The scoop on 'Farmer Seed and Nursery'

Farmer Seed and Nursery

818 NW 4th Street
Faribault, Minnesota 55021 (United States)

Catalog Order Page: Hyperlink
Paper Catalog Cost: Free

This company is affiliated with Burgess Seed

Comments:

Displaying the 50 most recent comments:

Positive kar4876
Trenton, FL
April 8, 2014
We received a catalog randomly in the mail - everything looked so wonderful (including the prices) I read some reviews. After reading several reviews, many which were negative, we decided to place a small order, under $100, and were pleasantly surprised!!! I have horrible luck with plants so when what looked like dead sticks arrived, I was sure to thoroughly read the manual, and everything is growing wonderfully!!! My husband ordered Siberian Elms for a hedge along the side of our property, and I ordered a variety of ground cover flowers as well as perennials. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS PEOPLE!!!! As far as shipping, it took about 3 weeks, but they clearly explain it takes up to 2 weeks to gather the order and may have to wait for favorable weather conditions for shipping certain plants. I am now going to place a huge order - hope this helps the undecided!
Company representative comment on April 13, 2014:
On Apr 13, 2014 3:35 PM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your kind posting on Garden Watchdog. Your experience is more typical of our normal customers as we do ship hundreds of thousands of packages to satisfied customers each year. I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Negative tmtrvlr
Lonsdale, MN
June 28, 2013
I purchased from this company because there is a local store, and I would not have to pay for postage. I also bought seeds from other sources. All of the packages that we purchased at Farmer Seed & Nursery have VERY low germination. We purchased some very expensive seeds and were very disappointed. We had normal results from seeds purchased elsewhere.
Neutral boydlindsayn
Annville, PA
May 27, 2013
I ordered two banana trees Four weeks ago and waited the 2 weeks for processing, which seems a bit much to me, and then waited another week before they arived. While I did get my plants on time, I certainly did not like the way they were shipped. Both trees were shipped in the same thick green bag that was stappled so that no air could get in, while my trees' roots were still covered in soil, one was moist while he other was dry, there was no protection from the shipping process except the plastic bag and a small sliver of cardboard that was bent over each tree, I guess for suport, and a healthy banana tree has leaves that are percky and stick out with one little curled up leaf in the middle that will unfold and allow the plant to grow, only one of the trees looked like this, the other was squished almost flat without the center leaf. While I may or may not continue business with them I certainly do not like my plants being handled that way. I prefer to have a tree in a pot at the post office that I can pick up and not get in the mail on the hottest day of the spring, reaching about 90 degrees outside, let alone in the mailbox! We will see how well the trees live and I thank everyone for stating there returing issues, I made sure to keep all of the paperwork in case one is to die.
Negative mrTommmm
Billerica, MA
May 14, 2013
I ordered some plants. One seemed dormant (or dead).
I waited three weeks and it was dead.
I contacted customer support who said I should send them the _original_packaging_ the plants came in and they would replace the plant.

Who keeps the original _packaging_???
Negative lcarlson
Arden Hills, MN
May 8, 2013
I bought numerous plants from various vendors for a large garden I'm starting. I received a catalog from Farmers Seed and figured that I should check them out since they're local. Unfortunately, I had the same experiences some of you had; horrible plants and worse customer service.

I purchased $150 worth of plants through them. They were one of the first vendors to send me plants, so to be fair, I dont have much to compare them to. I've never ordered plants online before, but I did receive a beautiful Japanese Maple and some nice varieties of hibiscus from Wayside Gardens and was really pleased with them. They sent their plants in pots, really well packed, with an invoice, in a cardboard box.

I'm very new to this "bare root" thing and quite frankly, my recent experience tells me that I will never accept that mode of transport for plants again, not that I had a choice in the matter with Farmers Seed. I didnt know the plants would ship like this. The plants came in horrible-looking condition, stacked on top of each other in one large bag. The individual plants were packaged mostly in plastic baggies and/or stapled cardboard. Some of the bare root stuff was exposed and not wrapped at all, and some was wrapped in a ridiculous amount of plastic and tape or staples. For example, my variegated weigelia was a stick with completely dry roots. Nothing was protecting those roots from snapping off in the massive garbage-like bag they shipped this in. My hibiscus' were sticks with plastic package-taped around the roots, which I havent viewed, but there seems to be no moisture in there at all. The Harry Lauder Walking Stick which was advertised to be a "healthy 12-15 inches" was a 3" single stick with a small root ball wrapped in a plastic baggie and stapled to itself. I'm the most dissapointed about this one as other vendors sell it for the same price in a trade gallon sized pot. The root ball was completely dry. The Empress Wu, another plant I was super excited about. came with a sad-looking, droopy, 3" leaf again with the tiny root ball wrapped in plastic, stapled and then a cardboard teepee stapled to death around it. What a mess to unwrap!!

So, I unwrapped everything, except the taped hibiscus and bagged bulbs, sprayed some water on them, and decided to call Famers Seed to give them the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, this made matters worse. The lady sounded very crabby. She told me that the order number I had given her off the bat "isnt going to help me at all". I told her about my experience and she cut me off telling me to return the items with a letter stating why I was returning them.

There was no apology or explanation. There wasnt any attempt to keep my business. I'm going to have to pay for shipping. There is no invoice to put in the order, and I have to print out a letter stating why I was returning the plants. I didn't even ask how long it would take to get a refund as she was so curt and rude, I just wanted to get off the phone with her.
This is, by far, the worst customer service I've ever received. Minnesota nice...hmmmm. What a complete bummer. Anyone have a Walking Stick they can sell me as everyone is sold out now??? :(
Negative simplypaul
Opelika, AL
May 5, 2013
50% of my shipment never came to "life". I understand that they ship bare root and the plants are dormant but it has been over a month and half since I have planted the items and no signs of life. Torch Lilies-roots were mush and rotten, Japanese toad lily-mush and rotten, Ranunculus-dried out. They included some free gifts which were all rotten and mushy. Which I don't care about the free gifts being I did not pay for the items but if your going to send free gifts at least let them be somewhat alive. I would have given them a neutral rating but I spent time, money and energy planting all the listed above items hoping that they would make it. Of course they did not. My two pepper plants, Stargazer Lilies, and Voodoo lilies are doing great. Such high hope I had for all the plants I received from Farmer Seed and Nursery to grow and thrive, only to be let down.
Company representative comment on July 30, 2013:
On Jul 30, 2013 3:02 PM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

We are sorry to hear of this customers experience. We do have a refund and replacement guarantee available. We have contacted this customer via D-mail to see how we may be of assistance.

Negative Knee
Lenexa, KS
April 23, 2013
Received 75 strawberry plants from Farmer Seed company,
4 bunches of onion plants, 4 rhubarb roots and 12 Heritage
Red Raspberry plants on 4/17/13. The red onion plants were
the size of matchsticks, strawberry plants dry with no green
on most of them, and rhubarb were the size of a pencil. Do
not know if I will live long enough to see these roots produce.
Will not order from this company again!! As it is a waste of
my time and money.
Jack Hazlett
On Apr 30, 2013 1:33 PM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

Many of our items are shipped bare root and dormant as this allows them to be transplanted with much higher degrees of success. It does not mean they are dead, but since they are dormant, and not leafed out, people unfamiliar with bareroot nursery stock may they mistake them for dead. We suggest soaking in water overnight or for a few hours before planting. Then keep well watered after planting and within 6 weeks of warm weather, the plants should break dormancy and show signs of leaf.

We do have both a refund and a replacement guarantee and stand behind them.

A customer care representative has contacted this customer to see if we may be of assistance

Positive dukegg1
Pitman, NJ (Zone 7a)
April 10, 2013
Simply ordered a few bulbs & they arrived quickly & in good shape. They also included a free plant which wasnt expected by me on such a small order. Id use them again.
On Apr 30, 2013 1:29 PM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

Thank you! We are happy to hear that your order arrived in good shape. We look forward to being of service in the future!

Positive kristenMD
Calverton, MD
March 24, 2013
After reading all of the reviews, I was nervous about placing my order. I placed my order on 9 March (and hoped for the best!). I received my plants--packaged nicely--on the 22nd. The citrus plants look fantastic and the berries like sticks (but that is typical), the pepper plant a little wilted, but it's in soil now. I've just started planting now so time will tell on how well they do. I hope to post back in a few months with an update, but as far as the ordering and delivery, I'm satisfied with the service and the plants. They even sent two seed packets (tomato and cantaloupe) and two types of bulbs (gladiolas and shamrock) as a gift for my order.

I figured I'd offer my experience because it seemed to be different than most (or perhaps when things go as they should, we tend not to follow up?). Either way, so far so good on my order and delivery. Good luck planting!
On Apr 30, 2013 1:27 PM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

Thank you for your post! We are happy to hear that you are happy with the service and your plants. Happy Gardening!

Negative justinel
York, SC
October 18, 2012
LESSON LEARNED TOO LATE!
I placed an order 2nd week of September as I had ripped up the spaces to be planted and as everything ordered was "in-stock" I would be ready. By the end of Sept I had received a few PACKETS of seeds. Trying to call them...NIGHTMARE. 168.15 I spent. "when" I reached them they basically blew me off and when I questioned them about ALL the negative items I have read (too stupidly late on my part) first they went on to say how they send out tons of orders (1 mil is not that big) and a few "complainers" meant nothing...they then told me I could cancel my order by ....ready....WRITING them a letter! I asked WHEN will I get the order..."oh we will get back to you". I then Hoovered them and tried to find any person other than "Ruthie or Cindy" to tell me WHEN I would get my order...to no avail. I called again THIS MORNING and was called "nasty" because after LOSING 168.15, I was not feeling all that sweet. I then emailed on a sister site and got the following reply:
Thank you for your email regarding your order. We have checked on your order and found that it is currently in our shipping department and scheduled to ship at any time. Please allow some time for delivery once the order has been shipped.

Also, just as a reminder, be sure to hold onto the original shipping label that will come on the outside of the package for your one year guarantee.

Thank you and Happy Gardening!

Customer Care
I then sent them the following:
I have to be honest with you – your reputation online is not a bunch of negative hear-say – it is truth. I am ashamed to say that I did not look until AFTER 4 weeks had passed and my card had been charged and I had receive a few packets of seeds…

My order is scheduled to “ship at any time now” IS NOT ACCEPTABLE – WHEN is it shipping? My order has been in your order dept for well over a month…I would like the date it will arrive so that I have the opportunity to inspect it as your reputation is horrible really horrible and I don’t want to spend another several weeks trying to return pitiful specimens.

How you could treat someone the way I have been treated AFTER you took 168.15 from me is appalling. I am adding my experience to the rest of them as I have a feeling that I too will receive dead plants – if any of those I ordered.

I will not order from you again and like the many others I wish I had read about your online reputation sooner and given my hard earned monies to a local nursery.

Justine L
And I have not heard a thing (WOW SURPRISE) but I have now added this to all the rest. I learned my lesson and I hope that anyone that is swayed by the beautiful catalog will NOT do what I did...order first and read reviews later.
Company representative comment on October 19, 2012:
On Oct 19, 2012 11:46 AM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

Our website does state the following

"Please allow 1-2 weeks for your order to be processed. After your order has been processed, we will ship according to weather and the availability of the plant material. We continue to ship through the summer and fall as long as the items are still available"

Most bulbs and perennials are usually available by September. Some deciduous trees and shrubs are not available until October.

A customer care representative has contacted this customer for further information. We do hope to hear back from the customer as we would like to help resolve this problem.

Negative guitarzan
Menomonee Falls, WI
July 3, 2012
Posted on June 12, 2012, updated July 3, 2012
Posted on May 22, 2012, updated June 12, 2012
I only had a small order of 100 strawberry plants however they shorted my order by a couple plants -- since it was more hassle than it was worth to recover the shorted plants, I thought I'd let it slide.

Strawberries have always grown like weeds for me but then when some of the plants died, I decided to let them know by forwarding the online order confirmation and explaining the issues I encountered, thinking any reputable company would honor this request for replacement. Boy was I wrong. They required that I send the original shipping label back to them for replacement, of course, this was weeks after I planted them and who keeps that stuff? Besides isn't the original order confirmation good enogh to let them know where and when I bought them? Finally, after some negotiation they decided to "make good" (quotes intentional) on their obligation by allowing me to send the canceled check or credit card statement to them, which I did online. However, while the gladly accepted my payment online they refused to honor my replacement (which again, was short to begin with) because it was an email. They actually required that I do the very ‘ungreen’ and higher cost thing by snail mailing them the exact document I send via email. You can see by this policy that they would rather put up road blocks than stand behind their products.

Now ( hassle or not) it's a matter of principle. I sent them what they wanted and am waiting for thier reply (and waiting, and wating) I may never see the plants I purchased but I wanted to get the word out .....

DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM OR YOU WILL PROBABLY BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!
On June 12th, 2012, guitarzan added the following:

I sent them the credit card statement they requested and received a letter stating that I didn’t comply with their return policy so "they're sorry I'm not pleased with my order" .. but are not going to a darn thing to correct it. These guys are pros at providing the absolute worst customer service imaginable -- even beyond imagination. The only thing worse than their customer service are the products they sell.

By the way even more of the strawberry plants have died since this return policy shell game/fiasco began.

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On July 3rd, 2012, guitarzan added the following:

After the leg work already mentioned, they did come through with some replacement plants that I received and planted a few days ago. The plants look healthy (for dormant plants), so I have to say at this point they lived up to their word -- it wasn't an easy task for that to happen, and it took some time but eventually I was contacted by Miranda who was very helpful.
Company representative comment on July 3, 2012:
On Jul 3, 2012 9:15 AM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

We are sorry to hear of the customer’s problems with his strawberries. We do have a one year replacement guarantee which we stand behind. We have been contact with this customer via dmail and do show that a replacement order is currently in processing.

Negative edh726
Anderson, IN
May 29, 2012
I ordered 4 mosquito shoo geraniums from them only 1 greener up and is alive after calling about the 1 year replacement I was told that even though they have my order in the system I have to send them a letter with my credit card statement to have the honor my replacement of this $20.00 order... Don't waste you time with this company
Positive PennyandJoe
Atchison, KS
April 14, 2012
I placed an order for over $217.00. I anxiously awaited my oder to arrive. I had ordered several fruit trees, blackberries, grapes, raspberries, various tomato and pepper plants as well as several pkts of seeds. As of this date, everything except 1 fruit tree has been delivered and everything has arrived in appearingly good condition. Fruit trees and fruit plants often look like dead sticks, but they are only dormant. Plant them as directed. You most likely will be surprised...maybe even amazed at what grows from those dead sticks! I will admit that I did call to check on my order and was help by a very polite gentleman named John. He promised my Fruit trees would ship out by the beginning of the next week. Fed Ex delivered them 2 dsys later. I called to thank John for his prompt attention to my order, but a rather rude woman refused to let me speak to him. KUDOS to JOHN for being polite, honest and attenative to my order. By the way the tomato and pepper plants arrived yesterday and all of them are thick and lush green. No problems with my order. And we will order again next year... and hopefully John will attend to our order.
Negative todster
Boonville, NY
February 26, 2012
I ordered about $300 worth of trees and bushes. Of the 24 siberian elm ordered,none were shipped. Most of the bushes were dried sticks. I soaked and placed them in my compost pile and was able to get 1/2 of them to do something. I also had ordered 24 weeping willow. To my surprise, none of these have grown. I always thought these would grow anywhere. I complained to farmer seed about the missing siberian elm and was told I would have to wait until they were dead. I wrote back and told them that since they've been missing so long to consider them dead. Now they say are they dead or missing. I told them again that they were missing and apparently the immigrant workers forgot to pack them. I've yet to hear back. I am approaching the 1 year mark so I won't be surprised if they reply back and say that I am out of the 1 year warranty and they are sorry.
Negative ninat
Joyce, WA (Zone 7b)
February 21, 2012
Very slow to ship and act like it's your fault that they didn't ship seeds. TOO RUDE!
Negative kmat59
Salina, KS
November 5, 2011
My complaints are almost the same as all the others,dead plants, poor service. My greatest problem was with shipping, I received so many things wrong! 3 plants in my shasta daisies instead of 4, 2 bleeding hearts instead of 3. I planted a pack clearly marked Electric Orange Lilies and grew just average orange lillies.I sent pictures of my lillies to the company and asked for a refund, they replied I needed to return the bulbs within 14 days from my recieving them to get a refund. I sent a copy of all the e-mails and snail mails I sent to Farmer Seed to the Kansas Attorney General. The KS AG wrote today they are unable to make contact with these violaters
On Feb 16, 2012 2:18 PM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

We are sorry to hear that a mistake may have been made in shipping and have been in contact with the customer regarding this complaint. The customer was issued a credit for the items complained about on 7/8/2011. We contacted the customer through dmail, but have received no further response since we asked if she had received the voucher we sent. We do show that we received a complaint from the KS Attorney General regarding the fact that the customer was upset we had not sent her a fall catalog so she could redeem her credit voucher. We explained that we do not have a fall catalog, but that the customer could use the spring one to place an order which she has recently done.

Positive animalrights
Seymour, TN
May 26, 2011
I have had good luck with this company, my plants have done very well. I have recently been purchasing the dawn redwood tree which have done well and they are quite beautiufl for something that has been around since the dinasaur days.
Negative zhukpavlo
West Springfield, MA
April 15, 2011
I ordered a bunch of Plants from farmer seed. Plants arrived in horrible condition. Planted them anyway - even though many looked dead on arrival. I would say 40% survived the rest didn't. They give you a one time replacement - so I called them. They said send the receipt with the label. I did - then they said they need both labels (they split the order and sent one package early and one late) - luckily I had both labels. Sent both back - they send it back again with some other excuse. I finally sent it back and said I really only care about the Manchurian Apricot. They did send back the plants - but the Apricots were just 2 more dead sticks. I planted them in the fall having no hope...

For the prices - the plants with 40-50% survival I guess are Ok -
But I wouldn't order any trees or bushes from them - and don't order the Manchurian apricot - the will send 2 dead sticks.
On Feb 16, 2012 1:59 PM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

This customer placed a $70 order in March 2010 and requested replacements worth $14.98. We have contacted this customer via dmail.

Negative srlpmommy
Grapeland, TX
April 8, 2011
I ordered from farmseed.com before I found this site. I am so sorry about that now. I ordered 10 blackberry, 6 grapes (various varieties), three raspberry’s and two cherry trees; all on March 11th. They came in the mail on April 7th.

Everything is dead. I think I may be able to save two of the blackberries, but that is it. I have been so excited about the arrival of these plants and then they send me this.

The first time I called in the lady on the phone said it would be a week before they were able to send everything out. After a week I called and then it was,” well, it says on the website it will be 2 weeks before they are sent out and It does say that", but she said she would rush the order. After two weeks it was, "well we are running behind so it may take another week for me to get them sent out to you and then a week for delivery."

When I received the plants I was flabbergasted. All the grapes are wrapped in individual plastic bags and there was no water pellets on them what so ever. So all the plants have been wrapped in a plastic bag for 7 days with no water. If that did not kill them, then I can only assume that these plants were dead when they sent them. The bark is pealing off all the raspberry plants - they are dead. One of the blackberry's was so dry that the stem had split in half, the only thing holding it together was the twist of dead roots.

The cherry trees just look horrible. I went ahead and planted everything that I could I hopes that there is still something alive in the these plants. It was a lot of work, but I am trying. I spent the money, might as well give it a go.

I will never order from these people again. This is the worst plants I have ever received from a mail order company. I feel that I have been scammed. To complain they give you the run around and are rude. Save yourself the hassle and money; don't order from these thieves.

On Feb 16, 2012 2:20 PM, Farmer Seed and Nursery responded with:

The items received in this order were are all shipped bare root and dormant as this allows them to be transplanted with much higher degrees of success. Since they are dormant, and not leafed out, they may be mistaken for dead. We were able to contact the customer via Dmail and discuss the dormant nature of the plants as well as the 1 year replacement guarantee. We are assuming all has thrived as we have not received further correspondence.

Positive cricket4711
Goshen, OH (Zone 6a)
March 27, 2011
I ordered a $30.00 order on 2/27/11, On Sunday 3/20/11 I started to get worried and checked online, I came across this website, I read alot of the bad reviews and started to worry, I knew the company was affiliated with Burgess and my aunt had always order from them with no problem. But I started to worry so I emailed them asking when I could expect my order, I knew it would be shipped when it was supposed to be planted but I was unsure of when that was.
The next day I get home from work, the package was there with everything in it, looks good all but one plant, but it isn't dead so I have hope it is in shock. Everything else is exactly what I ordered and some is already starting to sprout. I will most likely order from them again next year.
Positive mikehall3939
Trafalgar, IN
March 2, 2011
my wife and i had a new home built and ordered lots of trees and flowers from them.. all plants arrived on time and in great shape.. due to some super heavy rains we had to wait a week to plant.. thru the summer 0f 2010 we had very little rain and with some simple watering and care all plants are growing strong and looking good.. just cuz some people had a bad experience or didnt read the instructions for shipping and replacement doesnt mean this company sucks.. we really like them and have recommended them to several ppl with the same satisfying results.. My employer a tow company even purchased 200 hybrid poplar trees and all are growing strong a look good with very little care or love.. sry others have had a bad time but hey i will order from them as long as they offer great deals and quality plants like we recieved in the past..
Negative impska
Lawrence, KS
July 12, 2010
I wish I'd known about this website and checked reviews before ordering from Farmer's Seed. I placed my order in January, and by March nothing had come. I had ordered seed potatoes as part of my order and when my potato planting date came and went, I called them. They were fairly rude, but I was able to get them to send my order "early" - which was in fact late, for my zone.

I was unimpressed with the entire order, but I figured "what did I expect, for the price of some of this stuff?" A couple of months later, half my order was already dead, so I figured I'd look to see how to get replacements. I couldn't find my original shipping label, so I called up and the woman said I could send my receipt and credit card statement instead. I did, and getting replacements was no problem (easier than getting my original order, in fact). Then the second half of my order died, along with much of the replacement order. So I sent another letter with my proofs of payment, as with the first time. This time, my request for replacement was rejected.

I suppose they must have known that when an entire hundred dollar order needs to be replaced, you're not going to be a returning customer.
Negative sun10rise
Whitefish, MT
June 16, 2010
If everyone who is burned by a Plantron affiliate would contact their state Department of Justice, Office of Consumer Protection and file a complaint the businesses would probably change. I ordered over $300 of plants from Farmers Seed in 2009. If they sent their best products the first time, why bother going through their runaround to request replacements or a credit?
Negative maddog1969
June 15, 2010
Our experience was terrible and we will never, ever order anything from the Farmer Seed & Nursery Co. We wish that we had researched them first and seen these ratings. The stock arrived and 80% was clearly dead. We requested a refund and got a replacment certificate per their policy. We will considered this a loss. Buyer beware!!!
Negative RPierson
Jackson, NJ
June 14, 2010
I am not going to recap every thing else said here. This was the worst CS I have ever recieved. They were out right Rude and Nasty on the phone! 16 plants all DOA. Still waiting for replacements. They are owned by Plantron, who when finnally contacted (the # is a big secret it seems) where also no help. I WILL NEVER BY FROM ANOTHER CATALOGE AGAIN! I'd rather pay a little more a see what I am getting.
Negative MelanieW
Mazomanie, WI
June 8, 2010
Horrible! We will never order from them again! They are owned by a large parent company in IL that also sends out seed/plant catalogs under different names but the main company is Planton Inc.
Placed an order in April, our order didn't ship until May 11th and was sent bulk mail and took 11 days to get, shipped in a plastic bag. Needless to say the plants were dry, crumbled piles of dead dust by then.
I called and got instructions on how to ask for a replacement and sent the label with a note asking for new plants. They sent my letter and label back in June with a form letter and written in red ink "label for citrus plants" I called about it and told them it clearly says on the label, 24 hemlock, 6 walk-on-me plants. No apology just told it was a miscommunication and I had to send it all back again and maybe returns would process it! I asked to speak to a manager who was angry to be on the phone with me in the first place and told me she can't do anything for me! I asked for the main office number and she refused to give it to me.
I researched and found the # for Planton Inc and called them and was told exactly the same thing, basically we could eat it.
After more poking around I found many people angry with them on other sites under the various company names! I offered to let them right thier wrong and they really didn't care at all and dismissed me.
I filed a complaint with consumer protection, BBB and will with anyone else I can find. My 24 bucks is a drop in the bucket but when you see the numbers of people unhappy and ripped off by an exchange/refund policy designed to frustrate to the point that people give up and they keep your $$ they are thousands ahead by every little customer that gets no satisfaction. Please research before you buy and be sure you know who the parent company really is so you don't have to go through what I did.
Negative acicomfort
Circle Pines, MN
June 4, 2010
Now over four weeks since order was placed and no product. When contacting the company, their reply was 'it will ship sometime next week'. When asked if we could just come and pick it up, their reply was 'we will have to call you back on that'

Yet no word from Farmer Seed & Nursery. I wish I would have seen these reviews BEFORE I placed an order. My order is over $250 and have been treated as if the order was for $5
Negative steinmed
Sussex, WI
June 4, 2010
35 days no order yet. and it is now June
Negative oldnodak
Socorro, NM
May 22, 2010
Ordered nursery stock in 2009. Arrived very late and looked dead. Planted it anyway , and it did not grow. Contacted company and they have been stalling ever since. Apparently will not honor their guarantee. I give up. Too bad used to be a good outfit
Negative egareis
Tarrytown, NY
May 5, 2010
This is the second and probably the last time I've ordered from Farmer Seed and Nursery. The plants all come dormant, and some barely have any roots on them. About a quarter of the plants don't live. Last year, I had to wait for six weeks until I got a replacement.
Negative Lacy_Jean
May 1, 2010
I placed a large order after ice storm damage made it necessary to replace most of what I had. They delivered late and what was delivered was a lot of dead little twig plants, very few ever showed any signs of life. I planted it all, no matter how obviously dead, kept everything properly watered, etc. They gave me a big run around regarding their replacement guarantee, but I finally got something of a replacement, more dead twigs, mostly, and substitutes in large part for what I had originally ordered. Again almost nothing ever showed signs of life. It was a lot of money, but I don't think it is worth my time to try to get replacements again since apparently they are going to keep sending dead twigs.
Negative ricrorr
Leasburg, NC
April 29, 2010
I feel duped. I ordered sixteen tomato plants and eight pepper plants from the company. They arrived with four dead tomato plants and two dead pepper plants. The rest of the plants looked severely yellowed. We set these in the sun, worked with them, but they all died. The weeping willow I received earlier was dead and the walk on me plants were dead and dried. Planted them anyway, but no signs of life. What a horrible experience. I sent an e-mail to customer service concerning my experience, but no response. Chalk this one up to a $94.88 mistake.
Negative wathen3390
Dupont, IN
April 23, 2010
Okay , so I got the box with the dead plants and the green sticks. I sent them an email and they said "shipping could take 7-14 days" I replied back" Are you guys using the Pony Express"? By car I may be 3 1/2 hours from Bloomington. Is this exceptable "NO SAYS I" But whata ya do. I am not dealing with the "Return Policy" They Suck. End of story. Lesson Learned. Do your research before you buy. It's too bad that these companies do not have to disclose their satisfaction percentage at the top of the screen like another on line company does. Hmmmmm!
Negative wathen3390
Dupont, IN
April 22, 2010
I wish I would have read the reviews before ordering from this company. I was taken in by the "cheap prices" trap. Lesson learned. I will never order from them again. I placed my order on March 9,2010 and still haven't recieved anything. I was told a partial order went out in the mail on 4-17-10. Who knows. The embarrasing part , is I talked a couple of friends into ordering from them as well. I feel really bad. Expecting the plants that I wanted to start this year were on their way, I waited...waited.. and waited. It's too late to get others in the ground. Not to mention $103.05 gone.
Negative MIMI_IN_MICH
Dearborn, MI
April 20, 2010
We have ordered many times from other companies, other catalogs. Plants sometimes die during shipping and all we have ever had to do is call and they were replaced. Farmer Seed sent us 6 bareroot blue spruce seedlings which were black (with mold?) when received and have since lost all their needles. When we called this morning, F/S asked us to ship the trees back in the original bag, with invoice, catalog number, and letter of explanation (They're DEAD!). This is a waste of our time and shipping costs for about $6 worth of trees. We won't be returning the trees to F/S and we won't be repeat customers of F/S or any company affiliated w/them. Other items in same order were OK. They should know how to ship so that stock arrives in good shape.
Negative cajuns84
mandeville,la
United States
April 15, 2010
I placed an order on March 3,2010.It is now April 15,2010. To date I have only received 3 out of 7 items ordered. I have contacted this company many many times for status of my outstanding items ordered. They tell me some of them (2)have been shipped on March 31, 2010,but I have not received them. Now for these two items,I have to wait 30 days before I can request a reshipment. The remaining 5 items are tomatos and will be shipped by the grower when availavle sometime between May and June. They don't tell you this when you palce an order. So today I called them again to cancel my outstanding items and requested a refund. They can not refund my credit card,They tell you you have to write the company and formally request a refund. No one should ever use this company. There is no way I will ever use this company again
Negative jus256
Ypsilanti, MI
April 12, 2010
I sent an email for a status on my order of two pecan trees on April 1, 2010. They said my order shipped. Today I get two dried up twigs in a plastic bag. First I was pissed when I saw the mailman shoved the bag into my mailbox but I guess it didn't matter since the trees were dead anyway. Then I realize the postage on the bag says $1.02. I am not kidding you. When you mail something from Illinois to Ann Arbor, Michigan, it takes 13 days when they only spend a $1.02 to ship your merchandise through the USPS. I'm about to call my credit card company and have them reverse the charge.

Negative NCISLAND
Harkers Island, NC
April 7, 2010
THIS COMPANY SUCKS! I was so sickened with the service I am never ordering from there again. My father and I were realy excited to get this catalog in the mail because my aunt orders from it. I don't know why she does though, she must be the .5% that orders from them and likes their service!!!!! We ordered from them on March 4th and it is now April 7th! When we ordered we had high hopes and were ready to get the plants in the ground. Little did we know we were in for a long, long wait. It has been 8 weeks and all we have got is 7 pkts. of seed out of the 18 things that we ordered. Some of the seeds cannot be planted for it is to late in the season. I expect that we will be getting the rest of the plants next December. My dad called the company and they had no sympethy at all. He wanted to cancel the rest of the order and they told him he would have to send a letter! This is 2010 people, nobody sends letters. Less than 1% gave this a positive review. Bottom line, DON'T ORDER FROM THEM! Unless you like waiting 2 months to get the stuff you order. :[
Negative policiaboy
Bronx, NY
March 31, 2010
Received my order last week, and wish I had read the reviews. Like others it arrived in a green plastic bag, (is was felixible and broke the grape vine in half). ALL the bags containing tubers were without any peatmoss/soil element so most of the tubers were dried out. The Cannas had some moisture but covered in a white mildew type of fungus. I have called the Farmer Seed & Nursery phone # several times with a constant "busy" signal. DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM. I am a police officer here in New York City and feel like I have been ripped off. This is a civil matter, but a crime is a crime. If they do not respond to my emails (which I just sent) I will file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. BBB. If enough people do this perhaps they will change their shipping methods and reimburse people.
Negative Yukon1
Pea Ridge, AR
September 14, 2009
Should have checked their ratings. Sent them an order
for 3 live rootings late last winter. In late spring, I received
2 of the plants. I contacted them concerning the 3rd, which
is basically a houseplant(Candy Cane Oxalis). Told them
weather was warm enough to mail it also.
Their reply was the plant wouldn't be available until fall
(not listed that way in catalog). But I gave them the benefit
of the doubt.
Today I received a box from them. Imagine my surprise, when I opened the box and found not a live rooting, but a
small envelope. What was inside was ONE seed! D----
expensive seed!
Will NEVER order from them again.
Yukon1