The scoop on 'House of Wesley'

House of Wesley

1704 Morrissey Drive
Bloomington, Illinois 61704 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

» Like them on Facebook
This company is affiliated with Burgess Seed

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Negative Ralph64
Bessemer City, NC
June 17, 2013
This goes out to fellow gardeners, who value their plants as much as I do and orders from mail order plant catalogs frequently: This past spring I ordered appr. $100 worth of plants from House of Wesley. It took forever before I finally got my order in the mail! When I received the plants, they were in such bad shape, I did not figure anything would live the bushes that I received were twigs, the tree that I ordered was a dead stick, the banana plant leaves were all dead, and the Japanese grass was dead and none existent. Even though the plants were in such bad shape, I planted them anyway. I took pictures of the package when I got it in the mail, took pictures that very same day after they were planted, and took pictures of them a few days ago. Some of the plants hung on and survived, while the fruit cocktail tree and the Japanese forest grass did not make it. I just got off the phone with customer service and I got the runaround of my life! The girl told me that since it had been over 14 days that I could not get a refund and if I wanted replacements that I had to write a letter (what company does that for refunds!?!?) and explain what was wrong with my plants in detail and why I want a replacement (which I want A REFUND) and they would send new ones. Well if they are anything like what I got from them this time, I don't want them sending me dead stuff again and me have to go thru this mess again!!! I'm warning you people ... DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY, BECAUSE THEY WILL SCAM YOU OUT OF YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!! I'm very dissatisfied with this company and will not waste my time or money on The House Of Wesley ever again!!! There catalogs will go in the trash or used to start a fire; that's all they are good for! Oh, Grace Avery, manager of H.O.W, you WILL receive a nasty letter from me and I will push this as far as it takes to get my money back!
Company representative comment on July 30, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 2:45 PM, House of Wesley responded with:

A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help resolve this problem.

Negative jmorris555
Halfway House, PA
June 10, 2013
placed an order for plants last spring; some arrived in good condition, but most were moldy and slimy. very disappointing since it took eons for my order to arrive. contacted customer service and after several calls and mailings; i was told i was past my 14 day refund time; was sent a merchandise credit to use this year. i placed an order, which again took forever to get.
guess what?????? plants are in worse condition than last year's order. being a fool that i am, i planted them anyway. now i have five pots of dead sticks..... what's the point????? feeling very ripped off at this point, as i have no recourse. i give this whole fiasco and this lousy company an "F"
Positive pinusresinosa
North Branch, MN
May 18, 2013
Posted on May 17, 2013, updated May 18, 2013
I ordered from this company about a month ago after going through reviews with a fine toothed comb. I didn't expect to get my order super fast, but since I ordered early, that was fine with me. We bought a property that needs some tlc, trees, shrubs and such, and I was looking for some good, cheap stuff to plant around.

I was jumpy, so I've spent the last two weeks or so calling them to check on my order. My calls were always answered, and the person on the line was always kind and helpful.

My order arrived this week in two installments, packed in green plastic. Everything that was a tree or shrub (except two magnolias) were shipped bare root. They look pathetic, but they were in great condition. I have the shrubs and trees sitting outdoors in a bucket with water, and most everything is already budding out like they should, waking up from their dormant state. I'm going to get them in the ground today.

About 100 bucks for a LOT of trees and shrubs, mostly all good native choices that are hardy and pretty much landscape staples in my opinion- some I ordered were luxuries like some grapes and such. I got a great deal! I also got some irises, a Thailand giant colocasia (for less than ten bucks, that's awesome!) , some ornamental bananas, and other stuff that I've been wanting for a long time but haven't purchased because I was afraid of the prices. Everything looked understandably beat up from being shipped, but everything looked good, smelled good, and was in great shape where it counted- in the roots, in the sizes of things, etc.

I even got some freebie bulbs- spider lilies- oh, and some tomato seeds.

So, I'd say that if you know what to expect when mail ordering plant material and are willing to wait a little while, you'll get a great deal from this company. They're probably busy and short staffed, which explains the slow ship time, but I assume that what they save in operation costs they pass onto their customers, which is why so much of their stock is so cheap.

I recommend this company.
On May 18th, 2013, pinusresinosa added the following:

I've been going through these comments lately because I'm troubled by what I am reading, so I wanted to lay this out there, in case anyone new to House of Wesley or any of their other names for the same company (Direct Gardening, Burgess, etc). Please, read this.

They ship trees and shrubs, like most mail order operations do, as BARE ROOT plants. When you get the plants in the mail, they literally look like pathetic little sticks with some roots on them. THIS IS NORMAL. These are prepared, dormant bare root plants, and the reason they do this is because it's easy on the plant to be packaged and shipped as a dormant stick, not as a full flowering or leafed out shrub/tree. Think about it for a minute. Do you really think that a totally leafed out, flowered out, or awake plant is doing to arrive in decent shape or not be beat up in the mail? No. That's why they ship bare root.

This company also sends out a really good instruction booklet with instructions on how to treat and plant all of their stock, so your plants that you bought come with instructions with every order.

Some people are demanding that they have single bulbs replaced is standard procedure, it's not. They will replace a single bulb out of a package of ten, but don't you think that's a little unreasonable at the prices they charge for their stuff? Come on folks!

I love this company. The prices are great, the stuff is awesome. Selfishly, I hope that more people aren't happy with them in the future, because that keeps their prices down for folks like me. Not good for them, but fantastic for me. ;)

And, my order is all planted. My forsythias are already blooming, everything has swelling buds, green tips popping out of bulbs, and my banana has new growth already. It's only been a couple of days!

Company representative comment on May 28, 2013:
On May 28, 2013 1:36 PM, House of Wesley responded with:

Thank you for your post! We take pride in the fact that we can offer our customers such great product at wonderful prices! We look forward to having you as a customer for many years! Happy Gardening!

Positive waldox
April 19, 2013
after reading all the negetive comment on here i was worried about this company but since i got my plants and yes it took alittle longer than expected i ordered 2 trees 8 scrubs and 8ground cover plants it only cost me $20.00 i figured that if a couple plants lived i would be getting my moneys worth. they have been in the ground for about a week and im already seeing growth on all but 1 plant so im very pleased with my experience with this company and to you folks that are bad mouthing this company i think you need to order in early spring so things arent getting to hot during shipment.And you might want to educate yourself on the plants your buying before ordering at the wrong time of year:)
Company representative comment on May 28, 2013:
On May 28, 2013 1:33 PM, House of Wesley responded with:

Thank you for your post! We are happy to hear that you are pleased with your experience. Happy Gardening!

Negative ateagarden
Braintree, MA
March 24, 2013
I ordered several items from them, hey they had guarantees and told me everything was legit and fine. When I got the items they were not as described; very scrawny, tiny and barely alive. I felt sorry for these tiny plants! I planted them anyway and only one survived. I did everything they demanded from me for returns, then was informed they cant send me replacements because it was the wrong time of year. So when the right time of year came I wrote them, several times, asking them why they wont deliver the replacement plants. They slowly and begrudgingly, did finally send replacements.... moldy replacements that were rotten and slimy! They were too far gone for the compost heap! I wrote again asking to replace them. Oh too bad, it's past the year time guarantee!!!! It's our policy, ya know!!!! Never ever buy from them! I reported them to the BBB.
Company representative comment on April 11, 2013:
On Apr 11, 2013 1:38 PM, House of Wesley responded with:

We are sorry to hear of the problem with this customers order. A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information.

Negative mmknob
Loves Park, IL
December 1, 2012
House of Wesley - In the past I have ordered Dalias. The rhizomes are dried up and don't produce anything. I have complained (and sent them the dried up shipment back) just to be told it was too late for shipping anymore - season over. I ordered a certain color rose and received the wrong color once it bloomed. They would not do anything about it. I, too, have lost a lot of money through this company and the other names they send under. I have told them to stop sending me anymore catalogues to no avail. I don't want their JUNK or any part of these people!
Company representative comment on December 3, 2012:
On Dec 3, 2012 3:18 PM, House of Wesley responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customers experience. We do have a 1 year replacement guarantee on all of our plants and we do stand behind this guarantee. A customer care representative has contact this customer for further information.

On Dec 3, 2012 3:18 PM, House of Wesley added:

Negative mrspipes
Prospect, KY
November 7, 2012
NEVER have I experienced such a horrible, dishonest business. Found these crooks on an AMAZON site which somehow gave them some ligitamacy.
I have been robbed of almost $200.00 but will purse it
though every consumer protection avenue possible. I know by using the US Postal service they are commiting interstate mail fraud. IF YOU ARE ON THIS SITE BECAUSE YOU'VE BEEN ROBBED BY THEM...TAKE A NUMBER...or if you are looking for a reference before ordering BEWARE. They are crooks.
Company representative comment on November 14, 2012:
On Nov 14, 2012 12:50 PM, House of Wesley responded with:

Negative annedesautels
Seminole, FL
November 1, 2012
Posted on October 24, 2012, updated November 1, 2012
From the time a portion of my first order (three orders in total for close to $400) from Direct Gardening (House of Wesley) I have had issues with the quality of the plants and the ineffective customer service. After calls, emails and sending the required materials to have plants replaced (because the plants I received were in horrible condition and even after trying to coax them along for eight weeks never grew -) TWO TIMES! I have come to the conclusion that this company has no intention of honoring any of its guarantees. The first time my paperwork and mailing labels were returned (three weeks later) without any action of claim relief was because someone couldn't read my Word document and wanted the word document updated with a different color ink to say specifically how many items to be replaced. Okay - followed that to the letter, got all my materials back another three weeks later (!) saying I had to send a different mailing label for one missing item. What should have happened was a phone call to say, "hey we can go ahead and replace everything except item X, is that okay" but no, I have to send everything back for a THIRD TIME - which by now makes me wonder if I will even get my plants! I will send everything back with a note saying to replace everything but the item where I don't have a shipping label. In my opinion these guys seem to be crooks, or at minimum, not smart about customer service. I received plants sealed in plastic WITHIN PLASTIC during July and August - and most were dead, some were so molded they looked like the gook in a frig when you forget you've got bean sprouts in the crisper drawer for four months. Bad packaging, even worse customer service, and I am going to do research to find the Illinois consumer advocate and report this. BTW - calling to with a real customer support person is worse, I think the folks on the phone lines get points for being officious, rude and nasty.
On November 1st, 2012, annedesautels added the following:

Today, Nov. 1st - I got a brief message from Hannah in customer service asking for my address. We'll see what happens. At least if my items are replaced during this time of year, the plastic within plastic wrapping won't kill the plants. My concern is that I WANT THE ITEMS I ORIGINALLY ORDERED and hope that I will not get cheap(er) substitutes, especially on the roses and dahlias. I will post back and let readers know how House of Wesley handled this.
Company representative comment on October 31, 2012:
On Oct 31, 2012 8:48 AM, House of Wesley responded with:

Positive timonsgirl
Mount Prospect, IL
July 3, 2012
I know a lot of folks haven't been happy with this place but I had a wonderful experience with them.

I ordered 1 red weeping rose tree and 1 red tree peony.

They arrived when they were supposed to and were in good condition.

The tree peony is growing beautifully. The rose tree started showing growth almost immediately but I really didn't expect blooms the first year.

Here we are in July and the tree is covered in gorgeous red blooms. Dozens of them with more on the way to opening.

Considering the price I paid for these plants they far exceeded my expectations.

I can't comment on the other plants they offer but if you want a rose tree or tree peony I highly recommend them.
Negative megbrinson
Washington D.C.
May 31, 2012
Several plants arrived in poor shape--but the directions say that bareroot plants need several weeks to revive. Well they just died, and I didn't keep the (dirt covered) packing statements. When I emailed the company, they said they would accept a canceled check or credit card statement as proof of purchase, but they admit they have a record of the transaction, so why should I send them my bank or credit card information, especially after reading the reviews here? It seems designed to keep people from claiming the guarantee. I also let them know that rampant use of ALLCAPS in their emails seems rude. I hope it isn't on purpose.
Company representative comment on July 16, 2012:
On Jul 16, 2012 10:30 AM, House of Wesley responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this problem. A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information.

Positive gijain
Lincoln, NE
May 31, 2012
After reconstructing the landscape in my back yard I decided that a freedom red rose hedge was the perfect addition. I could not find this rose hedge in stock anywhere but HOW. Being a "virgin" if you will to mail order flowers I did not know how these rose hedges would come in.

I ordered these rose hedges prior to researching House of Wesley. And then I began to get worried when HOW debited the money out of my account but I did not have my roses within the week. Then I started researching the history of HOW.

After reading the negative comments on here I was terrified that I either would not receive my order or when I did receive it the roses would be worthless.

I finally received my roses....before the time HOW told me I would. After reading the directions and learning that these were supposed to take 6-8 weeks to show any sign of life I planted my roses. Here we are 3 WEEKS after planting and not only do I have new growth on my roses but the new growth has exceeded my expectations.

Thanks HOW for the wonderful product....I can't wait to see them in full bloom!
Negative moetsch123
Poolville
March 19, 2012
I recently ordered from House of Wesley and had problems with my order. I contacted them about the problem. In order to correct the problem with my initial order they insist I return the original label and thus forfeit my one year guarantee for the rest of the plants on that same order.

House of Wesley has a serious quality control problem. I will no longer do business with them again.

Here's a copy of my correspondence with them:
Hello. I am writing regarding a recent order I placed and received. The label says Package ID#: 122443853. There were several problems with this order:

1. I only received one package of 7820 Eye Tiger Dtch Iris. I
should have received two pacages for a total of 10 bulbs. Please send me the other 5 bulbs.

2. One of the 7820 Eye Tiger Dtch Iris bulbs was totally rotten and molded. Please send a replacement.

3. Concerning item # 5369 and 5389: each had a totally rotten bulb that was mush in my hand. Please send a replacement.

Thank you.

Matt
Positive Trook
Piperton, TN
December 24, 2011
Posted on December 24, 2011, updated December 24, 2011
House of Wesley and sister companies

Hello all, I have been ordering from the company and the affiliates for about 3 years now. Just a few comments, so bear with me most of the issues could be mail delivery. However, regarding the plants, In many cases you just have to read carefully whether you are receiving a plant or a barefoot. The companies provide you with very detailed planting guides for various plants, bare roots and bulbs, in addition to preparation of the product and the soil. In the few instances that I had a plant that did not thrive, all of them not only sent me replacements, but also a beautiful plant or bulbs as a bonus thank you. In a few cases where a live plant or rose barefoot was moldy or dead, it was the darn post office or mail delivery. Don't forget folks, the postal service has returned to "snail mail" no wonder they are bankrupt.
I ordered a lot of things on line and the USPS is by far the worst, broken, damaged or delayed delivery. I always request House of Wesley and the affiliates to use FED-EX or UPS since 2010. The tiny extra cost is well worth it. HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLRM SINCE. I am very happy with my products and services.
On December 24th, 2011, Trook added the following:

It is important that you save the invoice on the bag, that is your receipt. I know some of you get frustrated with your refund or replacement request, but if you abide by their policy, they are happy to oblige. Also if ordering by phone or Internet, you can check availability of specific plants. Yes, the normal order processing is 2weeks, but some plants are not or will not be available until later in the season. I find you can always get better customer service with more sugar than vinegar.
Negative stonewall69
Benton, ME
November 18, 2011
House of Wesley, DO NOT DO BUSINESS with them, unless you want aggrevation, getting ripped off, and only getting some money back or nothing at all.
I placed an order for tacca "bat flower" they said they sent them in june, the postman said they did not. when I called them for replacement, I went threw a lot of crap about they mailed them on such a date, when I asked for them to send me proof, they can't.They finally gave in and said we will ship you out your order immediately.....so I am waiting, notified my postman, nothing..and then I recieve a letter stating that they are out of the plant and I will have to wait till next year to recieve the plants....I called up, talked with a nasty guy, and he stated that he get complaints all day long about the company but that doesn't bother them. Then he said he needed to go talk to a supervisor...came back and said he couldn't do anything, that if I wanted all my money back I would have to send the PostCard back that they sent me. Hung up very rudely...I sent the card back the next day and cancelled and said to send my $29.99 back to my credit card...when I called them after not hearring from them for 2 months, they said oh your money is being put back in your credit card account tommorrow.....Today I received a letter stating that here is $19.50 merchandise credit voucher to be spent purchasing something from these idiots, and it must all be spent on 1 plant, not devided among many plants...they stole the $10.00 for shipping, and they think after all this I want to buy from them again....I am filing with the Better Business on Monday and with the Attorney General from the state of Il. on this Company...I want my $29.99 back in my credit card and NEVER to do business with this Company or Burgess seed which they also own.This is an AWFUL way to do business and from all the NEGATIVE comments that are here, they have screwed the public way to much.......THIS IS HOW YOU CAN GET EVEN WITH THEM: in there book is an envelope that they pay the postage on....cut up small pieces of newspaper and fill the envelope up, keep filling, until the flap can only go down to be taped, you should be able to get at least 1" high inside the envelope filled...TAPE the envelope shut, and mail. when they get the envelope, its very heavy, and the post office charges them by the weight of the envelope, and this is expensive to them....If enough people do this, this will cost them alot in postage, and maybe they will finally wake up.....after all they stole from everyone of us, that put a negative comment here...
Negative jsb0318
Dixon, MO
July 28, 2011
I was amazed at the BAD BUSINESS experience. I ordered my plants on May 6, my credit card was charged by May 13, I finally received the first portion of my order the last week in June, after I asked them repeatedly to refund my credit card and cancel my order. I received the second portion of my order today, 80+ days after I placed my order. Come on, surely they can stock better than that. And most companies do not charge your credit card until the order is shipped. Really felt like this was more of a bait and switch operation. I haven't dealt with anyone this crooked in a while.

I sent an email yesterday explaining that my some of my plants died. Sent detailed information as to which ones never came up. I was told I would need to return the orginal receipt so they would have proof of purchase. Really???? The original receipt was glued on a very dirty plastic bag that I had no inclination to keep.

I would recommend NO ONE EVER DO BUSINESS with House of Wesley or their affiliates.
Negative snshnsmile3
Schuylerville, NY
June 11, 2011
I ordered from this company with the full expectation of waiting 2 weeks for my plants - after almost a month I had received no plants, and no notification that they had been shipped. I called the company - and was informed my order had not shipped - and would not be shipped for 'at least' another week. I was told I could not cancel on the phone - I had to by email or letter. I emailed, cancelled the order and requested the full refund. A week later I received my order, and a snippy email that my order was shipped they could not refund my money unless I sent the plants back. I was annoyed - I sent the plants back return receipt - at my expense. Once I knew they had the plants per USPS confirmation #, I waited 2 days, and then called the company. The first rep hung up on me. I called back; the second rep told me I should have attached a letter to the return stating I wanted a refund. At this point several emails and phone calls had gone to their company - I felt inconvenienced and told her so, and that I had not written a letter because I felt they had plenty of notice of my wishes for a full refund. She understood, she stated she would write something up, and I would get a refund in 2 weeks. 2 weeks came and went - I called and was told wait another week 'at least'. In the meantime, I made a complaint to the BBB - and wouldn't you know it - soon after I got an email that my refund was processed. Funny thing though - they subtracted the amt of shipping costs - even though I told them not to ship it in the first place - that's apparently my cost to swallow. I would not suggest buying anything from this company unless you really want to be frustrated. I intend to also file a complaint with the Attorney General of their state.
Negative lancecio
Perkasie, PA
May 12, 2011
Ordered in late March. They charged my Credit Card 4/7/11 for $97.69. Their catalog does not give a shipping estimate but their web site states 1-2 weeks. I was told on 4/15/11 my order was in shipping. When I did not receive order I asked for a refund on 4/25 and was told it would take 1-2 weeks to give me the refund. I am going away on May 17th and could not receive the order. After my emails asking when they would credit my account on May 12 2011 they sent me an email stating no refund, they decided to ship. Well I must assume if it does arrive when I am not home it will be spoiled.
I feel that House of Wesley is a Very Bad Company to deal with!!!!!!!

Frank Whalon Perkasie PA
Negative dmrbdr56
Beeville, TX
May 7, 2011
I ordered 50.00 worth of plants, all I received was a bunch of dead, moldy, smelly leaves, bulbs and sticks.
Negative Chanelboy
Syracuse, NY
May 2, 2011
Sometimes an offer seems too good to be true... I ordered from House of Wesley (DirectGardening.com) on April 11th. My credit card was billed IMMEDIATELY (of course) and it said to wait 1-2 weeks for processing. On April 29th I still didn't have my plants... so I e-mailed them. You're supposed to use your order number each time, and I did... and they e-mailed me back on Saturday April 30th that I didn't include enough information because they ALSO needed my mailing address in the e-mail- Whatever! I e-mailed back immediately... and by Monday May 2nd I STILL hadn't heard anything from them. So I called. Busy Signal. ALL. DAMN. DAY. I FINALLY got a live person at 5 p.m.-- she explained that my order might be SEVERAL MORE WEEKS....um, at this point it's May 2nd and the weeping cherry tree I ordered was intended to be a Mothers Day gift. WELL. She explained that there was a massive supply chain problem and "a lot of dissatisfied customers" - so I said "Just cancel it." WELL... in order to cancel the order you have to do it in WRITING. So I sent 4 separate letters to them addressed to various people (including the President of the Company- listed on the BBB website...)

While I was at the BBB website I saw that they only give them a D- rating! GOD I wish I found that website (and this one!) before I clicked "ORDER"!!! I will never do business with this company again, and I'm PRAYING I get a credit to my charge card before HELL freezes over! That'll teach me for not buying from a local business...

HOUSE OF WESLEY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Negative jmaddox
Panama City, FL
May 2, 2011
I finally received my order Fri. 4/29. The order was placed 3/30. I am hoping the rose will grow. It came to me very unprotected in a plastic bag. I am very surprised that the roots were not broken. It is unexcusable the length of time it took to receive this rose and it was packaged very shabbily. This is absolutely the last time I will order from this company.
Negative sarahattx
Spring, TX
May 1, 2011
I don't understand why this company is still survival. If you order anything from them, don't expect to receive anything that likes what you see in their website. I spent $30 for flowers, but they delivered a bounch of roots, no flower at all. I will never do any business with them any more. NEVER!
Negative JustTheWoot
Virginia Beach, VA
April 25, 2011
I am in an e-mail "battle" with House of Wesley as of this moment. The catalog came a month ago or so and I should have listened to the bells going off in my head! Only after placing my order for $60 worth of flowers and bulbs did I see online all the complaints! I'm sure years ago I filed my OWN complaints with the BBB.

Their website clearly states: "Please allow 1-2 weeks for your order to be processed. We will then ship based on weather and availability of the plants".

Well, it has been nearly a month since my March 26th order was placed online, and I have yet to recieve anything but a runaround from phonecalls and e-mails.

Today I filed a complaint with the BBB after I was told in an e-mail "We will forward your request for cancellation to the appropriate department to try to cancel this order before shipping occurs" ... when I have been told several times my order has not shipped!

I will NEVER order from this company or any of its half-dozen other names. I'll just be generally suspicious of ANY flower/bulb catalog that arrives! Grrrrrr ... !!
Negative retrojenny
Orlando, FL
January 9, 2011
This place is hit or miss. I ordered from them twice in 2010. The first time the shipment was fast, however, half the plants never grew (lavender and some ferns). The bulbs and morning glories did well

The second time I ordered was awful. It took over three months to get the mother-of-thyme and periwinkle I ordered. I asked twice to cancel the order, both times I was told it was accomplished. After two weeks I asked why no credit had appeared on my card; the response was the ordered shipped because they couldn't "catch it in time." Both the thyme and the periwinkle were dead on arrival. I didn't even bother to send back the dead plants with the mailing label because I don't want to deal with this company again.
Negative jeanduvivier
Exton, PA
August 29, 2010
Last spring I ordered a number of plants from this outfit. Among them 15 Phlox, 6 giant primroses. Of the Phlox, 9 were dead on arrival, but I thought that they were perhaps dormant and planted them anyway. None of them grew. Of the remainder, only two are still showing some leaves. All but two of the primroses are still showing anything and all the others are gone.
These flowers are planted in my flower garden and are watered and treated like a number of other annuals and perennials that I bought at a local nursery and are thriwing around and near them. I can only conclude that the plant stock that they sold me was of low quality. I shall not buy from this company again.
Positive ctrezner
Augusta, GA
August 10, 2010
Mail order is always a risk. I have ordered from House of Wesley when I lived in IL, FL, and now GA. The plants were always as described. My latest order was 4 Hybred Willows. When they came they were small little sticks and I was skeptical of them growing much the first year. They grew at various rates from next to zero to amazing based on the amount I watered. The one that is watered every day is now a good 12' tall and 6' feet wide in less than 4 months. the one that doesn't get hit by the sprinklers has 2 leaves on it. the ones watered occasionally are about 5' tall. I was so happy with the growth of the one watered everday I am going to drip irrigation and watering the row of trees I am putting in along my fence line everyday so they will get big fast.
Negative doctorFred8
Sayville, NY
July 6, 2010
On June 11, I ordered 8 items, paying about $60 by credit card.

When they did not arrive by June 22, I called and asked that that order be canceled and that the materials be sent in the spring of 2011, when the planting season would be more appropriate. They said they would comply. I asked for writtten confirmation; They said they'd try.

I never got confirmation of cancellation, but I DID receive the plants! In JULY (mailed on June 30).

I called. "Elizabeth" said my cancellation had to be in writing; she also said the plants had been mailed on June 22 (despite the 6/30/10 on the package). She also said I would have to pay for the return postage!! This latter was NINE DOLLARS that I had to pay for THEIR mistake!

There's more, but you get the idea. Terrible customer service, terrible return policy, incompetent mailing department. I've asked them IN WRITING, of course, to remove my name from their mailing list.

Do yourself a favor and NEVER use the House of Wesley in IL!! Unless you want headaches!
Negative willowblkcloud
Gresham, WI
June 28, 2010
Posted on February 22, 2007, updated June 28, 2010
Last year I ordered 6 Emperess Trees from House of Wesley. They came, but were not what I expected. They appeared to be dead sticks, and three were actually hollow. I put aside my doubts and planted them. As expected, they did not grow. I have just sent in my original shipping label and will give the company the benefit of doubt until I receive the replacements. If I get more dead sticks I will be on this site again. I am thankful for this site, since it has given me names of several other companies involved with House of Wesley. I believe 4 seasons was one of them. I have also sent the original shipping label into them for 18 blue spruce trees which are all dead. Half of those came and were covered in mold. To be fair, I did get four 3 in 1 crab trees from 4 seasons and they are doing ok. WISH ME LUCK! Either way (satisfied or extremely angry) you will see something from me in the near future.
On April 11th, 2007, willowblkcloud changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

I'M back......I just recieved my 6 replacement empress trees from House of Wesley. THEY AGAIN LOOK LIKE DEAD STICKS!!!!!!! I am very disappointed, and this replacement order forced me to change my rating from Neutral to Negative. I cannot believe that this company is allowed to remain in business. I will have to say that I have recieved my replacement order from FOUR SEASONS (18 Blue Spruce trees) and they appear to be alive. We will see what happens when I plant them.
On April 22nd, 2007, willowblkcloud changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

I hate to seem fickle, but I once again have to change my rating-At least for the time being. To be fair, I based my last change (to negative) on the observations of family members, as I had my replacement orders sent to their house. I have just returned from planting the 6 Emperess trees that I received from House of Wesley. I have to say that while the tree stems are indeed hollow, the root structures on the replacement plants are WAY better developed than the original ones I got. The plants are also about 10 times larger than the twigs I got the first time. I don't know if they are supposed to be hollow, but the stems appear to be very sturdy and I will give them a chance to thrive and (hopefully) grow. I also planted the replacement Blue Spruce trees from related company Four Seasons. They also were over double the size of the originals, and only three of the eighteen had mold on them. (two pretty bad and one semi bad). I too will give them a chance. I will be monitoring their progress and will keep this site updated. P.S. I did not have to do any extra follow-up calls or letters to receive my replacement merchandise. I just sent in the original shipping labels like requested. That is something I have to give both companies credit for. I am changing my rating back to neutral and will see if that changes after the summer growing season.
On June 28th, 2010, willowblkcloud changed the rating from neutral to negative and added the following:

Nothing grew because I guess you can't get live trees and plants from dead twigs. Nothing came up, bloomed, or grew in any way, shape, or form. BEWARE! The house of wesley is the worst place I have ever dealt with, Never again.
Negative pbj1824
Fall River, MA
June 22, 2010
I placed an order for 36 Hemlock Trees, 1 red clematis, climbing blue moon rose and mixed hybrid lily's. My credit card was charged the day I placed my order and it took me disputing the charge with my credit card company just to receive the order almost two months later, against my better judgment I kept the order and decided to go ahead and plant the half dead looking trees they sent me figuring I would give them a chance to live, after they kept repeating the phrase "remember we ship our items dormant". As of today the trees are dead, the clematis plant is dead and the blue rose bush is blooming red, the lily's are the only thing living. I called the company this morning to get a refund for the dead trees, I do not want replacement trees why should I go through the trouble of replanting 36 trees to have them die again. They will not refund my money, they insist that in order for a refund you have to return the items in 14 days, so much for giving them a chance to live. This company SUCKS and I will never do business with them again, I only wish I would have found this website before I placed an order with them. At this point I would rather cut my losses than plant more of their dead crap. Ripoff artists are what they are...beware and stay away from HOUSE OF WESLEY!
Negative Weeble
Defuniak Springs, FL
June 18, 2010
I ordered over $100.00 worth of flowers. They were all dead when I received them. DEAD NOT DORMANT. I returned all just as I was instructed to do so. I have not heard a word from this company! DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!! I HAVE AND WILL CONTINUE TO TELL EVERYONE, STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AND ITS PARTNERS.
Positive COsandi
Fort Collins, CO
June 9, 2010
I see all these negative comments and I am truly unsure why all the complaints.
I ordered and received as promised; normal delivery time. Dormant shrubs as described, and 12 unexpected nice strawberry plants. I soaked overnight the dormant Rose of Sharons, and I live in northern Colorado, and they are looking good; of course just small but they look very healthy! We do not have the best soil = clay, but worked it a little, water them everyday and everyday I see new growth.
I have already made another purchase for other ground cover and plants and can't wait until I receive them.
I think what the problem is with other people, is first they are impatient, secondly, I don't think they followed directions for dormant plants. I also did not receive anything near unhealthy or damaged in shipping.
Thank you House of Wesley! Happy to do business with you--prices are good too!!!
Negative masumner
Salt Lake City, UT
June 2, 2010
My order was for 3 Josephine Clematis and 3 Blue Light Clematis. I received 2 of the Josephine's and 3 Blue Lights. Also ordered 6 Jumbo Canadian Hemlock which arrived looking very dead. I wish that I had read the comments prior to ordering and I will never order from this company again.
Negative ladyh03
June 1, 2010
I placed an order on 4/23/10. The catalog states 2-3 weeks for shipping. On 5/12 when I did not have the order, or any communication regarding the order, I emailed a request to track it. The response came 5 days later, saying House of Wesley cannot track orders. But in the meantime, I had attempted to call their long distance # (who doesn't have a toll free #?) and found that part of the order had shipped, and the remaining part was still being processed. The first part of the order arrived 5/15/10. I immediately put them in the ground, as the plants looked as though they were on the verge of death. I tried to call again and cancel the order (by the way, getting them on the phone takes some effort as the line is consistently busy) but they said it was too late to cancel. The remaining part of the order arrived 5/29/10. I should also note that every one of the plants from the first part of the order had died by the time the second part arrived. House of Wesley paperwork states their plants arrive in a dormant state. Though I am a novice gardener, I am quite sertain mushy and moldy is not dormant. I called again to find out what the procedure is to return the plants for a refund. The rep said it didn't matter what I ship them in because by the time they return back to them they'll be dead. I hate to say it but the plants were long dead before they arrived to me.
Negative apposta
Searcy, AR
May 31, 2010
We probably need to pray for these guys. The mundane details of my experience with House of Wesley are consistent with the stories of others here. If you enjoy writing negative reviews, order from House of Wesley.
Negative reeve1
Plano, TX (Zone 8b)
May 24, 2010
I purchased some things from their catalog two years ago. They arrived so pathetically dead that it was not possible for them to be alive when they were sent. I have spent two years writing to them (they make you jump through hoops, keep a copy of previous shipping packages, etc.) and getting the same dead junk. Their parent company is Burgess, and Burgess has purchased and/or started up numerous other companies that operate in the same way. NEVER ORDER FROM THESE PEOPLE. In fact, I would not buy from any of the Burgess affiliates for the same reason. Some of these affiliates include

Burgess Nursery
Owens Nursery
Four Seasons Nursery
Sunburst Nursery
Greenview Nursery

If youa re uncertain, look at the address. If it's from Bloomington, IL, STAY AWAY!!
Negative Gfhaze
Sharon Springs
May 24, 2010
Sent by mail an order in early May for some Blueberry & Asparagus plants with my credit card info for payment in full!
Called today 05/24 and was advised that they received my order 05/13 and normally it takes 2 to 4 weeks to receive my order from the time they get it. I was then advised that this season there were additional problems with shipping and it would be more like 6/17!
I order a lot on-line and always receive e-Mail communication to advise me of most every step along the way! Jen advised me that they are not set up to use outgoing e-Mail for their customers! They have a web site so e-Mail should be FREE and just may save a lot of customers!Guess I will not have that to worry about that next year! As far as I am concerned they should wave the shipping and overnight my order! I won't hold my breath!
Negative bigruss77
Muskegon, MI
May 11, 2010
I would not order from this place. They said that the flowers would ship in 2 to 3 days, in a week nothing had arrived. I talked to someone and they said the order was being processed. About 2 weeks later still nothing, i contacted them agian and they said that they did not recieve the order. They are a very poorly ran company with very rude customer service reps. do not waste your time or money.
Negative MLH711
Fairmont, WV
May 7, 2010
They took the money from my bank account on April 1, 2010 and I FINALLY received the plants after 3 more emails asking where my plants are...on May 6th...the plants were TERRIBLE just shipped in a plastic bag. For the money, I could've gotten better plants at Lowe's or Wal-Mart...

NEVER AGAIN!
Negative dillardga
Davenport, FL
May 4, 2010
Something stinks in the House of Wesley. Do they buy distressed plants to ship? Do they have quality control in shipping? Do they care about their reputation? My plants arrived dead and mushy except for two burning bush twigs which are hard to kill any way. I took them from Florida to north Georgia immediatly and planted them. Hope springs eternal, alas. The Illinois Department of Agriculture needs to investigate this bunch. After reading many other complaints, there is something really wrong here. Where is consumer protection in Illinois?
Negative soaker
River Falls, WI
July 21, 2009
My check to House of Wesley is dated 4 April 2009, so that is the date of my order. Many weeks later, when the plants finally arrived, I found that they were almost all of very poor quality and that many were already dead. Following is a list of the plants I received and a brief commentary on each variety: (1) 24 Creeping Red Sedum--12 of the 24 grew, growth is feeble; (2) 50 Evergreen Periwinkle--15 grew, growth is feeble; (3) 40 Gladiolus Bulbs--24 grew, growth is satisfactory, bulbs were only marble-sized; (4) 2 Giant Double Peonies--both of them grew, growth is very feeble; (5) 4 Humming-bird Vines--All grew, growth is very good (not surprising for this species); (6) 2 Colorado Blue Spruce--both were dead upon arrival and seem to have been dead already for many weeks; (7) 15 blackberry plants--only five of the 15 plants grew, growth is feeble; (8) 6 Huge Hibiscus--5 grew, growth is feeble; (9) 2 Scarlet Red Maples--both were dead upon arrival; (10) 2 Butterfly Bushes--both were dead upon arrival. Of the 147 plants in my order, only 67 (less than 46%) grew, and many of these probably will not survive the winter.
I did not file a complaint with the House of Wesley because I assumed I would get no further with them than the many others who have complained. My impression of the House of Wesley is that it is deliberately pawning off dead and inferior merchandise on trusting people like me and that it will go on doing so unless legal constraints are imposed. Companies like this, if left unchecked, will give the state of Illinois a very bad reputation in respect to the handling of injustices to consumers. I have filed a complaint with the office of the attorney general in Illinois.
Negative swiftriver
South Hadley, MA
July 21, 2009
In May 2008 I received an order from this company...many of the plants were dead or covered in fungus. At my expense, I returned the dead plants. I wanted a refund on my credit card but was told that they would only issue a refund certificate to be used within one year. In April 2009 I figured that I would use up the refund certificate. I went to their website and placed an order. I was unable to complete the order over the internet because I was using the refund certificate. I mailed the refund certificate along with a check for $1.88 to cover the total amount of the order. The check was cashed in May and I still have not received the order. It's now July 21. I've tried calling the phone number on the order form and no one answers. It is obviously too late in the growing season to plant these items. I believe that this company makes a lot of money by selling an inferior product that has little value. They then make it almost impossible for unsatisfied customers to collect any kind of refund. Most people just give up and walk away. I've contacted Lisa Madigan, Illinois Attorney General, Consumer Fraud Bureau to report this company's unethical business practices. If you have been burnt by them, you should contact her as well. The form is available on line http://www.IllinoisAttorneyGeneral.gov