The scoop on 'Sand Mountain Herbs'

Sand Mountain Herbs

321 County Road 18
Fyffe, Alabama 35971 (United States)

This company is affiliated with 1 company:This company offers a variety of seeds.

Comments:

Positive evincent
Mons
Belgium
February 17, 2014
My order was delivered today and I'm very happy with the result. Quality packaging, generous amount of seeds and hand-writed indications for sewing.
I found the site by google when I was desesperately looking for groundnuts (apios americana) and other american plants. All european companies were sold out for these, thus, I take a bet on Sand Mountain Herbs and these awesome catalog of their. Ordered January 24th, refund for two missing plants on February 3rd and delivered today. The fifteen days was for crossing Atlantic... And groundnuts tubers are in perfect shape!
More, I paid $8 for shipping but I see on the mail package it cost $14,90!
Now, I'm looking for sending the missing amount of money... I hope they will correct shipping cost for Europe because I'm pretty sure to order more seeds next year.
Positive Capn_Dave
Tallahassee, FL
February 13, 2014
Ground Nut, Apios Americana; just arrived yesterday (2-12-14). Double packaged as other reviewer described. Approx 9 days, order to delivery. Ordered 25; received 30. I'm pleased.
Negative blueskyfd11
Harrison Valley, PA (Zone 5a)
December 12, 2013
Also known as HERBROOTS which I have posted on that as well. When I sent payment in for ground nuts and passionflower vines through pay pal, never received an acknowledgment for the payment which should have been my first red flag, since then i have tried many times to e-mail through SANDMONTAINHERBS, HERBROOTS, personal e-mails and even on facebook and they will not acknowledge me, I've only stated that if they would please let me know when they would be shipped so I would be home to receive them now that temps are in the low teens at night and daytime around 20 degrees. Never sent any rude e-mails and yet still they do not answer back. If by any SLIM chance they are honorable and will send live healthy plants and not dead ones like some people do to get out of paying back what they owe, I will come back in and apologize and make right on my ratings BUT since I will not hear from them, I will be posting over the many plant sites I belong to and some I don't and even other places just to warn people. I know I'm not the only person with an extremely limited income and cannot afford this to happen again. There goes my chance for some Christmas gifts and I'm getting fed up with cheesy companies that WILL NOT stand behind an HONORABLE system.
Positive SteveOh
Cherry Grove, OH (Zone 6b)
May 23, 2013
I ordered some seeds and tubers from Sand Mountain Herbs and was extremely pleased with both the quality and quantity of the product shipped. I definitely feel the prices were extremely reasonable considering the quality and quantity received.

The seed packets were hand-packaged (double packaged in a ziplock sealed with extra tape, then placed in a small brown-paper envelope with growing instructions). The packets contained 2-3 times the seed count of similarly-priced packets I had purchased from other vendors.

The tubers were apios americana. I ordered 4, I received 13 sized from 0.5" to 2.5". Again these were double packaged. Both layers were ziplocks sealed with tape and had a moist paper towel placed inside. The tubers arrived in perfect condition and several were sprouting.

Shipping was also good, I received the package earlier than expected. I did not receive an order confirmation from the vendor, but I did receive one from paypal.

Negative swede69
Dighton, MA
March 19, 2013
I've done a limited amt.of business with Sand Mountain for several years and until now I've been quite satisfied however,
last year I ordered several hundred Salvia Apiana seeds. In years past I've been able to achieve a 20-30% germination rate [ in greenhouse / Ma.], which I believe is quite good for s.apiana. After four plantings of 100+ seeds, I only achieved a 1-2% germ. rate. I emailed the Chandlers twice questioning the viability of the seed and if they would be willing to send replacement seeds. They never responded to my queries. I have ordered from different sources this spring and guess I just wanted to express my disappointment.
swede
Negative Daydarlng
Midwest City, OK
June 10, 2012
I ordered a total of 9 herb seeds from this company, back in February of 2012: wormwood,yarrow, lovage, blue hyssop, sage, burdock, aconite, valerian and orach.

They arrived in the mail quite well, in a couple of weeks, so I was able to start my planting.

Unfortunately of all of these, only the burdock actually sprouted. The other seeds never showed any sign of life - I didn't plant the aconite yet, obviously.

I tried to contact them, the emails bounce, there is no phone number on their website, stay away, poor quality products and non-existent customer support.
Neutral quntmphscs
Falcon, MO
March 4, 2011
I have ordered in the past and have had friends do so with no problems, until this last order. I ordered my herb roots in November. The confirmation email said they'd be mailed sometime from Nov - Feb. There were several good planting days in January and I was really getting anxious to get my roots in. So I started emailing him.

The email to the Root area of the company bounced. The emails to Sand Mountain herbs went ignored. So I decided to be patient and wait till Feb. Finally on the last day of February I was getting mad.

I couldn't find a phone number anywhere on either of his sites. I search my emails and found an old email from him promoting his son's website business. So I called his son.

I eventually got to talk to the owner who didn't seem to know that emails were bouncing and said he hadn't been to the site in a while. He's been pretty sick the last few months so I'll give him that.

However, if his son is the web master for his site, then his son could have put a notice up that emails wouldn't be answered and orders weren't currently being filled.

I"m finally getting my order filled, minus the Ginseng, and he said I"d get a refund check for that.

I understand that he was sick and I"m sorry for that. But this year was CRUCIALLY important for me to get herbs in since I"m an herbalist and starting my business in a new location. I"m now a year behind on the ginseng and it's now warm and March - not the time to be planting the roots I ordered.

I think someone in his family could have put a notice up and he should have a phone number on the website.

Not sure if I will order again, maybe for stuff that doesn't matter so much.
Positive sascwatch
December 9, 2010
I ordered a few things. He didn't have some things but credited me back. Overall a good experience. If he has something I need in the future... I will be placing another order. Thanks!
Positive PinetopPlanter
Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a)
May 6, 2010
Found this site via a plant/seed search. Was very pleased with my order! Seeds were in my hands in less than a week from payment, neatly labelled, including germination time and suggested temperature, and packed in a small plastic 'ziploc' within a small manilla envelope. Generous portion of seeds as well. My order was small; only three packets. I am very pleased!
Positive DonFromNJ
Secaucus, NJ
April 23, 2010
Seeds were in my hands exactly one week after order was received by Sand Mountain Herbs, and arrived just as as ordered. I'm pleased.
Positive skinnejj
Bellville, TX
April 14, 2010
I was looking for groundnuts (apios americana) and found them at Sand Mountain Herbs. I was a little nervous when ordering because the "number of seeds per pack" was listed as "1"... I had to wonder, was I getting 1 groundnut tuber? Maybe 1 groundnut seed? I decided to risk it and was pleasantly surprised. I ordered on March 11th and received my order on March 18th via USPS. My order came regular mail and when I looked inside the box, I found six well wrapped (in wet newspaper), nicely moist, good-sized (1-1 1/2 inch) groundnut tubers. If you order from Sand Mountain Herbs, I think you just need to accept the fact that this is simply a regular guy, Larry Chandler, pretty much by himself - with maybe some help from his family - who provides folks with some pretty rare and hard to find plants/seeds. He says as much on his website under his "shipping policies." Understanding that fact, I'm just thankful that he does what he does. Oh, and all of my groundnuts from Larry have come up and are doing well. I imagine that next year, if Larry is still mailing out groundnuts, I'll buy some more.
Positive lillo80
Goleta, CA (Zone 10a)
March 5, 2010
I recently ordered some Licorice seeds, I received them promptly and all the seeds I planted germinated right away. Very happy!! Thanks!!
Positive genesis215
Columbus, OH
January 4, 2010
I received my order promptly and as ordered. I had no trouble at all. First time ordering here. I was excited to find seeds I could not find elsewhere. I like the handwritten information about germination on the seed packets - nice touch!
Positive ndps99
Holyoke, MA
March 27, 2009
Thanks to a Google search, I came across Sand Mountain Herbs and their great selection of unusual and obscure seeds along with more common varieties. This made shopping a 1-stop delight rather than ordering a packet of seeds from here and there.
I ordered only 4 packets but they arrived within a few days. They are very well packaged and professionally labeled. There is a sealed envelope of seeds within each small manila envelope in which there appears to be a tremendous amount of seeds of each variety.
My experience has been excellent! Can't wait to plant!
Negative NewMaineGuide
Oakland, ME
March 20, 2009
I ordered seeds from Sand Hill about 10 days ago. I paid by paypal. I received no confirmation email from the company. Today I called them, the phone was answered by a man who might have been deaf. I am not saying that as a joke, I mean he actually sounded deaf, he heard very little of what I was saying and I could hear a TV or something in the background turned up VERY loud. He asked when I placed the order. I said a few weeks ago. He then said he didnt have any records of me ordering on the 6th. I stated that I did not know if it was the 6th that I had ordered. He continued to state that all the orders placed on the 6th were sent out. I repeated that I was not sure about the date. He was not able to find my order by my name. I had to look up the date in my paypal records. He was then able to say he had shipped them on the 16th. He further stated that he had no tracking number and that he has had bad luck with the US Mail. But he shipped them by the US Mail. All in all, I would only recommend them as a last resort as I could not find another company with both improved dandelions and groundnuts.
Positive LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX (Zone 8a)
January 10, 2009
I've been ordering seeds by mail from Sand Mountain Herb for several years now and I am happy with the service they've given me and have grown some really good plants from those seeds. Thank you, Larry!
Neutral marytr
Pratt, KS
June 16, 2005
Thank you, Larry Chandler of Sand Mountain Herbs, for your promptness on sending my seeds. I thought wow that was fast!!!!

Editor's Note: The comments posted by "Ground_Nut" and "martry" were posted from the same computer. It is the policy of the Watchdog that users cannot create multiple identities in order to inflate a company's rating, nor can a company pose as its own customer in order to leave feedback. This rating was changed to neutral so that it would not affect the overall rating given by customers.
Positive poodzack
Woodbine, GA
May 14, 2005
I found this company on the web while searching for chia seed. They didn't have any of those listed but sure had a list of other interesting seeds and very reasonably priced. I ordered several pkts. of different seed. They didn't blister their feet getting them to me, but the seed I wanted arrived in time for planting. However, I did order early, it pays to check when the seed you desire are to be planted and order a couple months early.

I will continue to order from them and I highly recommend them for their medicinal herbs, they have the most listed at the best price of all the others I've experienced.
Positive thorspippi
Citrus Heights, CA (Zone 9a)
February 26, 2005
Not great at communication... I had to beg and plead for an order confirmation, instead of just the paypal receipt. However, since the reply came from his son (webmaster), I realized that the proprietor probably isn't a high-tech type.

Anyway. The order arrived quickly with very generous amounts of seeds.

Extra positive: I'd forgotten that I'd ordered a few seeds from him last year but never got around to trying to grow them. Thought I'd try them and see if they'd still sprout.
Sure enough, they're going like gangbusters.
Positive cfrei
Chino Valley, AZ
January 26, 2005
Fast service, generous seeds, fast refund on unavailable items, and germanation hints. Plus- hard to find seeds. Thanks c.
Positive Windy
Belleville , IL (Zone 6b)
January 24, 2005
I placed an order with this company based on the Garden Watchdog ratings.
I just received my order and there is a very generous amount in the packets. The site gives a minimum amount I suppose, because the seed amount I got was a lot over the amount on the site.
I would suggest getting your order in a few weeks before you intend to sow seed, though. It seems like they are rather slow compared to other companies I have dealt with.
But I don't fault them for that, just make sure you allow yourself the extra time to get them and don't wait until the last minute.
They had a good variety of things to offer also. I got some new things I couldn't find in other catalogs.
Positive CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a)
September 9, 2004
Prices are good, amount of seed is very generous and they have hard to find seeds but I didn't get great germination results with all the seeds I ordered even though I followed their directions with half, and soaked the other half and tried again.

On January 5th, 2005, CaptMicha added the following:

I wasn't clear in the fact that some seed had particularily high germination rates while others didn't.
On January 13th, 2005, CaptMicha changed the rating from neutral to positive and added the following:

I ordered from this company for the second time and I just received my seeds today. The order was processed and delivered extremely fast and they were very generous.

I will continue to order from this company in the future and would highly recommend them to anyone.
Positive kellyoconnor
August 25, 2004
Larry Chandler and his company Sand Mountain Herbs.com offers a fantastic service. Ordering is very easy. Paying for the product is very easy and the availability and shipping fulfullment is just super. I will certainly add this company to my favorite places to shop online links. I couldn't ask for better service and I'm thrilled Larry Chandler and Sand Mountain Herbs.com had the product I wanted when no other company could provide it. Be sure to check it out this very good resource.

Neutral Ground_Nut
Crossville, AL
August 23, 2004
They did a sending my order very quickly and on time. I got them earlier this year for my mother. I would recommend their herb seed service to anyone who would ask me. My mother loved the plants and I loved the prices! In fact they packed more seeds than indicated on the site according to my mother.

Positive MsEithne
July 22, 2004
In early 2004 I ordered seed from Sand Mountain Herbs. They sent me a prompt e-mail to let me know my order had been recorded and gave me an estimated date for the arrival of my order, which was in about two to three weeks. The order actually arrived within a week, so I was pleasantly surprised.

They did not have one of the seeds I'd ordered so they enclosed a check reimbursing me for that part of the order. This wasn't a problem for me because it was still so early in the year.

The germination rate was high and each variety appeared to be what it was labelled as (plant, bloom colour, etc). I've had the occasional surprise from seeds in the past, so I don't make up my mind about a company until I've seen what the seeds grow into.

I was pleased and will be ordering from them again next winter.
Negative akhitt
Britton, MI
April 19, 2004
I ordered a packet of seeds from this company on March 1st. I paid immediately through Paypal and received an e-mail the next day from them confirming receipt of payment and stating that the seeds should arrive in 1-2 weeks, and would be sent USPS first class. A little over three weeks passed, so I sent an e-mail, inquiring as to the status of the order. I received no reply, so a few days later, I e-mailed again, asking if there was a problem with the order, if the seeds were out of stock, or if they had been sent. Five days later, I received two replies, one to each e-mail I sent, stating that they were changing the "1-2 weeks" time frame, because it takes them 2-3 days to pack the order, and the postal service sometimes takes longer than the remaining time to deliver first class mail. They stated that my order had been shipped, and should arrive anytime, and to e-mail in a few days if the order was not received and they would re-send it. On 4/8, I sent another e-mail, letting them know that the order had not arrived and asking them to re-send or issue a refund through Paypal. I received no reply. Today, 4/19, I received a copy of my invoice in the mail, with a handwritten note that the seeds are out of stock until November 2004, and a personal check for the amount I paid. The check is dated 3/26, the day after my first e-mail, days before I was told the order had been shipped.

I'm glad I got my money back, but I'm disappointed, as these seeds should've been started by now and now I'm going to have to look for very hard-to-find plants. I'm also a bit put off by receiving a personal check rather than a Paypal refund, and am very hopeful that it won't lead to further issues. The company has an interesting catalog and I was tempted to order much more, but I wanted to wait until I knew they could deliver, since I've had issues in the past with ordering from small online companies. I'm just really disappointed.
Positive gardenhopper
April 26, 2003
Wonderful selection and service!