was supposed to have been mailed out to me in one week. This is July 1999 and after many complaints, I have received nothing. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Southwest Idaho. Forget this seed company.
Negative andreamorris
May 1, 1999
I ordered seeds from Seeds Blum by sending a filled out, downloaded form and a check in January of this year. They cashed my check immediately, but I was instructed to wait up to 6 weeks for my order, which never came. When I tried to email and call them in March, the email site was turned off and the phone message box was perpetually full. The phone is never answered. When I went online to look for more information, I found similar complaints voiced by others who had lost money to Seeds Blum. It's a hoax website. Better take them off your list.[update 6/1999]I still think most of my comments are accurate and they're relevant to your posting site. However, I have just (yes that's right, it's June now) received my seeds. I can't do anything with them- maybe next year. But the website no longer appears to be a "hoax", or a front for nothing, because some enterprise exists. Although claims of 6 week delivery are false, and by the looks of other postings at your site, they must know it, even though they continue to advertise as such.
Negative Nrecy
May 1, 1999
I had the following experience with Seeds Blum. I sent in my $3 for the catalog. I got a call back promptly saying they were out of catalogs (last year) and I would be receiving a 1999 catalog when they were available. I haven't gotten a 1999 catalog or my money back yet even after repeated e-mails, letters and leaving messages on their answering machine. It's probably just as well since if they won't send a catalog or refund my $3, they would probably keep the money I would send for seeds (theft by mail-order)! I definitely don't recommend shopping at Seeds Blum
Negative gayleenadkins
April 1, 1999
In September, 1998 I ordered seeds from Seeds Blum (enough for 8 people for 3 years) at a cost of $430.00 I was promised delivery in 5-6 weeks. The day before Thanksgiving I emailed them because still no seeds. Two weeks went by with no answer so I emailed them again. They still did not answer but I got busy with Christmas and so just put them on the back burner. The first week in Jan 99, I emailed them again and this time told them that I was going to file a complaint with their better business bureau and Attorney general as well as begin posting on the internet about their lack of concern for their customers. This finally brought a response from them, a very nice sounding letter promising that my order would be shipped in about 3 weeks and all about the problems they were having getting their seeds packaged, and how they didn't mind "SHARING" their seeds with others but weren't willing to give up their life style of gardening to do so.They were so very busy they didn't have time to answer their email. Okay, so I held off filing any charges against them, and what happened? Still no seeds. By now I am furious so I email them again the first week of February and tell them to cancel my order! Two days after I told them I was canceling, they ran my credit card. It is now March 11, I have just received last months bank statement and there was the charge!! BUYER PLEASE BEWARE, THESE PEOPLE ARE CROOKS FROM THE WORD GO! THEY CANNOT AND SHOULD NOT BE TRUSTED, I STILL HAVE NO SEEDS! [update 1/2000] Last March I posted comments to this site about my ongoing battle with seeds blum to get back the $430.00 that they charged against my cardafter I had canceled my order. I had waited from the fall of 1998 until February 1999 for an order of seeds which I had been promised at the time of purchase would be shipped in 5 or 6 weeks. After may unanswered emails and phone calls left with their answering service I finally wrote them and called them canceling my order, only to have them charge my card 3 days later for the $430.00. Well I have been calling and writing to them since last Feb. trying to get this resolved and would you believe that when I opened my Nov. 1999 bank statement they had charged my card for ANOTHER $430.00! Of course all attempts to reach them by email and phone have been in vain, so now I am in the process of suing them for credit card fraud. Iam sure that Jan Blum thought that the charge would not be noticed with all of the confusion and buying at Christmas time. I called herimmediately and left a message explaining what had happened and telling her I MUST talk with her immediately, but it is now Jan, the 30th 2000 and not one single word from her!
Negative juliemwillin
April 1, 1999
In January 1998 I placed a large order (seed packets only) with Seeds Blum because I liked the company's philosophy and that they were only 600 miles away. I too had trouble talking to anybody who knew anything or could do anything, even though it had been 3 months since I placed by order. I was promised by Jan Blum herself that things would be made right immediately, only to wait another 3 months to get my order. Meanwhile I had contacted the Attorney General of Idaho and found out Seeds Blum had 84 complaints against them!The order arrived too late to plant anything, and they sent me a $25 credit for my "troubles" and a $25 refund check. The check bounced because the account was closed. Of course, nobody answered the phone. Their bank told me how to get the check through, even though they verified that the account was closed. The replacement check bounced too. Meanwhile, Seeds Blum had sent a letter to the Attorney General that I was happy with my situation! After many phone calls and letters to the Atty. General and the company, they finally honored the $25 credit they had sent me. And all this took only 9 months. Seeds Blum's explanations: they live too far from town to pick up certified mail at the P.O. more than once a month (the AG said they are in the sticks, but not that far) and that there had been a family problem. And they never once apologized. I would leave this as a comment on their website, but I'd probably be sued. My advice: stay away and buy open-pollinated and/or heirloom seeds from Abundant Life.
Negative hehardiman
April 1, 1999
I ordered seed potatoes from these people and haven't been able to get in contact with them for weeks. I have emailed, called and written several times with no response. I ordered on line and gave them my credit card number to pay for the potatoes. Haven't seen any charges on the statement yet but if they dare try to bill me I will definitely press charges for fraud. STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE!!
Negative phillipshepard
December 1, 1996
I'm a very unhappy ex-customer of Seeds Blum! You can receive a catalogue within a week, contents looks great. When product will arrivea sad different situation. The phone order desk is answering service not a direct line to Seeds Blum. Before I placed an order, I asked how long would it take to receive an order. Yes I told them where I lived; an order would take less then two weeks. To my surprise, one month went by no order. Calling customer service, be prepared to leave a message! Once a week for another month messages were delivered to customer service (just wanting someone to call me back, to find out when my order will be send out). I once received a person at phone order desk promising someone would call me back, NO SUCH LUCK. Third month called customer service and phone order desk (leave a messaage number) to cancel my order including three garden books. AGAIN NO PHONE CALL BACK! Two and a half weeks later I received a partial order and billing for books I never received. Another call made to customer service, another phone call not returned. I found out about Seed Blum through Sunset magazine before I became a website user. All gardeners stay away!
Neutral EllenPolzien
August 1, 1995
The catalog is very fun to read, and the variety of vegetables is great. One problem, though. At least in my case, the catalogs arrive much too SLOWLY - I tend to get the spring catalog far past the time in spring when I need to start long-season tomatoes and peppers (I live in the upper Midwest), and I just got a catalog supplement showcasing potatoes and sunchokes the first week of July -- again, far too late for my region. They really need to get their act together re shipping their marketing materials!