The scoop on 'Direct Gardening'

1704 Morrissey Drive
Bloomington, Illinois 61704 (United States)

This company is affiliated with Burgess Seed

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative valal
Natick, MA
August 13, 2014
I was hoping to be one who could give Direct Gardening some positive feedback, thinking that they just do better with some items than others (ie daylilys, hostas, etc.) Yes, the prices are really low, yes, you receive bare roots, etc. and non potted plants. I'm willing to wait a little longer as I have a huge gardening project/redo at a new house that basically is all grass in the backyard. However, my latest experience is VERY Disappointing and I would have to concur that this is a company that will not be getting my business any longer.

I placed a $42 order on 6/15 and received my order 2-1/2 weeks later. The daylilies looked good and while the Chinese Lantern, Obedient plant, Fern Bleeding Heart plants and Adam's Needle Yucca arrived as "sticks" as others have described. Some looked wilty/not firm or in great condition (not just "dormant"); however I planted them and the bleeding hearts did great, the obedient plants took a while but are sprouting/growing slowly. The other 2 I considered the hardiest and have done NOTHING in almost 6 weeks. The Creeping Phlox was pretty dried out when it arrived, some has come back but about 1/2 has not. I know....Their prices are low, and you get what you pay for; but I still held out hope that bulbs and daylilies/hostas would prove to be well worth the order. The few bulbs I got (few hardy glads, liatris) sprouted well and I wanted more.

I placed a $92 order on July 21 mostly of bulbs including 50 Lily bulbs, liatris, dutch iris, hardy glads etc. The writeup on their lilys says "10-12cm" which is 3.9-4.7 inches. I thought That's a great size! I received my lilies and the largest were NOT EVEN TWO INCHES (and many were a lot smaller, many 1/2 that size). This is outright misprepresentation and false advertisement. I wrote customer service and mentioned I was happy with some of the plants, some from my first order had not arrived well but I was taking a wait and see attitude, however the lilies were NOT what was expected and not what was advertised.

Basically I got a "give your plants a chance and if they do not do well in 6 weeks, send the shipping label and they will send a replacement" canned answer. How will the replacement do? I have my doubts now. NO response to the size of the lily bulbs other than "If you prefer a refund instead of a replacement, return the plant, postage prepaid along with the ORIGINAL SHIPPING LABEL within fourteen days in accordance with our guarantee."

It's apparent that they do NOT stand behind the quality or promised size of their items. I know most of their items do NOT give you a size, probably on purpose. The hostas I received were good and 1/2 of them are sprouting already, and 1/2 the daylilies looked pretty decent, though 6 had mold and wilty roots that had to be trimmed and may or may not do well. This company has seen the last of my money. I will take my business elsewhere. Shame on them -- and shame on me for giving them a 2nd chance.
Positive kaybow17
Lexington, IN
August 3, 2014
I placed my order and was expecting to have to wait a long time to receive it; but it arrived quickly and in great condition. I ordered 3 Bonfire ornamental peach trees and when they arrived I soaked them over-night in tepid water and planted them the next day.
The trees are already starting to produce leaves and I am very happy with them. Customer service was great and I received exactly what I had ordered, sooner than I expected. Thanks!.... I highly recommend this company to any prospective buyers out there! Quality plants at an affordable price! Direct Gardening is an awesome company and they offer a 1 year warranty on all of their plants. I wish I had found out about them sooner; and I plan to be one of their regular customers in the future. I strongly urge other experienced gardeners to order their trees and other plantings from Direct Gardening! You simply can not go wrong in doing so!
Negative lwbuchholz
Manhattan, MT
July 17, 2014
I ordered from this company in 2012 and after my experience will not order from them again. The potted plants came through bone dry. I watered them and one tried to come out of it but didn't have enough energy and the other 2 died. Their return policy was confusing and responses curt. Not for me!
Negative willslady
Raysal, WV
July 11, 2014
I too ordered from this company on May the 6th 2014. And as of this date 7/11/2014 have not gotten my order.they used the right shipping time to ship the flowers on me and then they used that mix up of the address on me too that I am the one at fault because they say that I did not give them the right shipping address, which I did and the one thing I did get from them was a flower boost soil to add around the flowers, that got to me with no problem at all. When I finally got a call in to them, they tried telling me I was not even in the system, so they are using the same excuses on me as they have on other people from what I have read. My order was for over a 100.00 dollars which they had no trouble debiting from my account and so far all I got was the flower boost. All I have gotten from them has been a run around and they will not refund my money,on the 9th of this month(July) they said they would reship my order to me and that it would take 1 to 2 weeks before they could get this order reshipped with having to reprint labels and etc,etc, sounds like a bunch of bull to me, all they are doing is giving me yet another run around over my order. , well we will see. Every time I emailed this company they said it would be shipping and I even called the company and they told me they would track my package as it had already shipped and I should have gotten it by then. They proceeded to tell me it was my fault with the addresses I gave but like I said above the flower boost got to me without any problem at all. I would advise anybody to not order from this company as they do not do what they say and you can get no where with trying to deal with them. I have ordered off the internet for years now and this company has been the worse so far I have ever dealt with!!! With giving them a rating, I would give them the worse rating possible, do yourself a favor and steer clear of this company! I even tried telling them I would contact a lawyer, that did not work either, I guess they have gotten away with all this junk so long they think they are above the law now.
Negative Cellsum
New York City, NY
June 28, 2014
I really wish I had known of your "Watchdog" before ordering. After receiving mail catalog a year or so ago, had ordered some bulbs- some of which arrived smelling DISGUSTING and looking moldy. What came up best were the "surprise" gifts. But the prices seemed economical, so ordered again. Shipping took far too long- then I began doing some research. Just as I was about to ask where my order was, it arrived. The "bargain" myrtle must have been such a great deal because it was completely dead. The ground cover lilies have come up, but have yet to bloom. The three little strawberries that came as "gift" which I did not have room for and stuck in pots, have a flower or two. But I wish I had known about all the negative experiences others have had and would have ordered from a more reputable outfit. The very lengthy shipping time was unacceptable- particularly for dead plants. I didn't even bother to complain and receive the unnecessary runaround that seems to be this company's m.o. Lesson learned! I will stick with Watchdog 30 nurseries from now on. Hopefully my next reports will be much happier. Thank you.
Negative LonM
Boise, ID
June 22, 2014
Lots to complain about with this company: slow shipping, truly crappy product, abysmal customer service. I recognize the difference between dead and dormant - and most of their plants were not just dead but close to rotted mush! I filed a complaint with their local Better Business Bureau, but of course nothing but a form letter from them.

They promised good merchandise, but did not deliver. If you get a replacement it's just more crap, so what's the point? If you try to nurse their 'plants' along you can waste weeks of a precious growing season and then have to start off over anyway. You've wasted both your time and your money!

To see the difference in a truly dramatic way try ordering something from "The Top Five" at davesgardens.com, such as my favorite santarosagardens.com. Santa Rosa provides competitive pricing with top quality plants (every plant I've gotten from them is thriving from day one!) and their customer service is exemplary - about as opposite as you can get from the Direct Gardening/House of Wesley scam operation - and their other aliases.
Positive lily22
Ashland, MA
June 19, 2014
Posted on April 9, 2012, updated June 19, 2014
Posted on June 15, 2011, updated April 9, 2012
Posted on May 31, 2011, updated June 15, 2011
Well today May 31 2011 i finally received my little 35$ order from direct gardening that i did on May 3 2011...
i was afraid with all the bad comments but decided to try a small one anyway to see.
i was surprise that the plants arrived in a plastic bag but after opening it and looking inside everything seems fine.. a lot of them had already buds and leaves and the ones that didn't don't look too bad... so I've put them in water and I'll plant them tomorrow morning and see how they do. they are small but its OK, the prices are so good i didn't expect big ready to flower trees!!
my only deception was the mixed tree bargain, they are red maples, so I'm gonna go and plant them in the wood...I thought i would get 6 different trees with at least a nice one in... but for 5$ i can't really be surprised...

so i just did another order twice bigger with roses this time, i guess ill receive them by the end of June.
I'm keeping the bag with the receipt and the mail stamp if anything is wrong at the end of the summer ill just do what they recommend to get a replacement.
Its was an experiment and i can say that if you are a patient person and don't mind waiting for your plants to grow direct gardening is a good place to save money... my plants were ship from House of Wesley and I did my new order directly from them... ill let you all know if it is faster this time.

have fun in your gardens!!

On June 15th, 2011, lily22 added the following:

I've receive the order, i placed on may 31th, on monday june 13. That was really fast.
Everything was in order except a few damages due to the transportation. I soaked all of the plants i've received and planted some of them today.
They replace one of my roses by another one but with no id... so i wrote to the nice lady at the customer service who answered me a few hours later and giving the info i needed. So on the customer service I only have positive to say since she was really nice and fast to answer me and gave me reassurance on the plants guaranties if some of them dies.
Some of the plants are dormant but i'm giving them a big 6 weeks before thinking they are dead, because most of them have nice roots and looks green .
If you want to save money and don't mind having small plant that might need a year or two to grow you should order from Direct Gardening. If you prefer to have big plants well you should shop at your local nursery and pay the full price.

I will order again from them when i'm gonna need more plants.
On April 9th, 2012, lily22 added the following:

A month ago I've send them a letter with my proof of purchase from last year to get a replacement for a few of the shrubs and plants that sadly never grew. They were really quick at sending the replacements and the plants they sent are really nice with good roots. The ones that did good last year seems to have a nice spring and are growing really well. I will order again since I'm a patient person and I do like to watch my small plants grow and that I have what I'm paying for. Except for the e-mail exchange from last year with the customer services I didn't have any other contacts with them, so as far as I know they are quick to answer and courteous. I had an overall good experience.
On June 19th, 2014, lily22 added the following:

I did a new order this year, now that we have bought our first home it was worth buying more plants. I ordered for about 200$ of plants (shrubs, bulbs and pot plants). I received everything about 5 weeks after I ordered online. Which is a reasonable delay in spring. I planted everything less than 24hours after reception.

I had a few pleasant surprises: perennial grab bag at 4.99 were really nice 2 peonies, 3 rock covers, and a few other plants I think a total of 5 per bags and they all are growing. The potted plants are all growing except for 2 of them if my count is good but I'm waiting, you never know when they wake up or if the ones that grow after dormancy are gonna make past that first leaf bloom. ( in the past I had only a minority of plants that crashed, so I know that most of them will thrive) but most of them are actually growing quite well and I can't wait to see them flowering.

On the 9 roses I ordered 8 are already full of leaves and the last one is finally showing a tiny sign of leaves.. so again I will wait and see what's happening with it in the next weeks. I'm not sure the 4 ferns in the fern grab bag are gonna grow but those can take a while to wake up.

The shrubs were a nice size.. sadly I think most of them won't do anything which is sad, some of them were supposed to be eye catcher in my landscape. I'm still caring for them and waiting because again with dormant plants in can take a long time before they wake up.

I am very happy with the size of the plants, seriously I didn't expect full grown ones for the price and I enjoy watching them grow. I know that if any of the plants in my order are in fact dead, Direct Gardening will replace them with better ones as long as I follow the replacement procedure in less then a year after my purchase, they did it before, and were really quick and nice about it.
If you are looking for a bargain and are not afraid of plants that might look dead but are really just dormant try Direct Gardening.
Negative LHolmes
Greensboro, MD
May 20, 2014
Placed an order for 3 blue moon climbing roses roses and 3 golden showers climbing roses on April 6th, 2014. Heard nothing about shipping, phone calls just go to a busy signal but the plants did finally arrive on May 3, 2014. They were not packaged well, just put in a plastic bag and sent through the post.

Pulled them out and got them soaking in buckets of water overnight in preparation for planting right away. I did not look at them too closely as it was late in the evening when I got home from work. I however got a good look on the 4th when I went to plant them in the ground. Five of the roses are in ok shape, and though I have seen better it looks like they have put out new growth. One rose however, a blue moon, was simply appalling!! It was a stick. When I say a stick, I mean an actual stick with little or no root system left in tact. They had all be CUT off.

We took a photo of the stick that is supposedly a dormant plant but it apparently is not enough proof. http://i.imgur.com/BNq3xAp.jpg I have been gardening for a number of years and NEVER have I seen a rose in such poor condition.

I contact support and was told to put it in the ground and give it a little time to see if it would "come back". My response, to this was "really?" but I planted it anyway and waited. It is now now a brown stick. Emailed support and received a generic email to plant them anyway if I have not done so (already told them they were planted) and that I would need to return the plant, with the original shipping label. I don't know that I even have it as after the first conversation I had, NOTHING was said about needing the shipping label at all.
Negative TCHEATHAM
Campbellsburg, IN
May 12, 2014
I placed an order about 3 weeks ago and have heard nothing from them. I sent an email to let them know that I had yet to receive my shipment but have gotten no reply. I also tried to call but only get a busy signal. I am very unhappy with this company and will not place another order with them.
Negative Nikita007
Alderwood Manor, WA
May 10, 2014
Like lots of other customers I placed several emails to Direct Gardening, and made many phone calls to an always busy number; I too filed with the BBB. Funny how their D- rating of a few years ago was changed to a B-, despite the same exact offenses.

I understand from an ABC's 20/20 show a rating can be changed if a company pays the BBB fees. With as many bad reviews as Direct Gardening gets there's no way they rate that high.

Wished I had read these reviews before giving them $89.68 for a variety of 35 plants. How this company and their subsidiaries continue to conduct business all these years in the US is beyond me. It's interesting to note, that although they have racked up countless negative reviews on several gardening sites, no legal action has been brought against this company. I've waited four weeks for my order placed April 10, 2014.

The company lists 66 people but not one seems able to pick up the phone. I've requested to speak with a supervisor twice, no luck. Surely these repeated offenses can't go UN-noticed.

All the brush offs about waiting on the weather and nursery stock, and claims that orders are in shipping are delay tactics. As others note: EVERY other online gardening site processes orders in a timely manner, and sends updates with emails on shipping. Their websites offer ways to input order numbers to check progress.

Trying to get a refund from these people seems about as virtually impossible as their "quality" plants, trees and roots. They expect you to give up and go away. Don't. That's why they're still operating. I've contacted the Illinois Attorney Generals Consumer Fraud Bureau, the BBB, and am leaving reviews everywhere I can. Direct Gardening is anything but direct. Their business practices and customer service are not transparent. Given the general reported responses to dissatisfied customers, they don't care about customer service or retention.

I will NOT accept replacement plants,vouchers or believe in any supposed "guarantees" this company offers, so they can send me through a maze of misdirection and sleight of hand. I refuse to wait months to receive my more than deserved refund, given that all other plants I've ordered online from FOUR other companies were placed on the same day, from the same region of the country, and have long ago been received. All plants are healthy, with exception of Burpee, who granted my refund in 5-7 business days, as is proper business protocol. All plants have been in the ground for WEEKS!

One last note: This company can't seem to process or track orders in shipping, or process refunds----yet they can generate catalogs to send. I received a catalog from them last week. Proof they have a computer system.

Negative jowi681
Lower Allen, PA
May 8, 2014
I ordered 1200 vinca as well as cotoneaster and wintercreeper in early April 2014 from this company. I also ordered multiple thuja giant from another company at the same time. The company with the thuja giant sent my product within 5 days. They are planted and growing (fast-growing trees was honest with me). However, this has not happened with Direct Gardening. I have called and got a busy signal. I kept calling and got through on Sunday, May 6, 2014. I was told I am not in the system (it is May 8, 2014). I have sent them an email from here (I am so glad I joined even though I forgot I did and had to reset my email). I have told them of this problem. Most importantly, for the readers, I told them that using the mail and telephone to provide misleading or shoddy goods may violate federal law. They can be reported to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or Department of Justice (DOJ) for interstate mail fraud. I am waiting to hear back from them. I think anyone having this experience that is NOT remedied should seriously consider calling your local/regional/state FTC or DOJ. I know I will depending on what happens. It is one thing to use "the internet" to do this and quite another to "use the internet" and the "telephone and mail" to do the same thing: taking hundreds of dollars from hundreds of customers and doing little/providing shoddy & misleading products is not legal let alone moral or fair. But, well, let us wait and see. I could be wrong. Very wrong. I sure hope so. I, for one, will not let this rest nor will I pay quietly on a credit card order that was misleading if not outright fraud. Trust me.
Negative hunky1234
Pleasant Hill, CA
May 3, 2014
5-3-2014 Ordered 5 mock orange plants from this company. Heard nothing for months. No answer to emails or if they ever did they were very vague or passed on to someone else who never answered. Had to threaten small claims court to finally get my bare root plants but even then they did not email one word. The plants look dead and I doubt if they will grow; only time will tell. This is the worst company I have ever dealt with and I heartily suggest you reconsider before doing business with them. Even "Burgess" who they are affiliated with does not reply to emails. BEWARE....STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE....
Negative arlingtongarden
Arlington, MA
April 29, 2014
Before placing my order with DG, I read the reviews posted here. I was not surprised or even bothered with lack of shipping communication, and I did eventually receive my order. In fact, my seeds were sent in advance of everything else.
The plants received were packaged in a pretty rough way, but I was even okay with that, though two plants were pretty much dead upon arrival. In my order was a male and female holly. The female had good growth, and solid roots. The male on the other hand, had two tiny leaves remaining, and the roots were all dried up. I tried rescuing it by putting it in a pot, but it was pretty much dead. My Marquis Grape vine was just a stick with no roots or any new growth at all. I sent photos of the aforementioned items with notes under each, and the curt reply I received was:
The photos of the items you have received appear to be green and still alive. Please specify the problem with them.

Customer Care

Again, the only item green was the healthy female holly.

I have replied back asking for a phone number so I can speak to someone. Based on what I have read here, I anticipate reaching someone one the phone will be a difficult process. Sigh.

One thing I must mention however, is that I was sent some "gift" items, which was a very sweet surprise- 3 glad bulbs, 3 healthy balloon flower tubers, and 3 strawberry plants.
Negative drock622
JACKSON SPRINGS, NC
April 29, 2014
This is ridiculous, I am furious, it has been two weeks, over two weeks since I placed my order and have received nothing, not an e-mail confirmation and notice of shipping, the deliverables, this is asinine. When I attempted to ascertain the status of such order, the representative, said I don't know what's going on with your order, thatís great customer service, whom cannot even tell me what is the status of the order and what the holdup is. Further, when I attempt to get in touch with you today, your phone lines are busy for over an hour and a half. I formally request my items to be expeditiously shipped. if no e-mail confirmation is not received within 24 hours and items are not received prior to the EOW, i will be forced to file a complaints with multiple consumer complaint boards. Further, if a shipping confirmation is not received within 24 hours I will be contacting my credit company to challenge the charge as no product has been received.
Neutral deweyduo
Haslet, TX
April 28, 2014
Posted on April 8, 2014, updated April 28, 2014
I am extremely dissatisfied with the service I have received from Direct Gardening thus far. To be fair, I looked at all of the reviews of the company - both positive and negative - prior to placing an order with them and decided to take a chance. I have placed orders with other online nurseries in the past and have always had a good experience. Unfortunately, at this point I am left to believe that the negative reviews I read are all correct.

I placed my order with Direct Gardening on 3/21/14, which consisted of the following:

1 Rose, Blue Moon
1 Bloodroot
1 Rose, Victory
1 Campanula, Takion Blue
4 Carnations, Mixed

I spent $132.59 after adding in $9.99 for shipping. The confirmation email I received stated that I should "allow 1-2 weeks for [my] order to be processed", which was perfectly fine. Although this statement indicates that two weeks should be the maximum amount of time that Direct Gardening should need to process my order, I do understand that this is a busy season and that delays can sometimes happen that are outside of a company's control. With that said, I have become exceedingly dissatisfied with Direct Gardening after attempting to get a status update. At the very least, a customer deserves that much.

After reading many reviews, I was not surprised that I had not received any kind of shipping confirmation. It seems this is normal. I am, however, excited to receive my plants and get them in the ground... so at the two week mark I began my attempts to contact the company to find out the status of my order. Not because I was dissatisfied, but just for planning's sake. Not only would it be helpful for me to be able to estimate the arrival so I know when to begin preparing the ground, but I also want to make sure that the plants will not sit outside for too long in the box after being delivered. Spring in Texas means that today it might be 50 degrees but tomorrow it might be 90. I want my plants to have the best chance of success.

So, I sent a casual email requesting an update. After three days, I received no response. My second attempt was to call all of the multiple phone numbers listed on the company's website, receiving a busy signal for each and every one. Third, I sent another email through the contact form on their website. Finally, I attempted to call again and did get someone on the phone.

The customer service representative was rude and unhelpful. I gave her my order information and requested to know the status. She spoke to me like I was a child, throwing around dates, talking in circles, and making me feel like I was crazy for giving them a call. She indicated that it had not even been two weeks since I placed my order, but once I was able to process through all the words she was throwing around I let her know that it most certainly had been over two weeks since my order was placed. She then informed me that 1-2 weeks was "average".

Okay. I get that. Although that's not what my order confirmation led me to believe, I can accept that 1-2 weeks is average. But, when I asked what the status was on the order, she simply said it was in processing but she didn't have any additional information. She could not give me an approximation for shipping, had no idea what was holding up the order, and had no interest in giving me any additional information. I asked if there was someone else I could speak with and was told that yes, she could give me to someone else but they would tell me the exact same thing. There was no additional information that could be provided. They had received the order and it was in processing. Period.

So, I requested to speak with a Supervisor. The customer service representative actually SIGHED, mumbled under her breath, and then put me on hold for a few minutes. The "Supervisor" came on the line and was no more helpful than his subordinate. I expressed my concern over the poor customer service, requested additional information as to the status of my order, and was shut down from every angle. The "Supervisor" seemed incapable of speech except to make the statement "I'm sorry you feel that way" in a very monotone voice. I actually feel sorry for him, because if they honestly have no access to any order information and cannot give customers any information I am certain that he fields many of my type of phone call every single day. I would be exhausted and disinterested, too.

The bottom line? At this point, my credit card has been charged and I have no assurances whatsoever that my order will be shipped to me any time soon. No one could tell me when to expect my order to ship, except that weather and plant availability affect the shipping time. Duh. From the information provided to me by the customer service rep and her "Supervisor", I could expect my order to ship any time between now and... when I die? Apparently there is no timeline. It will just ship at some point in the future. At the very least, it would be helpful to know whether my order is held up by the weather or a specific plant that they do not currently have in stock. Perhaps then I could make the decision of whether or not to wait for said plant.

The prices of this company are highly desirable; however, I am sorely disappointed at their lack of ability to know anything about what is going on with a customer's order. Lower prices are not an excuse to exhibit poor customer service and in the future I will be taking my money elsewhere. I would rather pay a little more and know that I am going to be taken care of than to pay less and to be treated like receiving my business doesn't matter in the least. Poorly done, Direct Gardening.
On April 28th, 2014, deweyduo changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

After posting my review here on Dave's Garden, I finally received a response from Direct Gardening that was actually close to helpful. I sent my order details and informed the representative that I did receive additional communication via email from an unidentified customer care representative who stated that my order was scheduled for "Spring Shipping". When I attempted to clarify exactly what that meant, I was told it should ship "at any time". These are awfully vague and aggravating terms that feel a lot like brush-off techniques, and I informed this new representative as such.

She responded back that their weather has been unpredictable and that they were awaiting arrival of the Smoke Trees in order to fulfill my order. She also offered the option to ship the Smoke Trees separately when they became available and to ship the rest of my order now. I sent her an email back to confirm, in writing, that I would not be charged extra for shipping if I chose to take that option. I finally received a response a full week later and only after I sent a follow up email threatening to contact my credit card company if I did not receive a tracking number within 24 hours.

The reason I am changing my review to neutral is because, after much grief, I did receive my plants and they all arrived in what I would consider to be decent condition. There were a couple of bulbs missing, but I can deal with that. Whether any of these plants will survive is still yet to be determined and I will not be ordering from this company again nor recommending it to friends and family; however, I did receive my plants as promised so I feel a negative review is no longer warranted.
Company representative comment on April 13, 2014:
On Apr 13, 2014 3:29 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customerís experience as we do take pride in our customer care. As many know the weather this year has been very unpredictable which has started our shipping later than usual. While it may be warm in your location we have to take into consideration the transit. We want to make sure the plants reach our customers in the best condition possible.

Negative dogshed
Stockton, MO
April 24, 2014
Posted on April 23, 2014, updated April 24, 2014
Posted on April 22, 2014, updated April 23, 2014
I have never left a negative for any company. I don't even tell anyone else that I don't like this company or that company. But I have had enough and not gonna take it anymore.

I have been a customer of DG for at least 15 years. Why at this point I don't know.

4/22/14:

I placed an order Oct 18th 2013 and have yet to see it. DG shows it delivered. Well it has yet to be delivered to me.

2/21/14: Placed an order and have yet to see that one.
3/1/14 placed an order and that one just arrived two weeks ago.
3/26/14 placed an order and have not seen that one.

It says on their website:
Please allow 1-2 weeks for your order to be processed. Seeds and Merchandise are normally shipped as soon as processing is completed.

I have been emailing them for the last month almost on a daily basis. Of course they do not answer for at least 48 hrs. When they do respond it is very vague and does not come close to answering the questions you have asked. Example: When will I see my order, When will my order ship. Calling them is almost a joke.

I don't mind the small plants or bare root items. I just cannot understand the total lack of customer care. I realize spring is a busy time for them, it is for me also.

I have placed orders with other companies since my orders with DG and have received them all. Those companies kept me informed as to when, why, and how. Also found them to be less expensive than DG.

Gardening and new plants are suppose to be fun and exciting. DG makes it frustrating and aggravating.

It is also very sad that they have this great business and choose to have a reputation as they do.

So order from DG just don't ever expect your orders today, tomorrow or the next day or maybe never. Sad, very sad.

I will update if needed.

On April 23rd, 2014, dogshed added the following:

4/22/14 My 3/26/14 order arrived. Almost a month getting it. What is funny I had just received another response from DG email saying my orders would ship when available. Glad I finally got this order. Plants were potted and were dry and broken.
I would like to add about another posters comment about idiots.
I have no problem with bare root plants or small sticks. In fact I prefer bare root and small. I don't like to complain, as it takes a lot of energy and time. Just don't take my money and then lose your memory. If you say 2 weeks processing don't turn it into 4 weeks without saying anything. I have to own my mistakes please own yours.

So we are still waiting on orders from: 2/21/14, 4/7/14, 4/11/14

On April 24th, 2014, dogshed added the following:

4/23/14: Order from 2/21/14 arrived today. So far that items look good. Good as being bare root and not broken. So maybe there is hope.
Negative eneref
Marietta, GA
April 22, 2014
DO NOT USE THIS SELLER.

I gave them a shot for some cheap plants (ground cover mostly), as they were having a sale, and I thought I'd give them a try, since there ARE some positive ratings here. Unfortunately, my roll of the dice was not any better than some here have seen.

The order took a while to process, but once it shipped, it didn't take too long to deliver. However, they sent me dead, dried up plants in plastic baggies. If I'd wanted dried Thyme, I'd have bought some at the grocery store.

I emailed their customer service and explained that, while some of the plants had arrived alive, none of the ground cover I ordered had. After a few days of waiting, I received a response saying that they send plants in 'dormant form,' and that if I give the plant 6 weeks to come back to life, it should be fine. This is a line. I'm not a neophyte at this, and I know dead plants when I see them. They told me that, if I wanted to send back the plants for a refund or replacement, I needed to include the shipping label from the original shipment.

They, of course, did not include a shipping label. The scrawled on plastic envelope in which my poor excuse for plants arrived is strangely label-free. I DID received a bunch of advertising material in along with my poorly packed and shipped plants, but I doubt that would qualify me for a return.

As I didn't spend too much money with them, I will just eat the cost and know that I will NEVER use this company again. It is absolutely not worth bothering with. Forewarned is forearmed.
Negative LanfrancoLeo
Harrisburg, PA
April 16, 2014
Some recent comments said that the negative review coming from idiots....I would agree if there was one negative comment over twenty or ten...BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE OF DIRECT GARDENING....
I ordered more than once from this company and from its supplier catalogs (Burgess and so on)....I encounter always the same problems ,that for semplicity I will list as bullet point:

Problem 1: some plant are kind of rooted cutting that will never come back to life no matter what you do....
I ordered several plants that no matter how much attention I gave were just incapable to survive for more than one month, and sadly I am talking about vigorous species such as: butterfly bush, honeysuckle and old fashion lilac. Who try to grow these plants at least once know how resistant are these species, and how easy to grow they are.... I received in middle spring these plant I gave the best sun exposure, I ammend the soil and water regularly....even the liliac at the beginning of the summer die .....

Problem # 2:
If you order bulbs be aware that you have 50% chance thet the bulb will never make to germinate.
I give my example: I ordered towering lily that although were not the variety that I wanted they grow nicely. same thing for the colocasia. Now I ordered a bunch of anemones, and around 30 ranunculus....NO ONE EVER emerged....the bulb were planted in early spring with some other bulbs (non direct gardening one, and cold sensitive ) the other bulb bloom profusely the direct gardening made a good compost....Same things for the freesia..form more than 20 just a couple emerged....

problem # 3: sometimes they forget to send you items...and you cannot do much!!!
I never received some items, like the orange mock that I ordered...they asked for the receive that I lost (althoug I have oreder number and anything else)....Partially my fold? probably, other company with the order number and electronic receive are able to help you not here not in my case...for 3 dollar of shrub they lost a custom that spent this year 100 dollar of shrubs in a another serious company...too bad fro them...

problem 4: the company often did not send the variety that you want
This is very irritating...this means that if you wish a particular variety for color matching purpose on you garden or for any other specific characteristic, you CANNOT trust direct gardening, I mention my personal experience:
example #1 I ordered blue girl rose, a hybrid tea super doubled flower with a cold mauve color, I received a horrible single petaled rose dark magenta of course miniature rose. You can very well image that if you reserve a spot for a hybrid of tea you want a relatively medium size bush, and not a micro plant that disappear on landscape....Not even mention that the rose was not healthy and since three year make one bloom or two during the entire season.
example #2 : towering anastasia lily..even worst..at least when they shipped the rose they told me that they replaced with another variety...In this case I grew up some lily that were not anastasia but lavon, completely different color (anastasia bright pink, lavon maroon-cream)...at least these bulbs were healthy (very rare case for this company).

With three large order that I made (50 dollar each one, that considering the low price that they offer was really a lots of plants) after three year I end up to still have: three forsythia and three towering lily over 150 $ of order....Horrible experience that I deserved, now I only order from high ranked garden watchdog company and guess what? I never had any issue...
If you are ordering I wish you good luck!!!
Positive jumpyfrog
Murphysboro, IL (Zone 6b)
April 15, 2014
After checking reviews on directgardening.com, I was unsure about ordering. There are so many bad reviews. It took longer to receive my order than I expected, so I contacted them to discuss it. They have very good customer service. They responded quickly and appropriately. Most of the bad reviews had to do with later than expected deliveries or condition of the plants. After thinking about the late delivery problems, I realized in most cases it was timing. When orders are placed at typical planting time, it takes longer to recieve them. They obviously have a lot of orders at that time, not to mention those that could not be sent out right away due to weather/climate. My order arrived about a month after I placed it, which was in March 2014. It's now April.

After considering the bad reviews about quality and having received my order, quite frankly I think a lot of people are idiots. The plants arrive dormant, as expected...not dead. The roots are in excellent condition and I expect them to grow well. Most of the plants are quite small, but at these prices, they can't afford to raise the plants for several years before sailing.

Please excuse my bluntness, but seriously people. Think before you complain. If you want large, fully grown, ready to bloom plant, buy somewhere else and pay 3 or 4 times the price or more.

Kudos directgardening.com
Negative coreym1945
Tewksbury, MA
April 7, 2014
I placed an order for $50 on 1/24/14 with Direct Garden. It was my first (and last) time using them. When plants started arriving from another company I ordered with (Michigan Bulb) a couple weeks ago I become curious of what my order status was with Direct Garden. I sent them a friendly email asking about it & got no reply. I sent another email & was told they have no record of me placing an order with them at all. They asked me if used another name or address. As if have several different legal names. Luckily I knew enough to save the confirmation email they sent me back in January with the order number & my contact info which was all correct. I have sent them 3 more emails in the past 8 business days with all the info they would need to "FIND" my order. I have yet to hear back from them of course. Obviously I am beyond upset with them at this point. After reading the complaints on this board I am going to request full refund & see what happens. It seems evident I well have to get on the phone & battle with them because they ignore my emails now. Three months have past & they weren't even aware I had an order?? Though they took my money right away & sent me a confirmation email?? That doesn't seem right. I think they have gone into straight rip off mode & more people can expect to have their orders "lost" rather then receiving dead plants & chasing them for replacements. I would stare clear of this place guys & girls. I am happy they "only" stole $50 from me after reading some of your horror stories. Wish I found this website sooner. DONT USE DIRECT GARDEN.COM!!
Company representative comment on April 13, 2014:
On Apr 13, 2014 3:31 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

Positive ronkeithmartin
SUCHES, GA
March 14, 2014
I ordered 24 canby thornless raspberry bare root plants last year in addition to other plants. for whatever reason about half the plants started sprouting and then died. i requested a replacement. recently i received two shipments of 12 canby raspberry plants each. i put them in pots inside due to the cold weather. i checked them a few days after planting and all of them are budding and leafing out. Direct Gardening was true to their word and i am very pleased with their replacement of my plants. i will order from them again.
Neutral rngibbons
Alma, AR
March 8, 2014
I made an order on 2/22/14 for 4 rose bushes, 2 blackberry bushes, 3 English lavender, and 2 weeping willows. I received the order today 3/8/14. Most everything I received was dormant, a few of them look to be just coming out of dormancy. I will plant them all tomorrow and update with either a positive or negative depending on how well these plants do.
Positive MsSassyplants
Cosby, TN (Zone 6b)
February 12, 2014
When I first got my shipment from Direct Gardening, I admit feeling a tad underwhelmed. The items were very small, and they did look rather dried out and dead, and they did have just a very sad looking little bit of damp paper towel on their roots, BUT, they roared to life.

I actually did not want them to come roaring to life, as it was a fall planting, but, it warmed up a bit and bam, my knockout roses and my Nanking cherries came out of dormancy and raring to go.

Now, I do not know if they will survive the subsequent Polar Vortex that followed that warm spell, but I do have to stand up for Direct Gardening and their "dried up ole twigs." My dried up ole twigs were absolutely viable, and I would order from them again. Even if the plants mentioned above do not survive the winter. I just might not order for fall planting again given this years experience. My Juneberry did not break dormancy, and I will not know until Spring 2014 if it is alive at all, but the reviews were so horrible I just felt I had to comment on the dead twig situation. Looks can be deceiving.
Negative seabar
Gainesville, FL
January 24, 2014
Posted on December 18, 2013, updated January 24, 2014
WARNING!!! DON'T buy form this company. They will send you dry straws in plastic bags. And don't believe their one year policy. I sent out my request in June and didn't get a single replacement till now. And your credit card companies have weaker power to protect you because the merchandises are living plants. DON'T BUY and DON'T believe their one year policy. They got my money, didn't send me replacement and they sent me a mail asking me to pay for the living plants immediately!!!!!!!! What a waste of time and money. This company is like a pile of dog shit. Don't STEP IN.
On January 24th, 2014, seabar added the following:

As I said in my previous complain I didn't get my money back though credit card dispute. This company got $279 in December last year. But this is not end of my miserable story. A person named "Carol Tarbox" sent me letters again and again ask me to pay $143.70 for those plants which were not dead when arrived. I just don't get why I should pay this extra $143.70 since you already got the full amount of money!!! Please stop harassing me!
On Dec 19, 2013 10:33 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customers experience. We do have a refund and replacement guarantee available. We have contacted this customer via D-mail to see how we may be of assistance.

Negative lsm1
Williamstown, MA (Zone 5a)
November 21, 2013
The only plus here are the prices, the cheapest around. However with coupons other sites will come close (e.g. Gurneys 25 dollars off). I've ordered about $500 dollars with them, many died and were difficult to replace because you need to send the label back and wait indefinitely for a replacement. You never know when things will be shipped. I had a daffodil bulb shipped in May!! (Surprisingly it made it and still blooms). They shipped me nanking cherry for Hansen's cherry and variegated hosta instead of the blue hosta I ordered. Summarizing I do not order from them anymore.
On Dec 19, 2013 10:28 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this problem. A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information.

Negative Desiree111
Montrose, MI
November 21, 2013
Buyers Beware! Ordered on 8/13/13, understanding that would be shipped in fall.
Emailed on 10/4 inquiring about purchases, company replied that the items had been shipped but should have been received by me. Company would trace delivery but I needed to verify address. 10/6/13 I emailed stating that address was correct and never had a problem with packages. 10/8 company would start the trace.
On 10/15/13 I wrote stating that I have yet to hear from them about items. On 10/16 the company said the order was damaged and unable to be delivered and asked if I wanted a refund. On 10/16 (same day) I requested a refund, I have RA and the cold weather does not set well with me or plants. 10/17 they replied my request would be forwarded to the appropriate department.
I had found Dave's Garden and read reviews and wished I had done so before ordering.
On 10/29 (12 days later) I wrote stating I had not heard back regarding my refund, and on 10/30 they replied to wait 1-2 weeks for my cancellation to be processed (remember it had been 12 days). On 11/12 I received a package of plants even after I was assured one month earlier they would be refunded. I emailed company that two of the packages were moldy and I did not want plants because it was too cold to plant now.
They replied that the order had been reshipped before they could process refund...REALLY, over a month had passed? They also told me I could keep in my fridge or return package with a written request for a refund...There game seems to be to wear one down and I don't believe a word they say. Buyers beware!

On Dec 19, 2013 10:26 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help resolve this problem.

Negative UngrichtS
Posted on November 2, 2013, updated November 2, 2013
Posted on October 30, 2013, updated November 2, 2013
Posted on October 21, 2013, updated October 30, 2013
Ordered from Direct Gardening and have been waiting very patiently to get products ordered. Ive called Customer service many times just to hear that my order has not been shipped. Called today very upset and requested to speak to a supervisior. spoke to supervisior and requested that my money be refunded. Was told that money can only be refunded when sent as a written request. The season is come to an end here and I see snow on the mountian tops here. Still no product and getting the run around by this company. Reps sound as they are just parrots as the responses are the same. "you order has not shipped yet but it will go out next week" Enough is enough. I would highly discourage anyone from ever purchasing from this company. Don't let the cheep prices are a bargan.
On October 30th, 2013, UngrichtS added the following:

Tue, October 29, 2013
10:07 AM
I have seen your recent post and wondered if I may be of some assistance. If you would provide me with your shipping name and address I would be happy to look into your account.

I look forward to your reply.

Wed, October 30, 2013
01:50 PM
After many communications with you I had to go to somewhere else and buy the product. I want a full refund for order ##34128726‏. The service you provide is UNBELIEVABLY INCOMPENTENT AND DOWN RIGHT RUDE. I will no longer do any form of business with you or any of your affilates. I will also sent this email and continue to post on and about your company and its practices until I receive a complete and full refund. Steven Ungricht

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pm/866814/#ixzz2jEjywHgC
On November 2nd, 2013, UngrichtS added the following:

Thu, October 31, 2013
02:02 PM
Steven,
I do show that your order has already been shipped and should arrive very soon if it has not already. If you no longer wish to keep the order our warranty does provide instructions for a refund--simply return the merchandise together with the ORIGINAL shipping label, with correct postage affixed, within 14-days of receipt. Please also include a brief letter of explanation, so we will know your wishes when the package is returned.

Please remember that these items can still be planted as long as your ground is not too frozen to dig.
If you do wish to return the package for a refund please let me know as I would be happy to assist.

Sat, November 2, 2013
12:16 PM
Received Package. I find it interesting that you have covered your ass by not submitting a date of shipping.
November 2, 2013 , 11:06 am

Delivered .

November 2, 2013 , 8:07 am

Arrival at Post Office .

Electronic Shipping Info Received

Your company has got to be the worst to deal with. INCOMPETENT PEOPLE. also the fact that you substituted what I ordered for lilies with a different variety is amazing. I will swallow this shipment and accept all that has come to me. However I guarantee that I WILL let people know what type of organization you are running. You will Never receive business from me and if I can help it from anyone I know. Wallow in that $ amount you received from me. As a person who is disabled and living on a very limited income it means a lot to me however im sure it is nothing to you. Steve

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/tools/mail/pm/866814/#ixzz2jVtg6bKC

On Oct 29, 2013 10:06 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

Positive gardenpamela
New Albany, OH
November 1, 2013
After MUCH online research about a particular colored rose I wanted but could not find locally, I made my first online live plant purchase with Direct Gardening. I could not be more pleased (and, frankly, surprised). They responded in a timely fashion to two emailed questions. The shipment arrived sooner than I anticipated. All plants were as expected and in good condition. And, they had included a "bonus" assortment of bulbs...a nice and welcomed touch. I highly recommend them.
Negative GmailMaster
Rochester, NY
October 9, 2013
Posted on October 8, 2013, updated October 9, 2013
Posted on October 3, 2013, updated October 8, 2013
Posted on September 30, 2013, updated October 3, 2013
Posted on September 25, 2013, updated September 30, 2013
On September 16th I placed an order with Direct Gardening though their website. The items requested are as follows: (1) North Star Dwarf Cherry, (2) Hansen's Bush Cherry (1) Blue Spruce and (1) .99 Tree Bargain. My total with shipping was about $25.

Unfortunately I did not look at the company reviews before I confirmed my purchase so now I am skeptical and decided to document my relations with Direct Gardening here for you all to see.

One thing I noticed while going through the comments here are that a lot of people are complaining that they received 'dead sticks'. I have been an avid gardener for a great majority of my life and have purchased from mail order catalogs more times than I can remember. These 'dead sticks' that people are complaining about are known as 'Bareroot'. This means the plant is not dead but in a dormant state. I believe this throws a lot of people off when they receive their plants. Now, the condition that these bareroot plants arrive in will be up for debate.

I have recorded a neutral rating so far and will change that as this ordering experience unfolds. One troubling thing has already occurred. Over the last few days my wife has asked me if the plants have shipped (as these are a gift for her) so I have tried to contact the company. I dialed the number given on their website (309) 662-7943 and it was busy. Called back later - it was busy. Needless to say over the last 3 days I ended up dialing them 31 times and it was busy every time except the last one. Neither of us were impressed. All that just for them to say it hasn't shipped and to give it another week. I also would like to note that the woman who picked up the phone did not sound like she knew anything about plants. I don't think that is the number to Direct Gardening's nursery or office. I'm guessing it was a call center that is contracted out.

In the mean time I have ordered other plants from different companies and they have already arrived even though I placed those orders after this one with direct gardening. I don't understand why this company takes so long.

Anyhow that is all I have to report at this time. I will be documenting this whole process and linking to my own pictures of the product when it is received. I will post links of the photos so you can see how it was shipped and what condition the plants arrived in. Check back later folks.

On September 30th, 2013, GmailMaster added the following:

I called Direct Gardening because today marks the end of the 2 weeks processing time that Direct Gardening stated when I ordered. Again, I called multiple times just to get a busy signal. When I finally got ahold of their call center representative all she had to say was that it hasn't shipped and they don't know when it will. She said that it depends on the availability of the plants. I asked if the plants were currently available to them and she had no idea.

I am confused why this company advertises items for sale that they may not have. Most other nursery sites will list items has available or not available till spring 2014. My experiance so far, along with the comments on this site (and comments about all their affiliate companies) makes me increasing conserned that my plants will take an unreasonable amount of time to receive and maybe be sickly when they finally get here.

I will update you again when I receive the plants, or more time passes and I contact the company again. If the plants are not shipped by Friday I will be changing my rating to Negative. By that time the enjoyment of ordering a gift for my wife will become more of a hastle than it should be.

When the plants do arrive I have a camera and measuring tape ready to measure and record all the plants to make sure they are the size described in their listing. I made sure to only get plants that clearly stated how large they will be upon arrival. All photos will be uploaded to Photobucket and I will post all the links here.

Lastly, I am concerned that if the plants arrive and are smaller than described on their website I will have to ship all the plants back (at my own expense) instead of them sending me free replacements immediantly. If that happens I already have the contact information for the BBB. If that would be the case they are using illegal false advirtising. This is why I will be documenting everything.
On October 3rd, 2013, GmailMaster added the following:

I called today to check the status of my order. Again it took several call attempts to get through to a representative, but to my enjoyment the order was shipped out on September 30th.

I was glad to see that Direct Gardening shipped my plants immediantly after they processed the order for 2 weeks. I have seen many compaints on here about their shipping times, but so far I have not experienced that. The package is in the hands of the carrier now and I will be looking forward to receiving it early next week.

I am pleased that it was shipped out right on the two week date. The representative said that shipping will take 7-10 days.
On October 8th, 2013, GmailMaster changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I received my order from Direct Garden today. I am changing my rating to Negative. Here is why.

The North Star Cherry was advertised as being shipped at 3-4ft. The Hansen's Bush Cherry 1 1/2-2ft and the Colorado Blue Spruce 1-2ft.

The North Star Cherry was just over 2 feet (26in with roots)!! This is false advertising. Literally lying about the size of the trees that they mail out. On closer inspections of its roots I noticed mold growing from the stem down to the roots. The roots are also speckled with mold. I cannot give anything but a negative rating if they don't provide me with a healthy bare root tree the size that I paid for. Quoting their website entry on North Star Cherries, "3-4' trees". Here is the link to that entry: http://goo.gl/yWPMZk

As I said earlier I am providing links to all the photos I took when I unwrapped and measured the plants.

(Copy and paste these links into the URL bar)
Here is the package that the plants arrived in:

Plants Together out of Bag:

North Star Cherry Twig:

Measuring the North Star Cherry Twig:

Mold on N. Star Cherry Roots x2:

Mold on Cherry Bush Roots x2:

I am not including the measuring photos of the Blue Spruce and Bush cherries as they are the correct size. Although the Blue Spruce was almost smushed flat when I removed it from the bag. Direct Gardening has VERY poor packaging. Trees from reputable nurseries arrive in a box with the roots wrapped up in wood chips and plastic.

The Cherry tree was $8.99 and is maybe worth .50 cents. It is not branched at all. It is literally a small twig with 3in of roots. I have ordered these trees from other nurseries this year and every single one had several branches and arrived at the accurate size. This tree is sad, pathetic and unacceptable.

To prove that the company is flat out
lying about mailing "3-4ft" cherry trees look at this picture:

The shipping bag is only 32 inches long so it is physically impossible for them to ship 3-4ft trees. The shipping bag would need to be at least 36in-48in to fit the trees they claim to sell.

Let this be the final word on Direct Gardening, Burgess, Four Seasons and all their other affiliates. Do not waste your money on this company.

I will be contacting the BBB tomorrow when their office is open. Their contact number is 309-688-3741. This company illegally false advertised their merchandise to me. I would never have paid $8.99 for a 2 foot twig I could snap with my pinky. I was expecting a 3-4ft healthy cherry. I did not receive that.

Lastly, it would cost more to send the plants back for a replacement than they are worth. (And I am tight on money right now due to being out of work after a surgery) So sending the plants back is not an option.
On October 9th, 2013, GmailMaster added the following:

I just got off the phone with Direct Gardening. After a while of explaining that the North Star Cherry was the wrong size the representative disagreed with me and said the trees could be as small as 1ft. I showed her that the web site clearly states it will be 3-4ft and I did not recieve that. She went I over and over that I need to send the tree back with a written request or plant it and get a replacement if it doesn't survive. I explained that due to a recent surgery I have been out of work and there is not enough money to send the tree back. I asked for a supervisor and she put me on hold to consult with him/her. I was not able to speak to the supervisor, but when the representative came back she said that I can just mail the shipping label back with a written request and they will replace the tree.

I was very polite (because it wasnt her fault) and confirmed that all I need to do is send back the shipping label with written request. She confirmed that is all I need to do, so that is what I will do today.

I will consider changing my Direct Gardening rating if they ship me the correct size tree.

I also confirmed that they will keep that shipping label on record for one year. I hope they do because I will no longer have the proof of purchase for the Cherry bushes and Blue spruce. If they do not survive I need to know that they can be replaced.
Company representative comment on October 15, 2013:
On Oct 15, 2013 1:28 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

A customer care representative has contact this customer for further information. We do have a 1 year replacement guarantee on all of our plants. If any item is received not as advertised we would be happy to issue replacement. We are happy to hear that the customer is taking advantage of this guarantee.

Negative fubar402
Brownlee Park, MI
October 4, 2013
I was VERY disappointed with this company. This was the first time I ever ordered at site for flowers and it will be my last. I made my order in April 2012. I waited and waited for my order before I finally called them. They told me that because it was so hot they would not send the order until it cooled off some. I bought that and waited. Finally in August 2012, I received them. They were packaged separately and were dry. Because this was a first for me, I was not sure how they were supposed to look, and I still don't, but not one of the plants that I ordered came back. I had to search all my records to figure out who it was I purchased from (I get a lot of emails from flower companies) and it took me a long time. When I finally found the one, I called. They told me I ordered them at a different time, my warranty was up, and that I needed this paper or that paper for proof of my order, all the while they are looking at my order on their screen !!!!!!! Bottom line....they would NOT do anything for me. I recommend this company to NO ONE!!!!!
Company representative comment on October 15, 2013:
On Oct 15, 2013 1:23 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help clear up any confusion.

Negative DoGooder
Hopkinton, MA (Zone 5b)
September 18, 2013
I have ordered from DirectGardening three times and have had success with some plants, but in general the plants are smaller and more sickly than plants I have gotten at other online stores. However, since the prices are so low I found that my total purchase was worth what I paid so that's why I ordered a second time. One time I ordered many asters and they arrived as tiny twigs covered with white mold (no leaves or any green), but I'm not the type to complain a lot so I didn't report that or ask for a refund. My items usually arrive quickly and so when I ordered a third time during the summer I expected my order to arrive within a few weeks.

Right after I ordered my purchase I called to confirm when my items were arriving and was told processing is slower in the summer but most items ordered in the summer arrive in summer. When I called later they said that nothing has shipped, they don't know if any of my items will be available, and they don't know when they will arrive but I will probably have to wait a few months. Since I live in a cold climate I had to plant soon so I canceled my order. They responded that my items will ship in a few days but after waiting about five days I called and they said the items never shipped so I wasn't told the truth.

I didn't want to do business with this company anymore because of the dead plants they gave me and the numerous falsehoods and the nasty tone of voice some of the representatives had, so I canceled my order. I had to keep calling and emailing to get a confirmation of my cancellation because they kept stonewalling me, but finally they said I would get a refund in 1-2 weeks. Over a week later I received some of the items and I called to make sure I was getting the refund, but I was told they won't honor my cancellation because they sent me the package, so I told them they confirmed that my package hadn't been sent at the time I placed my order. The manager said that the package was mailed to me two days after I cancelled my order and when I asked him why they shipped my package when I told them I didn't want it he didn't apologize but told me that I had to ship the items back if I wanted my money back.

I don't trust them to give me my money back so I will keep this last shipment that I paid over $80 for. The conifer trees were individual twigs with some green leaves, and there were some sad-looking plants. I will do the best with what I have. However, I won't be shopping at DirectGardening any more.
Company representative comment on September 19, 2013:
On Sep 19, 2013 8:20 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customerís experience as we do take pride in our customer care. We do have both a refund and a replacement guarantee which is clearly posted on our website and we stand behind them.

Positive greenegg21
Marion, IN
September 14, 2013
Posted on June 13, 2013, updated September 15, 2013
I love the bareroot trees Iordered. Yes they look like a bunch of dead stick with roots when they arrive, but I removed them immediatly from the bag and spritzed the roots and wrapped the roots back up in plastic. Then soaked for about 4 hrs in water before I planted. They are already waking up and its only been a week. The ground cover appered DOA (but planted just to make sure)but Ill just wait till next spring to make sure everything makes it before asking for a replacement. I will be ordering more trees next year. You can't beat the quality and size for the price!
On September 14th, 2013, greenegg21 added the following:

Placed my second order with this company(I didnt want to wait till next year) and Im satisfied with the trees I received. One of my crimson king maples already have leaves, I didnt expect anything in this order to wake up till next spring.

The poplar trees I ordered are thriving.

As for my first order the walk on me did not survive, the 2 redbuds did nothing and one of the mock orange didnt make it. About a 85% survival rate for the entire 1st order. I rate that pretty good and I will just do as the replacement policy states to save the shipping label and mail it back with a letter of request for said items.

But to boast about my lovely Rose of Sharon tree...it has been blooming the last 5 weeks and everyone compliments me on it!

I dont understand why there are so many negatives here. These are so simple to plant and success rates cant be perfect. I usually order from Stark bros but they dont have the selection and are over priced compared to Direct Gardening. I will repost next spring on the success of my 2nd order and any replacements!
Negative sleeping
Omaha, NE
September 10, 2013
I recently ordered about 30 raspberry plants and 4 blackberry plants from Direct Gardening and to my surprise they arrived on September 7th all thrown into the bag with nothing to keep the roots moist. Normally this wouldn't be a problem if they were shipped at the right time of year. September in Nebraska can be very hot and sure enough its been 90+ everyday for the last couple of weeks so much for the company watching the weather to ship at the right time. Out of the hundreds of raspberries I've order from many different companies these are by far the worst looking. They are a dry as can be no sign of green even when you scrap the bark and I trimmed some just looking for a sign they are going to live. To me they look like left overs from the fall 2012 harvest. So i figured I would go ahead and plant them anyway following the guidance of the company that bare root plants can be plant anytime of the year and I do believe that I can plant a dead stick anytime of the year however probably will not grow. One the same night that I order from direct gardening I also ordered from another company and got a polite email asking when I would like them delivered fall 2013 or spring 2014 the normal times of of the year to get plants to grow. I joined this site just to write this review and I plan on updating often as I will wait until spring and send back the shipping label as it states to get a replacement as I've already set aside this is one I'm not going to forget to get a replacement. One a side not the blackberries look very healthy to me.
Company representative comment on September 16, 2013:
On Sep 16, 2013 2:48 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

A customer care representative has contact this customer for further information. We do have a 1 year replacement guarantee on all of our plants and do hope that the customer takes advantage of this guarantee.

Negative rastgurlz1
Posted on July 31, 2013, updated August 2, 2013
Posted on July 28, 2013, updated July 31, 2013
Posted on July 26, 2013, updated July 28, 2013
Posted on July 25, 2013, updated July 26, 2013
I ordered 80 hybrid willows and a ton of plants. They arrived on June 10th crushed. Out of almost 100 items two things lived. I sent them all back with the shipping label. I called to let them know and the woman talked me into using the credit towards my thujas I wanted to order. This was back in the middle of june. To make a terrible story short I called everyday after they received my package to see when the new trees would ship. I even had tracking on the package. NO ONE KNEW ANYTHING. It took 3 full weeks for them to even see that I had returned anything. AND the entire time every single person I spoke to had no Idea what was going on. They said they were a call center and had no clue about the actual company. I called every single day. Today ( A FULL MONTH LATER) a woman told me that now my trees will not ship until October. WHAT??? I have been getting the run around for a full month. This is the worst company in the world. I mean that. I found out today that the call center also answers phones for 48 different companies and has no idea about anything to do with direct gardening. They have a catalog in front of them and they can see what is in there to help with orders. Then they literally go on the website ( the same website you do when you order) and they place the order for you. They have no one to call to ask any questions at all. NO ONE. The woman said in her 10 years working at that call center she had never saw nor spoke to anyone in direct gardening or the House of Wesley. That all complaints get HAND WROTE AND MAILED to the office. That is why it takes months and months. I almost died. I am being honest here this is by far the worst company i have ever dealt with. I asked for a refund today. The woman said she would hand write a request and I should call back in two or three weeks to see if they processed it. This will be over 8 weeks at this point. The customer service with this company is shameful. And if anyone on here says anything positive they are crazy. Unless you place an order and you are the 1 in 100 who gets good plants at the time they state. I looked at the Better business bureau and it is SO BAD. I wish I had read it first. 100s of people with the same issue as me. Dead plants, crushed plants, waiting for months and months, no one knowing what the heck is going on. This company has cheap prices for a reason. THEY ARE NOT WORTH A PENNY. They are overpriced if you ask me. You have a 20% chance that your plants will grow. (from what I have read on tons of websites and the bbb) That is my opinion. But it is based on weeks of investigation into this company. I currently have a case with the BBB. To help me get my money back. Do not order from this company by any means.
On July 26th, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

I called today and was transfered to Ruthie, a supervisor. I was told by her that she would personally call me when my trees ship which WILL be next week. Ok I am NOT holding my breath. I will believe it when I see it. I now have to pray these all live. I will be very happy if they get them out to me and they all live. If one dies it is going to throw off my entire project. However lets be real. Crossed fingers. These trees are NOT cheap. Even for direct gardening. They are over $6 a tree. I ordered 40. So I really do expect good quality. I did not pay a dollar or two a tree. I was going to cancel and go through arbor day for cheaper, but lets see what happens. I will update when I get them (finally) and let you all know if they grow ect.
On July 28th, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

I still have not heard anything about my trees shipping. She said next week, which starts tomorrow. So I will let you know what happens. I started getting the soil ready, again, which is no small project considering it is a 200 foot hedge. My entire side yard. So fingers crossed they will be here soon.
On July 31st, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

I have not received any phone call or email or anything from Direct Gardening. The BBB case that I have open they have not responded to. They have until tomorrow August 1st to respond. If they mailed me a response then I guess I will get it in a few days. But this has been going on since June 24th. I called them today and as of today the order has still not shipped and it is still incorrect in their system. 6 weeks with no phone call no email nothing. The HUGE issue with this company is communication. Everything must be hand wrote. So for example if you call and cancel your order the person at the call center has to print the order and write up a cancellation. NOW that takes 2 weeks to process. If within those two weeks your order ships guess what, now you are paying a non refundable shipping and handling fee, PLUS you have to pay to ship back all the plants and now you have to wait weeks for your money. Or in my situation I have called a million times and every time a new person tells me they will "write it Up AGAIN" but that it takes 2 weeks for it to get into processing and then another two weeks once it is in there. I shipped back my shipping label and trees and it took almost three full weeks AFTER it was confirmed delivered to them to "get into their system" for processing. Now its been in there for three weeks. So once it arrived to them it took them 3 weeks to even put it in the system. NOW I had called everyday. Each day the operator said they had no idea if they had received the return. That it was not in the system and there is no one to call at any home office. This was told to me by at least 10 different "call center" people. Also learned that this call center answers phones for a ton of different companies. It is just an answering service. Like when you call your dr after hours. A bunch of people answering calls from companies that have no clue what they are doing. They can not call the owner or anyone. They just have to say, "call back in a few weeks and it should be in the system". They can not answer any real questions at all. If just one "real" person from this company had called me I would have been happy. Even if it was going to take a few weeks to get the delivery. If someone just called me and said "Hi we got your return and will be processing it. The ship date should be in a few weeks". THATS it. I would have been happy. Or if when I called someone knew what on earth was going on with my order. This is all lack of care for your customer and a terrible system. If your company cared about any of your customers you would not have this type of system. I encourage everyone to read the BBB site about this company. Sadly over half of the complaints are people like me. The same issues. The other half is dead plants. Which I will be honest since it is cheap and you have a replacement guarantee I can accept a few not making it and you sending them back out. I am ok with that. BUT when that happens you end up in this nightmare that I am in its not fair.
On August 2nd, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

OK this is what happened and I know some of you are going to think it is a joke but I have the letters to prove it. I get a phone call and they tell me that they are giving me a refund but it is going to take several weeks. Within ONE hour they send a response to the BBB saying that they are CHARGING me $106 and sending the thujas at "the proper planting time". This is all within an hour. On top of that the dollar amount they said they were charging me was $50 higher than it should have been. So I call the BBB and I tell them that the letter they just received is the opposite of what they had JUST called and told me. To make a long painful story short I just got a letter from the company telling me that they are now doing a refund. So I call the company and they tell me that it may take several weeks before I see the funds. Ok so I am not holding my breath. So now here we are in August and I have no trees or products and they still have my money. AHHH. I am sick to death with this company. It gets better the letter they send the BBB said this we charge her card $106 and they will be shipped at proper planting time. THATS IT. Not an apology NOTHING. They letter looked like the BBB and I were bothering them. I literally said, "enclosed is a letter that we feel is self explanatory" WHAT? I could not believe it. They are the ones being bothered?? I did find out that their is a new owner. 3 years ago I guess the daughter took over the company. That is what the lady there told me. So she has had this company only 3 years and in that time the company has, in my opinion, went to crap. If you look all of these issues with this company has been in the past three years. Before that nothing. Anyway if you want to save money go to Arbor Day. They have great trees. I know it is tempting with Direct Gardening pricing, but trust me when I tell you it is not worth it. (In my opinion) Throw your money out your window. Its the same thing.
On August 7th, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

I wish I could say I was kidding but Direct Gardening now charged my card $106. Then they sent me a letter that I am getting a refund of $135 and $106. My original order was $176. So they are keeping $40 for what?? Not to mention they charged me $106 for no reason at all. So now I am fighting for that money back and still waiting for a refund from the first charge and now the second.
On August 14th, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

I have still not received the refund.
On August 24th, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

It has been one of the longest ordeals of my life with this company. I sent an email today to see if someone would check into my refund. On august 2nd they said they were giving me a full refund. It is 3 full weeks later.
On August 30th, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

credit has went through.
On August 31st, 2013, rastgurlz1 added the following:

In all fairness to this company they did indeed issue my refund in the beginning of august. It took Discover forever to actually show the credit. I would like to add that I am so upset with this company. I WANT TO ORDER FROM YOU. You have the cheapest prices anywhere. I spend thousands of dollars a year on trees ect. I love your selection. The hydranga bushes that were not crushed have grown beautifully. The main problem with your company is COMMUNICATION. No one knows anything. I went through such a nightmare. If you had a better system it would make such a difference.
Company representative comment on September 3, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 2:40 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customers experience. We do have a refund and replacement guarantee available. We have contacted this customer via D-mail to see how we may be of further assistance.

On Sep 3, 2013 3:37 PM, Direct Gardening added:

We received an order from this customer on 06-05-13 and the order was shipped on 06-10-13. We have no record of an order from mid-April. The customer had said she was charged for this order, but after repeated requests has not provided any further information or proof of purchase. The customer has spoken with numerous supervisors here at the nursery despite her statements to the contrary. After her initial replacement request was received, the customer changed her mind several times about what she wanted. In a 7-26-13 phone call, she requested additional items totaling $160 which was charged at her request. The current version of the replacement and additional items was ready to ship on 8-01-13, but we contacted her because we noticed that her postings differed from her phone call and indicated she wanted a refund. A refund was issued to the customer on 08-01-13 and a letter was sent to her 8-02-13 informing her of this fact.

Positive Cshewlett
Deatsville, AL
August 23, 2013
Posted on August 3, 2013, updated August 23, 2013
Posted on July 30, 2013, updated August 3, 2013
This was not a good experience, simply because over half of my order died (there is a difference between 'dormant' and 'so dead it is crispy') and parts were not what I ordered.

100 Walk on me thyme - not one survived.
60 vinca minor - roughly 20 survived
3 Maria Stern roses - should be an orange bloom. They sent three pink double knockout roses that were listed as Maria Stern on the shipping label. Two of the three were gifts. Imagine my embarrassment when the intended gift was for Father's Day as part of a design to include his alma maters color bloomed pink instead. Sorry dad!

The shipping time was great and I'm sure if I tried to send it back they would have complied, but I took the time to select, order, pay for, and plant them. I'm not collecting it all and sending it back. Way too much of a hassle. Lesson learned.

On August 3rd, 2013, Cshewlett changed the rating from negative to positive and added the following:

Customer service did reach out to me regarding my order. I'm pretty impressed that they search out their reviews and proactively make efforts to make unsatisfied customers happy. I was informed that not only do I not have to return the dead plants but I also am not required to return anything sent to me in error.

The integrity alone is reason enough for me to change my rating from negative to positive. I look forward to my replacements and ordering from them for my fall bulbs!
On August 23rd, 2013, Cshewlett added the following:

Today I received my replacement plants :

Vinca and Thyme look MUCH healthier on this delivery. Bare roots look good too. Headed to dad's tomorrow to remove his pink rose bush and replace with orange! VERY happy.
Company representative comment on August 3, 2013:
On Aug 3, 2013 11:01 AM, Direct Gardening responded with:

A customer care representative has contact this customer for further information. We do have a 1 year replacement guarantee on all of our plants and do hope that the customer takes advantage of this guarantee as we DO NOT require the plants be returned when requesting replacement.

Negative prentbon
Tacoma, WA
August 13, 2013
Last June, 2012, I ordered 2 red brugmansia. I kept one and gave another to a friend/avid gardener. The sticks we received were very small but very alive. We both grew and then babied and held over in the winter, these two sticks. Both survived the winter (I'm in the PNW) by putting them in a garage. We were elated! And then just 3 weeks ago they bloomed. We were waiting with anticipation having managed to keep the sticks alive. Mine was white and my friend's was yellow...not red. I took a picture of mine and sent it to Direct Gardening with the date purchased. The reply was that the one year guarantee might not be honored and I was to send them a picture and copy of the invoice. Not happy. I did send the picture and I did give them the date of purchase. I had assumed they kept customer records. Not worth any more extra effort on my part.
I was not sent what I ordered and there wasn't any way these sticks could have bloomed within the year long guarantee. Disappointed in product and lack of customer service.
Negative kasullivan
Virginia Beach, VA
August 13, 2013
Horrible, shameful customer service. They will not abide by their stated guarantee and refund our money or send us new plants depsite e-mails and calls. So, basically, we lost our money on this company.

We had ordered a hummingbird garden in June and the plants arrived fetid and dank, clearly having been delayed in shipment. But, we couldn't get a refund as it had been over 14 days due to the time the package was in the mail and not finding it's way to us.

We would have been fine w/new plants but they advised us to plant them and wait 6 weeks. Shocker, nothing grew. But still no new plants or refund and now it is August. They send the same deflecting messages over and over.

We went through every step that they required including mailing back the paperwork that came with the plants. But no refund. THEY DO NOT HONOR THEIR GUARANTEE. They clearly hope that you will lose patience and let your money go with the 6 week delay. Do not use this company!!!!!!!
Negative mmarone
Heath, TX
July 22, 2013
Last year was the 3rd time we had ordered from Direct Gardening.

You think we would have learned from the previous orders, but we really wanted some English Walnut trees.(They lure you in with the cheap prices)

!st - instead of English Walnuts they sent sent Almond Trees. We planted and nothing! The were dead. The only plant that lived from the order was a rose bush.

Next we sent the label back and asked for a replacement for the dead Almond trees- we requested the Walnut trees we order.

After 6 weeks and no answer - I emailed the company when the replacements would be shipped. A bag arrives a few weeks later.

It arrived at the end of June in the Texas Heat - thrown in a bag, no moisture around the roots, a barely 1 foot stick that was dead on arrival. Who knows it may have been dead when they threw it in the bag.

The company stands behind nothing they sell.

If you want a quality products check out gurneys, or even ebay.

I have over an acre of plants and trees that I have planted over the last 4 years, and never had a problem like Direct Gardening plants.
Company representative comment on July 30, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 2:33 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

Negative jobrandon
Yadkinville, NC
July 20, 2013
I placed an order for over $300 as I have built a new house- well over 2 or 3 months ago. I have rcv'd 2 shipments and still have not got 1/3 of what was ordered. A couple of the items have done very well so far but some did come broken and I was unable to rehabilitate. I am waiting to see how every thing does before I send the shipping label to get these items replaced. Some items were very unhealthy and never took. I have contacted a couple times to find out about the rest of my order and have rcvd no response other than an automated email. I wish I had read these reviews previously. If someone would answer my questions from the company I would feel better.
Company representative comment on July 30, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 2:32 PM, Direct Gardening responded with:

Positive yofrendonna
Newport, MI (Zone 6b)
June 20, 2013
Posted on June 12, 2013, updated June 20, 2013
On May 22 2013 I ordered 60 Privet Hedges, 2 Burning Bushes and 2 Rose Of Sharon Trees. I received these items in the time frame that was described on the website (2 weeks). I read the enclosed literature which told me to soak the hedges in water overnight. The bushes and the trees had a root ball and soil, so I immediately placed them in a pot of soil. I planted the hedges the following afternoon. I followed the enclosed instructions. By June 9th All of the plants had new leaf buds! Not only did I have my landscaping in both my front and back yards finished, but I saved a ton of money by only spending $40.
I have seen the comments on the Better Business Bureau's website and because of all the negativity, I almost didn't purchase from this website. I am glad I ignored the negativity and saved a bundle. If people would read the information available on the website where it says that plants are sent "dormant" and "bare root" , maybe then look up what that means, they would know what to expect. Odds are the plants will look dead, but the website even shows you how to do a "scratch test" . My point is: before you write a negative comment....READ before you purchase. I received exactly what the website said they would send. I figured that they offered a 1 year guarantee..I can't go wrong. I saved my shipping labels and every little tag on every plant inside the bag even though my plants are healthy and growing well. the website clearly says to save the shipping labels.
I will make sure that all my fellow gardeners know to ignore the negative comments that were made because someone didn't read that they were not getting a full grown plant or that dormant plants are just that...dormant, not dead. The pictures of fully grown plants are supposed to give you an idea of what the plant will look like when its grown. READ before you buy and don't blame the company if you choose not to read. What do you expect for these great prices? Your negative comments are ruining the bargains for those of us who follow instructions. I also posted on BBB's website.
On June 20th, 2013, yofrendonna added the following:

My Hedges have been in the ground for about 2 weeks. They are already about a foot tall and doing great.