The scoop on 'Direct Gardening'

Direct Gardening

1704 Morrissey Drive
Bloomington, Illinois 61704 (United States)

This company is affiliated with Burgess Seed

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative Clevance
Franklin, GA
July 13, 2016
Their customer service can be scandalously rude and they have a tendency to send dead plants and then treat you like dirt over the phone.

It will be the day after eternity before I order from them again.

Never again!
Company representative comment on July 19, 2016:
On Jul 19, 2016 11:55 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customerís experience as we do take pride in our customer care. A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help resolve this problem.

Negative Farm_Country
Steubenville, OH
June 27, 2016
Direct Gardening.com is possibly the WORST business we have ever seen! Me and my husband had been trying for 3 years to get several Northern Red Oak seedlings for our yard but kept having problems each year with our local nurseries not having them, Lowe's website saying that they have them in our local store but then after driving to Lowe's they told us they don't have them and not sure why the website says they do have them, and also tried Arbor Day Foundation which had very reasonable prices but they send you bare-root seedlings that are barely 12" tall and we weren't able to get any of them last past 1 year even after consulting our local nurseries and them confirming that we were doing everything they would do to take proper care of them.

Well after having no choice but to get these online, Direct Garden was one of the 1st sites that came up in our search results. So we read all of the descriptions and it clearly stated that their Red Oak seedlings are 3-4 feet tall and nowhere did it say or imply that they were bare root. When they arrived we immediately opened them and YES we were IMMEDIATELY DISGUSTED to see the following:

1) They stripped off ALL of the limbs before shipping them to us.

2) The tops of the seedlings were snapped off to make them fit into their shipping bag.

3) 1 of the seedlings was broke in 2 half way up the trunk and was not caused from the shipping process through usps.

4) We got out our tape measure and was lucky if ANY of the seedling was 2 feet tall but yet their web site stated they would be 3-4 feet tall.

5) They were COMPLETELY bare-root seedlings and didn't have ANY type of moist gel or whatever else to keep them moist.

6) Both trunk and roots were SO DRIED OUT that they had no flexibility and would snap off with little effort.

7) They hire other businesses to answer their calls thus you're not getting someone on the phone who has actual experience with gardening or the direct gardening website... the same person who answers your calls for direct gardening is the same person answering calls for a plumbing business that hired them as well.

8) Direct Gardening adopts a we-don't-give-a-crap-about-you return policy whereby if you receive a product not as described, they make you pay out of your pocket to ship back their gross negligence!

SUMMARY: It wasn't until after we got these seedlings and seen how CARELESSLY they treat their customers that we then did a search for reviews on this company and we were TOATALLY SHOCKED at the NUMEROUS NEGATIVE reviews and not just on one web site but ALL OVER THE INTERNET! So many negative reviews that ANYONE with common sense would demand to know how they are allowed to keep renewing their business license!
Company representative comment on July 13, 2016:
On Jul 13, 2016 10:21 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear this from a customer. Many of our items are shipped bare root and dormant as this allows them to be transplanted with much higher degrees of success. It does not mean they are dead, but since they are dormant, and not leafed out, people unfamiliar with bareroot nursery stock may they mistake them for dead. We suggest soaking in water overnight or for a few hours before planting. Then keep well watered after planting and within 6 weeks of warm weather, the plants should break dormancy and show signs of leaf.

We do understand that sometimes the mail system can cause damage to the plants. Which is why we do have both a refund and a replacement guarantee and stand behind them.

We do not hire another business to answer our calls and all of our customer service representatives are familiar with Direct Gardening.

A customer care representative has contacted this customer to see if we may be of assistance.

Positive Bohnzye
Lorain, OH
June 24, 2016
Hello, I purchased my home 3 years ago and started with a blank canvas.Today my neighbors are awestruck by the 3 season display of color and foliage thanks to direct gardening.They're nursery stock is beyond compare and have had tremendous success with my purchases.I buy confidently every spring from Direct Gardening because I know they're plants and flowers are true performers.Thankyou Direct Gardening..sincerely
Negative rosarasa
Pullman, WA
June 24, 2016
Like many other members, we got fooled by the low prices and placed an order with this company in May 2014. The order was for six roses and two double clematis plants. After six weeks or so, we received the plants by USPS mail. It is difficult to describe the shocking condition of the plants. Having ordered many plants from Jackson and Perkins and other rose vendors, we are used to ordering bare root roses. The bare root roses from direct gardening had barely any roots which is an entirely new interpretation of the name. Whatever there was had fungus on it and the stems had dried out. In short, the plants looked unhealthy. Any case, we planted the roses and the clematis and waited and waited. No signs of life. As per their stated money back guarantee, wrote to them in May 2015 and requested replacement. They did honor the guarantee and sent us the roses and clematis plants in June 2016. On receipt, the roses looked somewhat better than the first time. Again tiny roots in the name of clematis plants. We planted the roses and clematis as per the instructions. This time two of the rose plants did give out some leaves they did not look healthy. No life on the other four roses and no response whatsoever from the clematis. We again waited. Fast forwarding to 2016, the two roses have died over the winter and nothing from the clematis. Trusting their money back guarantee, we wrote to them again in May 2016. No reply or no response of any kind and no plants. In summary, we have wasted much time and effort over the last two years and quite a bit of money with this company with nothing but frustration to show for. Please read these reviews before ordering any roses or clematis from this company. You have been warned.
Positive willworkfordirt
May 24, 2016
Posted on May 24, 2016, updated May 24, 2016
I signed up here to post my defense of Direct Gardening after reading all the negative reviews that this company has gotten. I am actually surprised by this to be honest.

First off, I am in no way affiliated with Direct Gardening. I am just a satisfied customer since 2009. I have ordered from them several times already and they have always honored their side of the deal. Direct Gardening is a REPUTABLE company. I repeat Direct Gardening is a REPUTABLE company. I remember the first time I ordered my plants from them -- can\'t remember if it was online or via their mail catalog -- and I admit I was a bit leery. But my positive experience with the company, especially involving replacement plants, allayed any worries. The \"dead sticks\" some reviewers have received are not dead at all. They are just dormant or sleeping. So just plant them in the ground and water them per the accompanying instruction booklet. If they don\'t survive get replacements as discussed below.

Yes, with all my orders some of the plants did not make it and were eventually replaced by the company. The longest time it took to send me a replacement was over a year and a half, if memory serves, after placing my request, and it only happened one time involving a yellow tree peony (the peony replacement is blooming beautifully as of this writing with lemon yellow flowers). What I do notice is that the replacements they send are usually stronger, more vigorous, healthier than the original plants that didn\'t survive. I guess it\'s the company\'s way of minimizing a second disappointment for the customer. Right now, with my recent order, a red painted daisy did not live. The Bracken\'s Brown Beauty southern magnolia (it\'s cold hardy in zone 6) is a little iffy. Some of the tree samplers have not leafed out yet.

PLEASE do keep the packaging label when your plants are delivered; you will need it in time to obtain free replacement(s) under their guarantee policy, should the original plants not survive within a year. Just cut the affixed label from the (green) packaging bag and store it in a safe place where you will remember.

I will continue to be a loyal customer. Their plants are very reasonably priced. Bracken\'s Brown Beauty for $12.99 and shipped in a 2-inch pot with soil -- not everything is shipped bareroot btw but most are -- and TREE peonies (not herbaceous ones but herbaceous are nice too) starting at $24.99! Where do you find prices like these for such prized specimens? And for the price, their service is pretty decent and reliable.

My advice to everyone is just be patient with the company. It has ALWAYS come through, certainly in my case.
On May 24th, 2016, willworkfordirt added the following:

One more thing I like to add is that the plants sold by this company are always in stock as far as I can remember. I can't tell you the number of times I have been disappointed by other online vendors (I won't name them) when the plants I wanted were out of stock. To be assured that the plants you want is available for order is such a convenience.
Negative newsjunky
Boise, ID
May 15, 2016
First of all the pictures of these plants are misleading. In comparison to Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill nursery these plants and in particular the bulbs are much smaller. The company does not confirm your purchase with the requirements for replacing plants or getting a refund. You only have that information sent to you after you ask what happens when your credit card has been charged like lightning while they piddle around to get it sent. That information should have been made clear by a confirmation. They say the processing time for the plants is two weeks depending on weather and availability. Well the weather and availability was fine for the bulk of the order at Michigan Bulb and Spring Hill nursery. But for Direct Gardening and none of the plants were available for and entire month before I got them. One or two plants delayed is one thing but every plant took a month to get. Then they get here the plants are nearly dead. All of them! So while I baby these plants along of course they die. The prices are way too high for what you get. Then they want the original shipping label (I am presuming off the box which you must save for a year to see if the plants live which only took two days in my case). The shipping was paid by the customer to get the dead plants here then they want you to pay the shipping to send these dead plants and box back to them. They want to replace the flowers but why would I want a replacement that takes a month and then go through the same tender loving care to nurse these dead things until they die too. Even if they sent healthy plants it would take the summer to get them to take root. Then for a refund they only give you 14 days, again no problem charging the credit card and dinking around for a month to get them here and how do you know what these dinky bulbs will look like in 14 days. Then they don't respond until I reject the charge on my credit card. I do not think this is an honorable company and I will continue to complain and file reports with the attorney general's office to get them to change these ridiculous policies.
Company representative comment on May 18, 2016:
On May 18, 2016 12:42 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear this customer is having such difficulty. Our replacement guarantee is clearly posted on our site as well as on the order confirmation emailed to the customer. A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help resolve this problem.

Positive Dellia
Ona, WV
May 13, 2016
I ordered 2 weeping tree roses and when they didn't come after two weeks I started worrying and then read all the bad reviews. I was worried that I wouldn't receive them before Mothers Day because they were a present from my husband. The reviews said I would receive dead sticks and it would be a month or more before I got them. But...... I was thrilled to see the package on the porch the day before Mother's Day. I soaked them overnight and I planted them in big pots the next morning. That afternoon I started seeing leaf buds emerging. I was so happy. But apparently my dog loved them too because the day after I planted them my Husky tore one out of the pot and chewed it up. I was so mad. My husband told me to order a replacement So...... Now I'm patiently waiting for it. Good things come to those who wait. I will definitely do business with Direct Gardening in the future
Positive DrTrish
Denver, IN
May 9, 2016
I received both my orders this past Friday and was very pleased with both the quality of the plants and the way they were packaged for shipping. I have ordered from several online garden companies in the past 10 years and Direct Gardening had the most protective packaging for potted plants. About a month ago I sent an inquiry to customer service and received a prompt, friendly response. I will definitely use Direct Gardening in the future.
Negative REWnNC
Charlotte, NC (Zone 8a)
April 6, 2016
My response to their email. "Unfortunately, your warranty is no longer valid, therefore there is nothing we can do at this point. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

That is BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE I did as was told by waiting and planting only to have them ALL DIE. My MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN !!!! The 2 4.99 were used on new orders for things that arrived CRUSHED. The other plants just DIED after I planted as told. There is something you can do, supply LIVE plants in GOOD condition. The original plants did not appear alive when I received them, but I did as told and waited then the replacements arrived in poor/dead condition and again as i was told planted, now you tell me "We are sorry for the inconvenience. " Not inconvenience it was/is a waste of MY MONEY, so yes you could at least send me LIVE plants in GOOD condition, but you just DO NOT want to. ALMOST $200.00 GONE.

Not a Happy customer.
Positive jagrogan
Somerset, KY (Zone 6b)
March 25, 2016
I like, like, like this company.

I'll be frank - I couldn't afford to even dream of landscaping my yard at some of those premium nurseries prices so Direct Gardening is super nice.

The staff are very nice. Example I bought 66 English Lavender and 72 Creeping Phlox last July and I live in Zone 6b in Somerset, KY. Not a smart ideal because not only was Direct Gardening mostly depleted of their good lavender and creeping phlox stock but in Somerset, KY to plant those in the heat of the summer wasn't going to help the scraggly stock I got and to my surprise on a couple of the creeping phlox even stuck through it, none of the lavender did and I only even noticed one that looked like it might do so. So this January I sent them my shipping label and told them every one of the lavender and phlox did not make it. They wrote back for clarification and I told them it was true except for a few of the creeping phlox but that I would forget the creeping phlox as I was slow getting it planted but the lavender I planted first and hand pre-planted in good amended soil in pots while planting and still not a one survived. And so at the end of this February they sent me replacements for all that and I got them all in the ground within the week and most are greening up and looking nice so I'm looking forward to the growth. It is true that a few still look pretty bad as if they won't grow and I could kind of tell which ones wouldn't grow when I was planting them based on them looking like the lavender they sent me last year. The creeping phlox they sent me this year was green as opposed to the brown that they sent last July.

So unless it's a potted plant I would only recommend planting in spring.

I intend to in the next month order 8 dwarf fruit trees, some native nuts, English walnuts and almonds, and many other fruits & nuts this spring from them.

LOL, then I can just work on buying flowers on whims to landscape my yard. I would like to fill my entire lawn with crocuses but I realize that will be a project of many years and much work on my budget.
Negative MGiacomet
Richland, MI
March 16, 2016
Posted on June 18, 2015, updated March 16, 2016
DON\'T BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!

On April 24, 2015 I e-mailed them that they only sent 23 out of the 24 plants ordered and that I was supposed to have received 15-20\" plants and about half were barely 6 inches.

A week later I (bad mistake!) placed another order for 36 more plants. After the first plants started to die and they weren\'t being responsive with the replacements, I tried to cancel the second order. They dragged their feet on the cancellation until they eventually shipped (never processed my request to cancel the order)

By now, most of the plants are dead!

Haven\'t received any replacements yet despite multiple e-mails and having complied with ALL their strict \"policy\" requirements.

After many attempts to call them and getting busy signal, today I finally was able to talk to someone. All they can tell me is that the order is in \"processing\", but they can\'t tell what it means. They can\'t tell me when (or if) they\'ll ship replacements.

Shady business. Waste of money!
On March 16th, 2016, MGiacomet added the following:

After being told last year that I was going to receive replacements in Fall, they later told me it would be this Spring.

I received 45 replacements of the 60 replacements due. Seven of the replacement plans were AGAIN smaller than what they sold me (8-12 inch vs the 15-20 inch promised)

Contacted them again to send the other 15 and they claim "their records only show 45"... Here they are again with the same rigmarole about sending the original shipping labels (that I sent last year!) by mail.

DON'T BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!
Positive rschappa
Birmingham, AL
March 8, 2016
After reading negative and positive reviews about Direct Gardening online, I was talking with my mom about what they offered online and she ended up ordering two crimson maples from them last year. She said they arrived healthy and her experience with Customer Service was exceptional. With that said, I talked with my husband and placed a small order to see what we would be surprised with in the mail bag...the big plastic bag was filled with the plastic bags of plants we ordered...they arrived on a rainy day and so I proceeded to plant them in the spots recommended. I am not a patient person and planting helps me with that. I remembered that my mom sent us a bare root rose as a housewarming gift 13 years ago. It arrived looking like a dead stick. We planted it and 13 years later and two moves, it's still growing healthy and strong! Direct Gardening sells an amazing variety of plants I can not find locally and seriously not at these prices. I am watering and watching as my dormant "sticks" are now budding leaves...I encourage my children to help me nurture them to life so they can see how baby plants grow up to be the mature trees and rose bushes that bring us joy daily all around us. I will continue to purchase my plants through Direct Gardening...and I thank them for what they do! Happy Spring planting gardeners!
Positive lily22
Ashland, MA
February 23, 2016
Posted on June 19, 2014, updated February 23, 2016
Posted on April 9, 2012, updated June 19, 2014
Posted on June 15, 2011, updated April 9, 2012
Posted on May 31, 2011, updated June 15, 2011
Well today May 31 2011 i finally received my little 35$ order from direct gardening that i did on May 3 2011...
i was afraid with all the bad comments but decided to try a small one anyway to see.
i was surprise that the plants arrived in a plastic bag but after opening it and looking inside everything seems fine.. a lot of them had already buds and leaves and the ones that didn\'t don\'t look too bad... so I\'ve put them in water and I\'ll plant them tomorrow morning and see how they do. they are small but its OK, the prices are so good i didn\'t expect big ready to flower trees!!
my only deception was the mixed tree bargain, they are red maples, so I\'m gonna go and plant them in the wood...I thought i would get 6 different trees with at least a nice one in... but for 5$ i can\'t really be surprised...

so i just did another order twice bigger with roses this time, i guess ill receive them by the end of June.
I\'m keeping the bag with the receipt and the mail stamp if anything is wrong at the end of the summer ill just do what they recommend to get a replacement.
Its was an experiment and i can say that if you are a patient person and don\'t mind waiting for your plants to grow direct gardening is a good place to save money... my plants were ship from House of Wesley and I did my new order directly from them... ill let you all know if it is faster this time.

have fun in your gardens!!

On June 15th, 2011, lily22 added the following:

I\'ve receive the order, i placed on may 31th, on monday june 13. That was really fast.
Everything was in order except a few damages due to the transportation. I soaked all of the plants i\'ve received and planted some of them today.
They replace one of my roses by another one but with no id... so i wrote to the nice lady at the customer service who answered me a few hours later and giving the info i needed. So on the customer service I only have positive to say since she was really nice and fast to answer me and gave me reassurance on the plants guaranties if some of them dies.
Some of the plants are dormant but i\'m giving them a big 6 weeks before thinking they are dead, because most of them have nice roots and looks green .
If you want to save money and don\'t mind having small plant that might need a year or two to grow you should order from Direct Gardening. If you prefer to have big plants well you should shop at your local nursery and pay the full price.

I will order again from them when i\'m gonna need more plants.
On April 9th, 2012, lily22 added the following:

A month ago I\'ve send them a letter with my proof of purchase from last year to get a replacement for a few of the shrubs and plants that sadly never grew. They were really quick at sending the replacements and the plants they sent are really nice with good roots. The ones that did good last year seems to have a nice spring and are growing really well. I will order again since I\'m a patient person and I do like to watch my small plants grow and that I have what I\'m paying for. Except for the e-mail exchange from last year with the customer services I didn\'t have any other contacts with them, so as far as I know they are quick to answer and courteous. I had an overall good experience.
On June 19th, 2014, lily22 added the following:

I did a new order this year, now that we have bought our first home it was worth buying more plants. I ordered for about 200$ of plants (shrubs, bulbs and pot plants). I received everything about 5 weeks after I ordered online. Which is a reasonable delay in spring. I planted everything less than 24hours after reception.

I had a few pleasant surprises: perennial grab bag at 4.99 were really nice 2 peonies, 3 rock covers, and a few other plants I think a total of 5 per bags and they all are growing. The potted plants are all growing except for 2 of them if my count is good but I\'m waiting, you never know when they wake up or if the ones that grow after dormancy are gonna make past that first leaf bloom. ( in the past I had only a minority of plants that crashed, so I know that most of them will thrive) but most of them are actually growing quite well and I can\'t wait to see them flowering.

On the 9 roses I ordered 8 are already full of leaves and the last one is finally showing a tiny sign of leaves.. so again I will wait and see what\'s happening with it in the next weeks. I\'m not sure the 4 ferns in the fern grab bag are gonna grow but those can take a while to wake up.

The shrubs were a nice size.. sadly I think most of them won\'t do anything which is sad, some of them were supposed to be eye catcher in my landscape. I\'m still caring for them and waiting because again with dormant plants in can take a long time before they wake up.

I am very happy with the size of the plants, seriously I didn\'t expect full grown ones for the price and I enjoy watching them grow. I know that if any of the plants in my order are in fact dead, Direct Gardening will replace them with better ones as long as I follow the replacement procedure in less then a year after my purchase, they did it before, and were really quick and nice about it.
If you are looking for a bargain and are not afraid of plants that might look dead but are really just dormant try Direct Gardening.
On February 23rd, 2016, lily22 added the following:

I'm ready to order again this spring.... From the 2014 order some of the plants never grew so In spring 2015 I sent the bags with the tags, with a letter asking for a replacement. I got all the plants about 6 after and oh surprise the bonfire peach was 2 feet with leaves buds all over as pretty as a 80$ one I saw at the nursery and it did thrive last summer, all the other plants they sent to replace grew wonderfully even the ferns. They even sent one last replacement in the fall that I forgot about I was really happy.
So yes it took some replacements, but I'm not in a hurry, they don't ask questions and send better specimens the second time around. I will order more perrenials this year and if I need to use the warranty I know from experience they will honor it.
Negative HM2015
Posted on June 11, 2015, updated August 17, 2015
Posted on June 11, 2015, updated June 11, 2015
Posted on May 28, 2015, updated June 11, 2015
Posted on April 10, 2015, updated May 28, 2015
I recently ordered about $175 of various plants and bushes, and fruits. Unfortunately, the majority of the shipment hasn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t been delivered, but what has been delivered, various rose bushes, raspberry and blackberry canes, paw paw, red bud, and Rose of Sharon bushes were spindly, dried out little branches, more like sticks. A couple of the roses had okay roots, but very gangly and unattractive.But, compared with how I received my order from Michigan Bulbs, I am amazed that there was any green at all on the roots. I have planted all the items, after soaking them for several hours. So far, none have broken dormancy, so, I shall see. Furthermore, I am still expecting the greater part of my order. I don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t know why it is taking so long.

On the plus side, this nursery seems to be the only one from which I can buy MINT! none of the nurseries have it, and even the big box stores seem out of the herb!!!
On May 28th, 2015, HM2015 added the following:

Well, I received the remaining orders, and unfortunately, several of the bushes were already dead or dying. And, not one single rose bush out of 8-10 I ordered has put on a single leaf.

I sent in my request for replacements just today. I shall see how it goes. But, it is truly sad that the majority of items I ordered have never formed or broken dormancy.
On June 10th, 2015, HM2015 added the following:

I sent in a replacement request, as per their instructions in late May. The letter was USPS priority, and I know they received the request end of May. Yet, I have heard nothing about a replacement on any of the items. I lifted out the roses, Rose of Sharon, pawpaw, raspberries, blackberries, etc. after two months in the ground, one would have expected some root growth. Nothing!
On June 10th, 2015, HM2015 added the following:

On August 17th, 2015, HM2015 added the following:

On July 15-16, I was sent back ALL the documents I sent to Direct Gardening showing them all the plants that died. I listed out all the plants that I purchased, and then listed all the plants that died, along with THRIR emails to me and a copy of the charge on my statement. They sent everything back yo me and asked that I send back A LIDT OF ALL PLANTS WHICH DIED AND THEIR CORRESPONDENCE with me.

I sincerely believe that they just play thi stupid game and don\\\\\\\'t even read anything send to them.,of course, it is impossible to get them by phone.

I will try once more. I hate to be out $175+.
On February 20th, 2016, HM2015 added the following:

Hello. On September 4th, a company representative has posted that they got in touch with me. Unfortunately, no such contact was made. Outside of the company returning ALL my documents back, including the detailed list of items ordered, items which did not grow identified, charges reflected on my bank card and copies of my bank statement, ALL EMAIL CORRESPONDENCE as requested, and asking AGAIN, to detail out which items were not viable, no contact was made. I had spent a significant amount of time typing up the list of items ordered, highlighting which items did not grow, making copies of my bank statement, and sending the documents registered mail, as requested.

I am sincerely disappointed that the company representatives would not provide a true statement of their activities.

I have not been on this board in several months. In fact, I had forgotten my password. I would not have added anything else, except when I noticed the comment from the company staying they have gotten in touch with me. As they have not, (Ihave checked all my emails) I felt it was important to update my comments.

PS-if Direct Gardening staff sincerely wish to get in touch, my email is Hatice.murphy@comcast.net. It is the simplest way to get in touch with me.

I am a business consultant and believe customer service is of paramount importance. Thus, I can\\\'t ignore poor service or false statements.
On February 20th, 2016, HM2015 added the following:

A further note: Customer service representative state that they ship their products bare root, and if someone is unfamiliar with it, the gardener may think the plants are dead. It is obvious this representative DID not read my emails, or letters sent to them, nor my posts here. I have stated over and over again, that the items were received in poor shape and I DID soak the plants for several hours. After two months in the ground, babying these items, the plants still did not grow! When I pulled out the items, there were no viable roots.

At this time, I would just like a return of my money, but no such luck.
On February 20th, 2016, HM2015 added the following:

At this time, I would just like a return of my money, but no such luck.
Company representative comment on September 4, 2015:
On Sep 4, 2015 1:59 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of the problems with this customer. Many of our items are shipped bare root and dormant as this allows them to be transplanted with much higher degrees of success. It does not mean they are dead, but since they are dormant, and not leafed out, people unfamiliar with bareroot nursery stock may they mistake them for dead. We suggest soaking in water overnight or for a few hours before planting. Then keep well watered after planting and within 6-8 weeks of warm weather, the plants should break dormancy and show signs of leaf.

We do have both a refund and a replacement guarantee and stand behind them.

Negative jessiejoe
Bronson, TX
February 19, 2016
I live in East Texas (border of zone 8 and 9). I placed an order on 15 Jan 2016 that included trees and bulbs. My credit card was charged on 20 Jan for the total amount ($156.43) . I email the company after 3 weeks to check on the status and received an email that shipping was staggered by the where one lived (warmer areas first). I called again today and was told that shipping would be starting. I spoke to the call center and was told there was no way to check on my specific order. Shipping dept does not have a phone. Since they could not give me a clue when they would ship, I cancelled my order. It seems strange to me that they immediately process a credit card but wait until Illinois warms up to ship. They have my money, but can not provide even a simple shipping date. I am very disappointed and will never deal with them again.
Positive CUJO_13
Springfield, SC
November 14, 2015
I have been ordering for a couple years now always have good things to say they are nice people willing to help great prices and they stand behind their return policy being a disabled Vet this is very important to me
Negative makemehappy
Perrysville, OH
July 31, 2015
I ordered some lavender and all of it died from "direct gardening". I called them and they sent me a voucher so I ordered more items and had to send a check for the remaining on the order, in which I did. A month went by so I called the company they said they had not received it yet to call back in a week. Two days later I get a letter stating I needed to send a check for the remaining balance I opened my letter I had sent to them that they had sent back and the check was still in the envelope. I called them and the person said well she didn't know what happened. I told her forget it too late in the season to plant now and I would not be doing anymore business with them. What a joke that company is. Don't order from them go to a green house in your area.
Negative KatyMac
So. Puget Sound, WA (Zone 8b)
July 29, 2015
One of the few times I ordered from a company without checking Dave's and it was disastrous. $54 out the window. I received their email acknowledgement April 10th and the plants on June 8th in the middle of a national heat wave. All cooked! Some were obviously nearly dead when they shipped. I mean so dry they crackled! Never again.
Neutral pinusresinosa
North Branch, MN
June 22, 2015
Posted on June 22, 2015, updated June 22, 2015
Posted on June 22, 2015, updated June 22, 2015
I\\\'ve had great experiences with Direct Gardening in the past. In May I ordered from them again. I got my order last week. In my order I ordered some splinulose ferns, and canadian hemlock seedlings. The baggies that the \\\"ferns\\\" came in were nothing but what looks like maybe a tablespoon of a root cutting with some soil in it? I can\\\'t tell what that is. A couple of the other baggies have whole bulbous tubers in them- so I\\\'m not sure why these other baggies are basically empty? And the canadian hemlock I ordered was automatically substituted with siberian elm seedlings. I\\\'m sure I don\\\'t need to go into why that would upset a gardener. Yeah, you can sort of plant them in the same spot maybe I guess.... but I mean, the noxious weed thing is annoying and I was sort of hoping to plant some evergreen things in that spot I intend for hemlock.

Stinks because I felt like in the past I was benefiting from a secret- cheap plants that were actually pretty decent! For example, the hydrangeas I got from Direct Gardening a couple years ago are like 5 times their size already and bloomed this year- they look fantastic. I have other examples in my garden. Even though they take like a month or so to ship everything would show up in great shape I think- for the price.

But this order really stunk. I feel totally let down.
On June 22nd, 2015, pinusresinosa added the following:

So I heard back from Direct Gardening today via e-mail. I had e-mailed them last night, so it was nice to hear from them so quickly. They detailed out their return and refund policy for me. Considering the item in question (the Siberian elm trees substituted for Canadian hemlock) were just a couple of dollars in cost, I\'m not going to bother. I mainly made this feedback so that it helps others get a better idea of what the company is like. Again as I said, I\'ve had mostly good experiences with this company. Overall, I\'d say shop smart, and you\'ll get what you pay for. It\'s generally been very worth it for me to purchase from Direct Gardening.
On June 22nd, 2015, pinusresinosa added the following:

So I heard back from Direct Gardening today via e-mail. I had e-mailed them last night, so it was nice to hear from them so quickly. They detailed out their return and refund policy for me. Considering the item in question (the Siberian elm trees substituted for Canadian hemlock) were just a couple of dollars in cost, I'm not going to bother. I mainly made this feedback so that it helps others get a better idea of what the company is like. Again as I said, I've had mostly good experiences with this company. Overall, I'd say shop smart, and you'll get what you pay for. It's generally been very worth it for me to purchase from Direct Gardening.
Neutral pbgardens
Anoka, MN
June 19, 2015
Thanks to Garden Watchdog, I dodged a bullet here. So up front, thanks to the reviewers here.

I ordered about $120 worth of items on 5/11. The next day, I found this site and thought, "oh no, what have I done!" So, I checked their website and found their cancellation policy, and saw I was past their 24-hour window. I e-mailed to cancel anyway, hoping for the best, and got a response a few days later that it would be "forwarded to the appropriate department." That didn't leave me with much hope.

After a month, I had not heard a word, and tried calling them, but like many others, could not get through. I called the credit card company, only to find Direct Gardening had refunded my money over two weeks earlier. Again,, I did not hear that from them.

On the positive side, they did give me my money back, and honored my request to cancel, even slightly outside their policy. I give them credit for that. On the negative, communication was horrible, and I see within their actions with me the potential to have the same negative outcome many others experience. I call it a wash, but would not order from them again, given the poor reputation.

I encourage those who find these reviews and don't wish to receive your order to do two things: first, ask for a cancellation. It cannot hurt, and may save you as it did me. Second, if that fails, do not let things go past 30 days. My plan was to contact them at 30 days and if they had not shipped, to initiate a charge-back. Don't accept "we'll ship soon." It either has or hasn't by then, and there is no excuse. If you wait longer, you may lose some of the power in the charge-back process.
Negative TonyAdams
Wethersfield, CT
June 18, 2015
In early May, I ordered three Cobalt Dreams delphiniums.
I got a package on June 17. It contained three dead plants and the message that they were substitutes for what I ordered which were sold out.

I called Direct Gardening and was told I would need to return the dead plants AT MY OWN EXPENSE. They also ordered me to write a note explaining why I want the refund. I did this today. We will see what happens.

It is clear to me that customer satisfaction is something this company does not care about.

Negative tracy_xu
Okemos, MI
June 18, 2015
Completely waste of money. I bought 50+ plants from them, including roses, lavender, irish moss, and other ground covers. Only one rose survived the first year. They have one year replacement. So I requested replacement. The second year, only three roses survived. All other plants died.

Don't buy plants from them. It is a waste of money and effort. They do have one year replacement. But considering such a low surviving rate, you wouldn't get anything from your money, not even mentioning your time and effort.
Negative skootsi
San Jacinto, CA
June 9, 2015
Ordered four bare root Darrow everbearing blackberries. Followed instructions, soaking before planting in an automatically watered bed. None broke dormancy. 100% failure rate.

Ordered two Zepherine climbing roses and two Viking Queen climbing roses. One of each thrived, one of each failed to show growth. 50% failure rate.

This place appears to be the Harbor Freight of the garden world. Cheap but very iffy.
Negative ksaunm
Baraboo, WI
June 6, 2015
Ordered on 4/30. The website said they process orders in 7-10 days. Heard nothing after 2 weeks, so I emailed them; 3 days later got an email saying they are working as fast as they can. I finally canceled the order 6/3. I didn't lose any money, but by the time I went to the nursery the plants were picked over.
On Jun 7, 2015 10:45 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customers experience. Our website states it does typically take 1-2 weeks to process an order. Once processed, the orders are shipped based upon weather and availability. We are sorry to hear of this customerís experience as we do take pride in our customer care. As many know the weather this year has been very unpredictable which has started our shipping later than usual. While it may be warm in your location we have to take into consideration the transit. We want to make sure the plants reach our customers in the best condition possible.

Negative Force60
Houston, TX
June 6, 2015
Ordered 2x Thai Giant plants 5/25. Took screenshot of order confirmation and glad that I did. No email confirmation sent. Now 7 June. I finally got ahold of them and was told that it takes 1 to 2 weeks to get order "processed". What? No mention on website. Essentially told to keep waiting. I will never order from them again. Terrible online business.
On Jun 7, 2015 10:51 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear this. An email confirmation is automatically sent to the email address provided at the time the order is placed, however if we are not added to your address book it is possible the email is sitting in the spam folder. Our website does state 1-2 weeks for processing of the orders. A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help resolve this problem

Positive pookus
Maryland Heights, MO
June 4, 2015
I ordered late in the spring, but I received my full order in about 6 weeks. Everything was great. I ordered 2 rose bushes, 6 garden phlox and 8 double carnations. One of the rose bushes however looks a little not so good, but when I scraped the bark above the roots there was a little green. I am not giving up on it yet! They are hard to get hold of by phone, but they do email back in a timely manner. I will be ordering again.
On Jun 7, 2015 10:55 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

Thank you for your kind posting on Garden Watchdog. Your experience is more typical of our normal customers as we do ship hundreds of thousands of packages to satisfied customers each year. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments!

Neutral Melnh
Cresco, IA
June 4, 2015
It was the beginning of May and we were recieving warmer than normal temps in my planting zone (80+ degrees) and all my perennials were up and all early blooming plants were in full bloom. I had made my order in February and had not recieved one word from the company as to when my order would be shipped. I called the company 3 times, the first 2 I recieved a busy tone. Finally I got through and asked about my order. The lady I spoke with was kind and explained that they hadn't began shipping to my zone yet. I explained to her that we were having an unusually warm spring and that it was time to plant if I was going to plant what I had ordered. She said she could put a request in to see if they could ship my order as soon as possible. I recieved my order in 10 days which I was happy with. When I opened the box I was a little worried. I had ordered 6 2year blue spruces which already looked half dead and some various bulbs which didn't look healthy and a tomato plant which ended up being tomato seeds... I planted everything immediately except for the seeds because it was too late to plant those and have a healthy plant. The trees only got worse. I water them 3 times a week unless it rains, if it rains on a day I would water I skip that day. The trees sadly lost all their needles and they look done for. I will continue to baby them for a few weeks and if that doesn't work I will send them back and request a replacement.
On Jun 7, 2015 11:02 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear about this customers experience. The weather this year has been very unpredictable to say the least! A customer care representative has contact this customer for further information. We do have a 1 year replacement guarantee on all of our plants and do hope that the customer takes advantage of this guarantee.

Negative BarbieAnn77
Hedgesville, WV
June 3, 2015
I am still waiting for plants to be shipped I originally placed order April 4th I called April 27th and was told it was canceled ....I re- ordered everything again ...I WISH I DIDN'T EVEN CALL TO CHECK ON THE ORDER...I was sent a packet of sunflower seeds supposed to be jumbo looks like a pack I would buy at the dollar general store nothing jumbo about the pack .....I have been calling all last month and the month before cause this was all supposed to be a mothers day gift.....I was told it would be shipped and I should receive my order May 11th a day after mothers day.....I said not a problem as long as I receive it by then...Since then I get told when I call Mondays oh it is gonna be shipped by the end of this week ....Call back Friday to check...I have been calling back every Friday and Monday to get the same thing told to me....I even spoke with a supervisor who said 'There is nothing holding up ur order ....I have no idea why ur order hasn't been shipped" and that she will see to it my order is shipped..Still nothing but a cheep packet of seeds that is TO LATE TO PLANT...I could have got them around here cheaper ..I thought live plants would be shipped tru fed ex or U.P.S not tru ur post office ... I had asked customer service if fed-ex or U.P.S was bringing them ..This is when I was told I was getting them tru mail....I will now have to wait whenever they decide to send my plants another 2 weeks before I receive it to drive to post office to pick up my order ....Yet I paid the shipping ...And they want another 12 to ship tru Fed-ex ...They will not get another Penny from me .....NEVER EVER BUY FROM THIS PLACE OR THE OTHER 7 GARDENING PLACES AFFILIATED WITH THEM IT IS ALL THE SAME PLACE....IF U HAVE FACEBOOK THERE ARE OTHERS ON THERE NOW COMPLAINING ...GO TO SEARCH ON FACEBOOK AND LOOK UP... NEVER SHOP AT DIRECT GARDENING
On Jun 7, 2015 11:09 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customerís experience as we do take pride in our customer care. As many know the weather this year has been very unpredictable which has started our shipping later than usual. While it may be warm in your location we have to take into consideration the transit. We want to make sure the plants reach our customers in the best condition possible. We are affiliated with other companies but these are separate companies.

Negative ellonwheels
Bowdon, GA (Zone 7b)
June 2, 2015
As a fairly experienced gardener who has used mail order houses successfully in the past, I ordered a couple of weeks before I needed to plant the items I was ordering, on 05/03. Having studied the website thoroughly, I had determined that they claimed they would ship at appropriate planting time for my zone (7b) and that I should expect shipment in about 14 days or so. Incidentally, I ordered two plants from an Etsy gardener, the first time I'd ever done that, and I was far more nervous about that order than this one, but it went quite smoothly and those plants were received within a week. Since I'm a wheelchair user and must hire someone to help with planting, I attempted to call after 12 days to see when my order would be shipped. I could get no answer on the phone, so I used the email form on their website, citing my order number and date as reference. I got their canned response that they had received the email. By the time I heard back from Customer Care, it had been nearly 3 weeks since my order was placed. (Note that my account was charged the day after the order was placed. This company has no problem processing charges.) The weather in Georgia was beginning to get on the hot side, and I had a trip scheduled, so I was anxious. I received a form email that said I needed to wait 10-14 days to contact them. When I responded to that email saying it had already been much longer than 14 days, they responded quickly that the order was being processed and they were shipping plants as they arrived - the same kinds of things it appears they tell everyone. I explained, again, that I need to know when the items would arrive so that I could schedule someone to help me and received a quick response that I could check the status of my order at any time and they would be glad to help. This does not mean, however, that they'll tell you when an order is to be shipped. I checked one more time and learned that they would not even give me a general idea of when the plants would ship, so I requested that they cancel the order and refund my money. It's now been a full month since I placed the order and the man who helps in my yard had a stroke over the weekend and I still have not received my package. I again attempted to contact them and got the exact same responses as before. I again wrote that I wanted to cancel the order and receive a refund, still not having received any direct response to the initial request to have my order refunded. At this point, I don't need the plants any longer because I have no way to plant them. Indeed, it is now getting too hot in my area to plant tender young plants directly outside. But I can't get anyone on the phone - it is constantly busy, no matter what time I call - and I get no response to my request to cancel the order and refund my money. It isn't much money - $25 for the plants and $10 for shipping (though that seems excessive, considering what I've read about their shipping practices). However, it is a meaningful amount to me, since I am on a fixed income. Since the company will not respond to me I have registered complaints with the Federal Trade Commission for mail fraud, to the USPS for mail theft (in each case, the problem stems from the fact that they mailed me a catalog which I used to order from, which constitutes interstate use of the mail to defraud a consumer) and to the Central Illinois Better Business Bureau, for not refunding my money. I am also attempting to make sure everyone else knows not to use this company or its sister companies. If I do ever hear anything from them, or, heaven forbid, receive live plants, I will post an update, but at this point, having read other reviews of the company, I expect I have lost the $35 and learned a valuable lesson. Though I have never had a problem with nursery mail order or online catalogs, the world has changed. It has always been my policy to check up on companies before I order from them, but since I'd never had trouble with nursery companies, and because I was so excited about finding the Angel Trumpets I wanted, and other old-fashioned plants that would work so well in my garden, I skipped that step with this order. My $35 lesson has been never to skip that step on any order in the future. I'm thankful I've found this site to help me with that. At least one good thing has come of it. I am embarrassed, however, that I recommended this company to my sister and had to tell her I got defrauded instead of getting the plants I wanted. I'll probably hear about that for years!
On Jun 7, 2015 11:21 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customers experience. Our website does state that it takes 1-2 weeks to process the orders. Once processed, the orders ship based upon weather and plant availability. It does become very difficult to cancel an order once entered into processing. We do have a refund guarantee and we have contacted this customer via D-mail to see how we may be of assistance.

Negative annewiggy
Inwood, WV
June 1, 2015
I ordered on April 29th. I called the company and added to the order on April 30th. I asked for an updated confirmation of my order, but unfortunately it never came. The funds were taken out right away. I tried to be patient and wait for my order to arrive. I started to worry since here it was at the end of May. I called and asked the company if my order had shipped. I was told no. I asked "do you have a general idea or eta for shipment". I was told "no". I asked if I was going to an email or tracking when the order was shipped. I was told "no". I asked "should I call back if I haven't seen anything within a certain time period?" The extent of the CSR's response was "sure". Once the week came I didn't feel comfortable waiting any longer and emailed to cancel my order. I was told, like many others, I couldn't because they process the orders so quickly it is virtually impossible to cancel an order once placed. Well part of the order came Friday 5/29. 5 (4-5 year old) blue spruce. Well they were completely rotten, the smell was so bad you could smell them walking up to the porch. When I opened the 12" round bag they were all crammed in, of course they were all dead, flat as a pan cake, and rotten. I told them I would send them back, but I was not paying for shipping. They want me to pay for shipping to them & return shipping for new plants to be sent. Horrible company!! Also, they are affiliated with several other companies. So be careful, you might order from them and not even know it. I filed a complaint with my CC since they were not willing to cancel my order or refund my funds. They have been shady all the way.
Negative originaljazzgirl
Fairfax,
United States
June 1, 2015
2015-04-21 - placed order
2015-04-23 - credit card charged
2015-05-19 - not received, no emails. I called them, phone frequently busy, finally got through, said there had been some delays in shipping, supposed to be shipped out early part of this week, should get email once its shipped, call back if no email or delivery by 2015-05-26
2015-05-26 - not received, no emails.
2015-06-01 - tried all day to get through on the phone, line busy. Company has no email address or on-line way to reach them. Making a claim with my credit card company now.
Negative Peony64
Lawrenceville, GA
May 28, 2015
I placed on order on May 7, and understood it could take up to two weeks to process the order. It's been over three weeks, and I still have no updates. I emailed customer service for an update on my order, and got a canned response that didn't tell me anything. I gave this company a chance (despite the horrible reviews) because they were the only company who offered all four plants I really wanted, and I wanted to save on shipping costs. If I'd just spent the money on shipping with other firms, I'd already have all four of the flowers I really want.

If I ever get my order, I'll update on the condition of the plants.
Negative Ibulena
Selbyville, DE
May 28, 2015
Purchased online 4/17/15. As of 5/28/15 have not received order yet they took money out of my account immediately in April. Told several times over weeks order was in shipping and would be shipped to my area soon. That was 2-3 weeks ago. Called to cancel today and told it was shipped. Told them I was sending it back IF it shows up. After the fact I have looked of reviews of this company on various sites and 99% are negative. Never use them!!
Negative lorigrierson
Bay City, MI
May 25, 2015
I don't think that this company could suck any worse if they tried. I ordered some 'White Feather' hosta from them last summer after Holland Bulb Co. ran out. My order was for somewhere between $300 - $400. It took a month to get here, besides numerous requests from me asking where the order was. It ended up delivered at a time when I was going to be out of town (even though I by then had asked to cancel the order...and of course it was 'too late to cancel' (according to them). I ended up getting all of the bare root plants planted. When they came up, not even half of them were actually 'White Feather'. By then, it was to late to return any of them. (according to company policy). I'm currently digging up the entire row, in which there are approximately 4 hosta that are actually the 'White Feather'. So, I decided to let everybody know what a nightmare they are to deal with
Negative cc5583
Houston, TX
May 21, 2015
Posted on May 19, 2015, updated May 21, 2015
Posted on May 16, 2015, updated May 19, 2015
I have purchased from other online companies, however I have to say this is the worst one. I placed an order over a month ago and every time I get someone to FINALLY answer the phone, all I get told is that they are working to ship my order out and it should arrive in a few days. I try to be a patient person so I wait a few days, call back and each time I get told, oh no I\\\'m sorry it hasn\\\'t been shipped yet, but it should be shipped in a few days. So I try and wait and give them a few more days..but sadly days are turning into weeks..which is ridiculous. I have already been told the plants I ordered and in stock, and that that my order should be in the shipping area and be sent within a day to three days. Then after waiting three to four days and calling..I get the oh I\\\'m sorry your order hasn\\\'t been filled yet. I am beyond annoyed with this company and if this is how this company does business I want no part of it. I have tried to send numerous emails to get an update and I keep getting the same lousy email that doesn\\\'t give me a bit of information. I didn\\\'t only order plants for myself, some were purchased for family members. I feel horrible for having to contact them and tell them that I honestly have no clue when the plants, or if the plants will arrive. This is the first time and the LAST time I will ever do any business with this company.
On May 19th, 2015, cc5583 added the following:

After over a month of being told oh they\'ll be shipped soon...they are finally shipped....as of yesterday. So now I\'ve been told wait 5-7 days for my order to arrive. after all the drama and lies...I hate to see how my order turned out. I\'ll update this with how the order was once it arrived. After reading all the horror stories of how people received their orders, I\'m no longer excited.
On May 21st, 2015, cc5583 added the following:

Ok so my plants finally arrived today. Like the saying goes...you get what you pay for. They are super super tiny plants, with lots of yellow leaves. I hurried and watered them because most were dry. I hope they will be ok, but for anyone who's reading reviews before they order...DONT DO IT! I ordered two other plants from another company...the ones I ordered from here were 2-3 inches at best......the other company sent me two 2 foot tall angel trumpets....needless to say I know who to do business with now. I was told they were just now shipping orders from Early April to Mid April. So for those who ordered af the end of April, good luck. It took me over a month to get 5 angel trumpets.
Negative Brendap98
Utica, MI
May 20, 2015
I should have listened to the other people to reviewed this company but instead the cheap prices got the best of me and I gave them a shot. it has been a month since I placed my order and still no products and its going to be june soon. Everytime I call the phone is constantly busy. I have been trying all day today. DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

order GZJONXVKL placed 4/25/15
Negative 1CRAZYLADY
Rohnert Park, CA
May 19, 2015
PLEASE DO NOT ORDER FROM DIRECT GARDENING YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE IT....
I ordered their 100 strawberry collection and roma beans and with this order, i was given some plants as complimentary for ordering over $40 worth of items. Told it would arrive in 1 to 1 1/2 weeks...well after many attempts to call their customer service dept (busy or no answer) and several inquiries via emails, NOTHING!
So....3 1/2 weeks go by and i receive a small envelope of green beans...NOTHING ELSE!!!OMG..REALLY??? By the time i get my strawberries the season will be OVER!!!!! I AM SO UPSET, THIS IS NOT NECCESSARY...TO BE SCAMMED AND RIPPED OFF OVER PLANTS.....REALLY?????
Negative sjffff
West Bountiful, UT
May 13, 2015
A friend of mine ordered a fruit salad stone fruit tree over a month ago and has called a number of times only to be told that it will be another month until the tree arrives if in fact they actually send it. We are in a high mountain valley where the temps will quickly rise into the 80's next month which will not allow for the planting of a bare root treen and they were told this upon ordering and we were assured that it would arrive in time for our planting season. Stay away from this company they are a total joke! Order from Peaceful Valley or the like.
Negative FarminMan
Petersburg, VA
May 1, 2015
Posted on March 30, 2015, updated May 1, 2015
I read the bad comments after purchasing and was really worried that I would not received what I ordered from Direct Gardening. It took 4 weeks but I received exactly what I ordered. I ordered bare root hybrid poplar, hybrid willow, and dawn redwood trees they were small but not bad for the price. I wrote them in the middle of the fourth week and stated my concerns. They replied with a ok answer but did not settle my concerns by giving me a possible delivery date or shipping number. Bottom line is that I was satisfied but it took too long with out any idea when the trees would or did ship which would have relieved my concern.
On May 1st, 2015, FarminMan changed the rating from positive to negative and added the following:

I told Direct Gardening I would give them a good review because they got me the trees I ordered and the website said they would be small. I did as I said I would, but now I have given the trees a chance to start growing. All 4 of the tiny Dawn Redwood trees sent died. They were really tiny when I received them. Many of the Hybrid Willows and Hybrid Poplars also died. In the same period of time I bought from Gurney and BigV62 on eBay (also known as Panter Nursery.) The other trees for the most part are doing well. The biggest and best trees for the price came from BigV62 on eBay. They arrived quickly and their color and condition looked very good. Gurney's trees were ok but not as good. They were also the most expensive.
Negative 3uprider
Hope Mills, NC
April 20, 2015
WOW! I wasted a good bit of money. Placed an order, money taken out of my account in less than 24 hours. Here it is 20 days later and I have nothing from them other than a standard BS email "we cant find anything". I even gave them the order number, copy of email confirmation and a copy of the online order confirmation. DO NOT GIVE YOUR MONEY TO THIS COMPANY. Go somewhere else, pay more and have the satisfaction of actually receiving your purchase.

Copyright © 2000-2016 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.