The scoop on 'Loresco Tropical Plants'

Loresco Tropical Plants

Neutral gisanti
Kissimmee, FL
December 10, 2011
Posted on December 9, 2011, updated December 10, 2011
Today I received 21 plants I ordered from John Esteban McGrath aka Loresco Tropical. To my surprise when I opened the box found the items were in awful condition. The plants were showing big scars and wounds. I called him as soon as possible to let him know about how unhappy i was with the purchase when he tried to insult my intelligence by telling me the scars were done on purpose to enhance the look of the plant. I am an active bonsai artist in the central Florida region with trees shown In Disney's Epcot Center. Trust me I know what healthy and pretty looking plants are. These 21 plants are not the case. It seems the worst plants were picked to fulfill my order. There is an active dispute in paypal. I have met this guy in his home and been to his farm which is quite impressive but his business manners are not the best. He lost a friend and a client.
On December 10th, 2011, gisanti changed the rating from negative to neutral and added the following:

On a good note. Loresco Tropicals agreed to issue a refund upon returning the plants purchased.
Negative pinballwizard
Miami, FL
October 7, 2009
Esteban,

My experience with Esteban is as a lazy two-timing con man. He spends hours talking and talking. There is no doubt that he knows alot about plants and he can teach it. I was in the process of ordering plants from his nursery. He had already charged me for consultation when he stopped returning my calls. The consultation about what plants to buy and how became worthless because he no longer tried to get me the plants so I was out more than $200. He mentioned how he was in court. This has nothing to do with me. It was some matter that was messing up his normal business/personal affairs.

He even asked for more money and even larger amounts of money and made larger promises about work he wanted to perform. Then the phone conversation dropped off. He stopped taking my calls. He stopped calling me back. I guess he could not take more money from me.

I think I was so annoyed by his long-windedness (Is he an alcoholic?) that I was just too tired to persistantly take the matter further and can't anyway. I live so far away, he can get away with screwing me over.

If you order the plants, make sure you get the plants first.

If there is any way that I can prevent a few dozen orders from occuring then he loses from his swindling me out of my money.
Positive Smdent
Brick, NJ (Zone 7b)
June 18, 2007
I recently purchased plants from Loresco Tropical Plants in Puerto Rico. Esteban answered every question that I had and was very helpful. The shipping was fast. The most important, the plants - were very large and healthy! I was extremely pleased and I will certainly order from them again.
Shirley
Positive Guamanian
Fredericksburg, VA
February 6, 2007
Being from a tropical Island in the Pacific,I have to say that Loresco Tropical Plants is the place to buy tropical plants. SI U'US MA'ASE meaning "Thank You" in Chamorro to Mr. Esteban. Hey, and guess what...the adeniums like it here in Virginia.... :-)
Positive Ramnyc
New York, NY
June 16, 2005
I just received two hugh cartons from Loresco containing ten hibiscus and three tropical plants. To say that I am impressed would be an understatement. The plants are amazingly healthy and ready to bloom.

Before ordering, I corresponded with Esteban in Puerto Rico. Despite being his busy season, he replied to each of my emails; offering excellent advice, cultivation information, special formulas for fertilizing, etc. All this before I spent a penny.

When the plants were sent, I received an email alerting me to expect arrival (three days from PR to NYC). His emails sent me instructions on what to do upon arrival to ensure acclimation of the plants.

OK, one point everyone should know. Loresco's website is not the best but it is improving. Some links appear not to work (slide the mouse around the button and click often). All of the plants are not listed, so do not hesitate to write with questions, etc.

Finally, Esteban sent magnificent photos of hibiscus he has cultivated. This helped me decide. I started off looking for one hibiscus and became addicted- my Manhattan NYC terrace will look like a tropical paradise. Now if I can find a small spot where I can sit!

Positive BugFreak
Navarre (NW FL), FL (Zone 8b)
August 27, 2004
Loresco tropicals is great. I placed my order with them and they were prompt to deliver. Esteban (Loresco Tropicals owner) was very involved through out the entire process and continued to check with me all during the days preceeding my vacation to make sure that the deliver was convenient for me. Needless to say the plants were in great condition. He has still kept in touch to make sure that all of the plants have not only survived but flourished. Definately two thumbs up! I look forward to my future order with Loresco Tropicals.
Positive Philly
Philadelphia, PA
April 8, 2004
Having lived in Puerto Rico for many years, I was searching for somewhere to buy tropical plants here in the states(Philly). I came across Esteban's website in PR and started contacting him last year. I ordered some banana plants, palms, and a host of other tropicals from him. His knowledge and help made the process worry-free. I did not know how these plants would do here but I was willing to give it a shot. I am happy to report that everything was excellent. The one banana actually bloomed and had fruit at the end of September. I have over wintered many of the plants indoors and they are almost ready to back outside. I am in the process of placing a 2nd order for this season. What a great find.
On May 19th, 2004, Philly added the following:

Just received my second order. Once again I received the coolest plants. One is Colocasia (fontenessi, a type of elephant ear), and is beautiful. It is large with an interesting shaped leaf and color stem. I also got some banana plants and an awesome variety of Dracaena. Everything was well packed and an excellent value for dealing with mail-order. My house in Philly is once again starting to get that tropical feel and I'm loving it. Thanks to Esteban for all his suggestions and help.