The scoop on 'Uncle Jim's Worm Farm'

Uncle Jim's Worm Farm

RD #1, Box #1537 Lehman Road
Spring Grove, Pennsylvania 17362 (United States)

Phone: 1-800-373-0555

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive hermitry1
Blairsden, CA
February 9, 2014
I had a great experience buying from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm. The customer service was excellent. We got a generous batch of beautiful, healthy worms. Would definitely recommend.
Positive kd2acu
Troy, PA
December 12, 2013
Posted on December 9, 2013, updated December 12, 2013
Posted on December 9, 2013, updated December 9, 2013
Posted on November 25, 2013, updated December 9, 2013
Ordered 2000 worms, heard nothing, sent email, and got response that worms were sent already, got package said 500 worms called Jim said my mistake I will replace, a week go by nothing I called again and he finally sent me replacement another 500. Never got the other 1000 or a refund he said I was trying to rip him off.. Poor customer service...
On December 9th, 2013, kd2acu added the following:

After leaving first comment, Jim Shaw sent me a message on here saying he wanted to refund the money and send me worms to make this right. I provided the info via PM on this site as well as his "personal" email he sent me, I have yet to hear back from him... This is the same response I had with my order that was screwed up offer to fix then no further communications. If he does correct the issue I will be happy to change my comments and rating.
On December 9th, 2013, kd2acu changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

Jim contacted me this evening to tell me they have had internet issues he is going to send the worms to correct the issues. Will post update once done
On December 12th, 2013, kd2acu changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Uncle Jim made it right, after 2 years... He sent me replacement order free of charge, 2000 European Nightcrawlers arrived today in great shape. Thank you!
Positive kfox514
Lillington, NC
June 20, 2013
I ordered 2000 red wiglers from Uncle Jims and a week later they seem to be doing fine. This is my first time doing this and so far it's going well. They were quick responding to emails for me.

The only problem I had with the UJ experience is that there was no confirmation email explaining the process and approximately when I would receive the worms. An auto response email could be easily applied.

Other than that it's been a good experience.
Neutral chelsee
Rohnert Park, CA
April 5, 2013
Jim's emailed me within the day when I sent question to them.

My comment is in regard to red worms.com. I chose this company over Jim's because of this site.....wrong...wrong..wrong. Everything I read negative on this site double for redworms.com. This company is located in NC and since I placed my order they have ignored all emails re my not receiving my worms as promised. Terrible company...this is the company that should have site telling people not to buy from them!
Charles
Positive MeMaNana
Walton, KY
April 5, 2013
I had a bit of trouble with the website, since I first ordered 1000 Red Wrigglers, then after the fact, I tried to change the order to 2000. I could not get the order to go through on the website, so I contacted Jim and told him I would send the payment direct through PayPal. When my order arrived the following week, it's label read "1000 Reds." So, I contacted Jim again and he said he would ship the additional worms the following Monday. We had some unusually cold weather the following week, and my worms arrived dead. I contacted Jim again and he apologized and sent me another shipment. He emailed me several times to let me know when the shipment would arrive and sent it with extra special packaging. The worms were thriving when they arrived! Jim was a complete gentleman through the entire process. I have never experienced better service. I highly recommend "Uncle Jim's Worm Farm"!
Positive georgehayen
Salem, OR
February 23, 2013
So very happy with UJWF.
How kind and thoughtful.
I recently ordered a 5000 ct red worms.(and free shipping)
At the same time I tried unsuccessfully to add a double order of super worms (1000 $39.99)
But wanted them shipped together with the free shipping.
The ordering system is fixed in place with ship cost specific for each item, so order kept adding shipping.
I just then, ordered the 5000 RW's with free ship.

I did then add a comment to the order that I would have liked to have added the super worms :( but not the shipping.
Well I got my worm order as scheduled, alive and well.
But to my suprize, they also sent the 1000 super worms.
I e-mailed UJ and told him of the error and needed to pay for them, but was told not to worry about it.
I was compelled to let folks know that Uncle Jims WF
does good business and even when offered payment, just let it go.
I will reccomend UJ's to everyone.
And of course will do just that.
Positive hairyjo
Danville, CA
January 1, 2013
I was very happy with the worms I received a month or more ago. They are living happily in my composter!
Negative lalkrebs
Troy, MI
December 26, 2012
The worst experience of online ordering in years. Condescending attitude and no acceptance of responsibility for a extremely delayed shipment. "what world do I live on" was the answer to a shipment that took 8 days while the shipping cost was for a 1 to 3 day delivery.
Very arrogant, in this day of "customer service for a sale" this was appalling.
Negative NifferinCanada
Toronto
December 12, 2012
I too am Canadian, was allowed to go right through the ordering & payment process without notification that Uncle Jim does not ship to Canada. I have sent a couple of emails, the 1st one asking when I could expect delivery & the second email was sent once I discovered I would NOT be receiving my shipment due to the fact I live in Canada. I have not received a reply to let me know when my visa will be reimbursed.
I really believe this company should specify on their web site & order form that online orders/shipments are only for the U.S.

Please "Uncle Jim" at least be fair & reimburse my money so I don't incur unnecessary interest on my credit card.
Patiently waiting for a response from you,
Jennifer Pressley
Negative alexanderslade
Edmonton
November 20, 2012
I am very unhappy with the service I receiving from this company. I placed an order online for a vermicomposter and compost worms. I was able to proceed through the checkout process without problems only to find out on this forum that this company does not ship to Canada. My credit card was charged immediately and my emails regarding this order have been ignored. Uncle Jim's has had my money for over a month and there is no refund in sight. Very poor customer service.
Positive melissainiowa
Des Moines, IA
September 28, 2012
I ordered 500 Red Wiggler about two months ago. They arrived on time. I can't attest to the exact number of worms that showed up in the bag but it didn't seem like 500. I really wasn't concerned about it though because I realize this is an approximation rather than an exact count. We had one of the hottest summers this year with temperatues frequently in the high 90's to mid 100's and the worms show up alive. They were very sluggish and small (probably due to the material they were shipped in) but I dropped them into their new bedding and they quickly disappeared into their new environment. After a month and half I noticed cacoons and small worms in my bins so they appear to be doing very well. I am pleased with my worm purchase. I would order again but given how fast my worms seem to be reproducing, I don't know that I will have a need.
Positive Betsytex
Geneva, FL
September 19, 2012
I ordered worms from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm and they arrived in my mailbox 46 hours after they were shipped...alive and VERY wiggly! Uncle Jim's is in Pennsylvania and we are in Florida. I expected to receive them in about 4 days so I was thrilled to get them so fast.

I didn't count them (I just can't imagine anyone ever would!) but there were LOTS and LOTS of very happy worms that are now in my Worm Factory. Now if I can care for them as well as Uncle Jim, I'll be doing great.
Positive GHughes
Delmar, DE
June 3, 2012
I ordered 2,000 Red Wigglers and 500 Mealworms from Uncle Jim's. I received my order a week ahead of when I initially thought! I placed my order on a Monday night and Uncle Jim only ships out on Monday mornings (to avoid being hung up in the mail on weekends). The following Monday was Memorial Day. With post offices being closed for a federal holiday, I figured on the order being shipped out on June 4th and arriving June 6th. To my surprise, I received an email from Uncle Jim on May 28th with a link to track the shipping progress. My order arrived on Wed., May 30th!

Besides me being happy about the early arrival of my order, the worms were very much alive. The Mealworms settled into their new home right away. The Red Wigglers are just starting to settle in. The bar is set high, as per a YouTube video; Uncle Jim treats his worms well, but they settled in eventually!

All in all, I am very pleased with this company. All of these negative reviews made me worry for nothing! I will be conducting business with this company again, when the need arises (can never have 'too many' worms!). Thank You Uncle Jim!
Neutral whatagarden
Mount Washington, KY
May 3, 2012
I\'ve ordered a worm composter as well as a stainless steel compost crock with Uncle Jims- The prices were great as well as the service. I give the transactions a A+ Rating for sure!

Thanks!

Note from the Garden Watchdog editors...

It is the policy of the Watchdog that vendors may not publish reviews for themselves in order to manipulate their rating. The rating of this comment was written by the company\'s representative, who posed as numerous other customers. Therefore, these reviews have been changed from a positive to neutral rating so they will not affect the overall ratings given by customers.
Neutral coldgarden
Evansville, IN
April 20, 2012
Have had a good working relationship with these folks for several years. I\'m a gardener that takes what I do seriously and composting is a big part of that. Uncle Jims answers their phone and will offer advise and help when needed. I appreciate that.

Negative PurpleJ3nn
Port Colborne
April 13, 2012
I ordered 2000 Red wrigglers from Uncle Jim's.
NO WHERE on the site did it say anything about not being able to ship to Canada. I WAS able to input Canada as the mailing destination.
After 2 weeks of waiting, I used their contact form to ask what was going on. The response:

"HI Jennifer, unfortunately, we are unable to ship to CAnada. I apologize for the inconvenience. I issued a full refund for the order. Thanks, Jim"

So, now I wait to get the refund.
You would think that they would offer shipping to Canada, as I had bought their largest amount of red wrigglers, and planned on buying more. Oh well, I guess our money is no good to them.

Company representative comment on April 29, 2012:
On Apr 29, 2012 1:44 PM, Uncle Jim's Worm Farm responded with:

Jennifer,

I am sorry we do not ship to Canada- They shopping- cart should not have allowed it. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Jim

Positive lindseybrown13
Levelland, TX
April 10, 2012
Recieved my order of 1000 Red Wiggler Worms only two days after completing online order! Awesome! Spoke to Uncle Jim's on the phone before order arrived and they told me instructions to follow when I received my worms, and also told me that instructions would be in the package. Received worms, all seemed very active. Placed them in keyhole garden as per instructions (on a VERY windy West Texas day, however) and majority of worms did not survive. Sadly, I called Uncle Jim's and they readily offered to ship another order that I expect to receive tomorrow. I strongly believe that it wasn't Uncle Jim's fault that so many of the worms died, but MINE for introducing them to their new environment on such a windy day. Regardless, this company was completely willing to replace the order. How can you beat customer service like that?!?! Highly recommend.
Neutral rolf713
Houston, TX
March 16, 2012
Very excited to get started with my project of composting! This company has served me also very well. Every thing came alive and ready to go. My worms are now living the high life in my composter. I would recommend this company!

Positive terrydad
Richmond, VA
March 10, 2012
Positive is what my experience was ordering from these folks. they answer the phone and will help with any questions. Its amazing that people are willing to tear a companies reputation down just because a live product perished in the mail system. It happens, its a risk of ordering worms through the mail - This company stands by their product and will resend free of charge it this unfortunate event takes place.
Neutral compostingworms
Ackworth, IA
March 1, 2012
My worms arrived and I am very satisfied with them! They were a huge ball of wriggler worms. I thought they\'d be beat up and dried out from the trip but it wasn\'t it case. Once I added these worms to my compost pile and placed a wet newspaper over them- they all dissipated within hours.

This company stands by their products and their service . I will be ordering more worms in several months.

Negative xxveilsidexx
Flushing, MI
February 29, 2012
I ordered 1lb of european nightcrawlers back in mid january but didnt get them until Feb. 20th.(And I only recieved HALF of my order) Uncle Jim did not do ANY customer follow up to make sure that the worms arrived safely or even arrived at all. If uncle jim actually knew ANYTHING about marketing he would take advantage of this opportunity to generate repeat purchases(which would cost him less in the long run). This guy boasts about being featured on Oprah Winfrey, and being in business for 40 years yet he still cant seem to meet the basic needs of customers.Then again Oprah Winfrey has promoted liars and plagiarists (James frey) on her show so I dont think that exactly gives him any credibility. On the bright side.. I cant wait to start my farm and chip away at his customer base.Maybe then he'll take his business and the people who support him more seriously.

Neutral david777
Belen, NM
February 23, 2012
Two green thumbs up! Called and asked some questions - Ordered my composting worms and they arrived alive and well within a week. I am pleased with this company and the customer service they have provided the gardening community.

Neutral jenniferjeff
Buffalo, NY
February 17, 2012
Alive and Well! My worms are happy and healthy eating alot of leftover greens in my compost bin. I am very pleased with the service the company has provided me. I choose this provider because they have been around for over 30 years and had a 1-800 number to call if any issues arose. Most of the other internet worm farms seem to be fly by night companies with no phone numbers and no history,

It amazes me that it is now possible to get on the internet and order live compost worms and have them show up alive via mail order!

Neutral abraham777
Dallas, TX
February 12, 2012
I rate my customer experience with a positive one for 2 reasons. 1st- I have very little knowledge of vermicomposting and they provided a phone number and help at the other end. When I called I talked to a person and had all my simple questions answers in a very polite manner. They were enthusiastic about my project and gave me ideas on what to do and what not to do.

The 2nd reason was the price and service- The price was the best on the internet and the service was great- I got my worms with several says. I ordered on a Friday and my worms were sent Monday- I got them Wednesday.

Neutral jrbear00
Olathe, KS
February 10, 2012
Ordered a bag of 500 European Nightcrawlers- They arrived in perfect condition. They make a great fishing worms. I am pleased and can recommend this company and the service they are providing.

Neutral tomtom123
Hialeah, FL
February 9, 2012
Right on. I am pleased with the product and the service. I ordered a Worm Factory and Worms- They sent the Worm Factory first and I received that- I called about my worms and was told they delayed the worms several days to ensure the Worm factory came first- Within a few days my worms showed up USPS Priority Mail. They were fine even shipped in the winter- Everything\'s been going good for a few weeks now!

Neutral wormgarden1
Blackhawk-Camino Tassajara, CA
February 7, 2012
I give this company a 5 star rating- I ordered 2000 Red Worms for my compost on a Thursday- I called to see when it was to be shipped- I was informed that they only ship live products on Mondays via USPS Priority mail and to expect my shipment about mid-week. I got my worms on Wednesday and boy are they great! these worms were shipped in the winter months and still came in fine shape. I added them to my indoor composting unit and they have been doing their job- Eating my food trash and junk mail !

Neutral david650225
Rowland Heights, CA
February 6, 2012
My worms arrived 3 days ago. My worms were alive and healthy. But many did try to escape my worm farm the first night! Luckily, I happened to go out to show my husband my worms when he got home from work and stop the escape. I was added more damp newspaper as a barrier. I also was informed for the first 24 hours the worms may need a light over top of them to force them into their new environment.

Neutral fatmolly650225
Kendale Lakes, FL
February 3, 2012
My experience ordering composting worms couldn\'t have gone better. !

I was very surprised at the big ball of wriggly worms that showed up. They were promptly added to my to compost and are now getting the job done! I did have hesitance ordering composting worms via mail order as I heard it could be hit or miss. Uncle Jims has proven that this type of product can be shipped through the mail.

Neutral WormMan777
Chicago, IL
February 2, 2012
I ordered 2000 Red Worms- They came in just healthy and fine. The worms are now loving life in my compost heap!

Neutral fungarden451
Houston, TX
February 1, 2012
I have a very positive experience doing gardening business with Uncle Jims Worm Farm- I am new the composting and had several questions. I found their company and called their 1-800 number. Jeff a company rep answered all my questions about how many worms to get- how to apply the worms to my compost pile and keep them feed and at the right moisture level. After I placed my order which was a Thursdays - I was told my order would be shipped the following Monday to try to keep any shipments from getting delayed on a freight-dock over a weekend. My order came in on Wednesday via USPS Priority mail. I applied the worms as directed to and have been have such a fun time such watching these worms eat and eat!

Neutral Wormslippers
Los Angeles, CA
January 25, 2012
I got my order of 2000 Red worms from Uncle Jims Worm Farm just fine. They were shipped in a breathable bag along with clear instructions on how to apply them to your compost pile.

I feel composting with worms makes compost a much more fun and exciting endeavor- It really keep you interested in collecting food scraps and grass clippings and adding them often to your pile as these worms almost become like pets!.

Negative Donk11
Hillandale, MD
January 23, 2012
I ordered a worm composter, 2,000 worms and a soil cube maker. They never provided a follow up email to identify date of shipping, Transit number or anything. A week later I called and they told me my composter would be delivered on Friday and that the worms would be shipped the following Tuesday (Monday was a holiday). The composter came as they said.
A week later, I called again and they said that the worms had been shipped on Tuesday and I should get them in the next day or so. On Friday I called again and got the same information that the worms had been shipped on Tuesday. On Monday, still no worms, so I called again. This time I was told that the worms were being shipped that day. I asked if I could come up and pick them up since I lived reasonably close by. They said no. So now I am waiting for my worms and soil blocker. It has been 3 weeks and will probably take another 3 days, I will never buy from this supplier again. They talk on their associates webpage about building a brand name and then they can charge more, but in my book, their brand has litttle value.
Neutral MasterWorm
Vero Beach, FL
January 21, 2012
These worm are a great composting product, and worth the price. I\'ve been at it for a couple of years now and it is great to watch the worms at work. If you have young kids, I would highly recommend this.

I\'ve ordered from Uncle Jims Worm Farm for several years now and can honestly say they are a real friendly company. Most \"Worm Farms\" are just drop shippers and they all seem to fold within a year or two.

Negative alexispaulg
Tryon, NC
January 11, 2012
I ordered 2000 meal worms on December 19th and was told they were 1-2 day delivery. After calling them every other days and half the time no one picking up. about a week ago i was told a new shipment had been sent because the other was lost in the mail. its is now January 11th 2012 and i have NOT got them yet. No reply to my emails or voicemails this place is CRAP and i want my money back!
Positive annieok
Hall Park, OK
December 29, 2011
I ordered them, they arrived fine. I don't know that I saw 2k worms but there were enough for my rubbermaid totes. They looked healthy enough. Quick delivery.
Positive SteveOrg
Unionville, NC
December 13, 2011
I ordered from Uncle Jim on Wednesday, I received an e-mail letting me know that the order would be shipped the following Monday, Tuesday afternoon I got home from work and there was my order (I used standard shipping) I immediately opened the package and followed the simple directions. After picking the appropriate sites for my worms I placed them in my yard and the worms began tunneling into the ground, I went back to the 2 sites I had placed the Super Reds about 15 minutes later and all the worms had disappeared into the soil. Very, very satisfied. I live in North Carolina and we have hard clay, although I have been using organic fertilizers and soil amendments for 3 years now, so my soil is a bit more porous than most. I was extremely satisfied. I placed a double order (1,000 super reds) and they came in 2 bags (front and back yard) very happy, I didn't count to see if I'd gotten exactly 1,000 since I have a life, but there were a lot of worms and everyone of them survived.
Positive TNR5683
Cortez, CO
December 3, 2011
I spent several weeks researching worm composting and the different products out there before purchasing my own "worm farm". I came across Uncle Jim's website. Being new to this, I had sent several emails to Jim with questions on the products he was selling on his website. Every reply from him was quick, concise and very helpful. I eventually purchased the Worm Factory 360 and worms from the Uncle Jim's website. As I expected, the factory came separately from the worms. When the worms arrived, it had been over the Thanksgiving weekend and they was a one day delay before I could get them. Some had died, but not all of them. That was on a Friday. On the following Monday Jim had already sent another batch of worms to me. They arrived a couple days later and were just fine! This company, and Jim, have been nothing short of friendly, helpful and quick to reply. I would definitely recommend this company!
Negative moe146
Amherstburg
August 12, 2011
I ordered vermipods back in June. After several weeks, I contacted them..no answer. I tried again, through their website. He emailed me saying he was very concerned about it.

Many more weeks pass. It is now August. Still no order received. No shipping verification. No response to further emails asking why.

Seems orders and emails get lost into a black hole. Very bad customer service.

I'm still out $25. I have demanded my money back.
Negative demoderby116
Waverly, TN
August 4, 2011
I have been raising worms for some time now without a hitch. I recently decided to order five pounds of red wigglers from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm. There first mistake was shipping when the weather was in the upper 90's. When the worms arrived they looked rough but most of them were alive. Got them cooled down and put in a small bin with good moisture and the same kind of bedding that I have used for a long time. Two days later they started dieing very quickly. The PH level of the soil was good, the temp was perfect and the moisture was perfect. Not only did they die but my other worms started quickly dieing. Now we are in a panic trying to save worms that I have been raising for 8 years. It now looks as if we will have to start from scratch. What ever was wrong with these worms has spread to all of them. E-mails and messages have gone ignored. I am out $100.00 and 8 years of work. Thanks Uncle Jim.