The scoop on 'Santa Rosa Gardens'

Santa Rosa Gardens

Santa Rosa Gardens has 1020 products listed in PlantScout.

Green Star: Good Santa Rosa Gardens is a Watchdog 30 company. Green Star: Good

Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562 (United States)

Phone: 1-866-681-0856

» Like them on Facebook

Company Comment, posted on May 1, 2008:
Santa Rosa Gardens is a family owned and operated business. Our love for plants shows in our quality and customer service. We stand behind every sale with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.

If you have any questions or concerns about your plants, please donít hesitate to contact us at our Toll Free number:
1-866-681-0856.

Happy gardening!

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive clematisclem
Ypsilanti, MI
July 13, 2017
Santa Rosa Gardens, you have a new loyal customer! I've ordered many plants from a good number of companies over the years. Your shipment may have been the best of all. The Purple Love Grass and pink muhly grass I ordered from your was meticulously, neatly packed with safety for the plant being the first consideration. The plants were green and in good condition. The shipment included clear, helpful directions for easing the plants' transition to their new home. You took pains to secure each one of my grasses in its own little net bag and snug cardboard space. All he way from Florida to Michigan, arriving in great condition!

Your website is clear and informative as well. I have to say, you've blown me out of the water with your attractive, easy-to-use website, your excellent plants and your very careful and mindful shipping. You can bet your liatris aspera I will be ordering more excellent plants from your company! THANK YOU for your top-notch plants and practices! Hooray for Santa Rosa Gardens! --Laura B.
Positive Mid12nt
Stone Mountain, GA
June 18, 2017
2017 was my first year ordering from Santa Rosa Gardens, and it was a very positive experience. I definitely plan on buying from them again. The prices were reasonable, the selection great, and all the plants I ordered (mostly ornamental grasses) arrived in fantastic shape. I am a very happy customer.
Positive dcmay
Greenwich, CT
June 17, 2017
An excellent online nursery ... large selection of perennials, succulents, houseplants and more. Fair pricing and healthy plants. Expedite and helpful responses from customer service... I am a very happy customer!
Positive 67gt500
Federal Heights, CO
June 15, 2017
I purchased a Banana tree from Santa Rosa gardens ( Ensete Maurelii ) plant arrived well packaged and in very health shape. Great service. I will buy from them again.🌱
Positive jenmulvey
Blauvelt, NY
May 28, 2017
My order arrived yesterday. Santa Rosa Gardens did a wonderful job wrapping and packing all of the plants. I've never seen anything arrive so perfectly! I've ordered from numerous places and try to stick to Connecticut as closer. The plants are hanging out on the deck and I'm going to start planting now.

Note, they have the new white Peacock White phlox that Fine Gardening raved about? David phlox may be a "proven winner" but bombs in my beds 3 times and gave up on it.

I had additional questions about location for 2 of the plants in my order and received a prompt response over Memorial Day weekend?!! Santa Rosa rocks!

5*****++
Neutral linuxbob
Wichita, KS
May 27, 2017
In March of this year I ordered a dozen Echinacea plants for April shipping. My order shipped as expected and arrived on time. I have ordered from SRG every year for several years and to give credit where it's due, they've always treated me well. However, their packaging leaves a LOT to be desired. As another reviewer stated, SRG uses a mesh netting around each plant which does nothing to prevent the potting mix from coming out during shipping even though each plant is wrapped in paper too. All of my plants had lost a good amount of soil and many had broken leaves. A few had lost so much soil that the plant was almost completely out of the pot. 4 plants were in such poor condition that I requested and received replacement plants. Even then one of the replacement plants quality was in very poor shape that I asked for and received a refund. If that wasn't enough, half of the original plants root system was way under developed and probably shouldn't have been sold for at least several more weeks. Previous year's orders have also been missing soil and had broken stems but at least the plants had better root systems and could survive the rough handling compared to this year's plants. I suggested that they look into different packaging methods. It's not likely that they will change because I made that suggestion in previous years and they still use the same material and method. I'm giving this review a neutral rating since SRG customer service is among the best. I will continue to order from them knowing that if I have a problem I can count on them to make it right.
Neutral KrautThistle
(Zone 7a)
May 26, 2017
After happening upon the Santa Rosa Gardens website and reading the positive reviews on DG here, decided to put an order in for some plants. Received my order on the 19th and waited a week before commenting here in order to give the plants extra time to recover lest I react prematurely. Well the week has passed and where do I begin? For starers, I'm usually not one to complain about finding soil in a shipping box, plants being a bit out of sorts, yellowing leaves, or minor broken stems as these things do happen at times. It shouldn't, but it does. Such is the nature of shipping live plants - but there is a big difference between damages related to shipping and damages that occur due to poor growing conditions or improper handling. Some plants can take the abuse and bounce back, others not so much. It is up to the recipient to be an educated consumer/gardener and to act accordingly.

The most pressing and obvious issues with my order were brought immediately to SRG attention in an email (I prefer email over phone when dealing with situations as such for legal purposes) and after 3 days of filing my complaint, they graciously gave me a refund for the 2 plants I complained about, no questions asked. Also, although the above ground portions of many of the plants I ordered were in very rough shape, most of their root systems were healthy and extensive, with the exception of the ones I will elaborate upon below...

To start, the box my plants arrived in showed no outward damage. Kudos for that. Upon opening said box was a different story. The first thing I noticed was the soil all over the inside. Not an issue for me, but I will mention it since other posters here have also said it happened to them. In my case, almost every plant was missing soil, some more than others, even though each plant was carefully wrapped in special netting. Kind of a shock since SRG prides itself on its special packaging for each plant which is supposed to minimize such. Unwrapped each plant to discover a few of them had been jostled out of their pots leaving some of their roots exposed as well as broken stems and torn leaves. Not good, but the stems and leaves on said plants will grow back in time and I was able to get to the exposed roots before they desiccated. The sedum I received as a free gift from SRG after 2 of the plants in my order were out of stock was completely mangled, with almost all of its soil thrown out of its pot and most of its stems and leaves broken off. And yes, this plant was also wrapped in this special netting which obviously did nothing to protect it. Very disappointing but I have not bothered to file a complaint with SRG about the sedum being it was free and therefore not sure I should but again, it bears mentioning just the same. Like most people, I appreciate the kind gesture of a free gift, but if that gift arrives mangled and unusable, how is that a gift to the recipient?

All of the plants in my order had been grossly overwatered, to the point where one of them, the Japanese Forest Grass, were showing visible signs of root rot right out of the box. The entire bottom portion of the grass is brown and mushy. Not sure it even has a chance of surviving. This I did file a complaint with SRG about as SRG requests on all orders. The Musa Basjoo plant they sent me is completely crooked to one side! Wish I could post pictures. There is no way this crook was something that happened due to its being packaged and shipped during its 3 day transit from SRG to my home. This was an issue going on with this plant since it was a pup being the crook started low on the corm where the new pseudostem emerges, not higher up on the plant as would be evident in a plant that was packaged incorrectly. In this same order was an impressively sized baby Ensete Maurelli which is also crooked, but not as severely as the Basjoo. Not a big deal on the Ensete, but the Basjoo's crook is so bad the plant is now forever compromised and will not be able to properly support itself without splitting at some point should it reach maturity. Obviously the individual(s) responsible for growing these musa did not take care of them properly to ensure they weren't overcrowded & received proper light. Had they done so, these musa would not have grown crooked from the start. The fact that SRG thought it was appropriate to send me these crooked plants to begin with, not to mention sending a plant like the Japanese Forest Grass that had obvious signs of root rot prior to shipping, is disconcerting. This is something that was going on with these plants while under SRG's care as it is physically impossible for such to happen within a shipping span of 3 days unless the plants were in poor condition to begin with. What I found especially disheartening is the fact I did not even receive an apology from anyone from SRG for this incident. Being a first time customer, I am not happy at all and am loathe to recommend SRG to anyone looking for plants. In over 40 years of gardening, I have never received plants in such sloppy condition. I've ordered from numerous places over the years, with bigger orders and larger plants traveling longer distances, and have never experienced anything quite like this. What a huge disappointment. I was so hoping to be a repeat customer of SRG since they do have a nice variety of plants and excellent prices but after this ordeal do not feel comfortable nor confident enough to bother again.
Positive pugetblooms
Port Orchard, WA
May 17, 2017
Santa Rosa Gardens was great to work with. I originally got overexcited and ordered two bargain boxes, one perennial and one shade, and two other plants but quickly remembered that I need to prep our shade garden area before ordering shade plants. I emailed them and woke up the next day to a response and confirmation of cancelling the order for the shade garden box and a timeline of when to expect my plants. As promised, they arrived on time and we immediately opened the box. Everything was as snug as could be, healthy, with established root systems potted in rich moist soil. The only complaint about packaging is that we ordered an Elephant Ears plant that was taller than the box used that was forced in there so one of the two leaves were broken and had to be pruned away. Other than that, it was quick and easy to work with them and they had a lot of varieties that we were looking for. Oh yeah! We're in Washington State and the plants were STILL moist even though they came all the way from Florida!
Neutral Bigfeet
Los Alamos, NM
May 1, 2017
Ordering online was easy, shipping was reasonably quick. I emailed them prior to ordering, apparently they have a distribution center in Denver (not open to public), but my plants were shipped from Florida.
Plants arrived healthy looking, in tiny pots and pruned to a few stems about 2" wide and 12-14" tall. I would have preferred to get short, bushy plants with large root mass..
About 75% of the plants, all hardy to my climate, are alive almost a year later. There are still 2-3 I am uncertain make it. I called SRG about the dead plants, and they happily gave me a store credit that is about 50 cents more than the shipping cost, so pretty pointless.
I would not recommend SRG unless you are local to them in Florida.
Positive DonnaMack
Posted on May 30, 2015, updated May 11, 2016
Posted on April 25, 2013, updated May 30, 2015
Posted on March 29, 2013, updated April 25, 2013
Posted on March 29, 2013, updated March 29, 2013
I ordered from Santa Rosa based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback, but my personal experience was very disappointing. I ordered two alchemilla mollis from their half price sale last fall, and received very tiny, rather wornout plants. I had to put tags on them so I could find them, they were so tiny. I have been gardening since 1996, so I know how to install plants.I though that I would wait for spring, but they have shown no development at all, so I have ordered plants from another company.

I should add that evry single plant I ordered from other companies, however small, performed for me.
On March 29th, 2013, DonnaMack changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I received a very gracious email from Ms. Jude Groninger of Santa Rosa Gardens. She seemed genuinely concerned, and offered me a ship date of April 22 for the replacement plants.

I am changing my rating to neutral, and if this attention is any indication, I am in hopes of changing my rating to positive.
On April 25th, 2013, DonnaMack changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I received replacement plants, plus a gift, and I must say that the alchemilla mollis are amongst the finest I have ever received - beautiful, large, and well packaged. Just excellent.
On May 30th, 2015, DonnaMack added the following:

I must give credit where credit is due. I have ordered several grasses from Santa Rosa this year: calamagrostis acutifolia, calamagrostis brachtitryca, miscanthus \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'Morning Light\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'. All have been excellent.
On May 11th, 2016, DonnaMack added the following:

Wow, A+ this year. I fell in love with dwarf plumbago, ordered six and got these perfect gems. They are so gorgeous, I can\\\\\\\'t believe they were hauled around the country. I ordered a third calamagrostis bractitryca to go with the two I purchased last year. I don\\\\\\\'t know how they do it., but they do it very well, and I scan their lists every year for additions to my garden.
On May 18th, 2016, DonnaMack added the following:

I just realized, as I was planting my plumbagos from Santa Rosa, that I paid for six, and got 7!
On June 16th, 2016, DonnaMack added the following:

I have garden clients and some of them rely upon me for plant recommendations and suppliers. Of course, I want to impress them. I needed a trio of geranium biokovo, eragrostis spectabilis and plumbago - nine plants in all. I bought them all at deep discount - my client expressed concern. Won\'t they be duds?

The plants were all beautiful. The eragrostis was the best I have ever seen - heck, they were better than mine. I was so pleased because it reflects on me, but it also demonstrates the very high quality of the plant material from this company.
On April 28th, 2017, DonnaMack added the following:

Received another beautiful order from Santa Rosa Gardens. Gorgeous alchemilla auslese and lavenders. The lavenders were MUCH bigger than I expected. I saw them in my local, very high quality (and expensive) nursery, and these are better.

But I would like to add how much I appreciated getting an email from Ms.Groninger because my aralia 'Sun King' plants are delayed until May. Unlike another company I recently criticized, she wrote:

We apologize that we were unable to supply your order in its entirety. As we say in the nursery business: "We can grow all of the plants some of the time, some of the plants all of the time, but we canít grow all of the plants all of the time.Ē We thank you for your understanding.

Please let us know prior to shipping beginning on Monday if you would like to choose a substitute plant, keep an item on backorder, or if you would prefer to just cancel a part of your order."

That's the way to do it! Of course, I'll wait for two more weeks. And this is why, as a manager of several private gardens, I point my clients to Santa Rosa Gardens. Wonderful plants, service, and in these days - courtesy and consideration.

Positive blondedonna12
Jacksonville, NC
April 24, 2017
I have ordered from this company several times in the past, and I've always been happy with how the company carefully packages each and every plant you order from them. If you have a plant that ends up not surviving the growing season, just contact customer service and they will easily send a replacement without a hassle. I unfortunately had to do that once, but it wasn't because the plant was bad, it was more I think because I had planted in an area that the flowers weren't suitable for. Santa Rosa's prices and sales are honestly some of the best I have seen online. They sometimes offer deals, and plant selections, that are far better than what can be found at your local Lowe's or Walmart stores. I highly recommend people try this company!!!
Positive ChrissieY
Cary, NC
April 19, 2017
Posted on April 15, 2017, updated April 19, 2017
Posted on April 10, 2017, updated April 15, 2017
I recently moved to NC and am a novice on gardening so this comment may not have the best wordings and viewpoints. Now that I get the disclaimer out of the way, here\\\'s my review on Santa Rosa Gardens:

Their service on the ease of ordering and communication were good. The price and selections were good. What made me go ahead and ordered a bunch of plants from them was actually the vast positive reviews from various comments. However I am giving them \\\"Neutral\\\" because so,e of my plants arrived looking sad. I received a shipping notification on Tuesday and received the order on Friday (FL to NC, I thought it would be quicker than that on Fedex.) Almost all the plants were loose even though the were wrapped/sleeved individually - lots of soil were detached so the plants were loose in the pot. I planted them all on the same day and hoping they will pick up.†

Well, today is Day 3 (Monday) and more than 10 plants were looking happier than Friday including 4 Heucheras. Sadly there are still a few plants that weren\\\'t returning to their healthy state. Interestingly the weeping ones are those one of the pair I ordered - I purchased 2 Ascot Rainbow, 2 Baptisia (blue false indigo), 2 violet creeping Phlox, 2 Lamium Beacon Silver, and 1 of each mentioned pairs appear to remain wilting since Friday. I do find it strange as I planted each pair at the same area next to each other (same amount of water/sun/air... etc.).

Although I was disappointed at the packing and the few wilting plants, the rest of the plants do seem to adapt without issues so far. Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed and will allow another 4 days hoping they will all be happy in my garden eventually. I will update the review after that.
On April 15th, 2017, ChrissieY added the following:

04/15/2017 update: it\'s now been a week and one of Ascot Rainbow is pretty much dead, although the other Ascot Rainbow has picked up and looking well. 2 Baptisia - blue false indigo, remain standing although still not looking the happiest but there\'s hope. The rest of the order (15 plants) are looking good. I have contacted the sales as suggested by their representative and am waiting for their response. Hope to have the next update with good news to report.
On April 19th, 2017, ChrissieY changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

03/19/2017 update: SRG has responded and offered solutions on the wilting plants. I found them very easy and pleasant to deal with and consequently I have ordered a few more plants knowing I will be satisfied with their products and service. I will recommend and continue to order from SRG of those I couldn't find in the local nurseries.
Company representative comment on April 10, 2017:
On Apr 10, 2017 5:37 PM, Santa Rosa Gardens responded with:

Thank you for your feedback and comments. Our apologies for the poor shipping that occurred with your order. Please know that the condition of your plants arrival is not the normal for Santa Rosa Gardens. Please give sales a call and we can note the problem and help you with any plant issues that arise. We guarantee all of our plants and stand behind their performance, so we hope that we can win your trust back!

Positive cwalke
Longview, WA (Zone 8b)
April 17, 2017
Posted on April 17, 2017, updated April 17, 2017
Posted on October 17, 2011, updated April 17, 2017
Posted on October 17, 2011, updated October 17, 2011
Posted on October 3, 2011, updated October 17, 2011
I ordered several echinaceas and some grasses from Santa Rosa last month and they arrived healthy and larger than expected for mail order. Packed well. I was very pleased with this company and feel more hopeful that these late season plants will get through their first winter.
On October 17th, 2011, cwalke added the following:

17 October Well, I can\\\'t seem to stay off Santa Rosa\\\'s website...I\\\'ve made 2 more orders since the first one. This nursery has an excellent selection of native plants and especially grasses, of which I\\\'m quite fond. Sale prices are excellent and plants are good sized and healthy. This is my new favorite online nursery:)
On October 17th, 2011, cwalke added the following:

On April 17th, 2017, cwalke changed the rating from positive to neutral and added the following:

I have ordered from SRG for several years now. This last order (this spring) however, was somewhat disappointing. As some others have mentioned recently, the plants that arrived were mostly out of their pots with dirt falling all around the box. They have also started using some new fabric type wrap rather than the net bags to protect the plants but I found this new product a hassle to remove from the pots. Finally the plants themselves were markedly smaller than those I have become accustomed to receiving from Santa Rosa and were sort of smashed down by shipping or packing or something. I have planted all of them after giving them a day or two to recover.
My last order, made last fall was also a bit on the small and weakly side but I decided that, given the great experiences I\'ve had with Santa Rosa, one adverse experience wasn\'t that bad. I still feel that way but I do hope that they will maintain the standards that have made them such a popular company.
On April 17th, 2017, cwalke changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

Positive plumtree11
Basking Ridge, NJ
March 27, 2017
Received my hellebores; very happy with the purchase. Big healthy plants at great prices, safely packaged, shipped as scheduled.
Will order again!
Positive Viton60
Lakewood, NJ
March 23, 2017
Beautiful plants for a great price. Arrived as promised, super healthy with excellent root systems. If there was one negative it would have to be the packing method. While the plants were all sleeved to prevent physical damage there was nothing to hold the soil in the pots. When I opened the box there was loose soil all over the place. All 5 plants were falling out of their pots to some degree with roots exposed.That being said I think they will be fine as they were sturdy plants to begin with. I would definitely order again.
Positive carolmo
Olathe, KS (Zone 5a)
November 2, 2016
Posted on October 21, 2016, updated November 2, 2016
Posted on October 11, 2012, updated October 21, 2016
Just received 15 sale plants. Wow! Best packaging I have ever seen. Beautiful plants. Received free gaura plant. Will order again.
On October 21st, 2016, carolmo added the following:

10/21/16 Just received 6 more plants from their fall sale - prices unreal - so low. Packaged very well to protect the plants. Picked up a Cantaloupe Echinacea for my daughter who admired the one I already had - it has an opening flower bud on it - wow. Also got for me - 2 plants that I had before but lost - dianthus baths pink, hosta stained glass and 2 new ones - penstemon carillo rose, sedum lime twister. I read their directions, removed paper, removed netting from the bottom, replaced any lost soil, watered them and placed in shade overnight - will plant in tubs tomorrow. Excellent company and great sale prices. Beautiful plants.
On November 2nd, 2016, carolmo added the following:

11/2/16 more plants - all beautiful - some with blooms - great packaging, great prices, fast shipping. This is a great company.
Positive 88griz
Malmstrom AFB, MT
June 24, 2016
Posted on June 22, 2011, updated June 24, 2016
Just a note to let you know that my Echinacea Harvest Moon perennials arrived today 06/22/11. I am VERY PLEASED with the healthy looking plants and with the short time that it took for them to arrive after they were shipped. I am also pleasantly surprised at the size of the plants. You will be high on my list next year when I want more plants.

On June 24th, 2016, 88griz added the following:

07/27/2016

It is a "no brainer" to order from this company. My plants were shipped on a Monday from Florida and arrived in Montana on Wed. You simply cannot beat their excellent service.

Also, there is never any question as to getting a replacement plant if that becomes necessary. Their communication department is outstanding. I always receive an immediate response to my questions or concerns.

This is the only company that I will ever order any plants that I need.

Thank you, Jude. You are the best!
Positive Deelewny
Hazlet, NJ
June 24, 2016
Order several times a year from here and never disappointed. If I have a question for Jude, she always finds time to respond. This year I needed plants for a new garden bed but I waited a bit too long and a lot of plants I needed were sold out, as that's how popular they are. Order early. Plants are nice and healthy. If you wait for their sales you won't believe what you are getting for the price, but like I said you may not get the specific plant you wanted/needed.
If you never tried Santa Rosa Gardens then just order a couple of plants and I bet you will be back again and again. If for some reason you aren't happy with the plants, they stand behind what they sell. As a matter of fact, I am getting ready for my Fall order.
Positive BJames1
Elizabeth City, NC (Zone 8a)
June 19, 2016
Posted on August 16, 2009, updated June 19, 2016
I love this company. Santa Rosa Gardens is great all-around: superb customer service, high quality plants, great shipping rates, guaranteed live-on-arrival, a wide assortment of varieties (especially grasses), and friendly and quick customer service. I have done business with them for several years and I look forward to ordering from them in the future. Actually, I can\'t wait!
On June 19th, 2016, BJames1 added the following:

A company I return to each year for making plant purchases. My only complaint is that plants have gotten a little smaller and packaging a little less secure.
Neutral Windflowers7
Brooklyn, NY
June 3, 2016
I am a long time customer of SRG, so I was a bit upset this year with a couple of things. First it seems they got rid of the usual big Memorial
Day weekend sale. They gave a 20% discount instead and didn't let you use any of there other discounts that us regulars know about and always use. So now that you order figuring they aren't going to have sale, but gave the discount instead, now it is a week later and everything is on sale. I can't believe they did that.
Second, they have a new policy where you order a plant they say they have in stock, but then they say they have run out and will send it you at a later date if you are ok with that. If you are, they bill you a second shipping fee! They never did that before! What happened to them this year? New owners, too big for their britches? I am so dissapointed. They are what makes on line plant buying fun. Now I am a bit weary and I never thought I would say that.Boo!

Company representative comment on June 3, 2016:
On Jun 3, 2016 9:30 PM, Santa Rosa Gardens responded with:

Hello Windflowers7,

I am one of the family owners and was the original founder of Santa Rosa Gardens, in 1998. Our ownership has not changed and our goals remain, as always, to provide our customers with the best customer service, success in their gardens, and to share our love for plants.

We're very sorry that you did not have as pleasant an experience with Santa Rosa Gardens as you have in the past. I assure you, we have not changed our family ownership or our commitment to serving our customers the best that we are able.

I'd like to make sure I address your concerns, so I'll give you the best answers I can to your comments.

Our Memorial Day Sale:
The Memorial weekend sale was quite similar to the Memorial Day Sale we have offered nearly every year. Last year, we offered a sale with several options:
30% off $149 or more
25% off $99 or more
20% off $79 or more
and 15% off $59 or more

This year, we opted to make it simpler and ran a 25% off coupon for all sized orders. Note: We never allow multiple coupon codes with discounts of this size.

Summer Clearance:
Every year since waaay back, we have offered a summer clearance sale. It occurs once our plant inventory drops below a certain level. It occurs typically in very early June. In 2014, it was June 11. In 2015, it was June 6. This year, in 2016, it was June 3. The sale usually includes all items still in stock that have new scheduled production that requires us to free up greenhouse space.

Side note: I have to say, in walking through the greenhouses on Saturday, the quality of material we are putting on clearance is very good!

Split Shipping:
When it comes to shipping, we have always tried to be the better supplier with the better rates and the better packaging. We work hard to keep your shipping costs as low as possible, but still aim to provide excellent packaging and delivery in 2 to 3 days - tops! We will not ship 4 (or more) day deliveries like some companies and we do not ship plant via slower USPS like some companies. Many online suppliers will also select the shipping date for the customer. This will usually be the date when ALL of the material is ready to go. Then and only then will they ship the order. At Santa Rosa Gardens, we've always felt that the customer should select their own ship week and be in control of their planting schedule. With plant orders that are typically small - often just a few plants, we simply can't ship multiple orders for one shipping fee or we'd soon be out of business. Rather than make customers wait until all plants are ready, we offer as many options as possible. In the event that the customer still wants to break the order up into different ship dates, we request a $7.99 split shipment fee. This fee does not cover our entire additional shipping expense, but it does make it easier for us to provide this service to our customers.

I can't emphasize enough how much Santa Rosa Gardens values loyal customers such as yourself. We have worked hard over the years to provide the best selections, great packaging, and still keep our prices lower than our online competition. Feedback from our customers is vital and we do appreciate it! And we appreciate you!

As always, happy gardening!

Positive nlhannamd
White Oak, MD
May 15, 2016
I've been ordering from this nursery since 2012 and have been very happy. The packaging has always been top-rate and the plants, good quality. Sometimes the plants are on the small side but the website is clear that almost all plants come in a 4-inch pot so I know that now.
Positive GardenRanger
Lynchburg, VA
May 6, 2016
1st experience ordering from this vendor.

Ordered 5 "Blue Bayou" cortaderia that are difficult to locate here in central Virginia. All good.

The plugs are healthy, large... very well grown. Grasses arrived in a timely manner and were securely... beautifully packaged.

Very happy with them. Shall be ordering from this vendor again in the near future.
Positive jdlcav
Huntsville, AL
May 3, 2016
I have placed several orders with Santa Rosa Gardens. The selection is excellent. If it turned out that something was not available, I was told right away and given the option of replacing it with something else or obtaining a refund. In each instance, the order was promptly delivered. Most importantly, everything I planted has come up looking great. I really like this company and highly recommend it.
Positive GStickler
Marshallville, GA (Zone 8a)
April 21, 2016
Ordered some coneflowers as well as Pink Muhly grass. Plants came quickly, were securely packaged, identified, and in good shape.

Being listed on Dave's Garden Watchdog Top 30 says it all, and they deserve it. I'll be back often.

Positive jheisser
Fairland, IN
April 17, 2016
I ordered 2 Tiarella plants this year and several plants last year. All the plants were in excellent health and of the expected size. My only complaint is that their otherwise good packaging makes no provision for keeping the soil in the pot. As a result the plant could slip out of the pot and/or the roots dry out.
Positive mrickett
Lawrenceville, GA
April 12, 2016
I ordered seven perennials from Santa Rosa Gardens. They are beautiful plants! The foliage is dense and the root system is well formed without being pot bound. I was impressed with how well they were prepared for shipping. I have received plants from other vendors where all the soil had fallen out of the pots and the plants were damaged. These were in excellent condition. There was netting around each individual plant as well as paper. Also there was enough material added to the box to prevent the plants from being tossed around during shipping. Santa Rosa Gardens is now at the top of my list for mail order plants.
Positive DavidLMo
St Joseph, MO
October 16, 2015
Posted on October 17, 2014, updated October 16, 2015
Best packaging I have ever seen and I have internet purchased plants from over 50 vendors.

And their Fall Sale prices are GREAT! Great value, great selection, great delivery and packaging.

Highly recommended and WILL return again.
On October 16th, 2015, DavidLMo added the following:

Looking for Awesome rating .... :-) Email to the company today:

You folks are awesome!!

I received Order 88184 today which was a replacement for Order 87918 which I had just received a week ago today. On the earlier order, I was concerned as to whether the plants would even make it. One was in particularly bad shape. They were received bone dry and all the soil had fallen out of the pots. I called
just Monday of this week.

The replacement plants are MUCH better than those I originally received. They look great --- EVEN though, they too were received bone dry and most of the soil
was not in the pots.

I have given you highly rated evaluations on the net at sites I WILL continue doing so as you guys are great. Quality is good, prices are reasonable and customer service is some of the best I have ever encountered.

Order 87918 was my third order with you and I am so happy, I may place yet another order in the next few days.
Positive Shaken
Scottdale, PA
October 15, 2015
This, along with 3 orders from other online nurseries, were my first online plant orders. The largest was from Santa Rosa Gardens and with 3 of 4 orders received, these are the nicest. All of the 25 plants I ordered are beautiful. The packaging was first class.

A few of the plants in a package I ordered weren't in stock but a quick email resolved that. All the questions I had were responded to very quickly. Will definitely be ordering from them again.
Positive Carolinaflower8
Greensboro, NC (Zone 7b)
October 12, 2015
I was nervous about ordering live plants online, as I had never done that before. My experience was AWESOME. I ordered during a sale and still received a % off code for signing up for emails. One plant was not available when it came time to ship (I had ordered some time in advance), but I was offered very acceptable alternatives. Emails are nearly always answered very quickly (and always so if I have a true question--I do tend to be a bit chatty).

The plants arrived looking great, except for perhaps one. I called with a question and received an immediate answer. I did not expect anything to really bloom or grow much this year, but three of my six plants did bloom. They all grew at least somewhat (and some more than that), which is great considering they are first year perennials (and we had a a very rough NC summer). One plant did not do well and ended up dying. I emailed to ask if it would potentially come back in the spring. My response was an apology and an order for a replacement plant (plus an extra free one of something I ordered previously). That tells me this company really does stand behind their plants!

I cannot say enough good things about this company--great plants, great customer service, personal service, and coupons. I just put in another large order for spring 2016, and I am excited!!
Positive smcatl
Atlanta, GA
August 8, 2015
Santa Rosa Gardens is extraordinary. Their customer service is prompt, their packaging is great, their shipping is precise and prompt. Everything I've ever ordered from them has thrived, far outstripping plants I've ordered from other mail order nurseries. Even the clearance plants I ordered and planted in mid-July (in Atlanta, no less) perked right up and look great now. I may stop ordering from anybody else!
Positive 1lolita1
Elgin, IL
July 20, 2015
Highly recommend this nursery. Good prices and excellent sales prices. Plants arrived in stretchy mesh sleeves that held them all in their pots nicely, and then each was wrapped in several layers of brown paper for added support. And the paper had vents for air circulation. Excellent communication, even though I was confused and probably aggravated the beans out of them lol! They emailed me a discount coupon to cover the difference of a pricey plant that went on sale right after I bought it, but I felt it was only fair to decline it since by that time they were probably ready to scream from frustration with me lol! (As an added plus, I ended up with a whole bunch of mesh sleeves that I can use to bag my bar soaps. I usually use the netting from bags of fruit, it makes a great exfoliator & quickly produces tons of suds. But these are so much more sturdy & a bit softer. And of course, I used the brown paper as a weed barrier when I planted my new babies. Probably the most usefull packing I've ever run across!)
Positive randibear
Deerfield, MA
June 26, 2015
I ordered 35 perennial plants on 6/23/15 and received them on 6/26/15 all in perfect condition. Each plant was meticulously placed in a heavy net covering and then was wrapped in heavy cushioned brown paper and came damp. Plants on the bottom were as perfect as the ones on top. I got these on sale at a great deal and they were substantial plants They came in 3 1/2 inch square pots with plenty of soil which the netting keeps in the pots. I would highly recommend this company for plants as their size is decent and their shipping method is very protective and prevents damage in shipping. Very, very happy. Thanks! Randi

Positive GreyMamma
Fairport, NY
June 11, 2015
I've ordered and have been very pleased with Santa Rosa in the past. This last order I did have a problem however. The plants were very wet, (I was told they had dealt with a lot of rain which was true and forgivable), and one plant was suffering terribly. It had lost most leaves and what was left were yellow. They were very quick to offer a replacement and even sent a free gift plant as well. The replacement and gift plant were in very good shape. The Bell Flower was even in bloom. Not the largest plants I've received from them, (although the two lewisias were larger than my local nurseries offered and beautiful!) but I'm very pleased. I'll definitely order from them again.
Negative Sequoiadendron4
Lititz, PA (Zone 6b)
June 2, 2015
My first purchase from Santa Rosa in spring of 2014 was fine. No issues, so I decided to buy more items this spring. My order came and most of the plants were bone dry. The plants were poorly packaged as well. That combined with the bone dry soil and probably rough handling by the shipping service caused one of the plants to come out of its pot and dump most of the soil out in the box. Luckily, this plant was an echinacea and they can handle abuse. I repotted it and soaked the plants over night in a tub of water. All of them made it. I took a pic and sent them an email about it but no one ever got back to me. There are several other nurseries with a better selection and better packaging than this retailer. I don't really see a reason to purchase from them again.
Company representative comment on June 2, 2015:
On Jun 2, 2015 9:09 AM, Santa Rosa Gardens responded with:

I apologize for any issues you had with your shipment and assure you that we will correct those problems. Please be sure to check your junk mail and add Santa Rosa Gardens to your 'safe senders list'. It would be very unusual for your shipping complaint to be overlooked. From your description, it sounds like the plants received less than normal shipping care in transit. 'Bone dry' and 'out of the pots' usually suggest that the plants sat in a hot truck for an extended period, and the box was mishandled along the way. Please give us a call and we will absolutely correct any issues with the shipment and send replacement plants as needed. We hope you give us an opportunity to prove you wrong regarding our packaging. We're quite proud of our methods and our success rate. Thank you.

Positive Wiesendangen
Blairstown, NJ
June 1, 2015
Love this company! Great costumer relations person, always answers email promptly. I have ordered from them several times, plants always arrived in good shape and took in my garden. If the plants are small, they are held back with a notification. My favorite thing however is the Bargain Box! Never yet failed to delight me.
Positive narina77
Blairstown, NJ
May 29, 2015
I placed two large orders on faith just by the positive reviews here and I was not dissapointed. Everything was large and healthy. I got their bargain boxes (shade and perennial) and they gave me very nice selections (chelone, heucheras, coreopsis, hibiscus, brunnera, hellebores and more that I can't recall right now). They have great coupons and free shipping for larger orders. As a result I have ordered hundreds of dollars worth since. Their prices are usually the cheapest and their plant sizes are bigger than other nurseries. I'm definitely a customer for life!
Positive whhdrsg
Wilmington, DE
May 11, 2015
My first order (found them on a garden blog "An Obsessive Neurotic Gardener") and can't say enough about this organization! The plants I ordered were very healthy, a good size, well packed and shipped. I was a little worried about the flat rate longer shipping (cheap me), but they arrived in virtually perfect condition. Careful unwrapping (love the stocking-netting!) and a little water and they are just fine, waiting for just a few more days to condition from Florida to Maine on the covered front porch . . . I WILL be ordering again!
Positive saradus
Maple Park, IL
April 30, 2015
I love Santa Rosa Gardens, so much! I've placed several orders with them over the past two years, some super large and some small. The plants are consistently healthy and well packaged. Santa Rosa Gardens also offers a wide variety of perennials and grasses, and frequently offers coupons and specials. I've been able to try many new plants because of the affordability. Super pleased! Would be delighted if they would start to offer more shrubs.
Negative esanita
TYASKIN, MD (Zone 7a)
April 23, 2015
I couldn't decide between neutral and negative. Today I received my first order from SR. The plants are great (large, healthy), and SR's prices are very good. The packaging, however, is the worst I've ever seen. Out of the 8 plants delivered, only 2 were still securely in their pots. The 3 agapanthus were all dumped out of their pots, with roots exposed. Another 3 had enough dirt dumped out that, while they were still in their pots, their roots were showing. The net sock over the plants does nothing to contain the soil. I don't know if I will order from them again.
Company representative comment on April 30, 2015:
On Apr 30, 2015 6:55 AM, Santa Rosa Gardens responded with:

Thank you for providing us with feedback. We do appreciate hearing back from customers regardless of the good news or bad.

If you look at comments from most of our customers, I think you'll find that we (1) work very hard to develop packing methods that are effective and secure (2) back them up with quick and responsive service to any issue.

With 3rd party shipping, there is one certainty: some boxes will take what we like to call 'abnormal treatment' during transit. It takes some doing to knock the plants loose from our wrapping method, but if that happens, the box and plants will likely become a mess. Fortunately, that does not occur often.

If you notified sales of the issue, I am sure that you were told that we would gladly replace any damaged plants. If you did not notify sales, I urge you to make that contact. We stand behind our products, even during the shipping process. Thank you.

Positive Stroudwater
Portland, ME
January 3, 2015
I have been ordering from Santa Rosa Gardens for 2 seasons thus far. I have always been pleased with the material they send, and with the packing, etc. I cannot always plant as soon as I receive material so sometimes I have to place seedlings in a sheltered spot (I use a lg. plastic windowbox)
in the shade on my patio. In my experience, these seedlings are tough and sturdy. Yes, sometimes the plant is small and sometimes the plant is root bound. But as an experienced gardener, I know what to do with them. I have a nursery bed for babies, and I simply trim down a root bound plant at planting and give it extra attention. Always great CS, and I save alot of money. Will continue to purchase from them.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Tour | Contact Us ]