The scoop on 'Fruit Lover's Nursery'

Fruit Lover's Nursery

Pahoa, Hawaii 96788 (United States)

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of plants.

Comments:

Positive FlyingFoxFruits
Apopka, FL (Zone 9a)
June 19, 2014
have been ordering from Oscar for years now. I've had excellent germination rates, and his selection is second to none. I highly recommend his nursery as a source for rare tropical fruit trees and seeds.
Positive Sanddollarmoon
Smithville, TN (Zone 7a)
June 19, 2014
I recently bought a five seed pack of araticum cortiša (Annona neosericea). Ten days later they arrived in a neat little package containing a clear plastic bag, along with germination instructions. One thing I had worried about is that the seeds would be dried, and therefore dead. Instead they were packed in a moist substrate, and germinated in just six weeks. I am satisfied with my order, and will definitely be ordering again soon!
Positive KarenRei
Iowa City, IA
August 8, 2013
Fruitlovers is a regular over on tropicalfruitforum.com, which is how I heard of his site. I had a rather tricky order timing-wise, in that the seeds had to make it to my parents place as close as possible to a specific date, but not over, as my parents were flying to meet me on that day and were to bring the seeds with. Fruitlovers pulled it off. The seeds were all professionally packaged and I've been getting good germination rates from them. He gets a positive rating in my book. :)
Positive TheNJBen
Old Bridge, NJ
October 13, 2006
Seeds were shipped fresh and when they said they would be available. They were well packaged and survived the trip from Hawaii to NJ in early fall. These were highly perishable seeds and gave me a 100% germination rate - 10 sprouts out of 10 seeds. While it is true that they are not cheap but with these people you definately get a high quality product and well worth the money.
Neutral tschofie
Salt Lake City, UT
October 29, 2005
About six months ago, in April, I ordered a mix of seeds and plants from Fruitlovers. I'll describe only the plant-related issues here.

There were some problems with the shipment. Fruitlovers was unable to send me all the plants I ordered -- they informed me of this after the shipment had been sent. Also, they delayed the shipment for a while (due to weather, which I appreciate) but then sent the package without informing me first. By the time I got the shipping notification, I couldn't rearrange my day to be home for the package delivery, which required my signature (this signature requirement was noted nowhere on Fruitlover's website or in their communications.)

So the plants got stuck at the post office overnight. I'm pretty sure this explains their condition -- some of the plants actually had crispy leaves. Make sure to pick your plants up on time! However, some of the plants' injuries were probably not the fault of my tardy pickup -- the mangosteen, for example, had their taproots truncated. This is very nearly a death sentence for mangosteen unless the grower is very experienced. As the plants were droopy-leaved as well, there really wasn't any way to save them, though I certainly tried!

The lychee which was sold as an established air-layer didn't seem to have grown roots outside the main ball at all, and no trace of actual dirt was evident (just the tight-packed moss that air-layers start in.)

When I emailed and described the problems I was having, the response was that since mangosteen are self-fertile, if I could get one to survive, I'd still have fruit. I was also told that the air-layered lychee really was well-established and to keep the humidity high. Neither communication helped much at all.

About a month ago, I asked for a refund for the plants and seeds that could not be shipped, plus the extra shipping cost I was charged for them. (Originally I asked them to keep a credit, as I hoped to find something else from Fruitlover's I wanted to purchase.) To my knowledge, the refund has not been provided (though it's possible their check may still be in the mail.)

Overall, not a particularly great experience. I know other people have had much better success, but I'm probably not going to be a repeat customer.

On January 8th, 2006, tschofie added the following:

EDIT: A month or so after I posted the above, I received a refund for the plant and seeds the company didn't ship. No refund was provided for the amount that was charged to me for shipping (for the items they didn't ship.) Go figure.
Positive RobynLacy
Sacramento, CA (Zone 10a)
January 1, 2003
Excellent company, all the tropical seeds that were sent to me in various orders were viable, even the ones that are only viable for a week. Quick, prompt and cheap shipping.
I continue to do business with these people.