The scoop on 'Urban Homestead'

Urban Homestead

818 Cumberland Street
Bristol, Virginia 24201 (United States)

Paper Catalog Cost: US$3.00

Comments:

Positive chilehed
Brighton, MI
July 17, 2011
I had read the article in Smithsonian about the Reasor Green, and called Tim because I was looking for some antique varieties. He spent 10 or 15 minutes with me on the phone, and shipped me a catalog with some selections highlighted.

I ordered five plants on dwarf rootstock, and very soon after I got the shipment, The plants were well packed and in good condition. One of the varieties I had ordered was out of stock, so he deducted the cost of that one PLUS threw in two other cultivars he thought I'd like!

Maybe two seasons later I called to tell him about how pleased I was with the plants, and mentioned in passing that one was growing awfully fast. He asked a few questions and concluded that that one must have been grafted onto a standard rootstock, and he offered to send me another one on dwarf in replacement! What a guy. There should be a way to give double-positive for people like Tim.
Positive laurashannon1
New Market, TN
June 8, 2011
we have been trusting tim to take care of our heritage apple (and other plants, such as blueberries) needs for many years now and his operation, knowledge, advice, and customer service are absolutely outstanding. we cannot sing his praises highly enough. if i couldn't get a certain variety from tim, i would forgo that one and get one he carries - - we drive almost two hours out of our way just to visit, collect new varieties, and seek his opinions.
Positive clusiana
Forest City, NC (Zone 7a)
December 28, 2010
I had used this company in about 2003 or before to plant trees in Amherst, VA. All survived and were doing great when I moved. I ordered and planted about 15 trees several years ago at our new home in Forest City, NC. Actually, we planted them just in time for a major drought in a place not accessible from our water supplies. I have to tell you that 10 of those trees are still alive! The ONLY thing going for these trees is that they had a good start.
Positive BBrandon77
Knoxville, TN (Zone 7a)
December 12, 2009
Even before I placed an order, Tim was happy to discuss different varieties with me and answer my questions. I placed an order for apple trees. My trees arrived promptly and were packed very well. After a season in the ground (after the normal warranty), I noticed what I think may have been crown rot on one of the trees. I believe the problem was likely present before I got the tree. I contacted Tim and was told that a replacement was not immediately available and was offered my choice of a number of substitutes. I really wanted the variety I ordered and didn't place an order for a replacement. The following year (a few days ago), Tim contacted me! He told me that the variety I originally ordered was now available. I got my tree yesterday and planted it this morning.

It impressed me that this company follows through so well. Customer service has been very good, and I would recommend this company for for your next order!

Positive VirginiaHokie
Wytheville, VA
April 26, 2007
I ordered 45 apple trees, and picked them up at Urban Homestead. Tim Hensley spent several hours in the evening with me, educating me on various aspects of fruit tree care, and proudly gave me a tour of his nursery. He was very patient with me and I never felt 'rushed', even though several of his young children were anxious to spend time with their father. All of the trees that I purchased from him, [did I mention that I also walked away with several pear and sweet cherry varieties?], are growing vigorously, and appear to be quite healthy. I am very satisfied with my purchases, and will gladly 'do business' with him again.
Positive krbaylor
December 25, 2002
I purchased three 2-yr antique apple trees from them in November 2002. They arrived at my house a week and a half later, just as promised. They were in terrific condition. I will definately do business with this company again. RB--Arlington, VA
On December 25th, 2002, krbaylor added the following:

They do not have a web site, but have an excellent catalog well worth the three dollars. The company specializes in old Southern apple trees, with about 100 varieties available. The owner wrote an fascinating article about his nursery experiences with his antique apple hunt in the November 2002 Smithsonian magazine.